5.8

Loudonville
399 Albany Shaker Road
Loudonville, NY 12211
518.434.9759

Dr Alper is very knowledgeable and well recognized for fertility treatment. I have experienced two miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy and did not receive much compassion about this, although he provided me with factual and realistic information in regards to these occurrences. In my circumstances, he seemed to be very focused on the medical and scientific aspect of the treatment and did not seem to give any sympathy to my losses, which was hard for me. He provided me with very detailed and accurate information in regards to my procedures and what to expect.
Clinic [Boston IVF-South Portland] was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
If you are looking for bedside manner and emotional support through the process, I would recommend looking for a different provider
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
During my continued treatment, I have had a number of misfortunes; such as two chemical pregnancies and one ectopic pregnancy resulting in the removal of my fallopian tubes. I have had a number of diagnostic tests done and although I have follow ups to review the results, at my next visit, the Doctor suggesting testing that has already been completed and reviewed. This makes it seem as though he does not remember my case or take the time to review my file before my appointments.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
When I started working with Dr Alper, I had already completed 5 failed IUI cycles with my OB/GYN. Dr Alper completed all of the initial testing and stated that I was young and healthy and there was no reason that In-Vitro should not work. He determined that one of my fallopian tubes appeared to be blocked but we would be bypassing that with the in-vitro so there was no need to worry. During my first in-vitro cycle I took the injectable medications during the initial egg retrieval process. I had 15 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized, and one embryo transferred in a fresh cycle. After the embryo transfer, I was put on progesterone gel once time daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test, rising HCG until around 6 weeks and then miscarriage. Once my HCG level returned to 0, we completed a thaw cycle. This time after transfer I was put on progesterone suppository three times daily, estrogen patch that was changed 2 times a week, and estrogen pill two times daily. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with rising HCG until around 6 weeks with miscarriage. After this, Dr Alper did antibody testing, imaging of the lining of my uterus, and a biopsy of the lining of my uterus; all of these tests came back normal so Dr Alper approved another thaw cycle. This cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test with HGC levels that were not rising appropriately. I was treated for ectopic, my HCG levels lowered, but it resulted in a hematoma in my fallopian tube, hemorrhage with internal bleeding, and I had both of my fallopian tubes removed as there was a cyst in my other tube. Still Dr Alper feels hopeful for a healthy pregnancy, although I am not feeling so optimistic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbra Delsignore)
Slow in returning phone calls with important results
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Clinic was slow at returning calls with important results. They were always able to schedule me if I needed to be seen but when I received bad news they lacked compassion or emotional support. Doctors and staff are fact a based and knowledgeable on the process and procedures but if you are looking for a clinic that provides emotional support during what can be a very trying time, I would be recommend this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
My initial in vitro cycle with egg retrieval was 8,900 dollars and an additional 2500 for my injectable medications. When I used progesterone gel, this was 300 dollars for 2 weeks worth. My first thaw cycle was 3500 plus costs of medications, and my third thaw cycle was 4000 plus costs of medication. I had all of my monitoring ultrasounds and blood work done at a hospital that was more convenient for me, so this was an additional cost in my treatment.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
After my two miscarriages and ectopic pregnancy, Dr Alper approved to transfer 2 embryos at next transfer if this is what I wish to do.
2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Alper was very candid with the low chance of success of our initial treatment. He was also didn't push us toward the most invasive treatment for the first round. However, once we made the decision to move forward, it felt like we weren't his patients anymore and instead deposited on some sort of infertility procedure conveyor belt...Ask him to walk you through the process and his role once you make the decision to move forward. He was great at explaining the medical procedures and what they mean, but didn't tell us that the nurses basically did everything.
The place [Boston IVF] is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper did a fantastic job when we were in the appointments explaining the tests, what our diagnosis meant and not rushing us to make a decision.
Clomid IUI
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
When we went to our initial appointment, we met the nurse who worked with Dr. Alper. However, in the months that followed, we were passed from nurse to nurse. I would call and leave a message, but a different nurse would call me back.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The place is set up to be calming and appears very organized. However once we decided to move forward with treatment I felt like a number. I left a message with his nurse that we wanted to move forward. Then all of a sudden the medication supplier contacted me out of nowhere-I didn't know they used a third party for the medication. After the set time, I left a message to schedule the procedure and was given a time. All throughout the actual treatment process I felt like now that I was moving forward with treatment with them, they didn't need to "woo" me any more.
None-Insurance covered the treadment
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Information was conveyed in my description of the clinic.
Waltham

We had a horrible experience with Dr Alper! After failed IUIs, we did an IVF cycle where 21 eggs were retrieved and only one embryo came out of it due to poor quality eggs from his set protocol. He also did not put me on metformin despite my pcos. When we met to review, he said he wouldn’t change my protocol going forward. We switched to CCrM Boston with Dr Zimon and got 11 embryos and I’m not currently pregnant. Please don’t waste your time with him!
Boston ivf is like a factory but you get in and out quick for ultrasounds. You also get a random doctor doing your retrieval and transfer. Ultrasounds are done by techs rather than the doctors themselves (like CCrM Boston).... Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!... Very basic pre set protocol with dosing. I was on gonal-f and certitude. Trigger was ovidrel.... He follows pre-set protocols and does not adjust medications or care plans based on your situation.
Run!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was really responsive and great!!

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles...I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. ... Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk [Boston IVF] could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Meeting Dr. Alper for the first time was a quick 20 minute consult, which was surprising to me since we were paying a large sum out of pocket for this visit. He described the general process of IVF and said he would send the information to his nurse. I was really taken back by the lack of personality and how business like it was. I continued to get treatment with him as my doctor because it was convenient for my job and location. I thought maybe I was being too critical and my husband agreed. After the first round of IVF, the only time I spoke or met with Doctor Alper was our consult and the meeting after hearing we were not pregnant. This meeting was to go over the first round and our next steps. This meeting was about 20 minutes as well. I was disappointed that Dr. Alper was my doctor, but never did any of my egg retrievals or transfers. I was not informed by him that he would not be doing either procedure. For my second round of IVF he adjusted my medications and steps we would take to conceive. When it was time to transfer the embryos, he did listen to my husband and my opinion about transferring both embryos. We did conceive! Only to have a chemical pregnancy a couple weeks later. During that time, I worked with my nurse and another doctor in the office. I couldn't believe that my own doctor was not helping my husband and I through the difficult time. Dr. Alper did call a few weeks after my chemical pregnancy to discuss next steps and informed me that I did not have a miscarriage, but a chemical pregnancy. The way he told me that made me feel awful. I felt like he could have explained the difference to me in a more gentle way. Dr. Alper is a very smart man and it showed during our conversations. I just feel like it wasn't a good match. Our personalities didn't work together. I needed more than just the facts during this financial and emotional roller coaster. Looking back at my experience with Dr. Alper, I wished I stood my ground and did what I felt was right for me instead of listening to others and thinking “I am new to this world of IVF and maybe this is just how it is.”
Be up front with him on what you need or want. Ask him if he can give you what you need/want. If not, find another doctor. Be your own advocate.
I felt like I was just a number to Dr. Alper. He was not very personable. When meeting or speaking with him about next steps, it always seemed like he was just taking a guess on what we should do next. It did not make me feel very comfortable with the financial and emotional burden for a "Well, maybe we should try this... no, I think I would like to try this instead..." On another note, Dr. Alper was my doctor who reviewed my progress and gave instructions for our plan forward, but he never did any of my egg retrieval or transfers. This was unexpected the first time going through the IVF process.
My treatment strategy was very different than most fertility patients Dr. Alper told me. I create too many follicles, so he wanted to start me on the lowest dosage of Gonal F he has prescribed. He started me on 150 units of Gonal F for the first few nights then lowered it down to 87.5 units for the reminder of injections. He lowered the dosage due to the fact that my hormone level was too high and they needed my eggs to develop more slowly. For this round of IVF they collected 20 eggs, 7 eggs were fertilized and 5 became embryos. The transfer was on day 3 and my remaining embryos did not make it to day 5 to freeze. For my second round of IVF, he prescribed 100 units of Gonal F due to the fact that my follicles grew too quickly last cycle. 10 eggs were collected, 5 fertilized and 4 were embryos. We transferred 2 embryos on day 3 due to the quality of my eggs and thinking they would not last until day 5. This would give them a better chance to survive. I did conceive this cycle, but ended with a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Del Signore)
My nurse was very friendly and compassionate. She was very kind and was always willing to help in any way she could. My only complaint was she was disorganized and when I would call or email her with questions or concerns, she didn't seem like she knew what she was talking about.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Being a new patient and extremely nervous of the unknown, I think the front desk could be a little more upbeat and friendly. The financial coordinator was at times hard to talk to due to her abruptness. She seemed annoyed at times when I would ask questions via phone. She was excellent when answering emails and would respond in a quick fashion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Cost was around $8,900 for IVF, egg retrieval and transfer. The medication was separate. The medication cost around $2300. Cost was around $10,500 for IVF w/ICIS, egg retrieval and transfer. This cost was with a 25% discount through the clinic. The medication was around $2000.