Shady Grove Fertility

Stony Point
9030 Stony Point Pkwy
Richmond, VA 23235
804-500-9999
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Edelstein to a friend?
9.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Edelstein is really great. He really seems to know what he's doing and makes sure you understand too. I really enjoy seeing him, and always feel like he has my best interest at heart. I really appreciated that he only gave me all of the info on IVF after I asked for it. It made it feel like he wasn't just after my money.... He made sure to personally call me when I wanted to start another IUI after my lap. He also always seems very inattentive to me and my personal needs.
The nurses [Fertility Institute of Virginia] are really great! Anytime something was painful (the hsg, and first IUI) the nurse would hold my hand.... The biggest strength is the clinic's success rates on SART are the best in Virginia. Another strength is Pattie the director of clinical services sat down with me to cover all the costs for IVF.... A huge weakness they have though is answering the phone. It seems like anytime I call the front desk I have to call 4/5 times in a day to get an answer. It is a bit better when try to get a hold of Dr. E's team. They still don't always answer right away but if I leave a message they always get back to me within an hour or two. I haven't started IVF yet so I don't know how easy it is to get a hold of the IVF coordinator.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
If you are concerned about any of the fertility meds (like clomid for example) let him know he will gladly give you another medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
He made sure to personally call me when I wanted to start another IUI after my lap. He also always seems very inattentive to me and my personal needs. It didn't seem like he was just trying to throw IVF at me right away either.
Describe the protocols Michael Edelstein used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of Virginia and their degree of success.
For my just medicated cycle I took clomid days 3-7 and used opks to time intercourse. For my IUI's I took clomid days 3-7, then had an ultrasound on day 12. They then gave me the trigger shot to take home. I always did the trigger on days 12-14 and we did the IUI 36 hours after my trigger. My husband went in the morning of my IUI to leave his sample.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The nurses are really great! Anytime something was painful (the hsg, and first IUI) the nurse would hold my hand.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The biggest strength is the clinic's success rates on SART are the best in Virginia. Another strength is Pattie the director of clinical services sat down with me to cover all the costs for IVF. She also looks at your insurance's website to see if they cover anything. She couldn't find anything when looking for me so she called them the next day. After she called them she personally called me to let me know that they don't cover anything. A huge weakness they have though is answering the phone. It seems like anytime I call the front desk I have to call 4/5 times in a day to get an answer. It is a bit better when try to get a hold of Dr. E's team. They still don't always answer right away but if I leave a message they always get back to me within an hour or two. I haven't started IVF yet so I don't know how easy it is to get a hold of the IVF coordinator.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
All office visits are $50. My IUI's including clomid, trigger shot, sperm wash and the IUI cost around $600. If we move on to IVF we will be doing their shared risk program which starts at $20,000 for 6 rounds of IVF. Plus the cost of medications and any testing done.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia.

Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr. Edelstein] was responsive to my needs and always willing to explain things. He answered my questions, joked with me, and was respectful.... My only complaint, and this is simply due to my own personality and not due to any deficit or issue on his part, is that at times I felt like he was not taking potential concerns I had seriously and didn't explain in enough detail why my concerns were invalid...
All the doctors are highly skilled, so seeing the on call doc on weekends was not an issue for me. I never had to use the after hours emergency line, but they [Fertility Institute of Virginia] do have one. I saw 3 other doctors for ultrasounds on weekends and was pleased with all of them. Good bedside manner and very good at their work...The entire IVF cost was roughly $15,000 I believe, not including genetic testing done through an outside company but that did include the biopsy to send to the genetic testing.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
He is extremely good at what he does, very responsive, and honest. His skills are excellent. He is not brusque and has a decent bedside manner. My only complaint, and this is simply due to my own personality and not due to any deficit or issue on his part, is that at times I felt like he was not taking potential concerns I had seriously and didn't explain in enough detail why my concerns were invalid. When I researched potential reasons for my infertility online, he would say that the reason I was interested in was not applicable, but didn't go into any great detail as to why. He was at times willing to dig into the science with me and discuss specifics, but not always. He's also not extremely warm and fuzzy, but he's also not cold or unempathic.
Have your questions written out in advance and know what your goals are. He's very direct.
He was responsive to my needs and always willing to explain things. He answered my questions, joked with me, and was respectful.
