LGBTQ+ Competent Care
LGBTQ+ Competent Care

Based on reviews from the LGBTQ+ community.

5.8

Michael Mersol-Barg works at

41000 Woodward Avenue
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
He's very sweet and friendly. His kindness doesn't feel faked. You don't see him much during a cycle (only for ER and transfer, really) but his staff is absolutely wonderful! I love them all... Ask questions and bring up ideas if you want to try something he hasn't mentioned! Be ready for hugs and "dad jokes"
Donna [the nurse] is the most wonderful woman, and Chris the phlebotomist is hilarious. Many of the staff were treated by Dr MB and are very open about it. I haven't had a single bad experience with them in the 1.5 years I've been seeing Dr MB... I wish it was a kid-free zone. Kids aren't there often but when they are it's hard. Otherwise the offices are beautiful, clean and well-appointed, not sterile or cold.
How was your experience with Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine?
His only weaknesses in my opinion are that I'm not as touchy of a person- he likes hugs- and you really don't see much of him between the planning meeting through retrieval. But I didn't feel neglected. I think he's just wonderful- and after 2 unsuccessful IVF cycles the fact that I still like him is pretty great, I think! ;)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Michael Mersol-Barg used in your cycles at Michigan Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IUI- started with femara, added injectable Bravelle to up responses, 1 big follicle, BFN. IVF 1- 75 bravelle/ 75 menopur for I think 8 days, 10 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized normally, had 2 morulas on day 5 ad transferred them both- BFN. IVF 2- 150 bravelle/ 75 menopur for 8 days, 20 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 frozen and 8 fertilized. Of those 8, 5 fertilized normally, 2 made it to day 5 an AA and an AB grade, transferred both, BFN. (Next cycle is donor sperm at our request)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Donna is the most wonderful woman, and Chris the phlebotomist is hilarious. Many of the staff were treated by Dr MB and are very open about it. I haven't had a single bad experience with them in the 1.5 years I've been seeing Dr MB
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Mersol-Barg at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Planning meeting- $300 Monitoring with US and bloodworm are around $150 each I think? IUI procedure is about $200 IVF (the retrieval, transfer, ICSI, assisted hatch, embryologist fees etc) was over $8000 They don't sell meds. $40 extra fee for monitoring or procedure appointments on weekends and holidays. $700 cycle management fee for IVF $300 cycle manage my fee for IUI I think $1200 cycle management fee for IVF with frozen sperm and eggs
2014 - 2016, Successful
we found we were very comfortable with Dr. Mersol-Barg. He was very compassionate and understanding and never made us feel uncomfortable or gave us false hope. There was never any pressure to do more than what was necessary. He explained everything well and clearly...We were always treated like family and Dr. Mersol-Barg was always very sensitive to our feelings as well as the financial strain this process could take... Once you meet with him, you'll know why he is so loved.
[The nurses at Michigan Reproductive Medicine were] Absolutely amazing...Couldn't ask for a better team. Even during our miscarriage, the level of sensitivity was so high. They really and truly cared for us and our success...Beautiful clinic...it is nice that it is a comfortable place to be. Hours were good and they were very accommodating to our work schedules...We were always treated like family and Dr. Mersol-Barg was always very sensitive to our feelings as well as the financial strain this process could take. There was never any pressure to do anything more than we could afford or any quicker than we were ready to.
Going through infertility was never something I even considered as a possibility. When we finally reached the point that we knew we needed to do something, we found we were very comfortable with Dr. Mersol-Barg. He was very compassionate and understanding and never made us feel uncomfortable or gave us false hope. There was never any pressure to do more than what was necessary. He explained everything well and clearly.
Meet with him and ask any and all questions you might have. Once you meet with him, you'll know why he is so loved.
I have PCOS so getting my eggs to be fully mature and release was the issue. I was put on femara and ovidrel and a 2 step IUI process. We had 4 attempts. My body responded well to the medicine each time. First attempt - negative. 2nd - missed miscarriage (chromosomal issue). 3rd - negative. This was normally where the recommendations may have changed as to considering IVF however since we knew my body responded well to the medicine and this was likely our last attempt (due to finances and emotional strain) we did a 4th IUI attempt with same protocol - got pregnant with twin girls who are healthy 9 month olds now.
Absolutely amazing and seeet angels. Couldn't ask for a better team. Even during our miscarriage, the level of sensitivity was so high. They really and truly cared for us and our success.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Beautiful clinic. Obviously not somewhere that you would ever really want to spend a lot of time at, but since going through all of the testing and procedures often means a lot of visits, it is nice that it is a comfortable place to be. Hours were good and they were very accommodating to our work schedules.
Some of the testing was able to be ran under insurance. I remember $20 blood tests and some additional charges. Can't remember exact totals but I think they were around what we would have imagined paying.
Describe Michael Mersol-Barg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
We didn't do IVF at all but I do know that with us, the goal was one healthy baby.
Bloomfield Hills
After our initial testing I was advised [by Dr. Micheal Mersol-Barg] that my egg reserve was low but I wanted to try IVF with my own eggs first...unfortunately the eggs did not survive the fertilization process. Dr. Mersol-Barg called me himself...Our next step was egg donor. That decision was not easy but one that I am happy we chose. With this I didn't have any shots to take. I just had estrodal and progesterone vaginal inserts for 10 weeks. We implanted two embryos and I am happily pregnant with 1.
I like that everything that you needed to get done was there at their office [Michigan Reproductive Medicine]. Every procedure, ultrasound and blood work. Very convenient...All of the nursing staff is compassionate about their job. They are real sincere, I always felt welcomed not like I was getting in their way or causing them an inconvenience...Fertility treatments are not cheap but I find that Dr. Mersol-Barg's office charges about the going rate for these types of costs.
Dr. Mersol-Barg is very passionate about his job sometimes I felt like he looked at me with sad eyes but it was because he could relate to what I was going through. That was just when I got bad news. He cares about his profession. He doesn't see you as a number, he sees you as someone needing help to achieve their goal in becoming parents. I never felt like I was taking up too much of his time or that he was in a hurry to see the next patient. He is the best doctor I have ever seen and I would highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for a fertility clinic.
If you want a doctor who is passionate about their job and cares about you as a patient, I would set up an appointment with Dr. Michael Mersol-Barg.
Dr. Mersol-Barg and his staff were very nice every time I came in or called. Very pleasant and very compassionate. I enjoyed going to their office and I miss seeing them all.
After our initial testing I was advised that my egg reserve was low but I wanted to try IVF with my own eggs first. I went through the shots and the egg retrieval but unfortunately the eggs did not survive the fertilization process. Dr. Mersol-Barg called me himself and waited for me to finish crying before saying another word. He made sure I was ready to talk before telling me our next move. Our next step was egg donor. That decision was not easy but one that I am happy we chose. With this I didn't have any shots to take. I just had estrodal and progesterone vaginal inserts for 10 weeks. We implanted two embryos and I am happily pregnant with 1.
Every time I went into the office they were always pleasant. All of the nursing staff is compassionate about their job. They are real sincere, I always felt welcomed not like I was getting in their way or causing them an inconvenience.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I like that everything that you needed to get done was there at their office. Every procedure, ultrasound and blood work. Very convenient.
The most expensive part was the medications when I was doing the shots. Fertility treatments are not cheap but I find that Dr. Mersol-Barg's office charges about the going rate for these types of costs.
Bloomfield Hills
The day I went in my first beta test following IVF, Dr. Mersol-barg called with his entire staff [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] and announced together over speaker phone, "You're PREGNANT!" It was such a special moment, I'll never forget it. Dr. Mersol-Barg also took a video of our 9.5 week ultrasound and the heartbeat on his personal phone and sent it to us. Mersol- Barg put me on the short protocol with no birth control or lupron prior to IVF cycle. He believed in the "less is more" philosophy for my scenario. I was prescribed 225mg? of Gonal F and 75mg of Menopur to stimulate egg production. He also prescribed Cetrotide for 5 days leading up to my retrieval to avoid premature ovulation . I triggered with Ovidrel. I used Crinone as a progesterone supplement for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy
You're in good hands. Trust in Dr. Mersol-Barg's knowledge and experience and there's a good chance you'll be meeting your miracle soon!
Dr. Mersol-barg took the time to explain everything thoroughly with us. He was very caring and supportive and gave me a big hug every visit! The nurses and office staff at MIchigan Reproductive were extremely friendly and helpful. The day I went in my first beta test following IVF, Dr. Mersol-barg called with his entire staff and announced together over speaker phone, "You're PREGNANT!" It was such a special moment, I'll never forget it. Dr. Mersol-Barg also took a video of our 9.5 week ultrasound and the heartbeat on his personal phone and sent it to us. When we graduated from his practice the staff sent us off with preggo magazines and an inscribed baby spoon as a gift. There were so many personalized little touches that Michigan Reproductive Medicine did that made feel cared for as a special person.
Mersol- Barg put me on the short protocol with no birth control or lupron prior to IVF cycle. He believed in the "less is more" philosophy for my scenario. I was prescribed 225mg? of Gonal F and 75mg of Menopur to stimulate egg production. He also prescribed Cetrotide for 5 days leading up to my retrieval to avoid premature ovulation . I triggered with Ovidrel. I used Crinone as a progesterone supplement for the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy.
They were wonderful! Informed and friendly, encouraging and caring! They were always available for questions if I was unsure about something. They had daily meetings at lunch with Mersol-Barg to catch on clients needs, issues and statuses. I liked that there was so much communication and teamwork amoung the staff. They were like a family.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Clean, modern, state of the art equipment all in house for retrieval, ultrasounds, transfer, etc.
Prices were expensive but were layed out up front when meeting with office staff. ARC financing was available for IVF packages so we took advantage of that.

2011 - 2014, Successful
I had two failed IUIs before we decided to move onto IVF. I am a cancer survivor with only one working ovary and in my case, Dr. M-B [Mersol-Barg] took a conservative approach to how many stimulating hormones and the dosage to put me on. I responded well. I didn't have many eggs retrieved, but they were all mature and that's what truly matters. I had a successful fresh IVF cycle with both embryos implanting which ultimately resulted in one live birth. One year later we were back in the office discussed a frozen IVF cycle. One of the two frozen embryos stuck and resulted in another live birth.
We had seamless support from all of the nurses in the clinic [Michigan Reproductive Medicine]. They were always pleasant and quickly returned phone calls to answer questions. They shared encouraging words and shared your highs and lows during the process. The care Dr. M-B provides wouldn't be as good as it is without the skilled nursing team...I never had an issue with monitoring appointments. They've tried it different ways over the years. They've done open hours in the morning from 7-9am. Then they had changed it to assigned times/assigned windows and days to avoid having long waits for patients. Both ways worked fine and I was always able to make it work on time.
Dr. Mersol-Barg is a very intelligent man. He's empathetic and compassionate. He makes eye contact when speaking with you. He speaks slowly and clearly so you can understand him. He's known to offer a hug to patients and he does have a sense of humor that can be defined as quirky. You won't find a friendlier doctor in the infertility world as many are too cerebral, technical and stiff. That is not the case with Dr. Mike.
just go and see him, you won't regret it.
Dr. Mersol-Barg is in this business to help those in need have a family or grow a family. He's extremely smart and well versed in his profession, he's also smart enough to assemble the best team of embryologists, RNs, techs and front office staff to ensure his patients have the best experience they can while going through something as awful as infertility. Before Infertility support groups were a thing, Dr. M-B started a support group for patients and non-patients in the community to come speak about their infertility journey. He genuinely wants his patients to experience parenthood regardless of your sexual orientation or socio-economic status. He and his staff are genuinely happy for your success and equally as devastated for your disappointments in the journey to parenthood. Dr. M-B will take the difficult cases that other clinics won't because they don't want to risk messing up their stats- you don't have to worry about that with Dr. M-B. The high level of communication received during both our fresh and frozen IVF cycles was great. The processes they have in place are also very high-touch and ensure you know what's happening every step of the way. You're encouraged to ask questions throughout the process.
I had two failed IUIs before we decided to move onto IVF. I am a cancer survivor with only one working ovary and in my case, Dr. M-B took a conservative approach to how many stimulating hormones and the dosage to put me on. I responded well. I didn't have many eggs retrieved, but they were all mature and that's what truly matters. I had a successful fresh IVF cycle with both embryos implanting which ultimately resulted in one live birth. One year later we were back in the office discussed a frozen IVF cycle. One of the two frozen embryos stuck and resulted in another live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Pam, Renee, Roberta, Terri, Donna)
We had seamless support from all of the nurses in the clinic. They were always pleasant and quickly returned phone calls to answer questions. They shared encouraging words and shared your highs and lows during the process. The care Dr. M-B provides wouldn't be as good as it is without the skilled nursing team.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is highly integrated with technology which enables patients to see videos about their care, and diagrams and care plans with ease. The clinic has also improved processes to better ensure that patients aren't kept waiting. Appointments run on time and if there happen to be delays they are not long and you are kept updated on the status. They only employ knowledgeable, friendly, helpful people here so it's a positive interaction with everyone. They strive for continual improvement which I view as a fantastic quality to have when in the business of patient care. You're in good hands here.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Our costs associated with our care were within the going rate within the market. We had insurance coverage for ultra-sounds and blood work as well as 50% coverage for infertility medications. The billing department was knowledgeable in the appropriate way to bill for such services. We didn't experience any billing issues. The clinic does offer a percentage of discount in care costs for Firefighter, Police and Teachers which was very much appreciated. They will work with you in spreading the out of pocket cost across several credit cards if you need to pay that way. I never felt judged at all for asking any financial questions or having to juggle funds around to pay for care.
2014, Successful
Dr. Mersol-Barg was extremely compassionate and, as a patient, I really felt like he wanted the best for me. I was a single person and felt absolutely no judgement from him. The only thing I questioned was when it was time to transfer an embryo, I was told there was only one surviving embryo, and I wondered what had happened to the others since I was told they had been growing ok at the previous discussion. So, I would have liked a little better explanation of their growth arrest.
The clinic staff [MI Repro Med] were very supportive and understanding. They made sure to answer my questions. I always received a call back from the nurse in a timely manner....The staff was great. The only issues I had with the clinic were 1. I would have preferred a total cost of services at the beginning of treatment. Instead, they gave me a bunch of individual costs for services which made it difficult to figure out what the bottom line would be. 2. I had to pay up front before being able to view egg donors
His services are a bit expensive and aren't given as a lump sum, so it's hard to gauge the total cost at onset of treatment. While he is a wonderful doctor and I got pregnant with my first IVF attempt, there are definitely clinics that are more affordable.
The clinic staff were very supportive and understanding. They made sure to answer my questions. I always received a call back from the nurse in a timely manner. They were all very excited when I became pregnant.
The doctor performed a test to check the patency and structure of my Fallopian tubes and uterus. He performed a procedure where he "scratched" the surface of my uterus prior to embryo transfer in order to facilitate implantation. I was also prescribed oral estrogen and vaginal progesterone. The medications were not covered by insurance and were very costly, but the office was able to obtain some samples for me as well as a manufacturers coupon, which helped with cost.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Pam)
The staff was great. The only issues I had with the clinic were 1. I would have preferred a total cost of services at the beginning of treatment. Instead, they gave me a bunch of individual costs for services which made it difficult to figure out what the bottom line would be. 2. I had to pay up front before being able to view egg donors and was concerned I would spend the money and not find one that I liked. Fortunately, I did. I did mention that it would be a nice option to be able to have a picture to keep of the egg donor (this isn't an option), so that my child would have this. I also told the nurse that many clinics now offer the option for donors and donor children to share information once they are 18 years old. I think this is important for donor children and purposely chose a sperm donor with this option. However, this is not an option with the egg bank that Dr. Mersol-Barg uses. I was told the donors do this out of the "goodness of their heart" when I mentioned this, which I believe most do. However, I don't see how that makes any difference in what I had asked for. Children of donors will inevitably have questions about their biological roots, and I believe they should be given the option to know the donors once they reach adulthood, if both parties agree.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
It's conveniently located, private, and the appointments are very timely.
I think it was around $25,000 when it was all said and done, but the costs were assessed as I went and it made it difficult to know total cost.
I think Dr. Mersin-Barg is willing to individualize treatments based on patient's needs. I was a single woman with limited income and was concerned about having multiples. Thus, he recommended only transferring one embryo. I decided on my own (the doctor offered it as an option) to do chromosomal testing of the embryos prior to transfer, which I believe improved my chances of successful healthy pregnancy because one of the two embryos tested had a chromosomal abnormality that isn't compatible with life. Had I not done the testing and they opted to transfer the other embryo, I would have either not become pregnant or would have miscarried.

