Medical SchoolCase Western
ResidencyCornell
FellowshipYale
200 West 57th Street
212-810-2828
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Guarnaccia to a friend?

5.5

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Extend Fertility to a friend?
22 Eggs Frozen
I only did egg freezing [with Dr. Michael Guarnaccia]...always answered questions with patience and understanding. He's been doing this for a long time and he has empathy for his patients...is a knowledgeable and experienced doctor who is more old fashioned in the way he acts with his patients. He answered every question with patience and understanding, and I think he gets what his patients are going through because he's done this for so many years.
22 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Dr. Guarnaccia is a knowledgeable and experienced doctor who is more old fashioned in the way he acts with his patients. He answered every question with patience and understanding, and I think he gets what his patients are going through because he's done this for so many years.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Do the research before you start the process and be as informed as possible. It goes by fast and a lot of information will be thrown your way. If you know the questions to ask you'll always get an informed response.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Dr. Guarnaccia always answered questions with patience and understanding. He's been doing this for a long time and he has empathy for his patients.
Describe the protocols Michael Guarnaccia used in your cycles at Extend Fertility and their degree of success.
Microdose Lupron 10 units 2x a day Gonal-F 450 units 1x a day Menopur 2 vials 1x a day Estrdiol patches
The nurses at Extend were amazing! They were kind and compassionate and always got an answer for any question I had. They are truly the backbone of the clinic and some of the nicest people I've met.
Describe your experience with Extend Fertility.
I think Extend Fertility knows their business inside and out and I was happy with my results. It's hard to form a normal medical relationship with the doctors/nurses/staff because you're only a patient at the clinic temporarily so sometimes you can feel like a number. However, I think the staff tries their hardest not to make you feel that way, even on the busiest of days.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Extend Fertility.
It was a well oiled machine even on the busiest of days. When I first started at Extend they had appointments during morning monitoring hours but for my last cycle they had changed that to just showing up anytime between 7-9:30 am which I didn't like. Busy days were harder but everyone was always kind and worked very hard.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility.
Cycles were $5200 for the first and $4000 for any cycles performed after that. I don't recall the costs of all the medications but that differs for everyone.
Describe Michael Guarnaccia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Extend Fertility.
I only did egg freezing

20 Eggs Frozen
[Dr. Guarnaccia] was very straightforward and detailed, which is an approach I really appreciated. I felt that he was able to express care and concern while also being direct (warmth in a doctor is not a requirement for me in treatment). I would definitely recommend Dr. G to my friends who are interested in egg freezing... explained my bloodwork and ultrasound results, and showed me data comparing my results to others my age. He was specific about his recommendations regarding getting genetic testing done for my family's history of breast cancer.
20 Eggs Frozen
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Dr. G was very straightforward and detailed, which is an approach I really appreciated. I felt that he was able to express care and concern while also being direct (warmth in a doctor is not a requirement for me in treatment). I would definitely recommend Dr. G to my friends who are interested in egg freezing.
Come with your questions prepared--your anxiety will lessen as he gives you concrete information.
During my consultation, Dr. G reviewed details of my blood work and ultrasound, and the likely outcome of my egg freezing. I discussed my extensive family history of breast cancer and Dr. G strongly recommended I get genetic testing done before the egg freezing process so that we could adjust the hormones if necessary.
Dr. G explained my bloodwork and ultrasound results, and showed me data comparing my results to others my age. He was specific about his recommendations regarding getting genetic testing done for my family's history of breast cancer.
While I did not work specifically with one nurse, they were all compassionate and able to answer any questions I had.
Describe your experience with Extend Fertility.
The clinic is very organized and efficient. At times there would be many clients waiting to get their ultrasounds done in the mornings, but the process moved fast and I was never left waiting for long. The staff really listens to your concerns and makes themselves available to you.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Extend Fertility.
The window for the monitoring appointments was large enough that I never felt rushed or that it was an inconvenience. As I mentioned, at times the waiting area was very crowded, but the staff is so efficient that it moved fast.
Freezing = 5500 Storage = 2000 Meds = 2169 (I was able to use my friend's leftover hormone meds so saved around $400) Total = $9669
Extend

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility.

