Shady Grove Fertility

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Cape Town
ResidencyGeorge Washington
FellowshipGeorge Washington
9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Levy to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
He [Dr. Michael Levy] is so knowledgeable and it was clear from the minute we walked into his office that we were in good hands, medically. I never once wavered in his approach toward our treatment and had full faith in his ability to guide us through these murky waters. Simultaneously, my husband and I felt that he often rushed us off the phone, was not as compassionate as we had imagined he'd be, and was somewhat cavalier about our setbacks when we were visibly struggling.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is so knowledgeable and it was clear from the minute we walked into his office that we were in good hands, medically. I never once wavered in his approach toward our treatment and had full faith in his ability to guide us through these murky waters. Simultaneously, my husband and I felt that he often rushed us off the phone, was not as compassionate as we had imagined he'd be, and was somewhat cavalier about our setbacks when we were visibly struggling.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Know that you will be in very good medical care and look for other members of his team (or your own team of family and friends) to lean on for emotional support.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
There were times when Dr. Levy called me and helped me understand the process and there were other times where I felt that he could have been talking to anyone and lacked the proper bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Astorga)
She was available by phone and email and usually got back to us within 24 hours, on rare occasions, it took longer. She tried her best to explain everything she understood and managed our case as much as she was able. She answered all questions and was always friendly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a pretty well-oiled machine. There are so many women (and men) that attend the clinic daily for a multitude of reasons and all are taken care of. There were a few times when I knew that during morning monitoring I needed to follow a certain protocol, as delineated by my nurse, however it was not written in the system and they were unable to reach her because it was before 9 am. I had to turn around and go back which was an inconvenience but not the end of the world.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility.
We have spent around 40K thus far for IVF treatment (not including medication)
Describe Michael Levy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He told us that since I was under 39/40 he believed in singleton pregnancies as they are less high-risk in nature.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Levy provides the perfect mix of compassionate, high-quality care with honesty about outcomes. He really cares about his patients and seems to work hard at making sure you don't feel like just a number.... Know that most of your dealings will be with your nurse, but Dr. Levy is often available if you need to speak with him. If there's any significant news, he's the one that calls or meets with you to discuss. He doesn't sugarcoat, but he's also gentle in his honesty. He's good at doling out honesty without shooting down your hopes completely.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
Nicole is very kind and compassionate. She takes the time to answer all of your questions thoroughly and does timely follow-up.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility makes you feel like you're in good hands. We were initially planning to go with a much smaller fertility center but have been so pleased with Shady Grove. Despite the size of the practice, the staff is well-trained, there's always someone available on-site or the phone to answer questions and they consistently treat you like a person. I've interacted with a handful of doctors beyond my primary one for monitoring visits and all have been great. They do everything they can to help achieve a successful pregnancy. The nursing and sonographer team is extremely well-trained too. The one area of weakness is the Financial Department. There's lots of turnover there (we've had 4-5 different financial counselors in a year on our account), information on costs and payment options requires lots of clarifying questions and the team seems rushed and less pleasant than those on the medical side.
2014 - 2017
Dr. Levy is a wonderful doctor. I appreciate that he made time for me during the harder moments of the IVF process. He has called me from vacation and returned my calls when medication made me feel sick. He is a self-possessed doctor and balances that with compassion. I have felt heard throughout my treatment and took a lot of comfort knowing he was managing my care, even when I didn't speak with him or see him for a long duration of time.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Advocate for yourself. This process is so hard. When medications made me feel ill, when procedures felt like unnecessary torture, I let him know and he took the time to rework my protocol and make changes to make the process less miserable. When changes couldn't be made, he took the time to explain their necessity. He has many patients and is in high demand as a doctor so you really need to advocate for yourself, even if through your nurse.
Dr. Levy treats me like a patient. He has the right balance of compassion and kindness coupled with an ability to make me feel reassured along the way when I had hesitations about the process.
I've worked with 3 nurses at shady grove. I liked all of them but sometimes wonder if they are all completely overworked because it can be difficult to get in touch with them. When I had a miscarriage, I was surprised not to have more regular contact with my nurse. I don't blame her because I imagine she has a long list of clients to follow but it was noticed. There have been a few times in my treatment where shady grove felt more like a factory than a personal, attentive practice.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I went to 3 sites. I primarily went to Rockville office where the wait times are terrible. I have waited hours for monitoring and have let the staff know how unacceptable it is. I will say, in recent visits, it has shown improvement. I try to go to the K street D.C. Office when possible because it is incredibly efficient. I have also been to sibley but their carrier leaves pretty early so blood work is more challenging there.
We were fortunate to have insurance coverage (we are carriers for a genetic disease so this was for disease prevention). Still, I'm sure we have spent at least 15K between medications, copays and embryo preservation/freezing and thawing.
I appreciate that Dr. Levy uses evidenced based interventions. Single embryo is the current recommendation for someone in my position and that is what we did.
2004 - 2011
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
PCOS, Unexplained
I did not like his [Dr. Michael Levy] bedside manner- I thought he was callous and not compassionate to the emotional turmoil. However, he helped me to concieve my son (17 months of treament) and ultimately my daughter (donor egg and gestational carrier) and I will always be eternally grateful for his success. I don't think he is "nice" but I think he knows what he is doing...As the intended mother I was not always made aware of what drugs were being prescribed and timelines for procedures with my donor and my gestational carrier. This was very frustrating.
2004 - 2011
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
I did not like his bedside manner- I thought he was callous and not compassionate to the emotional turmoil. However, he helped me to concieve my son (17 months of treament) and ultimately my daughter (donor egg and gestational carrier) and I will always be eternally grateful for his success. I don't think he is "nice" but I think he knows what he is doing.
Do not expect warm and fuzzy and don't take it personally.
The whole process was very emotional and the office didn't always communicate clearly and when I called to inquire (usually about a medication or timing) I was once told "to just wait" and that he wasn't doing the transfer until HE was ready. m(He later apologized)
Describe the protocols Michael Levy used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I spent seventeen months taking clomid and metformin until my son was concieved (2002) and then used an egg donor and a gestational carrer (3 transfers with 2 separate carriers) with my daughter born in 2009. I do not remember all the drugs used for the egg retrieval and insemination.
It was very hit or miss and some were definitely more compassionate than others.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the clinic is a reflection of the doctor. Sometimes as a patient I was made to feel my questions or concerns were an inconvienience.
Insurance covered my 17 months of infertility. Egg Donor and retrieval was about $20,000 Transfers were in the $10,000 range each if I remember correctly.
2009 - 2011
8 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
I switched to Dr. Levy because I did not like his partner at the same clinic. Dr. Levy treated me like a person and I always felt like I had his undivided attention. If fact when I switched to him, I had been under the other doctors care for over a year and had had 8 IUI treatments with no success and the other doctor never stopped to ask "what is going on here?". Immediately upon beginning to see Dr. Levy he assessed me and my treatment and began to look further into why I wasn't getting pregnant which resulted in a different direction of treatment.
2009 - 2011
8 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levy is a kind, patient man. He got to know me on a personal level. At our initial meeting he came to get me from the waiting room and asked me about the book I had been reading. I felt good about him overseeing my treatment and I didn't have an easy time with anything related to fertility.
If you can get him as your doctor do so!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
I really loved my first nurse Lindsay which is why I ended up staying with my first doctor longer than I should have. Most of my dealings were with her and she was amazing. When she left Shady Grove I decided to get a new doctor as I did not like my first.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I went to this clinic for over 2.5 years and got to know everyone quite well. Everyone was very friendly, and they mostly ran on time.
I went in during monitoring hours which worked for me. I thought the techs were super nice and friendly.
IUI was about $1500 IVF was about $10,000 Donor egg (shared) was about $20,000
2013
2013
European, Other
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levy has a long track record of several decades treating patients for infertility. He is affable and personable and confident in his abilities. For those with less challenging or complex fertility issues, I believe he would be a good fit. I did not feel in our case, as we discovered we discovered we had challenges, that he was flexible or open-minded in our chances for a successful round.
He has a long history of treating patients and I believe there is something to be said for this depth of experience. However, if you discover you are a more challenging case, I would encourage exploring other doctors.
I was happy with the efficiency of the Shady Grove process, however, the waiting room area can feel very impersonal and crowded at times. With regard to our specific treatment by Dr. Levy, I thought he was very quick to jump the gun after our second failed IVF and suggest thinking about donor eggs. Not only did this seem premature to me, but it made me feel like my doctor was willing to go to bat for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jordan Blades)
Jordan was our point person for everything. She was on the ball, cheerful and genuinely wanted to see us succeed for us and not for the statistics of the clinic.
2009 - 2012
12 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
I felt that Dr. Levy knew who we were but that the staff did not. [He was] very professional, very reassuring and I felt very comfortable....He adjusted the day to return for the IUI of the blastocyst - and came in on weekend. [Cost of treatment was] expensive because insurance did not cover the costs.
2009 - 2012
12 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very professional, very reassuring and I felt very comfortable.
You are in good hands.
I felt that Dr. Levy knew who we were but that the staff did not.
Expensive because insurance did not cover the costs.
2003 - 2010
Extraordinary physician [Michael Levy] who is medically excellent and emotionally intelligent....He focused on medical, emotional and financial aspects of care and conveyed warmth and hope....You will love him.
2003 - 2010
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Extraordinary physician who is medically excellent and emotionally intelligent.
You will love him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kathy bugge)
My nurse felt like a partner. She cared as much about our outcome as we did.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Cheerful, friendly, energetic, organized, efficient. Well run.
It was mostly covered by insurance