2005 - 2012, Successful
IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Mersol Barg was almost more upset about my miscarriage than I was. He was patient, kind, compassionate - we had complete trust in his thorough explanations of the issues we were facing and all of our options.... Dr. Mersol-Barg in one appointment, after reviewing our medical records, was able to share that my husband had issues with his sperm count and motility and I had PCOS. He recommended IVF with ICSI and shared that the IUI was not increasing our chances of getting pregnant over normal methods and even the IVF would only increase our chances to 50%
No weaknesses [For MI Reproductive Medicine] - all very positive from the staff, to the operation and flexibility of appointments, to the communication. Also a positive to be able to take care of almost everything within the clinic.... He did have a policy of never putting back more than two embryos. With our 3rd cycle, we had agreed it would be our last try after one miscarriage and one cycle with no pregnancy so we wanted to transfer all four but he would not let us per his "policy". In the end, he was "right" - we had one embryo that worked and shortly after split, resulting in identical twins!
As previously stated, Dr. Mersol-Barg was amazing - compassionate, knowledgeable, personable, concerned, caring. I can not say enough good things about him and have recommended him to others over the years.
Don't wait to see him - if you are struggling to get pregnant and are working with your regular OB-GYM but not making progress, go to see Dr. Mersol Barg right away so you have a better idea of why and what your options are.
After seeing an OB-GYM who claimed to be a fertility specialist and going through multiple rounds of IUI (lost count) with no pregnancies and no good reason as to why we were not getting pregnant, Dr. Mersol-Barg in one appointment, after reviewing our medical records, was able to share that my husband had issues with his sperm count and motility and I had PCOS. He recommended IVF with ICSI and shared that the IUI was not increasing our chances of getting pregnant over normal methods and even the IVF would only increase our chances to 50%. We had been doing chlomid with the IUI but he had us change to something different (Bravelle maybe?) and something for the PCOS including seeing a nutrionist in his office.
Everyone in his clinic was wonderful and they were truly a family with each other and with us!
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
No weaknesses - all very positive from the staff, to the operation and flexibility of appointments, to the communication. Also a positive to be able to take care of almost everything within the clinic.
Approximately $15K per cycle.
Not sure if eSET was available in 2004-2005 when we were going through IVF. He did have a policy of never putting back more than two embryos. With our 3rd cycle, we had agreed it would be our last try after one miscarriage and one cycle with no pregnancy so we wanted to transfer all four but he would not let us per his "policy". In the end, he was "right" - we had one embryo that worked and shortly after split, resulting in identical twins!
2008 - 2012, Successful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr. Michael Mersol-Barg cares deeply for his patients and the infertility journey they are experiencing. He takes as much time as each patient needs. Sometimes, this caring is to his detriment, because his appointments are not always on time. But, when it is you that he is giving the extra attention to, his demeanor is appreciated....One of the most caring doctors I have experienced. He really likes what he does and it shows. He cries with his patients. He cheers with his patients. It was a good experience during a very painful time of my life.
Clinic [MI Repro Med] was warm and cozy. Waiting room was rather uninspiring. During the second cycle, they moved offices. The new offices seemed rather cold...Ultrasound monitoring was done in a cattle call, first come, first serve. However, the wait time was never extraordinary....the nursing staff was wonderful. You felt like part of a team. Everyone treated you like their dear friend, and wanted to get the best outcome possible...I thought that the manner of billing for every little thing appeared to be a money grab.
Take charge of your own fertility. Do your research. Asks questions. He is willing to listen and explain to you why you should or shouldn't pursue a certain course of conduct. It avoids the "what if" questions. Also, always have a plan B. If the first treatment isn't successful, where are you going next.
Started with 3 IUIs, before 2 rounds of IVF. Following a live birth, we did two more rounds of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Roberta)
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic was warm and cozy. Waiting room was rather uninspiring. During the second cycle, they moved offices. The new offices seemed rather cold.
The costs were expensive, but not out of line with what other clinics appeared to be charging. However, I thought that the manner of billing for every little thing appeared to be a money grab.
LGBTQ+

LGBTQ+
Dr. Mersol Barg is an amazing Dr. He is so kind abs supportive. Always makes time for you if needed. Listens and gives feedback and options. Always gives a hug after visiting, just always makes you feel that everything will be okay.... I have done multiple cycles of IUI’s. We did 50 mg of clomed with trigger shot, always got great numbers but no pregnancy. Also did multiple cycles with fermara, in which I got pregnant one of the times but resulted in a missed miscarriage:(
Everyone at Michigan Reproductive Medicine is very kind and supportive.... I don’t have anything bad to say, the clinic is beautiful, and everyone is very kind. They also do support groups for whomever wants to come. I believe they do that once a month. I also appreciated that they had early hrs of 630am to help those that need to work at 8am, like myself. They also have a nurse on call 24 hours, in case of emergency or just questions.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, he is completely understanding and wants to help you achieve your dream.
Everyone at Michigan Reproductive Medicine is very kind and supportive. Dr Mersol Barg is so genuine, he makes you feel like everything will be okay.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Michigan Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Twila)
They were all very sweet and supportive, even when I was not.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I don’t have anything bad to say, the clinic is beautiful, and everyone is very kind. They also do support groups for whomever wants to come. I believe they do that once a month. I also appreciated that they had early hrs of 630am to help those that need to work at 8am, like myself. They also have a nurse on call 24 hours, in case of emergency or just questions. I called a few times after hours. They were always very pleasant as well.
Each IUI was about $450, that’s including the montering, plus cost of trigger shot. I
I have not done IVF yet, but that is my next best option per my Dr. I would like to do multiple embryo transfer as I read better results from doing 2 at a time.
Bloomfield Hills
I felt like a number more than a human because I never saw the doctor.... I really don't know how to describe the doctor [Dr. Mersol-Barg] since we only met him for consultation. During the consultation he was very energetic and made my husband feel at ease with her personality. However, it would have been nice to see the doctor at least once during the 15 times I had to go there for blood, ultra sound, and the actual IUI.
My husband and I like this clinic because it seemed very updated and organized. However, I would say some of the weakness would be how we never saw the doctor, our bills were not clear, and some of the staff could use some sensitivity training. MRM needs to invest in a patient portal where you can also pay your bills online and see your balance.... I had different nurses at different appointments. They were all very nice.
I really don't know how to describe the doctor since we only met him for consultation. During the consultation he was very energetic and made my husband feel at ease with her personality. However, it would have been nice to see the doctor at least once during the 15 times I had to go there for blood, ultra sound, and the actual IUI.
If you are looking to just get pregnant and don't really care to see the doctor much, this is the place for you. If you are doing IVF, I'm sure you see the doctor more because he has to do the procedure, but as far as IUIs go, the nurses do everything.
I felt like a number more than a human because I never saw the doctor. It seemed like it was just procedure and collect money.
I had different nurses at different appointments. They were all very nice.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
We did one round of IUI, and with the medications, injections, co-pays, mock IUI, mock injection, we ended up spending a total of 900 out of pocket because our insurance didn't cover the IUI.
Bloomfield Hills
So far we are doing femera with a trigger shot for 3 cycles and then will move onto iui [with Dr. Mersol-Barg]...Initial waiting period is close to 2 months out but he is well worth the wait. He takes his time and makes sure that everyone is on the same schedule for the treatments needed...is also very calming and nurturing and always strives to give hope and positivity...Provides a detailed consultation where he combs through your medical history. He wasnt satisfied with some of my results and suspected i had been misdiagnosed with pcos and after running his own tests that were much more detailed he indeed confirmed i was misdiagnosed. It had been 10 years of incorrect treatment for a condition i didnt have. Very knowledgeable and takes the time to explain procedures and concepts.
Caring staff [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] that is attentive and make you feel more relaxed in a high anxiety time in ones life. Answer questions in a timely manner and are always honest and candid...[nurses are] Very attentive and will respond to questions and concerns promptly...Its initially a shock of how much it will cost but the checkout girls help you navigate your insurance and give estimates...Initial waiting period is close to 2 months out but he is well worth the wait. He takes his time and makes sure that everyone is on the same schedule for the treatments needed. Have weekend and holiday appointments available
Stay calm and relax and to trust the process and although you may want to rush every test, step and waiting period are neccessary
Caring staff that is attentive and make you feel more relaxed in a high anxiety time in ones life. Answer questions in a timely manner and are always honest and candid. Dr. M is also very calming and nurturing and always strives to give hope and positivity
So far we are doing femera with a trigger shot for 3 cycles and then will move onto iui.
Very attentive and will respond to questions and concerns promptly.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I have not gotten this far in treatments yet

2011 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Mersol-Barg does anything and everything he can to make sure that you know what you are getting into. He takes a very “head-on”, blunt approach in the most compassionate manner. When my follicles were not growing as quickly as they should, he told me all about hcg and had me go through quock training to learn how to administer it.... He took 2-3 hours to understand my needs and to talk me through the entire process, answering any questions along the way. He was compassionate and understanding and very knowledgable.
The clinic [MI Reproductive Med-Bloomfield Hills] is easy to access and what makes things a lot easier is Dr. Mersol-Barg’s onsite labs. Everything is accesible on site making the process and traveling a lot easier on you. We loved how easy it was to get bloodwork, semen analysis and nutritional consultations done “in house”.... The nurses are so sweet and understanding. The fertility process is such an emotional journey amd having a staff such as Dr. Mersol-Barg’s makes all the difference.
Go there ready to learn more about yourself and your body than you’ve ever known before.
From the initial consultation, I knew Dr. Mersol-Barg was the best choice for me. He took 2-3 hours to understand my needs and to talk me through the entire process, answering any questions along the way. He was compassionate and understanding and very knowledgable.
IUI with timed intercourse. We used femara, hcg injections and Ovidrel because my PCOS I was not ovulating on my own. Prior to treatment, Dr. Mersol-Barg also treated my endometriosis with a laparascopy and removed any adhesions that were causing me Pain and issues.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is easy to access and what makes things a lot easier is Dr. Mersol-Barg’s onsite labs. Everything is accesible on site making the process and traveling a lot easier on you. We loved how easy it was to get bloodwork, semen analysis and nutritional consultations done “in house”.
Bloomfield Hills

He [Dr. Michael Merson-Barg] was very kind and took his time to explain things to me, he didn't rush and was interested in my concerns & questions...Every appointment that I had was a great appointment he was concerned about my health and my future treatments...he talked to my husband's about his concerns if he felt that the treatment was not right for me he would regulate it and see what was best for us. I would recommend him to anyone
I was first prescribed letrozole 5mg, which caused me to produce to many mature follicles, so I was informed to cancel my first cycle and try a lower dose my next cycle [at Michigan Reproductive Medicine]. I Also had to do a trigger shot of Ovidrel...[nurses were] Very friendly and showed Compassion and also informative...I didn't have to wait more than 10mins, to be called to the back for my appointment, the clinic is warm and inviting. Everyone from the receptionists, phlebotomist was friendly. The patient rooms are clean and well stocked with everything that you may need during your appointment.
Every appointment that I had was a great appointment he was concerned about my health and my future treatments. He never rushed he spent time with us, he talked to my husband's about his concerns if he felt that the treatment was not right for me he would regulate it and see what was best for us. I would recommend him to anyone
He treats you like family.
He was very kind and took his time to explain things to me, he didn't rush and was interested in my concerns & questions
I was first prescribed letrozole 5mg, which caused me to produce to many mature follicles, so I was informed to cancel my first cycle and try a lower dose my next cycle. I Also had to do a trigger shot of Ovidrel
Very friendly and showed Compassion and also informative
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
everything was perfect, I didn't have to wait more than 10mins, to be called to the back for my appointment, the clinic is warm and inviting. Everyone from the receptionists, phlebotomist was friendly. The patient rooms are clean and well stocked with everything that you may need during your appointment.
Bloomfield Hills

He [Dr. Mersol-Barg] spoke clearly and calmly. He wanted to make sure we understood every point he made before moving on topics. His background in OB GYN also made us feel his strengths. He has good wisdom and character.... His caring attitude was very comforting. His professionalism was also comforting. The office was like a breath of fresh air from the prior place we had underwent IVF and had a calming demeanor.
The office [Michigan Reproductive Medicine] was like a breath of fresh air... There is a station for every bit of steps. You’ll see a nurse to take your vitals and return to waiting room. Something my previous doctor never did was vitals. You’ll see doctor, then a nurse then payment station. Well oiled machine. And wide open waiting room with sofas chairs coffee tv magazines and windows of the beautiful outside greenery.... Very professional and helpful.
He spoke clearly and calmly. He wanted to make sure we understood every point he made before moving on topics. His background in OB GYN also made us feel his strengths. He has good wisdom and character.
Try to engage in a calming activity before arrival. Leave early and just read and relax while you wait.
His caring attitude was very comforting. His professionalism was also comforting. The office was like a breath of fresh air from the prior place we had underwent IVF and had a calming demeanor. We didn’t have to ask questions because our answers were given to us (no guessing on what things meant due to online log in profile)
Very professional and helpful. Warm hearted proficient nursing staff.
Average cost for IVF

2015 - 2017, Successful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr. Mersol Barg is a truly compassionate Dr. who is very talented. You can tell this is his calling. He is knowledgeable and takes time to talk to you in a caring way. He wants to make sure you are comfortable with the course of action...literally we felt like they were invested in this along with us the whole way!! They truly care and are in this fir the right reasons!..They do a really good job of helping you understand the cycle protocols.
very nice atmosphere and location! Love everything about the clinic [MI Repro Med]...I would say be clearer about how much the medications cost. We had no idea the medications would be so much more above and beyond the cycle cost. Also there are ways to save substantial money on the medications, if they could be more informative with alerting people to look into that, that would be helpful, the cycles can be overwhelming at first.
Possibly at times be more direct or clinical about statistical advice with how to move forward.
They do a really good job of helping you understand the cycle protocols. I would say be clearer about how much the medications cost. We had no idea the medications would be so much more above and beyond the cycle cost. Also there are ways to save substantial money on the medications, if they could be more informative with alerting people to look into that, that would be helpful, the cycles can be overwhelming at first. they are always there to help if needed
very compassionate and caring. I feel like they truly all care about my husband and me.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
very nice atmosphere and location! Love everything about the clinic
after reviewing another clinic they were very fair

2014 - 2016, Successful
IUI With Other Docs
He [Dr. Michael Mersol-Barg] is extremely compassionate and goes through the positive and negative emotions with you and really wants you to have success and is genuine.... PCOS protocol for IVF: antagonist protocol with FSH drugs (i.e. Bravelle or Gonal-F and Menopur) with antagonist Ganirelix added once follicles got to certain size and then trigger and egg retrieval. Did ICSI and PGS and ended up banking PGS embryos to prepare for frozen transfer. Frozen transfer protocol with oral estrogen and vaginal progesterone.
Their [Michigan Reproductive Medicine] prices are a bit high but it correlates to the level of care you receive. Every person there treats you as they would a member of their own family.... Approximately 8000-9000 plus cost of PGS not including transfer fee... They [the nurses] are wonderful, caring, knowledgable and compassionate.... Trust in the people who are caring for you but never be afraid to ask questions and always advocate for your care if you are unsure about anything.
He's an exceptional physician, very intelligent and very open to answer questions and for you to give input on your treatment. He works with you and considers it a team effort. He is very compassionate and supportive.
He is extremely compassionate and goes through the positive and negative emotions with you and really wants you to have success and is genuine.
They are wonderful, caring, knowledgable and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Their prices are a bit high but it correlates to the level of care you receive. Every person there treats you as they would a member of their own family.
Approximately 8000-9000 plus cost of PGS not including transfer fee
My doctor prefers eSET for the decreased risk of complications to mother and baby.

2016 - 2020, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Mersol-Barg] is very open and genuine. He is warm and compassionate. Always comes first to talk to you and then starts procedure. Knows what he is doing and has great experience. He runs a support group free of charge...I would have liked multiple transfer. They only do single...[treated as human, not number] Just the way he spoke, how he hugged you, smiled at you, took time
The [Michigan Reproductive Medicine] free support group is great and so helpful. The portal is a plus to get info quickly. The office is very clean. They try to help when one comes to them All friendly and warm.try to make this a fun experience...I wish they [nurses] would have been giving me a better overview of what’s coming...15000 for a cycle with some insurance
He is very open and genuine. He is warm and compassionate. Always comes first to talk to you and then starts procedure. Knows what he is doing and has great experience. He runs a support group free of charge
Check him out
Just the way he spoke, how he hugged you, smiled at you, took time
Clomid for hubby. Normal protocol for me
I wish they would have been giving me a better overview of what’s coming. I needed to make sure everything was done when it came to the second round, else they would have overlooked something. Otherwise they are caring and compassionate
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
The free support group is great and so helpful. The portal is a plus to get info quickly. The office is very clean. They try to help when one comes to them All friendly and warm.try to make this a fun experience.
15000 for a cycle with some insurance
I would have liked multiple transfer. They only do single
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Test to happen kn previous cycle wasn’t schedule and set us back. I had to call multiple times on a prescription order
2011 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Mersol-Barg is very warm and caring....Because of our circumstances, Dr. M-B suggested we go straight to IUI. He was very upfront that he only likes to do it 3 times and depending on the results move on to other treatments or try IUI again...The nursing staff is friendly, helpful and great at getting back with you on questions...There is a cycle management fee paid on your first cycle visit that is not covered by insurance. You are also responsible for a co-pay for each ultrasound and blood work visit in addition to the cycle management fee.
Dr. Mersol-Barg [of Michigan Reproductive Medicine] is very warm and caring....Because of our circumstances, Dr. M-B suggested we go straight to IUI. He was very upfront that he only likes to do it 3 times and depending on the results move on to other treatments or try IUI again...The nursing staff is friendly, helpful and great at getting back with you on questions...There is a cycle management fee paid on your first cycle visit that is not covered by insurance. You are also responsible for a co-pay for each ultrasound and blood work visit in addition to the cycle management fee.
Dr. Mersol-Barg is very warm and caring. He loves babies! The only draw back is that sometimes he can be a bit cheesy.
He's cheesy.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
All treatments are done in the same building.

2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
He is very smart and thorough. He is also very compassionate... It is a very caring clinic where they treat you like family.
It is a very caring clinic where they treat you like family.
He is very smart and thorough. He is also very compassionate.
Ask questions, and know that any testing that need to be done is in order to better prepare for a cycle.
It is a very caring clinic where they treat you like family.
Very attentive and informative and caring.
Bloomfield Hills
They [the staff at Michigan Reproductive Medicine] are an all around great team. The whole staff goes above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. From the physician to the nurses to the front desk staff...I was given a diagnosis of PCOS at my consultation appointment. I was immediately set up with a dietitian and started on metformin and a low carb high protein diet. After a month I was started on femara and ovidril. I was pregnant on my third cycle.
Dr Mersol-Barg was the second fertility specialist that we had seen in the 2 and half years of trying to conceive. We were starting to lose hope that it would ever happen for us. At our consultation appointment, he spent around 2 hours with us explaining the basics to us. I was able to bring in lab results from my previous specialist who had recently retired. In that first consultation Dr Mersol- Barg was able to give me a new diagnosis off of the labs that I had completed at the other doctors office. I was shocked to say the least, that after months at the other office the diagnosis was never brought up. We were given a plan and within 3 months we were pregnant. I am incredibly grateful to all the hard work that was done by dr Mersol-Barg and the staff at his office. They truly are the A- Team.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
They are an all around great team. The whole staff goes above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. From the physician to the nurses to the front desk staff.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Mersol Barg is knowledgeable, honest about expectations and incredibly caring. He walked us through every step of the way and personally called me to let us know that our one embryo was abnormal. He stayed on the phone with me and made sure I was okay. I appreciate how much he cares for his patients!... Dr.Mersol Barg is the most sensitive and kind Doctor I have ever worked with. I felt as if he treated me like he was his own daughter, very caring and understanding of the emotional situation.
This clinic [Michigan Reproductive Medicine- Bloomfield Hills] seems very up to date as far as technology and services offered. The office itself is clean and modern, almost looks spa like! The patient portal is helpful and keeps communication very streamlined.... All of the nurses I’ve worked with here are incredibly nice and compassionate. They communicate clearly and promptly!... The only issue we had was that a nurse had forgotten to order a blood test for my husband.
With any Doctor, be sure you are comfortable with the procedures they are recommending, also it’s important that you leave the office with honest expectations, but not so clinically explained that you just feel like a number.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic seems very up to date as far as technology and services offered. The office itself is clean and modern, almost looks spa like! The patient portal is helpful and keeps communication very streamlined.

2013 - 2018, Successful
Dr. Mersol Barg takes the time to make sure you understand whats going on. i appreciate his ability to speak in terms we understand.... we have seen dr mersol barg over the course of 6 years. we took a break from our journey to focus on each other. when we were ready to get back to it, he brought up our last results and compared them to now. he didn't make us feel guilty for taking time off .
overall they [the clinic staff at MI Reproductive Med-Bloomfield Hills] are on the same page as the rest of the office, so you dont have to repeat your situation which is very helpful. very kind and willing to explain. which is helpful. it helps make the process seem less stressful when the whole office makes it noticeable that they care about you as a patient.
dont get upset if it takes a while to get an appointment. his compassion, care and understanding is totally worth the wait.
currently taking metformin, then flomara to prepare for ivf with icsi.
they are just as caring and compassionate as dr mersol barg.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
overall they are on the same page as the rest of the office, so you dont have to repeat your situation which is very helpful. very kind and willing to explain. which is helpful. it helps make the process seem less stressful when the whole office makes it noticeable that they care about you as a patient.
still going through treatments
IUI With Other Docs
[Dr. Mersol-Barg was] Very sensitive and empathetic. Always clear and willing to answer any questions via email, phone or in person. Never felt pressured to perform any kind of procedure, but was focused on the patient needs and desire....Everyone in the clinic [Michigan Repro Med] is topnotch and we always felt understood and well educated about procedures and also the involved finances. The clinic team is very compassionate and cares about the success of each patient.
Everyone in the clinic [Michigan Repro Med] is topnotch and we always felt understood and well educated about procedures and also the involved finances. The clinic team is very compassionate and cares about the success of each patient....[Dr. Mersol-Barg was] Very sensitive and empathetic. Always clear and willing to answer any questions via email, phone or in person. Never felt pressured to perform any kind of procedure, but was focused on the patient needs and desire
Ask many questions and inform yourself upfront.
Very sensitive and empathetic.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone in the clinic is topnotch and we always felt understood and well educated about procedures and also the involved finances. The clinic team is very compassionate and cares about the success of each patient.
Bloomfield Hills

Dr. Mersol-Barg is such a wonderful yet smart doctor. he was able to pinpoint my issue when other doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. i would go to him again and again- with every chance that i want to get pregnant again.... This Doctor was able to pinpoint the issue when other doctors couldn't. I believe he's very personable with his patients, listens, and has good bedside manner.... clinic [Michigan Reproductive Medicine] does not have weaknesses clinic staff are very well trained to provide care/services to their patients. all staff is quick to respond with any email i send or question i have over the phone
clinic [Michigan Reproductive Medicine] does not have weaknesses clinic staff are very well trained to provide care/services to their patients. all staff is quick to respond with any email i send or question i have over the phone. would highly recommend to any new patient... no weaknesses for nursing staff. they work together very well and are great with all their patients... This Doctor was able to pinpoint the issue when other doctors couldn't. I believe he's very personable with his patients, listens, and has good bedside manner.
to relax and just enjoy the journey. let Dr. Mersol-Barg handle the rest
i honestly cannot remember. this was one year ago
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
clinic does not have weaknesses clinic staff are very well trained to provide care/services to their patients. all staff is quick to respond with any email i send or question i have over the phone. would highly recommend to any new patient
i do not remember
not applicable
Bloomfield Hills

Dr Mersol-Barg is very friendly and supportive. He was very thorough in explaining the process and answering our questions. He was reassuring furing all of our procedures. I always felt like I was in good hands.... We did 3 cycles of IUI and then when they didn’t work he recommended IVF with ICSI. We took some time off from treatment for personal reason and to decide if we wanted to do IVF. Our insurance didn’t cover much so it would be mostly out of pocket. When we did decide to move forward with IVF we discussed doing PGS. We decided to do PGS to give us the best possible chances.
The office staff [at MI Reproductive Med] is very good at helping you when you want info on billing or account statements. The nurses and phlebotomy staff are excellent. Dr Mersol-Barg is warm and friendly. Dr Singh is thorough and competent. The clinic holds a support group, offers appointments with a dietician, Reiki treatment, and acupuncture.... Overall our costs out of pocket for IUI and IVF was probably close to $25-30000
Expect him to want to hug you and know how you are really doing.
Dr Mersol-Barg is very friendly and took lots of time explaining things and anawering our questions.
We had a misunderstanding when it came time to do the retrieval but wverything was worked out quickly and treatment was not delayed. Other than that the nursing staff was awesome. They answered all of my questions quickly and calmed me when I was scared.
Describe your experience with Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
I’ve never been to another clinic so I have no comparison. The office staff is very good at helping you when you want info on billing or account statements. The nurses and phlebotomy staff are excellent. Dr Mersol-Barg is warm and friendly. Dr Singh is thorough and competent. The clinic holds a support group, offers appointments with a dietician, Reiki treatment, and acupuncture.
Overall our costs out of pocket for IUI and IVF was probably close to $25-30000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Michigan Reproductive Medicine.
We just weren’t told with advance notice when to call to have sperm sample sent over. The sperm bank required a week notification and we weren’t told to call them until 3 or 4 days before n eded. Thankfully the sperm bank works regularly with the clinic and everything was worked out and delivered on time.