11 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
[Dr. Guarnaccia] was always kind and honest during my scans and egg retrieval procedures. As a 40 year old woman with only 1 ovary I had to be realistic about my situation. I really appreciated that though it would be a longer road I was always told that there was still hope...There were many times where my body was not responding to the course of treatment and instead of pressing me to go forward he would always give me the choice of wether I wanted to continue going forward knowing that the chances of an optimal result were low or to stop for this cycle and then try again next cycle. It made me feel good knowing he was more concerned with the result as opposed to just completing the cycle.
11 Eggs Frozen
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Dr. G was alway honest and realistic during my treatment. There were many times where my body was not responding to the course of treatment and instead of pressing me to go forward he would always give me the choice of wether I wanted to continue going forward knowing that the chances of an optimal result were low or to stop for this cycle and then try again next cycle. It made me feel good knowing he was more concerned with the result as opposed to just completing the cycle.
My work schedule forced me to come into the clinic very early when they opened at 7am and sometimes I would miss having him scan me. If its important to you to be always seen by the doctor I recommend coming in a little later (8am)
Dr G was always kind and honest during my scans and egg retrieval procedures. As a 40 year old woman with only 1 ovary I had to be realistic about my situation. I really appreciated that though it would be a longer road I was always told that there was still hope.
A year prior I had to have my right ovary removed due to a dermoid cyst. Due to my age I had a diminished ovarian reserve and had to take the maximum amount of hormones to see good results. For my first cycle we did a Follistim and Menopur protocol. But my body didn't respond and the cycle had to be cancelled early on. I did an estrogen patch for the days leading up to day 1 of my cycle and then. Then the next two successful cycles I did a micro-flare protocol where I took Follistim (once a day), Menopur (twice a day) and Lupron. (twice a day) and a Pregnyl trigger. For my third and most successful cycle I took Follistim and Menopur once a day and then also Ganarelyx for about 5 days towards the end of my cycle and was triggered with Pregnyl. Please keep in mind that in order to even do the 3 full cycles and retrievals I had about 3 cancelled cycles.
The nursing staff at the clinic is wonderful. I've been going to Extend for 2 years. The only negative thing I have to say is that as they grow in popularity and become a lot busier small details fall through the cracks a bit in terms of being able to ask follow up questions and phone calls
Describe your experience with Extend Fertility.
The clinic is in a great location in midtown near a lot of train lines. The staff is very friendly and know what they are doing. I always felt that I was in good hands (which is important when you have to get blood drawn every other day!) The hours are great for people like myself who have to start work early (I would normally go there for 7am for my monitoring appointments). The only weakness I would say is that as they grow in popularity the waiting area can get a little cramped
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Extend Fertility.
their monitoring hours were perfect because they started at 7am which allowed me to go before work. This was important for me so that I did not have to explain anything to my workplace
The costs to consider were the medications, the procedure fees and the storage fees.

