Medical SchoolLouisiana St
FellowshipU. of Texas Southwestern
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Steinkampf to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alabama Fertility Specialists to a friend?
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
He [Dr. Michael Steinkampf] took the time to review all my records with me, we discussed each test and what the results mean and he made it a priority to deal with my pain first before moving forward to fertility options. He always gives me my options straightforward and then allows me to ask questions and decide how we will proceed. I have never felt pressured to move forward with a treatment unless I was ready to do so.
2014 - 2017
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
I came from another fertility clinic where I went 3 years without any answers. He took the time to review all my records with me, we discussed each test and what the results mean and he made it a priority to deal with my pain first before moving forward to fertility options. He always gives me my options straightforward and then allows me to ask questions and decide how we will proceed. I have never felt pressured to move forward with a treatment unless I was ready to do so.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Be ready to tackle infertility head on. He works to get results. Don't be afraid to ask him questions or ask him why he recommends a certain procedure. He will gladly answer!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
The entire office knows my name, and are genuinely concerned about me and my husband. Dr. S is patient and kind and never hesitates to spend time going over my records and answering my many questions.
Describe the protocols Michael Steinkampf used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
He did laparoscopic surgery to diagnose and remove endometriosis spots first. He then treated my husband for male factor infertility, when we didn't get results there he referred us to the best male infertility urologist in Atlanta for treatment. We then did 3 cycles of IUI with 100mg of clomid and tracking ovulation. Those resulted in negative tests. We are now scheduled for IVF in July 2017.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Karen Hammond)
The entire staff is wonderful, caring and very helpful every time we are in the office and on the phone as well. I never have to "wait for a call back" when I call and have a question.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
The clinic is small but I feel that's what makes it great. You are really a person there, not a number. They only do IVF cycles during certain times each year, which means you may have to wait for the next cycle to proceed, but this is so they can focus on IVF patients and give them the attention and care they need for a successful cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Steinkampf at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Most initial meds were covered under my insurance. (Clomid, etc) The iui is $325 for each cycle. IVF will be around $15,000 including medications, I believe.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr. Steinkampf is a great doctor. You can tell he is very smart. At times he can be too smart if that makes sense. At times you just need someone to talk you through what's going on on your level rather than talk on a doctor level, but you can tell he definitely knows his stuff...He is a facts kind of guy, not real emotional. Gives it to you straight...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
He is a facts kind of guy, not real emotional. Gives it to you straight.
They are a smaller office so they definitely know you, but there are times where the process was not explained and that you were just expected to know how and when to give yourself the shots. It may not change, but when you had to take a cycle off and with it being such an emotional experience, you want to make sure you're doing everything correctly.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
Dr. Steinkampf is definitely a smart man and great doctor. Sometimes you kind of need him to talk on your level, but he gives it to you straight without a lot of emotion one way or the other... He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
He is blunt and gives you information as a doctor. He is not an emotional man and doesn't coddle you if that makes sense.
It is a smaller office which is a benefit, but you still get the feeling at times that you are just another patient. You cannot reach the nurse practitioner with questions.
She handles the ultrasounds so I actually see Karen more than Dr. Steinkampf which is fine, but I get the impression her IVF patients are more important to her. I have just always felt like they were going through the motions with me.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists?