University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care

Not available by direct line
Medical SchoolNYU
ResidencyU. of Pennsylvania
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
3701 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
800-789-7366
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Monica Mainigi to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care to a friend?
How was your experience with Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Dr. Mainigi is thorough, communicative, compassionate, and incredibly detail-oriented. During a really vulnerable time, she completely put my partner and me at ease. She knew so many details about my story during each of our conversations and was able to talk about my medical history in detail without even glancing at my chart. She is incredibly prepared for each appointment. She's also very empathetic and completely understands the delicate balance between emotional urgency and cost. Would recommend to anyone -- She's the best!!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Provide her with as many details as possible, as she takes everything into consideration when creating an individualized plan. She's also incredibly honest and communicative, so you'll get thorough answers to your questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
Even if weeks -- or, in one case, months -- go by without an appointment, Dr. Mainigi always cites specific details about my experiences. She maintains eye contact the whole time rather than looking at a screen. This suggests that she both takes detailed notes after each appointment and reviews her patients' charts carefully before each appointment. I have never before had a doctor who is that detailed and prepared.
Describe the protocols Monica Mainigi used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
After my initial testing (bloodwork, ultrasound), I had a hysteroscopy to evaluate whether or not I had a uterine polyp. Dr. Mainigi wanted to take this step after one of my ultrasounds because the alternative was to wait and do a second ultrasound weeks later -- which, in addition to not being efficient, wouldn't have enabled her to treat any polyps if she found them. Post procedure, she recommended that I begin IUI because she knew that I had already been trying for a long time and was eager to move forward as quickly as possible. She was very understanding when I delayed this by a couple of months after finding out that my insurance doesn't cover any fertility treatments, and supported my decision to try Clomid alone for two months. When that didn't work, we started the IUI process. I'm undergoing my first round now -- She generally recommends 3 rounds of IUI before moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
The nursing staff have all been wonderful. They've provided thorough answers to my questions and always respond very quickly when I reach out via the online messaging system.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strengths: Incredible staff, limited wait times, and lots of transparency about procedures and associated costs. Weaknesses: This is an issue with fertility treatments generally, but the only weakness I can find is the cost of treatment. Much of that is related to my insurance rather than to this clinic. IUIs with Clomid cost $1000, IUIs with injections (which I have not had) cost $2000, and a round of IVF is $8000. This is relatively comparable to the costs I've seen at other clinics in this area with the exception of the IUI, which seems to be a bit pricier than other clinics nearby.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
I had a great insurance plan during my initial visits and hysteroscopy, so I only had to pay $10 copays. Under my new insurance, I've had to pay for everything. The Clomid costs about $16/month (for 10 pills). A round of IUI is $1000 and a round of IVF is $8000. I was also told that IUI with injections is $2000 but I haven't undergone this procedure and don't know very much about it. Those prices do not include associated prescriptions. The one injection for my IUI was around $35 under my insurance plan. I believe I paid around $100 for my most recent consultation.
Phila - Market

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Monica Mainigi at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.

2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
Dr. Manigi was very kind but over confident about the success of treatment due to my age. I did not have the intended result of pregnancy. She was familiar with endometriosis but I think my case was very complicated and I'm not sure she was fully aware of how to deal with my individual situation... Tubal check was the initial procedure to make sure my tubes were open followed by surgery was the initial treatment. I was first put on clomid and then moved to ivf
2013 - 2018
Endometriosis, Other, Unexplained
Ask a lot of questions about your treatment plan and next steps in the event treatment doesn't help
Dr. Manigi was pleasant and cared about my goals
Nursing staff were kind but overwhelmed and could not provide individual care
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Overwhelmed and unavailable at times which caused undue stress to patients. The clinical was flexible with scheduling and the turn around time from initial visit to treatment was quick. Wouldn't advise a young patient to go here as my case wasn't considered to be as bad as others which I feel often the severity of my case was overlooked and I was often told your young so you have time
About $18,000
Describe Monica Mainigi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Proper count if follicles I developed ovarian cyst during ivf treatment which were initially mistaken as follicles
What specific things went wrong at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?