5 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Guarnaccia] clearly had not looked at my file before he came in to perform surgery on me. ... . He asked me if I had any medical concerns. This was the first bad sign. When I said heart disease, history of fibroids, cysts and a clotting disorder, he started scrolling through his stack of papers. ... All I know is that this was an unexpected result and that I got infected under his care. ... He proceeded to go to the computer to get acquainted with my record as this was not necessarily going to be a walk in the park
5 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Dr. Guarnaccia came in as a tourist to perform surgery on me. It was the first time I saw him, ever, he was the per diem who came in to cover for my actual doctor that Saturday. Unlucky me. He asked me if I had any medical concerns. This was the first bad sign. When I said heart disease, history of fibroids, cysts and a clotting disorder, he started scrolling through his stack of papers. I was a little nervous at that point. He also asked me who "Jane Doe" was and I said she works here. I got alarmed then. He proceeded to go to the computer to get acquainted with my record as this was not necessarily going to be a walk in the park as he had expected. I took that moment to asked the nurse who that was. They explained my doc who I was confident in and choose to care for me, was away for Sabbath and this was the per diem who was going to perform the surgery. No one informed me of this ahead of time and I almost felt obliged to accept it. All I could think of as a patient was, I don't even know him, I just meet him and he doesn't seem competent; as well as all the money, injections, time off that it took to get to that day to freeze my eggs. I told myself it will all be fine, although I almost wanted to call my boyfriend who was sitting in the waiting room. However, the anesthesiologist came in, he knew exactly what he was doing and I thought it would be ok. A day after my surgery, I had intense pain at work ( i have a high pain tolerance) and my boss sent me home. I called my actual fertility doctor who said everyone reacts differently, if pain persists come for a visit. As far as the results, I am young with no ferlility issues whatsoever, but from the expected 12 eggs to be frozen, we only got 5. My actual doctor admitted it was very unusual. Unfortunately, the pain came back stronger a few weeks later. Basically, I was rushed to the ER from work - they said I had a cyst. Went home, still in pain for a week so I went to my actual doctor and he prescribed me medications. One more week of pain, I am rushed to the ER from my obgyn's office! She tells me this is bad and that I might lose my ovary. I got emergency surgery as the doctors at the hospital feared me losing my ovary due to an hemorraghic cyst. I was crushed. They said consent to have your ovary removed and I just felt numb at that point. When I woke up from surgery, my boyfriend tells me, you still have both your ovaries, instead I had been carrying a 6-week old infection that spread puss to my ovaries, uterus, abdomen, colon/rectum. You can imagine how I felt, emotionally and physically, all this pain. Infections are extremely rare and this was a very bad one. Because of all of this, my fallopian tubes are scared and I will probably need IVF to conceive as is will not happen spontaneously. I was just freezing my eggs as an option because of my heart and fibroid history. Basically, I have reduced my options when I thought I was being smart. And I wonder if this is what killed half of my eggs at retrieval. When I found this site and saw his reviews, I cried, I knew I had been screwed by this doctor. I had to be out recovering for about 3 months, not working. Ended up having to move upstate due to my precarious situation. My living condition is good but very stressful. I got the flu and to top it all, my second heart attack now. I will stop here but you get the point, my entire life has been hanged for the worst. I am thankful to this site and the other reviewers for sharing their story. I am not one to leave a review ever but I felt like a responsibility for anyone debating Dr. G’s care. With such a low review rate, I wonder why he’s even practicing and those hiring him to still be out there are to do their due diligence and be responsible.
Save yourself a bad ending. In my opinion, he should not be practicing and not hired as a per diem. You would think he is qualified and that you should trust him. I fell victim of an unprepared doctor with overwhelmingly bad reviews. Perhaps he has a calling in another field but not fertility.
He clearly had not looked at my file before he came in to perform surgery on me. My medical history is complex so it was obvious, he was scrolling through his stack of papers. He had to continuously leave the room to search for more information on the computer.
Dr. Guarnaccia was the per diem performing my retrieval, the most crucial part of the process. He was not part of that process. I was unaware he would perform the surgery on me. 12 eggs were retrieve and only 5 were frozen. All I know is that this was an unexpected result and that I got infected under his care. Also, had extra anti-coagulant shots to take during the hormone treatment because of my blood disorder.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Extend Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jordana)
I do not have any grievances with the nurses, they were all very nice, so was my care coordinator. Actually, the time I came in a week after my first ER visit, 2 of the nurses asked me if I needed help getting dressed. That is how bad my infection was, they felt sorry for me. I am fair and would rate them fairly, according to my experience.
Describe your experience with Extend Fertility.
The clinic did not inform me that on Sabbath day my doctor will not show and that instead I would get a low-rated 'fertility' doctor. That is unacceptable. I should have had the heads up to make a sound decision, instead of feeling pressed 10 mins before surgery in my hospital gown.
8,500 total
What specific things went wrong at Extend Fertility?

