Medical SchoolLoyola U.
FellowshipUSC
121 North Elm Street
Hinsdale, IL 60521
630-856-3535
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Hickey to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Hinsdale Center for Reproduction to a friend?
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Hickey is nice, soft spoken and likes to explain the science associated with conception in great detail. However, he rarely participates in appointments, instead leaving everything to the nursing staff. He is not at all aggressive in his treatment plans. ... This same treatment was done repeatedly with no variation. The rationale being that everything seemed to be in line for this protocol to be successful
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
If you are looking for a slow and steady approach, he is the doctor for you. If you are in a hurry to get things moving, I would look elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
The staff is kind and very efficient. I’ve rarely had to wait for appointments. The nurses have positive attitudes and seem sympathetic to my lack of success. However, I rarely see the doctor himself which I find a bit frustrating.
Describe the protocols Michael Hickey used in your cycles at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction and their degree of success.
Lowest dose of clomid for 5 days, usually beginning on day three. Mid-cycle ultrasound to confirm lining thickness, follicle count and size, natural ovulation (no trigger shot), followed by IUI. A progesterone blood test was taken one week after insemination to confirm ovulation. This same treatment was done repeatedly with no variation. The rationale being that everything seemed to be in line for this protocol to be successful. Follicle count was 2-4 each cycle, lining was always good, progesterone was good all but one cycle. No pregnancies achieved.
The nursing staff is pretty good. They are kind and extremely efficient. They basically manage all the testing appointments since the doctor is rarely available. They do their best to answer questions and try to be compassionate when cycles are unsuccessful. They are great about calling with blood test results.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
This is a small friendly clinic. They are extremely efficient and almost always on time with appointments. Being next door to the hospital means same day blood test results. The nursing staff runs the show here. Dr. Hickey rarely checks in unless you are having a procedure done (sometimes not even then. Occasionally the nurses will perform the IUI as well). Their protocols are perhaps not the latest and greatest. Dr. Hickey certainly seems to prefer a slow approach. They only do IVF 3 or 4 times a year because they use a traveling embryologist. It seems to be their default to say IVF is not covered by insurance. Definitely verify with your insurance company before starting treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
Ultrasounds and bloodwork was partially covered and Clomid was free with insurance. Refused to accept coverage for IUIs. These are $600 paid in advance the day of the procedure. I did not use them, but I know they sometimes have injectable medications donated from other patients that they can give out at no charge.
Hinsdale

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.

Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. Michael Hickey] remembers every aspect of our journey. He is always there when we have any questions. He is readily available when we need him. We are not just a number to him. We are his patients... is so compassionate. He takes all the time the situation needs. He does not run you out of the office simply bc you’re past your appointment time...I know he truly cares for us and wants us to get pregnant. He kindly listens to any concerns or questions and helps find answers.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Hickey is so compassionate. He takes all the time the situation needs. He does not run you out of the office simply bc you’re past your appointment time. He knows every aspect of our journey and treats it as though it were his own. I never feel like just a number to him. I know he truly cares for us and wants us to get pregnant. He kindly listens to any concerns or questions and helps find answers.
He’s very conservative in his approach. He loves what he does and is extremely passionate. He will not rush your treatment. Expect to take time to get to the bottom of the situation, but every inch will be covered. You will be in good hands.
He remembers every aspect of our journey. He is always there when we have any questions. He is readily available when we need him. We are not just a number to him. We are his patients.
I had all of the testing at a previous location. He was not satisfied with th results of a test and requested I do it again. His instinct was correct and the testing resulted in a finding that was not found before. He does the IUI’s, the surgeries, IVF. He makes sure you’re in prime condition to procede with procedure. He will not simply keep going if there is a problem like other doctors will/do.
The nursing staff is great! They go above and beyond when providing results by suggesting routes that can improve results. They are kind and compassionate. Always ready for my million questions and never seem annoyed.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
This clinic is very small, which is a strength for me. Everyone knows me by name and knows our journey. They are an old school office, which some might not like, but I love. They don’t have the newest and greatest technology, but that’s what Dr. Hickey wants and is best at! Their communication is what made me fall in love with them from the beginning. They will answer via email even on weekends. They are amazing and I wouldn’t trust anyone else on this journey.
They do their best to capture anything they can that insurance will cover. They are expensive for things that are not covered, but in my opinion, it is worth it.
Hinsdale

