Micheline Chu

Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish)

Nurse available by email
Flushing, NY 11354
Manhasset
300 Community Dr.
Manhasset, NY 11030
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Micheline Chu to a friend?

5.7

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwell Health (formerly North Shore Long Island Jewish) to a friend?
2019 - 2020
she [Dr. Micheline Chu] was very detached from my care. I didn't feel she was creative and curtailing therapy specifically to me...I fell into one bucket and was prescribed the meds for that bucket. She didn't take genuine interest in me as an individual and curtailing therapy to me specifically. I was a number. I felt a little bit of care after a few failed cycles but I honestly don't know if it was "me" as an individual that she cared about or that she was disappointed she wasn't successful in her care...I pushed for different medications and I had much better success than the first. The second cycle I was on a microflare protocol and the third on a microflare protocol with clomid. I had the best cycle with the third.
Office visits [at RMA of New Jersey] are fast and efficient. They deal with such high volume that they have pretty good processes in place for funneling patients through on a daily basis. Weaknesses - You're a number. Neither physicians nor nursing staff will take genuine interest in you as an individual. That means your care protocol will come from one of a few predesignated buckets, unless you push for more. You will NEVER have access to your doctor directly. You will always have to speak to a nurse or set an appointment if you have a concern that you would like to speak to your doctor about. If you want someone to actually care about you as an individual this is likely not the clinic to go to.
2019 - 2020
Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
The very short answer is Dr. Chu is smart and friendly, IF and when you get to speak with her. But don't count on the warm and fuzzies or feeling like someone cares about you. She has great schooling and credentials. I didn't feel a sincere concern from her. I don't want to be mean but she was very detached from my care. I didn't feel she was creative and curtailing therapy specifically to me. I felt RMANJ had therapy protocols and I fell into one bucket and was prescribed the meds for that bucket. She didn't take genuine interest in me as an individual and curtailing therapy to me specifically. I was a number. I felt a little bit of care after a few failed cycles but I honestly don't know if it was "me" as an individual that she cared about or that she was disappointed she wasn't successful in her care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
Challenge her. Do your research and be your own advocate. Ask her for different treatment options and her opinion on them. She won't think outside the box for your care so you have to seek it yourself and maybe she will agree on your thoughts and implement it. Set appointments and have her speak with you. Schedule the time otherwise she will be in a rush to get off the phone. I can't stress enough to ask questions and be your own advocate for creative care and testing otherwise you will fall into a protocol bucket and be successful or not.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
I felt like a number at RMANJ for the following reasons: 1. The first nurse I was assigned would literally sigh when answering my calls and on several occasions missed critical points in my care necessitating me to call and follow up. 2. Having had such a bad experience with the nurse I asked the doctor for her email. I was trying to improve the impersonal experience I was having with a grumpy nurse. Dr. Chu would never provide me her email let alone phone number. I had NO avenue to ever contact my doctor directly. All questions about my care had to go through a third party (nurse) who could care less about my care. I was one of the 200 patients she was dealing with at one time. 3. Of the three calls I received with my pregnancy test results NOT A SINGLE ONE was from my dedicated nurse. The calls always came from a complete stranger. 4. Nurses got changed mid-cycle without my opinion or consultation. I had three cycles and roughly six to seven nurses over that time. Most nurses at least let me know they were changing. One got promoted and never told me. I got a call from a random nurse the next day telling me she is my new nurse when I never even know I lost my last one. IVF is a trying time and a lot of details are involved in your care. When patients are thrown around like a hot potato I think it's easy to miss key details; not to mention theres ZERO relationship made and you're literally a number.
Describe the protocols Micheline Chu used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
My first protocol I don't remember the name of but I will say that I did not get a whole lot of big follicles. Rather than cancel the protocol I was pushed through. Knowing what I know now I think that round should have been cancelled. We could have cancelled and tried again with another round of medications to see if the follicles would have come out bigger. I didn't and the cycle was a bit of a dud. The following two retrievals I pushed for different medications and I had much better success than the first. The second cycle I was on a microflare protocol and the third on a microflare protocol with clomid. I had the best cycle with the third.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Blair)
I don't remember all the "primary" nurses assigned to me throughout the course of my three retrieval cycles but here are the ones I dealth with most. 1. Blair - No longer with RMANJ - Atrocious, She would sigh when I called and lacked an sort of compassion whatsoever. This was impactful as it was my first cycle ever. She was also disorganized and missed key details in my care. 2. Josephine Z. - The best nurse I had in my entire experience at RMANJ. Kind, compassionate, friendly, smart and organized, She got pregnant and was out for a portion of my care but was excellent. 3. Merry D. - Smart, well versed in infertility experienced. I was disappointed when she got promoted and didn't take 30 seconds to email me that she would no longer be my nurse. I found that unprofessional. 4. So uninvolved I don't even remember her name. 5. Nicole B. - Friendly but unattached and didn't really care about my care. Just rather matter of fact and robotic providing instructions. Note: When receiving egg retreival and pregnancy test results I NEVER got a call from my primary nurse. It was always some random nurse. Literally every single time.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strength - They supposedly have a good lab. Their facility is impressive and the OR setting is nice and well equipped. I would try to plan/hope my procedures are during the week. The weekday nursing staff in their OR is much more professional than the weekend staff. Office visits are fast and efficient. They deal with such high volume that they have pretty good processes in place for funneling patients through on a daily basis. Weaknesses - You're a number. Neither physicians nor nursing staff will take genuine interest in you as an individual. That means your care protocol will come from one of a few predesignated buckets, unless you push for more. You will NEVER have access to your doctor directly. You will always have to speak to a nurse or set an appointment if you have a concern that you would like to speak to your doctor about. If you want someone to actually care about you as an individual this is likely not the clinic to go to.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
Monitoring is done at certain times in the morning. Everyone shows up and the office runs through the cattle call. To be honest they are efficient and organized and it doesn't take too long. The nurses are friendly. The ultrasound may be a doctor or a PA. But it all goes quickly and efficiently.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey.
I paid cash and it's not cheap.
Describe Micheline Chu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Chu doesn't like transfering multiple embryos, at least for my age group. She said there is more risk.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey.