6 Eggs Frozen
...I was in tears and Dr. Guarnaccia so happened to be in the office that Saturday, and purposely went out of his way to find me to calm me down and explain that we are not robots--we are human beings and one regimen of shots that works for one patient does not necessarily work for another. He strongly urged me not to give up and encouraged me to do another cycle for the egg freezing and advised that we would do a different regiment of shots. I appreciated his feedback and ultimately agreed, and while that cycle did not get as many eggs as hoped, we did get through the whole cycle and froze six eggs. I was advised to do another cycle
6 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia is an excellent, thoughtful and sensitive physician. When I started my first cycle for the egg freezing, when I came in on day 6 for my first ultrasound with the doctor on call to see whether the follicles were maturing, the results were negative - and I was instructed by that doctor to stop the fertility shots. I was in tears and Dr. Guarnaccia so happened to be in the office that Saturday, and purposely went out of his way to find me to calm me down and explain that we are not robots--we are human beings and one regimen of shots that works for one patient does not necessarily work for another. He strongly urged me not to give up and encouraged me to do another cycle for the egg freezing and advised that we would do a different regiment of shots. I appreciated his feedback and ultimately agreed, and while that cycle did not get as many eggs as hoped, we did get through the whole cycle and froze six eggs. I was advised to do another cycle to maximize the number of eggs but my finances (and well-being) decided against it for the time being.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia is a straight-shooter and will not beat around the bush. If you're looking for someone to sugarcoat it, he's not the one. He is diligent and will ask questions of you--and welcomes questions from you as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Very friendly and dedicated, hard workers.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The only real weakness is that for the check-ins with the bloodwork/ultrasounds you are not likely to see your physician, which isn't preferable as I would have liked my physician to be the one doing the ultrasound check-ins.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Columbia University.
The monitoring timeframe was always set very early in the morning, which was convenient given my work schedule.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University.
Everything involving egg freezing.

2011
We were matched with him [Dr. Guarnaccia] by the Center because we were diagnosed with secondary infertility and the person scheduling appointments at that time said she thought that he would be a good match. He barely looked us in the eye when he spoke with us. We tried to see other doctors in the practice as much as possible because we really did not think Dr. Guarnaccia had our best interests in mind when recommending treatment options - but was rather just concerned with stats of the Center.
2011
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia was more concerned with maintaining the center's statistics then relating to us as human beings. He was cavalier and made light of what was a very serious issue to us. He made us feel as if he were doing us a favor gracing us with his presence. We were matched with him by the Center because we were diagnosed with secondary infertility and the person scheduling appointments at that time said she thought that he would be a good match. He barely looked us in the eye when he spoke with us. We tried to see other doctors in the practice as much as possible because we really did not think Dr. Guarnaccia had our best interests in mind when recommending treatment options - but was rather just concerned with stats of the Center.
He has the type of personality where he thinks he is god's gift to those around him. Don't expect any genuine warmth or caring.
He Explained his assessment of our infertility issues with his feet up on the desk and an iced coffee in his hand. He was cavalier and generally did not seem to care beyond the center's statistics.
Describe the protocols Michael Guarnaccia used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
It was routine. Fertility drugs, IUI then IVF. Not personalized but rather their standard protocol.
Efficiency.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The hours and processes at CWRC are ideal to accommodate women who need early appointments before work. Location is convenient and the scheduling and billing staff is knowledgable and efficient. One of the unfortunate side effects is that it felt like a factory at times with little concern for the patients as people as opposed to potential statistics. Most doctors we encountered in our almost 2 years as patients at CWRC were lovely and genuine. On the other side of the coin were doctors like Dr. Guarnaccia, who was cavalier, did not take into consideration our thoughts on treatment and made us feel like he was doing us a favor. The Center lacked a human touch, but ultimately we would have done virtually anything to conceive. We gave up after emotionally exhausting rounds of fertility drugs, IUIs and IVF and conceived naturally 12 months later. The CWRC would be well served to make the process less stressful for patients by injecting a dose of compassion.
Columbia University

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University.

