Medical SchoolCase Western
Miami, FL 33176
Miami Beach
4308 Alton Rd
Miami Beach, Fl 33140
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Jacobs to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility & IVF Center of Miami to a friend?
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological, Unexplained
Dr. Michael Jacobs highly recommended we move straight to IVF treatments but because we were facing financial challenges paying for the treatment he then offered to start us off on IUI treatments which were much less costly to see if that would work for us. He set our expectation low for this. Just like he predicted, we did two IUI treatments and neither of them worked.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
Dr. Michael Jacobs was the first doctor we saw in our fertility process. He was patient and listened and tried to answer our many questions. He gave us a realistic view of what was going to happen and helped us set a path forward for our treatment. It was great to have the face to face/one on one time with the doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
Make sure you plan all of your questions in advance. You need to get all of your questions answered and you won't have many opportunities to sit with the doctor one on one.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
We were new to the fertility process. We were nervous and didn't know much. Dr. Jacobs spent plenty of time talking with me and my husband about the process and managing our expectations. He took into our account our financial challenges. He listened
Describe the protocols Michael Jacobs used in your cycles at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami and their degree of success.
I was not assigned a specific nurse but every time I went in for treatment or bloodwork or an ultrasound, the nurses were very kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
Fertility and IVF Miami was very easy to work with. I was able to get my routine bloodwork and ultrasounds before work. I was able to get the appointment times I needed. You are not assigned a particular nurse so if you have questions, you have to call into the clinic and one of the nurses will get back to you. You never know which nurse will call. There was also a lot of turnover with the nurses so a lot of times I was seeing a new nurse. Although all of the nurses were very good.
Miami
Dr. Jacobs has a very serious demeanor and a very dry personality but he will always have your best interests at heart. He is very conservative with his protocols and will always take the path with less risks. He was very thorough with his treatment plans. He did not perform any of my IUIs but did every ultrasound for my second egg retrieval and performed the actual egg retrieval. He also performed the frozen embryo transfer as well. He was easily accessible if you needed to reach out to him.
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
He will always have your best interests at heart and work towards getting you to achieve your goal in a conservative fashion.
Dr. Jacobs would always take the time you needed when explaining something to you but he wouldn’t remember your file and often have to refer to it during his conversation. I often felt like he had a script that he would share with all patients. He was very thorough and conservative which I appreciated.
I did 3 IUIs with 100mg of clomid during CD3-7 and then triggered with Ovidrel. The IUI would always occur 36 hours after the trigger and he would recommend a single IUI unless he couldn’t confirm if you ovulated prior to the IUI. My first egg retrieval was 8 days of stims with 225 UI of Gonal F and 1 vial of Menopur per day. I started Cetrotide on day 5. I used Novarel for my trigger shot and was able to start my egg retrieval protocol within days of my failed IUI. I had 8 eggs retrieved, 6 were mature, 4 fertilized with ICSI and 2 were frozen on day 5 and sent for PGS testing. They both came back abnormal. I had to go on birth control for a minimum of 18 days before being about to start the frozen embryo transfer once I got my period. For my second egg retrieval I used 200 UI of Gonal F each night along with 1 vial of Menopur. I started Cetrotide once I had a folical that was at least 13mm. I stimmed for 11 days and used Novarel as my trigger shot. I got 11 eggs, all 11 were mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, 2 blasts were frozen on days 5 and 6 and only 1 was PGS normal. We did a frozen embryo transfer with our 1 PGS normal embryo.
The nursing staff was amazing. I saw them way more often than I saw Dr. Jacobs and grew a fondness for them early on. They started to feel more like family as I would visit them daily depending on my procedure at the time. They were very attentive, compassionate and caring. I still go back and visit them from time to time.
