Not available by email
FellowshipU. of Texas Southwestern
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Steinkampf to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alabama Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Dr Steinkampf was very blunt when it came to my care and conceiving. He told us there is no guarantee we would have baby but he believed all I needed to do was an IUI, clomid and metformin. He was very thorough when he explained everything.... I’d already had blood work and other things done at my obgyn so he didn’t push for a full blood work up. He went off my health history/MEdical records.... He was just as emotionally involved as we were.
How was your experience with Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr Steinkampf was very blunt when it came to my care and conceiving. He told us there is no guarantee we would have baby but he believed all I needed to do was an IUI, clomid and metformin. He was very thorough when he explained everything. He also had a great sense of humor. He was very compassionate and hugged us when we graduated from the fertility clinic to an OBGYN. I can honestly say I think it is definitely his calling. Finding out we were pregnant brought him just as much joy as it did us!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
He will do what it takes for you to have baby. If there is a way, he will find it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
He was just as emotionally involved as we were. He was outstanding with his bedside manner and funny also. He could tell how bad we wanted a baby and we could tell he was going to do whatever he could to make sure that it happened. I’d already had blood work and other things done at my obgyn so he didn’t push for a full blood work up. He went off my health history/MEdical records.
Describe the protocols Michael Steinkampf used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
Clomid 50mg a day for 5 days Metformin twice a day I think 5 or 10s IuI
They were wonderful. They were very friendly. They always helped me feel comfortable and very accommodating.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
We paid out of pocket for everything and they worked with us. Dr Steinkampf made sure to only do what was necessary so financially that helped a lot. The staff makes sure you know when your appointments and they are always smiling even though they are dealing with very hormonal women. They make sure in multiple forms that you know when your appointments are.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
We ended up spending around $1500 I think but that included all blood work, US, and 2 IuIs
Birmingham

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists.

2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr. Michael Steinkampf] took the time to review all my records with me, we discussed each test and what the results mean and he made it a priority to deal with my pain first before moving forward to fertility options. He always gives me my options straightforward and then allows me to ask questions and decide how we will proceed. I have never felt pressured to move forward with a treatment unless I was ready to do so.
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
I came from another fertility clinic where I went 3 years without any answers. He took the time to review all my records with me, we discussed each test and what the results mean and he made it a priority to deal with my pain first before moving forward to fertility options. He always gives me my options straightforward and then allows me to ask questions and decide how we will proceed. I have never felt pressured to move forward with a treatment unless I was ready to do so.
Be ready to tackle infertility head on. He works to get results. Don't be afraid to ask him questions or ask him why he recommends a certain procedure. He will gladly answer!
The entire office knows my name, and are genuinely concerned about me and my husband. Dr. S is patient and kind and never hesitates to spend time going over my records and answering my many questions.
He did laparoscopic surgery to diagnose and remove endometriosis spots first. He then treated my husband for male factor infertility, when we didn't get results there he referred us to the best male infertility urologist in Atlanta for treatment. We then did 3 cycles of IUI with 100mg of clomid and tracking ovulation. Those resulted in negative tests. We are now scheduled for IVF in July 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Karen Hammond)
The entire staff is wonderful, caring and very helpful every time we are in the office and on the phone as well. I never have to "wait for a call back" when I call and have a question.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is small but I feel that's what makes it great. You are really a person there, not a number. They only do IVF cycles during certain times each year, which means you may have to wait for the next cycle to proceed, but this is so they can focus on IVF patients and give them the attention and care they need for a successful cycle.
Most initial meds were covered under my insurance. (Clomid, etc) The iui is $325 for each cycle. IVF will be around $15,000 including medications, I believe.
Birmingham

Dr. Steincampf really spent a lot of time going over all my medical records with my husband and I. Spent about 45 mins with us discussing his plan and looking over my records. He was very thorough and answered all of our questions and explained all benefits and risks.... He was always very nice and thorough with all of my appts. Always encouraged us and said he was rooting for us. He would always make sure we felt comfortable during the procedure and made sure we didn’t have any questions
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: We had Karen Hammond DNP see us a couple times)
Nursing staff was always very compassionate and had a smile on their face. Willing to go an extra mile if needed and would always make sure I was comfortable as the patient. They were always eager to help with anything.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Very prompt to answer your questions, scheduling appts. Easy to work around peoples schedules to find them an appt that works best. Always had someone on call 24 hours in case you needed someone. Not a super busy clinic that made you feel like you were crammed in there

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr. Steinkampf is a great doctor. You can tell he is very smart. At times he can be too smart if that makes sense. At times you just need someone to talk you through what's going on on your level rather than talk on a doctor level, but you can tell he definitely knows his stuff...He is a facts kind of guy, not real emotional. Gives it to you straight...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
He is a facts kind of guy, not real emotional. Gives it to you straight.
They are a smaller office so they definitely know you, but there are times where the process was not explained and that you were just expected to know how and when to give yourself the shots. It may not change, but when you had to take a cycle off and with it being such an emotional experience, you want to make sure you're doing everything correctly.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr. Steinkampf is definitely a smart man and great doctor. Sometimes you kind of need him to talk on your level, but he gives it to you straight without a lot of emotion one way or the other... He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
He is blunt and gives you information as a doctor. He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
It is a smaller office which is a benefit, but you still get the feeling at times that you are just another patient. You cannot reach the nurse practitioner with questions.
She handles the ultrasounds so I actually see Karen more than Dr. Steinkampf which is fine, but I get the impression her IVF patients are more important to her. I have just always felt like they were going through the motions with me.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists?