TrueNorth Fertility

ResidencyCornell
FellowshipYale
8 East 83rd
212-535-6001
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Guarnaccia to a friend?
6 Eggs Frozen
...I was in tears and Dr. Guarnaccia so happened to be in the office that Saturday, and purposely went out of his way to find me to calm me down and explain that we are not robots--we are human beings and one regimen of shots that works for one patient does not necessarily work for another. He strongly urged me not to give up and encouraged me to do another cycle for the egg freezing and advised that we would do a different regiment of shots. I appreciated his feedback and ultimately agreed, and while that cycle did not get as many eggs as hoped, we did get through the whole cycle and froze six eggs. I was advised to do another cycle
6 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia is an excellent, thoughtful and sensitive physician. When I started my first cycle for the egg freezing, when I came in on day 6 for my first ultrasound with the doctor on call to see whether the follicles were maturing, the results were negative - and I was instructed by that doctor to stop the fertility shots. I was in tears and Dr. Guarnaccia so happened to be in the office that Saturday, and purposely went out of his way to find me to calm me down and explain that we are not robots--we are human beings and one regimen of shots that works for one patient does not necessarily work for another. He strongly urged me not to give up and encouraged me to do another cycle for the egg freezing and advised that we would do a different regiment of shots. I appreciated his feedback and ultimately agreed, and while that cycle did not get as many eggs as hoped, we did get through the whole cycle and froze six eggs. I was advised to do another cycle to maximize the number of eggs but my finances (and well-being) decided against it for the time being.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia is a straight-shooter and will not beat around the bush. If you're looking for someone to sugarcoat it, he's not the one. He is diligent and will ask questions of you--and welcomes questions from you as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Very friendly and dedicated, hard workers.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The only real weakness is that for the check-ins with the bloodwork/ultrasounds you are not likely to see your physician, which isn't preferable as I would have liked my physician to be the one doing the ultrasound check-ins.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
The monitoring timeframe was always set very early in the morning, which was convenient given my work schedule.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University.
Everything involving egg freezing.
2011
We were matched with him [Dr. Guarnaccia] by the Center because we were diagnosed with secondary infertility and the person scheduling appointments at that time said she thought that he would be a good match. He barely looked us in the eye when he spoke with us. We tried to see other doctors in the practice as much as possible because we really did not think Dr. Guarnaccia had our best interests in mind when recommending treatment options - but was rather just concerned with stats of the Center.
2011
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia was more concerned with maintaining the center's statistics then relating to us as human beings. He was cavalier and made light of what was a very serious issue to us. He made us feel as if he were doing us a favor gracing us with his presence. We were matched with him by the Center because we were diagnosed with secondary infertility and the person scheduling appointments at that time said she thought that he would be a good match. He barely looked us in the eye when he spoke with us. We tried to see other doctors in the practice as much as possible because we really did not think Dr. Guarnaccia had our best interests in mind when recommending treatment options - but was rather just concerned with stats of the Center.
He has the type of personality where he thinks he is god's gift to those around him. Don't expect any genuine warmth or caring.
He Explained his assessment of our infertility issues with his feet up on the desk and an iced coffee in his hand. He was cavalier and generally did not seem to care beyond the center's statistics.
Describe the protocols Michael Guarnaccia used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
It was routine. Fertility drugs, IUI then IVF. Not personalized but rather their standard protocol.
Efficiency.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The hours and processes at CWRC are ideal to accommodate women who need early appointments before work. Location is convenient and the scheduling and billing staff is knowledgable and efficient. One of the unfortunate side effects is that it felt like a factory at times with little concern for the patients as people as opposed to potential statistics. Most doctors we encountered in our almost 2 years as patients at CWRC were lovely and genuine. On the other side of the coin were doctors like Dr. Guarnaccia, who was cavalier, did not take into consideration our thoughts on treatment and made us feel like he was doing us a favor. The Center lacked a human touch, but ultimately we would have done virtually anything to conceive. We gave up after emotionally exhausting rounds of fertility drugs, IUIs and IVF and conceived naturally 12 months later. The CWRC would be well served to make the process less stressful for patients by injecting a dose of compassion.
Columbia University
He [Dr Guarnaccia] comes off as very arrogant and aloof. When asking me questions about past experiences he scoffed at what I had tried to do to get pregnant like he was a miracle worker....From the moment you walk in it looks and feels like a factory. With each visit you don't know who will be your doctor and when Dr G was the doctor he treated me like he had never seen me before.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He comes off as very arrogant and aloof. When asking me questions about past experiences he scoffed at what I had tried to do to get pregnant like he was a miracle worker.
Don't go to Columbia. Period!
IUI with Clomid 50mg and a trigger shot (Ovidrel 250mg). That was done twice and after the 2nd unsuccessful IUI i never heard a word from Columbia. No one told me how bad I would feel during and after taking Clomid. I thought I was losing my mind.
Again I was there sometimes twice a week. The nursing staff isn't large. I was constantly telling them how to pronounce my name and I really don't want to see yawns and food on scrubs while i'm having my blood drawn.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
During my 1st IUI i was told by the nurse to wait on the 4th floor for my husband to finish. When I got to the 4th floor, a nurse yelled at me and told me I couldn't be down there. She argued with me when I tried to tell her that the nurse told me to wait there. She ended up being my nurse for that IUI. The waiting room plays HgTv on a loop, its always packed and the bathroom looks dirty and never had soap!
i think my total cost was $1800
Columbia University
He [Dr Guarnaccia] rushed me the initial conversations and seemed frustrated when I asked him questions. He seemed very frustrated when I mentioned I went to another doctor to consult about my fibroid issues, despite the fact that he doesn't treat fibroids. I got the sense that he wanted to rush into this very expensive egg freezing process for his benefit only.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He has 20+ years of experience, but for such a sensitive topic, he really had no empathy. I felt like I was being reprimanded during one of my visits.
Ask a lot of questions, probably try to see other doctors in his center.
He rushed me the initial conversations and seemed frustrated when I asked him questions. He seemed very frustrated when I mentioned I went to another doctor to consult about my fibroid issues, despite the fact that he doesn't treat fibroids. I got the sense that he wanted to rush into this very expensive egg freezing process for his benefit only.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina Leong)
Katrina was very thorough, however there is a disconnect between the treatment costs that she gave me and the costs that the billing department provided. She was completely unaware of the "package" that Columbia has been advertising.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Long waits and disorganized, never answers the phone. They will call you back when you leave messages, but the communication feels more like a free clinic than an established facility. The lobby is clean, but the actual exam rooms and offices are old.