2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Even though RMA is huge, Dr. Chu was always genuinely happy to see me or talk to me and never rushed me out of the room. She always remembered me and the things we talked about.... Initially, I wanted to transfer 2 embryos at a time. Dr. Chu talked us out of this because of all the potential complications. I’m very young and healthy so it’s not worth the risk.... I did an antagonist protocol with max doses of each medication.
RMANJ is the best of the best. Their labs and techniques are the top in the world. I trust everyone on the team thoroughly. The biggest shock was how many people are at morning monitoring. At first, I felt like a number but once I kept going back, I got really comfortable and got to know the staff well.... They were quick and efficient overall. There’s a lot of people there, but it’s not that bad. I was always out in less than 30 minutes.
2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
She’s super nice and funny. She’s very thorough and happy to answer all questions. I didn’t get that experience from another doctor I consulted with at another clinic at all. I’ve always had full trust in Dr. Chu and her decisions during the IVF process.
Just trust her. She knows what she’s doing.
I did an antagonist protocol with max doses of each medication. We did this because my ovarian reserve is diminishing rapidly. We also did ICSI because my husband has a very low sperm count.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Merry)
Merry is always super sweet and willing to answer any questions I have. She’s been with the practice since the start and is so well versed with everything. She’s been a wonderful help through this process.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
First cycle was covered by insurance aside from deductible. Our insurance changed and they did not cover our second egg retrieval cycle. It was around $20,000 out of pocket for everything. Transfer will be around $5,000.
West Orange

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Chu ultimately recommended that I have my fibroid surgically removed before doing any embryo transfer. She does not perform this surgery herself, so she referred me to another provider for this. I did not feel comfortable undergoing this surgery therefore I decided to get a second opinion.... She was very involved and each time I visited the clinic I got to speak with her in person. She speaks very quickly but it felt like that was just her personality.
Weakness: In the morning for monitoring, patients sit in the hallway lined up outside the door of the clinic [RMA of NJ] - it's sad/uncomfortable seeing these women sitting in a dimly light hallway on the FLOOR.... Strengths: I found it relatively easy to get in touch with Dr Chu and her staff when I had questions. They answer emails quickly.... There was no fee for the consultation. I paid several hundred dollars for the HSG procedure
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
Be prepared for her to speak very quickly and give you a lot of information. Bring a notepad and write things down since there is too much to remember at once. If she (or anyone else) recommends surgery, get a second opinion to be sure.
She was very involved and each time I visited the clinic I got to speak with her in person. She speaks very quickly but it felt like that was just her personality. I never felt rushed by her, and she took the time to answer all of my questions in detail.
She recommended doing a cycle of IVF for egg retrieval and PGS testing first to make sure I even have good embryos first, then proceeding with fibroid removal prior to doing any transfers. Because I was very hesitant to have fibroid removal surgery, she did give me an alternate option to do egg retrieval and transfer one embryo to try, but told me that if it fails she would not recommend doing any additional transfers until the fibroid is removed. I choose not to proceed with Dr Chu and went elsewhere.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Rhonda Minot)
Rhonda is well versed in infertility treatment, however she could come off abrasive at times. I do think it was coming from a place of care/concern, but my husband had a very difficult time with her style of communication.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Weakness: In the morning for monitoring, patients sit in the hallway lined up outside the door of the clinic - it's sad/uncomfortable seeing these women sitting in a dimly light hallway on the FLOOR. The Englewood NJ office does not to retrievals/transfers, so patients have to travel to southern NJ for those procedures. Strengths: I found it relatively easy to get in touch with Dr Chu and her staff when I had questions. They answer emails quickly.
There was no fee for the consultation. I paid several hundred dollars for the HSG procedure to evaluate for tubal blockage (which indeed there was). The bloodwork was covered by insurance so I only paid the co-pay for that part.
I did not get this far, but she told me she does eSET.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr Chu was very informative but not always the most compassionate. After my 1st failed IUI with her (3rd failed overall at that point) I asked about changing medications or protocols and she did not find it necessary. After my next IUI with her failed, I again asked from a change or if we could do some more diagnostics and was finally heard and repeat labs were drawn.... I was not offered any other diagnostics or protocols other than just moving on to IVF.
RMA is a large clinic so it was pretty easy to get lost in the shuffle. I did have good communication with my nurse and was able to speak with Dr Chu when I wanted to.... Getting to morning monitoring very early is crucial if you want to get in and out in a timely fashion. I showed up 25 min before the office opened and still would be waiting in a line for the doors to open....Julie was my primary nurse and was very good at getting in contact with me via phone calls or email.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Chu was very informative but not always the most compassionate. After my 1st failed IUI with her (3rd failed overall at that point) I asked about changing medications or protocols and she did not find it necessary. After my next IUI with her failed, I again asked from a change or if we could do some more diagnostics and was finally heard and repeat labs were drawn. We increased my dose of gonal-f the next round but still were not successful. I do not have IVF coverage but still after each failed IUI, I was asked if I wanted to move forward with IVF. I felt this was a little insensitive. I was not offered any other diagnostics or protocols other than just moving on to IVF.
She is very educated and informative but doesn't always have a lot of compassion so do not take it personally. Also, dont be afraid to advocate for yourself and things you may want explored further.
When seeing Dr Chu I was still considered "unexplained infertility". I did 3 rounds of IUI with gonal-f. First round, I did gonal-f 50mg with blood work and ultrasound monitoring every few days, followed by 2 days of IUI once follicles were deemed "mature." Second round, we followed the same protocol and dose of gonal-f. After our second round failed, I was begging for more diagnostics to try and see why it hasnt worked. They redrew the same day 3 labs as when we first started and we moved forward with another IUI. This round we did increase the gonal-f to 75mg followed by 2 back to back IUIs but again it failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Julie Cochrane)
Julie was my primary nurse and was very good at getting in contact with me via phone calls or email. She did show compassion and was very helpful throughout the process.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
It is a very large clinic so morning monitoring is very crowded. However, the doctors and staff are professional and know what they are doing. Getting to morning monitoring very early is crucial if you want to get in and out in a timely fashion. I showed up 25 min before the office opened and still would be waiting in a line for the doors to open.
I have insurance coverage for unlimited IUIs and diagnostics and just had to pay co-pays for my visits.

