Good

Henrico
7607 Forest Ave
Richmond, VA 23229
804-256-2986

It was a very stressful time for me but I truly think that [Dr.] Edelstein felt bad that my treatments weren't working. He always seemed very positive at each visit and each time something failed he would remind me that we were getting a win: I was ovulating. Of course there would be times that I would get frustrated and feel like he wasn't listening but after I got up the courage to tell him exactly what I needed/wanted, he understood...He remembered things I would tell him, like going out of town or things relating to my job.
The nursing staff [at Fertility Institute of VA] was great at taking my concerns to the doctor. They explained things well and showed me different ways of giving myself shots. The only thing I feel like they dropped the ball on was when they scheduled me for the wrong procedure (hysteroscopy when I needed a HSG)...The exam room tables are facing the wrong way. When someone opens the door they can look directly at your private area. Kind of maze like the farther you get from the front.
How was your experience with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
It was a very stressful time for me but I truly think that Se Edelstein felt bad that my treatments weren't working. He always seemed very positive at each visit and each time something failed he would remind me that we were getting a win: I was ovulating. Of course there would be times that I would get frustrated and feel like he wasn't listening but after I got up the courage to tell him exactly what I needed/wanted, he understood.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
To be very blunt about your expectations and to set limits for how many times you do a specific procedure.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Describe the protocols Michael Edelstein used in your cycles at Fertility Institute of Virginia and their degree of success.
I took three doses of letrozole. Confirmed egg growth with ultrasounds and confirmed ovulation (once) with blood work. Two rounds of injectables, Gonal f. Had to increase dose because eggs stopped growing, confirmed egg growth with ultrasound and did trigger shot. Confirmed ovulation with blood work.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
The nursing staff was great at taking my concerns to the doctor. They explained things well and showed me different ways of giving myself shots. The only thing I feel like they dropped the ball on was when they scheduled me for the wrong procedure (hysteroscopy when I needed a HSG).
Describe your experience with Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Edelstein at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
I don't really remember the costs. It would be a copay and then usually $100-200 or visit out of pocket. All our injectables were out of pocket and not covered by insurance at all.
Describe Michael Edelstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Institute of Virginia.
Have not done.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Institute of Virginia?
Fertility Institute of Virginia
Richmond
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Michael Edelstein] has taken the time with us to go over options...I had multiple HSG’s to verify that my tubes were indeed blocked. I then had the tubes cleaned out and as they healed, one side partially closed while the other remained open. I was told that I have hydrospalnix. I wanted to try different options before going with his plan, which was to remove the tubes to increase the chance of success...was very detailed and showed us the statistics of the clinic and current overall success with IVF. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. I love the atmosphere and because they were the very first doctors I went too and felt comfortable with. I have no complaints. We went over pros and cons on what ever decision we were leaning towards and we tried them. So he was supportive but made sure we knew all risks.
love the atmosphere [at Shady Grove Fertility- Richmond]...I had great experiences with the nurses. If I had questions, they would assist. If I had to call in, before the close of business I would have a answer or the very next morning...I had multiple HSG’s to verify that my tubes were indeed blocked. I then had the tubes cleaned out and as they healed, one side partially closed while the other remained open. I was told that I have hydrospalnix. I wanted to try different options before going with his plan, which was to remove the tubes to increase the chance of success. So I decided to try a few IUIs using clomid, lextrazole, and both used a trigger shot. None of the IUIs were successful. We went onto another clinic due to us being military and that’s where we had a fresh IVF cycle completed and lost the baby about 4weeks.
How was your experience with Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Edelstein was very detailed and showed us the statistics of the clinic and current overall success with IVF. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. I love the atmosphere and because they were the very first doctors I went too and felt comfortable with. I have no complaints. We went over pros and cons on what ever decision we were leaning towards and we tried them. So he was supportive but made sure we knew all risks.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be open, clear, and stick to what you would like to happen or try first before making any life altering decisions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has taken the time with us to go over options but it’s just hard hearing what may have to happen with my tubes. I wanted to try different avenues first before having my tubes removed. We did try different approaches but some things still just didn’t work out.
Describe the protocols Michael Edelstein used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Be prepared to come in with a strong and positive attitude up front. It will be very tough going forward but be sure your comfort and care is taken care of. Become acquainted, be open, go over several options and think about it. Don’t make a decision right away. You can make some decisions that cannot be reversed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility.
For what we could afford while using federal insurance, each IUI was 350, plus 100 for the semen wash plus cost of meds. Copay only for clomid and lextrazole. The tubal reconstruction, I had to pay about 300. Each visit had a copay roughly of about 40. ( for the second doctor with Walter Reed, we had to pay 5,500 for the whole process; start to finish. This was only because I was lucky enough to land active duty orders. This is only temporary and can be cut at any time due to my change in status.
Describe Michael Edelstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
If I had a choice, I would do multiple. At shady grove we could but because of my change in service, I can not be seen at shady Grove unless we pay out of pocket for everything. So Walter Reed has a protocol and it’s very strict. One embryo under the age of 35.
Richmond