Medical SchoolU. of Tennessee
North Charleston
9225 University Boulevard
North Charleston, SC 29406
843) 972-9444
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Slowey to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?
I like that Dr. Slowey is very matter of fact. But his one-on-one meetings sound rehearsed rather than personalized. Once we got to the very end of the meeting before he realized he had the wrong person's information page up on his computer. There is very little interaction with him -initial consult and after treatment failures are the only time you will talk to him. There is no effort made to let you know if he will not be the one there to perform your procedure himself. Out of all the procedures I've had done, he only has done one of them himself - otherwise, I've seen the other doctors from the practice.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I always came away with the impression that Dr. Slowey is extremely knowledgeable in the field of fertility. I trust him with my care. I like that he is conservative in his approach and very well-informed. But the level of personalized care you receive from him leaves a lot to be desired. You rarely see or talk to him, and when you do, it is rushed and seems like he is rushing through your allotted time so he can move along to the next thing he has to do that day.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
If you are looking for personalized, in-depth conversations and emotional guidance during your fertility treatment , this is probably not the right doctor for you. If you are more interested in no-nonsense, get-to-the point, knowledge and protocol-centered experience, then Dr. Slowey is a good choice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison)
The nurses are the best part of this facility.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is organized and well-run. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for my appointments. It is clean, quiet and the staff get along well (or at least they appear to do so). There is a financial consultant on staff to help with financial concerns as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Close to $40k for 8 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, and 2 rounds of IVF under the Atain insurance program (including monitoring and meds)
Describe Michael Slowey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Dr. Slowey is very conservative. He will suggest single transfer unless you have unique circumstances.
Mount Pleasant
If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey.... Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
At first Dr. Slowey did not seem to show much empathy but as our appointment went on and the discussion of not being able to afford IVF came up how personality shifted. He showed compassion and explained that he knew what it felt like to be in our position. He seems To be incredibly knowledgeable and was able to answer every question we had. Although we have only had one appointment thus far, we are looking forward to our appointments in April and hopefully starting the IVF process then as well. Dr. Slowey made us genuinely feel as though he wanted us to start our family as much as we do ourselves.
If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey. Very frustrating wait but I can appreciate covering all of the bases.
Dr. Slowey was pretty blunt with us to begin with and at first we felt like a number. He didn’t seem to show much empathy of the fact that we wanted to try IUI but it just wasn’t an option according to their clinic. Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it. He also waived another fee for one of the tests for us. We realized then that we were not just another number to him, but two people he felt like he can help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
My care coordinator is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
As a new patient myself, only having one in clinic visit so far, I only have great things to say. Check in was easy and quick, we were called back within ten minutes of arriving, we never felt uncomfortable. The doctor and clinic were generous enough to waive the freeze fee for us since it was an unexpected decision. I truly have nothing negative to say so far, I hope it stays that way!
Initial visit, intrauterine ultrasound, semen analysis, all lab work, all covered by insurance. $400 for anesthesia for egg retrieval. Approx $11,800 for ivf with ICSI. $3,250 for embryo biopsy and PGD/PGS testing. We do not have a cost for medications yet as we are still awaiting for other test results.
North Charleston
He [Dr. Micheal Slowey] was very direct and helpful...effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October...First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked...The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was direct and effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October. The clinic was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing.
Train your head nurse to be more empathetic.
He was very direct and helpful, my only complaint was the nurse I had for the entire process. She wasn’t the kindest and made me not comfortable. This was a lot of money and hope and many other feelings and she wasn’t very sensitive to that. It could of been a much better experience.
Describe the protocols Michael Slowey used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked. I did have to travel further for that procedure. The experience was good though, minus having to have a catheter put in. The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that. Then I was on medication and shots. I got my blood drawn and ultrasound every 3 days to make sure my follicles were growing. Then I was instructed to use a trigger shot. There was a storm and the head nurse told me they wouldn’t be able to do my iui if the hurricane hit. That we would have to try again. So I ovulated a day early without the trigger shot and just had intercourse instead of the iui and we got lucky.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather Clayton)
She made me feel ridiculous for having concerns. We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
So wonderful, I went to both of their clinics and they are clean and professional and wonderful. The Lexington clinic is a little far out for me as well as Charleston but worth it. The waiting rooms weren’t cold and uncomfortable either .
