7.3

Monica Pasternak works at

1 Daniel Burnham Court
San Francisco, CA 94109

Treated 2020
Dr. Pasternak completed my embryo transfer. I had a PGS tested, day 5, 5AA Embryo, the best embryo one can have...She spent over 30 minutes trying to find my uterus and was unable to do so. She ended up causing me so much pain throughout this 30 minute process...I felt like a number rather than a human because she continued to just try, allowing blood to enter my uterus, leading to a chemical pregnancy. At no time did she let me know that there was another option here - which
The night before egg retrieval, one has to inject a drug. The instructions given to me [by Spring Fertility] were incorrect. I only knew this because I have had egg retrievals prior to this. When I called the doctor on staff that night and left a message, I did not receive a call back. However, the injectable must be timed perfectly, so a callback was necessary. I followed up - she gave me other instructions- which I then told her I thought were not accurate. At that point, she apologized and told me she had me confused with another patient. She then said she'd have to check with the nurse on the instructions to my injectable. All in all, everything went okay, because (1) I've had experience with egg retrievals before (2) I'm great at advocating for myself. However, what about the women who are doing this for the first time and do not feel comfortable speaking up to a doctor? I'm writing this review for those women!
How was your experience with Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility?
I saw Dr. Pasternak about 3 times while I was at Spring. 2 times for appointments to monitor my IVF cycle (where she just measured my lining an counted number of eggs). She performed those competently. However, her weakness was, as I've stated in the embryo transfer. Dr. Pasternak has not been practicing for many years, and I suspect that her ego was committed to finishing the embryo transfer at all costs, rather than thinking about me as a patient or my future child. If she had, she would have stopped when she was having difficulty after 5 minutes (not 30/while/ I was in massive pain), obtained her supervisor, and explained that she had spent 30 minutes in my uterus, so that implantation would have been impossible. She would have explained that implantation was impossible and that I had the option to refreeze my embryo, and try again. She did none of those things. She simply continued to cause blood to enter my uterus, causing me to lose a 5AA embryo at age 43.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility?
think Dr. Pasternak is fine for basic monitoring of lining and counting of eggs for IVF, becuase she doesn't make any decisions there. She just reports the information to the supervisor/doctor you have hired and they instruct on next steps. However, I would not let her touch you for an egg retrieval, an IUI, or an embryo transfer. From my experience, she can't take responsibility when she makes errors. To err is human, but to continue to err and jeapordize a patient once a Doctor realizes harm is antithetical to the Hippocrates oath of "Do no harm."
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Pasternak completed my embryo transfer. I had a PGS tested, day 5, 5AA Embryo, the best embryo one can have She spent over 30 minutes trying to find my uterus and was unable to do so. She ended up causing me so much pain throughout this 30 minute process, and I later found out from medical experts after the fact that her insertion of the catheter into my uterus would have caused implantation to be impossible. I felt like a number rather than a human because she continued to just try, allowing blood to enter my uterus, leading to a chemical pregnancy. At no time did she let me know that there was another option here - which I found out later - to just freeze my embryo and schedule another appointment, given that implantation failure was a definite due to her errors. I ended up having a chemical pregnancy and losing the best embryo I have ever received. At age 43, I don't have many other chances. Dr. Pasternak put her need to insert the embryo over preserving my embryo. She made me feel like just a number on her list of embryos to implant and put herself first before my future child.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Irina)
Irina was a wonderful nurse. Totally organized, compassionate, could not ask for a better nurse.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: Dr. Minjarez is an excellent doctor who oversaw my IVF protocol and got me an amazing result. She is able to think outside of the box, and really tailor treatment to the particular patient. Weaknesses: In my opinion (and I emphasize this is my opinion and not fact), Spring is growing at a remarkably fast rate. Many IVF clinics are receiving Private Equity funding, and are becoming more profit driven. They are hiring many new doctors, and many of those doctors are the ones assigned the embryo transfers, retrievals, etc. However, based on my experience with Dr. Pasternak, she was not trained well. And particularly not trained well for what to do when there is difficulty. Difficulty is expected in the medical field and doctors need to have a game plan for that. Another weakness is that after my exprience, I asked to speak to Dr. Pasternak, and was sent a quick email telling me not to worry rather than get on the phone with me after this traumatic incident. Lastly, I found this clinic to be too lax with Covid restrictions. I had to tell two of the doctors that their masks were falling off and their noses were not covered. This was in the middle of the height of the pandemic. Additionally, I had three incidences of people in the waiting room not wearing masks and the receptionist in charge was not enforcing the mask policy.
Describe Monica Pasternak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
1 as I had a PGT tested embryo of the highest possible quality
What specific things went wrong at Spring Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
The night before egg retrieval, one has to inject a drug. The instructions given to me were incorrect. I only knew this because I have had egg retrievals prior to this. When I called the doctor on staff that night and left a message, I did not receive a call back. However, the injectable must be timed perfectly, so a callback was necessary. I followed up - she gave me other instructions- which I then told her I thought were not accurate. At that point, she apologized and told me she had me confused with another patient. She then said she'd have to check with the nurse on the instructions to my injectable. All in all, everything went okay, because (1) I've had experience with egg retrievals before (2) I'm great at advocating for myself. However, what about the women who are doing this for the first time and do not feel comfortable speaking up to a doctor? I'm writing this review for those women!
Treated 2020