We started with Clomid as I'd already had other hormonal regulation with my previous RE that had failed. Then we did Clomid with a trigger. Then we did Clomid with an IUI. Then we did IUIs with injectables and a trigger. Then we finally moved to IVF with ICSI, and we did a freeze all of our 5 day blastos so that we could have then biopsies and genetically tested. Our testing showed chromosomal abnormalities on 10 of our 11 blastos and we transferred our one remaining embryo the following month. She is now 5 weeks old.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
She is wonderful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
All the doctors are highly skilled, so seeing the on call doc on weekends was not an issue for me. I never had to use the after hours emergency line, but they do have one. I saw 3 other doctors for ultrasounds on weekends and was pleased with all of them. Good bedside manner and very good at their work.
The entire IVF cost was roughly $15,000 I believe, not including genetic testing done through an outside company but that did include the biopsy to send to the genetic testing. Costs of IUIs were about $500.
Describe Michael Edelstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
He would have recommended transferring two embryos since my infertility was unexplained, but left it up to us. In the end, we only had 1 to transfer.
+ Read more- Read less

It was a very stressful time for me but I truly think that [Dr.] Edelstein felt bad that my treatments weren't working. He always seemed very positive at each visit and each time something failed he would remind me that we were getting a win: I was ovulating. Of course there would be times that I would get frustrated and feel like he wasn't listening but after I got up the courage to tell him exactly what I needed/wanted, he understood...He remembered things I would tell him, like going out of town or things relating to my job.
The nursing staff [at Fertility Institute of VA] was great at taking my concerns to the doctor. They explained things well and showed me different ways of giving myself shots. The only thing I feel like they dropped the ball on was when they scheduled me for the wrong procedure (hysteroscopy when I needed a HSG)...The exam room tables are facing the wrong way. When someone opens the door they can look directly at your private area. Kind of maze like the farther you get from the front.
It was a very stressful time for me but I truly think that Se Edelstein felt bad that my treatments weren't working. He always seemed very positive at each visit and each time something failed he would remind me that we were getting a win: I was ovulating. Of course there would be times that I would get frustrated and feel like he wasn't listening but after I got up the courage to tell him exactly what I needed/wanted, he understood.
To be very blunt about your expectations and to set limits for how many times you do a specific procedure.
I took three doses of letrozole. Confirmed egg growth with ultrasounds and confirmed ovulation (once) with blood work. Two rounds of injectables, Gonal f. Had to increase dose because eggs stopped growing, confirmed egg growth with ultrasound and did trigger shot. Confirmed ovulation with blood work.
The nursing staff was great at taking my concerns to the doctor. They explained things well and showed me different ways of giving myself shots. The only thing I feel like they dropped the ball on was when they scheduled me for the wrong procedure (hysteroscopy when I needed a HSG).
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
I don't really remember the costs. It would be a copay and then usually $100-200 or visit out of pocket. All our injectables were out of pocket and not covered by insurance at all.
Have not done.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of Virginia?

2 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He is the most patient doctor I have ever had. I have a problem with blood draws and when he saw that I was getting stressed, he stepped in and did it himself!! Every time I said I was uncomfortable, he apologized. He kept things light and jokey when I needed it and serious and subdued when I needed that. He is great at reading people. You can tell he loves what he does.
They [the nurses at Fertility Institute of VA] are very friendly, understanding of the stress couples are under and very helpful with explaining medications and instructions for injections. They even got involved with the pharmacy we got our meds through because we were having problems and almost missed a dose!! I really don't have any complaints about any of the staff.... We were in the shared success program for 23000 i think meds were not included with that. Embryo storage fees are currently $480/year after the shared success program ends
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Be honest, be up front and ask questions even if you think they are stupid. He had to repeat a lot of info to me and never once seemed frustrated. He wants everyone to be clear about everything that is happening.
Originally we thought the issues were all female related but we had issues on both sides. We started with IUI becuase it was the least invasive but we had morphology issues on my husbands side so we decided to go to IVF with ICSI after 2 rounds of IUI. We used the ICSI because of the morphology issues. We went in the egg retrieval with the plan to use the embryos asap but due to unexpected bleeding issues (of course my period decided to come on that week!), we did a freeze all and opted to do the transfer the next month. Generally he likes to wait 2 months with a freeze all but we wanted it done before the end of the year. My husband and I decided to implant 2 embryos the first try. Dr. E suggested 1 but agreed to 2 after my husband and I discussed our options. Egg retrieval in November, embryo transfer in December. We got a little boy in September from that decision.
