6.8

Michael Hickey works at

121 North Elm Street
Hinsdale, IL 60521
630-856-3535

Dr. Hickey is nice, soft spoken and likes to explain the science associated with conception in great detail. However, he rarely participates in appointments, instead leaving everything to the nursing staff. He is not at all aggressive in his treatment plans. ... This same treatment was done repeatedly with no variation. The rationale being that everything seemed to be in line for this protocol to be successful
This is a small friendly clinic [Hinsdale Cntr for Repro]. They are extremely efficient and almost always on time with appointments. Being next door to the hospital means same day blood test results. The nursing staff runs the show here. ... They only do IVF 3 or 4 times a year because they use a traveling embryologist. It seems to be their default to say IVF is not covered by insurance. Definitely verify with your insurance company before starting treatment.
How was your experience with Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
If you are looking for a slow and steady approach, he is the doctor for you. If you are in a hurry to get things moving, I would look elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
The staff is kind and very efficient. I’ve rarely had to wait for appointments. The nurses have positive attitudes and seem sympathetic to my lack of success. However, I rarely see the doctor himself which I find a bit frustrating.
Describe the protocols Michael Hickey used in your cycles at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction and their degree of success.
Lowest dose of clomid for 5 days, usually beginning on day three. Mid-cycle ultrasound to confirm lining thickness, follicle count and size, natural ovulation (no trigger shot), followed by IUI. A progesterone blood test was taken one week after insemination to confirm ovulation. This same treatment was done repeatedly with no variation. The rationale being that everything seemed to be in line for this protocol to be successful. Follicle count was 2-4 each cycle, lining was always good, progesterone was good all but one cycle. No pregnancies achieved.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
The nursing staff is pretty good. They are kind and extremely efficient. They basically manage all the testing appointments since the doctor is rarely available. They do their best to answer questions and try to be compassionate when cycles are unsuccessful. They are great about calling with blood test results.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
This is a small friendly clinic. They are extremely efficient and almost always on time with appointments. Being next door to the hospital means same day blood test results. The nursing staff runs the show here. Dr. Hickey rarely checks in unless you are having a procedure done (sometimes not even then. Occasionally the nurses will perform the IUI as well). Their protocols are perhaps not the latest and greatest. Dr. Hickey certainly seems to prefer a slow approach. They only do IVF 3 or 4 times a year because they use a traveling embryologist. It seems to be their default to say IVF is not covered by insurance. Definitely verify with your insurance company before starting treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
Ultrasounds and bloodwork was partially covered and Clomid was free with insurance. Refused to accept coverage for IUIs. These are $600 paid in advance the day of the procedure. I did not use them, but I know they sometimes have injectable medications donated from other patients that they can give out at no charge.
What specific things went wrong at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
Because Dr. Hickey is rarely available, the nurses will sometimes give inaccurate information which they will later have to correct after consulting with him.
Hinsdale

