Medical SchoolU. of Illinois
2123 Auburn Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45219
7675 Wellness Way
West Chester, OH 45069
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michael Thomas to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UC Health Center for Reproductive Health to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 88%Don't recommend: 12%9
Dr. Thomas was a wonderful doctor to work with at such a stressful time. He helped us get through the miscarriage and on to our next successful pregnancy. We couldn’t be happier with the level and quality of care that we received. ... From the very beginning Dr. Thomas was very nice and talked to me like a person. He treated me like he really cared about helping us start a family. When we had a miscarriage he was very sympathetic and when we got our positive he was happy right with us.
How was your experience with Michael Thomas at UC Health Center for Reproductive Health?
Dr. Thomas was a wonderful doctor to work with at such a stressful time. He helped us get through the miscarriage and on to our next successful pregnancy. We couldn’t be happier with the level and quality of care that we received. We recommend him to anyone that’s having fertility issues. We will definitely use him to conceive our second child.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Thomas at UC Health Center for Reproductive Health?
Be prepared to work with a doctor that actually cares
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Thomas at UC Health Center for Reproductive Health?
Describe the protocols Michael Thomas used in your cycles at UC Health Center for Reproductive Health and their degree of success.
At my first appointment blood work was taken to check levels and it was discovered that my ovarian reserve could potentially be low. It was recommended that I lose weight. An HSG test was ordered to make sure my tubes and things were clear, which they were. I lost some weight and my ovarian reserve number improved. I was started with 100mg of clomid on cycle day 3 for 5 days. I then went in for a scan of my follicles and to check my uterine lining. My follicles weren't quite big enough yet so I had a second scan. This time they were and I was instructed to administer an ovidrel injection in the evening and have my iui 36 hours later. After the iui I started taking progesterone suppositories twice a day until day 14 when I got a positive pregnancy test. I went in for an HCG blood draw and it confirmed I was pregnant. I went the following week and my HCG levels rose. I schedules an ultrasound for 2 weeks after, which put me at 7 weeks pregnant. At the scan it was discovered there was a yolk sac but no heartbeat or fetal pole. At 9 weeks it was confirmed the pregnancy was not going to progress and I was to stop the progesterone and induce a miscarriage. After the miscarriage I had to have weekly blood work to make sure my HCG levels were going back to 0. At my second attempt I saw a different doctor in the same practice. She continued me on 100mg of clomid and at my follicle scan estimated when my follicles would be big enough and had me do an ovidrel injection 24 hours before the iui, this resulted in a negative pregnancy test. My 3rd try was with Dr. Thomas again and he upped my clomid to 150mg. I grew a decent size follicle and did ovidrel 36 hours before my iui. This iui resulted in a pregnancy that continued to a live birth.
During my first iui the nursing staff was very nice and friendly. Later on I saw some different nurses and they weren't as friendly or helpful.
Describe your experience with UC Health Center for Reproductive Health.
UC Health is like a well oiled machine when it comes to making babies. They use a very straight forward approach and are not out to waste your time or money. The doctors in the practice are very knowledgable and great at what they do. I will definitely be using this clinic for future babies.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Thomas at UC Health Center for Reproductive Health.
Some of my initial visits and HSG testing were covered by my insurance. I do not have fertility coverage so had to pay $1400 out of pocket, which included the follicle scans, blood work, and iui. The medication was another out of pocket cost from the pharmacy.
Describe Michael Thomas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UC Health Center for Reproductive Health.
We did not do this so I cannot comment.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Thomas and all of the other doctors at his office that I had seen were always just as passionate about me getting pregnant as I was. They made what was an uncomfortable, embarrassing, and emotional experience seem like something natural and not embarrassing... He was always giving me places that provided the least expensive medications to give us an even bigger break in price. He is great about bringing a smile to your face and having the answers. He does work with UC students so he has students with them and teaching them but only if you allow them in the room.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
He was always great at calling me about my blood test results immediately when they came in. His office was great at getting me appointments when they needed to happen. The cost of treatment was actually fair. He was always giving me places that provided the least expensive medications to give us an even bigger break in price. He is great about bringing a smile to your face and having the answers. He does work with UC students so he has students with them and teaching them but only if you allow them in the room.
Be open minded and prepared for success! His staff will take you in like family and he will take care of you and come up with a treatment plan. He is so kind! Also be prepared for medical students to be at your appointment if you allow them to be (it’s only one student for a while then switches to another student).
The receptionist (she is no longer there) was always so happy to see me, start a conversation and was genuinely interested in how things were going. When my son was born, she called me to congratulate me and was excited to meet him when I brought him to an appointment. Dr. Thomas and all of the other doctors at his office that I had seen were always just as passionate about me getting pregnant as I was. They made what was an uncomfortable, embarrassing, and emotional experience seem like something natural and not embarrassing.
He had me come in for blood tests and a test for my tubes to make sure they are open. I had to take letrozole and ovadrel shots. Initially he had me put on a couple estrogen patches to ensure that my lining built up like it should (I also have high testosterone so the balance was needed). I came in for ultrasounds to check my egg growth and if it was good, I took my shot, if not I came back a day or two later and checked again. From the day I took my shot to 5 days out, I had intercourse with my husband every day. And then began doing progesterone suppositories. Then tested two weeks later. When we finally got our positive (after upping the letrozole a couple times), I went in for blood work to confirm. Once it was confirmed then he did an ultrasound at 5 weeks and every other week until I reached 10 weeks.
They all remembered me and my life situation and asked how everything was going every time I came in. The nurses were always so nice and upbeat, which was great during such a rough time that no one around me understood.
Describe your experience with UC Health Center for Reproductive Health.
The waiting room at the Mt. Auburn location was very small but the rooms were very spacious. It was also a little tricky to find my first time there but was easy after that. The decor in West Chester was great. The free coffee/tea in the keurig was a nice touch and so was the essential oil diffuser.
They did bundle pricing for treatments to make it cheaper for those that would definitely need more than one ultrasound and Office visits in a cycle. They do take insurance and will tell you what is covered and also help to let you know when you’re close to limits.
2013 - 2017
Dr. Thomas was very hands on in the process. He did have other MDs on staff and frequently had medical students with him and they were all very professional. He was very good at explaining the process, involving me in timelines, and answering questions... We transferred 2 on the first time, which resulted in a twin pregnancy. The second attempt only one embryo survived the thaw, no pregnancy. The third attempt both embryos survived the thaw and both were implanted resulted in a singleton pregnancy that resulted in live birth
2013 - 2017
Be prepared with questions when you go in.
I feel like they knew me and my story every time I went in. After my miscarriage I didn't visit the office for some time, I did not like when I went back the second time I had to tell what happened. Like they should have been able to look in my chart and see what happened
I don't remember much about the original protocol. On the frozen embryos transfer I started with lupron injections, then estrogen patches and then a few days before implanting we started progesterone IM injections which continued until 10 weeks.
I love the nursing staff! There is one nurse who even over 4-5 years remembers me and my story and makes me feel like I'm the only patient she has
Describe your experience with UC Health Center for Reproductive Health.
There is an office in West Chester and there used to be one in Cincinnati. I think they're trying to expand services so that may affect who you see, they might be bringing in new MDs. Scheduling can be tricky
My original treatment I had insurance coverage. The second and third time I was self pay, there was a flat fee for FET.
West Chester
Dr. Thomas was always easy to speak with... He was very intelligent and seemed to know what he was doing. He was professional. At times though it felt like he was too busy. We chose him because of his experience. We didn’t want to have to see so many doctors in the course of our treatment.... For our retrieval we stimmed with Follistim and menopur. I don’t remember dosages but do remember that we went up on the dosage midway in the cycle. We used ganirelix and we used pregnitude to trigger. On our FET protocol we used Lupron, progesterone, and estradiol.
Be prepared to be seen by many doctors.
Dr. Thomas was always easy to speak with and his office staff were great.
The nursing staff were great. They were very nice and compassionate. They took a little longer than I liked to respond to calls and messages.
Describe your experience with UC Health Center for Reproductive Health.
The clinic was very clean and tidy. Wwe appreciated that. The staff were overall a pleasure to work with. I wish we would have been better coached on ways to make our eqq/sperm quality better before our cycle started so that our embryos may have been better quality and our results may have been better.
Our single IVF package was $10,635. The FET package was $3,330. The IUI was $1,500.
They pushed for eSET too much.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Thomas is overall very thorough and very easy to talk to. He is very upfront with you about the situation and what your options are. I asked for his to be honest and he told me he believed our only option would be IVF unless the meds helped with my husbands side of things. He said they would try IUI first if that was what we wanted but didn't have great feelings about our chances. When our situation changed slightly for the better, he then told us it was well worth trying the IUI first. I feel like he could have told us to go straight for the more invasive/expensive procedure and didn't.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
I have only been through one round of treatment but I'm still happy about where we are with Dr. Thomas.
We have put my husband on 25 mg of clomid which has increased his numbers and we have gone through one round of IUI which consisted of me taking 100mg of clomid for 5 days and then taking a shot of ovidrel to force ovulation before the procedure. It did not work the first round and we are readying for the second now.
Have not been billed yet
2005 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He [Dr. Michael Thomas] new what he was talking about he explained thing for us to understand. Was very friendly. When it did not work he was able to comfort me still and be professional and explain the next steps when I was ready... Would talk to me where I could under stand and not use all the doctor talk... I had to go in a few times a week to check and see if my eggs where growing.
2005 - 2016
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He new what he was talking about he explained thing for us to understand. Was very friendly. When it did not work he was able to comfort me still and be professional and explain the next steps when I was ready.
Right down your question at home because when you get there you don't forget them. If you don't understand something ask.
He was very friendly. Would talk to me where I could under stand and not use all the doctor talk.
I don't remember really but I know I had to go in a few times a week to check and see if my eggs where growing.
They where all very friendly and when I had question I could call and they would answer me very fast or would get me the answer and get back to me
Describe your experience with UC Health Center for Reproductive Health.
The wait to see the doctor was very fast. I think the most I every waited was 10 minutes Very clean and easy to get to. The parking was close. Had multiple location you could go to if needed. I went to the down town office and it was just as nice as the West Chester office
About 5,000 with medication
He would only do 2 at a time because of the risk of it splitting
2008 - 2011
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
I felt he [Dr. Thomas] was a friend of our family by the second IVF attempt....It has been a few years and I am partial because we have a child. If I didn't have success I might have different views...But I always felt well cared for and was able to be honest with him and felt he was doing was was best and not just what I wanted or that his ego was involved.
2008 - 2011
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
It has been a few years and I am partial because we have a child. But I always felt well cared for and was able to be honest with him and felt he was doing was was best and not just what I wanted or that his ego was involved.
We did shared risk and felt it removed a lot of the worry and that your results improve with the more attempts. Well worth the investment if you have to do IVF.
I felt he was a friend of our family by the second IVF attempt.
I did one flare and one long protocol. We had ICIS and assisted hatching also. And a frozen embryo transfer that resulted in one live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UC Health Center for Reproductive Health. (Assigned nurse: Judy E.)
Again, it has been 5 years and I am a happy mom today of a LO. If I didn't have success I might have different views.
Describe your experience with UC Health Center for Reproductive Health.
Capable, lots of happy babies on the wall, knowledgeable, honest, caring and successful.
Shared Risk about 16k. Meds 2x's for egg retrieval about 4k and the 1 embryo transfer about 3k in meds. Most diagnostic blood work was covered by insurance or shared risk.