Medical SchoolTechnion (Israel)
Newport Beach, CA 92663
3231 Waring Court
Oceanside, CA 92056
(760) 758-2034
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mickey Coffler to a friend?

6.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend HRC to a friend?
He [Dr. Coffler] addressed our questions. He does not typically go into detail when communicating, so sometimes I felt like I had to ask more questions to understand at the level that I preferred. He wants to help and will answer any question, but he does seem busy and juggling a lot of things. Also Dr. Coffler is well respected in the community. When I had an HSG, I mentioned his name to the radiologist and she confidently said, "Oh, you'll get pregnant! You're in good hands."
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Dr. Coffler sits down one-on-one with you and your partner during the initial consult. We had about 45 minutes with him to explain our fertility history and ask many questions. He did not rush us at all. He addressed our questions. He does not typically go into detail when communicating, so sometimes I felt like I had to ask more questions to understand at the level that I preferred. He wants to help and will answer any question, but he does seem busy and juggling a lot of things. Also Dr. Coffler is well respected in the community. When I had an HSG, I mentioned his name to the radiologist and she confidently said, "Oh, you'll get pregnant! You're in good hands."
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mickey Coffler at HRC?
If you need more information, just ask and tell him that. Email is an easy way to communicate with the staff and you can expect quick responses (usually within the same day).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Although I did not necessarily see the doctor at each visit, I knew that he was actively involved in the management of my treatment. Communication was always prompt and the staff was always available to answer any questions. They understood my needs as a person and did not just treat me like I was a statistic for their office. For example, the doctor recommended a procedure and I was about to do the procedure but I had some concerns, so I decided to cancel even though I had already showed up. The doctor was completely fine with my decision and even called me that afternoon to see how I was feeling about it all. Another time, the doctor left me a 3 min long voicemail on a Friday afternoon to answer one of my questions that I had emailed a nurse about. Very considerate staff!
Describe the protocols Mickey Coffler used in your cycles at HRC and their degree of success.
We did medicated timed intercourse with monitoring. We started with the highest dose of Letrozole (which I had used in my previous cycle with another doctor) but I did not respond, so then Dr. Coffler prescribed Clomid at the lowest dose (which was my first time using). I responded to the Clomid and had a Ovidrel trigger shot. I ovulated (for the first time out of my 3 total cycles, two of which with another fertility specialist) but did not get pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
Angel is an incredible nurse. She was a breath of fresh air compared to my previous RE's office! Angel was pleasant and kind. Angel was so easy to communicate with. She was available anytime by phone or email. I even emailed her while she was on vacation and another time on a Saturday and she responded the same day. Angel is one of the main reasons that I LOVED this clinic!
Describe your experience with HRC.
Communication and compassion are this clinic's strengths. Dr. Coffler and Angel the nurse stand out at this office because you can really tell they care, and they work directly with you on the details of your treatment. Also, this office has a small staff that knows what they are doing. They have a team who each knows their roles and you will see them doing it throughout your treatment. This office isn't in the nicest or newest building but that really wasn't an important factor for me. My previous doctor had a nice facility but poor communication and bedside manner. The opposite is true at HRC, and I was so happier and felt respected here because of that!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
With TRICARE Standard, my copay for a monitoring ultrasound and blood work was $100. Most everything else with my medicated timed intercourse was covered.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC.

