6.3

Loudonville
399 Albany Shaker Road
Loudonville, NY 12211
518.434.9759

We are young and I have a high AMH so [Dr.Alper] customized our protocol so we wouldn’t overstimulate...took lots of notes on our situation so every time we saw him or spoke over the phone he was very up to date on our individualized care. He does care about your success and will do what needs to be done and is very thorough on explaining things but can be a little quick to get you out of his office. I have left feeling like I didn’t always have my questioned answered
Nursing staff [at Boston IVF] has been wonderful. Communication with them is great. Financial office is bad. Not good with communication, gives very little information when needed. Their office is small and I love that about it because you feel less like a number. They often refer to us as the “travelers” because we have to travel 3 hours to get to the office, but it feels so personal and sweet and I love that they are a small enough clinic to remember their patients.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
Our overall experience thus far with dr. Alper has been good. He is great at explaining the process of IVF and the logistics. I have a couple autoimmune diseases and we were beginning to look into IVF when one of them went into a dangerous flare. No matter how many times I begged him to start, he told us he wanted the best outcome for us and wanted me to be at my healthiest. That appointment was HARD. But I now appreciate him pushing off our treatment because it showed he cared about us and in the end was the right decision. I am a very straight to the point “give me all the details” kind of patient and he is a “everything is fine” “trust me” kind of doctor. He has a lot of faith in the process and that things will work out and definitely looks on the bright side of all things. While this is great and some patients might really appreciate this, this is where we butt heads a little bit because I like the cold hard truth. I like to see my specific results for everything, I like to hear opinions good and bad on everything and weigh pros and cons. Being Informed is best in my opinion and he doesn’t usually give all the information, just a summarized “best” version. I do like him as our doctor and so far our experience moving forward through IVF has been wonderful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
Be an advocate for yourself. This goes for any doctor. But test results don’t always tell the full truth, otherwise “unexplained infertility” wouldn’t be a thing. Write your questions down and push to have them answered. Don’t be afraid to be assertive about your particular situation if you have concerns. Communication is great so typically that isn’t something to worry about. Just be an advocate for yourself!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
Dr Alper took lots of notes on our situation so every time we saw him or spoke over the phone he was very up to date on our individualized care. He does care about your success and will do what needs to be done and is very thorough on explaining things but can be a little quick to get you out of his office. I have left feeling like I didn’t always have my questioned answered, which was why I didn’t rate him “perfect” on this scale. I’ve learned to be a bit more assertive asking questions so we now work well together.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF - The Maine Center and their degree of success.
We are young and I have a high AMH so Alper customized our protocol so we wouldn’t overstimulate. We did Gonal F, Cetrotide, and a Lupron trigger. There was a risk for hyperstimulation for me but dr Alper was really great with lowering my dosages and watching everything closely so that didn’t happen. Our IVF cycle produced 35 eggs retrieved, 27 of those fertilized, 17 made it to day 5 embryos and were frozen, 7 of those came back pgs normal embryos. We were very happy with our outcome of our IVF cycle. Due to Covid 19 we haven’t been able to move forward to our transfer yet. With my autoimmune conditions I advocated for immune protocols for our transfer but Alper is a bit reserved when it comes to “experimental treatment”. Or treatment/protocols without enough evidence to support. We’ve lost 5 pregnancies so this was important to us to try but he was strict on his opinion. He took us seriously though and pushed for second and third opinions from other doctors, which I appreciated. Dr. Alper cares.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Maine Center. (Assigned nurse: Tiffany)
My nurse Tiffany has been the best part of my treatment at Boston IVF. She is amazing. Great at communicating, very fast at getting back to you. She is so organized! I don’t know how she does it handling so many people but she does an amazing job making you feel like you are her only patient. The financial office is bad with communication. Not good with sharing pertinent information. We were hit with an unexpected huge bill and nobody communicated with us. Their phlebotomist is amazing!! She is so sweet and always makes you feel so good. She asks how we’re doing and how things are going and truly cares about you. It’s nice to have someone ask those questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
Nursing staff has been wonderful. Communication with them is great. Financial office is bad. Not good with communication, gives very little information when needed. Their office is small and I love that about it because you feel less like a number. They often refer to us as the “travelers” because we have to travel 3 hours to get to the office, but it feels so personal and sweet and I love that they are a small enough clinic to remember their patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
We had a cap of 10k for insurance coverage which we feel so blessed to have. Our IVF cycle (ministering, retrieval, freezing of embryos) cost is about 2000. Our pgs testing (which we were not given any information about regarding cost or what to expect) cost us 8,000. This was unexpected and we weren’t prepared to handle it. Our transfer will be out of pocket.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
For our particular situation I am considered high risk with pregnancy so he strongly advised us not to transfer more than one. We never wanted more than 1 transferred at a time anyway so this wasn’t an issue.
South Portland

Dr Alper is very knowledgeable and well recognized for fertility treatment. I have experienced two miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy and did not receive much compassion about this, although he provided me with factual and realistic information in regards to these occurrences. In my circumstances, he seemed to be very focused on the medical and scientific aspect of the treatment and did not seem to give any sympathy to my losses, which was hard for me. He provided me with very detailed and accurate information in regards to my procedures and what to expect.
Clinic [Boston IVF-South Portland] was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
If you are looking for bedside manner and emotional support through the process, I would recommend looking for a different provider
During my continued treatment, I have had a number of misfortunes; such as two chemical pregnancies and one ectopic pregnancy resulting in the removal of my fallopian tubes. I have had a number of diagnostic tests done and although I have follow ups to review the results, at my next visit, the Doctor suggesting testing that has already been completed and reviewed. This makes it seem as though he does not remember my case or take the time to review my file before my appointments.
When I started working with Dr Alper, I had already completed 5 failed IUI cycles with my OB/GYN. Dr Alper completed all of the initial testing and stated that I was young and healthy and there was no reason that In-Vitro should not work. He determined that one of my fallopian tubes appeared to be blocked but we would be bypassing that with the in-vitro so there was no need to worry. During my first in-vitro cycle I took the injectable medications during the initial egg retrieval process. I had 15 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, and one embryo transferred in a fresh cycle. After the embryo transfer, I was put on progesterone gel once time daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test, rising HCG until around 6 weeks and then miscarriage. Once my HCG level returned to 0, we completed a thaw cycle. This time after transfer I was put on progesterone suppository three times daily, estrogen patch that was changed 2 times a week, and estrogen pill two times daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with rising HCG until around 6 weeks with miscarriage. After this, Dr Alper did antibody testing, imaging of the lining of my uterus, and a biopsy of the lining of my uterus; all of these tests came back normal so Dr Alper approved another thaw cycle. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with HGC levels that were not rising appropriately. I was treated for ectopic, my HCG levels lowered, but it resulted in a hematoma in my fallopian tube, hemorrhage with internal bleeding, and I had both of my fallopian tubes removed as there was a cyst in my other tube. Still Dr Alper feels hopeful for a healthy pregnancy, although I am not feeling so optimistic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Maine Center. (Assigned nurse: Barbra Delsignore)
Slow in returning phone calls with important results
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
Clinic was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
My initial in vitro cycle with egg retrieval was 8,900 dollars and an additional 2500 for my injectable medications. When I used progesterone gel, this was 300 dollars for 2 weeks worth. My first thaw cycle was 3500 plus costs of medications, and my third thaw cycle was 4000 plus costs of medication. I had all of my monitoring ultrasounds and blood work done at a hospital that was more convenient for me, so this was an additional cost in my treatment.
After my two miscarriages and ectopic pregnancy, Dr Alper approved to transfer 2 embryos at next transfer if this is what I wish to do.
2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Alper was very candid with the low chance of success of our initial treatment. He was also didn't push us toward the most invasive treatment for the first round. However, once we made the decision to move forward, it felt like we weren't his patients anymore and instead deposited on some sort of infertility procedure conveyor belt...Ask him to walk you through the process and his role once you make the decision to move forward. He was great at explaining the medical procedures and what they mean, but didn't tell us that the nurses basically did everything.
The place [Boston IVF] is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper did a fantastic job when we were in the appointments explaining the tests, what our diagnosis meant and not rushing us to make a decision.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Clomid IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
When we went to our initial appointment, we met the nurse who worked with Dr. Alper. However, in the months that followed, we were passed from nurse to nurse. I would call and leave a message, but a different nurse would call me back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The place is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
None-Insurance covered the treadment
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Information was conveyed in my description of the clinic.
