Medical SchoolMcGill
Loudonville
399 Albany Shaker Road
Loudonville, NY 12211
518.434.9759
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Alper to a friend?
5.9

6.7

5.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Boston IVF to a friend?
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
My husband and I always left each consultation with dr A [Michael Alper] feeling much more positive and informed. He provided detailed insight on why cycles may have failed and why he's making the changes to the process he was making.... The first procedure was a natural IUI (no hormones). This was before we knew how messed up my natural cycles where. After that first cycle, we had ultrasound and blood test monitoring for each cycle to determine the best time for IUI. In addition to that, we also used ovadril shots for triggering and meds to keep my periods regular.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
My husband and I always left each consultation with dr A feeling much more positive and informed. He provided detailed insight on why cycles may have failed and why he's making the changes to the process he was making.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Do research prior to the first meeting and bring your questions written down. There is so much information being provided. It's good to have a way to document it during the meeting.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr A provides very clear information and does not sugar coat. He also understands the emotional rollercoaster aspect involved with these treatments.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tammy)
The entire staff at BIVF is caring, compassionate, and invested in each patient's process. Each time I would go in for an IUI, the nurse would take the time to explain the results of the sperm analysis and also wish me the best of luck. When they called to provide the negative results, you could also hear the pain in their voices. It meant a lot knowing they cared so much
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The strengths are the staff. All staff are kind, caring and extremely knowledgeable. One weakness is the billing. It's tough to gain clear understanding on how pieces of the process are billed to insurance or need to be out of pocket.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Costs surrounding consultations, blood work, ultrasounds, genetic testing, diagnostic procedures, and IUI procedures.
South Portland

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF.

Anovulation, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Alper was very knowledgeable with everything he told us and was very up front with what he thought the best course of action was for us. He never sugar coated things, but he wasn't so blunt about it that it seemed hurtful. He knew our case well and we both (husband) felt very comfortable in his presence. He was very sure of himself, which made our confidence in him high as well. Sometimes we felt a little rushed during our time with him, which usually lasted 1/2 hour or less, I knew I could contact his office at any time.
Anovulation, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Be patient and trust his expertise. It's such a hard reality not being able to conceive, but the experts know the best ways to handle your particular situation. Dr. Alper is definitely an expert in the field.
Dr. Alper was great with us - he knew our case very well and spoke to us in terms we could always understand. While our visits with him were usually brief and seemed a little rushed, he let me know that if I had any questions I could contact without hesitation and gave me contact info.
Dr. Alper's first piece of treatment was recommending having my right fallopian tube removed because it was leaking toxic fluid, preventing implantation. After that, he wanted us to try rounds of clomid to test ovulation. Once that was found unsuccessful, he wrote up a process for treatment through IVF for us. While we have not started the IVF process due to cost, we are hoping to in the near future.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara DelSignore)
Very thorough, always answered my calls or called me back quickly. Also responded promptly to e-mails providing the information I requested and never treated me like any of my questions were "stupid" or "irrelevant"
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Expensive, but accommodating to your schedule. Will try to get you in as soon as possible. Very clean and staff very knowledgeable. It's a scary process, but the staff there was nothing but friendly and sensitive to the topics at hand, knowing how sensitive it is for people/couples.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Office did not take my insurance, so we had to pay $200 out of pocket every time we saw the doctor.

IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr Alper is very knowledgeable and well recognized for fertility treatment. I have experienced two miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy and did not receive much compassion about this, although he provided me with factual and realistic information in regards to these occurrences. In my circumstances, he seemed to be very focused on the medical and scientific aspect of the treatment and did not seem to give any sympathy to my losses, which was hard for me. He provided me with very detailed and accurate information in regards to my procedures and what to expect.
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
If you are looking for bedside manner and emotional support through the process, I would recommend looking for a different provider
During my continued treatment, I have had a number of misfortunes; such as two chemical pregnancies and one ectopic pregnancy resulting in the removal of my fallopian tubes. I have had a number of diagnostic tests done and although I have follow ups to review the results, at my next visit, the Doctor suggesting testing that has already been completed and reviewed. This makes it seem as though he does not remember my case or take the time to review my file before my appointments.
When I started working with Dr Alper, I had already completed 5 failed IUI cycles with my OB/GYN. Dr Alper completed all of the initial testing and stated that I was young and healthy and there was no reason that In-Vitro should not work. He determined that one of my fallopian tubes appeared to be blocked but we would be bypassing that with the in-vitro so there was no need to worry. During my first in-vitro cycle I took the injectable medications during the initial egg retrieval process. I had 15 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, and one embryo transferred in a fresh cycle. After the embryo transfer, I was put on progesterone gel once time daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test, rising HCG until around 6 weeks and then miscarriage. Once my HCG level returned to 0, we completed a thaw cycle. This time after transfer I was put on progesterone suppository three times daily, estrogen patch that was changed 2 times a week, and estrogen pill two times daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with rising HCG until around 6 weeks with miscarriage. After this, Dr Alper did antibody testing, imaging of the lining of my uterus, and a biopsy of the lining of my uterus; all of these tests came back normal so Dr Alper approved another thaw cycle. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with HGC levels that were not rising appropriately. I was treated for ectopic, my HCG levels lowered, but it resulted in a hematoma in my fallopian tube, hemorrhage with internal bleeding, and I had both of my fallopian tubes removed as there was a cyst in my other tube. Still Dr Alper feels hopeful for a healthy pregnancy, although I am not feeling so optimistic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbra Delsignore)
Slow in returning phone calls with important results
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
My initial in vitro cycle with egg retrieval was 8,900 dollars and an additional 2500 for my injectable medications. When I used progesterone gel, this was 300 dollars for 2 weeks worth. My first thaw cycle was 3500 plus costs of medications, and my third thaw cycle was 4000 plus costs of medication. I had all of my monitoring ultrasounds and blood work done at a hospital that was more convenient for me, so this was an additional cost in my treatment.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
After my two miscarriages and ectopic pregnancy, Dr Alper approved to transfer 2 embryos at next transfer if this is what I wish to do.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr Alper was very compassionate and knowledgeable with the process. He was very kind and explained the process thoroughly. He also went above and beyond with testing during our recurrent losses. He is very busy and clearly has a heavy case load, which made us feel like just a number rather than a personal experience. This was a downside.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
If you are looking to feel like he genuinely knows your case, this is not the doctor for you. He is a great doctor, but doesn’t know he patients well.
Dr Alper clearly has a stellar reputation and sees many patients. He is also the coowner of BIVF, and goes to several of their locations. Because of this, we felt he didn’t know our case in detail. While sitting with him in the office, he would refer back to the computer with our information even on basic Information. I would have appreciated him studying up even briefly, prior to meeting with us. This is what made us feel like just another patient.
We knew, due to bloodwork, my amh level was low. Due to this we started at a higher gonalF level right from the beginning. Midcycle, he noticed I still wasn’t respond the way he wanted and upped the dosage. I liked that he made this adjustment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kristen)
Again, due to the size of this clinic there are many people handling your case. Some of the time, we heard from the primary nurse, however it was hearing from different people that we found challenegjng because they again didn’t know the fine details of our specific case. We had to explain and re-explain ourselves often.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Being a large clinic has its strengths and weaknesses. They have a high success rate, have incredibly high standards, and have many resources available. The staff we worked with unfortunately did not take the time to know our case thoroughly, in our opinion due to their high volume, leaving us feeling like we were just a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Fortunately most of our treatments (and medications) were covered by my insurance.
He is pretty firm on transferring one embryo at a time, even into your 30s. He stated several times that multiple embryo transfer on increases your chance of twins, not a pregnancy.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Waltham

