Medical SchoolU. of Tennessee
North Charleston
9225 University Boulevard
North Charleston, SC 29406
843) 972-9444
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Slowey to a friend?

6.5

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
We discussed the concerns of doing two embryos but felt with my test results two was the best. He [Dr. Michael Slowey] was very good about really looking and talking through this choice...always had time to answer my questions. He never rushed us through. He was very thorough in explaining what was going on and what we would do. He was straight forward, which I liked because I wanted to know the facts and not have a false hope or vision.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is incredibly knowledgeable and very thorough. He does talk quickly sometimes but will slow down when you ask. He never made me feel like I was bothering him asking questions or wanting to know more. He would talk me through everything he was doing or seeing. He explained every step of the way. He is straight forward and would try to be very compassionate but sometimes his straightforwardness could get in the way. I would definitely go back to Dr.Slowey. Even today after having my girl he is so happy to see us visit the clinic and talks about how things are going.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
If you need someone to hold your hand and talk sweet and soft to you this is not the doctor. If you want someone who is going to talk to give you the facts and be straightforward this is the doctor for you. Also never be afraid to ask questions! You are not bothering anyone when you do!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey always had time to answer my questions. He never rushed us through. He was very thorough in explaining what was going on and what we would do. He was straight forward, which I liked because I wanted to know the facts and not have a false hope or vision.
Describe the protocols Michael Slowey used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I did a fresh transfer with IVF. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos. I had a live, full term birth in May 2017. Dr. Slowey did say that if I chose to do IVF again he would change some of my protocol because of my lack of response to the medicine during this round. He didn't elaborate on that at the time of the visit. We have not been able to go back to do another round due to money.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
The nurses in the Lexington office were AMAZING. I remember crying on Heather's shoulder for what felt like forever when we lost our first at 8 and half weeks. She was there for every call and made sure I always knew what was going on. Ashley drew my blood and always spoke to me and remembered things specifically about me. The two made you feel like your were best friends or family.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
My clinic was great. They were slightly expensive but about average for South Carolina. They had an office here that could do a lot of the procedures except the retrieval and D and C. That had to be done in Mt.Pleasant. the only downfall is they are very large so sometimes it was tough to get in with a doctor to get started but once you were in it was easy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
For my first consultation I believe the testing and all was around 200 dollars but insurance covered many of the blood tests. The IVF was 12,500. I spent 9500 for medicine. I had 800 in two procedures I had to be put under anesthesia but received some.of that back from insurance. My D and C was covered by insurance. The frozen transfer was 3000 but I was given medicine so I didn't not have to pay for those and I had a little left for insurance for that. All in all after 15000 in insurance we paid just under 18000 for everything, 2 transfers, all testing, monitoring, genetic testing and the D and C.
Describe Michael Slowey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
We discussed the concerns of doing two embryos but felt with my test results two was the best. He was very good about really looking and talking through this choice.
Mount Pleasant

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

Doctor Slowey knows his job and has done a lot of research himself about infertility ... Doctor Slowey is very smart and takes his job seriously. Soon as you consult with him, he is down to business. He wants to get to the issue and get to work. Sometimes this comes off too blunt, but we can appreciate him seriousness. He was very stern on single embryo transfer. ... He is always cordial. ...
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Doctor Slowey knows his job and has done a lot of research himself about infertility. I completely trust his judgement on our treatments. He can be blunt, but wants you to have an honest, realistic opinion. He is always friendly and genuinely mannered.
Be prepared for worst case scenario. He is honest and wants you to be prepared. Ask questions and be understanding. He knows what’s best and is extremely knowledgeable.
Doctor Slowey is very smart and takes his job seriously. Soon as you consult with him, he is down to business. He wants to get to the issue and get to work. Sometimes this comes off too blunt, but we can appreciate him seriousness. He is always cordial.
Doctor Slowey started us off with a low dose for our first IUI treatment which I appreciate. If overdosed, your cycle is likely to be canceled. He upped that dosage for our second IUI cycle and had the clinic monitor us closer. The cycle was perfect, but didn’t work due to our unexplained infertility. He is now suggesting move straight to IVF for sake of time, money, and emotional state which we agree on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribeiro )
Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you. They always make us feel welcome and have a smile on their faces. We are always impressed with the atmosphere and their diligence.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal Fertility is excellent at what they do. Their facility and equipment are very up-to-date and maintained. They are always busy and handle the traffic well. They are organized and prompt with returning calls, messages. We have always had a smooth and enjoyable experience there.
Our insurance doesn’t cover any fertility fees. We have paid out of pocket for every single appointment. Their prices were competitive with our local OB. Appointments were to be paid in full as they were administered in Mt. Pleasant. If we had an appointment in Myrtle Beach we could pay it at our next Mt. Pleasant visit which was convenient for us.
He was very stern on single embryo transfer. He explained due to our young age, healthy records, and no past miscarriages. Transferring 2 embryos can lead to a risky/dangerous pregnancy.
Mount Pleasant

I think Dr. Slowey is a brilliant man. So brilliant that he might ignore or dismiss simplistic items that could improve treatment results. I've had mixed interactions with him ranging from very cold and short to very compassionate. ... I felt so frustrated because I felt like my voice wasn't being heard and we ended up losing all of our precious embryos. ...
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I think Dr. Slowey is a brilliant man. So brilliant that he might ignore or dismiss simplistic items that could improve treatment results. I've had mixed interactions with him ranging from very cold and short to very compassionate. I care more about him getting me pregnant than his bedside manner. But I haven't gotten pregnant yet, so my patience is growing thin.
I would say expect to do things his way in the beginning. I had so many cycles cancelled because he wanted to stick to his protocol. So either be very up front in your initial consultation about wanting an individualized plan or be patient. The problem with being patient though, is that time, money, and precious embryos may be wasted in the process.
In the beginning, we loved Coastal, but as the months dragged on, I think their patient volume increased exponentially. One of my biggest complaints is the amount of times they said something to us that was not accurate because they didn't bother to open my chart and read it. Sometimes it feels like they are trying to get as many scans, labs, and consultations done in one day to make the most amount of money.
IVF 1: Stimming and egg retrieval went well. We got 3 PGS tested normal embryos. The first transfer was cancelled due to my lining not thickening up and we went to transfer (just barely- again, due to lining) the following cycle. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We had a consult with Dr. Slowey following that failed transfer and he gave us the option to have the ERA test done, which we decided to move forward with. The ERA revealed that I was pre receptive which indicated adjustments needed to be made for the following cycle. The second transfer failed, after another two cancelled cycles due to my poor lining. I expressed my concern that I felt the protocol I was on was not working for my body, but he wanted to stick with it. We surprisingly moved directly into our third and final transfer for that round (it was our last embryo) which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I felt so frustrated because I felt like my voice wasn't being heard and we ended up losing all of our precious embryos. In Dr. Slowey's defense, he was going off what the ERA told us and wanted to stick with the protocol that gave us that information. I understand that. IVF 2 & 3: My husband and I met with Dr. Slowey after our final failed transfer to discuss next steps. I was very clear in that consultation that I would not do another round of IVF if it entailed the same thing we did for nearly a year. He completely agreed and apologized profusely for all the time and heartache we wasted in the process. I think perhaps his experience with me as a patient has given him a new perspective on what might work for some, doesn't work for all. We decided to batch our second and third rounds because of my age and so that we could get more embryos to work with. We ended up with a combined 9 embryos, which were PGS tested, and only 5 were normal. Dr. Slowey tried a brand new protocol for my frozen transfer prep which entailed completely different medication than the previous 3 transfers. My lining seemed to respond much better right away! We just had our fourth frozen transfer three days ago, so I'm currently in my "two week wait" to see if this new protocol worked for me or not.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison)
I absolutely love my nurse, Kelly. We are in constant communication and over the last year and a half, she has become like family. She is always in a good mood, friendly, tries her best to say the right things to make us feel better about negative outcomes, and is very responsive to my emails.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I love the girls that work at the front desk. They are super friendly and always joking about how they need to at least name a conference room after my husband and I because we are in there so much. I've even connected with a few of the ladies on instagram- again, these people become like family. I ADORE my ultrasound tech, Sharon. She is so precious, always upbeat and so loving. She is the greatest. The billing department however, could use a major overhaul. I am constantly getting invoice in the mail that were paid months prior, at the time of service. We call them very confused and they say "Oh, its an automated billing system" but it has been happening since we started going there in Early 2017.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I really like the way monitoring is set up. It is every weekday morning between 7 and 9am, so it was very flexible.
Our first round was approximately $10,000, which included insurance assistance. Medication was an additional $1,700, PGS testing was an additional $3,250 and we were charged a "cycle management fee" of $900 per cycle (including all the cycles that were cancelled). Plus $400/yr for embryo storage (which we had to pay right before we lost our last embryo- so messed up). For the second and third round, we did the Attain program which cost $23,000 up front (which covered two egg retrievals, ICSI, embryology, and all frozen transfers), medication was paid for out of pocket for approximately $4,000, PGS testing was $3,250. Monitoring was not included in our Attain program, which was another $2,000-$3,000. Embryo storage $400/yr.
My doctor is adamant about transferring a single embryo when is PGS tested normal because it has a greater chance of splitting. Multiple pregnancies have a higher risk of preterm labor, and other health complications for the mother, and more health risks for the babies.
Mount Pleasant

I like that Dr. Slowey is very matter of fact. But his one-on-one meetings sound rehearsed rather than personalized. Once we got to the very end of the meeting before he realized he had the wrong person's information page up on his computer. There is very little interaction with him -initial consult and after treatment failures are the only time you will talk to him. There is no effort made to let you know if he will not be the one there to perform your procedure himself. Out of all the procedures I've had done, he only has done one of them himself - otherwise, I've seen the other doctors from the practice.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I always came away with the impression that Dr. Slowey is extremely knowledgeable in the field of fertility. I trust him with my care. I like that he is conservative in his approach and very well-informed. But the level of personalized care you receive from him leaves a lot to be desired. You rarely see or talk to him, and when you do, it is rushed and seems like he is rushing through your allotted time so he can move along to the next thing he has to do that day.
If you are looking for personalized, in-depth conversations and emotional guidance during your fertility treatment , this is probably not the right doctor for you. If you are more interested in no-nonsense, get-to-the point, knowledge and protocol-centered experience, then Dr. Slowey is a good choice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison)
The nurses are the best part of this facility.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is organized and well-run. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for my appointments. It is clean, quiet and the staff get along well (or at least they appear to do so). There is a financial consultant on staff to help with financial concerns as well.
Close to $40k for 8 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, and 2 rounds of IVF under the Atain insurance program (including monitoring and meds)
Dr. Slowey is very conservative. He will suggest single transfer unless you have unique circumstances.
Mount Pleasant

If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey.... Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
At first Dr. Slowey did not seem to show much empathy but as our appointment went on and the discussion of not being able to afford IVF came up how personality shifted. He showed compassion and explained that he knew what it felt like to be in our position. He seems To be incredibly knowledgeable and was able to answer every question we had. Although we have only had one appointment thus far, we are looking forward to our appointments in April and hopefully starting the IVF process then as well. Dr. Slowey made us genuinely feel as though he wanted us to start our family as much as we do ourselves.
If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey. Very frustrating wait but I can appreciate covering all of the bases.
Dr. Slowey was pretty blunt with us to begin with and at first we felt like a number. He didn’t seem to show much empathy of the fact that we wanted to try IUI but it just wasn’t an option according to their clinic. Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it. He also waived another fee for one of the tests for us. We realized then that we were not just another number to him, but two people he felt like he can help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
My care coordinator is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
As a new patient myself, only having one in clinic visit so far, I only have great things to say. Check in was easy and quick, we were called back within ten minutes of arriving, we never felt uncomfortable. The doctor and clinic were generous enough to waive the freeze fee for us since it was an unexpected decision. I truly have nothing negative to say so far, I hope it stays that way!
Initial visit, intrauterine ultrasound, semen analysis, all lab work, all covered by insurance. $400 for anesthesia for egg retrieval. Approx $11,800 for ivf with ICSI. $3,250 for embryo biopsy and PGD/PGS testing. We do not have a cost for medications yet as we are still awaiting for other test results.
North Charleston

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
he [Dr. Michael Slowey] will take the time, no matter how long it takes, to explain everything... during our consult I expected to be rushed like most doctors do to get to the next patient, but I was pleasantly surprised that my husband and I sat down and was explained everything thoroughly and was given time to ask any questions and had Dr. Slowey undivided attention. We felt like we were his only patient!
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was very compassionate, but honest with his answers to all of our questions and concerns. When all seemed hopeless, he was reassuring about our struggle with infertility.He was very thorough and caring.
Ask any questions and about any concerns, he will take the time, no matter how long it takes, to explain everything.
I am 40 years old and have never had children. I have been trying for years and decided to consult with Coastal Fertility and was happily greeted by a wonderful staff in the front office, and during our consult I expected to be rushed like most doctors do to get to the next patient, but I was pleasantly surprised that my husband and I sat down and was explained everything thoroughly and was given time to ask any questions and had Dr. Slowey undivided attention. We felt like we were his only patient!
My husband and I went to Coastal for a consultation and had a follow up for checkup but have yet to complete the process due to the financial cost. We due not qualify for the infertility coverage our insurance offers due to the fact that my husband had a vasectomy during his first marriage. We saved up $7500.00 to have a reversal done in 2016 but it did not work out. We are waiting to complete the process in the future when we can cover the cost of IVF out of pocket. We are looking forward to eventually continuing with Coastal Fertility and Dr. Slowey in the future.
Everyone in the office was very caring. Even though we live more than 2 hours away, they answered all the questions every time I called if I wasn’t sure of the process. They were also very efficient and thorough.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal Fertility is a top notch facility. Going through the fertility checks can be awkward, but they made us feel very at ease and were very reassuring. The staff and doctors are some of the kindest and most compassionate I have ever seen.
Mount Pleasant

He [Dr. Micheal Slowey] was very direct and helpful...effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October...First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked...The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was direct and effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October. The clinic was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing.
Train your head nurse to be more empathetic.
He was very direct and helpful, my only complaint was the nurse I had for the entire process. She wasn’t the kindest and made me not comfortable. This was a lot of money and hope and many other feelings and she wasn’t very sensitive to that. It could of been a much better experience.
First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked. I did have to travel further for that procedure. The experience was good though, minus having to have a catheter put in. The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that. Then I was on medication and shots. I got my blood drawn and ultrasound every 3 days to make sure my follicles were growing. Then I was instructed to use a trigger shot. There was a storm and the head nurse told me they wouldn’t be able to do my iui if the hurricane hit. That we would have to try again. So I ovulated a day early without the trigger shot and just had intercourse instead of the iui and we got lucky.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather Clayton)
She made me feel ridiculous for having concerns. We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
So wonderful, I went to both of their clinics and they are clean and professional and wonderful. The Lexington clinic is a little far out for me as well as Charleston but worth it. The waiting rooms weren’t cold and uncomfortable either .
I truly don’t remember it was a couple thousand and then meds were 200-300$ I was suppose to get iui which was another thousand but didn’t end up needing it.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he [Dr. Michael Slowey] will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is compassionate and no nonsense. He deals in facts and science, but will also tell you what he doesn't know (and there is a lot the doctors do not know in infertility!). He is not "touchy-feely", but yet is very kind and gentle. We were always getting new bad news (not their fault, just facts) and he never hid from telling us the truth, yet told us gently. He's a great doctor, has a tremendous amount of experience and cares about his patients.
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
The care I received was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope.
600 IU Ubiquinol for 3 months before starting. IVF 1: micro flare (short Lupron) protocol started with birth control pills Results: suppression did not work, "broke through" Lupron. Cycle cancelled. IVF 2: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide No birth control given (too strong) - used Estrace before stims instead. Results: 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of 3 embryos (4th arrested on Day 4). Positive pregnancy - saw heartbeat - miscarriage at 9 weeks IVF 3: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide (same as #2) Results: 5 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. Day 5 transfer of 3 Morulas (no blastocytes). Remaining 2 arrested Day 5. Negative pregnancy
The staff was amazing. The followed us on all the ups and downs, cheering us on (discreetly), and being especially sweet when things did not go well. They were always gentle and upbeat. Kelly was a fantastic communicator, always giving me the info when she said she would. I never had to wait. She knew I liked more info, so made sure to provide me with what I wanted to know. No question was too little. She knew our case well, and made sure we got everything we needed.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Since we were (probably) going to be spending the equivalent of a fancy sports car, it seemed only fair that the services and care should be on par, don't you think? Coastal Fertility excels here. We had been to a well known clinic in NY, in a depressing building, with a creepy waiting room. It was cold and scary. The doctor (highly rated by some) was the opposite of compassion. You could tell it was just a business for them. Not so at Coastal. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
Monitoring was easy and as pleasant as it is ever going to be. We were told to show up in a time frame (for example, between 7:30 and 9am). Once we were there, we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, if that. It seems that they would know in advance their busy times, and if they needed more time with us, would give us a specific time. Monitoring was really efficient.
Drugs were about $6k, and each round of IVF was about 13k. We were a difficult case, with a lot of monitoring.

2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Michael Slowey] was upfront and honest from the very first appointment. He never once told us things were impossible but he was clear it would not be easy. He didn’t try and tell us to attempt a treatment that wouldn’t work and he listened, I’ve been to so many doctors who never listened to me or what I was saying. To know that he listened and heard me and tried to adjust for what I needed based on my feedback was everything.
2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was upfront and honest from the very first appointment. He never once told us things were impossible but he was clear it would not be easy. He didn’t try and tell us to attempt a treatment that wouldn’t work and he listened, I’ve been to so many doctors who never listened to me or what I was saying. To know that he listened and heard me and tried to adjust for what I needed based on my feedback was everything.
It’s hard, sometimes, to trust a doctor, but trust him. He will not steer you wrong. He wants this as much as you do.
Every single person in the office was wonderful, from the front desk all the way to dr. Slowey. We had a nurse coordinator Alison who brought us into the family and let us talk and vent and cry. They cared. They were happy when things were good and sad when it wasn’t.
The only thing I remember specifically is that we did NOT use clomid, as I had used it before with a different doctor and had a bad reaction.
They were so good even my husband felt at ease. They were good for everything from paperwork to the finance dept to not shaming my weight but encouraging me as I got healthier under their care.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
It’s clean, it’s shiny, it’s new. I would be sure to tell someone new not to be intimidated. They care. They want to help. Don’t feel like you don’t belong there, you do. Trust them, be honest with them, be patient with them and they will help you.
It was general 7-9am and they added offices while I was in their care so if I couldn’t drive the 2.5 hours to mt pleasant from where I lived there were offices that were closer.
I can’t recall the pricing for egg retrieval but I know that each cycle (at the time) was 1800 after the few expenses that could be billed to my insurance
After my first cycle miscarried, he was willing to try a multiple embryo transfer, but he was upfront about the dangers. And he would not try more than 2 embryos at once.
Mount Pleasant

Dr Slowey is incredibly smart and explained things to my husband and I very clearly. Whenever he saw us he took his time and was compassionate. When we got pregnant after four rounds, he gave us a book with a message in it that meant a lot to my husband and I.... I have pcos and clomid, nor Femera were making me ovulate so we went straight to injectables. I was monitored by ultra sound and blood work every other day and then given a trigger shot to make me ovulate. We did timed intercourse the month that we conceived.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
That the wait time is worth it. Be patient, and know that you are in excellent hands.
I had frequent contact with Dr Sloweys staff and I felt like we were all in the same team. The day I had my firs ultra sound to confirm my pregnancy the ultra sound tech was crying happy tears with me. When I was ten weeks along and graduating to my regular obgyn, Dr Slowey gave me a Children’s book with a message of congratulations written in it. It meant a lot to us. I Highly recommend this clinic.
Kelly did a great job at being compassionate. I had to following up repeatedly on treatment with her but understood from the beginning that it was my responsibility to do so.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.
My insurance didn’t cover any of our procedures so we paid about 10,000 out of pocket in the four months we saw him.
Mount Pleasant
He is very thorough. He tells it to you "just like it is." I prefer a doctor who is very blunt and realistic, and he is. However he is very kind, and you can tell he wants you to be successful! He also will let you make some of the decisions if they are within his suggested parameters.... I saw Dr. Slowey initially at MUSC, as he is a professor there. It helped my insurance cover my initial consultation.... He always took the time to hear our concerns. He was interested in us, our goals and what our past had looked like.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I did IUIs with Gonal F, Letrazole and a trigger shot. I have unexplained fertility and I have had one successful pregnancy with Letrazole and one missed miscarriage with natural conception.
Allison and my schedule did not always line up (I had early appointments.) However she always made sure my information was ready with another nurse (either Becky or Kelly) and I would highly recommend them both. Allison was very knowledgeable and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is wonderful. From the time you walk in the door to the exam room, you know they care about you. They get to know you, your name, your story, your husband ... they accommodate you in the best way possible. Also, out of all of the clinics in the area, they don't batch cycles and they have the most experience!
My costs were somewhat covered by my insurance. I typically paid about $600 out of pocket for meds and procedure per IUI.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Slowey is very knowledgeable and understands this process very well. He wants the best outcomes for all patients and knows how stressful this is. We are very impressed with him and know that he treats his patients with respect and compassion.... He does not sugar coat. Which is a good thing but can be difficult to hear. He is amazing and talented and very realistic.... With my condition of low ovarian reserve, he decided to implant 2 each time in hopes one would implant and be successful.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is a very great doctor. This process is so exhausting and overwhelming but he tries to keep me calm and realistic. I just wish our outcomes were better.
Antagonist protocol: birth control pills for 2 weeks. We believe this oversuppressed me and i didn’t produce many eggs. Microflare Protocol was better and i produced 6 eggs. 4 were great quality and we did a fresh 3 day 2 embryo transfer. Negative pregnancy. 2 made to blast. Transferred the remaining 2 embryos and miscarried at 8’weeks.
Allison is wonderful and has been through IVF several times herself. I appreciated her coordinating everything for us and her compassion when we were unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths: compassionate, very professional. Offer free meds at times if they have extra available. Weaknesses: cost of treatment is very high. Wish there were more clinic programs that they would offer to multiple failed cycles.
Over 16k for procedure and medications
Myrtle Beach

During my first IUI [with Dr. Michael Slowey] we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test... did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was a very kind and professional doctor. I only met with him a few times but each time he made sure I understood anything I needed to know and answered any questions I had. He was very thorough in explaining the options we had and our diagnosis.
Make sure to write down any questions or concerns you may have to ask Dr. Slowey during your appointment. No question is a stupid one!
Dr. Slowey did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
During my first IUI we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison )
My nurse was very helpful and friendly during the few visits I had with her. Unfortunately Kelly was out of town the majority of my time as a patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic provided a calming and inviting atmosphere which is so important! One thing I think they could work on is better communication with their patients. I had very little contact with my nurse coordinator due to her being out of town so frequently.
My insurance covered the monitoring and blood work so I was left to pay for the procedure as well as the medicine. The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350.
Mount Pleasant

He [Dr. Slowey] spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.... He is a little stand-offish at times but I believe that is cultural difference; i.e., North vs. South. It is also hard to actually meet with him rather than the nurses. I believe that is due to the size and number of branch offices the practice has rather his personal doing. However, he is very compassionate and when meeting, is fully present in the moment with you as a patient.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would tell them to be prepared to rarely see him but trust in his plan for you, barring a major setback.
He spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
Cherub is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic. She makes you feel like you are the only patient she has. However, on an correspondence level, she is horrible. Her emails are blunt, abrupt, and at times very cold. This is a major disconnect for the emotionally vulnerable patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The staff is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.
Lexington

He [Dr. Michael Slowy] is very smart but speaks in complex medical terms. He gave poor news over the phone and did not give us any hope. I have undergone no treatment to date and yet he immediately jumped to donor eggs.... Baseline tests, start coq10 (type was not discussed), hsg. We declined to move forward with him and donor eggs.... He gave me poor statistics over the phone 3 days before Christmas in under 5 minutes.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very smart but speaks in complex medical terms. He gave poor news over the phone and did not give us any hope. I have undergone no treatment to date and yet he immediately jumped to donor eggs.
Do your own research.
Allison was hardly available. She was rude over the phone in explaining certain things. When asked about the rationale behind donor eggs and no other treatment first to see what kind of response I would produce she was snarky and demeaning.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Beautiful clinic. Easy location. The clinical staff and front desk staff were very helpful and kind. They are priced higher than other clinics we found in the US and don’t offer the same value as they are not into advanced treatments like mini ivf or PRP.
Maxing out $15k insurance and still needing to pay $4,500 out of pocket without meds.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr Slowey has been absolutely wonderful. He is very informative and shows genuine concern for his patients. He is companionate and passionate about the work that he is doing. He explains everything thoroughly and provides information to take home to read for even more understanding....The first time we transferred one embryo because of the risk of multiples. We were unsuccessful, so the second transfer we used 2 and 1 resulted in a sweet healthy baby boy.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Stay positive, keep persevering and your dream to have a baby will happen!
I highly recommend Dr Slowey and the staff of Coastal Fertility Specialists. They make the process positive, even when I had negative results Dr Slowey made it easy to stay positive!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan)
Jan was very supportive. She was available and eager to answer questions that we had through the process.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The staff at Coastal Fertility Specialists are absolutely amazing. Everyone from the front desk to the doctors are so helpful and kind. I have met several people who were experiencing infertility and I have recommended that they go to Coastal because we had such a great experience. They have had positive experiences as well and successful transfers.
Mount Pleasant

Dr Slowey did take the time to explain things to us in a way we could understand. He also didn’t push us towards more aggressive treatments as he did not feel they were necessary given our situation at that time.... He is very thorough and offered us a lot of help in determining our best treatment plan, in addition to giving us a clearer sense of our time line.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very thorough and offered us a lot of help in determining our best treatment plan, in addition to giving us a clearer sense of our time line. I would recommend him to anyone seeking fertility treatment
Utilize the consultation to address all questions and concerns. We asked some questions that I feel silly about now but he is a great professional and answered them as a credible. He seems to realize these are scary procedures
Polyp removal and iui
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Ribiero)
Very helpful when you could get in touch with her. Very hard to get in touch with at times
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Busy clinic with state of the art equipment. Lab is onsite (I believe). I like the clinic. It was comfortable but it was very busy. At points seemed slightly disorganized with what was going on due to large staff and clinic patient volume
About $2500 per iui cycle

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
We’ve ran every test [with Dr. Slowey] there is on both my husband and I. We’ve done metformin for my PCOS, we’ve done HSGs and injectable medications, and progesterone. I usually get pregnant but don’t stay pregnant...Dr. Slowey does an excellent job of being kind, sensitive, but also informative... Unfortunately reoccuring miscarriages are my issue, but he has been very comforting and kind. What’s left for us is IVF.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey has been very thourough running every test he can think of for my husband and I both. Unfortunately reoccuring miscarriages are my issue, but he has been very comforting and kind. What’s left for us is IVF.
Do not be afraid to ask questions!
We’ve ran every test there is on both my husband and I. We’ve done metformin for my PCOS, we’ve done HSGs and injectable medications, and progesterone. I usually get pregnant but don’t stay pregnant.
I like my nurse, she’s very kind, however she doesn’t let me know when she will be out of the office for a while, which is inconvenient when you’re on a time frame.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Overall this is a fabulous clinic, only complaint is when my nurse is away, and doesn’t let me know, or let me know who I should be in contact with if I need them. Everyone is kind, compassionate, and gentle.
My insurance covers the appointments, but treatments are expensive.
Mount Pleasant

IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan [with Dr. Slowey]. He looked at my full health and fertility history...He has very good bedside manner, warm and kind but still very professional and informative. He treated me like a person and not a statistic and explained to me the whole process and why he was doing what he was doing.
IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would just recommend him to anyone. He gave me the reality but also left me with a clear plan of action. I felt informed and hopeful. As I said before, he treats you as a person and not a statistic.
I don't have any.
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan. He looked at my full health and fertility history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
She is awesome! Super personable and like a best friend almost.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Organized, beautiful and clean.
Some of our costs were covered by insurance but we still had out of pocket and we had to pay upfront for all treatment and the portion that was not met by our insurance deductible.

2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Slowey and his team did an excellent job of explaining each and every step to us in full detail and walked us through the entire process from start to finish. Everyone in the office knew our names and we're very friendly and knowledgeable.
2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. slowly as a dedicated an honest man they put faith in his work to make sure you understand your condition it out come and pros and cons of everything and price is the last thing he tells you he is amazing his weakness is he cares to much for his patience... he sits and go over everything in detail and tell you the outcome and chances until you understand....did ultrasound to check follicles he went over test and outcomes.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Loyalty and dedicated he is a good doctor
Because he sits and go over everything in detail and tell you the outcome and chances until you understand.
Did paperwork did ultrasound to check follicles he went over test and outcomes.
She was nice and kind and understanding and out of all my questions
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is a loyalty and dependable and understanding way or knowledge of his patients conditions and show compassion with them as they was going to the same they have no weaknesses they have open communication you can call them anytime during the hours or have any questions they are special people that I will recommend for anyone to go today clinc
Ivf with egg donar