Medical SchoolU. of Iowa
San Francisco, CA 94109
Redwood City
570 Price Avenue
Redwood City, CA 94063
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Nam Tran to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Spring Fertility to a friend?
2018 - 2020
What we appreciated the most was Dr Tran's direct, confident and no fluff demeanor. Often times, he was more confident in a positive outcome than we were which is what I would want with my fertility doctor. We did experience 1 miscarriage with an IUI cycle which Dr Tran showed a nice balance of compassion and yet still a focus on the path forward...If you want a personalized, down to business, direct and a results driven outcome, then Dr Tran is who you'd want to see.
[Spring Fertility's] strengths: medical staff, knowledge of the co-founding doctors, the nursing staff and nurse practitioner are also all great, inviting, organized, clean, resourceful as they have medications on hand if you need it in an emergency sense...If I had one critique, it would be with the financial coordinator who didn't always know the answers to some pretty simple questions I had regarding mediation cost and wasn't always prompt in communication response.
2018 - 2020
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
We couldn't be happier as patients of Dr Tran. We saw him at Spring in 2018 when the clinic was still growing and again at the end of 2019 when the clinic had grown exponentially but we experienced the same level of care from Dr Tran. What we appreciated the most was Dr Tran's direct, confident and no fluff demeanor. Often times, he was more confident in a positive outcome than we were which is what I would want with my fertility doctor. We did experience 1 miscarriage with an IUI cycle which Dr Tran showed a nice balance of compassion and yet still a focus on the path forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
If you want a fertility doctor who is going to hold your hand, provide some fluffiness to your consults and consultations with a pair of rosy glasses on, this is not the doctor for you. If you want a personalized, down to business, direct and a results driven outcome, then Dr Tran is who you'd want to see.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
We've been a patient of Dr Tran's for 2 separate treatment cycles and have always felt like our consults and treatment conversations were personalized. He was always available for questions and concerns outside of appointment times.
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
Walking into the clinic, I thought for sure we would be doing IVF but after our consultation, ultrasound and fertility vitals, Dr Tran recommended that we start with IUI first since the more %s of increase in chances of being pregnant with IVF vs IUI wasn't worth the exponential extra cost of IVF. For our first treatment cycle, we did two rounds of IUIs. The first round resulted in a miscarriage at 5.5 weeks and the second round results in my now healthy toddler. For our second treatment cycle which was 10 months after giving birth, we did two rounds of IUI. The first round didn't take and the second round resulted in twins which I am currently in the third trimester of.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
I worked with multiple nurses at Spring Fertility and all were very responsive and helpful. I hardly ever had to stress about communication or to knowing answers to questions I had during my treatment. I only had 1 confusing situation/encounters which was caused by miscommunication with one of the medical assistants but cleared up with Dr Tran. If I had one critique, it would be with the financial coordinator who didn't always know the answers to some pretty simple questions I had regarding mediation cost and wasn't always prompt in communication response.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Clinic strengths: medical staff, knowledge of the co-founding doctors, the nursing staff and nurse practitioner are also all great, inviting, organized, clean, resourceful as they have medications on hand if you need it in an emergency sense. Weakness: communication with the financial coordinator.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.
The initial consult was out of pocket which was reasonable. My first two IUI cycles were covered by work and we paid out of pocket for the 2nd two IUI cycles which we found was reasonable as well.
San Fran

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.

2019 - 2020
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Tran reviewed our results and agreed that IVF with ICSI was our best path forward. Because my results were all within standard range, he said our chances were relatively high, comparatively -- about 60% chance of conception per cycle. I was put on Menopur and Gonal-F to prepare for the retrieval, and we were able to stay the course without making changes to the protocol as the eggs were progressing as expected...strongly recommended single embryo transfer, and given my age and the risks, I was happy with this approach.
We used ICSI and they grew the embryos to day 6 [at Spring Fertility]. Only two made it to day 6, both of which we chose to send for PGS testing. One came back as normal, the other was "inconclusive." We would have been allowed to either re-test the inconclusive embryo or transfer it without further testing...I was very happy with my primary nurse. She was communicative and extremely helpful when we had some trouble with insurance timing and the medication. I appreciate all her support and patience with us.
