Dominion Fertility

Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Virginia
Arlington, VA 22203
Fairfax
3620 Joseph Siewick Drive
Fairfax, VA 22033
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael DiMattina to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Dominion Fertility to a friend?
His [Dr. Michael DiMattina] bedside manner is very blunt, and he seemed personally offended by any questions I had about the process, like he expected me to have blind faith since he was the expert. I understand that he is, but strongly feel given the nature of this science, patients will have questions and it’s only professional to answer them willingly. I am by no means a pushy person, but he made me feel I was by rolling his eyes when I’d ask questions or sarcastically saying things like, “someone’s been doing research.” He told us many times that he’d “get me pregnant” and when that didn’t happen, he just kept repeating that most people do; he seemed more frustrated than compassionate and didn’t have much to offer in terms of how we might do things differently.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
His bedside manner is very blunt, and he seemed personally offended by any questions I had about the process, like he expected me to have blind faith since he was the expert. I understand that he is, but strongly feel given the nature of this science, patients will have questions and it’s only professional to answer them willingly. I am by no means a pushy person, but he made me feel I was by rolling his eyes when I’d ask questions or sarcastically saying things like, “someone’s been doing research.” He told us many times that he’d “get me pregnant” and when that didn’t happen, he just kept repeating that most people do; he seemed more frustrated than compassionate and didn’t have much to offer in terms of how we might do things differently.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
I would say have a very thick skin and be prepared to advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He personally called to give me the news after both transfers, which I appreciated. His manner is brusque, and he said to me many times that he would have expected me to be pregnant by now as most of their patients are within two transfers. He seemed frustrated that I fell outside what works for the rest of the practice, but he didn’t offer many suggestions of things to do differently for me next time.
Describe the protocols Michael DiMattina used in your cycles at Dominion Fertility and their degree of success.
I was on the antagonist protocol for both IVF cycles. I do not know the rationale for this, but it seems to be a common protocol. I ended up with one genetically normal embryo from each retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jen Machovina)
The nursing staff is compassionate, organized, friendly, and helpful. I loved all of them.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I like the clinic a lot. It’s a nice facility that is easy to get to with ample parking. The financial counselor is clear and upfront about costs, and she has been very helpful with communicating with the insurance company on my behalf. I have never had a billing issue. Appointments run on schedule. My calls and emails are always returned that day, and the nursing staff and IVF coordinators are wonderful people. The clinic does have fairly rigid rules about only doing frozen transfers and they almost mandate PGS testing. This may not work for all patients.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dominion Fertility.
Most monitoring appointments were fairly quick, and I was able to get to work on time afterwards. On weekends they took longer because only one of their three clinics is open on weekends and it wold be more crowded because of that. Still though, it wasn’t bad.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility.
I was lucky enough to have insurance coverage at 60% with a $2500 out of pocket max.This means I paid that plus fees to have embryos genetically tested and stored.
Describe Michael DiMattina's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dominion Fertility.
My doctor would only transfer one genetically tested embryo at a time, which I was comfortable with.
Arlington
Dr. D [DiMattina] was always upfront about the treatment. Natural IVF is not offered at many clinics, but Dr. D takes the time educate his patients and select the best option for treatement. I never had any doubts about his knowledge and experience...Since I was younger (30) when I started treatment and I was doing fertility treatment due to male factor, I was recommended the Natural IVF cycle. This was great because it was the quarter of the cost of one cycle, and there were little use of extra hormones. I came to the office about 4-5 times fir blood test and ultrasounds (to track the growth of my egg). With Natural IVF there is only one egg produced at a time. Then when my egg was mature enough I was told to do a trigger shot (which speeds up the maturity). Within 36 hours I was in the office for an egg retrieval. I came back 5 days later for transfer. While waiting for my transfer I was prescribed progesterone and estrogen.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. D was always upfront about the treatment. Natural IVF is not offered at many clinics, but Dr. D takes the time educate his patients and select the best option for treatement. I never had any doubts about his knowledge and experience.
Dr. DiMattina will recommend the best treatment for you. Though the initial test seem daunting they help develop the picture of what is the best path to conceive. Never be afraid to ask questions, Dr. D will always take time talk to you.
Dr. D was awesome! He was encouraging and made me feel confident about the treatment plan (NC-IVF).
The nurses are amazing! They are your cheerleaders all the way thru!
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
The Arlington office is the best! Get there early for monitoring hours.
We used Natural Cycle IVF. It took three treatment cycles to be successful (2 did not reach the egg transfer stage). In total we spent 16,500
2011 - 2016
If you need hand holding, he's [Dr. DiMattina is] not for you. However, for us it was more important to feel we were receiving the best medical treatment and he is highly competent. He's blunt and gets right down to business but in the end he actually opened up and grew on us a bit. He's progressive (first to offer PGS and PGD along with natural cycle IVF, which worked for us on our 2nd pregnancy). He will try different approaches quickly if something is not working...
2011 - 2016
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
If you need hand holding, he's not for you. However, for us it was more important to feel we were receiving the best medical treatment and he is highly competent. He's blunt and gets right down to business but in the end he actually opened up and grew on us a bit. He's progressive (first to offer PGS and PGD along with natural cycle IVF, which worked for us on our 2nd pregnancy). He will try different approaches quickly if something is not working.
Trust him.
The staff and doctors knew us by name, especially the nurses whom you see a lot during monitoring.
First pregnancy- egg retrievals using hormone injections. First cycle was a fresh transfer (unsuccessful). He believed my body did not want to get pregnant while having the drugs in my system so we waited a month and next cycle was a natural cycle frozen transfer which resulted in a baby. 2nd pregnancy- 4 yrs later had diminished ovarian reserve. Got fewer and less quality eggs; 2 transfers, no pregnancy. Switched it up to natural cycle IVF. Pregnant on first try.
Fantastic.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
Very organized, convenient locations and hours, accommodating and competent medical staff. We had a few bumps in the road with billing and some communications that weren't clear. This wasn't typical for them.
They had a long time window for monitoring so you can easily pick a time convenient for you. Wait times varied greatly depending on patients that day. I've gotten in 5 minutes, but sometimes waited up to 30.
First 3 cycles covered by insurance. Paid out of pocket for last 2. They would not offer us a guarantee package due to my low ovarian reserve even though I was only 34.
What specific things went wrong at Dominion Fertility?
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
He [Dr. DiMattina] was always available by phone or message. After every disappointing result, he'd ask us in for follow up personal visit with a hug and a smile. When we did conceive, Dr. D (as he's called), called the little dot on the sonogram our "baby". Every other doctor called that the "embryo."...His approach is one of minimal drugs and truly adhering to nature – only transferring the number of embryos naturally conceived without any drugs. The doctor's job is to simply monitor your natural cycle. If and when it does not work out, the solution is always to try again the next month...
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
Dr. D was a warm and caring Doctor. After the third or fourth cycle failed, however, the answer was always the same: come in for a chat. But talking was not going to ever change the outcome of our failed fertility cycles. By the time it was over, I wanted to only see Dr. Gordon. He was younger, fresher and seemingly more up to date on the latest medical studies
Use all the doctors at Dominion. If you're going the natural cycle route, that's what they will do anyway because no doctor can be in seven days a week. Read up on Dr. Gordon and his publications online before selecting a doctor at Dominion
He was always available by phone or message. After every disappointing result, he'd ask us in for follow up personal visit with a hug and a smile. When we did conceive, Dr. D (as he's called), called the little dot on the sonogram our "baby". Every other doctor called that the "embryo."