Describe your experience with Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
The clinic doesn’t have a support group the way Another large fertility clinic in the area does which makes it more difficult to find people who are going through the same thing you are. The staff is very friendly and helpful but you will see multiple nurses and doctors throughout this process depending on what treatments you have done.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
The clinic was always able to schedule my ultrasound appointments with very little notice. They would usually run on time and the wait time was always reasonable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
Yes. The IUI payment structure was very transparent. Each ultrasound had a separate costs from the IUI. The total amount for the IUI would depend on the number of ultrasounds. For IVF there were 2 options, 1 single egg retrieval, or a package with 3 egg retrivals and unlimited transfer within a 1 year period. There was a minimal difference between the two packages.
Miami
I think he [Dr. Michael Jacobs] is very set in his own ways. Being diagnosed with unexplained infertility I felt like it was a shot in the dark trying to figure out how to get me pregnant. It was a struggle in the beginning to feel like I was being heard. However we are on the same plan for IVF in the event that IUI doesn't work.
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
I think he is very set in his own ways. Being diagnosed with unexplained infertility I felt like it was a shot in the dark trying to figure out how to get me pregnant. It was a struggle in the beginning to feel like I was being heard. However we are on the same plan for IVF in the event that IUI doesn't work.
Hold your ground. Don't let them push you into something you don't want. Always question the overages that you're paying.
The nurses do all the ultrasounds, blood work and procedures for a medicated IUI. Every visit I see a different nurse and every visit I have to explain my story again to them since my treatment is different from the norm.
I am diagnosed with unexplained infertility. I take clomid 100mg from CD3-7 then have my check up on CD11 and trigger with Ovidrel. Once I do my IUI I start on 50mg progesterone suppositories that I take twice a day. This is the least invasive method. For this reason we started on this path.
Every nurse we have come across has been great. I wish they would introduce themselves when they walk in. I also wish they would check my file beforehand to get to know me a little.
Describe your experience with Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
The main reason I am at this clinic is for convenience. It is 5 minutes from our house and my office which makes the multiple appointments less stressful. I wish they had a better support group like some of the other clinics in Miami.
Each ultrasound is $355. It's an additional $20 to visit on the weekend. The IUI is $535 and $400 for a second IUI. Ovidrel is $99 and progesterone suppositories are $68. Clomid is $5
Describe Michael Jacobs's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
My husband and I would prefer to transfer 2 embryos if we have enough. The doctor only recommends one. We are paying out of pocket so we want to maximize our chances of success.
Miami
Dr. Jacobs did seem like he was giving genuine advice during consultations, saying things like "if this were my wife or my daughter, this is what I would recommend". However, during the actual cycle process, it felt much more like a factory, like we were getting the same protocol for treatment as everyone else.... He took his time when we were able to see him, and he explained things in detail. He was not the one to perform the IUIs or any other parts of the procedures, and we didn't really see him that much other than initial consultations.
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
Dr. Jacobs was very nice and very professional. He ordered all the baseline testing and ruled out any diagnosable issue (hence unexplained infertility). He took his time when we were able to see him, and he explained things in detail. He was not the one to perform the IUIs or any other parts of the procedures, and we didn't really see him that much other than initial consultations.
Don't expect him to be doing your IUI. Ask about other approaches to IUI (other than Clomid).
On the first cycle I used Clomid, 100 (2 pills) for 5 days. I responded very sensitively and produced I believe 4 or 5 mature follicles. They (nurses) did the insemination anyway but no pregnancy occurred. The second round he cut the dose of Clomid in half, and I still produced like 2 or 3 mature follicles. We did two inseminations back to back after the ovulation trigger shot, but no pregnancy.
The nursing staff was good overall. I don't remember having any issues with them, other than the fact that they were the ones performing the IUIs. Both times they had trouble inserting the catheter into the uterus, but then again, the following doctor had trouble with that as well.
Describe your experience with Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
Strengths: two offices in two different locations (Miami Beach and Kendall), very convenient; quite efficient; nice nurses Weakness: because they're a big clinic, it didn't feel very personalized at times.
Insemination ~$500 each, meds were 200-300 each cycle, I think.
2013 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr. Jacobs is a genius, there is no doubt about that. He is the founder of his clinic and clearly knows what he is talking about. However, he is not warm and fuzzy, if that is what you are looking for.... I just felt that until he reviewed my chart, he had no clue who I was each time I sat in front of him.... That he is very matter of fact, and gets straight to the point... For all of my IUI's the treatment stayed the same. Half way through my IVF when we were trying to produce more eggs he upped my medication.
2013 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
That he is very matter of fact, and gets straight to the point.
The nursing staff is exceptional both at the Miami office and the Miami Beach office. They always return your call and answer all questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
It is great that there are multiple offices to this clinic. The nursing staff is exceptional. The wait is not long, they are generally on time will all appointments.
Almost all of my costs were out of pocket. Simple blood work was covered by insurance
What specific things went wrong at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
2011 - 2012
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Jacobs was very blunt with sensitive medical information and about what needed to be done. I appreciated being told the truth and our options up front. He was sympathetic....[The staff at Fertility and IVF Center of Miami] are extremely organized. They have an online system that tells you absolutely everything you need to know. The nursing staff always knows what is going on.
2011 - 2012
European, Latino
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
He is very blunt and very detailed in giving information. He will tell you exactly what you need to know and is a great, very smart Doctor.
Don't expect him to be very warm and sympathetic.
This was a few years ago, I can't remember details like this.
They are extremely organized. They have an online system that tells you absolutely everything you need to know. The nursing staff always knows what is going on.
Describe your experience with Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
Warm and inviting, very clean. Expensive:
They gave me a window and I would go in at that time and be seen fairly quickly
Nothing was covered by our insurance so everything was ot of pocket and very expensive
Male Factor, Other
From my experience, he [Dr Michael Jacobs] is very thorough and doesn't waste your time. He asks for input and helps with strategy...Staff [at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami] is very friendly. Office is warm and inviting. Dr. Jacobs is kind, gentle explains very well...3 fte cycles for $23k+. Meds are approximately $4-6k. PGD is approximately $2500. Plus copayment
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
From my experience, he is very thorough and doesn't waste your time. He asks for input and helps with strategy.
Don't over think things. It is a long road so just concentrate on the task in front of you.
Staff is very friendly. Office is warm and inviting. Dr. Jacobs is kind, gentle explains very well.
I am in beginning stage so no in put here, yet.
Friendly and knowledgeable
Describe your experience with Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
I'm too new to know yet.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
[Dr Michael Jacobs] always communicated exactly where we were in process. Always optimistic of positive result....Kind. Trustworthy. Realistic while always staying hopeful of positive result...Started with IUI. Then several rounds of retrieved eggs/embryos. Then donor eggs/embryos created successful pregnancy.
2013 - 2015
1 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
Kind. Trustworthy. Realistic while always staying hopeful of positive result.
You need to stay on top of the office, but Dr Jacobs will always spend the time making sure you are comfortable.
Always communicated exactly where we were in process. Always optimistic of positive result.
Great staff. Very busy office so you need to stay on top of them. Weekends/holidays...there was always someone available to us.
IUI around $8K. IVF cycles were $25K for 2 cycles. Donor egg transfer around the same. About $5-8K per cycle in meds from South Miami Pharmacy.
Miami Beach
2012
Dr Jacobs was a great match for us. I liked his calm demeanor and how he explained everything. I felt very positive about his approach to our case. He even came to visit our son in the nicu after he was born... We did a round of clomid along with progesterone suppositories and an Ovidril booster shot... Great location and facility is high end and professional
2012
How was your experience with Michael Jacobs at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?
Ask lots of questions and even take notes during any appointments
Dr Jacobs always took the time to explain things throughly. Answered all our questions and was very upfront and honest
Always organized and polite. Answered any questions
Describe your experience with Fertility & IVF Center of Miami.
Great location and facility is high end and professional
A lot of our fees were covered by insurance. Out of pocket was minor
What specific things went wrong at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami?