Medical SchoolOhio St
ResidencyJohns Hopkins
FellowshipOhio St
41000 Woodward Avenue
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Mersol-Barg to a friend?

5.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michigan Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
2019 - 2020
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I had brought a full list of questions & things from my history I wanted to go over & he [Dr. Mersol-Barg] didn’t really take the time to listen, we were kind of shuffled off to the NP after he said everything he wanted to say. He also didn’t leave any room for variation. It seemed like he uses the same protocol on every PCOS patient...It felt kind of like “herd treating” instead of individualized care...There were multiple times in my cycle when I brought up concerns or adjustments I wanted made & they were ignored by the doctor. The protocol was to do 3 medicated cycles w/ trigger shot & times intercourse then move to IUI/IVF from there if needed. After the 1st cycle faile
Our protocol [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] was to try 3 rounds of monitored, medicated cycles with a trigger shot & timed intercourse...I thought the nursing staff were very efficient & kind...I believe when all said & done we spent close to $1,500-$2,000 total for 1 round of medicated, monitored cycle w/ trigger shot. That’s including our initial consultation which I believe was around $250...The clinic is very nice. It is clean, up to date, ran well by the office staff. The nurses, ultrsound techs, & people who draw blood are all very friendly for the most part. The front desk workers seemed kind most of the time but I did have not so good experiences with the finance team upon checkout after my appointments once or twice. Sometimes they just seemed moody.
2019 - 2020
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine?
I feel like Dr. Mersol-Barg was kind, patient & personable. I also love how he has a support group open to patients in his office or not & that he attends every one. With that being said, out initial consultation was really led by him with what seemed like a routinely rehearsed “skit” of what he tells every patient for treatment if he believes they have PCOS. This entailed a lot of reading, talking, & watching of videos. I had brought a full list of questions & things from my history I wanted to go over & he didn’t really take the time to listen, we were kind of shuffled off to the NP after he said everything he wanted to say. He also didn’t leave any room for variation. It seemed like he uses the same protocol on every PCOS patient. I also noticed that in the support groups I would attend, everyone suspected of PCOS was immediately put on Metformin & had adverse effects from it. It felt kind of like “herd treating” instead of individualized care. There were multiple times in my cycle when I brought up concerns or adjustments I wanted made & they were ignored by the doctor. The protocol was to do 3 medicated cycles w/ trigger shot & times intercourse then move to IUI/IVF from there if needed. After the 1st cycle failed & I didn’t feel like I was being heard, we decided not to move forward with this doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine?
He’s nice & a little quirky. He does do a decent job of putting your mind at ease. His office runs well & is usually on time which is nice. I would probably highly recommend this doctor to people who have more routine, straight forward infertility who may not need as much tweaking & interventions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine?
I felt like all of the staff at MI Reproductive Medicine, aside from a few front desk workers & 1 ultrasound tech did a great job of making me feel comfortable & more like a human than a number.
Describe the protocols Michael Mersol-Barg used in your cycles at Michigan Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Our protocol was to try 3 rounds of monitored, medicated cycles with a trigger shot & timed intercourse. I used 7.5mg of Letrozole CD 3-7 & had bloodwork & ultrasound monitoring to check follicular development & uterine lining anywhere from every 2-3 days. After 3 medicated cycles, our plan was to move onto IVF as they didn’t think IUI would help us very much due to my husband having good sperm. I also had a saline sonohysterogram done prior to starting 1st medicated cycles to check uterus & if tubes were open. Husband has a sperm analysis done. Everything came back normal.
I thought the nursing staff were very efficient & kind. Also, there was a younger, pregnant ultrasound tech (can’t remember her name) who I would pray I had each appointment because she was so good, thorough, & would explain results to me. The other tech barely spoke.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I believe when all said & done we spent close to $1,500-$2,000 total for 1 round of medicated, monitored cycle w/ trigger shot. That’s including our initial consultation which I believe was around $250. After that, medication came to around $100 total & every monitoring / bloodwork appointment cost between $60-$80 & we had a lot of those. Plus, my SHG & Husband’s SA which probably totaled around $300-$350..
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
My prolactin & thyroid levels were coming back a little higher than they should have been for while trying to conceive & the doctor & NP’s really didn’t seem too concerned. When my 1st cycle failed, I felt like that could have been a contributing factor & would have liked to at least had my levels investigated more & possibly be put on low dose medication to treat prolactin and/or TSH levels.

2020
He [Dr. Michael Mersol- Barg] was very clear on the process and expectations...did elaborate where necessary... He was funny and approachable. He made the whole plan seem realistic and attainable. He never talked down to us, but instead throughly covered material in away that helped us understand and asked us if we had questions along the way. He even did blood work a previous infertility doctor didn’t bother to check that could have directly affected my future pregnancy. He’s very personable, thorough, and makes you feel comfortable like you belong there. As part of the LGBTQ+ community, this isn’t always our experience other places but he absolutely made us feel at home in his office and at his practice.
The nursing staff [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] is great COVID-19 and stay at home orders occurred right before my first cycle but they’ve communicated with us as I call asking for more information...Communication is great! The nurse Jan calls back and is helpful. Everyone we’ve had contact with has answered our questions or had someone call us back if they were unsure of an answer. We are very pleased with the clinics staff...
2020
We have only seen him for a consultation. He was funny and approachable. He made the whole plan seem realistic and attainable. He never talked down to us, but instead throughly covered material in away that helped us understand and asked us if we had questions along the way. He even did blood work a previous infertility doctor didn’t bother to check that could have directly affected my future pregnancy. He’s very personable, thorough, and makes you feel comfortable like you belong there. As part of the LGBTQ+ community, this isn’t always our experience other places but he absolutely made us feel at home in his office and at his practice.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions because he will give it to you straight and explain it in a way that makes you glad you asked.
He was very clear on the process and expectations. He did not treat us as we were u educated, but did elaborate where necessary. And to speak to his character, during our consultation there was a fire alarm and it was probably in the 30’s. I hadn’t grabbed my coat and he gave me his as we stood outside. He then had me and my wife step aside from the group and continued our consultation in a way that was still so comfortable and straightforward as to not waste our time even during an unpredictable inconvenience.
We’ve only had a consultation but the plan is to do an SIS procedure first due to me having a ruptured appendix in childhood. A week before my procedure they will have me take an antibiotic to prepare just to be cautious so no infection occurs. The SIS procedure is to ensure there is no extra tissue surrounding my reproductive system, hindering an egg traveling to my uterus for insemination. I’m married to a woman and I am a woman so we will be using donor sperm. He gave us lists of banks they use but did not pressure us to use one over the other. After the SIS procedure we will determine if there is any additional testing needed. If all is well, we will do a mock insemination to measure the length of my uterus so the actual insemination will go smoothly. During an insemination cycle, they will have me cal as soon as my LH strip has any change, have me come in and do an insemination and then do another insemination within 48 hours. This gives optimal opportunities for the speed to meet the egg. If after 3 cycles there is no pregnancy, then he said we w I led consider using Clomid or other hormone medicine. I am 27 years old and have never gone through with an insemination so we just want to give my body the ability to have a pregnancy and ovulate naturally before using any medicine.
The nursing staff is great COVID-19 and stay at home orders occurred right before my first cycle but they’ve communicated with us as I call asking for more information.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
We haven’t had to pay much beside $25 for some blood work. Each cycle will be roughly $2500
Describe Michael Mersol-Barg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Bloomfield Hills

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
[Dr. Mersol-Barg] Recommend only transferring one [embryo]...He read through the files that were sent over before the consult. Had a good explanation on all the tests being done. We never felt rushed, he always asked if we had any questions. Can tell he genuinely cares...We had our first consult and left with so much (good) information...Once we had our diagnosis he gave us options and once we picked we had a plan. He made us felt at ease going through this process.
Monitoring appointments were around $200 [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine]. They did give a sheet of breakdown of costs then my insurance did cover some things so I had an idea of costs before I showed up...They have a portal for communication which is nice but sometimes it might be nice for a call too especially when something changes. They work with insurance and give you cost estimates if insurance doesn’t cover something. I really liked (some may not) monitoring appointments vs some clinics that have you just drop in between a certain time. I travel and want to get in and out so I can get to work at a decent time. So I appreciate scheduled appointments for monitoring
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
We researched 3 clinics before we chose this one. We had our first consult and left with so much (good) information. Dr. Marsol-Barg explained all the testing we were going to have done and what our next steps were. Once we had our diagnosis he gave us options and once we picked we had a plan. He made us felt at ease going through this process. He is compassionate, honest about expectations and has humor to lighten the process because let’s be honest ivf isn’t necessary fun.
Being a list of any questions you have.
He read through the files that were sent over before the consult. Had a good explanation on all the tests being done. We never felt rushed, he always asked if we had any questions. Can tell he genuinely cares. You are defiantly treating like a human and not a number at this clinic!
Antagonist using menopur, gonal -f and cetrotide
Everyone I came in contact with was amazing. Never had any issues
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
They are extremely organized. I also never had to wait for an appointment. Even sometimes I was early for whatever reason they got me in early. They have a portal for communication which is nice but sometimes it might be nice for a call too especially when something changes. They work with insurance and give you cost estimates if insurance doesn’t cover something. I really liked (some may not) monitoring appointments vs some clinics that have you just drop in between a certain time. I travel and want to get in and out so I can get to work at a decent time. So I appreciate scheduled appointments for monitoring
I don’t remember exact costs off hand but they weren’t too bad. Monitoring appointments were around $200. They did give a sheet of breakdown of costs then my insurance did cover some things so I had an idea of costs before I showed up
Recommend only transferring one

2016 - 2019
He [Dr. Michael Mersol-Barg] is compassionate, he makes you feel comfortable, and he explains everything thoroughly. Unfortuantley, you do not get to see him all the time. You have a consult and he sets a treatment plan. The nurses follow out with the treatment plan. Ive gone through three failed cycles and I just continue down the same path. I havent had any communication with the doctor.
Each monitoring ultrasound and bloodwork comes out to be arpund 250 [at MI Reproductive Med] . You can expect to pay this at least 4 times if not more. I use donor sperm they charge a fee to set up delivery. They have a fee just because i use donor sperm. The actual cost of the procedure is around 400 each time. You do two rounds. On average one round of IUI at this clinic is close to 2500. This does not include the sperm or medications.
2016 - 2019
I came to see Michael mersolbarg after reciecing treatments from a previous provider. The way mersolbarg treats people is hands down. He is compassionate, he makes you feel comfortable, and he explains everything thoroughly. Unfortuantley, you do not get to see him all the time. You have a consult and he sets a treatment plan. The nurses follow out with the treatment plan. Ive gone through three failed cycles and I just continue down the same path. I havent had any communication with the doctor.
Be aware that although he is wonderful, he is the only provider in his office. So there a wait to see him.
The doctor himself is wonderful. Sometimes the staff has the ability to make you feel like a pay check. They were great when you have a positive test. But with each negative test, it feels more and more like a number. Limited communication with the doctor.
I came to him in 2017 and was put on Clomid for 5 days. Followed by monitoring ultrasounds and ovidrel. My first treatment round was successful. I have come back to grow my family again and have been placed on the same treatment plan. I have now gone through three failed rounds
There are a few nurses that are wonderful. They showed compassion at failed attempts. They answered questions as well as they could. Then there are a few bad seeds that you almost dread when you see them.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has has monitoring hours that work well with people who carry a 9 to 5 position. They have weekend treatment capabilities, should your cycle fall on those days. They are upfront with the cost and expect payment on day of service.
Each monitoring ultrasound and bloodwork comes out to be arpund 250. You can expect to pay this at least 4 times if not more. I use donor sperm they charge a fee to set up delivery. They have a fee just because i use donor sperm. The actual cost of the procedure is around 400 each time. You do two rounds. On average one round of IUI at this clinic is close to 2500. This does not include the sperm or medications.
Bloomfield Hills

Very nicely set up [Michigan Repro Med].. begin area, then office sections then appointment section then payment section, very neat. You can tell the establishment is quite large and has delegated areas so it flows and feels private. ... Chris [nurse] is so friendly and upon arriving he is who you see first for vitals and such and any possible blood work. Nice to start with such a friendly smile.
Dr Michael Mersol- Barg addressed me and my husband very caringly. He knew we were coming over from a different doctor after a failed transfer. He spoke calmly and tried to keep it as light hearted as possible knowing we just went through the ringer. He voiced his medical opinion and we felt hopeful to be in the care of a doctor who truly loved what he does for a living. Making miracles should be a humbling experience and you can tell he is very humbled. He’s also very tall lol my husband says.
Be patient and engage in the truths he is speaking. Don’t go with plans afterwards. You don’t want to keep an eye on the clock and you can’t expect any doctors office to run like a factory conveyor belt.
I could feel the warmth in his voice when touching base on sensitive words during our meets.
My first round with a previous doctor my husband and I believed I stimmed for too long. I responded very well to the meds which resulted in quick growing follicles and lining great and everything where it needed to be. Yet only 3 were retrieved and only one transferred into me on a day my levels checked to be super high so they should have done a freeze instead of a 5 day transfer but me not knowing the quality of the embryo my guess was they knew it wouldn’t last a thaw. Basically my next round I will stim longer on lower doses and he would like to do a freeze so my body has time to get normal. We met in July after failed was in May/June. We postponed continuing until our house was finished. All set to begin first week of March with payment being due then.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Twla and Chris are so great!)
Chris is so friendly and upon arriving he is who you see first for vitals and such and any possible blood work. Nice to start with such a friendly smile.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Very nicely set up.. begin area, then office sections then appointment section then payment section, very neat. You can tell the establishment is quite large and has delegated areas so it flows and feels private.
We will be using ARC fertility, basically buy two rounds for a buy one get one half off situation. Does not cover meds labs or scans however.
Our previous doctor said preferred two. Which is what we were going to do. Not thinking I would never not have enough to transfer. (So silly) Our new RE prefers just one. Which I understand due to complications and high risk scenarios.

2014 - 2018
3 IUI, 6 IVF, 7 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. MB [Mersol-Barg] was kind and compassionate, however he wanted to continue the same course of treatment after several fails. Kindness and compassion were nice but they weren't getting me healthy embryos, so I moved providers. There were things I was concerned about and he brushed them away, telling me I was fine and no further testing (blood tests) was needed. When I moved REs the concern I had was tested and determined to be a problem. In addition, when I asked for things like PGS, ERA, etc. he told me they were not necessary and expensive - what was more expensive was additional IVF cycles.
I liked that there were monitoring appts, it made things more personal. The clinic [Michigan Reproductive Medicine] uses a Patient Portal which is nice if you want to message the nurses. ...I'd prefer a phone call incase I have questions and the portal to be a secondary mode of communication rather than the main mode while cycling. The costs are pretty expensive, there is a $1,400+ program fee that is not covered by insurance and is required before every cycle. ... The clinic it self is clean,beautiful, state of the art. A very nice and calming place.
2014 - 2018
3 IUI, 6 IVF, 7 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. MB was kind and compassionate, however he wanted to continue the same course of treatment after several fails. Kindness and compassion were nice but they weren't getting me healthy embryos, so I moved providers. There were things I was concerned about and he brushed them away, telling me I was fine and no further testing (blood tests) was needed. When I moved REs the concern I had was tested and determined to be a problem. In addition, when I asked for things like PGS, ERA, etc. he told me they were not necessary and expensive - what was more expensive was additional IVF cycles.
Look at and if you can meet with a few REs to determine who is the best fit for you.
Dr. MB has a calm, caring bedside manner, his staff is kind and compassionate. This was helpful when going through cycles, he seemed to know my story well and was prepared with next steps on how we wanted to do things going forward.
The nurses were kind and helpful, however when going through monitoring the nurses change from one appt to another which was frustrating at times because one appt I was told I had more follicles or bigger follicles then I'd go to the next appt and have less or smaller follicles. When I was going through IUIs and would have to call in a negative pregnancy test, that was hard most of the time they would just replay with "ok thanks for calling" and want to send me to the front desk for scheduling. This was a hard phone call to make and to be dismissed and sent back to the front desk for scheduling was, in my opinion not the best way to handle the situation.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I liked that there were monitoring appts, it made things more personal. The clinic uses a Patient Portal which is nice if you want to message the nurses. However I think it is used too much, they put all your monitoring information in rather than calling you. I'd prefer a phone call incase I have questions and the portal to be a secondary mode of communication rather than the main mode while cycling. The clinic it self is clean,beautiful, state of the art. A very nice and calming place.
Dr. MB would only transfer 1 embryo, but it could have been due to my specific health issues.
Bloomfield Hills

Dr. Mersol-Barg took his time explaining everything to my husband and I. He did not treat us like he needed to rush through everything. He explains things very well so that we can understand. We know the treatment plan and he explained all the steps necessary for us to begin. He made us feel comfortable and hopeful for starting!... He breaks down the medical talk so that anyone undergoing treatments can understand. He had many graphs, charts, and pictures to help us understand what is going on. He also talks through every procedure that is done.
[The staff at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] sit down with you and go over what everything will cost before you start treatments...Very nice waiting section, rooms are very nice and some of them even have a beautiful outside view. As you are talking with Mersol-Barg in his office, there are people who will walk by his office and you can see them going by on the sidewalk. It would have been nice if it was a little more private.
He is very personal. Tries to relate to you on a level that is understandable. He breaks down the medical talk so that anyone undergoing treatments can understand. He had many graphs, charts, and pictures to help us understand what is going on. He also talks through every procedure that is done.
Stay positive. He is a great doctor and really tries to keep up with the best practices. He sometimes has an interesting sense of humor, but it is his way of putting you at ease.
I have PCOS, so after the blood work and labs were done, the first thing he recommended is that I see the nutritionist. After that, my treatment strategy was follow a low carbs diet, get on Metformin, get on Formera, and do shots while ovulating. The diet is to help reduce insulin since I produce too much and the Metformin is supposed to help with that as well. The Formera is to help ovulate. The shots are to help get pregnant. We have not started yet due to money and timing. We were going to wait till the start of the new year for insurance purposes.
Always very friendly. It doesn't matter what time of day we come in they are always very friendly. They answer as many questions as possible and if they do not know the answer they make sure to check with Mersol-Barg.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Very clean and nice to be in. One weird thing is that it is not a building by itself, but once you go the first time and find where it is located in the building it is no problem. Very nice waiting section, rooms are very nice and some of them even have a beautiful outside view. As you are talking with Mersol-Barg in his office, there are people who will walk by his office and you can see them going by on the sidewalk. It would have been nice if it was a little more private.
I honestly do not remember them all. I do know that they sit down with you and go over what everything will cost before you start treatments.
This is not something we have talked about.
Bloomfield Hills

Dr. Mersol-Barg treated my husband and I like were important to him. We didn't feel like we were his only clients but we definitely didn't feel rushed to get out of there or cut short on time. Dr. Mersol-Barg treated us in a compassionate and professional manner.... I didn't feel like Dr. Mersol-Barg treated us as if we were just a number, he seemed to genuinely care about us.... Dr. Mersol-Barg strongly encourage eSET vs. a multiple transfer due to potential risks for both the fetus and mother
Strength- They allow testing to be done at outside facilities. We are located 5 hours away from MRM, and they told us we could do testing locally. They allow for weekend appointments for certain things, which is great and beneficial for out of town patients. Weaknesses- The building wasn't easy to find, we are from out of the area and it's not marked very well.... The nursing staff was abundant at Dr. Mersol-Barg's clinic. The nurse who took us back for initial stats was very kind and treated us with respect and compassion.
Dr. Michael Mersol-Barg treated us like we were important patients and took in to consideration all we had to say regarding past failures. I didn't feel like Dr. Mersol-Barg treated us as if we were just a number, he seemed to genuinely care about us. We discussed a path for the future, moving forward with IVF.
Go in to your consultation with an open mind. Don't be afraid to ask him questions that may seem silly, he's heard it all. He's there to help, and help is what he wants to do.
We discussed moving forward with IVF. I need to call and schedule the IVF orientation and then get in contact with pharmacies for medications.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance covered part of the initial consultation, we had to pay $223.24 for the consultation at the time of the appointment.
Dr. Mersol-Barg strongly encourage eSET vs. a multiple transfer due to potential risks for both the fetus and mother. A multiple transfer resulting in multiples runs the risk of low birth rates, premature births and possible complications during birth.
Bloomfield Hills

Dr. Mersol-Barg is a very caring doctor who wants to help you, and tries to do everything he can to do so. However, sometimes he seems to be set in his ways and we would have to "push" for adjustments. However, he failed to explain the severity of our diagnosis.... He wanted to try 3 IUI's first, we decided to stop before 3 were complete as it was a waste of money in our opinion.
Everyone [Michigan Reproductive Medicine] is really nice however there are times where you have to call to give them a friendly reminder to follow up. The nurses do the ultrasounds and IUI's so you might not see a doctor after your initial consultation until the next consultation.... The nurses were caring and compassionate, sometimes the call backs took way longer than they said.
Dr. Mersol-Barg is a very caring doctor who wants to help you, and tries to do everything he can to do so. However, sometimes he seems to be set in his ways and we would have to "push" for adjustments. However, he failed to explain the severity of our diagnosis. We had to find out online and through our next doctor how big of a concern it was.
Advocate for yourself. Make sure you do your research first.
Care was good, didn't feel like a number but there were long wait sometimes.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone is really nice however there are times where you have to call to give them a friendly reminder to follow up. The nurses do the ultrasounds and IUI's so you might not see a doctor after your initial consultation until the next consultation.
IUI costs ~400 for sperm prep and IUI. They charge a "nurse visit" ($37) fee ever monitoring appointment, which is absurd. Also they advertise outside monitoring services however they charge a $475/visit fee on top of the bloodwork ($50-75/test) and ultrasound fees ($200). Unethical! Absurb! Must love to take advantage of patients in need. They love taking on random fees for each and every thing, so please be careful and get everything in writing before you proceed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Failed to call twice until we had to call them the next day to ask why we didn't get a phone call, they more or less said oops, but followed up during that phone call so at least they didn't say we will call you back.

PCOS, Unexplained
For 3 IUIs cycles [with Dr. Michael Mersol-Berg], I was doing Gonal F and Menopur injections, usually 75 units each per day. When progress stalled, doctor increased Menopur up to 150 units daily. Only one cycle, the first, I actually got to the IUI procedure and took the Ovidrel injection the day before the back to back IUIs. I had injections about 8 days for this cycle and then did the IUIs. The IUIs were not successful. The second cycle same medication for 17 days; I overstimulated and the cycle was cancelled.
I dont think they [MI Reproductive Med- Bloomfield Hills] completely explain costs and it seems they have a few unnecessary required fees or consults which are not covered by insurance. Staff are always friendly and make you feel welcome. The wait time is reasonable and you usually can get appointment times you want. Early morning appointments fill up quick.
PCOS, Unexplained
He is very knowledgeable and really takes the time to explain things so you understand. He is kind and truly cares for his patients. I feel he needs to be more firm if he knows a procedure isn't going to work instead of continuing anyway because his patient may be hesitant to change direction. He is the subject matter expert, not the patient. Don't waste their time and money. He needs to have a better understanding for when to cancel a cycle and the dosage of medication to prescribe. My last two IUI cycles shouldn't have gone on as long as they did. He prescribed too high of doses for too many days and I overstimulated both cycles. He basically followed the same instructions both times with the same failed results.
Be your own advocate and do your research. Don't be afraid to question the doctor or request other care or change/stop the process. Find fertility or IVF groups such as on Facebook and ask for recommendations for clinics and doctors. You learn so much from others who are experiencing the same. You learn about things the doctors don't tell you and you have a support group.
He took the time to explain my test results and condition. My first appointment with him was very informative and I felt I finally understood what was happening with my body and what options I had going forward. He was honest and showed compassion and hope.
For 3 IUIs cycles, I was doing Gonal F and Menopur injections, usually 75 units each per day. When progress stalled, doctor increased Menopur up to 150 units daily. Only one cycle, the first, I actually got to the IUI procedure and took the Ovidrel injection the day before the back to back IUIs. I had injections about 8 days for this cycle and then did the IUIs. The IUIs were not successful. The second cycle same medication for 17 days; I overstimulated and the cycle was cancelled. The third IUI cycle I took one Femara pill for 5 days and then 21 days of Gonal F and Menopur shots. I overstimulated and the 3rd cycle was cancelled. I stopped seeing Dr. Mental Barg at that point.
Kind, compassionate, and made you feel comfortable. They kept you informed and were always helpful. They called you back the same day if you had questions or needed help.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I dont think they completely explain costs and it seems they have a few unnecessary required fees or consults which are not covered by insurance. Staff are always friendly and make you feel welcome. The wait time is reasonable and you usually can get appointment times you want. Early morning appointments fill up quick.
Each IUI cycle cost me approximately $3,500 including medications. My insurance only covered a portion of the monitoring after my deductible. I do not ovulate on my own so needed to take hormone injections with each cycle. The majority of my costs were for bloodwork and ultrasounds throughout cycles (approx $380 each visit; may need up to 6 or more each cycle). IUI procedure was approx $360 each.

2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. MB is a very experienced and knowledgeable RE. He [Dr. Mersol- Barg] seems to truly care about your goals and has a big focus on “having hope.”...He has a quirky personality that might be a turnoff for some. He is set in his ways but does seem to Explore new tactics and apprpatches .... Two IVF cycles with the same protocol - antagonist protocol with follistim and menupor. Primed with estrogen due to DOR. Similar results from both cycles - resulting in one “normal” blast each.
It’s a great location and nice space. They [MI Reproductive Medicine] have a state of the art surgical facility located on site which is super convenient. It’s never too busy which is a plus. The decor is fine but perhaps a bit outdated. Overall it’s a nice clinic.... Certain nurses really go above and beyond in their care. I have only had one nurse speak to me in a way that made me feel unimportant and belittled - especially as a woman going through such a harrowing struggle.
European, Other
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. MB is a very experienced and knowledgeable RE. He seems to truly care about your goals and has a big focus on “having hope.” He never guarantees any success and doesn’t like to give specific “chances of success” which can be somewhat challenging. He has a quirky personality that might be a turnoff for some. He is set in his ways but does seem to Explore new tactics and apprpatches . He’s very well respected in the community.
Listen more to questions and concerns.
For the most part, the doctors and Staff are incredibly warm and truly seem to care about you as a human, not just another case.
Certain nurses really go above and beyond in their care. I have only had one nurse speak to me in a way that made me feel unimportant and belittled - especially as a woman going through such a harrowing struggle. But this was a one off instance and I wouldn’t hold it against the team. Overall they are very kind and compassionate and readily available to speak. However they always defer to dr MB for any major questions.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
It’s a great location and nice space. They have a state of the art surgical facility located on site which is super convenient. It’s never too busy which is a plus. The decor is fine but perhaps a bit outdated. Overall it’s a nice clinic.
I would say about 25k per IVF cycle with ICSI
They share info on eset but will definitely allow two embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I think with any busy office, it’s important to stay on top of your case. Make sure that if tests come through with new numbers, etc. that you check in with the doctors and nurses about them. I think sometimes routine test results can go unnoticed even if changes can indicate something needs to happen.

2 Egg Freezing, IVF
He [Dr. Mersol-Barg] has great bedside manner and is easy to talk to. He explains everything clearly and understands my concerns...I had 2 IVF embryo banking cycles both using Menopur 150 IU that was eventually dropped to 75 IU and Gonal-F 150 IU with a Lupron 1mg trigger. I had 11 eggs retrieved first round, 9 mature, 4 fertilized and all arrested before blastocyst stage. Second round I had 17 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 9 fertilized and PGS tested for translocations. 3 embryos came back balanced and I had my first FET on 9/21. It’s too early for my pregnancy test so I don’t yet know if it was successful.
The nursing and lab staff [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] is excellent and the patient portal is wonderful for reviewing blood and ultrasound results, along with receiving updated medication instructions...is very well organized and all appointments happen on time. They use technology to streamline processes and communicate with patients, which I find extremely helpful. The office is clean, spacious, and they have snacks and coffee available. They also offer a monthly support group.
2 Egg Freezing, IVF
Dr. Mersol-Barg is very easy to talk to and explains everything clearly. He listens and is understanding of my concerns. He also has a good sense of humor, which was helpful in easing my anxiety on the FET day.
Ask for the fee schedule up front and ask when certain fees are due because they have several charges that are not sent through insurance.
He has great bedside manner and is easy to talk to. He explains everything clearly and understands my concerns.
The nursing and lab staff is excellent and the patient portal is wonderful for reviewing blood and ultrasound results, along with receiving updated medication instructions.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
MRM is very well organized and all appointments happen on time. They use technology to streamline processes and communicate with patients, which I find extremely helpful. The office is clean, spacious, and they have snacks and coffee available. They also offer a monthly support group.
There is a $795 fee for FET cycles and $900 for freezing and storage for 1 year. Each IVF embryo banking cycle had a free over $1000. These fees were on top of fees billed to insurance.
I had planned to transfer one embryo but I know Dr. Mersol-Barb is open to transferring one or two embryos.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Mersol-Barg took care of me as if I were a member of his family. He hugged both me and my husband during our visits, sat with us and spoke to us in a caring, and empathetic fashion. He acknowledged my need/want to approach things with an integrative approach and was very open to me including holistic methods to assist in fertility. He was not only caring and empathetic, but he also used humor and wit to explain things in a very conversational way.
They [Michigan Reproductive Medicine] are very compassionate, but also have an extremely positive outlook and energy that they bring into the office. One thing my husband and I provided feedback on was how much detail was left in messages. There were times at the beginning of this process when I was finding out about health issues I had no idea existed. To be given this information in a voicemail did not sit well with me. We spoke to Dr. Mersol-Barg about this and explained the approach we wanted them to take with us and they adjusted accordingly, which was appreciated.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Being one who lives my life as naturally as possible, it took a lot for me to even schedule a consult with Dr. Mersol-Barg. It ended up being one of the best decisions my husband and I ever made. He is a wonderful man - warm, caring, compassionate, funny, and, without question, he cares deeply about what he does and the patients he sees. He is open-minded about different ways of thinking about and doing things, which was a huge relief to me. My husand and I are now expecting twins in the fall and we couldn't be more grateful. It is impossible to describe how blessed we feel that Dr. Mersol-Barg came into our lives.
Go in with an open mind and at least listen to all of the possibilities. I always said I would never do anything unnatural to get pregnant. I am more grateful than I can explain that I decided to do a medicated IUI cycle. We now have two little miracles on the way.
Day 2 of my cycle, I had baseline blood work done to check my estrogen and progesterone levels, as well as do an ultrasound to confirm there were no cysts on my ovaries. Day 3, I started Letrozole for 5 days to stimulate my follicles. During this time, I had more blood work done to make sure my estrogen and progesterone were at the correct levels and more ultrasounds to measure my follicles. When my follicles looked mature, around day 11, I gave myself an Ovidrel shot to stimulate my follicles to release eggs. I then had two straight days of IUI. I had one more ultrasound three days later to confirm my follicles went down. 14 days after I took the Ovidrel shot, I took a pregnancy test and it was positive.
The nurses at Dr. Mersol-Barg's office are angels. They hugged me and empathized with me during my tough times, and celebrated and cried with me during my happy times. They were over-the-moon when we found out we were pregnant and again when we found out about the twins. They are gentle and nurturing in their care and were truly amazing during our experience.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Obviously this can be a very emotional topic. They are very compassionate, but also have an extremely positive outlook and energy that they bring into the office. One thing my husband and I provided feedback on was how much detail was left in messages. There were times at the beginning of this process when I was finding out about health issues I had no idea existed. To be given this information in a voicemail did not sit well with me. We spoke to Dr. Mersol-Barg about this and explained the approach we wanted them to take with us and they adjusted accordingly, which was appreciated.
Insurance covered a lot, which was great. we paid a $20 co-pay each visit and had to pay out of pocket for the sperm sample prep for both IUI treatments, which was about $360 total. The medication, including the Ovidrel shot, was $107. In all, with co-pays, we paid about $1000 for a medicated IUI cycle.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
He [Dr. Mersol-Bard] explains the science of infertility/fertility treatments both verbally and with pictures. It is helpful. He is down to earth and really caring...I had stimulation techniques to aid in egg production. I had egg retrieval and frozen embryo with genetic testing steps done due to age. 41 when IVF was done and successful with first attempt!...He really took the time to get to know our family and our needs. I felt safe in his care. He did an amazing job and I would not hesitate to refer him to friends and family. I am a physician myself and can assure you that I would recommend him without reservation.
[The nurses at Michigan Reproductive Medicine are] One of THE BEST ATTRIBUTES to this office. I loved each and every one of them. The worked with me and my worries/concerns every step of the way...Beautiful clinic and amazing staff. No complaints! Strengths: lots of staff on hand so messages were answered promptly. They truly care. They make time for you. They have great knowledge. The lab was great too. The office is beautiful.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Dr. Mersol-Barg was excellent as well as office and staff. He really took the time to get to know our family and our needs. I felt safe in his care. He did an amazing job and I would not hesitate to refer him to friends and family. I am a physician myself and can assure you that I would recommend him without reservation.
He explains the science of infertility/fertility treatments both verbally and with pictures. It is helpful. He is down to earth and really caring. Just trust in the process. He can help you.
He is very unique and I love that about him. Of course he is incredibly intelligent and he has a great bedside manor. It was such an emotional process for us and he was so great with all the tears I shed. I trusted him and his staff. Amazing people!!!
One of THE BEST ATTRIBUTES to this office. I loved each and every one of them. The worked with me and my worries/concerns every step of the way. ABSOLUTELY THE BEST STAFF ON THE PLANET!!
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I had to pay cash for all treatments. Insurance did not cover anything prior to pregnancy diagnosis.
I had 2 frozen embryos and he did advise me to do 1 at a time due to age and risks associated with multiple gestation
Bloomfield Hills
Dr. Mersol-Barg took over an hour with my husband and I to answer all of our questions and inform us with infertility treatment options that were relevant to us. He took the time prior to our appointment to come up with a plan based on our history which allowed him more time to listen to our needs and to respond effectively. We felt like he put 100% of effort into our case which made us feel like we were most certainly not just a number... He validated every question and concern I had going into this process. He also has a great sense of humor which makes this hard process a little better.
The nursing staff [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] was amazing. Everyone is knowledgeable and compassionate. They also made me feel very comfortable and open to ask any question I had without judgment...The cost was fair and comparable to any other clinics in Michigan that I researched. The care provided make every penny worth it...The clinic is organized and clean. The front office staff are all very helpful and knowledgeable. The MA's are the greatest and make the whole process run smoothly. The nurses and both doctors are some of the best I have ever seen. This clinic spends a lot of time making sure the patients have the best experience possible.
He is upbeat and loving. I felt like he wanted me to find success as much as a family member would. He validated every question and concern I had going into this process. He also has a great sense of humor which makes this hard process a little better.
Don't try to rush the process! He knows his stuff and it is important to take each step without trying to jump through any loop holes.
To treat my PCOS, I went on Metformin for a month as well as met with the nutritionist, Nancy. I then began 50 mg of Femara and was monitored to indicate my follicles were developed to a point of ovulation. I took Ovidril (a trigger shot) and then came in a few days last for a post-ovulatory monitoring appointment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Terri)
The nursing staff was amazing. Everyone is knowledgeable and compassionate. They also made me feel very comfortable and open to ask any question I had without judgment.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
He [Dr. Michael Mersol-Barg] didn't waste our time and money with more testing. The way he explained things and the way he changed our perspective about the whole process was great. He is not at all pushy but very gentle, respectful towards my emotions, gave us great medical information that eased my mind. He is definitely passionate about his work...I was on estrogen and progesterone supplements, underwent endometrial scratching.
We paid $10,000 for 6 donor eggs and another 10,000 for first embryo transfer [unfortunately didn't work out) [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine]. But were able to freeze one embryo. Paid around 4,000 for 2nd transfer which was successful...They are excellent. On time, organized, and I never had to wait for more than 10 min before called in...Very clean , pleasantly decorated, and spacious.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
My husband and I made our decision to go for IVF with egg donation even before we walked in to Dr Michael office because over last 3 years we were told by three other doctors that this is the only option we have. I was little disappointed and sad about it and wrestled with the decision. But after meeting with him for the first time, I can tell he is different from the other doctors we met before. It was the same information but the way he presented it was different. He didn't waste our time and money with more testing. The way he explained things and the way he changed our perspective about the whole process was great. He is not at all pushy but very gentle, respectful towards my emotions, gave us great medical information that eased my mind. He is definitely passionate about his work.
First of all, I am sorry if you are having difficult time. Please do not loose hope and try to have a balanced view about every option and every decision you have to make. If you already made a decision to see Dr Mersol-barg, one thing I can assure is that you are in good hands medically speaking. Try to relax and let the God who rules this universe and medical science help you reach your destiny. All the very best. May peace of god rule your hearts.
He is very kind, compassionate, and took great effort and time to explain things to us in detail. He never rushed us and took our emotions in to consideration very well. Has great personality and sense of humor.
They are excellent. On time, organized, and I never had to wait for more than 10 min before called in. Loved every one.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Very clean , pleasantly decorated, and spacious.
We paid $10,000 for 6 donor eggs and another 10,000 for first embryo transfer ( unfortunately didn't work out). But were able to freeze one embryo. Paid around 4,000 for 2 nd transfer which was successful.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Mersol-Barg explained things very thoroughly and made us feel that we had a voice in our treatment plan. For example, after two unsuccessful cycles, there was no clear reason why we hadn't achieved a pregnancy--though there were a couple factors that raised some questions. Dr. Mersol-Barg explained different treatment options thoroughly and then let us choose how to proceed. (In the end, we decided to go ahead with a third cycle rather than treating these possible-but-unlikely causes--and did achieve success in that cycle.)...
Beautiful, spa-like atmosphere [at MI Repro Med]. Very caring staff members who are willing to spend as much time as it takes to answer your questions and address your concerns. (This includes the medical staff as well as the finance/billing teams.) We had a wonderful experience here, even though it took a couple tries before we were successful. Throughout our treatment here we were well aware of our chances for success as well as the treatment options that were available to us...
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Mersol-Barg and his clinic! You will be treated like an intelligent person. I would also add that other fertility doctors and OBGYNS we saw during our course of treatment often made my husband feel like a third wheel. Dr. Mersol-Barg made a real effort to include him in the treatment process, which was something he really appreciated.
Dr. Mersol-Barg's demeanor is incredibly warm and compassionate. We felt that he really was with us when things did not go well, and that he truly rejoiced with us when we finally achieved success. We consistently had access to him and his staff when we needed support.
I did three cycles using Michigan Reproductive Medicine. s in-house donor egg bank. Each cycle followed the same protocol: * Endometrial scratching * Estrace twice a day beginning on the first day of my period and up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. * Crinone twice a day beginning on the day the eggs were inseminated and up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. Our first two cycles were not successful and did not result in any embryos for freezing. Our third cycle resulted in pregnancy, as well as four frozen embryos.
The nursing staff was small enough that we got to know most of them pretty well. All were responsive, willing to answer questions, and very caring.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Beautiful, spa-like atmosphere. Very caring staff members who are willing to spend as much time as it takes to answer your questions and address your concerns. (This includes the medical staff as well as the finance/billing teams.) We had a wonderful experience here, even though it took a couple tries before we were successful. Throughout our treatment here we were well aware of our chances for success as well as the treatment options that were available to us. One thing I would say is that the clinic has recently added a second doctor, and he and Dr. Mersol-Barg are now performing endometrial scratching and embryo transfers on alternate weeks. I understand that this is better for them operationally, but do think it detracts a little from the personalized experience that makes this clinic so wonderful. That being said, they do give you the option of requesting your regular doctor if you are more comfortable with that.
The cost of 6 donor eggs from their in-house egg bank was $9,995. After two unsuccessful cycles, the clinic gave us a huge financial break and gave us half off all out-of-pocket expenses (including the cost of the donor eggs). I think that the cost of the medicines/lab work/transfer/scratching, etc. would have been somewhere around $7,000-$9,000. However, I was fortunate to have insurance that covered most of these costs--so I wasn't completely in tune with the exact numbers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
There was one time early in my pregnancy when the nurses did not call with my BETA results. I called the after hours service and was immediately connected with Dr. Mersol-Barg who was able to give me the results. He was extremely apologetic and repeatedly said that I should always feel free to call him after hours with any questions or concerns. I felt that the situation was adequately resolved, and this experience does not detract from my favorable view of this clinic.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Mersol-Barg not only took the time to sit down and talk to me, but more importantly he listened to me. Every day, every hour he is working with couples and individuals dealing with different levels of infertility...one of the most delicate subjects to a woman. I never doubted his knowledge and abilities. Most importantly, I felt I could trust him 100%. I knew from day one that I was in good hands and I was hopeful...
[Michigan Reproductive Medicine - Bloomfield Hills is...] Inviting, clean, serene...Fortunately, our insurance covered quite a bit of our treatment up until starting the IUI or IVF processes. So co-pays prior to that were reasonable. $25 office visits...This team is so well trained. Every one of the team members I came into contact with were compassionate and knowledgeable. If I had a question, I was almost always given an answer. If it was something that needed to be run by the doctor, it was done in a timely matter...
PCOS, Unexplained
Coming to a fertility doctor is both exciting and terrifying all at once. The unknown...will we ever get pregnant...that's all that goes through your head. Dr. Mersol-Barg not only took the time to sit down and talk to me, but more importantly he listened to me. Every day, every hour he is working with couples and individuals dealing with different levels of infertility...one of the most delicate subjects to a woman. I never doubted his knowledge and abilities. Most importantly, I felt I could trust him 100%. I knew from day one that I was in good hands and I was hopeful.
Take this process day by day. Learn to ride the emotional waves and stay positive. Never doubt that you should be under any one else's care. Dr. Mersol-Barg shows such compassion that there is no doubt in my mind that he is genuinely trying to get each and every patient of his pregnant in the best way for a healthy pregnancy for both mom and baby.
From the very first appointment and on, I was treated as if I was the only patient in the office. From the front desk team all the way to Dr. Mersol-Barg, I felt like I had individualized attention and care.
I had multiple tests completed to try to explain my infertility. With a family history of PCOS, I did show some signs of PCOS myself. My husband and I wanted to be pregnant, but were also wanting to be sure we did this in a way that was safest for both myself and our future baby. We started a cycle of Femara for stimulation for IUI but cancelled mid-cycle due to overstimulation and lack of maturity of follicles. We were going to move on to IVF due to recent test findings. But, we didn't have to go that far as I learned later that month that I was expecting our first child together!
Inviting, clean, serene.
Bloomfield Hills