Dr. Hickey is friendly and made us feel at ease. Dr. Hickey did a great job of explaining the procedures we were going to be doing. He answered all of our questions. When he did perform certain tests he was thorough and explained everything in an easy to understand manner. We are hopeful that we will have success with Dr. Hickey as we move to IVF.... Dr. Hickey then started us off with 100 mg of Clomid - we tried 2 months without IUI. When then moved to 100mg of Clomid with IUI.
European, Prefer not to answer
Make sure that you discuss prices right away. Dr. Hickey can be very accommodating with helping out with the cost of procedures.
All of the office staff know us and greet us by name. When I call the office they are very friendly. They sometimes know my results without my charts in front of them.
I had an HSG with another doctor 4 months before seeing Dr. Hickey to unblock my tubes. Dr. Hickey then started us off with 100 mg of Clomid - we tried 2 months without IUI. When then moved to 100mg of Clomid with IUI. The IUI procedure was performed in October 2016 but that did not result in a pregnancy. Dr. Hickey said we would try 4 IUIs and then move to IVF. During the next 2 months I ovulated too early and the IUIs could not be performed. After that Dr. Hickey recommended we move to IVF.
The nursing staff has all been very friendly and helpful. Sally has been very informative and comforting as we start our IVF process. Victoria is great at drawing my blood quickly without it hurting. All the sonogram technicians have been supportive, especially Sarah who also performed our IUI.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
I like that the clinic is very small. I am often the only person in the waiting room, which definitely helps me feel more like a patient and not a number. The main reason we moved to this clinic was the lower prices for many of the procedures. One weakness would be that we have not seen the doctor as much as we would like but now that we are moving to IVF we have seen him more. Another concern I have is that IVF is only performed every 3 months due to their traveling embryologist. If my first IVF procedure in April does not work, we will have to wait until July for the next one.
When we first started with Dr. Hickey, we did not have fertility coverage with our health insurance. The office manager was able to code our procedures so that we were paying around $80 for blood work and an ultrasound each month. Our IUI procedure was $600. We have not received billing yet for our IVF yet but we were informed the cost would be around $19,000, but we have second insurance now, so it will be less.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Doctor Michael Hickey is a very intelligent and sensitive doctor. He listens to you very attentively and makes a structured plan to fit your needs. He had excellent bedside manner as well. As a patient I felt like I was in good hands and looked out for. I never felt dismissed or like I was a bother, which to me was important. I wanted to be heard about my concerns, I feel I was.
In my personal opinion my advice would be to speak up more. If you do not want to go a certain route, voice that. Because you could agree to protocol and a plan and as time is elapsing, you’re thinking maybe that was not the plan you wanted to go. Speak up about your concerns and advocate for yourself. You have nothing to lose but someone saying no. Your doctor and care will always be your choice. Not every doctor is a perfect to each patient.
Nurses and staff treated me kind and fairly. Calm and professional environment.
Without going too much in depth of my personal cycles, I can give some vague examples. Dr Hickey likes to move slowly, at least that was my case. Medications start off low and slow which I cant complain because that is a safety measure. I respected how I was monitored closely. When 2 of the IUIs had failed, Dr Hickey suggested we do a surgery so he could have eyes on what was happening inside my body. I was glad to see him investing in my case and attempting different ways of obtaining the objective.
The nursing staff is excellent here. There are some that hold a special place in my heart just because they went above and beyond caring for me. Sally, you’re a gem. I still talk about you to this day. From the kind gestures on each call you had to give me not so good news, or just being extra gentle with my blood draws, you were so kind to me. I really never had any negative experiences with anyone in particular. Just a friendly piece of advice, try to be kind. Us patients know you’re human too and have bad days, but please just try to be kind.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
The clinic itself was clean, quiet, I suppose all that you’d want. You don’t spend too much time in there, visits are quick. Turnaround times always seemed fast paced. Bring some reading material just so when you do check in and wait for the short time, you have something to keep occupied. Be organized with your insurance, calendar for appt days, stay on top of balances owed. They are very organized and Victoria is the saint behind all the paperwork im convinced. They work like a well oiled machine there, so there isn’t too much to say.
I remember the medications were a pain. I didn’t have much help with finding affordable solutions for pricey meds. I was frantic most the time trying to order the correct medication at a discounted rate, wondering if I would receive on time. It would be nice if the clinic helped in any way to advocate with you to retrieve the correct medications needed. Medication costs were also a reason we didn’t proceed with IVF at that time.
Hinsdale

Dr. Hickey is fantastic. I felt that I wasn't a number--he really made me feel comfortable, ensured that I knew all of my treatment options, presented information in multiple ways to ensure that I understood everything, and is really a master of his subject. When you are dealing with him--you understand that you are dealing with someone with a very high level of understanding of different ways to deal with fertility challenges. He also worked with me to make sure that I could continue (as much of) my life as normal--so I didn't feel like a robot. He is very compassionate, and has a great bedside manner. He is outstanding--I highly recommend him and his team.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, or communicate what is important to you. Dr. Hickey will work with you to make sure you understand everything and will work to make sure you are able to continue as much of your life as possible during the whole process.
Dr. Hickey and his team were very sensitive during the entire process. Dr. Hickey is very thorough with the information provided, and he really goes above and beyond to ensure that you understand your treatment options. He works with you to make you feel like a human during the process. His team of nurses are outstanding, and his administrative team is fantastic. The communication quality and quantity was on-point.
There are four different nurses that you may work with during your fertility journey...and they are all outstanding. Even though one may assist in your care for one appointment--and another nurse for another appointment--everyone is aware of where you are in the process, and you don't feel like there are "hand offs." They are very compassionate and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
The clinic runs like a well-oiled machine. Victoria is outstanding at helping you manage the appointment, billing, and pharmaceutical components. The clinic itself has everything required on-site--and if you need to go elsewhere, they are attached to Hinsdale hospital, so if you had to go somewhere--you'd go to Hinsdale. The clinic is clean and inviting, and it is easy to park.

Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Hickey is a gentleman and everyone at the practice is very supportive....the technology at Dr. Hickey's practice seemed a little out of date. It was also frustrating that the IVF cycles were only done 4 times per year, and if you didn't respond quick enough to the meds it really impacted the success of the cycle...[he] started me on minimum dosage of Gonal-F and Menopur because of my age (28), and then when I was responding, they exponentially increased it throughout the stim phase.
Anovulation, Unexplained
The experience was fine. Dr. Hickey is a gentleman and everyone at the practice is very supportive. Unfortunately, we did not find success under his care. After switching to a second doctor, we did come to realize that the technology at Dr. Hickey's practice seemed a little out of date. It was also frustrating that the IVF cycles were only done 4 times per year, and if you didn't respond quick enough to the meds it really impacted the success of the cycle (not to mention the emotional toll of worrying and stress).
IVF is only offered 4 times per year. You may have to wait several months before you begin.
Dr. Hickey's practice is very intimate. Often you feel as though you are the only patient - that is because the scheduling nurse is super cautious when scheduling patients to ensure that each appointment will be as efficient as possible. All of the nurses knew us by name and were truly supportive of our journey, even though it did not end up working out at this practice.
I took birth control the month before. They started me on minimum dosage of Gonal-F and Menopur because of my age (28), and then when I was responding, they exponentially increased it throughout the stim phase. This treatment was not successful for me.
They are wonderful. Very supportive and kind.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
Strengths - you feel like you are they only patient and that is nice. Weaknesses - technology is outdated, IVF is only offered 4 times per year, stressful timing
There were several out of pocket costs, even though Dr. Hickey was considered in network. Meds and treatment cost approx $8000 even though we were supposedly "fully covered" by our insurance with this practice.
Hinsdale

Terrible experience. He [Dr. Michael Hickey] didn't seem to have a clue about what my real problem was and hardly provided any treatment. He suggested IUI with no chlomid and I was already of advanced age. He said it was my husband's sperm that was the problem. My husband had normal sperm.... It was only after going to two other doctors, after wasting 3 months here, that I learned I had diminished ovarian reserve and should not waste more time doing IUIs. This doctor only prescreibed IUI with no meds.
Terrible experience. He didn't seem to have a clue about what my real problem was and hardly provided any treatment. He suggested IUI with no chlomid and I was already of advanced age. He said it was my husband's sperm that was the problem. My husband had normal sperm. I'm not even sure he does IVF. We would've never had anything happen if we stayed there.
Don't go.
This clinic is really terrible. The doctor acts like he knows what he was talking about but he does not. The nurses are not much better. There are hardly any patients from what I could tell so I was not treated like a number, but that was the only positive.
I got no information from nurses. One was actually very rude to me. The others didn't seem to know anything.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
It is really terrible. There is no sense of urgency or even the ability to understand why a woman over 35 can't get pregnant. The diagnostics were awful too. My FSH was super high and they didn't even address it.

2008 - 2015
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Don't take his [Dr Hickey's] soft spoken side as a sign of incompetence...He was always so supportive and kind. He was reassuring during procedures and hopeful along with me for positive results
2008 - 2015
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Don't take his soft spoken side as a sign of incompetence
Bedside manner was so kind. Very individualized care
Because I had unexplained infertility and was not successful after many iui attempts, he advised IVF with a maximum of 2 transferred. I had multiples both times I had IVF with two Embryos transferred
Describe your experience with your nurse at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Victoria Jones)
A great team to work with! They treat you like family and work to resolve insurance issues with and for you. They were flexible with appointments and got you in and out of the office in a timely manner
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
It is an old building but it is nicely hidden in an area where you aren't colliding with the hospital traffic even though it's connected to the hospital
Covered by insurance after 2500 deductible.

2 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
[Dr Hickey] is obviously very knowledgeable and takes the time to make sure you understand the science behind what is happening (or not as the case may be!). We felt very secure under his care. In the end - he gave us the counsel we needed - to pursue donor eggs - so we did. That meant leaving his practice (they don't do donor eggs)...
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr Hickey is so very personable - he is obviously very knowledgeable and takes the time to make sure you understand the science behind what is happening (or not as the case may be!). We felt very secure under his care. In the end - he gave us the counsel we needed - to pursue donor eggs - so we did. That meant leaving his practice (they don't do donor eggs), but it was the best decision for us.
Don't delay, go see him right away!
Dr Hickeys staff is amazing - they go out of their way to accommodate and make the process as easy as possible. They answer the phone, they are easy to communicate with (they do a lot over email, which is great) and they truly care!
They knew me as a person and we're all very personally focused on my care
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
Easy and convenient