he [Dr. Michael Hickey] was conservative in his plan, I had two failed IUIs with clomid and he was planning another one when I asked about doing ivf instead...Despite my high AMH and fsh, i only ended up with 5 eggs, 3 were fertilized and only 2 made it to day 3. I had 2 to do a fresh transfer on day 3 with no success...is a knowledgeable and experienced doctor but the staff and outdated technology hinder the results that you would expect...With only 4 ivf during a year, you will have to wait in between.
[Hinsdale Center for Reproduction is] a small clinic, I felt like I was just a number to them because the care that I received from staff was cold and rushed. They only do ivf 4 times a year, all monitoring appointments are clustered together. Despite the fact that they are a small clinic, during monitoring you are just a Number to them...Plan on having back up plan after a failed attempt. With only 4 ivf during a year, you will have to wait in between...Nurses were always rushed with me, if I didn’t take pee and take off my pants fast enough they would abruptly leave exam room and go on to next patient. We were like cattle receiving inoculations.
Dr Hickey is a knowledgeable and experienced doctor but the staff and outdated technology hinder the results that you would expect. Dr Hickey himself is a soft spoken and compassionate doctor but the treatment plan will be carried out slowly. The embryologist uses outdated equipment and it shows in the live birth rate. If you’re over 35 and trying to conceive, it is best to go where the clinic has more advanced technology to help with the actual egg retrieval and ivf procedure.
It’s a small clinic, I felt like I was just a number to them because the care that I received from staff was cold and rushed. They only do ivf 4 times a year, all monitoring appointments are clustered together. Despite the fact that they are a small clinic, during monitoring you are just a Number to them.
I don’t remember the protocol but he was conservative in his plan, I had two failed IUIs with clomid and he was planning another one when I asked about doing ivf instead.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
Clinic strength was that it was small, but weakness was their level of compassionate care. I felt like it was just me that they treated in a cold manner, maybe not. During monitoring there was a nurse named Marilu who would barely acknowledge me and harshly place the ultrasound wand in me, she would then leave, come back after I dressed and say “ you will receive an email for instructions” , she would say this while she stood at the door and not make eye contact with me. She would also be just as cold and abrupt when she drew my blood. She was the only nurse who treated me this way, other nurses were sweet, fully explain how big the follicles were, how many, and thickness of uterus lining. New patients would want to know what to expect from nursing staff so that they can be knowledgeable about the process.
Describe Michael Hickey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Hickey is a gentleman and everyone at the practice is very supportive....the technology at Dr. Hickey's practice seemed a little out of date. It was also frustrating that the IVF cycles were only done 4 times per year, and if you didn't respond quick enough to the meds it really impacted the success of the cycle...[he] started me on minimum dosage of Gonal-F and Menopur because of my age (28), and then when I was responding, they exponentially increased it throughout the stim phase.
IVF is only offered 4 times per year [at Hinsdale Center]. You may have to wait several months before you begin... the technology at Dr. Hickey's practice seemed a little out of date...Dr. Hickey's practice is very intimate. Often you feel as though you are the only patient - that is because the scheduling nurse is super cautious when scheduling patients to ensure that each appointment will be as efficient as possible. All of the nurses knew us by name and were truly supportive of our journey..
The experience was fine. Dr. Hickey is a gentleman and everyone at the practice is very supportive. Unfortunately, we did not find success under his care. After switching to a second doctor, we did come to realize that the technology at Dr. Hickey's practice seemed a little out of date. It was also frustrating that the IVF cycles were only done 4 times per year, and if you didn't respond quick enough to the meds it really impacted the success of the cycle (not to mention the emotional toll of worrying and stress).
IVF is only offered 4 times per year. You may have to wait several months before you begin.
Dr. Hickey's practice is very intimate. Often you feel as though you are the only patient - that is because the scheduling nurse is super cautious when scheduling patients to ensure that each appointment will be as efficient as possible. All of the nurses knew us by name and were truly supportive of our journey, even though it did not end up working out at this practice.
I took birth control the month before. They started me on minimum dosage of Gonal-F and Menopur because of my age (28), and then when I was responding, they exponentially increased it throughout the stim phase. This treatment was not successful for me.
They are wonderful. Very supportive and kind.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
Strengths - you feel like you are they only patient and that is nice. Weaknesses - technology is outdated, IVF is only offered 4 times per year, stressful timing
There were several out of pocket costs, even though Dr. Hickey was considered in network. Meds and treatment cost approx $8000 even though we were supposedly "fully covered" by our insurance with this practice.
Hinsdale

Terrible experience. He [Dr. Michael Hickey] didn't seem to have a clue about what my real problem was and hardly provided any treatment. He suggested IUI with no chlomid and I was already of advanced age. He said it was my husband's sperm that was the problem. My husband had normal sperm.... It was only after going to two other doctors, after wasting 3 months here, that I learned I had diminished ovarian reserve and should not waste more time doing IUIs. This doctor only prescreibed IUI with no meds.
It [Hinsdale Center for Reproductive Medicine] is really terrible. There is no sense of urgency or even the ability to understand why a woman over 35 can't get pregnant. The diagnostics were awful too. My FSH was super high and they didn't even address it.... I got no information from nurses. One was actually very rude to me. The others didn't seem to know anything.
Terrible experience. He didn't seem to have a clue about what my real problem was and hardly provided any treatment. He suggested IUI with no chlomid and I was already of advanced age. He said it was my husband's sperm that was the problem. My husband had normal sperm. I'm not even sure he does IVF. We would've never had anything happen if we stayed there.
Don't go.
This clinic is really terrible. The doctor acts like he knows what he was talking about but he does not. The nurses are not much better. There are hardly any patients from what I could tell so I was not treated like a number, but that was the only positive.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
It is really terrible. There is no sense of urgency or even the ability to understand why a woman over 35 can't get pregnant. The diagnostics were awful too. My FSH was super high and they didn't even address it.
What specific things went wrong at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
They did not know what they were talking about. It was only after going to two other doctors, after wasting 3 months here, that I learned I had diminished ovarian reserve and should not waste more time doing IUIs. This doctor only prescreibed IUI with no meds.