Dr Coffler is a very skilled physician. I had previous fertility doctors that struggled to get catheters in during procedures and Dr Coffler never once had a problem and I always felt at ease with his expertise. He is to the point/straightforward, but still cares/is compassionate... I wish I would have advocated more For myself that first round where they did the fresh transfer as my estrogen was still high and I’m pretty sure that’s why my first fresh PGS normal embryo failed to implant. Looking back, I really wish I would have waited and done a frozen embryo transfer instead of fresh. Luckily, our second embryo transfer, a FET with another PGS normal was successful and led to my now 11 month old son.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and advocate for yourself
Very small office where you always see the same providers and office staff.
I believe I had the antagonist protocol (Lupron and birth control pills leading up to injectables of menopur and gonal F-low doses-adding in the drug that prevents ovulation half way through). When I did ivf, they pretty much recommend everyone do PGT testing and ICSI (I was pretty young at the time and none of the other ivf clinics were recommending I do PGT, but this clinic did so we went along with it). They do a quick PGT test though where you get results within 24 hours so you can still do a fresh transfer. I wish I would have advocated more For myself that first round where they did the fresh transfer as my estrogen was still high and I’m pretty sure that’s why my first fresh PGS normal embryo failed to implant. Looking back, I really wish I would have waited and done a frozen embryo transfer instead of fresh. Luckily, our second embryo transfer, a FET with another PGS normal was successful and led to my now 11 month old son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
Angel was amazing. Knowledge, organized, kind, and laid back.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Small clinic and it’s nice getting to know every employee really well. I wish they had earlier office appt slots (I think the earliest appt for monitoring was 8:15). I also wish the ultrasound tech was an RN or PA/NP so they could give you live analysis of what they are seeing during monitoring appointments. I did mention this and Angel was nice enough to sit in on my key monitoring appts in order to fill me in right then on what was seen (helped manage my anxiety in the midst of the ivf process)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
Mine was all out of pocket, but when comparing to other clinics in the area, it was one of the most affordable overall. I will say that there frozen embryo yearly storage fees are almost double others.
Describe Mickey Coffler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC.
They follow the ARSM guidelines.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC.

For blood work and ultrasounds he [Dr. Coffler] was only present for 2 appointments. I can tell he is passionate about his job and truly wants to succeed in getting couples a ‘take home baby’. Communication is sometimes hard due to his first language not being English. I would have liked to be informed more about my actual results. Ex: progesterone levels, follicle count, uterine lining... We did 2 egg retrievals in order to bank as many embryos as possible prior to PGS/PGD testing.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
For blood work and ultrasounds he was only present for 2 appointments. I can tell he is passionate about his job and truly wants to succeed in getting couples a ‘take home baby’. Communication is sometimes hard due to his first language not being English. I would have liked to be informed more about my actual results. Ex: progesterone levels, follicle count, uterine lining
Ask questions and ask them directly.
The staff and technicians at the office are warm and easy to talk to. My IVF coordinator never made me feel like I was bothering her with questions
We did 2 egg retrievals in order to bank as many embryos as possible prior to PGS/PGD testing. This was suggested to keep costs down and was the right choice as our first retrieval resulted in 0 normal embryos. Second round resulted in 2. Frozen embryo transfer was a standard protocol. Lupron, progesterone, estrogen. Resulted in a BFP then a chemical pregnancy. Still waiting to review what went wrong and what could have been changed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
All of the nursing staff is amazing. They make you feel comfortable and supported.
Describe your experience with HRC.
This clinic has the highest pregnancy rates in Orange County. I would recommend. Ask questions and advocate for your preferred method of treatment. The doctor has great credentials and a great success rate. Nursing staff is excellent. Don’t be afraid to send emails at any time. You are not alone in feeling like you are asking silly questions and the staff never makes you feel like you are. I hope my next attempt at a frozen embryo transfer is a success. Will have an appointment to discuss what went wrong with our transfer on Friday.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
We did pretty much everything that could have been offered. ICSI, assisted hatching, PGS and PGD testing, and one extra procedure for our second egg retrieval to pick better sperm for ICSI. Total cost associated with services approx $40,000
This doctor will only transfer one embryo. I would have liked to have the option to transfer 2 if we felt that was the right choice for us.
Oceanside

Dr. Coffler gave us hope when we didn’t have any left. He was to the point, but in a warm manner. He was a cheerleader on our team. He made us feel like he wanted us pregnant more than anyone else.... We met with and interviewed 4 different doctors before starting the IVF process. Dr. Coffler clearly laid out a plan, gave us realistic hope and never gave up on us. He was compassionate and warm. And always had a smile when it was appropriate and a game face when it was appropriate.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
He knows what he’s doing. Do your research and come educated, so you know what he’s talking about.
After our first round and fresh cycle failed, I made sure the next time I was put on progesterone the next time. And after that one I miscarried, the 3rd one I told them I wanted to be watched and monitored closer. They had no problem working with me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel)
Dr. Coffler’s office staff is amzing. My nurse angel really was an angel! She was compassionate and silly. Always kept the mood light. And was very good at making me feel like I was the only person she was working with.
Describe your experience with HRC.
Strengths, amazing staff at the clinic offices. Weaknessss, their billing people at the main office are frustrating. Keep records of everything you pay. And make sure you ask 2 people for pricing. And then confirm it with your insurance if applicable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
First round - I think was around $15k for retrieval and transfer. 2nd & 3rd round FET - $2500 (we are a veteran family so we got the discount) Ultrasounds - $110 every time. Cyst aspiration - $800 That’s all I can remember.
We elected to transfer 2 our 2nd round. But the 3rd round, he would only transfer 1. And now, the clinic will only transfer 1.

Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Coffler started me on 1 month of birth control before moving onto injections. After egg retrieval, he changed my protocol based on my body’s response. He was very open to changing things during my cycles...Dr.Coffler initially was not my favorite person. I thought he was slightly blunt. However by the end of my cycles , I realized why. He was absolutely the doctor I needed to get through ivf. He was straight forward in what was going on and exactly what needed to happen for my cycles to be successful.
Anovulation, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Be open to having a different kind of doctor than you expected. I went in thinking I needed a warm, giggly female doctor who I could talk to. Having a straight forward and kind Dr.Coffler ended up being much better
Everyone in the clinic knew my name, our situation and treated me with kindness. I was never rushed out of questions or felt unheard
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Danette ! )
The staff at HRC was the reason I loved them so much. They were so kind and helpful. Obviously it wasn’t always possible to talk to DR. Coffler but I felt like talking to anyone on the nursing staff was just as good. They treated me like a person not a number
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic is pretty simple looking and could honestly use some updating but don’t let that fool you. Everyone is so kind and everything is clean. I was a little off put when I walked in and it looked like such a simple interior but really great work happens there
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
As a military family we were given a discount on our IVF and FET. Medications were just under 2k with a discount we found. The IVF procedure was $4500. The FET was $2500. Ultrasounds during the cycles were under $50 when not covered. Storage for 1 year was $750 for embryos
Dr.Coffler proffered we transfer one embryo but my husband and I chose 2 both times. First time resulted in MC of twins. Second time in a singleton (who is now 2)

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC.

Coffler was not even willing to review my notes from Yale REI - where I had had a successful cycle that resulted in my only live birth. He felt that “no one does antagonist protocol anymore” and he would never recommend one. Instead he did what he does for all patients - put me on long Lupron.... He is the type of doctor you don’t want. You are a number, he strolls in at 10 AM and doesn’t even remember your case. He may have a doctorate in medicine, but he speaks to you like you are a complete buffoon. My husband and I both have masters degrees.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
I guess I sort of did this is the wrong section but he is a typical big headed doctor. He doesn’t explain treatment well and just does what he wants. It is not a team discussion. He is often running late as he drives up to HRC Orange County for retrievals and usually doesn’t stroll in until 10. He relies completely on his IVF coordinator and doesn’t review patients charts regularly. He didn’t review mine for 26 days. It was negligent. I would not recommend him to anyone.
Find another clinic.
Coffler was not even willing to review my notes from Yale REI - where I had had a successful cycle that resulted in my only live birth. He felt that “no one does antagonist protocol anymore” and he would never recommend one. Instead he did what he does for all patients - put me on long Lupron. I ovulated through the birth control from the start of my down regulation. He relies completely on his “IVF Coordinator” Noelle who is an incompetent phlebotomist. She reviews labs and apparently he either doesn’t have time or energy to review things on his own. After ovulating on my own (and not knowing it because the doctor never reviewed my labs and they never called with results), I started Lupron. I did 26 injections before they told me they realized their mistake and I could either do a retrieval and freeze what they could get (which would not include my dominant follicle and would be less eggs than if I hadn’t ovulated), or cancel. We chose to cancel. No apologies or discussions. He is the type of doctor you don’t want. You are a number, he strolls in at 10 AM and doesn’t even remember your case. He may have a doctorate in medicine, but he speaks to you like you are a complete buffoon. My husband and I both have masters degrees. I didn’t appreciate being kept in the dark or talked down to. His nurse Noelle is an absolute train wreck. Forgot to order my meds and I was forced to drive about an hour away to pick up meds same day to start my cycle. For the amount of time, money and emotion going into this - I expect it to be well run. Mistakes happen. However not reviewing a patient’s chart in 26 days is medically negligible.
He chose the Long Lupron protocol because he felt no one even does antagonist anymore. He had never heard of anyone ever using it. The one cycle I had done prior - at Yale REI resulted in my son. So for me, antagonist worked. He was not even willing to consider it and single handedly decided we would be doing long Lupron to keep my follicles growing at a steady rate. He didn’t review my labs or ultrasounds and 26 days into treatment finally called me (himself) on the phone to say we must cancel or do the retrieval and freeze for later. We chose to cancel as we didn’t have anything to freeze during my son’s round. He never offered any compensation for the thousands we spend on HIS error.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Danette “Noelle” Workman)
Noelle was absolutely the worst IVF nurse or coordinator I have ever (in 8 cycle) ever worked with. She was completely disorganized, didn’t order my meds (and another patients who I ended up befriending as I overheard her similar shared struggle), was the only one to review charts and labs (last I checked she wasn’t a doctor) and would talk about putting me on this or choosing this as if she had ultimate medical decision making (which to me was scary). At HRC Oceanside they had a high turnover of phlebotomists and other nurses and I can only imagine it is due to the overall disorganized mess that is that office. The office itself is in an older building in a sort of not great area. For the amount of money they bring in I can’t imagine they can’t find another medical building with space for rent.
Describe your experience with HRC.
HRC is a money making machine. I went there for 4 cycles total. They have their own way of doing things and will pressure you into things. They have a high and mighty “I’m the doctor and you’re not” attitude. You will have to have ICSI. They make no exceptions. For us I feel that this was a detriment. Our sperm quality was great. We were really forced into this and we were very clear we didn’t want to. They have one of the highest success rates but are very much a business. I have been to two university clinics and those in my opinion have been the best experiences. There isn’t a pushy attitude and a doctor who truly respects you and isn’t threatened when you question things is the best to have on your side in my opinion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
I believe the SD option was about $6K for the IVF cycle, of course that does not include medication.
Not applicable.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC.

Dr. Coffler was kind and caring... Dr. Coffler was warm but not thorough. He failed to diagnose me with endometriosis, which I later discovered via surgery with another doctor. There were so many patients that I’m not surprised by this. He was optimistic for us when I felt like maybe it was unwarranted.... I believe he preferred frozen cycles. I think I was close to overstimming, so he administered Lupron to release the eggs.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Ask questions; do plenty of homework.
Dr. Coffler was kind and caring; his nurse at the time was a bit stressed out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Noelle )
Noelle was scattered and easily flustered.
Describe your experience with HRC.
There are too many patients here; however, the prices are good. It’s important to advocate strongly for yourself. Ensure you get all of the lab tests, ask about endometriosis, PCs, etc. I felt discouraged going through treatment here because I had a natural chemical pregnancy prior to starting IVF, so the doctor was very optimistic about my ability to conceive. When I had three transfers that were unsuccessful, I was puzzled about why it didn’t work. I left that clinic with more questions than when I came in. Again, Dr. Coffler was very kind, and I believe he was competent, but there were too many patients to give adequate time to each one’s concerns.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC.
Monitoring appointments took place in the morning.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
We received a military discount; I believe the cost of the egg retrieval and embryo formation along with drugs ran around $9000.
No strong preference as I recall.
Oceanside

Dr. Coffler has great bedside manner. He knew who we was and remembered previous conversations. He also followed up and made himself available at all times.... think he called it a long lupron cycle. The gonal f amount was 375mm, I believe. It’s been a while. He said all the patients do ICSI and 3 day bed rest. He also used embryo glue... I believe the cycle failed because the scars that I have did not allowed him to make the transfer smoothly. He struggled for a very long time to get it in. It was very painful and I bled
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
He was great. However the second second didn’t go so well. I believe the cycle failed because the scars that I have did not allowed him to make the transfer smoothly. He struggled for a very long time to get it in. It was very painful and I bled
Make sure you ask questions
Dr. Coffler has great bedside manner. He knew who we was and remembered previous conversations. He also followed up and made himself available at all times. The staff was also great. I ran out of gonal f and the pharmacy was out. A staff member drove out of her way to drop the medication off at my home.
I don’t remember the protocol. I think he called it a long lupron cycle. The gonal f amount was 375mm, I believe. It’s been a while. He said all the patients do ICSI and 3 day bed rest. He also used embryo glue
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Darnette)
The coordinator was very nice and she responded very quickly to all my emails.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinic has good ratings, great success rates, it is clean, the staff is polite and they respond very quickly. However, their prices are very high in comparison to other clinics in my area. I am an out of state patient and it’s very expensive for us. It seems like their prices increase every 6 months. The coat of 1 cycle is around 18000 without the medication, plus we have to add the coat of flights, hotel and car rental.
First time 14000 for the cycle
He prefers single but did allow us to do two. However, he said in the 3rd cycle, he wants to do just one.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr Coffler is very honest, up front and compassionate. He answers all my questions even when they're a little crazy. He has always explained everything that is going on and how every procedure will go.... I was on a high dose of gonal f with menopur, lupron and estrogen, followed by progesterone. I reacted very well to everything. We were worried I would suffer from OHSS but I followed their instructions and recovered just fine within a few days of my retrieval. After my fresh transfer failed we decided to do an endometrial scratch, which wasn't fun but my frozen transfer worked (later ending in a missed miscarriage).
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with HRC.
When I first started going there it was much less busy than it is now (within 6 months). Which is great and he's an amazing doctor I just feel they need more staff with getting busier, wait times have increased and being in there a few times a week can make it hard on a work schedule
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
$12,900 first round Retrieval, fresh transfer, monitoring and blood work, PGS $700 One year freezing embryos $3,500 Frozen transfer $75 for 2 pregnancy blood tests $270 for ultrasounds after positive test Meds were outside of the office around $5,000
Oceanside
When our egg retrieval failed he [Dr. Coffler] spent time with us reviewing what happened in detail, and helped with a plan forward...When we first sat down with Dr. Coffler, he was straightforward with the coarse of treatment he thought would be best for us. He was very candid and honest. I appreciated his openness. I saw him on nearly every visit. He had an upbeat attitude and was positive....When all of our embryos arrested on Day 5, i found out when I called the office to get a status. At that time, noone had even looked at the results.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
When our egg retrieval failed he spent time with us reviewing what happened in detail, and helped with a plan forward
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC. (Assigned nurse: Angel Calfee)
The staff are all super nice people. They could be more organized. Communication was lacking. I had to reach out to the coordinator to get updates, when they should have been reaching out to me
Describe your experience with HRC.
The staff are all caring. They can improve on communication, organization, and communication of financial issues. When all of our embryos arrested on Day 5, i found out when I called the office to get a status. At that time, noone had even looked at the results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC.
Our insurance covered everything except PGS

Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Coffler seems to be knowledgeable of new practices and is very confident in his abilities; however, he didn’t seem very flexible with his treatment plan for us which added on some expenses we weren’t expecting. ... Ask questions when you have them. ... Do research and educate yourself. ... Nursing staff [HRC] is friendly and relayed my questions to Dr. Coffler in a timely manner.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC?
Do research and educate yourself. Ask questions when you have them.
Nursing staff is friendly and relayed my questions to Dr. Coffler in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with HRC.
The clinical and office staff is very friendly and always remembered my name; however, our experience was that we had to reach out to them for determining the next steps of our treatment or for financial related questions. My expectation was that they would be in touch with us and take the lead on those types of things.