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
If you don’t mind straight forward advice and no fluff - yes. [Dr. Micheline Chu] smart and to the point...so far, has been great. I appreciate her candor. Although, I wish I could get ahold of her directly verses having to call my nurse, wait for a response then speak through the nurse. But, that’s RMA’s policy not the doctor’s...Dr. Chu and the rest of the team at Englewood do their best to treat you like a “human”.
RMA can feel like a cattle call. I do not find monitoring hours to be convenient...The AM time frames are exhaustingly early and strict. There is no wiggle room in their schedule because they see so many patients in a day. Just know you’ll be there 3+ times a week before dawn, and there will still be a line...RMA can be very clinical - you do feel like a number there. Dr. Chu and the rest of the team at Englewood do their best to treat you like a “human”.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Chu, so far, has been great. I appreciate her candor. Although, I wish I could get ahold of her directly verses having to call my nurse, wait for a response then speak through the nurse. But, that’s RMA’s policy not the doctor’s.
If you don’t mind straight forward advice and no fluff - yes. She’s smart and to the point. You need to understand what type of doctor you need prior to joining RMA. If you need more emotional support Dr. Cosantini may be a better fit, and she’s in the same location.
RMA can be very clinical - you do feel like a number there. Dr. Chu and the rest of the team at Englewood do their best to treat you like a “human”. Honestly, it depends on my mood. Many times I’m frustrated that I am there, dealing with this situation and there really is no amount of personable care that would make it feel less sterile. It’s the situation in itself that makes the process feel like this. I don’t believe Dr. Chu is responsible for my feelings though.
I’ve done only medicated IUIs all according to our plan - but extended quantity wise due to Insurance requiring a “lesser vs. more” clause.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
There were times I was frustrated by the nursing situation. Many times RMA runs like a well oiled Machine And you are expected to just trust your team. That is not my personality, and I like knowing the details and reasoning for each procedure/medicine adjustment. After explaining this and requesting my documented paperwork - I received more explicit detailed messages and feel happier about the situation. I also recently received a new nurse assignment and appreciate her style much more than my original assigned nurse.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is the best in NJ. They have the best birth rates and I know three people who have beautiful babies because of their care. RMA can feel like a cattle call. I do not find monitoring hours to be convenient since I still must travel a ways regardless of location. The AM time frames are exhaustingly early and strict. There is no wiggle room in their schedule because they see so many patients in a day. Just know you’ll be there 3+ times a week before dawn, and there will still be a line. I’m getting used to it though.
Insurance covered some, but I did hit my deductibles. I also suspect I will hit my next year deductible as well.
No experience here
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
+ Read more- Read less

She has been very informative and helped me to know what would go on. I wanted to Move quick to get started and she was totally on board to work with what I wanted. She was eager to help. I appreciated her bedside manner. Always positive and comforting through everything I’ve done thus far.... We used an antagonist protocol. I was on 450 follistim with 20 hcg. Adding ganirelix. My trigger was .5 pregnyl and 40 lupron 12 hours apart
She [a nurse at RMA of NJ] was always great at getting back to me. Sometimes failed to provide me with results of bloodwork, husbands seaman analysis, but I never felt like it was detrimental to relationship with her.... I was always treated well and never wasted anytime within the facility. Everything ran very smoothly. all Of the Drs I saw were informative kind. All of the office staff were also great and helpful anytime I had a question when I called or while I’m clinic. They never wasted my time. Which I really appreciated.
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
Ask questions if you have hem. She will answer.
She always made me feel comfortable. Gave me all information and was positive along the way.
She was always great at getting back to me. Sometimes failed to provide me with results of bloodwork, husbands seaman analysis, but I never felt like it was detrimental to relationship with her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Efficient! I was always treated well and never wasted anytime within the facility. Everything ran very smoothly. all Of the Drs I saw were informative kind. All of the office staff were also great and helpful anytime I had a question when I called or while I’m clinic. They never wasted my time. Which I really appreciated.
Expensive because our insurance had a lifetime max of 5k. The retrieval our of pocket was 16k and meds for retrieval 4.5k
Doing eSET.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Chu is very nice. She explained the risk and all with iuis. I talked more with Lisa, her nurse about procedures and answers all my questions and my concerns. I feel that dr. Chu is very brief unless I asked for explanations. She is very thorough with what I’ll expect and what’s the next step...1st iui - used only ovidrel 2nd and 3rd - folistim and ovidrel... just ask a lot of questions and don’t hesitate to ask everything you want to know.
Lisa [nurse practitioner at RMA of New Jersey] was very nice. She communicated with me and emailed me to answer my concerns and questions. She was very detailed especially with my blood work because I asked for it. She understands my feelings and concerns and communicated with sr. Chu as well...They are very organize which I loved. Monitory days are fast and orders are ready and you’re out of there quick- especially if you work. Staff were very nice and greets you in the early mornings. Lab staff were on time and docs were on time as well.
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
Ask a lot of questions and explanations. Not sure about other fertility doctors, but I’m use to doctors explaining everything to me and have a plan. They’re really just there to get you pregnant and figure out what is going on and what they can do to get you to point. But just ask a lot of questions and don’t hesitate to ask everything you want to know.
1st iui - used only ovidrel 2nd and 3rd - folistim and ovidrel
Lisa was very nice. She communicated with me and emailed me to answer my concerns and questions. She was very detailed especially with my blood work because I asked for it. She understands my feelings and concerns and communicated with sr. Chu as well.
Marlton