They are very friendly, understanding of the stress couples are under and very helpful with explaining medications and instructions for injections. They even got involved with the pharmacy we got our meds through because we were having problems and almost missed a dose!! I really don't have any complaints about any of the staff.
For women my age-under 35, he prefers to do a single but we sat down and had a rational conversation with him as to why we would prefer to use 2, and he agreed. It is my understanding from our conversation that he generally does not use more than 2 at a time.
+ Read more- Read less

I love working with Dr. Edelstein. He is a kind and compassionate Doctor. I love that I can leave a message for him with someone in his office in the morning and by that afternoon he calls me back directly himself. When he cant personally call back one of his nurses will but in the same day as well. Some doctors are hard to reach so I love that Dr. Edelstein makes himself available to him patients...
The nurses [at Fertility Institute of Virginia] are great. Very friendly and helpful. If I had a question they couldnt answer they would have Dr. Edelstein call me or they would call him and get back to me...Strengths: I love the clinic's location. The lab where my husband gives his sample before our IUI's is located in the same building just on different floors. Weakness: If your iui cycle falls on a weekend the doctor on call that weekend does your insemination instead of the doctor you normally see.
Always feel free to ask him questions and if you still dont understand he is really good about writing things down or drawing a visual for you.
We did 4 IUI's. 3 with clomid and 1 with injections and letrozole. Our first IUI (with clomid) resulted in a pregnancy, but our son was stillborn at 29weeks 6 days. The other 3 iui's resulted in negative pregnancy tests.
The nurses are great. Very friendly and helpful. If I had a question they couldnt answer they would have Dr. Edelstein call me or they would call him and get back to me.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Strengths: I love the clinic's location. The lab where my husband gives his sample before our IUI's is located in the same building just on different floors. Weakness: If your iui cycle falls on a weekend the doctor on call that weekend does your insemination instead of the doctor you normally see. This only happened to me once and although I understand my doctor cant be available 7 days a week. I just feel more comfortable with Dr. Edelstein doing my iui.
$430 for 1 iui cycle doesnt include medications

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr E[delstein] treated me with compassion. He explained every detail in the course of treatment and did not sugar coat anything. He was honest and truthful in every aspect...was always on time. I rarely had to wait more than 5-10 to see him. He was explained everything in detail and even wrote everything out so I wouldn’t forget the exact times and dates what needed to be done. I never felt rushed and he answered whatever questions I had.
We did a shared IVF treatment cost was $22,000 [at Fertility Institute of Virginia]. One fresh transfer was about $12,000. IUI was about $1000...Wait time for phone calls was a little long but once they were on the phone they were friendly and professional. However, every time I went in, they failed to tell me I had any open balances and was sent to Collections. Pattie took care care of it for me and I paid the bills...Beth [nurse] was amazing. She showed me how to do the relevant injections and answered all of my questions. She explained all of the labs and was the one to call me when my blood work came back positive.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Edelstein was always on time. I rarely had to wait more than 5-10 to see him. He was explained everything in detail and even wrote everything out so I wouldn’t forget the exact times and dates what needed to be done. I never felt rushed and he answered whatever questions I had.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. He wants to to ask if you are not sure in any part of the treatment.
Dr E treated me with compassion. He explained every detail in the course of treatment and did not sugar coat anything. He was honest and truthful in every aspect
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Beth Henry )
Beth was amazing. She showed me how to do the relevant injections and answered all of my questions. She explained all of the labs and was the one to call me when my blood work came back positive.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
We did a shared IVF treatment cost was $22,000. One fresh transfer was about $12,000. IUI was about $1000.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Michael Edelstein] explained everything to us as far as what to expect and what our next steps would be going forward. He is very patient and understanding. He made sure to answer any questions we had. We felt very comfortable talking with him.... He was very caring and empathetic. He wanted to help anyway he could. I would definitely recommend him for a fertility doctor.
They [the nursing staff at Fertility Institute of VA] were always prepared with everything and helpful. If I had any questions they were happy to answer.... I took fertility medication days 3-7. I would have to track my ovulation and when I got a positive test I had to call in to have an iui done the next day. I would then have to wait to see if I started my period or if I was pregnant. Unfortunately I had started my period and had to start it all over again. Of course we had to go through it twice and pregnacy never occured. We were told the next step would be ivf.
He explained everything to us as far as what to expect and what our next steps would be going forward. He is very patient and understanding. He made sure to answer any questions we had. We felt very comfortable talking with him.
He is very thorough in explaining everything so you will leave with alot of information.
They were always prepared with everything and helpful. If I had any questions they were happy to answer.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Always helpful, friendly, and compassionate.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I was a patient for 4 years and it took alot of tests, surgery, and various treatments to get pregnant, but the whole time he [Dr. Edelstein] was very caring and informative.
The 2 times i had ectopic pregnancies i had to have the Methotrexate shot and both times i was upset and his nurses sat with me and comforted me. The whole [Fertility Institute of Virginia] staff was wonderful!
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I have no complaints at all. I was a patient for 4 years and it took alot of tests, surgery, and various treatments to get pregnant, but the whole time he was very caring and informative. The whole staff was wonderful!
Dr. E and his staff knew my name from the first appointment. They always remember what my career was, as well as my husband. From time to time i would see him or his staff around town and they would always stop and talk and ask how i was. Dr. E made a point to personally call me with any test results or news of any kind. He would even call from home on a weekend if he needed to. The 2 times i had ectopic pregnancies i had to have the methotrexate shot and both times i was upset and his nurses sat with me and comforted me. When i did become pregnant the whole staff was just as excited as i was. I loved them!
2016 - 2019
Tubal Blockage, Other
He [Dr. Michael Edelstein] has taken the time with us to go over options...I had multiple HSG’s to verify that my tubes were indeed blocked. I then had the tubes cleaned out and as they healed, one side partially closed while the other remained open. I was told that I have hydrospalnix. I wanted to try different options before going with his plan, which was to remove the tubes to increase the chance of success...was very detailed and showed us the statistics of the clinic and current overall success with IVF. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. I love the atmosphere and because they were the very first doctors I went too and felt comfortable with. I have no complaints. We went over pros and cons on what ever decision we were leaning towards and we tried them. So he was supportive but made sure we knew all risks.
love the atmosphere [at Shady Grove Fertility- Richmond]...I had great experiences with the nurses. If I had questions, they would assist. If I had to call in, before the close of business I would have a answer or the very next morning...I had multiple HSG’s to verify that my tubes were indeed blocked. I then had the tubes cleaned out and as they healed, one side partially closed while the other remained open. I was told that I have hydrospalnix. I wanted to try different options before going with his plan, which was to remove the tubes to increase the chance of success. So I decided to try a few IUIs using clomid, lextrazole, and both used a trigger shot. None of the IUIs were successful. We went onto another clinic due to us being military and that’s where we had a fresh IVF cycle completed and lost the baby about 4weeks.
2016 - 2019
Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Edelstein was very detailed and showed us the statistics of the clinic and current overall success with IVF. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. I love the atmosphere and because they were the very first doctors I went too and felt comfortable with. I have no complaints. We went over pros and cons on what ever decision we were leaning towards and we tried them. So he was supportive but made sure we knew all risks.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be open, clear, and stick to what you would like to happen or try first before making any life altering decisions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has taken the time with us to go over options but it’s just hard hearing what may have to happen with my tubes. I wanted to try different avenues first before having my tubes removed. We did try different approaches but some things still just didn’t work out.
Describe the protocols Michael Edelstein used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Be prepared to come in with a strong and positive attitude up front. It will be very tough going forward but be sure your comfort and care is taken care of. Become acquainted, be open, go over several options and think about it. Don’t make a decision right away. You can make some decisions that cannot be reversed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility.
For what we could afford while using federal insurance, each IUI was 350, plus 100 for the semen wash plus cost of meds. Copay only for clomid and lextrazole. The tubal reconstruction, I had to pay about 300. Each visit had a copay roughly of about 40. ( for the second doctor with Walter Reed, we had to pay 5,500 for the whole process; start to finish. This was only because I was lucky enough to land active duty orders. This is only temporary and can be cut at any time due to my change in status.
Describe Michael Edelstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
If I had a choice, I would do multiple. At shady grove we could but because of my change in service, I can not be seen at shady Grove unless we pay out of pocket for everything. So Walter Reed has a protocol and it’s very strict. One embryo under the age of 35.
Shady Grove Fertility
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility.