Medical SchoolU. of Tennessee
North Charleston
9225 University Boulevard
North Charleston, SC 29406
843) 972-9444
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Slowey to a friend?

6.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Coastal Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
We discussed the concerns of doing two embryos but felt with my test results two was the best. He [Dr. Michael Slowey] was very good about really looking and talking through this choice...always had time to answer my questions. He never rushed us through. He was very thorough in explaining what was going on and what we would do. He was straight forward, which I liked because I wanted to know the facts and not have a false hope or vision.
I did a fresh transfer with IVF [with Coastal Fertility Specialists]. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos...The nurses in the Lexington office were AMAZING. I remember crying on Heather's shoulder for what felt like forever when we lost our first at 8 and half weeks. She was there for every call and made sure I always knew what was going on. Ashley drew my blood and always spoke to me and remembered things specifically about me. The two made you feel like your were best friends or family.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is incredibly knowledgeable and very thorough. He does talk quickly sometimes but will slow down when you ask. He never made me feel like I was bothering him asking questions or wanting to know more. He would talk me through everything he was doing or seeing. He explained every step of the way. He is straight forward and would try to be very compassionate but sometimes his straightforwardness could get in the way. I would definitely go back to Dr.Slowey. Even today after having my girl he is so happy to see us visit the clinic and talks about how things are going.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
If you need someone to hold your hand and talk sweet and soft to you this is not the doctor. If you want someone who is going to talk to give you the facts and be straightforward this is the doctor for you. Also never be afraid to ask questions! You are not bothering anyone when you do!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey always had time to answer my questions. He never rushed us through. He was very thorough in explaining what was going on and what we would do. He was straight forward, which I liked because I wanted to know the facts and not have a false hope or vision.
Describe the protocols Michael Slowey used in your cycles at Coastal Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
I did a fresh transfer with IVF. I did have to take extra days of Gonal F because my eggs didn't grow large enough as fast as expected. I did have a frozen transfer after miscarrying the first baby at 8 and half weeks. We did a D and C with Dr.Slowey. We did genetic testing and found nothing wrong there. We then prepares for a frozen transfer of my last 2 embryos. I had a live, full term birth in May 2017. Dr. Slowey did say that if I chose to do IVF again he would change some of my protocol because of my lack of response to the medicine during this round. He didn't elaborate on that at the time of the visit. We have not been able to go back to do another round due to money.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
My clinic was great. They were slightly expensive but about average for South Carolina. They had an office here that could do a lot of the procedures except the retrieval and D and C. That had to be done in Mt.Pleasant. the only downfall is they are very large so sometimes it was tough to get in with a doctor to get started but once you were in it was easy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
For my first consultation I believe the testing and all was around 200 dollars but insurance covered many of the blood tests. The IVF was 12,500. I spent 9500 for medicine. I had 800 in two procedures I had to be put under anesthesia but received some.of that back from insurance. My D and C was covered by insurance. The frozen transfer was 3000 but I was given medicine so I didn't not have to pay for those and I had a little left for insurance for that. All in all after 15000 in insurance we paid just under 18000 for everything, 2 transfers, all testing, monitoring, genetic testing and the D and C.
Describe Michael Slowey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
We discussed the concerns of doing two embryos but felt with my test results two was the best. He was very good about really looking and talking through this choice.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists.

2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
[Dr. Michael Slowey] called me personally multiple times and was always very concerned with my comfort during procedures and very patient answering literal pages of questions that I would bring to appointments...He was very thorough in clarifying our goals, understanding our concerns, and updating care plan and interventions to meet our needs...He was also very good at presenting the facts and our difficult prognosis with compassion
Heather [nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was always so calm and positive, I can’t tell you how many times she let me cry in her office before I had to go back to work. She always remembered to call me on days off or email me on days I worked and was great at updates...They forgot to tell me I could get a period during stimulations which caused a bit of a panic for me...The clinic is very comfy and mellow environment but the Charleston clinic that does the procedures really dropped the ball, they had me mistaken for someone else and said my husband needed to give a sample and I panicked thinking they had lost our only frozen sample
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was very thorough in clarifying our goals, understanding our concerns, and updating care plan and interventions to meet our needs. He was very available both phone and email and staff called me multiple times just to check in on me. He was also very good at presenting the facts and our difficult prognosis with compassion
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, he’s very kind and thorough and wants to make sure you feel comfortable with your decisions and plan
My dr called me personally multiple times and was always very concerned with my comfort during procedures and very patient answering literal pages of questions that I would bring to appointments
My treatment involved a lot of high doses due to my low function, I took hcg, max of gonal F, and another drug that burned a lot. Frequent blood tests and ultrasound to check progress with dose adjustments every 24-48 hours, it was a very specific and personalized approach. We managed to get 15 eggs and 4 good embryos so I’m over the moon
Heather was always so calm and positive, I can’t tell you how many times she let me cry in her office before I had to go back to work. She always remembered to call me on days off or email me on days I worked and was great at updates
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Well oiled machine and always speedy
Dr Slowey was about half of what we were paying and they had a lot more options
Not to this point yet
+ Read more- Read less

Doctor Slowey knows his job and has done a lot of research himself about infertility ... Doctor Slowey is very smart and takes his job seriously. Soon as you consult with him, he is down to business. He wants to get to the issue and get to work. Sometimes this comes off too blunt, but we can appreciate him seriousness. He was very stern on single embryo transfer. ... He is always cordial. ...
Coastal Fertility is excellent at what they do. Their facility and equipment are very up-to-date and maintained. They are always busy and handle the traffic well. They are organized and prompt with returning calls, messages. We have always had a smooth and enjoyable experience there. ... Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Doctor Slowey knows his job and has done a lot of research himself about infertility. I completely trust his judgement on our treatments. He can be blunt, but wants you to have an honest, realistic opinion. He is always friendly and genuinely mannered.
Be prepared for worst case scenario. He is honest and wants you to be prepared. Ask questions and be understanding. He knows what’s best and is extremely knowledgeable.
Doctor Slowey is very smart and takes his job seriously. Soon as you consult with him, he is down to business. He wants to get to the issue and get to work. Sometimes this comes off too blunt, but we can appreciate him seriousness. He is always cordial.
Doctor Slowey started us off with a low dose for our first IUI treatment which I appreciate. If overdosed, your cycle is likely to be canceled. He upped that dosage for our second IUI cycle and had the clinic monitor us closer. The cycle was perfect, but didn’t work due to our unexplained infertility. He is now suggesting move straight to IVF for sake of time, money, and emotional state which we agree on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribeiro )
Coastal Fertility nurses are excellent. They are all busy at work and take great care of you. They always make us feel welcome and have a smile on their faces. We are always impressed with the atmosphere and their diligence.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Our insurance doesn’t cover any fertility fees. We have paid out of pocket for every single appointment. Their prices were competitive with our local OB. Appointments were to be paid in full as they were administered in Mt. Pleasant. If we had an appointment in Myrtle Beach we could pay it at our next Mt. Pleasant visit which was convenient for us.
He was very stern on single embryo transfer. He explained due to our young age, healthy records, and no past miscarriages. Transferring 2 embryos can lead to a risky/dangerous pregnancy.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Slowey has always been straight forward with my diagnosis and treatment plan while also providing professional and sympathetic bed manners. I truly appreciate his patience with myself and my partner in our journey to parenthood. He has provided the upmost care to both of us. ... I am a plus size patient and was worried he wouldn’t be able to assist me. Though he was extremely patient and guided me in the correct and healthy way to manage my weight so the outcome would be, healthy mom, healthy baby.
The clinic has many strengths as to being available for IUI procedures 7 days a week, so there’s never a chance to miss ovulation! Only weakness is I wish that we would have been notified of all the price changes on the upcoming new year. ... Allison has been over the moon amazing! She has answered every single phone call and email in a timely fashion and has always shown compassion and sympathy. She is truly a gem!
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
When my partner and I had our first consultation in Dec 2017, I was so nervous! I am a plus size patient and was worried he wouldn’t be able to assist me. Though he was extremely patient and guided me in the correct and healthy way to manage my weight so the outcome would be, healthy mom, healthy baby. Once I began losing weight in a timely manner, he showed me so much encouragement to help me continue to better myself so that our future child could have a healthy future.
I wouldn’t say I have any specific advice for Dr. Slowey, but I would have enjoyed seeing him at the Myrtle Beach office where my home is located.
The first cycle of IUI we used ovulation induction with 2.5 MG of Letrozole. Unfortunately an unsuccesful outcome. However we are current in our second IUI with 5 MG of Letrozole and Ovidrel trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison R.)
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Unfortunately my insurance did not cover any costs of any preliminary testing or the procedures so every penny came out of pocket. I understand everyone needs to make money, especially a business. It’s a little disheartening to spend thousands of dollars without a larger guarantee of a live birth. We are close to have spent $6000. Unfortunately after two cycles of IUI we may have to take a break and try again in another year.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Slowey is very professional and knowledgeable. I really enjoyed his bedside manner when i actually got to interact with him. He seems to care and took my wants and desires into consideration when it came time to jump into IVF. ... Trust the process and don’t expect to see him every appointment or even every other ... My husband and I were counseled that there were certain scenarios that Dr. Slowey would not transfer more than 1 embryo
I feel like Coastal Fertility has too many offices. While I benefitted from one of these satillite offices there was some confusion on where my second Fet was. I showed up to an office 2 hours from where my embryo was. ... Coastal has 3 amazing and knowledgeable physicians and wonderful embryologists. The clinic is up to date on all the latest studies.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Most of my interactions were with a nurse, which was fine, but if I had a direct question I either had to wait for the nurse to get in contact with my doctor or set up an additional appointment (out of my pocket) to discuss things directly with him.
I do not remember the exact dosage but I was on birth control, gonal f, cetrotide, Lupron, progesterone (injectable & suppository), estrogen, prenatal. My egg retrieval yielded 30 eggs, 26 fertilized normally and only 4 survived to day 5. pgs results: 2 normal, 1 abnormal 1 mosaic Fet #1: lining was roughly 7mm & we transferred the highest quality of my 2 normal embryos. Resulted in a negative pregnancy test Requested an ERA which discovered we were transferring at the correct time Fet #2: didn’t change protocol lining was roughly 8.5mm. Transferred my last normal embryo. Resulted in a positive pregnancy test, healthy pregnancy and baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather )
Heather was very professional and knowledgeable in her job. The fact that she herself had gone through IVF made me more at ease, she could relate to me. At the time of my egg retrieval I was a full time college student. Heather and her coworkers would go above and beyond to accommodate my limited schedule by opening their doors 15-30 minutes early for me to receive my necessary blood work and scans.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I feel like Coastal Fertility has too many offices. While I benefitted from one of these satillite offices there was some confusion on where my second Fet was. I showed up to an office 2 hours from where my embryo was. Luckily Dr. Slowey and his team were still able to proceed with the transfer which resulted in my son. Coastal has 3 amazing and knowledgeable physicians and wonderful embryologists. The clinic is up to date on all the latest studies.
Weekday monitoring I was given an appointment at my satellite clinic. Saturday monitoring was first come first serve at my satellite clinic. Sunday monitoring was only held at the Mt. Pleasant clinic, first come first serve.
IVF (including 2 Fet’s): roughly $12,000 (I had partial insurance coverage & this does not include medication) PGS: $3,400 ERA: roughly $500
My husband and I were counseled that there were certain scenarios that Dr. Slowey would not transfer more than 1 embryo. In my case he did not feel comfortbale doing so. I was 27 at the time of egg retrieval, had been pregnant a total of 3 times prior with 1 live birth. To top it off we decided to do pgs to decrease our chance of miscarriage. I believe Dr. Slowey 100% made the right call in our case.
+ Read more- Read less

I think Dr. Slowey is a brilliant man. So brilliant that he might ignore or dismiss simplistic items that could improve treatment results. I've had mixed interactions with him ranging from very cold and short to very compassionate. ... I felt so frustrated because I felt like my voice wasn't being heard and we ended up losing all of our precious embryos. ...
One of my biggest complaints is the amount of times they [Coastal Fertility Specialists] said something to us that was not accurate because they didn't bother to open my chart and read it. ... I really like the way monitoring is set up. It is every weekday morning between 7 and 9am, so it was very flexible. ... The billing department however, could use a major overhaul. I am constantly getting invoice in the mail that were paid months prior, at the time of service.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I think Dr. Slowey is a brilliant man. So brilliant that he might ignore or dismiss simplistic items that could improve treatment results. I've had mixed interactions with him ranging from very cold and short to very compassionate. I care more about him getting me pregnant than his bedside manner. But I haven't gotten pregnant yet, so my patience is growing thin.
I would say expect to do things his way in the beginning. I had so many cycles cancelled because he wanted to stick to his protocol. So either be very up front in your initial consultation about wanting an individualized plan or be patient. The problem with being patient though, is that time, money, and precious embryos may be wasted in the process.
In the beginning, we loved Coastal, but as the months dragged on, I think their patient volume increased exponentially. One of my biggest complaints is the amount of times they said something to us that was not accurate because they didn't bother to open my chart and read it. Sometimes it feels like they are trying to get as many scans, labs, and consultations done in one day to make the most amount of money.
IVF 1: Stimming and egg retrieval went well. We got 3 PGS tested normal embryos. The first transfer was cancelled due to my lining not thickening up and we went to transfer (just barely- again, due to lining) the following cycle. This resulted in a negative pregnancy test. We had a consult with Dr. Slowey following that failed transfer and he gave us the option to have the ERA test done, which we decided to move forward with. The ERA revealed that I was pre receptive which indicated adjustments needed to be made for the following cycle. The second transfer failed, after another two cancelled cycles due to my poor lining. I expressed my concern that I felt the protocol I was on was not working for my body, but he wanted to stick with it. We surprisingly moved directly into our third and final transfer for that round (it was our last embryo) which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I felt so frustrated because I felt like my voice wasn't being heard and we ended up losing all of our precious embryos. In Dr. Slowey's defense, he was going off what the ERA told us and wanted to stick with the protocol that gave us that information. I understand that. IVF 2 & 3: My husband and I met with Dr. Slowey after our final failed transfer to discuss next steps. I was very clear in that consultation that I would not do another round of IVF if it entailed the same thing we did for nearly a year. He completely agreed and apologized profusely for all the time and heartache we wasted in the process. I think perhaps his experience with me as a patient has given him a new perspective on what might work for some, doesn't work for all. We decided to batch our second and third rounds because of my age and so that we could get more embryos to work with. We ended up with a combined 9 embryos, which were PGS tested, and only 5 were normal. Dr. Slowey tried a brand new protocol for my frozen transfer prep which entailed completely different medication than the previous 3 transfers. My lining seemed to respond much better right away! We just had our fourth frozen transfer three days ago, so I'm currently in my "two week wait" to see if this new protocol worked for me or not.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison)
I absolutely love my nurse, Kelly. We are in constant communication and over the last year and a half, she has become like family. She is always in a good mood, friendly, tries her best to say the right things to make us feel better about negative outcomes, and is very responsive to my emails.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
I love the girls that work at the front desk. They are super friendly and always joking about how they need to at least name a conference room after my husband and I because we are in there so much. I've even connected with a few of the ladies on instagram- again, these people become like family. I ADORE my ultrasound tech, Sharon. She is so precious, always upbeat and so loving. She is the greatest. The billing department however, could use a major overhaul. I am constantly getting invoice in the mail that were paid months prior, at the time of service. We call them very confused and they say "Oh, its an automated billing system" but it has been happening since we started going there in Early 2017.
Our first round was approximately $10,000, which included insurance assistance. Medication was an additional $1,700, PGS testing was an additional $3,250 and we were charged a "cycle management fee" of $900 per cycle (including all the cycles that were cancelled). Plus $400/yr for embryo storage (which we had to pay right before we lost our last embryo- so messed up). For the second and third round, we did the Attain program which cost $23,000 up front (which covered two egg retrievals, ICSI, embryology, and all frozen transfers), medication was paid for out of pocket for approximately $4,000, PGS testing was $3,250. Monitoring was not included in our Attain program, which was another $2,000-$3,000. Embryo storage $400/yr.
My doctor is adamant about transferring a single embryo when is PGS tested normal because it has a greater chance of splitting. Multiple pregnancies have a higher risk of preterm labor, and other health complications for the mother, and more health risks for the babies.
+ Read more- Read less

I like that Dr. Slowey is very matter of fact. But his one-on-one meetings sound rehearsed rather than personalized. Once we got to the very end of the meeting before he realized he had the wrong person's information page up on his computer. There is very little interaction with him -initial consult and after treatment failures are the only time you will talk to him. There is no effort made to let you know if he will not be the one there to perform your procedure himself. Out of all the procedures I've had done, he only has done one of them himself - otherwise, I've seen the other doctors from the practice.
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is organized and well-run. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for my appointments. It is clean, quiet and the staff get along well (or at least they appear to do so). There is a financial consultant on staff to help with financial concerns as well.... The nurses are the best part of this facility.... Close to $40k for 8 rounds of Clomid, 1 IUI, and 2 rounds of IVF under the Atain insurance program (including monitoring and meds)
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I always came away with the impression that Dr. Slowey is extremely knowledgeable in the field of fertility. I trust him with my care. I like that he is conservative in his approach and very well-informed. But the level of personalized care you receive from him leaves a lot to be desired. You rarely see or talk to him, and when you do, it is rushed and seems like he is rushing through your allotted time so he can move along to the next thing he has to do that day.
If you are looking for personalized, in-depth conversations and emotional guidance during your fertility treatment , this is probably not the right doctor for you. If you are more interested in no-nonsense, get-to-the point, knowledge and protocol-centered experience, then Dr. Slowey is a good choice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison)
The nurses are the best part of this facility.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is organized and well-run. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for my appointments. It is clean, quiet and the staff get along well (or at least they appear to do so). There is a financial consultant on staff to help with financial concerns as well.
Dr. Slowey is very conservative. He will suggest single transfer unless you have unique circumstances.
+ Read more- Read less

If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey.... Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it.
My care coordinator [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
At first Dr. Slowey did not seem to show much empathy but as our appointment went on and the discussion of not being able to afford IVF came up how personality shifted. He showed compassion and explained that he knew what it felt like to be in our position. He seems To be incredibly knowledgeable and was able to answer every question we had. Although we have only had one appointment thus far, we are looking forward to our appointments in April and hopefully starting the IVF process then as well. Dr. Slowey made us genuinely feel as though he wanted us to start our family as much as we do ourselves.
If male factor infertility (what our case is), be patient. Dr. Slowey will not start the IVF process until both male and female have had labs done, male has had genetic testing done and has gone to see the urology specialist recommended by Dr. Slowey. Very frustrating wait but I can appreciate covering all of the bases.
Dr. Slowey was pretty blunt with us to begin with and at first we felt like a number. He didn’t seem to show much empathy of the fact that we wanted to try IUI but it just wasn’t an option according to their clinic. Once we got my husbands semen analysis back and Dr.Slowey saw the drastic decline in numbers and the instant heartbreak his attitude changed. He began to bond with us on a personal level and once we said we would have to pass on IVF because it was out of our price range, he immediately made the decision to freeze my husbands sperm and waived the fee to freeze it. He also waived another fee for one of the tests for us. We realized then that we were not just another number to him, but two people he felt like he can help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
My care coordinator is Nurse Kelly and she has been awesome so far. In clinic she was able to answe every question we had or she was able to find an answer before we left the clinic. She helped us find the cheapest way to get our lab work done. She has replied back to every annoying email I have sent her while we wait and has emailed all of our lab orders to us the day we requested since we live two hours away. The nursing staff at our appointment was also amazing. Everyone made us feel very comfortable during a very vulnerable time.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
As a new patient myself, only having one in clinic visit so far, I only have great things to say. Check in was easy and quick, we were called back within ten minutes of arriving, we never felt uncomfortable. The doctor and clinic were generous enough to waive the freeze fee for us since it was an unexpected decision. I truly have nothing negative to say so far, I hope it stays that way!
Initial visit, intrauterine ultrasound, semen analysis, all lab work, all covered by insurance. $400 for anesthesia for egg retrieval. Approx $11,800 for ivf with ICSI. $3,250 for embryo biopsy and PGD/PGS testing. We do not have a cost for medications yet as we are still awaiting for other test results.
North Charleston

2013 - 2018
I felt as though he [Dr. Slowey] treated us and not just our diagnosis. ... He was clear with recommendations as far as treatment and why. We didn’t feel rushed during our visits and explained pros and cons. When a cycle did not result in a pregnancy he discussed recommendations moving forward and expressed his sympathies. While we were going through our first IVF cycle I might have appreciated an additional consult or two as part of the cycle but overall was very satisfied.
Overall everyone we interacted with [Coastal Fertility Specialists] from billing to techs to the nurses and doctor were thorough, well spoken, compassionate, and professional ... Allison [nurse] explained the steps of each cycle well as we approached each step. She was thorough as well as compassionate. Each person we interacted with from billing to techs were rooting for us, easy to communicate with, friendly and professional.
2013 - 2018
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and be involved
I felt as though he treated us and not just our diagnosis. When we had a failed cycle he called to express his sympathies and celebrated with us when we were successful. He spoke respectfully and answered any questions we had.
Initially he recommended IVF due to low sperm count and morphology. When my husband had a higher count as a result of hormone treatments (hcg), we tried an IUI. Unfortunately it was canceled as all of the eggs were growing on the side where I had a blocked tube. So we moved forward to IVF/egg retrieval. I used Follistim in attempt to stimulate egg growth. Dosage varied. This was after a cycle of BCP. I responded well to the protocol (I don’t remember specifics as it was 2013) and they retrieved 23 eggs which resulted in 10 embryos all rated 4 aa/ab/bc. We did a fresh transfer of two day 5 embryos and it resulted in a positive test with a live birth of fraternal twins. In 2018 we returned for a frozen embryo transfer. The cycle involves a round of birth control and then estrogen and progesterone. Estrogen for 12 days starting with 2 per day for 5 days, 4 per day for 4 days and 6 per day for 3 days. Afterwards there was an ultrasound to check the lining. Then began progesterone suppositories in addition to estrogen until transfer day. This was called the escalating estrogen protocol. Our first cycle we transferred one embryo. I remained on progesterone throughout at 3 per day. This cycle was negative. We attempted the next cycle the same way , transferred two embryos and the cycle was negative. A third two embryo transfer resulted in a positive test and live birth of fraternal twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribiero )
Allison explained the steps of each cycle well as we approached each step. She was thorough as well as compassionate. Each person we interacted with from billing to techs were rooting for us, easy to communicate with, friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Biggest weakness for me was location as it was 50 min from home. They have recently added an additional office for testing which made the 2018 visits much easier. Overall everyone we interacted with from billing to techs to the nurses and doctor were thorough, well spoken, compassionate, and professional
Including medications the IVF cycle was around 11,000. Each FET was 3,101 not including medications. Embryo storage was 200 per year for 2 years and 300 per year afterwards.
Initially it was recommended I transfer only one embryo in 2013 given my age and risks of multiple pregnancy. In 2018 I chose a single transfer at first and for the next two cycles he expressed he would be comfortable transferring either one or two.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
he [Dr. Michael Slowey] will take the time, no matter how long it takes, to explain everything... during our consult I expected to be rushed like most doctors do to get to the next patient, but I was pleasantly surprised that my husband and I sat down and was explained everything thoroughly and was given time to ask any questions and had Dr. Slowey undivided attention. We felt like we were his only patient!
Everyone in the [Coastal Fertility Specialists] office was very caring. Even though we live more than 2 hours away, they answered all the questions every time I called if I wasn’t sure of the process. They were also very efficient and thorough...is a top notch facility. Going through the fertility checks can be awkward, but they made us feel very at ease and were very reassuring. The staff and doctors are some of the kindest and most compassionate I have ever seen.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was very compassionate, but honest with his answers to all of our questions and concerns. When all seemed hopeless, he was reassuring about our struggle with infertility.He was very thorough and caring.
Ask any questions and about any concerns, he will take the time, no matter how long it takes, to explain everything.
I am 40 years old and have never had children. I have been trying for years and decided to consult with Coastal Fertility and was happily greeted by a wonderful staff in the front office, and during our consult I expected to be rushed like most doctors do to get to the next patient, but I was pleasantly surprised that my husband and I sat down and was explained everything thoroughly and was given time to ask any questions and had Dr. Slowey undivided attention. We felt like we were his only patient!
My husband and I went to Coastal for a consultation and had a follow up for checkup but have yet to complete the process due to the financial cost. We due not qualify for the infertility coverage our insurance offers due to the fact that my husband had a vasectomy during his first marriage. We saved up $7500.00 to have a reversal done in 2016 but it did not work out. We are waiting to complete the process in the future when we can cover the cost of IVF out of pocket. We are looking forward to eventually continuing with Coastal Fertility and Dr. Slowey in the future.
Everyone in the office was very caring. Even though we live more than 2 hours away, they answered all the questions every time I called if I wasn’t sure of the process. They were also very efficient and thorough.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Coastal Fertility is a top notch facility. Going through the fertility checks can be awkward, but they made us feel very at ease and were very reassuring. The staff and doctors are some of the kindest and most compassionate I have ever seen.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Slowey provided comprehensive and detailed medical knowledge about my diagnosed condition. When my husband's fertility issues also came into play, he respectfully and kindly addressed the next steps. ... Dr. Slowey was the first to diagnosis my PCOS which explains a long history of various medical issues I had. He also treated a low-grade thyroid issue with Synthroid. ... Even during the IUI cycles, he was cautious about the number of eggs I would be releasing.
They [Coastal Fert Spec] were accommodating, explained all the steps fully, and ultimately helped us have our dream baby. All of my interactions with all staff members were helpful and left me with knowledge of the next steps and most importantly, hope. ... Becky was my lifeline through all the small, daily steps. She had compassion, a sense of humor, and a respect for how painful the process could be. She was also incredibly positive when it was desperately needed.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey provided comprehensive and detailed medical knowledge about my diagnosed condition. When my husband's fertility issues also came into play, he respectfully and kindly addressed the next steps. He was respectful of our time and the distance we were traveling to see him/go through this process, along with the financial piece. He was compassionately honest when things didn't work, or when they weren't going the way he hoped.
Be prepared to get a whole lot of information!
Dr. Slowey walked us through the whole process - diagnosis, treatment, potential outcomes. He educated us while not talking down, and his kindness on the day of transfer can't be matched.
Dr. Slowey was the first to diagnosis my PCOS which explains a long history of various medical issues I had. He also treated a low-grade thyroid issue with Synthroid. We did 4 rounds of IUI with Gonal-F injections. 1 round was planned sex, the next 3 were full IUI cycles. When those were not successful (and my husband's low quality sperm count became apparent as well), IVF was discussed. Gonal-F was used again, along with ICSI on the retrieved eggs. We had a day 3 fresh transfer of my only 2 good looking embryos after an initial egg count of 6 (4 which fertilized).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Other than the distance from my home, I think this clinic was wonderful. They were accommodating, explained all the steps fully, and ultimately helped us have our dream baby. All of my interactions with all staff members were helpful and left me with knowledge of the next steps and most importantly, hope.
Portions of IUI were covered under my insurance (monitoring appointments and beginning testing). Otherwise we paid out of pocket for all medications, and the whole IVF process.
Dr. Slowey was adamant that no more than two embryos (preferably one) would ever be transferred to decrease the risk of higher order multiples. Even during the IUI cycles, he was cautious about the number of eggs I would be releasing.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Slowey always used my name. He was always very compassionate but honest. He prepared us for the worst yet always made us seem like everything was going to be ok! ... He was upfront yet his delivery of the information was amazing. I left the office that day knowing we were finally in great hands! ... When we had a consult with Dr. Slowey he was caring yet I think he could tell I was done with the run around and I wanted answers.
My primary, Allison, was amazing. With vacations and days off I did see 2 other nurses. We primarily communicated via email [Coastal Fertility Specialists\ the month before my cycle. Once IVF began and I was getting calls from her every other evening. She was great with working as best we could around my work schedule and with drive times to the main office since we lived almost 2 hours away.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We had be battling our insurance (my husband is active duty military) and been fighting on where and how to start treatments. My doctors never ran some tests on me and we could have my husband properly treated or even seen. When we had a consult with Dr. Slowey he was caring yet I think he could tell I was done with the run around and I wanted answers. He was upfront yet his delivery of the information was amazing. I left the office that day knowing we were finally in great hands!
Go sooner rather than waiting for another doctor trying to figure it out. We wasted years on GYN and urologists appointments and never got anywhere.
My primary, Allison, was amazing. With vacations and days off I did see 2 other nurses. We primarily communicated via email the month before my cycle. Once IVF began and I was getting calls from her every other evening. She was great with working as best we could around my work schedule and with drive times to the main office since we lived almost 2 hours away.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
They were great! One of the highest live birth rates I’ve heard of. Compared to friends treatments the cost is reasonable. And they work within your schedule and have additional satellite offices that were closer to me so I didn’t have to travel all the time.
In 2016 our cost for IVF was just under $10,000 and that included ICSI and all of our appointments. Not the cost of injectable medication I (the female) would need. My medications were an additional charge and based on how my body responded to the medication. That for me was about an additional $5000 total with a 25% discount through a discount company. The information was provided to me for that discount from our doctors.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Micheal Slowey] was very direct and helpful...effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October...First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked...The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that.
The clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing...We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she [the nurse] basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was direct and effective. We didn’t waste time, which was important to me. I went in August for consult and was pregnant by October. The clinic was very clean and professional and I felt like they knew what they were doing.
Train your head nurse to be more empathetic.
He was very direct and helpful, my only complaint was the nurse I had for the entire process. She wasn’t the kindest and made me not comfortable. This was a lot of money and hope and many other feelings and she wasn’t very sensitive to that. It could of been a much better experience.
First they checked my husbands sperm and once that checked out I went and got my Fallopian tubes checked. I did have to travel further for that procedure. The experience was good though, minus having to have a catheter put in. The clinic had me with different doctors though so I did not see Dr. slowey for that. Then I was on medication and shots. I got my blood drawn and ultrasound every 3 days to make sure my follicles were growing. Then I was instructed to use a trigger shot. There was a storm and the head nurse told me they wouldn’t be able to do my iui if the hurricane hit. That we would have to try again. So I ovulated a day early without the trigger shot and just had intercourse instead of the iui and we got lucky.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Heather Clayton)
She made me feel ridiculous for having concerns. We had a storm coming and instead of showing compassion about my worry that all this money and pain would all be for nothing, as I wouldn’t be able to do the iui she basically said tough that’s life I can’t control the weather. Even if there was nothing that could be done, her approach was terrible. It was the most vulnerable I ever felt and I would leave the meeting with her feeling sad and not hopeful. She was the only negative I take away from the clinic. Some people do jobs for too long.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
So wonderful, I went to both of their clinics and they are clean and professional and wonderful. The Lexington clinic is a little far out for me as well as Charleston but worth it. The waiting rooms weren’t cold and uncomfortable either .
I truly don’t remember it was a couple thousand and then meds were 200-300$ I was suppose to get iui which was another thousand but didn’t end up needing it.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he [Dr. Michael Slowey] will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
The care I received [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey is compassionate and no nonsense. He deals in facts and science, but will also tell you what he doesn't know (and there is a lot the doctors do not know in infertility!). He is not "touchy-feely", but yet is very kind and gentle. We were always getting new bad news (not their fault, just facts) and he never hid from telling us the truth, yet told us gently. He's a great doctor, has a tremendous amount of experience and cares about his patients.
Do not expect to fed rainbows - he will tell you the truth, even if it means not having you as a patient. That said, he is also willing to try/test certain theories, but not if he doesn't have any evidence that they will work (and not without making sure you understand what is going on). The staff will give you the hugs - he will give you his expertise, with a mix of hope and compassion too.
The care I received was outstanding. Everyone knew my name. We had an assigned nurse, who communicated with us clearly and quickly. Dr. Slowey spent all the time we needed explaining everything we asked, and answered us candidly. He told us what to expect, not falsely positive nor negative. Straight answers, with a lot of compassion and a bit of hope.
600 IU Ubiquinol for 3 months before starting. IVF 1: micro flare (short Lupron) protocol started with birth control pills Results: suppression did not work, "broke through" Lupron. Cycle cancelled. IVF 2: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide No birth control given (too strong) - used Estrace before stims instead. Results: 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. Day 3 transfer of 3 embryos (4th arrested on Day 4). Positive pregnancy - saw heartbeat - miscarriage at 9 weeks IVF 3: Antagonist Protocol w/Cetrotide (same as #2) Results: 5 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. Day 5 transfer of 3 Morulas (no blastocytes). Remaining 2 arrested Day 5. Negative pregnancy
The staff was amazing. The followed us on all the ups and downs, cheering us on (discreetly), and being especially sweet when things did not go well. They were always gentle and upbeat. Kelly was a fantastic communicator, always giving me the info when she said she would. I never had to wait. She knew I liked more info, so made sure to provide me with what I wanted to know. No question was too little. She knew our case well, and made sure we got everything we needed.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Since we were (probably) going to be spending the equivalent of a fancy sports car, it seemed only fair that the services and care should be on par, don't you think? Coastal Fertility excels here. We had been to a well known clinic in NY, in a depressing building, with a creepy waiting room. It was cold and scary. The doctor (highly rated by some) was the opposite of compassion. You could tell it was just a business for them. Not so at Coastal. It's clean, modern and nice. We were always taken on time, never made to wait. It is very discreet. New patients and those coming for a procedure don't cross paths. These guys are really organized! It was as nice as any fancy car showroom I've been to :)
Monitoring was easy and as pleasant as it is ever going to be. We were told to show up in a time frame (for example, between 7:30 and 9am). Once we were there, we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, if that. It seems that they would know in advance their busy times, and if they needed more time with us, would give us a specific time. Monitoring was really efficient.
Drugs were about $6k, and each round of IVF was about 13k. We were a difficult case, with a lot of monitoring.

2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Michael Slowey] was upfront and honest from the very first appointment. He never once told us things were impossible but he was clear it would not be easy. He didn’t try and tell us to attempt a treatment that wouldn’t work and he listened, I’ve been to so many doctors who never listened to me or what I was saying. To know that he listened and heard me and tried to adjust for what I needed based on my feedback was everything.
Every single person in the office [Coastal Fertility Specialists-Mt Pleasant] was wonderful, from the front desk all the way to dr. Slowey. We had a nurse coordinator Alison who brought us into the family and let us talk and vent and cry. They cared. They were happy when things were good and sad when it wasn’t.... It’s clean, it’s shiny, it’s new. I would be sure to tell someone new not to be intimidated. They care. They want to help. Don’t feel like you don’t belong there, you do. Trust them, be honest with them, be patient with them and they will help you.
2013 - 2015
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He was upfront and honest from the very first appointment. He never once told us things were impossible but he was clear it would not be easy. He didn’t try and tell us to attempt a treatment that wouldn’t work and he listened, I’ve been to so many doctors who never listened to me or what I was saying. To know that he listened and heard me and tried to adjust for what I needed based on my feedback was everything.
It’s hard, sometimes, to trust a doctor, but trust him. He will not steer you wrong. He wants this as much as you do.
Every single person in the office was wonderful, from the front desk all the way to dr. Slowey. We had a nurse coordinator Alison who brought us into the family and let us talk and vent and cry. They cared. They were happy when things were good and sad when it wasn’t.
The only thing I remember specifically is that we did NOT use clomid, as I had used it before with a different doctor and had a bad reaction.
They were so good even my husband felt at ease. They were good for everything from paperwork to the finance dept to not shaming my weight but encouraging me as I got healthier under their care.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
It was general 7-9am and they added offices while I was in their care so if I couldn’t drive the 2.5 hours to mt pleasant from where I lived there were offices that were closer.
I can’t recall the pricing for egg retrieval but I know that each cycle (at the time) was 1800 after the few expenses that could be billed to my insurance
After my first cycle miscarried, he was willing to try a multiple embryo transfer, but he was upfront about the dangers. And he would not try more than 2 embryos at once.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
We were very pleased with Dr. slowly. He made it a point to explain everything that he expected and possible issues that could arise ... Dr. Slowey ordered a hysteroscopy to check for a blocked tube. I was diagnosed with pcos, a blocked tube, and endometriosis. I had a salpingectomy per dr sloweys suggestion. Once healed dr slowey started me on gonal injections.
The entire team [Coastal Fertility Specialists] treated me like a person. Made sure that my husband and I understood everything and were 100% involved. Even though they have seen everything 100 times they never made me feel like I was bothering them by asking. My questions ... Everything is thoroughly explained and everyone’s sole goal is to help you get pregnant! They go through the highs and lows with you and really care about what happens. I would recommend this clinic to anyone who asks.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
We were very pleased with Dr. slowly. He made it a point to explain everything that he expected and possible issues that could arise. I had already been checked by my obgyn for a blocked Fallopian tube but the minute that dr slowly looked at the hysteroscopy he saw the issue. He was very caring and helpful in our journey for a baby!! Now we have a very loving, and happy son because of it.
Ask all the questions you can he is a wealth of knowledge!!
The entire team treated me like a person. Made sure that my husband and I understood everything and were 100% involved. Even though they have seen everything 100 times they never made me feel like I was bothering them by asking. My questions
We had tried for three months on our own and then I went to my obgyn for help as I had always had trouble with my period being abnormal. So he did several months of clomid and letrezole. When that didn’t work my ob refered is to dr slowey. Dr. Slowey ordered a hysteroscopy to check for a blocked tube. I was diagnosed with pcos, a blocked tube, and endometriosis. I had a salpingectomy per dr sloweys suggestion. Once healed dr slowey started me on gonal injections. My body took a large amount of medications to respond. At the end of the first cycle we did an Iui but it didn’t take. We did a second round of medications and an iui and we became pregnant with twins. We had weekly ultrasounds. Week seven we lost one of the babies. We were told that it is very common and that it nature’s way of keeping the stronger of the two babies. Dr. Slowey and his staff were so sweet to us and really tried to help us understand what happened. After that we had a very happy healthy pregnancy!!!!
I loved our nurse and medical technician!!! They were everything to us!
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Most of our cost came from the injectibles.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Slowey is incredibly smart and explained things to my husband and I very clearly. Whenever he saw us he took his time and was compassionate. When we got pregnant after four rounds, he gave us a book with a message in it that meant a lot to my husband and I.... I have pcos and clomid, nor Femera were making me ovulate so we went straight to injectables. I was monitored by ultra sound and blood work every other day and then given a trigger shot to make me ovulate. We did timed intercourse the month that we conceived.
Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff [at Coastal Fertility Specialists] was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.... Kelly did a great job at being compassionate. I had to following up repeatedly on treatment with her but understood from the beginning that it was my responsibility to do so.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
That the wait time is worth it. Be patient, and know that you are in excellent hands.
I had frequent contact with Dr Sloweys staff and I felt like we were all in the same team. The day I had my firs ultra sound to confirm my pregnancy the ultra sound tech was crying happy tears with me. When I was ten weeks along and graduating to my regular obgyn, Dr Slowey gave me a Children’s book with a message of congratulations written in it. It meant a lot to us. I Highly recommend this clinic.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Very efficient, clean and compassionate. all the staff was friendly and easy to talk to. Easy to work with my work schedule. As I was working full time at that point. We loved our dr and nurses and would recommend the clinic to a friend.
My insurance didn’t cover any of our procedures so we paid about 10,000 out of pocket in the four months we saw him.
+ Read more- Read less
We have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility recently and haven’t started on any regimens yet. ... Dr Slowey has a very warm heart and a very strong act for the job he is doing. He is never hesitent to answer any questions and was always so eager to discuss every option with us. On the days of the appointments that my husband was not able to attend, he’s active duty military, Dr Slowey made sure I had every possible reading material on what we discussed for that day to take home to him.
This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is very well organized and put together. From the beginning we have not had any issues with the staff. From the time we walk into the door, all the way until the time we exit the door at the end of the appointment, the staff and clinic are incredible. ... Kelly, my nursing coordinator, has hands down been the best contact we’ve had in the entire facility. We love everyone there but she has always been more then willing to help us and talk to us about anything that we are going through.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Have faith! He will be by your side until the end.
Dr Slowey is always more then willing to answer any and all questions we have. He has been by my side to hold my hand every step of the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is very well organized and put together. From the beginning we have not had any issues with the staff. From the time we walk into the door, all the way until the time we exit the door at the end of the appointment, the staff and clinic are incredible.
We have not don’t the IUI implantation yet but if the billing is correct, our estimate is around $1700.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Slowey is very knowledgeable and kind. He always made sure we had everything we needed. He made sure I was comfortable during procedures. He answered any questions we had. He never made us wait at our appointments. ... We started with IUI cycles with gonal-f. After my ectopic pregnancy, he recommended we have our tubes rechecked and from there we went straight to IVF using gonal-f and a couple of other meds that I can’t remember the names of.
The entire staff at Coastal Fertility is amazing. They all know your name and your husbands name. My nurse was always so nice and informative giving us demonstrations on how to use the medications and injections. The other nurses always helped out too with blood draws and ultrasounds. ... I did have to re-sign one of my consent forms because they had lost or accidentally shredded the first one. I also had a medication that was last minute getting called in because of a communication error.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions
He always made sure I was comfortable during procedure and made sure my husband and I had all our questions answered.
We started with IUI cycles with gonal-f. After my ectopic pregnancy, he recommended we have our tubes rechecked and from there we went straight to IVF using gonal-f and a couple of other meds that I can’t remember the names of. He had to increase our doses which worked very well to produce plenty of eggs. We also did a frozen cycle. We used Progesterone and estrogen. It was a successful cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Cherub Hutto)
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is fairly easy to find although the Lexington office is a bit on the small side. It is a clean facility with clean equipment. I do think they could use new ultrasound machines. The office in Mt Pleasant is really nice and big and is also easy to find.
I just remember each IUI cycle was around 2000 and the IVF was around 10,000 in total
He recommended that we only transfer one embryo as we are young and have no obvious issues other than unexplained infertility. We were in agreement with him as we didn’t want to chance the possibility of triplets.
+ Read more- Read less
He is very thorough. He tells it to you "just like it is." I prefer a doctor who is very blunt and realistic, and he is. However he is very kind, and you can tell he wants you to be successful! He also will let you make some of the decisions if they are within his suggested parameters.... I saw Dr. Slowey initially at MUSC, as he is a professor there. It helped my insurance cover my initial consultation.... He always took the time to hear our concerns. He was interested in us, our goals and what our past had looked like.