Dominion fertility is a "natural cycle" IVF clinic pioneer in the field. Dr. D led this revolution on the East Coast after studying in Europe for sometime. His approach is one of minimal drugs and truly adhering to nature – only transferring the number of embryos naturally conceived without any drugs. The doctor's job is to simply monitor your natural cycle. If and when it does not work out, the solution is always to try again the next month. That is very much in line with nature and God's creation. However, it all falls apart after the sixth cycle failure and $40,000 gone... However, most women will probably conceived with Dr. D in 1, 2 or maximum 3 cycles ... so this is not an issue
Nurses were amazing - like family. They felt your highs and lows with you. Called at all hours and were available to you the same. Each morning was a ray of sunshine with the nurses even though you'd just seen them and were stressed in general about IVF
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I choose Dr. D Matina because he was the longes running partner at the clinic and natural cycle IVF pioneer in the US. However, in hindsight I would have done some more homework and selected Dr. Gordon as my primary endochronologist for a variety of reasons
Monitoring is by default a disorganized event. Some days there are very few women in the waiting room and other days it is packed with a line out the door. Typically at this clinic, they see you quickly. However, they separate the blood draw from the sonogram and you are forced back into the waiting room a second time in between the two. It is an aggravating experience where you wish they would just combine it all into one visit
The cost quoted is not exactly the same as the cost billed per natural cycle IVF. There are additional hidden fees that are not self evident as part of the process, so the monthly bill is roughly $1,000 to $2,000 higher than what is quoted to you for a natural cycle. Heads up!
What specific things went wrong at Dominion Fertility?
Arlington
He [Dr Michael DiMattina] was very direct and honest, which I appreciated. Bedside manner was good enough - I was not trying to find a new best friend, rather the best doctor that would give me the results I wanted, and he was definitely the one. He is a leader in the industry and treated my case with the attention I desired.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He was very direct and honest, which I appreciated. Bedside manner was good enough - I was not trying to find a new best friend, rather the best doctor that would give me the results I wanted, and he was definitely the one. He is a leader in the industry and treated my case with the attention I desired.
Know that you aren't going to get a lot of warm-fuzzies, but will ideally get the results you desire.
He remembered me each time and spoke to me like a person. The nurses were very responsive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
I appreciated being able to email with the nurses. They also emailed me with the protocol each day, which was great so that I didn't have to write it down from a voicemail. They answered all questions promptly and candidly.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
On time appointments, clean office, organized billing, caring nurses, successful results.
I went in for monitoring first thing in the morning when they opened. A nurse would take my blood and then I would see one of the 3 doctors for the ultrasound. I would say I had to wait 10-20 maximum, sometimes only 5.
I selected a package that allowed 2 retrievals and unlimited implantations. It also included assisted hatching, ICSI, etc. therefore making it almost equivalent to the cost of doing everything a la carte. I luckily didn't need the 2nd round, but don't mind that I paid a bit more for the peace of mind.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. DiMattina was very clear in his explanation of the need to try IVF with genetic testing to avoid another miscarriage...He is very candid and some may find him too blunt, but I liked his straight forward explanation...gonal-f and menopur for 9 days triggered on day 10 and froze embryos and 3 came back normal. I have 2 left for a sibling for my son...They are a great team and they provided the support and compassion I needed
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
the nurses are amazing, especially Sam and Natalie, but the whole staff really is invested in their patient's success. I had some really wild mood swings and they talked me off the roof more than once.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dominion Fertility. (Assigned nurse: natalie sofia, Sam)
They are a great team and they provided the support and compassion I needed especially day 5-6 of stims when I had a minor meltdown.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
I wish they had better parking, but I used metro for most early morning visits. the weekends get pretty busy and you have to wait.
They open very early in the Arlington office M-F, but weekends get busy and the wait time increases.
I was lucky to have some coverage for IVF, but ICSI/PGS was separate charge
Strong preference for transferring one.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
We had done two failed cycles at another clinic and I had 3 miscarriages so Dr. D [Dr. Michael DiMattina] suggested IVF with PGS...He is very direct and explains things like a scientist...The staff at Dominion Fertility always knew my name and situation at every monitoring appt.
How was your experience with Michael DiMattina at Dominion Fertility?
He is very direct and explains things like a scientist.
Write down your questions so you don't forget them during a consult.
We had done two failed cycles at another clinic and I had 3 miscarriages so Dr. D suggested IVF with PGS.
All the nurses I dealt with were kind and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Dominion Fertility.
They are true to their slogan, they provide personalized care. The only negative is the parking, it's hard to find a spot.
It was busy on weekends, but they open at 0630 during the week and I was able to get in and to work on time.
The billing staff was very helpful with my insurance which luckily covered most of my treatment.