Medical SchoolWayne State
FellowshipCleveland Clinic
4920 N Central Ave
Chicago, IL 60630
Crystal Lake
820 East Terra Cotta Ave.
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
30 Tower Court
Gurnee, IL 60031
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michelle Catenacci to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago to a friend?
How was your experience with Michelle Catenacci at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago?
I never saw Dr. Catenacci besides our very firs consultation appointment. She had me under go 3 rounds of IUI and each one came back negative. After my 3rd failed IUI, she then had the nurse call me (per usual) and tell me that the doctor thinks we should check to see if my tubes are open if we want to move forward with another IUI. I feel, that should have been done my very FIRST appointment, because if they are blocked.. I just wasted a lot of time and a lot of our hard earned money. That's when I left and got a 2nd opinion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michelle Catenacci at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago?
Make sure you are knowledgeable about treatments and what needs to be done before hand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michelle Catenacci at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago?
Our first initial appointment with Dr. C was good. She explained everything thoroughly, answered all of our questions, and gave us a step by step of what procedures we would be doing and how long we would try them. That was the ONLY time I've ever seen her. Everything IUI procedure was done by a different nurse, the nurses would be the ones to contact me and tell me my next steps. She didn't exceed in the patient care in my eyes.
Describe the protocols Michelle Catenacci used in your cycles at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago and their degree of success.
I was on Femara/Clomid each cycle.. 3 pills for 5 days. Ultrasound to check follicles, trigger point shot when ovulating, husband would collect sperm and the IUI would be done an hour later.
the nursing staff is awesome. Each nurse I had was very knowledgeable and showed compassion each and every time.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago.
the nursing staff is great! They all seem very knowledgeable, always answer any questions you may have to the best of there ability, and all made me feel very comfortable during each ultrasound, and iui procedure. if you're going with Dr.C don't plan on seeing her or communicating with her at all.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michelle Catenacci at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago.
Each IUI cost me about 1600
Describe Michelle Catenacci's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago.
Gurnee
My first round of IVF [with Dr. Michelle Catenacci] was a typical IVF however it didn't produce enough eggs so it was converted. After that, we became very aggressive and did the Microdose Lupron flare. This produced 11 eggs but only two were retrieved. Additionally, I took Coq10 and DHEA on a daily basis...I appreciated that she personally called me when my eggs did not make it to Day 2; however that was my only interaction with her. All other interactions was with her nurse which was frustrating. I would have liked her to at least check in with me during the cycles
Dr. Catenacci is great to meet in person; however, the only time I spoke with her was our initial consultation, another consultation that I specifically requested and when she called to tell me that my embryos did not make it. It is very disappointing that she never calls me to discuss next steps or even to check-in as this is a very expensive, stressful process. I honestly thought about leaving her office after my first failed IVF but I stayed because of her nurses. It is disheartening that everything is run by the staff and not Dr. Catenacci.
Don't expect to hear from Dr. Catenacci except for initial meeting and failed IVF embryos.
My first round of IVF was a typical IVF however it didn't produce enough eggs so it was converted. After that, we became very aggressive and did the Microdose Lupron flare. This produced 11 eggs but only two were retrieved. Additionally, I took Coq10 and DHEA on a daily basis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Cathy was absolutely amazing. She was beyond supportive and would spend as much time with me as I needed. There is literally nothing negative I could say about her. I would recommend her to anyone!
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago.
The clinic has multiple locations, is clean and all of the staff (even technicians) are super friendly and inviting. The doctors are extremely knowledgeable. The weakness is lack of direct communication with the doctors (it is my understanding that all of the doctors are like this).
My insurance covered a lot of the expenses - we ended up paying out of pocket around $15,000
For my case, she recommended that I transfer 2 embryos (assuming there were 2 embryos) due to my low quality
2014 - 2018
2 IUI, 5 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Catenacci is very knowledgeable and truly cares for her patients and wants the best for them. I was never afraid to contact her directly and she always got back to me in a timely manner. If my husband and I saw something different or intriguing in treatment on the Internet, she was always open to listening and suggesting her thoughts and new ways to see what would work....Each cycle was pretty much the same. We did five egg retrievals and all of them were about the same dosage of Follistem/Gonal F (300iu-450iu).
2014 - 2018
2 IUI, 5 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS
I wouldn't say this with just Dr. Catenacci, but to RE's in general, I wish they would better accept the fact that sometimes there are immune issues that are working against the patient to carry a pregnancy. I would always say you need to be your own advocate. You know your body more than anyone.
Dr. Catenacci was always there for me through EVERYTHING we have been through. When we had a miscarriage, she would call me personally to check on me. If we ever had any questions or concerns, she genuinely took the time with us to answer them.
Each cycle was pretty much the same. We did five egg retrievals and all of them were about the same dosage of Follistem/Gonal F (300iu-450iu). I'd stim for about 10-11 days with retrieval on days 12 or 13. She paid close attention to my estrogen levels and was very careful to avoid OHSS - which I greatly appreciated. The clinic uses the patients weight when prescribing PIO so I was usually on 2.4cc of PIO. I was on 2-3 pills a day of Estradiol and also baby aspirin.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Ashley in the Crystal Lake office was incredible. She answered any and all questions or concerns we had via phone or email almost instantly. The nursing staff in general at AFCC are extremely compassionate and I'm forever thankful for how I was treated by them. Def as a patient and not a number.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago.
AFCC def has a lot of strengths and I think their success rates prove that. I'm thrilled that over 98% of their staff truly show compassion and care towards the patient and truly want the end result - a child - for everyone. Our surrogacy coordinator didn't show a ton of compassion and could be rude at times, but overall, I love AFCC.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago.
I was actually happy with them doing their monitoring appointments in the early mornings. It meant that we would have results sooner. The only frustrating thing was that monitoring was done in their Gurnee office, which was a lot farther for me on the weekends.
I had insurance coverage for 85% of our treatments, so it is hard to say. But for our surrogate cycle, we paid $4000 for our frozen transfer and $800 for each time we froze embryos.
Chicago
Dr. Catenacci was always nice, but I didn't interact with her that much...Dr. Catenachi is personable, friendly and easy to talk to... I decided to change clinics after my first cycle was cancelled and my second one only resulted in 1 embryo. I do have lower reserve, but i was given a 40% chance of success based on my AFC during the initial consult. I decided to change doctors because I didn't feel she was that invested in achieving success for me.
Dr. Catenacci was always nice, but I didn't interact with her that much. I decided to change clinics after my first cycle was cancelled and my second one only resulted in 1 embryo. I do have lower reserve, but i was given a 40% chance of success based on my AFC during the initial consult. I decided to change doctors because I didn't feel she was that invested in achieving success for me.
Expect the communication to be only through the nurses unless she is the doctor performing procedures the day of your procedures or if you schedule a meeting with her.
Dr. Catenachi is personable, friendly and easy to talk to. However AFCC uses their nursing staff to do all the communication, even for big decisions like cancelling a cycle or calling with a negative pregnancy test result. While the nurses were kind, I would have appreciate more communication from the doctor directly. I believe they see alot of patients, so the communication style did make me feel like a number.
While my AMH and AFC are somewhat lower for my age, they never expected for the cycles to go as badly as they did. My first cycle was birth control and then antagonist. It was cancelled due to poor response and converted to IUI. Given my lower reserve, I don't think we should have ever tried birth control suppression. The second cycle we did estrogen priming with microdose lupron and HGH. Results were somewhat better, but we only retrieved 2 eggs and got 1 embryo. I know the doctors can't be blamed for poor response, but on my third IVF (at a different clinic), I was able to get 12 eggs (8 mature) from an estrogen priming and antagonist protocol with max stims. So the protocol and the administration of the cycle (doses, triggering, etc) can make all the difference.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago. (Assigned nurse: Donna)
Nurses were all friendly and usually pretty prompt in responding to calls and emails. They do seem to have a high caseload and be extremely busy.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago.
I was drawn to AFCC due to their transparency in pricing and success rates on their website. I also found their success rates to be very good. As previously mentioned, I didn't like the communication style of all communication through nurses, even for important decisions like cancelling cycles and negative pregnancy test results.
I have some insurance up to a lifetime max, so things were covered once we hit deductible and OOP max.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
She took the time to understand my history and go over detailed results from testing of my past loss and all the tests I had done on myself and my partner. She is so knowledgable about all of this and I learned so much from her. When I saw her for bigger procedures she always remembered me. I felt I was in the best hands!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
She is wonderful!
The staff were all so patient to answer all questions and provide any support I needed. Dr C sees so many women and always remembered my case specifically.
Every medicated cycle was closely monitored and customized along the way on Dr C's direction after reviewing ultrasound and bloodwork results. We did several cycles with clomid and IUI with no success, and decided to move onto IVF which had much higher chances. The next step was always my call, she never pressured me to get more aggressive with the treatment.
They were amazing, spent a lot of time on the phone with me answering questions. I also loved being able to email with my nurse.
Describe your experience with Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago.
Several locations was great. And a large staff meant they could always fit me in, but I never felt like a number.
Cash IUI cycles were around 1400 (?) incl all the monitoring required. They had seperate prices for those paying out of pocket. Also a risk-sharing package that included a few cycles guaranteeing a pregnancy or your money back