This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is wonderful. From the time you walk in the door to the exam room, you know they care about you. They get to know you, your name, your story, your husband ... they accommodate you in the best way possible. Also, out of all of the clinics in the area, they don't batch cycles and they have the most experience!... Allison and my schedule did not always line up (I had early appointments.) However she always made sure my information was ready with another nurse (either Becky or Kelly) and I would highly recommend them both. Allison was very knowledgeable and compassionate.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I did IUIs with Gonal F, Letrazole and a trigger shot. I have unexplained fertility and I have had one successful pregnancy with Letrazole and one missed miscarriage with natural conception.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is wonderful. From the time you walk in the door to the exam room, you know they care about you. They get to know you, your name, your story, your husband ... they accommodate you in the best way possible. Also, out of all of the clinics in the area, they don't batch cycles and they have the most experience!
My costs were somewhat covered by my insurance. I typically paid about $600 out of pocket for meds and procedure per IUI.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Slowey is very knowledgeable and understands this process very well. He wants the best outcomes for all patients and knows how stressful this is. We are very impressed with him and know that he treats his patients with respect and compassion.... He does not sugar coat. Which is a good thing but can be difficult to hear. He is amazing and talented and very realistic.... With my condition of low ovarian reserve, he decided to implant 2 each time in hopes one would implant and be successful.
Strengths [of Coastal Fertility Specialists]: compassionate, very professional. Offer free meds at times if they have extra available. Weaknesses: cost of treatment is very high. Wish there were more clinic programs that they would offer to multiple failed cycles.... Allison is wonderful and has been through IVF several times herself. I appreciated her coordinating everything for us and her compassion when we were unsuccessful.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is a very great doctor. This process is so exhausting and overwhelming but he tries to keep me calm and realistic. I just wish our outcomes were better.
Antagonist protocol: birth control pills for 2 weeks. We believe this oversuppressed me and i didn’t produce many eggs. Microflare Protocol was better and i produced 6 eggs. 4 were great quality and we did a fresh 3 day 2 embryo transfer. Negative pregnancy. 2 made to blast. Transferred the remaining 2 embryos and miscarried at 8’weeks.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Strengths: compassionate, very professional. Offer free meds at times if they have extra available. Weaknesses: cost of treatment is very high. Wish there were more clinic programs that they would offer to multiple failed cycles.
Over 16k for procedure and medications
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Slowey] spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.... He is a little stand-offish at times but I believe that is cultural difference; i.e., North vs. South. It is also hard to actually meet with him rather than the nurses. I believe that is due to the size and number of branch offices the practice has rather his personal doing. However, he is very compassionate and when meeting, is fully present in the moment with you as a patient.
The staff [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.... Cherub [nurse] is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would tell them to be prepared to rarely see him but trust in his plan for you, barring a major setback.
He spoke rationally to me and allayed my concerns and fears. Plus, when I asked questions, he fully answered them. He was also sympathetic to my personal history.
Cherub is very nice, warm, and understanding on a face to face basic. She makes you feel like you are the only patient she has. However, on an correspondence level, she is horrible. Her emails are blunt, abrupt, and at times very cold. This is a major disconnect for the emotionally vulnerable patient.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
The staff is very nice and personable. However, the higher medical staff is hard to meet with and are very rarely available to see on a non-appointment basis. There are so many branch offices that the doctors are spread thin and a patient does not know when or if they will see their doctor again. There is little medical support nor do I feel like I truly have a personal RE.
+ Read more- Read less

During my first IUI [with Dr. Michael Slowey] we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test... did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350 [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]...The clinic provided a calming and inviting atmosphere which is so important! One thing I think they could work on is better communication with their patients. I had very little contact with my nurse coordinator due to her being out of town so frequently...My nurse was very helpful and friendly during the few visits I had with her. Unfortunately Kelly was out of town the majority of my time as a patient.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey was a very kind and professional doctor. I only met with him a few times but each time he made sure I understood anything I needed to know and answered any questions I had. He was very thorough in explaining the options we had and our diagnosis.
Make sure to write down any questions or concerns you may have to ask Dr. Slowey during your appointment. No question is a stupid one!
Dr. Slowey did an excellent job explaining everything and making sure my husband and I felt comfortable with the IUI process.
During my first IUI we used the lowest dosage of Gonal f and letrozole to hopefully prevent me from overstimulating. I only produced one follicle during my first cycle and unfortunately it was unsuccessful. On my second IUI we increased the amount of Gonal f injections as well as the dosage but had the same result, only one follicle and a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Mollison )
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
My insurance covered the monitoring and blood work so I was left to pay for the procedure as well as the medicine. The IUI procedure cost $625 and the medicine was $300-350.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Michael Slowy] is very smart but speaks in complex medical terms. He gave poor news over the phone and did not give us any hope. I have undergone no treatment to date and yet he immediately jumped to donor eggs.... Baseline tests, start coq10 (type was not discussed), hsg. We declined to move forward with him and donor eggs.... He gave me poor statistics over the phone 3 days before Christmas in under 5 minutes.
Beautiful clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists]. Easy location. The clinical staff and front desk staff were very helpful and kind. They are priced higher than other clinics we found in the US and don’t offer the same value as they are not into advanced treatments like mini ivf or PRP.... Allison was hardly available. She was rude over the phone in explaining certain things. When asked about the rationale behind donor eggs and no other treatment first to see what kind of response I would produce she was snarky and demeaning.
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very smart but speaks in complex medical terms. He gave poor news over the phone and did not give us any hope. I have undergone no treatment to date and yet he immediately jumped to donor eggs.
Do your own research.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Beautiful clinic. Easy location. The clinical staff and front desk staff were very helpful and kind. They are priced higher than other clinics we found in the US and don’t offer the same value as they are not into advanced treatments like mini ivf or PRP.
Maxing out $15k insurance and still needing to pay $4,500 out of pocket without meds.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr Slowey has been absolutely wonderful. He is very informative and shows genuine concern for his patients. He is companionate and passionate about the work that he is doing. He explains everything thoroughly and provides information to take home to read for even more understanding....The first time we transferred one embryo because of the risk of multiples. We were unsuccessful, so the second transfer we used 2 and 1 resulted in a sweet healthy baby boy.
The staff at Coastal Fertility Specialists are absolutely amazing. Everyone from the front desk to the doctors are so helpful and kind. I have met several people who were experiencing infertility and I have recommended that they go to Coastal because we had such a great experience. They have had positive experiences as well and successful transfers.... Jan was very supportive. She was available and eager to answer questions that we had through the process.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Stay positive, keep persevering and your dream to have a baby will happen!
I highly recommend Dr Slowey and the staff of Coastal Fertility Specialists. They make the process positive, even when I had negative results Dr Slowey made it easy to stay positive!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Jan)
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Slowey did take the time to explain things to us in a way we could understand. He also didn’t push us towards more aggressive treatments as he did not feel they were necessary given our situation at that time.... He is very thorough and offered us a lot of help in determining our best treatment plan, in addition to giving us a clearer sense of our time line.
[Coastal Fertility Specialists-Mount Pleasant is a] Busy clinic with state of the art equipment. Lab is onsite (I believe). I like the clinic. It was comfortable but it was very busy. At points seemed slightly disorganized with what was going on due to large staff and clinic patient volume... [the nurse was] Very helpful when you could get in touch with her. Very hard to get in touch with at times
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
He is very thorough and offered us a lot of help in determining our best treatment plan, in addition to giving us a clearer sense of our time line. I would recommend him to anyone seeking fertility treatment
Utilize the consultation to address all questions and concerns. We asked some questions that I feel silly about now but he is a great professional and answered them as a credible. He seems to realize these are scary procedures
Polyp removal and iui
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Ribiero)
About $2500 per iui cycle
+ Read more- Read less

Dr Slowey seemed like the right fit at our initial consultation. I was frustrated that he did not actually perform my procedure and it was someone that I had never met. I don’t feel like all options or recommendations were fully discussed and we basically just did the same thing for my 2nd treatment with no adjustments or exploration of different/betters options
Professional and clean environment [Coastal Fertility Specialists]. Seems to be a little disconnect between all members who are involved with your care. Not everyone on the same page at all times. I had to explain what was supposed to be going on to someone who should have already been aware of what I was there for specifically at that appointment ... In total spent about $6,000 for initial testing and 2 IUI cycles
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
You pretty much have to be your own advocate if you think things should be changed
Dr Slowey was very kind and understanding and seemed like he cared
We did oral and injectable meds I do not remember the doses.
Very matter of fact didn’t really get to know you or your situation
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Professional and clean environment. Seems to be a little disconnect between all members who are involved with your care. Not everyone on the same page at all times. I had to explain what was supposed to be going on to someone who should have already been aware of what I was there for specifically at that appointment
In total spent about $6,000 for initial testing and 2 IUI cycles

2013 - 2016
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
Dr. Slowly was very relatable and easy to talk to. When my husband and I sat down to discuss our options we often felt like we were sitting down with a friend instead of a doctor. He always expressed concern with the emotional aspect of fertility treatment as well. I always felt as if I was getting the best care. ... Dr. Slowly treated my husband and myself with the upmost respect. He was honest and open concerning our options and always followed up with us and addressed all of our concerns during our treatment at Coastal Fertility Specialist.
I was on the heaviest medication protocol used by Coastal Fertility. ... Allison was an awesome nurse. She was able to talk us through each step of the IVF process. She used her own personal infertility journey to ease our nerves along the way. She never left us wondering what to expect next or uneasy about the process. She was an awesome nurse !
2013 - 2016
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Never get overwhelmed by the beginning process if Fertility treatments. Dr. Slowly abd his team are always with you every step of the way.
I was on the heaviest medication protocol used by Coastal Fertility.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Riberio)
I had poor egg quality and quantity so elective single embroyo transfer was never an option for us.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
We’ve ran every test [with Dr. Slowey] there is on both my husband and I. We’ve done metformin for my PCOS, we’ve done HSGs and injectable medications, and progesterone. I usually get pregnant but don’t stay pregnant...Dr. Slowey does an excellent job of being kind, sensitive, but also informative... Unfortunately reoccuring miscarriages are my issue, but he has been very comforting and kind. What’s left for us is IVF.
Overall this [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is a fabulous clinic, only complaint is when my nurse is away, and doesn’t let me know, or let me know who I should be in contact with if I need them. Everyone is kind, compassionate, and gentle...I like my nurse, she’s very kind...We’ve ran every test there is on both my husband and I. We’ve done metformin for my PCOS, we’ve done HSGs and injectable medications, and progesterone. I usually get pregnant but don’t stay pregnant.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Slowey has been very thourough running every test he can think of for my husband and I both. Unfortunately reoccuring miscarriages are my issue, but he has been very comforting and kind. What’s left for us is IVF.
Do not be afraid to ask questions!
I like my nurse, she’s very kind, however she doesn’t let me know when she will be out of the office for a while, which is inconvenient when you’re on a time frame.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Overall this is a fabulous clinic, only complaint is when my nurse is away, and doesn’t let me know, or let me know who I should be in contact with if I need them. Everyone is kind, compassionate, and gentle.
My insurance covers the appointments, but treatments are expensive.
+ Read more- Read less

He treated us with compassion and understanding. ... Dr. Slowey reviewed my information card about me as well as my husband individually and collectively. The importance wasn't just about helping us get pregnant but keeping me around to be a mother as well as a grandmother. He cared about the whole person. ... we would see Dr. Slowey and then see his nurse who reiterated everything to us and wanted to assure that we understood everything fully.
This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is full of professionals who care, who know the struggles that couples, individuals have face with trying to conceive. I like how the majority of things can take place in this one setting. ... From the consult to beginning testing. With insurance everything was reasonable ... [Nurse] She was always avail
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Come with a listening ear to receive the knowledge and know that they will do whatever they can to assist you.
He treated us with compassion and understanding.
I dont totally remember everything but we would see Dr. Slowey and then see his nurse who reiterated everything to us and wanted to assure that we understood everything fully.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Coastal Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Allison Ribero )
She was always avail
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is full of professionals who care, who know the struggles that couples, individuals have face with trying to conceive. I like how the majority of things can take place in this one setting.
From the consult to beginning testing. With insurance everything was reasonable
+ Read more- Read less

IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan [with Dr. Slowey]. He looked at my full health and fertility history...He has very good bedside manner, warm and kind but still very professional and informative. He treated me like a person and not a statistic and explained to me the whole process and why he was doing what he was doing.
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan [at Coastal Fertility Specialists]. He [Dr. Michael Slowey] looked at my full health and fertility history...She [nurse] is awesome! Super personable and like a best friend almost...we had to pay upfront for all treatment ...Organized, beautiful and clean.
IUI, 1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
I would just recommend him to anyone. He gave me the reality but also left me with a clear plan of action. I felt informed and hopeful. As I said before, he treats you as a person and not a statistic.
I don't have any.
We started with ultrasound, RPL and HSG to make sure that there weren't some other issues before delving into my treatment plan. He looked at my full health and fertility history.
She is awesome! Super personable and like a best friend almost.
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
Organized, beautiful and clean.
Some of our costs were covered by insurance but we still had out of pocket and we had to pay upfront for all treatment and the portion that was not met by our insurance deductible.

2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr Slowey and his team did an excellent job of explaining each and every step to us in full detail and walked us through the entire process from start to finish. Everyone in the office knew our names and we're very friendly and knowledgeable.
2012 - 2015
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
Dr. slowly as a dedicated an honest man they put faith in his work to make sure you understand your condition it out come and pros and cons of everything and price is the last thing he tells you he is amazing his weakness is he cares to much for his patience... he sits and go over everything in detail and tell you the outcome and chances until you understand....did ultrasound to check follicles he went over test and outcomes.
This clinic [Coastal Fertility Specialists] is a loyalty and dependable and understanding way or knowledge of his patients conditions and show compassion with them as they was going to the same they have no weaknesses they have open communication you can call them anytime during the hours or have any questions they are special people that I will recommend for anyone to go today clinc... She [nurse] was nice and kind and understanding and out of all my questions
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Michael Slowey at Coastal Fertility Specialists?
Loyalty and dedicated he is a good doctor
Because he sits and go over everything in detail and tell you the outcome and chances until you understand.
Did paperwork did ultrasound to check follicles he went over test and outcomes.
She was nice and kind and understanding and out of all my questions
Describe your experience with Coastal Fertility Specialists.
This clinic is a loyalty and dependable and understanding way or knowledge of his patients conditions and show compassion with them as they was going to the same they have no weaknesses they have open communication you can call them anytime during the hours or have any questions they are special people that I will recommend for anyone to go today clinc
Ivf with egg donar