Dr. Guarnaccia used a chart to determine the correct dosage for my egg retrieval medications based on my blood test and ultra sound results. He assured me that I was in the 95 percentile for my age so I am getting the lowest dose of hormones, which I appreciate.... He was very straightforward and informative. Easy to talk to, willing and able to answer all my questions.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
He seems well-informed and willing to answer my questions and spend time with me going over information. I felt comfortable in his hands and believe he is good at his job. I liked him and appreciate him.
I would go in with an open mind and understand that he is a busy man but he is present with you! He goes over all pertinent information and makes you feel well-informed. He is not going to add fluff but I think that is a good thing. He knows what he is talking about and has a lot of education and experience to back it up.
I have not had much experience with the nursing staff but everyone at the clinic seems very warm and professional.
Describe your experience with Extend Fertility.
I really like Extend Fertility! They marketed to me on Instagram and since that ad, the process had been very easy! They assign an administrator to you and he/she is with you throughout the process. That has been very nice.
approx. $6.5 k for the procedure, $4.5K for ten years of storage. $2.5K goes directly to pharmacy (this is the lowest dosage of hormones. They get more expensive as the amounts go up).... Overall, I think this is cheaper than the big NYC hospitals.
What specific things went wrong at Extend Fertility?
Extend

He [Dr Guarnaccia] comes off as very arrogant and aloof. When asking me questions about past experiences he scoffed at what I had tried to do to get pregnant like he was a miracle worker....From the moment you walk in it looks and feels like a factory. With each visit you don't know who will be your doctor and when Dr G was the doctor he treated me like he had never seen me before.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He comes off as very arrogant and aloof. When asking me questions about past experiences he scoffed at what I had tried to do to get pregnant like he was a miracle worker.
Don't go to Columbia. Period!
IUI with Clomid 50mg and a trigger shot (Ovidrel 250mg). That was done twice and after the 2nd unsuccessful IUI i never heard a word from Columbia. No one told me how bad I would feel during and after taking Clomid. I thought I was losing my mind.
Again I was there sometimes twice a week. The nursing staff isn't large. I was constantly telling them how to pronounce my name and I really don't want to see yawns and food on scrubs while i'm having my blood drawn.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
During my 1st IUI i was told by the nurse to wait on the 4th floor for my husband to finish. When I got to the 4th floor, a nurse yelled at me and told me I couldn't be down there. She argued with me when I tried to tell her that the nurse told me to wait there. She ended up being my nurse for that IUI. The waiting room plays HgTv on a loop, its always packed and the bathroom looks dirty and never had soap!
i think my total cost was $1800
Columbia University

He [Dr Guarnaccia] rushed me the initial conversations and seemed frustrated when I asked him questions. He seemed very frustrated when I mentioned I went to another doctor to consult about my fibroid issues, despite the fact that he doesn't treat fibroids. I got the sense that he wanted to rush into this very expensive egg freezing process for his benefit only.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He has 20+ years of experience, but for such a sensitive topic, he really had no empathy. I felt like I was being reprimanded during one of my visits.
Ask a lot of questions, probably try to see other doctors in his center.
He rushed me the initial conversations and seemed frustrated when I asked him questions. He seemed very frustrated when I mentioned I went to another doctor to consult about my fibroid issues, despite the fact that he doesn't treat fibroids. I got the sense that he wanted to rush into this very expensive egg freezing process for his benefit only.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina Leong)
Katrina was very thorough, however there is a disconnect between the treatment costs that she gave me and the costs that the billing department provided. She was completely unaware of the "package" that Columbia has been advertising.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Long waits and disorganized, never answers the phone. They will call you back when you leave messages, but the communication feels more like a free clinic than an established facility. The lobby is clean, but the actual exam rooms and offices are old.
16 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Guarnaccia took the time to explain the process to me every step of the way. He thoughtfully answered my questions throughout my stimulation and made sure I understood exactly why he made the decisions that he did regarding my dosage...is extremely knowledgable and kind. I felt like he really understood and cared how I felt throughout the process and he took the time to answer every question big or small. I would (and have!) recommend Dr. G to friends.
16 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Dr. G is extremely knowledgable and kind. I felt like he really understood and cared how I felt throughout the process and he took the time to answer every question big or small. I would (and have!) recommend Dr. G to friends.
My starting protocol was 225iu of Follistim and 2 vials of Menopur with a Lupron trigger.
Describe your experience with Extend Fertility.
Although Dr. G was my main doctor, I did also meet Dr. Klein and Dr. Maslow through an egg freezing 101. I found them all to be equally knowledgable and passionate about helping their patients. The staff at Extend is thoughtful and very helpful. They make this process simple and even enjoyable.