Medical SchoolWash U. St. Louis
ResidencyU. of Pennsylvania
FellowshipEastern Virginia Jones
10710 Midlothian Turnpike
Richmond, VA 23235
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Edelstein to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Institute of Virginia to a friend?
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Edelstein is really great. He really seems to know what he's doing and makes sure you understand too. I really enjoy seeing him, and always feel like he has my best interest at heart. I really appreciated that he only gave me all of the info on IVF after I asked for it. It made it feel like he wasn't just after my money.... He made sure to personally call me when I wanted to start another IUI after my lap. He also always seems very inattentive to me and my personal needs.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
If you are concerned about any of the fertility meds (like clomid for example) let him know he will gladly give you another medicine.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
He made sure to personally call me when I wanted to start another IUI after my lap. He also always seems very inattentive to me and my personal needs. It didn't seem like he was just trying to throw IVF at me right away either.
Describe the protocols Michael Edelstein used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of Virginia and their degree of success.
For my just medicated cycle I took clomid days 3-7 and used opks to time intercourse. For my IUI's I took clomid days 3-7, then had an ultrasound on day 12. They then gave me the trigger shot to take home. I always did the trigger on days 12-14 and we did the IUI 36 hours after my trigger. My husband went in the morning of my IUI to leave his sample.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The nurses are really great! Anytime something was painful (the hsg, and first IUI) the nurse would hold my hand.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The biggest strength is the clinic's success rates on SART are the best in Virginia. Another strength is Pattie the director of clinical services sat down with me to cover all the costs for IVF. She also looks at your insurance's website to see if they cover anything. She couldn't find anything when looking for me so she called them the next day. After she called them she personally called me to let me know that they don't cover anything. A huge weakness they have though is answering the phone. It seems like anytime I call the front desk I have to call 4/5 times in a day to get an answer. It is a bit better when try to get a hold of Dr. E's team. They still don't always answer right away but if I leave a message they always get back to me within an hour or two. I haven't started IVF yet so I don't know how easy it is to get a hold of the IVF coordinator.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
All office visits are $50. My IUI's including clomid, trigger shot, sperm wash and the IUI cost around $600. If we move on to IVF we will be doing their shared risk program which starts at $20,000 for 6 rounds of IVF. Plus the cost of medications and any testing done.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr. Edelstein] was responsive to my needs and always willing to explain things. He answered my questions, joked with me, and was respectful.... My only complaint, and this is simply due to my own personality and not due to any deficit or issue on his part, is that at times I felt like he was not taking potential concerns I had seriously and didn't explain in enough detail why my concerns were invalid...
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
He is extremely good at what he does, very responsive, and honest. His skills are excellent. He is not brusque and has a decent bedside manner. My only complaint, and this is simply due to my own personality and not due to any deficit or issue on his part, is that at times I felt like he was not taking potential concerns I had seriously and didn't explain in enough detail why my concerns were invalid. When I researched potential reasons for my infertility online, he would say that the reason I was interested in was not applicable, but didn't go into any great detail as to why. He was at times willing to dig into the science with me and discuss specifics, but not always. He's also not extremely warm and fuzzy, but he's also not cold or unempathic.
Have your questions written out in advance and know what your goals are. He's very direct.
He was responsive to my needs and always willing to explain things. He answered my questions, joked with me, and was respectful.
We started with Clomid as I'd already had other hormonal regulation with my previous RE that had failed. Then we did Clomid with a trigger. Then we did Clomid with an IUI. Then we did IUIs with injectables and a trigger. Then we finally moved to IVF with ICSI, and we did a freeze all of our 5 day blastos so that we could have then biopsies and genetically tested. Our testing showed chromosomal abnormalities on 10 of our 11 blastos and we transferred our one remaining embryo the following month. She is now 5 weeks old.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Institute of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
She is wonderful.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
All the doctors are highly skilled, so seeing the on call doc on weekends was not an issue for me. I never had to use the after hours emergency line, but they do have one. I saw 3 other doctors for ultrasounds on weekends and was pleased with all of them. Good bedside manner and very good at their work.
The entire IVF cost was roughly $15,000 I believe, not including genetic testing done through an outside company but that did include the biopsy to send to the genetic testing. Costs of IUIs were about $500.
Describe Michael Edelstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
He would have recommended transferring two embryos since my infertility was unexplained, but left it up to us. In the end, we only had 1 to transfer.
Richmond
It was a very stressful time for me but I truly think that [Dr.] Edelstein felt bad that my treatments weren't working. He always seemed very positive at each visit and each time something failed he would remind me that we were getting a win: I was ovulating. Of course there would be times that I would get frustrated and feel like he wasn't listening but after I got up the courage to tell him exactly what I needed/wanted, he understood...He remembered things I would tell him, like going out of town or things relating to my job.
It was a very stressful time for me but I truly think that Se Edelstein felt bad that my treatments weren't working. He always seemed very positive at each visit and each time something failed he would remind me that we were getting a win: I was ovulating. Of course there would be times that I would get frustrated and feel like he wasn't listening but after I got up the courage to tell him exactly what I needed/wanted, he understood.
To be very blunt about your expectations and to set limits for how many times you do a specific procedure.
I took three doses of letrozole. Confirmed egg growth with ultrasounds and confirmed ovulation (once) with blood work. Two rounds of injectables, Gonal f. Had to increase dose because eggs stopped growing, confirmed egg growth with ultrasound and did trigger shot. Confirmed ovulation with blood work.
