Carolinas Medical Center

Medical SchoolN. Eastern Ohio U.
ResidencySumma Health
FellowshipRush U. Med Ctr
1025 Morehead Medical Drive
Charlotte, NC 28204
704-355-3149
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Michelle Matthews to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.8
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolinas Medical Center to a friend?
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor
She [Dr. Matthews] was very informative and straight forward with our options and odds with each of those options. We are still seeing her now for treatment and would love to continue if we move forward with IVF after the IUI's.... We are in the middle of cycle 3 of 3 for IUI. Each cycle I did 100mg of Clomid days 3-7 at night. On cycle day 3 of each cycle they did blood work prior to confirm it was ok to start the Clomid. The first cycle they also did a baseline ultrasound on this day.
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
As mentioned from the previous question Dr. Matthews made us feel more like people and not just another number. She was very informative and straight forward with our options and odds with each of those options. We are still seeing her now for treatment and would love to continue if we move forward with IVF after the IUI's.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
I would tell a prospective patient how quick the response time is and how we have had a great experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
We had went to a consultation at a different RE practice before seeing Dr. Matthews. At that practice it was like we were just another number and left feeling discourage. When we change practices and met Dr. Matthews it was a completely different experience. She was very informative, kind, and straight forward but in in nice way that made us feel human unlike the other place that made us feel like a number.
Describe the protocols Michelle Matthews used in your cycles at Carolinas Medical Center and their degree of success.
We are in the middle of cycle 3 of 3 for IUI. Each cycle I did 100mg of Clomid days 3-7 at night. On cycle day 3 of each cycle they did blood work prior to confirm it was ok to start the Clomid. The first cycle they also did a baseline ultrasound on this day. I would then return mid-cycle for an ultrasound and blood work. Once those results came back the nurse would call me later that same day and tell me when to take the trigger Ovidrel 250MCG and when to come back for the IUI. The Ovidrel injection was taken 36 hours prior to my scheduled IUI. I have irregular cycles and my spouse has a low count. Each cycle my spouse count has improved some, but it's still low. So far we have been unsuccessful with treatment. If this 3rd IUI does not work Dr. Matthews will re-evaluate our situation and possible move forward with IVF.
The nurses were very nice and friendly. They made sure we understood everything and took their time explaining the procedures. The nurses also answered all our questions.
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
So far this clinic strength would be their compassion and taking time to make sure you understand your options and the procedures. Everyone from the front desk, the financial counselors, nurses, and Dr. Matthews was very friendly. I do wish they had financial options for those who do not have IVF insurance coverage. They do offer a self pay discount but no type of financing or promise to pay plans some other clinics offer. We have truly loved our experience so far with this clinic. If we have to move to IVF we will have to unfortunately transfer to one of those other clinics even though we do not care much for them to make it affordable. Other than that we would continue to use this clinic. Due to the lack of insurance coverage and costs we can only afford the IUI services at this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center.
I am not sure on the total IUI cost due to my insurance will cover some on IUI and most of the charges are still pending insurance. So far the total is around $1,054 outstanding and we have paid about $675 so far out of pocket including med cost. My insurance does not cover anything towards IVF and the estimate they gave me including meds was $20,000 - $25,000.
Describe Michelle Matthews's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolinas Medical Center.
2012 - 2017
Dr. Matthews personally called to inform me she was unable to do a procedure due to an emergency with another patient and asked if I had a preference for which doctor took her place. I transferred two 3-day embryos, negative pregnancy test. Next we did a FET with our 2 remaining embryos (5-day). Positive pregnancy test - singleton born at 36 weeks via c section due to Vasa previa.
2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is great. She is caring, knowledgeable and has good bedside manner. She has personally called to check on me after losses, called when she had an emergency and was unable to perform an egg retrivial, and has always expressed sorrow and condolences wit losses and negative betas. She is respectful and timely for appointments
Be honest with her about your wants, ask all questions.
Dr. Matthews has always taken the time to answer any questions we have had, she explains things thoroughly. Dr. Matthews personally called to inform me she was unable to do a procedure due to an emergency with another patient and asked if I had a preference for which doctor took her place. She called and checked on me after I had misscarried pregnancies, even when I had been released from her care.
We began with 3 medicated(clomid/trigger shot) and monitored iuis, after that didn't work we moved on to ivf (gonal f, menopur, estrogan patches, crinone, icsi). 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. I transferred two 3-day embryos, negative pregnancy test. Next we did a FET with our 2 remaining embryos (5-day). Positive pregnancy test - singleton born at 36 weeks via c section due to Vasa previa. Performed medicated (letrozole/trigger shot)/monitored iui, negative. IVF stim cycle, (same protocol as first cycle, icsi) - 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized 5 day embryos. Transferred 1 fresh embryo, positive beta, pregnancy ended at 12 weeks (trisomy 18). FET, positive beta, pregnancy ended at 5.5 weeks. FET, negative beta.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennie)
Jennie is wonderful. Returns calls in a timely manner, answers questions. Jennie is super sweet and caring. She helps out in anyway she can
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Great doctors and nursing staff. Billing can be slow
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolinas Medical Center.
Pre retrivial and pre transfer ultrasound visits were completed during a morning monitoring window. Typically I was always seen withing 20 minutes of arriving at the clinic. Post transfer ultrasounds were scheduled to a specific time slot
IUI - around $600 IVF - $ 12,000 plus meds ($2,500) FET - $2400
2011 - 2013
Dr. Matthews is very kind and very informative without being condescending. She worked well with both my husband and me. We went through 2 separate IVF cycles that resulted in 2 live births... My first retrieval yielded 3 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (full term, healthy, etc.). My 2nd retrieval yielded 4 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days.
2011 - 2013
Investor
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Dr. Matthews is very kind and very informative without being condescending. She worked well with both my husband and me. We went through 2 separate IVF cycles that resulted in 2 live births so we had a 100% success rate. I realize that this is VERY atypical and that we were incredibly lucky. But, I attribute much of our success to Dr. Matthews and the two nurses that I saw for both of the cycles.
She is responsive and compassionate.
My husband and I both went on a round of antibiotics. I then did Lupron injections for about a week and then added in some sort of pen injections (I don't remember the name) and then Menopur. I went to the Women's Institute a couple of times per week for follicle tracking (via ultrasound) and blood tests, and at the end, I went in every other day. They had early morning appointments, so it was convenient for me to go before work, and if I got there by 6:30, I was in and out very quickly. During both cycles, one of my ovaries (a different one each time) did not produce a thing. I was told that this was common, but it was a little alarming. For both cycles, I used the same medications and dosages, but my 2nd cycle took 3-4 days longer than my first to yield enough follicles. When the nurses and Dr. Matthews believed that my follicles were developed enough, I did an Ovidrel injection 36 hours before my retrieval. My first retrieval yielded 3 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (full term, healthy, etc.). My 2nd retrieval yielded 4 eggs. Two of them survived fertilization, and we implanted them both at 3 days. I had one live birth (2 weeks early, healthy, etc.). After the first implantation, research still recommended bed rest afterwards, so I did 3 serious days of bed rest and disconnecting (no internet, etc.). By the time we had our second implantation, bed rest was no longer recommended, but I did the same thing again since it "worked" the last time. Between the implantation and the pregnancy tests, I did progesterone gel suppositories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Libby and Joanna)
Libby was my coordinator for the first round, and Joanna was my coordinator for the 2nd round. Libby was very matter-of-fact/no-nonsense while also being kind and compassionate. Joanna was incredibly kind and supportive-- I think that she actually teared up when my second pregnancy test came back positive. They're both amazing (please note that I had 2 cycles and 2 positive pregnancies so that may be putting rose colored glasses over my experiences, but I honestly thought they were both great).
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Convenient and close to uptown. Facilities are clean and discreet. I always felt like I was one of the only people being seen (but know that was not the case because there were always others in the waiting room).
The monitoring appts start at 6:30 a.m. I tried to be there by 6:25 a.m. to ensure that I was one of the first people seen. If you show up later, it takes much longer. You have to go to a separate floor for bloodwork, and I believe that office doesn't open until 7:00 a.m., so there would generally be a line to get blood drawn.
The first time, it was presented as a package with a base cost and then the potential for add-one (freezing, ICSI, etc), and all-in, it was ~12k. The second time, it was just a one time payment of about ~12k. Note-- these payments did not include any of the medication/injections, etc. They covered the cost of the procedure. The cost for the medicine was 4,500-5,000. In both instances, I had to purchase additional Menopur
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Dr. Matthews was very understanding of my situation. I felt like she wanted ivf to Work for me just as badly as I wanted it to. She is very compassionate and explained our situation very clearly. She discussed the odds of ivf working in our situation....Microdose lupron flare. 20 mg 2x daily. Began cycle with desogen for 2.5 weeks. 300 gonal f, 150 menopur ...I had a very positive experience. Everyone is compassionate and understanding. They really want things to work out for you
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Go into your ivf cycle with an open mind. You never know what makes might happen. Also, don't get your hopes up
Dr. Matthews was very compassionate in dealing with my situation.
Microdose lupron flare. 20 mg 2x daily. Began cycle with desogen for 2.5 weeks. 300 gonal f, 150 menopur 5 retrieved eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 day 6 embryo biopsied and came back abnormal
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Fitzpatrick )
Very compassionate, always available to answer questions over the phone, via email or in person
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
Appointments were convenient. They began as early as 6:30 am so I could Go on into Work
Was not able to transfer because my embryo was abnormal
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, None
I love Dr.Matthews. She is very understanding and shows she cares. She gives all options and what to try to do next. I haven't seen any weakness with Dr. Matthews. Anytime I had any questions she would respond in a timely manner.... 2 IVF cycles After the failed cycles we sat and talk and she recommended I do a tubal cannulation. She mention this before I started IVF but I wasn't ready for that.... The office is wonderful and so is Doctor Matthews
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, None
Listen to her
The office is wonderful and so is Doctor Matthews
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenny)
I just love Jenny❤❤
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
No weakness from my experiences. The clinic can get a phone system set up to where you don't have to leave a message and someone would call back. That's the only thing. I have recommend them to a few women
I have insurance. I was responsible for copay payments
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
[Dr. Matthews was] Very understanding of my situation and I felt like she really wanted things to work out for me. Worked to try and get insurance to pay. Adjusted my medicine accordingly. Called me personally several times during process...5 eggs 4 fertilized 1 embryo that tested abnormal...Genetic testing required for me to avoid passing on a genetic disorder to a 2nd child
How was your experience with Michelle Matthews at Carolinas Medical Center?
Go into ivf cycle with an open mind
She was compassionate and ver understanding of my situation
Desogen 2.5 weeks microdose lupron flare, 400 gonal f and 150 menopur 5 eggs 4 fertilized 1 embryo that tested abnormal
Always available via email. Will call back same day
Great clinic. Super compassionate
Early appt available 6:30 so I could go on into work
$25,000. Genetic testing required for me to avoid passing on a genetic disorder to a 2nd child
No transfer
Charlotte
I have PCOS, she [Dr. Michelle Matthews] let me know to try 3 more months of the Letrozole and if it didn’t work we would proceed to do the IUI. The 3rd month I got pregnant!!!... She was very to the point and let me know where I was and where we needed to be! So sweet and caring. I left knowing I would get pregnant soon! If I had any questions she answered them honestly and let me know everything was going to be okay.
She’s amazing!
She was sweet and very to the point! I loved her
I have PCOS, she let me know to try 3 more months of the Letrozole and if it didn’t work we would proceed to do the IUI. The 3rd month I got pregnant!!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolinas Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Bethany Griffin )
She was amazing! Very sweet and took her time getting to know me
Describe your experience with Carolinas Medical Center.
I loved everything about this place. The doctor, nurses, place. I felt at home and not so alone in a time I was so vulnerable. It was the hardest time of my life and they made me feel so special and wanted
I’m not quit sure but I know it wasn’t as expensive has I was thinking it would be