Nurse available by email
FellowshipNIH
8901 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20889
301-400-2151
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Micah Hill to a friend?
5.7

5.9

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ART Institute of Washington to a friend?
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Other
I didn’t see him [Dr. Hill] until I got the bad news of not doing the transfer and he was not very kind during that conversation and then I saw him once right before retrieveal...He seems very knowledgeable...my estrogen levels got super high so they took me down at one point to 75 of Gonal F however i was not made aware of this until the day before retrieval. This was devastating news because the ENTIRE time during monitoring I was not warned that my estrogen levels were trending up and I thought we would be going home with an embryo transfered.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Micah Hill at ART Institute of Washington?
He seems very knowledgeable I wish he would see his pts during the cycle not just the day or retireveal or if something is wrong. His staff seems rushed, impersonable, and cold at times. They are horrible at responding to emails, phone calls are almost never andwered.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Micah Hill at ART Institute of Washington?
I would just tell her to be assertive and if anything seems off to make sure to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Micah Hill at ART Institute of Washington?
I didn’t see him until I got the bad news of not doing the transfer and he was not very kind during that conversation and then I saw him once right before retrieveal.
Describe the protocols Micah Hill used in your cycles at ART Institute of Washington and their degree of success.
I was on 150 of Gonal F and 1ml of Menopur. However my estrogen levels got super high so they took me down at one point to 75 of Gonal F however i was not made aware of this until the day before retrieval. This was devastating news because the ENTIRE time during monitoring I was not warned that my estrogen levels were trending up and I thought we would be going home with an embryo transfered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at ART Institute of Washington. (Assigned nurse: Darshana Niack )
The nursing staff is horriable about responding to emails and almost never answer their phones or call back their pts who leave voicemails. I’ve waited days or sometimes weeks to hear back and then had to call and be aggressive to get an a email reply back, not even a phone call. They are supposed to work closely along with the Urology team for Male factor infertility but they often do not have a clue about the processes, procedures or hardly ever communicate with their team for the procedure. The patient truly has to be their own advocate. There were many times I felt I should have gotten care else where.
Describe your experience with ART Institute of Washington.
Strengths is they are willing to work with you on certain things and the clinic itself is very clean and kept nicely. Weaknesses is just the staffs attitudes (receptionist Trina) and the attitudes of the nurses, it makes you feel unwelcome and unpleasant. I have personally witnessed the front office staff talk very rudely over the phone with a client and have witnessed the nurses act like they don’t have the time of day to answer your questions during the cycle. It truly feels like a cattle call.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at ART Institute of Washington.
It was very much so like a cattle call. You took a number sat for your lab draw, don’t ask questions because that messed up their flow, then sat and waited for your ultrasound which also went very fast and again felt rushed and I was defiantly not getting all the information at that appointment. Hence the reason I was so upset upon finding out there would be no greasy transfer. Because everyone I was coming in intact with kept telling me how “young and healthy” I was..
Describe the costs associated with your care under Micah Hill at ART Institute of Washington.
ICSI $8342 Admin fee $361
Describe Micah Hill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at ART Institute of Washington.
None to date
Bethesda

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Micah Hill at ART Institute of Washington.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Hill was the one who personally contacted me after our results came back letting us know we had 1 healthy embryo. Dr. Hill did a great job answering all my questions and was very knowledgeable on how transfer would go and what my next steps were. He made me feel more comfortable in an otherwise chaotic slightly chaotic environment doing fertility treatments through military hospitals...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Micah Hill at ART Institute of Washington?
Being treated at Walter Reed’s military ART Institute of Washington is a very different experience from a private fertility clinic. That being said I only had the chance to see Dr. Hill twice in my cycle and they were on the day of Egg Retrieval and soon to be Transfer in May. He was the one who’s name I saw on everything so I knew he was important. We see a lot of doctors throughout our care at ART. On the day of my Egg Retrieval Dr. Hill took his time explaining everything also noting that this was my second cycle with ART and had knowledge of my history. With so many doctors and so many patients to handle this fact meant a lot to me. After Retrieval we did PGS testing on our embryos that made it to Day 5 due to a history of RPL. After a two week wait for the results, Dr. Hill was the one who called me to tell us our results. We got one normal healthy embryo. He was very kind and answered all my questions as well as telling me who would be contacting me with next steps. His tone of voice indicated that he knew how special this was for my husband and myself and that meant a lot.
To be persistent with the clinic. Know that you will not always see the same doctor, if ever at all. But know that the doctors do talk and decide on your treatment as a whole. It’s good to have one doctor as a point person but knowing you won’t always see or hear from that doctor keeps expectations in check for a military clinic.
This was my second round of IVF with ART at Walter Reed. Though I had never met Dr. Hill before he is one that presided over the REs at Walter Reed. He was there the day of my Egg Retrieval and he was very kind and went over everything with my husband and myself. We did PGS testing due to my RPL diagnosis and Dr. Hill was the one who personally contacted me after our results came back letting us know we had 1 healthy embryo. Dr. Hill did a great job answering all my questions and was very knowledgeable on how transfer would go and what my next steps were. He made me feel more comfortable in an otherwise chaotic slightly chaotic environment doing fertility treatments through military hospitals.
After one failed IVF cycle due to poor response to medication and BC before start, I only two eggs retrieved first cycle. After a consultation with ART they tweaked my protocol and was put on an estrace priming protocol with no BC and Microdose Lupron. This protocol made a huge difference in the outcome. I still didn’t produce as many eggs as other women but I had 11 retrieved and 7 were mature and fertilized. The small change in protocol made a huge difference in my outcome. I now know what my body responds to better which I’m happy with.
There are three nurses I saw many times during my two IVF cycles at ART. Darshana and Val did all of the blood work and contact in person and email. I spoke with Darshana most often and she was wonderful at returning phone calls and emails. Giselle is the nurse who you saw on day of Egg Retrieval and she was always upbeat and fun to talk to. She always made you feel comfortable and made sure things flowed as they should.
Describe your experience with ART Institute of Washington.
The knowledge behind ART Institute of Washington is great. So the quality of care you are getting is top notch and leading in the field. The downside is the communication behind clinic and patient is not always great. As the patient you find you are doing a lot more of the leg work and planning and unless you’re the one to do the research and ask questions not all doctors or nurses will fill you in. Sometimes it felt as though you were a cattle in a cattle car line up, one after another. However, the clinic does service the entire military infertility family. There are only three in the United States. They care for so many patients at one time and they are cycling through over 40-50 patients a cycle. Once you realize the atmosphere and how things work you become more accustomed to the environment and how to get what you need. That being said I still believe communication could be worked on so that the patient feels more connected with the process and next steps.
It was different because we were military. My husband is In the service so we were able to go to ART Institute of Washington. We paid for the IVF procedure, ICSI, freezing costs and additional PGS costs. The hospital had medication that you are able to get from the onsite pharmacy.

Male Factor, Other
I can’t really write anything about him [Dr. Hill]. I only met with him twice in the three cycle I had through them. One thing I will say is that he didn’t give me all the options I feel like I should have had. He described IVF and the procedure but nothing more. I never knew my numbers of my blood draws but they did tell me the egg information every time I went in.... My Dr. had a very strong opinion on transferring only 1 embryo if you were under a certain age and how many rounds you have done. The only reason he gave us was that multiples was considered a failure in their eyes.
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Micah Hill at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
I can’t really write anything about him. I only met with him twice in the three cycle I had through them. One thing I will say is that he didn’t give me all the options I feel like I should have had. He described IVF and the procedure but nothing more. I never knew my numbers of my blood draws but they did tell me the egg information every time I went in.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Micah Hill at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
Do your research so you can ask questions. You basically have to go in knowing exactly what needs to be done.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Micah Hill at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center?
Every morning we went in at 7am. Took a number and waited for our blood draw. We then took another number and waited for our ultrasound. I only ever saw Dr. Hill twice in my 3 attempts with them. I only had one nurse who knew my name.
Describe the protocols Micah Hill used in your cycles at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and their degree of success.
The first round we did a Luteal Lupron cycle. I was on birth control for the month before starting the cycle and then I was on Lupron 20 units once a day for 2 weeks then went to 5 units until the day before retrieval. I started 300 units of Gonal-F in the morning when I went to 5 units of Lupron and 3 vials of Menopur in the evening for 10 days. On day 11 I took the HCG trigger shot. We got 3 eggs from this cycle and of those 3, 2 were fertilized. We transferred one of those 2 eggs on day 5 and froze the other My lining was a 9B. The day after transfer I started taking 100mg of endometrin suppositories 3 times a day. 10 days later I got my first BETA was a 7 then went down to a 1. First cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. Second round we did a Microdose Flare cycle. Started birth control a month before starting the shots. Day 1 I started taking 20 units of Microdose Lupron twice a day till retrieval. Day 2 I added 300 units of Gonal-F in the morning and 3 vials of Menopur at night. Day 13 we did the retrieval. We got 5 eggs and of those 5, 3 fertilized. We transferred 1 embryo at day 3, my lining was an 11A 5 days before transfer. I started taking 100mg of endometrin suppositories 3 times a day the day of retrieval. The cycle ended with a negative BETA at 10 DPT. The third round was a frozen transfer. Started with a month of birth control then went to 20 units of Lupron once a day until retrieval. 14 days after starting Lupron I added 1 1mg estrace pill twice a day for 4 days then went to 2 pills twice a day. The next day I started taking 2 pills 3 times a day. I started taking 1CC of progesterone once a day at night till my BETA. My lining was a 7A 8 days before transfer. This cycle ended in a negative BETA.
The nurses just did their job. Called your number, drew blood and did an ultra sound. There was only one nurse, she was the head nurse, that new my name and was companionate in any way.
Describe your experience with Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
The clinic is in a military hospital and therefor very militant. If you aren’t looking for someone to hold your hand through the process and give you all the information you need as a first time patient then this is not the place for you.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
We were told to be there between 6 and 7 am for every appointment. You took a number, sat down and waited to be called. It could take up to an hour or so to be called back. Once called you would get your blood drawn and get sent to another waiting area to wait again for an ultrasound.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Micah Hill at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
$510 non refundable fee $6383 Basic IVF with ICSI $568 Embryo cryopreservation $696 embryo cryopreserved storage after first year $2404 Cryopreserved embryo thawing $383 sperm cryopreservation $290 Sperm cryopreservation after first year $168 Semen analysis
Describe Micah Hill's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
DC

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Micah Hill at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

The doctor [Micah Hill] was excellent at explaining what was going on within the cycle and addressing concerns that arose. The down side was that he was not always the doctor involved with the day today screenings....When dealing with the doctor I was treated like a human, but the system [ART Institute of Washington] going through a cycle was significantly less personal.
How was your experience with Micah Hill at ART Institute of Washington?
The doctor was excellent at explaining what was going on within the cycle and addressing concerns that arose. The down side was that he was not always the doctor involved with the day today screenings.
Read all of the documentation that the clinic gives you and ask as many questions as you can in preparation of a cycle.
When dealing with the doctor I was treated like a human, but the system going through a cycle was significantly less personal.
The antagonist protocol was used with a Lupton trigger and an HCG shot after retrieval. I used suppositories for my progesterone. ICSI was used for fertilization. The clinic has a strict single embryo transfer policy, so only one embryo was transferred. This has produced a healthy singleton pregnancy with 3 embryos frozen.
It was a first come first serve, during the allotted time period. It wasn't always convenient but it was at the same time everyday.
The clinic had strict guidelines for embryo transfer because of this I was only able to transfer a single embryo. I felt that this was a good policy which explained a lot of the risks to myself and any potential babies. It also made the decision of how many embryos to transfer a lot easier to make.