6.9

USC

Michael Hickey works at

121 North Elm Street
Hinsdale, IL 60521

Dr. Hickey is friendly and made us feel at ease. Dr. Hickey did a great job of explaining the procedures we were going to be doing. He answered all of our questions. When he did perform certain tests he was thorough and explained everything in an easy to understand manner. We are hopeful that we will have success with Dr. Hickey as we move to IVF.... Dr. Hickey then started us off with 100 mg of Clomid - we tried 2 months without IUI. When then moved to 100mg of Clomid with IUI.
How was your experience with Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
Make sure that you discuss prices right away. Dr. Hickey can be very accommodating with helping out with the cost of procedures.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction?
All of the office staff know us and greet us by name. When I call the office they are very friendly. They sometimes know my results without my charts in front of them.
Describe the protocols Michael Hickey used in your cycles at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction and their degree of success.
I had an HSG with another doctor 4 months before seeing Dr. Hickey to unblock my tubes. Dr. Hickey then started us off with 100 mg of Clomid - we tried 2 months without IUI. When then moved to 100mg of Clomid with IUI. The IUI procedure was performed in October 2016 but that did not result in a pregnancy. Dr. Hickey said we would try 4 IUIs and then move to IVF. During the next 2 months I ovulated too early and the IUIs could not be performed. After that Dr. Hickey recommended we move to IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
The nursing staff has all been very friendly and helpful. Sally has been very informative and comforting as we start our IVF process. Victoria is great at drawing my blood quickly without it hurting. All the sonogram technicians have been supportive, especially Sarah who also performed our IUI.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
I like that the clinic is very small. I am often the only person in the waiting room, which definitely helps me feel more like a patient and not a number. The main reason we moved to this clinic was the lower prices for many of the procedures. One weakness would be that we have not seen the doctor as much as we would like but now that we are moving to IVF we have seen him more. Another concern I have is that IVF is only performed every 3 months due to their traveling embryologist. If my first IVF procedure in April does not work, we will have to wait until July for the next one.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Hickey at Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
When we first started with Dr. Hickey, we did not have fertility coverage with our health insurance. The office manager was able to code our procedures so that we were paying around $80 for blood work and an ultrasound each month. Our IUI procedure was $600. We have not received billing yet for our IVF yet but we were informed the cost would be around $19,000, but we have second insurance now, so it will be less.
Michael Hickey
Hinsdale
[Hinsdale Center for Reproduction] was clean, quiet, I suppose all that you’d want. You don’t spend too much time in there, visits are quick...They are very organized and Victoria is the saint behind all the paperwork im convinced. They work like a well oiled machine there, so there isn’t too much to say...The nursing staff is excellent here. There are some that hold a special place in my heart just because they went above and beyond caring for me.
Doctor Michael Hickey is a very intelligent and sensitive doctor. He listens to you very attentively and makes a structured plan to fit your needs. He had excellent bedside manner as well. As a patient I felt like I was in good hands and looked out for. I never felt dismissed or like I was a bother, which to me was important. I wanted to be heard about my concerns, I feel I was.
In my personal opinion my advice would be to speak up more. If you do not want to go a certain route, voice that. Because you could agree to protocol and a plan and as time is elapsing, you’re thinking maybe that was not the plan you wanted to go. Speak up about your concerns and advocate for yourself. You have nothing to lose but someone saying no. Your doctor and care will always be your choice. Not every doctor is a perfect to each patient.
Nurses and staff treated me kind and fairly. Calm and professional environment.
Without going too much in depth of my personal cycles, I can give some vague examples. Dr Hickey likes to move slowly, at least that was my case. Medications start off low and slow which I cant complain because that is a safety measure. I respected how I was monitored closely. When 2 of the IUIs had failed, Dr Hickey suggested we do a surgery so he could have eyes on what was happening inside my body. I was glad to see him investing in my case and attempting different ways of obtaining the objective.
The nursing staff is excellent here. There are some that hold a special place in my heart just because they went above and beyond caring for me. Sally, you’re a gem. I still talk about you to this day. From the kind gestures on each call you had to give me not so good news, or just being extra gentle with my blood draws, you were so kind to me. I really never had any negative experiences with anyone in particular. Just a friendly piece of advice, try to be kind. Us patients know you’re human too and have bad days, but please just try to be kind.
Describe your experience with Hinsdale Center for Reproduction.
The clinic itself was clean, quiet, I suppose all that you’d want. You don’t spend too much time in there, visits are quick. Turnaround times always seemed fast paced. Bring some reading material just so when you do check in and wait for the short time, you have something to keep occupied. Be organized with your insurance, calendar for appt days, stay on top of balances owed. They are very organized and Victoria is the saint behind all the paperwork im convinced. They work like a well oiled machine there, so there isn’t too much to say.
I remember the medications were a pain. I didn’t have much help with finding affordable solutions for pricey meds. I was frantic most the time trying to order the correct medication at a discounted rate, wondering if I would receive on time. It would be nice if the clinic helped in any way to advocate with you to retrieve the correct medications needed. Medication costs were also a reason we didn’t proceed with IVF at that time.
Michael Hickey