7.3

Newport Beach, CA 92663
3231 Waring Court
Oceanside, CA 92056
(760) 758-2034

He [Dr. Coffler] has his one protocol that he uses for everyone (microdose lupron) even though that is only indicated for poor responders. I received my protocol and questioned it once I began researching what it was. When I tried to get him on the phone to discuss...He said this protocol is just what they use to get good results for everyone...We got fewer eggs than my antral follicle count. This protocol wasn’t great for me. We only got 1 PGS normal embryo that was mediocre quality.
Angel is the IVF coordinator for HRC Oceanside. She is kind and does what she can to help the patients through their questions and requests. She was great training us on all of our injections. However, clinic policies hinder information flow and make it frustrating to ask questions and then not receive information...My prescriptions for IVF weren’t called into the pharmacy until the day I showed up for baseline and they realized they hadn’t been ordered. I was supposed to pick them up that day. Instead I had to drive 45 minutes to the clinic again the next day to get them and started the injections later in the day than I was supposed to.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Coffler does not seem like he is open to the newest research or to customizing his protocols for each patient. He is very kind and optimistic (overly so), but he does not want to be questioned about the protocol even when the research did not indicate it as right for me. He has his one protocol that he uses for everyone (microdose lupron) even though that is only indicated for poor responders. I received my protocol and questioned it once I began researching what it was. When I tried to get him on the phone to discuss, the front desk kept saying they might charge me over a hundred dollars for a phone consultation. In the end they did not charge me and I only took 5 minutes of his time. He said this protocol is just what they use to get good results for everyone. I trusted in the CDC statistics and didn’t question it further, but it didn’t work well for us in the end.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Don’t see Dr. Coffler. Aside from the problems I had with him as a Dr., the clinic is horrible to deal with in many ways and you can’t see him without dealing with HRC policies.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Dr Coffler and his team did treat me like a human. Angel, the NP IVF coordinator in particular was very helpful and explained how to do all our injections kindly. Dr. Coffler was always kind.
Describe the protocols Mickey Coffler used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Microdose lupron protocol, with birth control pill priming in order to schedule all the patients for certain retrieval dates per month. They put everyone on birth control for scheduling, but it turns out this can suppress the number of follicles that respond and you can get fewer eggs than you might without birth control pills. We got fewer eggs than my antral follicle count. This protocol wasn’t great for me. We only got 1 PGS normal embryo that was mediocre quality.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Angel Calfee)
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC has several policies that I only learned about as we were going through IVF that really bothered me: 1) You have to decide whether you will pay some $5500 lump sum for PGS testing of embryos before you even know how many embryos have made it to biopsy. The cost does not change no matter how many embryos you have, so you could be paying that much for 1 embryo. 2) The clinic is not open on weekends. This is a BIG PROBLEM. This prevents you from having sufficient monitoring during egg retrieval cycles and the drug dosage can’t be adjusted as finely. You also can’t get questions answered on the weekend. There is no access to Dr. Coffler for questions. 3) The clinic batches all patients for particular retrieval dates each month so you have to take birth control pills. These can suppress the number of eggs you are able to retrieve and reduce your chances of success. 4) Once your embryos are created, getting information about them is a black box. Other clinics allow you to speak to people in the embryology lab. At HRC, there is NO access to anyone at the embryology lab. You can only receive information from Angel and she is not able to convey the kind of information that an embryologist would have. Also, they do not give Day 3 updates about the progress of the embryos. At the end, I was only able to get all of the information about my embryos be requesting my full medical record and calling the PGS lab. I never received a full PGS report about my embryos besides “complex abnormal”, whereas other PGS labs will give a breakdown of the chromosome errors. I did get this over the phone but it was hard to take down and I don’t know if I got it right. They do it this way because HRC uses its own in-house PGS Lab rather than one of the bigger commercial labs. They pocket all the profits at every stage and provide subpar service which is not up to the standards of other commercial options. It would be fine if they gave you the information and service others provide (since you’re paying just as much), but they don’t.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility.
Total cycle cost was just over $17k not including medication, but including $5050 lump sum for PGS testing. I spent just under $2k on medications ordered from overseas.
Describe Mickey Coffler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
Dr. Coffler only transfers 1 embryo except in select circumstance which have to be justified, like older patients with poor quality embryos.

