7.1

Extend
200 West 57th Street
212-810-2828

2018, 5 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Guarnaccia] clearly had not looked at my file before he came in to perform surgery on me. ... . He asked me if I had any medical concerns. This was the first bad sign. When I said heart disease, history of fibroids, cysts and a clotting disorder, he started scrolling through his stack of papers. ... All I know is that this was an unexpected result and that I got infected under his care. ... He proceeded to go to the computer to get acquainted with my record as this was not necessarily going to be a walk in the park
They [Extend Fertility] failed to inform me that the doctor that I worked with for 6 months to freeze my eggs was not going to actually going to do the procedure! A per diem was going to take on my complex case. That was not what I signed up for. I paid this hard-earned money with no help from a loan or an insurance, that is the least I could have expected. ... That is unacceptable. I should have had the heads up to make a sound decision, instead of feeling pressed 10 mins before surgery in my hospital gown.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Dr. Guarnaccia came in as a tourist to perform surgery on me. It was the first time I saw him, ever, he was the per diem who came in to cover for my actual doctor that Saturday. Unlucky me. He asked me if I had any medical concerns. This was the first bad sign. When I said heart disease, history of fibroids, cysts and a clotting disorder, he started scrolling through his stack of papers. I was a little nervous at that point. He also asked me who "Jane Doe" was and I said she works here. I got alarmed then. He proceeded to go to the computer to get acquainted with my record as this was not necessarily going to be a walk in the park as he had expected. I took that moment to asked the nurse who that was. They explained my doc who I was confident in and choose to care for me, was away for Sabbath and this was the per diem who was going to perform the surgery. No one informed me of this ahead of time and I almost felt obliged to accept it. All I could think of as a patient was, I don't even know him, I just meet him and he doesn't seem competent; as well as all the money, injections, time off that it took to get to that day to freeze my eggs. I told myself it will all be fine, although I almost wanted to call my boyfriend who was sitting in the waiting room. However, the anesthesiologist came in, he knew exactly what he was doing and I thought it would be ok. A day after my surgery, I had intense pain at work ( i have a high pain tolerance) and my boss sent me home. I called my actual fertility doctor who said everyone reacts differently, if pain persists come for a visit. As far as the results, I am young with no ferlility issues whatsoever, but from the expected 12 eggs to be frozen, we only got 5. My actual doctor admitted it was very unusual. Unfortunately, the pain came back stronger a few weeks later. Basically, I was rushed to the ER from work - they said I had a cyst. Went home, still in pain for a week so I went to my actual doctor and he prescribed me medications. One more week of pain, I am rushed to the ER from my obgyn's office! She tells me this is bad and that I might lose my ovary. I got emergency surgery as the doctors at the hospital feared me losing my ovary due to an hemorraghic cyst. I was crushed. They said consent to have your ovary removed and I just felt numb at that point. When I woke up from surgery, my boyfriend tells me, you still have both your ovaries, instead I had been carrying a 6-week old infection that spread puss to my ovaries, uterus, abdomen, colon/rectum. You can imagine how I felt, emotionally and physically, all this pain. Infections are extremely rare and this was a very bad one. Because of all of this, my fallopian tubes are scared and I will probably need IVF to conceive as is will not happen spontaneously. I was just freezing my eggs as an option because of my heart and fibroid history. Basically, I have reduced my options when I thought I was being smart. And I wonder if this is what killed half of my eggs at retrieval. When I found this site and saw his reviews, I cried, I knew I had been screwed by this doctor. I had to be out recovering for about 3 months, not working. Ended up having to move upstate due to my precarious situation. My living condition is good but very stressful. I got the flu and to top it all, my second heart attack now. I will stop here but you get the point, my entire life has been hanged for the worst. I am thankful to this site and the other reviewers for sharing their story. I am not one to leave a review ever but I felt like a responsibility for anyone debating Dr. G’s care. With such a low review rate, I wonder why he’s even practicing and those hiring him to still be out there are to do their due diligence and be responsible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
Save yourself a bad ending. In my opinion, he should not be practicing and not hired as a per diem. You would think he is qualified and that you should trust him. I fell victim of an unprepared doctor with overwhelmingly bad reviews. Perhaps he has a calling in another field but not fertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility?
He clearly had not looked at my file before he came in to perform surgery on me. My medical history is complex so it was obvious, he was scrolling through his stack of papers. He had to continuously leave the room to search for more information on the computer.
Describe the protocols Michael Guarnaccia used in your cycles at Extend Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Guarnaccia was the per diem performing my retrieval, the most crucial part of the process. He was not part of that process. I was unaware he would perform the surgery on me. 12 eggs were retrieve and only 5 were frozen. All I know is that this was an unexpected result and that I got infected under his care. Also, had extra anti-coagulant shots to take during the hormone treatment because of my blood disorder.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Extend Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jordana)
I do not have any grievances with the nurses, they were all very nice, so was my care coordinator. Actually, the time I came in a week after my first ER visit, 2 of the nurses asked me if I needed help getting dressed. That is how bad my infection was, they felt sorry for me. I am fair and would rate them fairly, according to my experience.
Describe your experience with Extend Fertility.
The clinic did not inform me that on Sabbath day my doctor will not show and that instead I would get a low-rated 'fertility' doctor. That is unacceptable. I should have had the heads up to make a sound decision, instead of feeling pressed 10 mins before surgery in my hospital gown.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Guarnaccia at Extend Fertility.
8,500 total
What specific things went wrong at Extend Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Extend Fertility.
They failed to inform me that the doctor that I worked with for 6 months to freeze my eggs was not going to actually going to do the procedure! A per diem was going to take on my complex case. That was not what I signed up for. I paid this hard-earned money with no help from a loan or an insurance, that is the least I could have expected.
Extend