She [Dr. Monica Pasternak] is compassionate, but direct; quick but very thorough. She clearly takes her work seriously but doesn’t take herself too seriously - she would always ask about my life outside of the clinic and tell me about hers. It put me at ease and made the whole thing feel more normal...We did IVF - we’ve done one round and we’re on hold to start our second (waiting for the shelter in place to lift). My treatment was pretty typical, per my understanding, and quick. I met dr Pasternak on 2/4 and had my retrieval on 3/7.
I was really impressed with the staff [at Spring Fertility]. I felt very well taken care of and thought all communication was timely and thorough while also feeling human...Really strong communication, availability of appointments, and overall friendly competent staff across all professions. I also appreciated that I could send one email and reach everyone at once. Every appointment was on time and I was in and out as quickly as possible...We did IVF - we’ve done one round and we’re on hold to start our second (waiting for the shelter in place to lift). My treatment was pretty typical, per my understanding, and quick. I met dr Pasternak on 2/4 and had my retrieval on 3/7.
How was your experience with Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility?
She is compassionate, but direct; quick but very thorough. She clearly takes her work seriously but doesn’t take herself too seriously - she would always ask about my life outside of the clinic and tell me about hers. It put me at ease and made the whole thing feel more normal.
Be direct with what you want and she’ll be direct in telling you how to get that
Dr Pasternak was immediately relatable - kind, direct, and thorough without being pretentious. I felt at ease right away, like she was on my side and smart about what she was suggesting.
Describe the protocols Monica Pasternak used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Markie )
I was really impressed with the staff. I felt very well taken care of and thought all communication was timely and thorough while also feeling human
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility.
I have great insurance so I paid almost nothing out of pocket
San Francisco
My partner and I want two kids, and at first Dr. Pasternak suggested IUI for the first child since I don't have any documented fertility issues. But we changed courses to IVF because we wanted the healthiest eggs and 37-year old eggs are presumably better than 39-year old eggs. Once that was decided, Dr. Pasternak came up with the protocols to make that happen...She was incredibly knowledgeable with her answers to our questions, and she always took the extra time to explain something to us. In addition, she's very personable, funny, and made the IVF process a lot less scary. In fact, under her care, the process was actually fun and exciting because she kept us involved in how my follicles were growing and how many eggs we were going to get. Every appointment we had with her was positive, and she was absolutely wonderful during my egg retrieval. She was quick and I felt ZERO pain afterwards. In fact, under her care, I ba
Great team [at Spring Fertility]- incredibly professional...Jordan always responds with compassion and insight; Markie is quick with medication and putting my mind at ease with things that may be out of the ordinary, and Dana is always jumping in if anyone is off that day so that way we aren't waiting for an answer...Cycle 1 cost about $18,500, with a 10% discount for Cycle 2. Medication cost about $5,000. Egg transfer will cost $3,000-$5,000 according to the cost sheet.
How was your experience with Monica Pasternak at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Pasternak was wonderful to me as a patient. The individual monitoring appointments were fun since she was always explaining how the follicles were growing. And when I was getting concerned that I may not have as many eggs on one side than the other, she was reassuring that what I was going through was normal and not to worry. But at the same time, she was direct with the facts to not give me false hope. She mentioned that there was a chance that I could end up with 0 healthy embryos at the end of my treatment (luckily I ended up with 2!) I trust the advice she gives, the facts that she presents, and the way she delivers the information to us.
Tell her exactly what you want upfront. My partner and I want two kids, and at first Dr. Pasternak suggested IUI for the first child since I don't have any documented fertility issues. But we changed courses to IVF because we wanted the healthiest eggs and 37-year old eggs are presumably better than 39-year old eggs. Once that was decided, Dr. Pasternak came up with the protocols to make that happen.
Dr. Monica is a first rate doctor. From day one of meeting her, my partner and I knew we were in good hands. She was incredibly knowledgeable with her answers to our questions, and she always took the extra time to explain something to us. In addition, she's very personable, funny, and made the IVF process a lot less scary. In fact, under her care, the process was actually fun and exciting because she kept us involved in how my follicles were growing and how many eggs we were going to get. Every appointment we had with her was positive, and she was absolutely wonderful during my egg retrieval. She was quick and I felt ZERO pain afterwards. In fact, under her care, I barely felt any pain at any time. She was absolutely wonderful in her expertise and her knowledge. And she made my partner feel just as included in the process. Even though there are strict COVID protocols, she allowed my partner to be with me during the appointments, which was so kind. I have recommended Dr. Pasternak to two of my family members and we trust her with our journey 100%.
I am currently in my second Cycle. The first cycle was probably the more standard protocol, which was to start the injectable medications after ovulation, and to start off with higher doses and then generally go down during the cycle. My second cycle is a bit different in that I started a few days after the egg retrieval for Cycle 1, and then was on a birth control (?) pill for 10 days or so and then light injectables to start off with. So far so good. Each cycle has been easy with no to little pain.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Markie)
Everyone on Dr. Pasternak's team is WONDERFUL! From Jordan, Dana, and Markie - we were in good hands. Jordan always responds with compassion and insight; Markie is quick with medication and putting my mind at ease with things that may be out of the ordinary, and Dana is always jumping in if anyone is off that day so that way we aren't waiting for an answer. Great team - incredibly professional.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I have already recommended Spring Fertility to two of my family members and would recommend them to any of my friends/family that asks. They are professional and organized. Their appointment reminders are timely, their appointments are always on time, the staff is friendly and helpful (for the most part). We are pleased with our choice to come to Spring Fertility.
Dr. Pasternak didn't recommend more than one transfer for me. I am assuming it's because I don't have a documented fertility issue. But we will know more about our options closer to embryo transfer.