The nursing staff was great at taking my concerns to the doctor. They explained things well and showed me different ways of giving myself shots. The only thing I feel like they dropped the ball on was when they scheduled me for the wrong procedure (hysteroscopy when I needed a HSG).
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The exam room tables are facing the wrong way. When someone opens the door they can look directly at your private area. Kind of maze like the farther you get from the front.
I don't really remember the costs. It would be a copay and then usually $100-200 or visit out of pocket. All our injectables were out of pocket and not covered by insurance at all.
Have not done.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He is the most patient doctor I have ever had. I have a problem with blood draws and when he saw that I was getting stressed, he stepped in and did it himself!! Every time I said I was uncomfortable, he apologized. He kept things light and jokey when I needed it and serious and subdued when I needed that. He is great at reading people. You can tell he loves what he does.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Embryo Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Be honest, be up front and ask questions even if you think they are stupid. He had to repeat a lot of info to me and never once seemed frustrated. He wants everyone to be clear about everything that is happening.
Originally we thought the issues were all female related but we had issues on both sides. We started with IUI becuase it was the least invasive but we had morphology issues on my husbands side so we decided to go to IVF with ICSI after 2 rounds of IUI. We used the ICSI because of the morphology issues. We went in the egg retrieval with the plan to use the embryos asap but due to unexpected bleeding issues (of course my period decided to come on that week!), we did a freeze all and opted to do the transfer the next month. Generally he likes to wait 2 months with a freeze all but we wanted it done before the end of the year. My husband and I decided to implant 2 embryos the first try. Dr. E suggested 1 but agreed to 2 after my husband and I discussed our options. Egg retrieval in November, embryo transfer in December. We got a little boy in September from that decision.
They are very friendly, understanding of the stress couples are under and very helpful with explaining medications and instructions for injections. They even got involved with the pharmacy we got our meds through because we were having problems and almost missed a dose!! I really don't have any complaints about any of the staff.
We were in the shared success program for 23000 i think meds were not included with that. Embryo storage fees are currently $480/year after the shared success program ends
For women my age-under 35, he prefers to do a single but we sat down and had a rational conversation with him as to why we would prefer to use 2, and he agreed. It is my understanding from our conversation that he generally does not use more than 2 at a time.
Richmond
I love working with Dr. Edelstein. He is a kind and compassionate Doctor. I love that I can leave a message for him with someone in his office in the morning and by that afternoon he calls me back directly himself. When he cant personally call back one of his nurses will but in the same day as well. Some doctors are hard to reach so I love that Dr. Edelstein makes himself available to him patients...
Always feel free to ask him questions and if you still dont understand he is really good about writing things down or drawing a visual for you.
We did 4 IUI's. 3 with clomid and 1 with injections and letrozole. Our first IUI (with clomid) resulted in a pregnancy, but our son was stillborn at 29weeks 6 days. The other 3 iui's resulted in negative pregnancy tests.
The nurses are great. Very friendly and helpful. If I had a question they couldnt answer they would have Dr. Edelstein call me or they would call him and get back to me.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Strengths: I love the clinic's location. The lab where my husband gives his sample before our IUI's is located in the same building just on different floors. Weakness: If your iui cycle falls on a weekend the doctor on call that weekend does your insemination instead of the doctor you normally see. This only happened to me once and although I understand my doctor cant be available 7 days a week. I just feel more comfortable with Dr. Edelstein doing my iui.
$430 for 1 iui cycle doesnt include medications
Richmond
He [Dr. Michael Edelstein] explained everything to us as far as what to expect and what our next steps would be going forward. He is very patient and understanding. He made sure to answer any questions we had. We felt very comfortable talking with him.... He was very caring and empathetic. He wanted to help anyway he could. I would definitely recommend him for a fertility doctor.
He explained everything to us as far as what to expect and what our next steps would be going forward. He is very patient and understanding. He made sure to answer any questions we had. We felt very comfortable talking with him.
He is very thorough in explaining everything so you will leave with alot of information.
I took fertility medication days 3-7. I would have to track my ovulation and when I got a positive test I had to call in to have an iui done the next day. I would then have to wait to see if I started my period or if I was pregnant. Unfortunately I had started my period and had to start it all over again. Of course we had to go through it twice and pregnacy never occured. We were told the next step would be ivf.
They were always prepared with everything and helpful. If I had any questions they were happy to answer.
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Always helpful, friendly, and compassionate.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I was a patient for 4 years and it took alot of tests, surgery, and various treatments to get pregnant, but the whole time he [Dr. Edelstein] was very caring and informative.
2011 - 2015
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I have no complaints at all. I was a patient for 4 years and it took alot of tests, surgery, and various treatments to get pregnant, but the whole time he was very caring and informative. The whole staff was wonderful!
Dr. E and his staff knew my name from the first appointment. They always remember what my career was, as well as my husband. From time to time i would see him or his staff around town and they would always stop and talk and ask how i was. Dr. E made a point to personally call me with any test results or news of any kind. He would even call from home on a weekend if he needed to. The 2 times i had ectopic pregnancies i had to have the methotrexate shot and both times i was upset and his nurses sat with me and comforted me. When i did become pregnant the whole staff was just as excited as i was. I loved them!