5.8

399 Albany Shaker Road
Loudonville, NY 12211
518.434.9759

2015 - 2019, Successful
Often times when meeting with Dr. Alper he wouldn't know what our diagnosis was, or what our history was. He'd make a blanket statement and we'd have to kind of correct him and it wasn't until then he'd check our file and then change what he had said.... Dr. Alper is very knowledgeable but also very nonchalant. We often felt that our case wasn't a big deal. At the same time he was open to our questions and very good at explaining everything in detail. I wish we hadn't stuck with the same protocol over and over until we ran out of embryos
I loved the nursing staff at Boston IVF.... Administration is not the most compassionate, they're disorganized and short in their answers. I always felt like I was bothering them with my questions. The nurses are wonderful. The blood drawing team and the ultrasound techs are amazing.... $12,000 FOR IVF cycle not including meds. $4,000 for frozen embryo transfer not including meds. All bloodwork and monitoring before starting a cycle was additional cost.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Dr. Alper is very knowledgeable but also very nonchalant. We often felt that our case wasn't a big deal. At the same time he was open to our questions and very good at explaining everything in detail. I wish we hadn't stuck with the same protocol over and over until we ran out of embryos, but he sort of made us feel like we had to just "go with the flow".
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Educate yourselves first. Be prepared to ask questions. Know what you want and fight for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Often times when meeting with Dr. Alper he wouldn't know what our diagnosis was, or what our history was. He'd make a blanket statement and we'd have to kind of correct him and it wasn't until then he'd check our file and then change what he had said. If we weren't there to remind him we wouldn't have gotten proper treatment in my opinion. He would have just told the nurse to tell us to do one thing when really we're doing something else now because I spoke up.
Describe the protocols Michael Alper used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
After losing 4 of our 5 embryos to negative cycles and chemical pregnancies we finally did ERA. We cured that with 3 cycles of antibiotics but then moved forward with another transfer with the same protocol as before even though I asked for the autoimmune protocol just to be safe.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Barbara Delsignori)
I loved the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Describe Michael Alper's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
Dr. Alper was open to multiple embryo transfer because he knew we were paying out of pocket.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I think I've stated most issues. I always felt hesitant to contact administrative staff because their way of communication turned me off. It's such an emotional roller coaster you're on so I wish they would treat us a little gentler; from financials to scheduling.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr Alper was very compassionate and knowledgeable with the process. He was very kind and explained the process thoroughly. He also went above and beyond with testing during our recurrent losses. He is very busy and clearly has a heavy case load, which made us feel like just a number rather than a personal experience. This was a downside.
For one of the IUIs [at Boston IVF], I had triggered and we were scheduled to go in for the semen drop off/ IUI. Timing is crucial, and when my husband showed up to drop off his sample, no one was there (we were at the Worcester office). We called many times, but it was before hours and couldn’t get ahold of anyone. This office is shared with an ultrasound so they fortunately had a number to call. We were over 2 hours past the “go time” for the IUI. They redeemed themselves by showing the actual sample and that it hadn’t effected anything. This left us feeling like they didn’t care or could not be trusted.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
If you are looking to feel like he genuinely knows your case, this is not the doctor for you. He is a great doctor, but doesn’t know he patients well.
Dr Alper clearly has a stellar reputation and sees many patients. He is also the coowner of BIVF, and goes to several of their locations. Because of this, we felt he didn’t know our case in detail. While sitting with him in the office, he would refer back to the computer with our information even on basic Information. I would have appreciated him studying up even briefly, prior to meeting with us. This is what made us feel like just another patient.
We knew, due to bloodwork, my amh level was low. Due to this we started at a higher gonalF level right from the beginning. Midcycle, he noticed I still wasn’t respond the way he wanted and upped the dosage. I liked that he made this adjustment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Kristen)
Again, due to the size of this clinic there are many people handling your case. Some of the time, we heard from the primary nurse, however it was hearing from different people that we found challenegjng because they again didn’t know the fine details of our specific case. We had to explain and re-explain ourselves often.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Being a large clinic has its strengths and weaknesses. They have a high success rate, have incredibly high standards, and have many resources available. The staff we worked with unfortunately did not take the time to know our case thoroughly, in our opinion due to their high volume, leaving us feeling like we were just a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
Fortunately most of our treatments (and medications) were covered by my insurance.
He is pretty firm on transferring one embryo at a time, even into your 30s. He stated several times that multiple embryo transfer on increases your chance of twins, not a pregnancy.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
For one of the IUIs, I had triggered and we were scheduled to go in for the semen drop off/ IUI. Timing is crucial, and when my husband showed up to drop off his sample, no one was there (we were at the Worcester office). We called many times, but it was before hours and couldn’t get ahold of anyone. This office is shared with an ultrasound so they fortunately had a number to call. We were over 2 hours past the “go time” for the IUI. They redeemed themselves by showing the actual sample and that it hadn’t effected anything. This left us feeling like they didn’t care or could not be trusted.
Waltham

Strengths: unintimidating, kind, very knowledgeable, able to explain things to a non-medical person in easy terms. Didn’t feel rushed during my appointments, and it is clear that he valued his staff and seemed to have a mutual appreciation and respect for each other. Weaknesses: could be a bit warmer. ... Dr. Alper was warm and remembered details about me. He likely reviewed them right before I entered the room, but I consider that fair. While it is a big operation, it felt no less impersonal than any other doctors I have seen.
It [Boston IVF] is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic. ... Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly. ... He [Dr. Alper] recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
Take notes or ask him to write down notes for you as you discuss. He made me some great notes and diagrams that helped me to remember everything later
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Bonnie is Dr. Alper’s Nurse. She is very responsive and friendly.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It is very large and runs like a well oiled machine. To some this could feel impersonal, but I appreciated that everything was so well organized and everything ran on time. It made me feel confident in the clinic.
He recommended I transfer only one, especially as I had chosen to do PGS. I was fully on board with this strategy
Waltham

He [Dr. Michael Alper] will answer your questions but it definitely more pushy with IVF. He also doesn’t seem too caring, but is professional...It takes forever to get in for an appointment as Dr Apler is only in a couple times a month...We met with Dr Alper twice, once for a consultation then again to go over results of our testing. We led to IVF being our best option. I had always worked with my OB/GYN with fertility treatments. I am going back to her for a laparoscopy now to see if my endometriosis is back before going through ivf with Boston IVF
All nurses were friendly [at Boston IVF]...It will cost us about $15,000 to do IVF. All the bloodwork is expensive, we’re at about $2000 in just testing...It takes forever to get in for an appointment as Dr Apler is only in a couple times a month. You may get tons of testing done, most of which you may have already had if you were working with your OB/GYN...We met with Dr Alper twice, once for a consultation then again to go over results of our testing. We led to IVF being our best option. I had always worked with my OB/GYN with fertility treatments. I am going back to her for a laparoscopy now to see if my endometriosis is back before going through ivf with Boston IVF
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
He will answer your questions but it definitely more pushy with IVF. He also doesn’t seem too caring, but is professional.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
All nurses were friendly
South Portland

Pleasant and peaceful with lots of beautiful baby pictures on the wall [at Boston IVF]. Seemed very clean and organized. I went to the Bangor ME facility, which is apparently run by an outside group. The secretaries in charge of checking us in didn't have anything useful to tell us since they were not directly associated with BostonIVF. Overall though a pleasant experience.... They were prompt and sympathetic. They also made me feel as if they would accomadate my needs since I was located so far away.
How was your experience with Michael Alper at Boston IVF?
We only had the initial consultation, but we were given a clear course of action and made to feel as if we were a part of the process. Dr Alper seemed very straight forward and gave us our options. He was not overly emotional, for which I actually appreciate a lot. Many people can seem quite phony with their sympathy when they hear about your unfortunate situation, and I prefer a doctor who is matter of fact and does not dwell on the emotional bits. If you want tears and hugs, he may not be for you, but if you want someone who knows his stuff and gets the ball rolling, well you've got your doctor.
Go in with all your questions, he'll answer them all!
He was very friendly, coming out to the waiting room personally to get us, and allowed us to ask the many questions that we had. He seemed responsive to our needs
I am only in the testing stage right now, so we haven't come up with a treatment plan yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Pleasant and peaceful with lots of beautiful baby pictures on the wall. Seemed very clean and organized. I went to the Bangor ME facility, which is apparently run by an outside group. The secretaries in charge of checking us in didn't have anything useful to tell us since they were not directly associated with BostonIVF. Overall though a pleasant experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Alper at Boston IVF.
My insurance has covered it so far.