American Fertility Services

Greenwich
100 Putnam Green
Greenwich, CT 06830
203 774-9900
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Melvin Thornton to a friend?

6.8

Good

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend American Fertility Services to a friend?
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
I don’t think he [Dr. Thornton] was a bad doctor however as part of a corporation they did not deliver what they promised. ... I felt as though every transfer the medical protocol was exactly the same. I remember our surrogate expressing frustration that every medical protocol was exactly the same. She really wanted them to change things up since she was a successful surrogate before.
It was just an awful experience. ... They [nursing staff] lacked compassion. On one occasion they sent us an email to inform us we had a miscarriage. They had no care or understanding how emotional this was for us. ... It [CT Fertility] was run by a corporation, so things that were promised they went back on ... We were treated like numbers. ... Very disorganized, never go to a clinic that is managed by a corporation because they only care about making money and not about the end results.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Melvin Thornton at CT Fertility?
I don’t think he was a bad doctor however as part of a corporation they did not deliver what they promised. For example he told us if we paid to have genetic testing done he would not charge us for the transfer since he knew money was very tight for us. We got billed anyway, and when I questioned it he told me the financial department said he couldn’t do that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melvin Thornton at CT Fertility?
It was run by a corporation, so things that were promised they went back on
Describe the protocols Melvin Thornton used in your cycles at CT Fertility and their degree of success.
They lacked compassion. On one occasion they sent us an email to inform us we had a miscarriage. They had no care or understanding how emotional this was for us.
Describe your experience with CT Fertility.
Very disorganized, never go to a clinic that is managed by a corporation because they only care about making money and not about the end results. We were treated like numbers. The CFO told me understands what we are going through because his wife almost needed IVF. I was quick to remind him his insurance probably covered that and he would be allowed to claim it on his taxes, while as a gay couple we could not do either.
What specific things went wrong at CT Fertility?
CT Fertility
Trumbull
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Melvin Thornton at CT Fertility.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Given my relatively young age at the time (30) and no egg quality or quantity factors, he [Dr. Melvin Thornton] selected a not aggressive stem process that left me with little to no side effects and success on the first try...Given my age (30) and quality of eggs, he recommended eSET unless we were ok with multiples...I always personally saw Dr. Thornton or a trusted colleauge at each of my appointments. If it was not going to be Dr. Thornton, he would let me know in advance.
Hours and location were convenient for monitoring appointments [at Sher Fertility of New York]. Retrievals and transfers were done in the NYC office, which was also accommodating with hours (my transfer was on a Sunday). Did not batch patients which I liked. However, sometimes long waits. The reception staff in the Westchester office were sometimes less than understanding and could be abrasive.
European, Latino
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Melvin Thornton at Sher Fertility of New York?
Warm, compassionate, calming presence. Matter of fact about all aspects of treatment. Always reachable, provided us with his cell and direct email. Selected the appropriate protocol given our infertility factors and history.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melvin Thornton at Sher Fertility of New York?
Don't be afraid to push for more details and clarity when needed. He can sometimes act like the treatment is simplistic but if you ask questions he will always take the time to answer them thoughtfully.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melvin Thornton at Sher Fertility of New York?
Describe the protocols Melvin Thornton used in your cycles at Sher Fertility of New York and their degree of success.
Gonal F 225. Given my relatively young age at the time (30) and no egg quality or quantity factors, he selected a not aggressive stem process that left me with little to no side effects and success on the first try.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Shardae)
Always compassionate, however, tended to see many different nurses and instructions were not always clear.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Hours and location were convenient for monitoring appointments. Retrievals and transfers were done in the NYC office, which was also accommodating with hours (my transfer was on a Sunday). Did not batch patients which I liked. However, sometimes long waits. The reception staff in the Westchester office were sometimes less than understanding and could be abrasive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melvin Thornton at Sher Fertility of New York.
24K plus prescriptions.
Describe Melvin Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sher Fertility of New York.
Given my age (30) and quality of eggs, he recommended eSET unless we were ok with multiples. i agreed with this approach.
What specific things went wrong at Sher Fertility of New York?
Sher Fertility of New York
Purchase
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Melvin Thornton at Sher Fertility of New York.

2013 - 2014
Dr. Thornton was calm, funny, and had an easy-going nature. My husband and I felt comfortable with him. He was compassionate and understanding.... Dr. Thornton was knowledgeable, calm, compassionate, patient, and flexible. My husband and I felt like we were under so much pressure (as I know so many couples do) and this certainly aided in our struggles. One month we couldn't go through with IUI and Dr. Thornton sat down with us and calmly talked us, through. On the month that we conceived, due to pressure, our sample wasn't strong and Dr. Thornton was flexible and allowed us to come in the next day for a back to back IUI.
The Center For Women's Reproductive Care [Columbia U] had convenient hours. While it was a first come first serve system, you were able to get to the center early in hopes of getting in and out in a timely manner. The staff was wonderful. Depending on the day, wait time to get in for your appointment could vary....The nursing staff were kind, reassuring, and kept us in the loop. They were supportive and positive.... Dr. Thornton was calm, funny, and had an easy-going nature.
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Melvin Thornton at Columbia University?
Dr. Thornton was knowledgeable, calm, compassionate, patient, and flexible. My husband and I felt like we were under so much pressure (as I know so many couples do) and this certainly aided in our struggles. One month we couldn't go through with IUI and Dr. Thornton sat down with us and calmly talked us, through. On the month that we conceived, due to pressure, our sample wasn't strong and Dr. Thornton was flexible and allowed us to come in the next day for a back to back IUI. That cycle we conceived our son.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melvin Thornton at Columbia University?
Do not be scared to ask questions. He is quite patient, understanding and down to Earth.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melvin Thornton at Columbia University?
Describe the protocols Melvin Thornton used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Our infertility was unexplained at the time. I was placed on Clomid and we did Clomid and IUI. We conceived on our 3rd IUI cycle (4 IUI in total).
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The Center For Women's Reproductive Care had convenient hours. While it was a first come first serve system, you were able to get to the center early in hopes of getting in and out in a timely manner. The staff was wonderful. Depending on the day, wait time to get in for your appointment could vary.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melvin Thornton at Columbia University.
I just had to pay copays.
Describe Melvin Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
Columbia University
West Harrison
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Melvin Thornton at Columbia University.

He [Dr. Thornton] went above and betond to make me feel comfortable. He is an amazing doctor....Bedside manner, positive attitude, friendly, understanding and compassionate. I am an adult but young but he treated me in a well respected manner and I am very appreciative of that.I cannot wait until I get the results that I am seeking but I am confident that with his help I will be there soon....As friendly as Dr. Thornton. they [nursing staff] are amazing and friendly...
The strengths of this clinic [CT Fertility] is their staff and environment. It is very clean and very comforting. I am approached every time with a smile and a warm greeting. This clinic does not have any weaknesses.... As friendly as Dr. Thornton. they [nursing staff] are amazing and friendly....Bedside manner, positive attitude, friendly, understanding and compassionate. I am an adult but young but he treated me in a well respected manner and I am very appreciative of that.
How was your experience with Melvin Thornton at CT Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melvin Thornton at CT Fertility?
Patience
He went above and betond to make me feel comfortable. He is an amazing doctor.
As friendly as Dr. Thornton. they are amazing and friendly.
Describe your experience with CT Fertility.
The strengths of this clinic is their staff and environment. It is very clean and very comforting. I am approached every time with a smile and a warm greeting. This clinic does not have any weaknesses.
CT Fertility