Medical SchoolU. of Arizona
San Diego, CA 92108
Temecula
44274 George Cushman Court
Temecula, CA 92592
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Kettel to a friend?

5.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend San Diego Fertility Center to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Kettle is great. We were an unexpected challenging case and I don’t think he was prepared for our results. Therefore we did not see our poor response to treatment as an option. He got more honest and realistic with us as we progressed. ... he just increased my dose to double. We are starting a third round using a micro flare protocol that involves lupron twice a day as well as gonal and menopur.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Know that you will develop a better relationship with nurses since they do the primary day to day care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
I didn’t see Dr Kettle at all my appts but I would see the nurses in the Mission Valley office and they are so lovely, kind and caring.
Describe the protocols Michael Kettel used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
For our 2 IUIs we did clomid. For our first 2 Egg retrieval’s we did an antagonist protocol with menopur and gonal and cetritide. Round 2 he just increased my dose to double. We are starting a third round using a micro flare protocol that involves lupron twice a day as well as gonal and menopur.
I see Megan and Danielle. Both are amazing and caring. They have helped me through the worst days of my life. I’m so grateful for their care.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The Del Mar clinic is large and busy and can be very chaotic. I prefer to go to the Mission Valley clinic. It’s more intimate and I feel like a human not like a number. The nurses I see provide such exceptional care. Because I see them so often I sometimes forget about Dr Kettle. I know he’s working behind the scenes but sometimes it’s odd to go long times without checking in. On the other hand I feel so comfortable with the nurses it makes it tolerable. If seeing a doctor at every appt is important to you, this clinic wouldn’t be right for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center.
Each egg retrieval was around $13,000 not including medications. We have done 2 and are starting a 3rd
Describe Michael Kettel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
We have one PGS tested normal so it isn’t really an option but if we get a second he would allow 2.
SD - Carmel Valley

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center.

2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
I honestly can’t say anything about him. ... He is not very present and seems to rely on his nursing staff to do most, of not all, of his communications. ... I can’t even tell you what he looked like, aside from seeing his picture on the website. We loved out of town and traveled for treatment, but even when I went for my transfer, he did not perform my transfer. ... I never met Dr. Kettle. I spoke with him one time on the phone during the year we were patients there. When speaking with his nurse, I felt like I had to consistently remind her of who I was and what I was doing there.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
I honestly can’t say anything about him. I can’t even tell you what he looked like, aside from seeing his picture on the website. We loved out of town and traveled for treatment, but even when I went for my transfer, he did not perform my transfer. Another doctor, who was perfectly lovely, did the procedure.
Be prepared to stay on top of your own case. He is not very present and seems to rely on his nursing staff to do most, of not all, of his communications.
I never met Dr. Kettle. I spoke with him one time on the phone during the year we were patients there. When speaking with his nurse, I felt like I had to consistently remind her of who I was and what I was doing there. I had to ask the same question multiple times before getting an answer.
I used donor eggs, so this question doesn’t really apply to me. I was not given information on how they adjusted and chose the protocol given to my donor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Hillary)
She honestly did not seem very smart. However, I met and dealt with other nurses at the clinic who were fantastic. I think I just got placed with someone who was extremely frustrating to deal with.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The staff, especially the donor coordinator, were amazing. The donor coordinator is the reason we initially became patients at the clinic and she continued to be excellent to work with throughout our time there. We had a pretty big issue come up regarding our donor, and she personally called us and worked with us to make sure we were okay with the outcome of future cycles.
The total cost was approximately $40,000 for one donor egg cycle. That included a $8,000 compensation fee for the donor. The rest was for her medications and egg retrieval, as well as my medications and transfer.
He left the decision up to us, but it wasn’t ever really a discussion because we were using donor eggs and knew we did not want to risk the possibility of twins.
What specific things went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center?

7 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
He [Dr. Kettel] was immediately warm and friendly and unimposed by our questions and fears! It felt like we were his only patient!On a day where we were full of anxiety and excitement at the same time, the day of our transfer, he was unbelievably kind and warm! For example, he knew that we had never gotten as far as an embryo transfer due to my egg quality, and immediately following the transfer of the embryo, he looked in my eyes and very sincerely said congratulations! I cried of course! He made it very personal like he understood!...
7 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Go in with high expectations because they will be met!
This doctor was Honestly unlike any doctor we have ever Matt especially in the infertility world! He was immediately warm and friendly and unimposed by our questions and fears! It felt like we were his only patient!
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Miller)
You could tell that the kindness and warmth really trickle down from the doctors to the staff! But as most people know the person you have contact with on a regular basis is your nurse. She was amazing! For example in her communication with me she often took time to acknowledge my fears and reassure me! This is definitely not been the case with most of my clinics that we're mostly sterile and their communication as if I was a checklist. Then when we finally got the results of a positive pregnancy through blood work results, she encouraged me to take a pregnancy test. I asked her why since I knew the blood test was superior. She said because I deserved to see a positive sign! Wow! I'll never forget that! She was so sweet! I took a picture of the positive test an emailed it to her thanking her for encouraging me to do that!
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Frankie, is the name of the person who answers the phone sometimes. She is so sweet! Whenever I told her who was whether she remembered or not she acted like she remembered who I was and was so kind and made me laugh! I never felt rushed with any of their staff! My husband and I were blown away on our first visit that they scheduled us to meet with the manager of each department that would be handling our treatment. We had never met with an embryologist before! She answered all her questions like how do you store the leftover embryos. Before she left the room she sincerely said that she was going to take really good care of us and our embryos! I believed her! And they did!
They were very discreet and professional
SD - Carmel Valley

