Michael Lanham

University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Michigan
ResidencyU. of Michigan
FellowshipU. of Michigan
Ann Arbor
475 Market Place
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
734-763-4323
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Lanham to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
10 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
I saw Michael [Lanham]for my second and third rounds of IVF (after a successful IVF cycle and birth of my son). The first cycle with him did very unexpectedly not go well at all...he was honest but encouraging throughout the process...As a single parent by choice, my insurance was not going to cover my care because they didn't think there was enough evidence I couldn't conceive naturally. I found out about this days before my retrieval was expected. Little did I know Michael had already been going to bat for me on my behalf with the insurance company.
10 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Michael Lanham at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
I saw Michael for my second and third rounds of IVF (after a successful IVF cycle and birth of my son). The first cycle with him did very unexpectedly not go well at all...he was honest but encouraging throughout the process. I didn't have anything to transfer, which was heartbreaking. There was a technical glitch that let me know this before he had a chance to call me to tell me (my appointment was automatically cancelled and I received an alert). He was very apologetic and is continually striving to do better for his patients and the clinic. Although he thought the chances of being successful were low, he let me pursue a 3rd cycle. I made it to transfer that time, but did not end up pregnant. It was heartbreaking...he was supportive and understanding. We talked about other alternatives to build my family. As a single parent by choice, my insurance was not going to cover my care because they didn't think there was enough evidence I couldn't conceive naturally. I found out about this days before my retrieval was expected. Little did I know Michael had already been going to bat for me on my behalf with the insurance company. He's a true gem and a gift to the field of reproductive medicine. Although my cycles under his direction were not successful, I would highly recommend him to anyone.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Lanham at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Be honest with him about any fears or anxieties that you have...he will let you know that you're not the only one and let you know what clinical evidence there is to support his answer. He's very easy to talk to and supportive of all family building situations, single parents, same sex parents, and heterosexual families.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Lanham at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Michael is kind, warm, and brilliant!! He took as much time as I needed in all visits. He is readily reachable and wonderful to work with and very easy to talk to. He was just as disappointed as I was when my cycles did not go as expected. He helped me with alternatives to care that they were not able to provide in their clinic and was very honest with me when he thought it would be very difficult for me to conceive given my circumstances. I would highly recommend Michael to anyone.
Describe the protocols Michael Lanham used in your cycles at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Did agonist protocol for one cycle, flare protocol for the cycle I insisted on.
There is a team of nurses at the clinic...they all know about every patient and are all involved in a cycle. They are wonderful, sweet, experienced, knowledgeable, easy to reach, encouraging, and supportive. Overall they are awesome!
Describe your experience with University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I think one of their strengths is that everyone on the team, physicians, nurses, fellows, lab folks know about every patient. They are all 100% in on your care and all know what's going on with you at any point in time. I always felt like we were all rooting for my success. That being said, if you have a great relationship with a particular provider, you may not see that person on the day of a retrieval or a transfer. There are also trainees in this clinic...med students, residents, fellows. Feel free to request they are not a part of your care or certain procedures if you don't want them there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Lanham at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I do not recall...I had insurance coverage for the two cycles that I did with Michael.
Describe Michael Lanham's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I had multiple embryos transferred every time I had a transfer because of my age and the embryo quality.
What specific things went wrong at University of Michigan Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Michael Lanham