Johns Hopkins Medical Institute

Doctor available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Wisconsin
ResidencyJohns Hopkins
FellowshipJohns Hopkins
10753 Falls Road
Baltimore, MD 21093
410-583-2753
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mindy Christianson to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 61%Neutral: 39%9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Johns Hopkins Medical Institute to a friend?
IVF, Donor Sperm
For IUI, my wife was young (25) and didn't have an fertility issues, so Dr. Christianson only had her do the trigger shots. After the 3rd IUI she was successful. For RIVF, after telling Dr. Christianson that our goal is to have one child from this process, she was quick to note the proper treatment strategies, minimizing medications, to ensure we don't have a bunch of leftover embryos. We plan to retrieve and transfer in the summer.
European, East Asian, Black or African-American
IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Mindy Christianson at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Dr. Christianson is great. She is kind and genuine. We had her as our doctor for IUI two years ago (successful after 3attempts) and are going back to her now for RIVF. She understands our goals and gets us in for appointments on our time rather than forcing us on a certain schedule. She communicates very well through their online database as well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Mindy Christianson at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
I would say this for any doctor, but know your goals going in so the doctor is able to tailor their plans to your goals. For RIVF, be clear on which partner is doing what, we had a couple mixups, but Dr. Christianson's assigned nurse has been quick to check with Dr. Christianson and make the necessary changes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Mindy Christianson at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?
Dr. Christianson is really nice and makes the process go by as easy as possible.
Describe the protocols Mindy Christianson used in your cycles at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Style)
We are a same sex couple so there were a couple mixups between who was retrieving and who was transferring early on, but she was quick to make the changes when we called. She is a great nurse that has been very nice and accommodating.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
Strengths would be the great doctors and nurses. I also really like that I can see all the visit notes online in my mychart. Weakness would be the cost associated with IVF is high. I had med students in a few of my appointments and you would think this should drive the cost of care down some since they’re using the clinic as a classroom.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Mindy Christianson at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
Approximately per cycle OOP costs not including medicine: $11,000 for IVF $5400 for frozen embryo transfer $2400 for IUI
Describe Mindy Christianson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
She recommended single embryo transfer because we are relatively young with no fertility issues. We would've went this route either way since we do not want to risk having multiples.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Christianson is very responsive on the online portal and responds to all of my questions no matter how many I need to ask. She also makes it a point to call personally when trying to adjust a plan or testing etc....When my first ivf cycle failed we changed the protocol by adding an endometrial scratch....because it is a group practice and you may see a different doctor each time you go in for monitoring....She is very open to the steps that you feel comfortable with taking
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
As a patient I feel like she is doing everything in her power to help us conceive. When my first ivf cycle failed we changed the protocol by adding an endometrial scratch. She also did further testing. The second cycle also failed and we are in the process of completing a more aggressive protocol and testing before moving forward. I do wish that all of the testing would have been completed at the beginning so that we could have known more of what to expect. I think that at this point it really is a puzzle because all of the tests show that it should have worked by now. I do feel that she is being diligent about trying to troubleshoot where we can.
Be your own advocate. She is definitely going to give you the best care but if you have a test or supplement that you would like to know about, she will take the time to tell you the pros and cons of it. She will also thoroughly explain every step so be ready to take notes. *smile* But seriously, if you want to know something, don't be afraid to ask. She is very open to the steps that you feel comfortable with taking. For instance because of my age they would only usually transfer one embryo but she let me decide how many I wanted to transfer. After my first failed cycle she asked if I would be comfortable with two being transferred and ultimately let me make the finally decision.
It is easy to feel like a number because it is a group practice and you may see a different doctor each time you go in for monitoring. However, Dr. Christianson is very responsive on the online portal and responds to all of my questions no matter how many I need to ask. She also makes it a point to call personally when trying to adjust a plan or testing etc.
Cycle 1: Stimulation- gonal f and menopur with cetrotide. I ended up being high risk for OHSS so she decided to do a freeze all cycle. I had about 30 follicles and retrieved 15 mature eggs. FET-after my period started I was able to do a frozen embryo transfer. We decided to do 1 embryo because of my age and the likelihood that it would be successful. I used estrogen patches for 14 day, crinone for 5 days (there was a progesterone in oil shortage at the time), medrol and doxycycline (those are standard at the practice before a transfer). That cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test. FET2- When my period started from the last failed cycle, I took birth control because the clinic was closed for the holidays. When they reopened I went in for a saline ultrasound to check for polyps and an endometrial scratch. I stopped the birth control then started the estrogen 2 days after. I began the progesterone in oil on day 14 of my cycle and had a transfer of 2 embryos 5 days later. That cycle also resulted in a negative test. Now: We are in the process of developing the protocol for my next transfer. I will complete an ERA to make sure that we are transferring at the right time. Then I will wait for my period to come. Once that ends, I will have a hysteroscopy to ensure that nothing was overlooked in the saline ultrasound. I will also be completing an immune protocol for the next cycle which will include a higher steroid dose and lovenox.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
As a new patient you should know that this is a group practice. This means that when you go for monitoring you may meet with whatever doctor is scheduled that morning. I liked that they did monitoring in the morning because I didn't need to miss time from work. Also the changing of doctors during clinics can be a good thing because you become comfortable with all of the doctors and they may be the one completing your transfer or retrieval so its good to at least be familiar with them. Sometimes I do feel that they may not remember me personally but I dont take it personal since they see so many people in the mornings for monitoring.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
For monitoring the clinic opens at 630, the lab opens at 6 am. Usually your lab tests for the cycle are already in the online portal so I would arrive early, go get blood work done, then go upstairs and sign in to be seen. They would go in a first come first served fashion. If the list was already long when I arrived, I would sign in, then go for my blood work and come back.
the ivf cycle was about 10K and the FET cycles are about 5600. Freezing of embryos was $600 and thawing was $250 per cycle.
I was advised to transfer one embryo initially because of my age. The second cycle she suggested we do 2 and I agreed.
Baltimore
She [Dr. Christianson] was easy to reach, especially by email. She responded promptly, and took a direct interest in my care. Of everyone I met at JH fertility I would go to her again and again. Without her I would have transferred my care...If you don't want to play doctor roulette, let her know...I have PTSD and had issues with the male doctors in the practice (not fully their fault, mostly my PTSD) and Dr Christianson worked her schedule so I saw her, not other doctors.
She was easy to reach, especially by email. She responded promptly, and took a direct interest in my care. Of everyone I met at JH fertility I would go to her again and again. Without her I would have transferred my care.
If you don't want to play doctor roulette, let her know.
I used a low dose injection and Clomid, as well as a trigger shot each cycle. She adjusted dose each cycle depending on egg numbers, I used injectibles and clomid with my toddler, so she used a similar protocol as I was used to with the other practice.
Describe your experience with Johns Hopkins Medical Institute.
They play a lot of doctor roulette, if youblike consistent care with one doctor, they may not be the right fit.
What specific things went wrong at Johns Hopkins Medical Institute?