Dr Kettel took the time to review my case and clearly considered my specific situation when giving his recommendations.... He gave me a thorough exam and consultation for our subsequent FET cycle, and was very amenable to working with my old clinic where my remaining embryos are located. I have only been there twice (once to see Dr Kettel and once for an SHG, which a tech did), but the clinic is really on the ball and great with communication.
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
I came to SDFC as a new patient after having my first IVF baby at another clinic across the country and then moving to San Diego. My former RE recommended Dr Kettel, and I have been pleased with him and SDFC so far. He gave me a thorough exam and consultation for our subsequent FET cycle, and was very amenable to working with my old clinic where my remaining embryos are located. I have only been there twice (once to see Dr Kettel and once for an SHG, which a tech did), but the clinic is really on the ball and great with communication.
Have a list of questions ready to ask him.
We have not done a cycle yet, but he agreed to do whatever my former clinic wants, which is estrogen patches and crinone gel for a FET cycle.
Everyone at SDFC has been great!
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
The clinic is clean and beautiful, the staff are friendly, and their communication is great. They have gotten me into appointments really quickly and respond to emails and phone calls right away. I have not had any issues with anyone at this clinic so far.
I have only had two appointments - the appointment with Dr Kettel was a $50 copay, and my SHG was around $300.
We would only ever do eSET with our PGS tested embryos, so I did not have this discussion with Dr Kettel.

2006 - 2011
IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Doctor cared about me and my future children. Goal was to get pregnant and as as patient, I was willing to do whatever it took to get there. Doctor was very transparent...Dr. Kettel started with not as intensive treatments but adjusted protocol as needed based on results and age...Tammy was my saving grace. She brought the reality into the picture and was very compassionate and caring.
2006 - 2011
IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Doctor is pioneer, experienced with excellent results. Doctor has a great team of staff to assist every step of the way, who are excellent caregivers. SD Fertility Center is the only place I would go, they know me and the best care to achieve results.
Dr. Michael Kettel has great outcomes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Tammy)
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Very pleasant, organized with appointments, accessible when needed, very caring and treated patients with great confidentiality. I felt the staff genuinely cared about me and my future children and were great cheerleaders. I felt like they were family.
I was always provided a quote for expected treatment. They contacted insurance company as needed. Offered several options for payment. At times, did not keep track of billing and notify in a timely manner what was owed.
Dr. Kettel discussed strategies when it came time to decide on multiple embryos. Very open and honest.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr Kettle is very detailed oriented and professional. I would recommend him to anyone. He explains all issues to you so it may be easy to understand. He makes sure to address all questions and concerns. He has amazing follow up. He is an excellent listener.... Dr. Kettle was interested in my background and gave me a thorough explanation of my diagnosis. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr Kettle is a professional and truly cares for his patients
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Annette )
Annette was the most amamzing nurse. She has the best follow up and will always try to find the answer. I love her!
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
This is by far the best clinic in San Diego. Great follow up and follow through. They have the best nurses and staff. The seminars are so informative. The facility if very high tech, clean, and modern.
Costs of pgs labs retrieval and transfer. Plus meds.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
We were always treated with respect and never given false hope. Dr. Kettel always took the time to explain things to us, even multiple times if needed. He was very realistic about our chances and let us know what our options were at all times.... Dr. Kettel used a fairly aggressive dose of medication due to my age. He opted in most cycles to freeze all then transfer.... In the beginning we only transferred two, as Dr. Kettel was conservative. Last few cycles we transferred 3 or 4 each time.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
I would tell anyone going through fertility treatments that it may take more than one cycle to produce a baby.
Dr. Kettel always took the time to answer our questions and explained things thoroughly.
Dr. Kettel used a fairly aggressive dose of medication due to my age. He opted in most cycles to freeze all then transfer. I also required anesthesia for all transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Annette)
Annette was wonderful .
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Clinic staff was wonderful amd they always had flexible appointments available. The PA Kristin was amazing and so down to earth. Del Mar Surgert Center was also very good. Overall I felt this was a great place to receive treatment even before i was able to get pregnant.
I had some insurance coverage but had to pay out of pocket too
2009 - 2014
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Doctor would call and do my consults by phone since I had over a 2 hour drive to his office
2009 - 2014
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
He had great bedside manner. Seemed to genuinely care about helping us become parents.
It's normal once treatment starts that you no longer see the dr at each visit.... Which is fine because the staff are awesome and knowledgeable
They always greeted me by my name when I walked in and we're all friendly. Doctor would call and do my consults by phone since I hD over a 2 hour drive to his office
Aggressive protocol due to being age 42. Used Bravelle and Menopure twice a day
She was efficient and had a great personality
We did a program they had where I could do two cycles using my own eggs then transfer to a guaranteed donor egg cycle. It seems like it ended up being approximately 50k
Temecula

IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I could not be happier with my care by Dr. Kettel. He is warm, compassionate, and honest. He has a great bedside manner and is extremely intelligent. I trust him 100% and highly recommend him!
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
I was always treated like one of the family! My care could not have been better at SDFC!
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cindy Christensen)
She was so warm and caring! Gave us a hug when meeting us and was so timely and open in all communication!