Meeting with Dr. Mersol-Barg was personal, private and he gave you his full attention. He offered hope and a strategy to find a solution. He was compassionate about infertility and trying to help patients overcome there infertility issues...I highly recommend Dr. Mersol-barg. I came to him after having numerous early reoccurrent miscarriages. I was emotionally distraught and desperate for answers. My husband and I underwent a multitude of tests. Although we weren't able to pinpoint an actual diagnosis, we were able to try a medicine combination that worked for us on the first try. I am now currently pregnant at 17 weeks with a healthy baby girl. It's obvious to me how much he cares about helping people overcome infertility an
Meeting with Dr. Mersol-Barg [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] was personal, private and he gave you his full attention. He offered hope and a strategy to find a solution. He was compassionate about infertility and trying to help patients overcome there infertility issues...I highly recommend Dr. Mersol-barg. I came to him after having numerous early reoccurrent miscarriages. I was emotionally distraught and desperate for answers. My husband and I underwent a multitude of tests. Although we weren't able to pinpoint an actual diagnosis, we were able to try a medicine combination that worked for us on the first try. I am now currently pregnant at 17 weeks with a healthy baby girl. It's obvious to me how much he cares about helping people overcome infertility an
I highly recommend Dr. Mersol-barg. I came to him after having numerous early reoccurrent miscarriages. I was emotionally distraught and desperate for answers. My husband and I underwent a multitude of tests. Although we weren't able to pinpoint an actual diagnosis, we were able to try a medicine combination that worked for us on the first try. I am now currently pregnant at 17 weeks with a healthy baby girl. It's obvious to me how much he cares about helping people overcome infertility and he is genuinely excited when a successful pregnancy is achieved. I am truly grateful for him instilling hope and helping us get this miracle!
I would ask as many questions as you can and do your research. It is impairitive that you feel confidante with the process and with your options. I believe in having an open mind and I think that's good to keep in mind when meeting with him. He may have an idea you didn't know existed or previously considered.
Meeting with Dr. Mersol-barg was personal, private and he gave you his full attention. He offered hope and a strategy to find a solution. He was compassionate about infertility and trying to help patients overcome there infertility issues.
We had a number of tests run. We did not use ivf, or any other fertility treatment. We stuck to a medicine regiment. In our case that worked well.
I was frustrated with my situation of infertility and the staff was always nice, caring and supportive. The staff was truly wonderful!
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I think the strengths are with the experience, success and bed side manner.
Payments are upfront then they bill the insurance company. I had a credit at the end.

2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
He's very sweet and friendly. His kindness doesn't feel faked. You don't see him much during a cycle (only for ER and transfer, really) but his staff is absolutely wonderful! I love them all... Ask questions and bring up ideas if you want to try something he hasn't mentioned! Be ready for hugs and "dad jokes"
Donna [the nurse] is the most wonderful woman, and Chris the phlebotomist is hilarious. Many of the staff were treated by Dr MB and are very open about it. I haven't had a single bad experience with them in the 1.5 years I've been seeing Dr MB... I wish it was a kid-free zone. Kids aren't there often but when they are it's hard. Otherwise the offices are beautiful, clean and well-appointed, not sterile or cold.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
His only weaknesses in my opinion are that I'm not as touchy of a person- he likes hugs- and you really don't see much of him between the planning meeting through retrieval. But I didn't feel neglected. I think he's just wonderful- and after 2 unsuccessful IVF cycles the fact that I still like him is pretty great, I think! ;)
IUI- started with femara, added injectable Bravelle to up responses, 1 big follicle, BFN. IVF 1- 75 bravelle/ 75 menopur for I think 8 days, 10 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized normally, had 2 morulas on day 5 ad transferred them both- BFN. IVF 2- 150 bravelle/ 75 menopur for 8 days, 20 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 frozen and 8 fertilized. Of those 8, 5 fertilized normally, 2 made it to day 5 an AA and an AB grade, transferred both, BFN. (Next cycle is donor sperm at our request)
Donna is the most wonderful woman, and Chris the phlebotomist is hilarious. Many of the staff were treated by Dr MB and are very open about it. I haven't had a single bad experience with them in the 1.5 years I've been seeing Dr MB
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Planning meeting- $300 Monitoring with US and bloodworm are around $150 each I think? IUI procedure is about $200 IVF (the retrieval, transfer, ICSI, assisted hatch, embryologist fees etc) was over $8000 They don't sell meds. $40 extra fee for monitoring or procedure appointments on weekends and holidays. $700 cycle management fee for IVF $300 cycle manage my fee for IUI I think $1200 cycle management fee for IVF with frozen sperm and eggs
Bloomfield Hills

we found we were very comfortable with Dr. Mersol-Barg. He was very compassionate and understanding and never made us feel uncomfortable or gave us false hope. There was never any pressure to do more than what was necessary. He explained everything well and clearly...We were always treated like family and Dr. Mersol-Barg was always very sensitive to our feelings as well as the financial strain this process could take... Once you meet with him, you'll know why he is so loved.
[The nurses at Michigan Reproductive Medicine were] Absolutely amazing...Couldn't ask for a better team. Even during our miscarriage, the level of sensitivity was so high. They really and truly cared for us and our success...Beautiful clinic...it is nice that it is a comfortable place to be. Hours were good and they were very accommodating to our work schedules...We were always treated like family and Dr. Mersol-Barg was always very sensitive to our feelings as well as the financial strain this process could take. There was never any pressure to do anything more than we could afford or any quicker than we were ready to.
Going through infertility was never something I even considered as a possibility. When we finally reached the point that we knew we needed to do something, we found we were very comfortable with Dr. Mersol-Barg. He was very compassionate and understanding and never made us feel uncomfortable or gave us false hope. There was never any pressure to do more than what was necessary. He explained everything well and clearly.
Meet with him and ask any and all questions you might have. Once you meet with him, you'll know why he is so loved.
I have PCOS so getting my eggs to be fully mature and release was the issue. I was put on femara and ovidrel and a 2 step IUI process. We had 4 attempts. My body responded well to the medicine each time. First attempt - negative. 2nd - missed miscarriage (chromosomal issue). 3rd - negative. This was normally where the recommendations may have changed as to considering IVF however since we knew my body responded well to the medicine and this was likely our last attempt (due to finances and emotional strain) we did a 4th IUI attempt with same protocol - got pregnant with twin girls who are healthy 9 month olds now.
Absolutely amazing and seeet angels. Couldn't ask for a better team. Even during our miscarriage, the level of sensitivity was so high. They really and truly cared for us and our success.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Beautiful clinic. Obviously not somewhere that you would ever really want to spend a lot of time at, but since going through all of the testing and procedures often means a lot of visits, it is nice that it is a comfortable place to be. Hours were good and they were very accommodating to our work schedules.
Some of the testing was able to be ran under insurance. I remember $20 blood tests and some additional charges. Can't remember exact totals but I think they were around what we would have imagined paying.
We didn't do IVF at all but I do know that with us, the goal was one healthy baby.

1 IVF, Donor Eggs
After our initial testing I was advised [by Dr. Micheal Mersol-Barg] that my egg reserve was low but I wanted to try IVF with my own eggs first...unfortunately the eggs did not survive the fertilization process. Dr. Mersol-Barg called me himself...Our next step was egg donor. That decision was not easy but one that I am happy we chose. With this I didn't have any shots to take. I just had estrodal and progesterone vaginal inserts for 10 weeks. We implanted two embryos and I am happily pregnant with 1.
I like that everything that you needed to get done was there at their office [Michigan Reproductive Medicine]. Every procedure, ultrasound and blood work. Very convenient...All of the nursing staff is compassionate about their job. They are real sincere, I always felt welcomed not like I was getting in their way or causing them an inconvenience...Fertility treatments are not cheap but I find that Dr. Mersol-Barg's office charges about the going rate for these types of costs.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Mersol-Barg is very passionate about his job sometimes I felt like he looked at me with sad eyes but it was because he could relate to what I was going through. That was just when I got bad news. He cares about his profession. He doesn't see you as a number, he sees you as someone needing help to achieve their goal in becoming parents. I never felt like I was taking up too much of his time or that he was in a hurry to see the next patient. He is the best doctor I have ever seen and I would highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for a fertility clinic.
If you want a doctor who is passionate about their job and cares about you as a patient, I would set up an appointment with Dr. Michael Mersol-Barg.
Dr. Mersol-Barg and his staff were very nice every time I came in or called. Very pleasant and very compassionate. I enjoyed going to their office and I miss seeing them all.
After our initial testing I was advised that my egg reserve was low but I wanted to try IVF with my own eggs first. I went through the shots and the egg retrieval but unfortunately the eggs did not survive the fertilization process. Dr. Mersol-Barg called me himself and waited for me to finish crying before saying another word. He made sure I was ready to talk before telling me our next move. Our next step was egg donor. That decision was not easy but one that I am happy we chose. With this I didn't have any shots to take. I just had estrodal and progesterone vaginal inserts for 10 weeks. We implanted two embryos and I am happily pregnant with 1.
Every time I went into the office they were always pleasant. All of the nursing staff is compassionate about their job. They are real sincere, I always felt welcomed not like I was getting in their way or causing them an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I like that everything that you needed to get done was there at their office. Every procedure, ultrasound and blood work. Very convenient.
The most expensive part was the medications when I was doing the shots. Fertility treatments are not cheap but I find that Dr. Mersol-Barg's office charges about the going rate for these types of costs.
Bloomfield Hills

The day I went in my first beta test following IVF, Dr. Mersol-barg called with his entire staff [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] and announced together over speaker phone, "You're PREGNANT!" It was such a special moment, I'll never forget it. Dr. Mersol-Barg also took a video of our 9.5 week ultrasound and the heartbeat on his personal phone and sent it to us. Mersol- Barg put me on the short protocol with no birth control or lupron prior to IVF cycle. He believed in the "less is more" philosophy for my scenario. I was prescribed 225mg? of Gonal F and 75mg of Menopur to stimulate egg production. He also prescribed Cetrotide for 5 days leading up to my retrieval to avoid premature ovulation . I triggered with Ovidrel. I used Crinone as a progesterone supplement for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy
You're in good hands. Trust in Dr. Mersol-Barg's knowledge and experience and there's a good chance you'll be meeting your miracle soon!
Dr. Mersol-barg took the time to explain everything thoroughly with us. He was very caring and supportive and gave me a big hug every visit! The nurses and office staff at MIchigan Reproductive were extremely friendly and helpful. The day I went in my first beta test following IVF, Dr. Mersol-barg called with his entire staff and announced together over speaker phone, "You're PREGNANT!" It was such a special moment, I'll never forget it. Dr. Mersol-Barg also took a video of our 9.5 week ultrasound and the heartbeat on his personal phone and sent it to us. When we graduated from his practice the staff sent us off with preggo magazines and an inscribed baby spoon as a gift. There were so many personalized little touches that Michigan Reproductive Medicine did that made feel cared for as a special person.
Mersol- Barg put me on the short protocol with no birth control or lupron prior to IVF cycle. He believed in the "less is more" philosophy for my scenario. I was prescribed 225mg? of Gonal F and 75mg of Menopur to stimulate egg production. He also prescribed Cetrotide for 5 days leading up to my retrieval to avoid premature ovulation . I triggered with Ovidrel. I used Crinone as a progesterone supplement for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy.
They were wonderful! Informed and friendly, encouraging and caring! They were always available for questions if I was unsure about something. They had daily meetings at lunch with Mersol-Barg to catch on clients needs, issues and statuses. I liked that there was so much communication and teamwork amoung the staff. They were like a family.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Clean, modern, state of the art equipment all in house for retrieval, ultrasounds, transfer, etc.
Prices were expensive but were layed out up front when meeting with office staff. ARC financing was available for IVF packages so we took advantage of that.

2011 - 2014
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
I had two failed IUIs before we decided to move onto IVF. I am a cancer survivor with only one working ovary and in my case, Dr. M-B [Mersol-Barg] took a conservative approach to how many stimulating hormones and the dosage to put me on. I responded well. I didn't have many eggs retrieved, but they were all mature and that's what truly matters. I had a successful fresh IVF cycle with both embryos implanting which ultimately resulted in one live birth. One year later we were back in the office discussed a frozen IVF cycle. One of the two frozen embryos stuck and resulted in another live birth.
We had seamless support from all of the nurses in the clinic [Michigan Reproductive Medicine]. They were always pleasant and quickly returned phone calls to answer questions. They shared encouraging words and shared your highs and lows during the process. The care Dr. M-B provides wouldn't be as good as it is without the skilled nursing team...I never had an issue with monitoring appointments. They've tried it different ways over the years. They've done open hours in the morning from 7-9am. Then they had changed it to assigned times/assigned windows and days to avoid having long waits for patients. Both ways worked fine and I was always able to make it work on time.
2011 - 2014
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
Dr. Mersol-Barg is a very intelligent man. He's empathetic and compassionate. He makes eye contact when speaking with you. He speaks slowly and clearly so you can understand him. He's known to offer a hug to patients and he does have a sense of humor that can be defined as quirky. You won't find a friendlier doctor in the infertility world as many are too cerebral, technical and stiff. That is not the case with Dr. Mike.
just go and see him, you won't regret it.
Dr. Mersol-Barg is in this business to help those in need have a family or grow a family. He's extremely smart and well versed in his profession, he's also smart enough to assemble the best team of embryologists, RNs, techs and front office staff to ensure his patients have the best experience they can while going through something as awful as infertility. Before Infertility support groups were a thing, Dr. M-B started a support group for patients and non-patients in the community to come speak about their infertility journey. He genuinely wants his patients to experience parenthood regardless of your sexual orientation or socio-economic status. He and his staff are genuinely happy for your success and equally as devastated for your disappointments in the journey to parenthood. Dr. M-B will take the difficult cases that other clinics won't because they don't want to risk messing up their stats- you don't have to worry about that with Dr. M-B. The high level of communication received during both our fresh and frozen IVF cycles was great. The processes they have in place are also very high-touch and ensure you know what's happening every step of the way. You're encouraged to ask questions throughout the process.
I had two failed IUIs before we decided to move onto IVF. I am a cancer survivor with only one working ovary and in my case, Dr. M-B took a conservative approach to how many stimulating hormones and the dosage to put me on. I responded well. I didn't have many eggs retrieved, but they were all mature and that's what truly matters. I had a successful fresh IVF cycle with both embryos implanting which ultimately resulted in one live birth. One year later we were back in the office discussed a frozen IVF cycle. One of the two frozen embryos stuck and resulted in another live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Pam, Renee, Roberta, Terri, Donna)
We had seamless support from all of the nurses in the clinic. They were always pleasant and quickly returned phone calls to answer questions. They shared encouraging words and shared your highs and lows during the process. The care Dr. M-B provides wouldn't be as good as it is without the skilled nursing team.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is highly integrated with technology which enables patients to see videos about their care, and diagrams and care plans with ease. The clinic has also improved processes to better ensure that patients aren't kept waiting. Appointments run on time and if there happen to be delays they are not long and you are kept updated on the status. They only employ knowledgeable, friendly, helpful people here so it's a positive interaction with everyone. They strive for continual improvement which I view as a fantastic quality to have when in the business of patient care. You're in good hands here.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Our costs associated with our care were within the going rate within the market. We had insurance coverage for ultra-sounds and blood work as well as 50% coverage for infertility medications. The billing department was knowledgeable in the appropriate way to bill for such services. We didn't experience any billing issues. The clinic does offer a percentage of discount in care costs for Firefighter, Police and Teachers which was very much appreciated. They will work with you in spreading the out of pocket cost across several credit cards if you need to pay that way. I never felt judged at all for asking any financial questions or having to juggle funds around to pay for care.

IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr. Mersol-Barg was extremely compassionate and, as a patient, I really felt like he wanted the best for me. I was a single person and felt absolutely no judgement from him. The only thing I questioned was when it was time to transfer an embryo, I was told there was only one surviving embryo, and I wondered what had happened to the others since I was told they had been growing ok at the previous discussion. So, I would have liked a little better explanation of their growth arrest.
The clinic staff [MI Repro Med] were very supportive and understanding. They made sure to answer my questions. I always received a call back from the nurse in a timely manner....The staff was great. The only issues I had with the clinic were 1. I would have preferred a total cost of services at the beginning of treatment. Instead, they gave me a bunch of individual costs for services which made it difficult to figure out what the bottom line would be. 2. I had to pay up front before being able to view egg donors
European, Other
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
His services are a bit expensive and aren't given as a lump sum, so it's hard to gauge the total cost at onset of treatment. While he is a wonderful doctor and I got pregnant with my first IVF attempt, there are definitely clinics that are more affordable.
The clinic staff were very supportive and understanding. They made sure to answer my questions. I always received a call back from the nurse in a timely manner. They were all very excited when I became pregnant.
The doctor performed a test to check the patency and structure of my Fallopian tubes and uterus. He performed a procedure where he "scratched" the surface of my uterus prior to embryo transfer in order to facilitate implantation. I was also prescribed oral estrogen and vaginal progesterone. The medications were not covered by insurance and were very costly, but the office was able to obtain some samples for me as well as a manufacturers coupon, which helped with cost.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
The staff was great. The only issues I had with the clinic were 1. I would have preferred a total cost of services at the beginning of treatment. Instead, they gave me a bunch of individual costs for services which made it difficult to figure out what the bottom line would be. 2. I had to pay up front before being able to view egg donors and was concerned I would spend the money and not find one that I liked. Fortunately, I did. I did mention that it would be a nice option to be able to have a picture to keep of the egg donor (this isn't an option), so that my child would have this. I also told the nurse that many clinics now offer the option for donors and donor children to share information once they are 18 years old. I think this is important for donor children and purposely chose a sperm donor with this option. However, this is not an option with the egg bank that Dr. Mersol-Barg uses. I was told the donors do this out of the "goodness of their heart" when I mentioned this, which I believe most do. However, I don't see how that makes any difference in what I had asked for. Children of donors will inevitably have questions about their biological roots, and I believe they should be given the option to know the donors once they reach adulthood, if both parties agree.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
It's conveniently located, private, and the appointments are very timely.
I think it was around $25,000 when it was all said and done, but the costs were assessed as I went and it made it difficult to know total cost.
I think Dr. Mersin-Barg is willing to individualize treatments based on patient's needs. I was a single woman with limited income and was concerned about having multiples. Thus, he recommended only transferring one embryo. I decided on my own (the doctor offered it as an option) to do chromosomal testing of the embryos prior to transfer, which I believe improved my chances of successful healthy pregnancy because one of the two embryos tested had a chromosomal abnormality that isn't compatible with life. Had I not done the testing and they opted to transfer the other embryo, I would have either not become pregnant or would have miscarried.