2011, Unsuccessful
We were matched with him [Dr. Guarnaccia] by the Center because we were diagnosed with secondary infertility and the person scheduling appointments at that time said she thought that he would be a good match. He barely looked us in the eye when he spoke with us. We tried to see other doctors in the practice as much as possible because we really did not think Dr. Guarnaccia had our best interests in mind when recommending treatment options - but was rather just concerned with stats of the Center.
The hours and processes at CWRC [Columbia Fertility] are ideal to accommodate women who need early appointments before work. Location is convenient and the scheduling and billing staff is knowledgeable and efficient. One of the unfortunate side effects is that it felt like a factory at times with little concern for the patients as people as opposed to potential statistics. Most doctors we encountered in our almost 2 years as patients at CWRC were lovely and genuine.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
Dr. Guarnaccia was more concerned with maintaining the center's statistics then relating to us as human beings. He was cavalier and made light of what was a very serious issue to us. He made us feel as if he were doing us a favor gracing us with his presence. We were matched with him by the Center because we were diagnosed with secondary infertility and the person scheduling appointments at that time said she thought that he would be a good match. He barely looked us in the eye when he spoke with us. We tried to see other doctors in the practice as much as possible because we really did not think Dr. Guarnaccia had our best interests in mind when recommending treatment options - but was rather just concerned with stats of the Center.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He has the type of personality where he thinks he is god's gift to those around him. Don't expect any genuine warmth or caring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He Explained his assessment of our infertility issues with his feet up on the desk and an iced coffee in his hand. He was cavalier and generally did not seem to care beyond the center's statistics.
Describe the protocols Michael Guarnaccia used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
It was routine. Fertility drugs, IUI then IVF. Not personalized but rather their standard protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
Efficiency.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The hours and processes at CWRC are ideal to accommodate women who need early appointments before work. Location is convenient and the scheduling and billing staff is knowledgable and efficient. One of the unfortunate side effects is that it felt like a factory at times with little concern for the patients as people as opposed to potential statistics. Most doctors we encountered in our almost 2 years as patients at CWRC were lovely and genuine. On the other side of the coin were doctors like Dr. Guarnaccia, who was cavalier, did not take into consideration our thoughts on treatment and made us feel like he was doing us a favor. The Center lacked a human touch, but ultimately we would have done virtually anything to conceive. We gave up after emotionally exhausting rounds of fertility drugs, IUIs and IVF and conceived naturally 12 months later. The CWRC would be well served to make the process less stressful for patients by injecting a dose of compassion.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.
We had done their max recommended number of drug cycles and were moving on to IUI but they did not call in the typescript ions we needed and so we missed an IUI cycle.
Columbia University

He [Dr Guarnaccia] comes off as very arrogant and aloof. When asking me questions about past experiences he scoffed at what I had tried to do to get pregnant like he was a miracle worker....From the moment you walk in it looks and feels like a factory. With each visit you don't know who will be your doctor and when Dr G was the doctor he treated me like he had never seen me before.
From the moment you walk in it [Columbia University's fertility clinic] looks and feels like a factory. With each visit you don't know who will be your doctor and when Dr G was the doctor he treated me like he had never seen me before....During my 1st IUI i was told by the nurse to wait on the 4th floor for my husband to finish. When I got to the 4th floor, a nurse yelled at me and told me I couldn't be down there. She argued with me when I tried to tell her that the nurse told me to wait there. She ended up being my nurse for that IUI. The waiting room plays HgTv on a loop, its always packed and the bathroom looks dirty and never had soap!
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He comes off as very arrogant and aloof. When asking me questions about past experiences he scoffed at what I had tried to do to get pregnant like he was a miracle worker.
Don't go to Columbia. Period!
IUI with Clomid 50mg and a trigger shot (Ovidrel 250mg). That was done twice and after the 2nd unsuccessful IUI i never heard a word from Columbia. No one told me how bad I would feel during and after taking Clomid. I thought I was losing my mind.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Columbia University.
Again I was there sometimes twice a week. The nursing staff isn't large. I was constantly telling them how to pronounce my name and I really don't want to see yawns and food on scrubs while i'm having my blood drawn.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University.
i think my total cost was $1800
2016, Unknown Success
He [Dr Guarnaccia] rushed me the initial conversations and seemed frustrated when I asked him questions. He seemed very frustrated when I mentioned I went to another doctor to consult about my fibroid issues, despite the fact that he doesn't treat fibroids. I got the sense that he wanted to rush into this very expensive egg freezing process for his benefit only.
In my first ultra sound they discovered fibroids and recommended a different type of ultra sound. It took me three weeks to get the approval and appointment scheduled. The nurses had different information and it turned out I didn't need approval and could have gone immediately....Katrina was very thorough, however there is a disconnect between the treatment costs that she gave me and the costs that the billing department provided. She was completely unaware of the "package" that Columbia has been advertising.
How was your experience with Michael Guarnaccia at Columbia University?
He has 20+ years of experience, but for such a sensitive topic, he really had no empathy. I felt like I was being reprimanded during one of my visits.
Ask a lot of questions, probably try to see other doctors in his center.
He rushed me the initial conversations and seemed frustrated when I asked him questions. He seemed very frustrated when I mentioned I went to another doctor to consult about my fibroid issues, despite the fact that he doesn't treat fibroids. I got the sense that he wanted to rush into this very expensive egg freezing process for his benefit only.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Katrina Leong)
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Long waits and disorganized, never answers the phone. They will call you back when you leave messages, but the communication feels more like a free clinic than an established facility. The lobby is clean, but the actual exam rooms and offices are old.
What specific things went wrong at Columbia University?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Columbia University.