Waltham

We had a horrible experience with Dr Alper! After failed IUIs, we did an IVF cycle where 21 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo came out of it due to poor quality eggs from his set protocol. He also did not put me on metformin despite my pcos. When we met to review, he said he wouldn’t change my protocol going forward. We switched to CCrM Boston with Dr Zimon and got 11 embryos and I’m not currently pregnant. Please don’t waste your time with him!
Boston ivf is like a factory but you get in and out quick for ultrasounds. You also get a random doctor doing your retrieval and transfer. Ultrasounds are done by techs rather than the doctors themselves (like CCrM Boston).... Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!... Very basic pre set protocol with dosing. I was on gonal-f and certitude. Trigger was ovidrel.... He follows pre-set protocols and does not adjust medications or care plans based on your situation.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Run!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles...I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. ... Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk [Boston IVF] could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF - The Maine Center?
Meeting Dr. Alper for the first time was a quick 20 minute consult, which was surprising to me since we were paying a large sum out of pocket for this visit. He described the general process of IVF and said he would send the information to his nurse. I was really taken back by the lack of personality and how business like it was. I continued to get treatment with him as my doctor because it was convenient for my job and location. I thought maybe I was being too critical and my husband agreed. After the first round of IVF, the only time I spoke or met with Doctor Alper was our consult and the meeting after hearing we were not pregnant. This meeting was to go over the first round and our next steps. This meeting was about 20 minutes as well. I was disappointed that Dr. Alper was my doctor, but never did any of my egg retrievals or transfers. I was not informed by him that he would not be doing either procedure. For my second round of IVF he adjusted my medications and steps we would take to conceive. When it was time to transfer the embryos, he did listen to my husband and my opinion about transferring both embryos. We did conceive! Only to have a chemical pregnancy a couple weeks later. During that time, I worked with my nurse and another doctor in the office. I couldn't believe that my own doctor was not helping my husband and I through the difficult time. Dr. Alper did call a few weeks after my chemical pregnancy to discuss next steps and informed me that I did not have a miscarriage, but a chemical pregnancy. The way he told me that made me feel awful. I felt like he could have explained the difference to me in a more gentle way. Dr. Alper is a very smart man and it showed during our conversations. I just feel like it wasn't a good match. Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster. Looking back at my experience with Dr. Alper, I wished I stood my ground and did what I felt was right for me instead of listening to others and thinking “I am new to this world of IVF and maybe this is just how it is.”
Be up front with him on what you need or want. Ask him if he can give you what you need/want. If not, find another doctor. Be your own advocate.
I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. It did not make me feel very comfortable with the financial and emotional burden for a "Well, maybe we should try this... no, I think I would like to try this instead..." On another note, Dr. Alper was my doctor who reviewed my progress and gave instructions for our plan forward, but he never did any of my egg retrieval or transfers. This was unexpected the first time going through the IVF process.
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles, so he wanted to start me on the lowest dosage of Gonal F he has prescribed. He started me on 150 units of Gonal F for the first few nights then lowered it down to 87.5 units for the reminder of injections. He lowered the dosage due to the fact that my hormone level was too high and they needed my eggs to develop more slowly. For this round of IVF they collected 20 eggs, 7 eggs were fertilized and 5 became embryos. The transfer was on day 3 and my remaining embryos did not make it to day 5 to freeze. For my second round of IVF, he prescribed 100 units of Gonal F due to the fact that my follicles grew too quickly last cycle. 10 eggs were collected, 5 fertilized and 4 were embryos. We transferred 2 embryos on day 3 due to the quality of my eggs and thinking they would not last until day 5. This would give them a better chance to survive. I did conceive this cycle, but ended with a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF - The Maine Center. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Del Signore)
My nurse was very friendly and compassionate. She was very kind and was always willing to help in any way she could. My only complaint was she was disorganized and when I would call or email her with questions or concerns, she didn't seem like she knew what she was talking about.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF - The Maine Center.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
Cost was around $8,900 for IVF, egg retrieval and transfer. The medication was separate. The medication cost around $2300. Cost was around $10,500 for IVF w/ICIS, egg retrieval and transfer. This cost was with a 25% discount through the clinic. The medication was around $2000.