2015, Unsuccessful
Coffler was not even willing to review my notes from Yale REI - where I had had a successful cycle that resulted in my only live birth. He felt that “no one does antagonist protocol anymore” and he would never recommend one. Instead he did what he does for all patients - put me on long Lupron.... He is the type of doctor you don’t want. You are a number, he strolls in at 10 AM and doesn’t even remember your case. He may have a doctorate in medicine, but he speaks to you like you are a complete buffoon. My husband and I both have masters degrees.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
I guess I sort of did this is the wrong section but he is a typical big headed doctor. He doesn’t explain treatment well and just does what he wants. It is not a team discussion. He is often running late as he drives up to HRC Orange County for retrievals and usually doesn’t stroll in until 10. He relies completely on his IVF coordinator and doesn’t review patients charts regularly. He didn’t review mine for 26 days. It was negligent. I would not recommend him to anyone.
Find another clinic.
Coffler was not even willing to review my notes from Yale REI - where I had had a successful cycle that resulted in my only live birth. He felt that “no one does antagonist protocol anymore” and he would never recommend one. Instead he did what he does for all patients - put me on long Lupron. I ovulated through the birth control from the start of my down regulation. He relies completely on his “IVF Coordinator” Noelle who is an incompetent phlebotomist. She reviews labs and apparently he either doesn’t have time or energy to review things on his own. After ovulating on my own (and not knowing it because the doctor never reviewed my labs and they never called with results), I started Lupron. I did 26 injections before they told me they realized their mistake and I could either do a retrieval and freeze what they could get (which would not include my dominant follicle and would be less eggs than if I hadn’t ovulated), or cancel. We chose to cancel. No apologies or discussions. He is the type of doctor you don’t want. You are a number, he strolls in at 10 AM and doesn’t even remember your case. He may have a doctorate in medicine, but he speaks to you like you are a complete buffoon. My husband and I both have masters degrees. I didn’t appreciate being kept in the dark or talked down to. His nurse Noelle is an absolute train wreck. Forgot to order my meds and I was forced to drive about an hour away to pick up meds same day to start my cycle. For the amount of time, money and emotion going into this - I expect it to be well run. Mistakes happen. However not reviewing a patient’s chart in 26 days is medically negligible.
He chose the Long Lupron protocol because he felt no one even does antagonist anymore. He had never heard of anyone ever using it. The one cycle I had done prior - at Yale REI resulted in my son. So for me, antagonist worked. He was not even willing to consider it and single handedly decided we would be doing long Lupron to keep my follicles growing at a steady rate. He didn’t review my labs or ultrasounds and 26 days into treatment finally called me (himself) on the phone to say we must cancel or do the retrieval and freeze for later. We chose to cancel as we didn’t have anything to freeze during my son’s round. He never offered any compensation for the thousands we spend on HIS error.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danette “Noelle” Workman)
Noelle was absolutely the worst IVF nurse or coordinator I have ever (in 8 cycle) ever worked with. She was completely disorganized, didn’t order my meds (and another patients who I ended up befriending as I overheard her similar shared struggle), was the only one to review charts and labs (last I checked she wasn’t a doctor) and would talk about putting me on this or choosing this as if she had ultimate medical decision making (which to me was scary). At HRC Oceanside they had a high turnover of phlebotomists and other nurses and I can only imagine it is due to the overall disorganized mess that is that office. The office itself is in an older building in a sort of not great area. For the amount of money they bring in I can’t imagine they can’t find another medical building with space for rent.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HRC is a money making machine. I went there for 4 cycles total. They have their own way of doing things and will pressure you into things. They have a high and mighty “I’m the doctor and you’re not” attitude. You will have to have ICSI. They make no exceptions. For us I feel that this was a detriment. Our sperm quality was great. We were really forced into this and we were very clear we didn’t want to. They have one of the highest success rates but are very much a business. I have been to two university clinics and those in my opinion have been the best experiences. There isn’t a pushy attitude and a doctor who truly respects you and isn’t threatened when you question things is the best to have on your side in my opinion.
I believe the SD option was about $6K for the IVF cycle, of course that does not include medication.
Not applicable.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
The IVF coordinator never sent the doctors orders to radioloy to get my HSG scheduled. I had to call and email multiple times to get her to fax the order so I could schedule. These can only be scheduled in a very tight window so it was very very frustrating. She also never ordered my meds and I had to drive same day to another city to go pick up meds in person to start that night (they apparently don’t even keep a single dose in reserves at their clinic in case this happens). She also never sent my chart to HRC Orange County when I switched doctors. She scheduled me for a saline ultrasound to check the structure of my uterus and told me it was just a normal ultrasound. Imagine my surprise when I showed up on time (they told me I was late as I needed to check in for a procedure) and I didn’t bring any ibuprofen (wish I would have - ouch). She honestly just seemed very over worked and stretched too thin. Maybe it is her personality or maybe she doesn’t have the support and resources she needed. Either way, my whole cycle and experience was much poorer for it.
Oceanside
When our egg retrieval failed he [Dr. Coffler] spent time with us reviewing what happened in detail, and helped with a plan forward...When we first sat down with Dr. Coffler, he was straightforward with the coarse of treatment he thought would be best for us. He was very candid and honest. I appreciated his openness. I saw him on nearly every visit. He had an upbeat attitude and was positive....When all of our embryos arrested on Day 5, i found out when I called the office to get a status. At that time, noone had even looked at the results.
The staff [HRC] are all super nice people. They could be more organized. Communication was lacking. I had to reach out to the coordinator to get updates, when they should have been reaching out to me...The staff are all caring. They can improve on communication, organization, and communication of financial issues. When all of our embryos arrested on Day 5, i found out when I called the office to get a status. At that time, noone had even looked at the results.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
When our egg retrieval failed he spent time with us reviewing what happened in detail, and helped with a plan forward
The staff are all super nice people. They could be more organized. Communication was lacking. I had to reach out to the coordinator to get updates, when they should have been reaching out to me
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
Our insurance covered everything except PGS
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
There was a lack of communication with test results.
Oceanside

Dr. Coffler seems to be knowledgeable of new practices and is very confident in his abilities; however, he didn’t seem very flexible with his treatment plan for us which added on some expenses we weren’t expecting. ... Ask questions when you have them. ... Do research and educate yourself. ... Nursing staff [HRC] is friendly and relayed my questions to Dr. Coffler in a timely manner.
The clinical and office staf f[HRC] is very friendly and always remembered my name; however, our experience was that we had to reach out to them for determining the next steps of our treatment or for financial related questions. My expectation was that they would be in touch with us and take the lead on those types of things. ... Nursing staff is friendly and relayed my questions to Dr. Coffler in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Mickey Coffler at HRC Fertility?
Do research and educate yourself. Ask questions when you have them.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinical and office staff is very friendly and always remembered my name; however, our experience was that we had to reach out to them for determining the next steps of our treatment or for financial related questions. My expectation was that they would be in touch with us and take the lead on those types of things.