I truly don’t remember it was a couple thousand and then meds were 200-300$ I was suppose to get iui which was another thousand but didn’t end up needing it.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he [Dr. Michael Slowey] will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is compassionate and no nonsense. He deals in facts and science, but will also tell you what he doesn't know (and there is a lot the doctors do not know in infertility!). He is not "touchy-feely", but yet is very kind and gentle. We were always getting new bad news (not their fault, just facts) and he never hid from telling us the truth, yet told us gently. He's a great doctor, has a tremendous amount of experience and cares about his patients.
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
The care I received was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope.
600 IU Ubiquinol for 3 months before starting. IVF 1: micro flare (short Lupron) protocol started with birth control pills Results: suppression did not work, "broke through" Lupron. Cycle cancelled. IVF 2: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide No birth control given (too strong) - used Estrace before stims instead. Results: 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of 3 embryos (4th arrested on Day 4). Positive pregnancy - saw heartbeat - miscarriage at 9 weeks IVF 3: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide (same as #2) Results: 5 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. Day 5 transfer of 3 Morulas (no blastocytes). Remaining 2 arrested Day 5. Negative pregnancy
The staff was amazing. The followed us on all the ups and downs, cheering us on (discreetly), and being especially sweet when things did not go well. They were always gentle and upbeat. Kelly was a fantastic communicator, always giving me the info when she said she would. I never had to wait. She knew I liked more info, so made sure to provide me with what I wanted to know. No question was too little. She knew our case well, and made sure we got everything we needed.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Since we were (probably) going to be spending the equivalent of a fancy sports car, it seemed only fair that the services and care should be on par, don't you think? Coastal Fertility excels here. We had been to a well known clinic in NY, in a depressing building, with a creepy waiting room. It was cold and scary. The doctor (highly rated by some) was the opposite of compassion. You could tell it was just a business for them. Not so at Coastal. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Monitoring was easy and as pleasant as it is ever going to be. We were told to show up in a time frame (for example, between 7:30 and 9am). Once we were there, we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, if that. It seems that they would know in advance their busy times, and if they needed more time with us, would give us a specific time. Monitoring was really efficient.
Drugs were about $6k, and each round of IVF was about 13k. We were a difficult case, with a lot of monitoring.
Mount Pleasant
Dr Slowey is incredibly smart and explained things to my husband and I very clearly. Whenever he saw us he took his time and was compassionate. When we got pregnant after four rounds, he gave us a book with a message in it that meant a lot to my husband and I.... I have pcos and clomid, nor Femera were making me ovulate so we went straight to injectables. I was monitored by ultra sound and blood work every other day and then given a trigger shot to make me ovulate. We did timed intercourse the month that we conceived.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
That the wait time is worth it. Be patient, and know that you are in excellent hands.
I had frequent contact with Dr Sloweys staff and I felt like we were all in the same team. The day I had my firs ultra sound to confirm my pregnancy the ultra sound tech was crying happy tears with me. When I was ten weeks along and graduating to my regular obgyn, Dr Slowey gave me a Children’s book with a message of congratulations written in it. It meant a lot to us. I Highly recommend this clinic.
Kelly did a great job at being compassionate. I had to following up repeatedly on treatment with her but understood from the beginning that it was my responsibility to do so.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.
My insurance didn’t cover any of our procedures so we paid about 10,000 out of pocket in the four months we saw him.
What specific things went wrong at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Mount Pleasant
During my first IUI [with Dr. Michael Slowey] we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test... did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was a very kind and professional doctor. I only met with him a few times but each time he made sure I understood anything I needed to know and answered any questions I had. He was very thorough in explaining the options we had and our diagnosis.
Make sure to write down any questions or concerns you may have to ask Dr. Slowey during your appointment. No question is a stupid one!