Dr. Alper was very candid with the low chance of success of our initial treatment. He was also didn't push us toward the most invasive treatment for the first round. However, once we made the decision to move forward, it felt like we weren't his patients anymore and instead deposited on some sort of infertility procedure conveyor belt...Ask him to walk you through the process and his role once you make the decision to move forward. He was great at explaining the medical procedures and what they mean, but didn't tell us that the nurses basically did everything.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper did a fantastic job when we were in the appointments explaining the tests, what our diagnosis meant and not rushing us to make a decision.
Clomid IUI
When we went to our initial appointment, we met the nurse who worked with Dr. Alper. However, in the months that followed, we were passed from nurse to nurse. I would call and leave a message, but a different nurse would call me back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The place is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
None-Insurance covered the treadment
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?

How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
We only had the initial consultation, but we were given a clear course of action and made to feel as if we were a part of the process. Dr Alper seemed very straight forward and gave us our options. He was not overly emotional, for which I actually appreciate a lot. Many people can seem quite phony with their sympathy when they hear about your unfortunate situation, and I prefer a doctor who is matter of fact and does not dwell on the emotional bits. If you want tears and hugs, he may not be for you, but if you want someone who knows his stuff and gets the ball rolling, well you've got your doctor.
Go in with all your questions, he'll answer them all!
He was very friendly, coming out to the waiting room personally to get us, and allowed us to ask the many questions that we had. He seemed responsive to our needs
I am only in the testing stage right now, so we haven't come up with a treatment plan yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
They were prompt and sympathetic. They also made me feel as if they would accomadate my needs since I was located so far away.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Pleasant and peaceful with lots of beautiful baby pictures on the wall. Seemed very clean and organized. I went to the Bangor ME facility, which is apparently run by an outside group. The secretaries in charge of checking us in didn't have anything useful to tell us since they were not directly associated with BostonIVF. Overall though a pleasant experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
My insurance has covered it so far.
South Portland

He [Dr. Alper] was honest and I felt he directed me the best way he knew how. I trusted his recommendations and I believe he gave me the best options....He wasn't pushy on which path to take. He listened to my concerns and even was willing to make adjustments based on those concerns....After testing and receiving the unknown infertility diagnosis, IUI was suggested. After 2 rounds of IUI with clomid, a third round was attempted with monitoring. After our failed attempts Dr Alper recommended IVF.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
He was honest and I felt he directed me the best way he knew how. I trusted his recommendations and I believe he gave me the best options. He wasn't pushy on which path to take. He listened to my concerns and even was willing to make adjustments based on those concerns.
Ask questions. He's very easy to talk with.
After testing and receiving the unknown infertility diagnosis, IUI was suggested. After 2 rounds of IUI with clomid, a third round was attempted with monitoring. After our failed attempts Dr Alper recommended IVF. He stated from the beginning that IVF would have the highest success rate but it was our choice to trial the IUI's first
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbra)
She was wonderful. Great communicator. Very professional.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: non-judgemental, professional, caring. I can't think of any weaknesses
South Portland
We had a horrible experience with Dr Alper! After failed IUIs, we did an IVF cycle where 21 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo came out of it due to poor quality eggs from his set protocol. He also did not put me on metformin despite my pcos. When we met to review, he said he wouldn’t change my protocol going forward. We switched to CCrM Boston with Dr Zimon and got 11 embryos and I’m not currently pregnant. Please don’t waste your time with him!
Run!
He follows pre-set protocols and does not adjust medications or care plans based on your situation.
Very basic pre set protocol with dosing. I was on gonal-f and certitude. Trigger was ovidrel.
Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Boston ivf is like a factory but you get in and out quick for ultrasounds. You also get a random doctor doing your retrieval and transfer. Ultrasounds are done by techs rather than the doctors themselves (like CCrM Boston).