Dr. Slowey did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
During my first IUI we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison )
My nurse was very helpful and friendly during the few visits I had with her. Unfortunately Kelly was out of town the majority of my time as a patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic provided a calming and inviting atmosphere which is so important! One thing I think they could work on is better communication with their patients. I had very little contact with my nurse coordinator due to her being out of town so frequently.
My insurance covered the monitoring and blood work so I was left to pay for the procedure as well as the medicine. The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350.
What specific things went wrong at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Mount Pleasant
He [Dr. Slowey] spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.... He is a little stand-offish at times but I believe that is cultural difference; i.e., North vs. South. It is also hard to actually meet with him rather than the nurses. I believe that is due to the size and number of branch offices the practice has rather his personal doing. However, he is very compassionate and when meeting, is fully present in the moment with you as a patient.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would tell them to be prepared to rarely see him but trust in his plan for you, barring a major setback.
He spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
Cherub is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic. She makes you feel like you are the only patient she has. However, on an correspondence level, she is horrible. Her emails are blunt, abrupt, and at times very cold. This is a major disconnect for the emotionally vulnerable patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The staff is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.
Lexington
Dr Slowey did take the time to explain things to us in a way we could understand. He also didn’t push us towards more aggressive treatments as he did not feel they were necessary given our situation at that time.... He is very thorough and offered us a lot of help in determining our best treatment plan, in addition to giving us a clearer sense of our time line.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very thorough and offered us a lot of help in determining our best treatment plan, in addition to giving us a clearer sense of our time line. I would recommend him to anyone seeking fertility treatment
Utilize the consultation to address all questions and concerns. We asked some questions that I feel silly about now but he is a great professional and answered them as a credible. He seems to realize these are scary procedures
Polyp removal and iui
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Ribiero)
Very helpful when you could get in touch with her. Very hard to get in touch with at times
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Busy clinic with state of the art equipment. Lab is onsite (I believe). I like the clinic. It was comfortable but it was very busy. At points seemed slightly disorganized with what was going on due to large staff and clinic patient volume
About $2500 per iui cycle
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
We’ve ran every test [with Dr. Slowey] there is on both my husband and I. We’ve done metformin for my PCOS, we’ve done HSGs and injectable medications, and progesterone. I usually get pregnant but don’t stay pregnant...Dr. Slowey does an excellent job of being kind, sensitive, but also informative... Unfortunately reoccuring miscarriages are my issue, but he has been very comforting and kind. What’s left for us is IVF.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey has been very thourough running every test he can think of for my husband and I both. Unfortunately reoccuring miscarriages are my issue, but he has been very comforting and kind. What’s left for us is IVF.
Do not be afraid to ask questions!
We’ve ran every test there is on both my husband and I. We’ve done metformin for my PCOS, we’ve done HSGs and injectable medications, and progesterone. I usually get pregnant but don’t stay pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribeiro )
I like my nurse, she’s very kind, however she doesn’t let me know when she will be out of the office for a while, which is inconvenient when you’re on a time frame.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Overall this is a fabulous clinic, only complaint is when my nurse is away, and doesn’t let me know, or let me know who I should be in contact with if I need them. Everyone is kind, compassionate, and gentle.
My insurance covers the appointments, but treatments are expensive.
Mount Pleasant
IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan [with Dr. Slowey]. He looked at my full health and fertility history...He has very good bedside manner, warm and kind but still very professional and informative. He treated me like a person and not a statistic and explained to me the whole process and why he was doing what he was doing.
IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would just recommend him to anyone. He gave me the reality but also left me with a clear plan of action. I felt informed and hopeful. As I said before, he treats you as a person and not a statistic.
I don't have any.
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan. He looked at my full health and fertility history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
She is awesome! Super personable and like a best friend almost.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Organized, beautiful and clean.
Some of our costs were covered by insurance but we still had out of pocket and we had to pay upfront for all treatment and the portion that was not met by our insurance deductible.
2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Slowey and his team did an excellent job of explaining each and every step to us in full detail and walked us through the entire process from start to finish. Everyone in the office knew our names and we're very friendly and knowledgeable.
2012 - 2015