2019 - 2020
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
When we first met with Dr. Tran for a consultation, he was very efficient but thorough. He explained our options in a straightforward manner. We received a lot of information that first visit, but we had a fairly clear sense of our path forward, though the question of timing was still a little hard to grasp. We were able to proceed with treatment relatively quickly, and I always felt like I was in good hands with Dr. Tran. I appreciated that I saw him on most visits and that he handled my procedures himself. We had one minor confusion when he told us he thought we could do a transfer before the end of the year, when really January was the actual outcome because of holiday closures, but while that felt frustrating at the time, I'm glad we did the transfer at a time when we could have full access to Dr. Tran and the clinic. On the day of the retrieval, he did a great job putting me at ease, joking about the music playing in the procedure room. We got some bad news after my retrieval - only 2 embryos made it to day 6 out of the original 18 - and Dr. Tran explained that it might be due to the quality of my eggs over the phone. I think that information would have been a little easier to take in person, but I appreciate that he was able to take the time to talk to us about it. While things sometimes felt like they moved quickly with Dr. Tran, I know he's a very experienced doctor with a great track record, so I feel grateful we were able to work with him.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. Dr. Tran will make time to answer them if he knows you have them.
While Spring was handling a lot of patients, I appreciated the attention from Dr. Tran. He kept appointments short and to-the-point without making me feel like he didn't have time for me -- I appreciated his efficiency as well as his personal approach.
My partner was diagnosed with male factor infertility before coming to Dr. Tran. We were told IVF with ICSI was our best option by the reproductive endocrinologist we had gotten testing with at Kaiser. Dr. Tran reviewed our results and agreed that IVF with ICSI was our best path forward. Because my results were all within standard range, he said our chances were relatively high, comparatively -- about 60% chance of conception per cycle. I was put on Menopur and Gonal-F to prepare for the retrieval, and we were able to stay the course without making changes to the protocol as the eggs were progressing as expected. I did the trigger injections 36 hours before the procedure, and came in for the retrieval, which resulted in 19 eggs, 18 of which made it to the embryo state. We used ICSI and they grew the embryos to day 6. Only two made it to day 6, both of which we chose to send for PGS testing. One came back as normal, the other was "inconclusive." We would have been allowed to either re-test the inconclusive embryo or transfer it without further testing. When the clinic reopened after the holidays, I went on birth control for about two weeks before starting medication (Letrozole then Medrol) to prepare for the transfer. I was not put on progesterone after bloodwork showed I had appropriate levels. I was given Valium to take the day of the transfer, and no further medication after that. I got a positive HCG result about two and half weeks after the transfer and am currently 14 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yvette Perez)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring is a very nice facility, I appreciate that it's not overwhelmingly clinical in atmosphere. It helped me feel like a person -- the touches like having snacks/drinks in the waiting room, and the running-water feature across from where you get your blood drawn. They're very friendly and accommodating. We struggled a little with our care coordinator at the beginning, and I was a little surprised by how much I had to advocate for myself when I expected a bit more hand-holding -- everything worked out, but I was initially a little frustrated by the confusion, which was mostly around timing. I was generally under the impression that they're growing a lot, quickly, which wonderful, but that some of the early missteps were just a result of that growth. Once I was handed over to the clinical team, everything was very smooth. While it's certainly not a deciding factor, the occasional difficulty of parking is something to be aware of -- at a stressful time, finding out the lot next door is closed or having to circle for spots is just something to account for in understanding the time it'll take to get to the appointments.
Describe Nam Tran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran strongly recommended single embryo transfer, and given my age and the risks, I was happy with this approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
We had some early confusion about timing for starting our first cycle -- we had a weekend trip planned out of town involving air travel, and because it fell around the time of possible ovulation, we weren't sure if we could start that cycle or not. It just took a bit of back and forth with our care coordinator. I also missed an injection class because I was sent the wrong date. In the scheme of things, these ended up being minor and manageable, they were just painful at the start of my treatment.
San Fran

Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Ask good questions...[Dr. Nam Tran is] happy to explain things...felt strongly that we should transfer 3 based on my age and egg quality...retrieved 10, had 9 embryos. 3 very good ones and a handful of ok ones. None made it to freeze. Transferred 3 on day three resulted in twins...is efficient, so I only saw him briefly during most visits. However, he was very familiar with my case during each visit and I felt like he was genuinely invested in our conceiving.
I definitely felt like we got what we paid for...Spring is not your cheapest option. However, with the price tag came very good client treatment. I never had to wait for an appointment. Dr. Tran always came in exactly on time, was quick and efficient, and they had me out the door. I was traveling from outside of SF for treatment and I loved that they had very early morning appointments--it meant I missed very little work relative to the number of appointments I had. The office is neat, they offer nice amenities (snacks, coffee, etc.) to make your wait more pleasant. Staff were all extremely friendly and professional. I liked that we even got to meet the embryologist when it came time to transfer. I also used their on call number once and was grateful to speak with one of the doctors on call to make sure I was dosing my medications correctly. I definitely felt like we got what we paid for.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran was always honest about our odds of conceiving. He was hopeful that it could work, but didn't offer false hope which I appreciated. He was good at explaining what he was doing and why. He seemed to have a good balance between using evidence-based methods and a willingness to try something else when that didn't work. He is fairly technical and clinical, but I think that's what you want: someone precise and exacting. In the end, we trusted him and when he was optimistic that a second round could yield better results than our first, we agreed. And he was right! Our second round was successful.
Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Ask good questions, he's happy to explain things. Trust that his number one goal is to help you conceive and he'll do what he can to make that happen.
Dr. Tran is efficient, so I only saw him briefly during most visits. However, he was very familiar with my case during each visit and I felt like he was genuinely invested in our conceiving.
Round one: started with lupron then was on 150 menopur, 225 gonal f for 4 days, then 150 of each for 4 days, then 75 menopur/150 gonal f for 1 day. Produced 14 follicles, 9 embryos, all poor quality by day 3. Transferred the best 3 on day 3, resulted in a chemical pregnancy with nothing left to freeze. Round 2: started on Aygestin then was on 150 each menopur and gonal f for 8 days, then 75 menopur/150 gonal f for 3 days, then 75 of each for last day. Also took HGH throughout. Began cetrotide last 4 days. This time he also cultured our embryos differently. This time retrieved 10, had 9 embryos. 3 very good ones and a handful of ok ones. None made it to freeze. Transferred 3 on day three resulted in twins.
The staff were always courteous and efficient. We had an incident where meds weren't ordered in time which would have resulted in a delayed cycle (we ended up delaying for other reasons). Staff called us quickly afterward to find out what happened and ensured us it wouldn't happen again.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran felt strongly that we should transfer 3 based on my age and egg quality.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
We lived outside the same-day medication delivery area which I communicated multiple times. It still resulted in medications being ordered late and missing the delivery window which would have pushed back our cycle start date (we ended up taking that cycle off). They did follow up with their quality improvement folks to discuss what happened, which I appreciated.

PCOS, Unexplained, Other
I had failed multiple IUI cycles elsewhere already. Based on my ethnicity and a combination of PCOS and unexplained infertility, and with some other considerations (like limited sperm vials to work with) I was recommended [by Dr. Nam Tran] an antagonist protocol for a freeze-all cycle and FET. We opted for PGS just because we could. We ended up having to adjust medications downwards because I was responding too well. Got more of everything than estimated - eggs, fertilized #, day 3, day 5/6. FET was a letrozole-assisted cycle and succeeded on the first try...He had a VERY, very, very, very strong preference for eSET due to my age and PGS-tested AA grade embryos.
I had nothing but excellent experiences with all the nursing staff [at Spring Fertility]. Every question I had was answered, even at 9pm at night, and all communications were timely...18k for stimulation/retrieval including icsi and pgs. around 4k for medications. 4500-5000 for FET. then $950 for saline sono and $450 for the last appointment to confirm pregnancy before graduating to my regular OB...I think the clinic is pretty great and their doctors, embryologists, and nursing staff are top notch. I also had no issues with billing or with any other clinic interactions. Spring was also one of the only Bay Area clinics that weren't transphobic and queerphobic, and that counted for a lot for us.
PCOS, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I absolutely loved Dr. Tran. He was super straightforward, answered all my questions and beyond, and performed all procedures skillfully. He was also very respectful of me and my partner at every opportunity. It is a pretty rare situation that I leave a serious conversation with a doctor feeling pretty good about everything - even if the answer isn't necessarily what i wanted - but somehow he managed to make that happen.
I spend a lot of my time dealing with healthcare advocacy for others, so Dr. Tran's bluntness was a big positive. But if that's not working for you, I would highly recommend Dr. Harris, who I think was my favorite for bedside manner out of all the doctors at Spring that I saw in brief.
The attention to detail and the way everyone communicated with me felt very personalized. Everything from consideration of names and pronouns, to timely updates.
I had failed multiple IUI cycles elsewhere already. Based on my ethnicity and a combination of PCOS and unexplained infertility, and with some other considerations (like limited sperm vials to work with) I was recommended an antagonist protocol for a freeze-all cycle and FET. We opted for PGS just because we could. We ended up having to adjust medications downwards because I was responding too well. Got more of everything than estimated - eggs, fertilized #, day 3, day 5/6. FET was a letrozole-assisted cycle and succeeded on the first try.
I had nothing but excellent experiences with all the nursing staff. Every question I had was answered, even at 9pm at night, and all communications were timely.
San Fran

[Dr. Nam Tran is] not going to waste your time with un-substantiated rabbit holes...The one key decision, which was different from my past (unsuccessful) transfers with my 1st doctor: unmedicated transfer cycle, using my own body's natural cycle to guide transfer timing. I believe that made all the difference in my outcome! That meant that the stuff I had to do before my other (unsuccessful) transfers - endometrial scratch, ERA testing, daily injections with progesterone treatments - were not necessary...made a last-second decision to do ICSI with one of our retrievals. He clarified why and I'm fine with the rationale, but would have liked to know in advance.
[Spring Fertility has a] Concierge feel. Beautiful facilities, incredible medical team. I loved being able to work with Dr. Klatsky and Dr. Harris when Dr. Tran was out of the office. Both are incredible doctors. The surgery nurse is stellar...My experiences with the entire team were incredibly positive with the exception of Yvette. While she was very competent, her demeanor was lacking in compassion. Her delivery of our - positive!!! - pregnancy blood test results sounded like she was telling me my puppy died. TWICE...The one key decision, which was different from my past (unsuccessful) transfers with my 1st doctor: unmedicated transfer cycle, using my own body's natural cycle to guide transfer timing. I believe that made all the difference in my outcome! That meant that the stuff I had to do before my other (unsuccessful) transfers - endometrial scratch, ERA testing, daily injections with progesterone treatments - were not necessary.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
The proof is in the pudding. I'm a 42-year old woman, using my own eggs and husband's sperm, and am currently 20-weeks pregnant after a single embryo transfer! Dr. Tran is matter-of-fact and VERY data-based meaning he doesn't waste time with frivolous treatment without proven efficacy. After two failed transfers in LA, my doctor there had me going down rabbit holes. Not so with Dr. Tran! He reads all of the studies so you don't have to. At the same time Dr. Tran really, really cares about your outcomes. I have video of Dr. Tran in our first ultrasound, grinning from ear-to-ear. As we're all first laying eyes on our baby to be, Dr. Tran is ecstatically exclaiming "you've got a one good one!"
Don't be afraid to ask questions and be open to data-based answers. Like I said, he's not going to waste your time with un-substantiated rabbit holes.
1. Dr. Tran REALLY cares--I have a photo of him grinning from ear to ear as he is conducting my first ultrasound post-transfer, confirming our pregnancy! 2. The entire team converses with you in calming, collegial, layman's terms. 3. Every time I walked into the clinic, I was greeted with my name (without looking at the chart). 4. The demeanor of doctors, nurses, and staff, along with the physical setup of the office, are all very peaceful (i.e., designed with the human being in mind).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yvette)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
We chose eSET because of my risk factors: age and two previous ectopic pregnancies. That was absolutely the right thought process and decision!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran made a last-second decision to do ICSI with one of our retrievals. He clarified why and I'm fine with the rationale, but would have liked to know in advance.
San Fran

Dr. Tran is an intelligent, competent doctor, but there's a lack of emotional IQ to balance his intellectual IQ. ... I found Dr. Tran to be very conservative in his approach vs. other docs, which may be due to his background at UCSF (teaching hospital). He will not perform an ERA, or other new procedures, unless they have tons of data back them up. He won't order blood-tests or recommend aggressive treatments unless absolutely necessary.
pring is busy....really busy. They need more docs for the amount of patients they take on. It's easy to get lost in the cracks here...and there are a lot of cracks. What I love the most about Spring is the lab facility. It's a reason in itself to come here for treatment. I just wish their doctors, and care team were also part of that reason too! ... Unfilled medications, procedures rescheduled last minute, billing issues, lack of communication, etc. You have to stay on top of your care team, medications and billing - just be prepared!
Ashkenazi Jewish, Prefer not to answer
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran is an intelligent, competent doctor, but there's a lack of emotional IQ to balance his intellectual IQ. Infertility is an emotional journey, and we look to our doctors for support. Many times during my care I felt like he didn't have enough capacity for me, and he was taking on too many patients. In the worst of times, I felt abandoned by him as my doctor. He is present at appointments, but his time is rushed. Appointments have become difficult to schedule due to his split time between Redwood City and SF offices, and I have even had major procedures rescheduled last minute to accommodate his busy schedule.
Get to know your nurse, because Dr. Tran will not be available to you beyond your appointments. Be direct in your questions. Don't let yourself get rushed, or brushed off - speak up for yourself. You may need to ask questions multiple times to get the answer you need. Find a good therapist to help with the emotional stuff - you will need it.
Dr. Tran is smart, but we've been disappointed in his bedside care. As long as appointments and/or procedures go as planned, he is a fine, friendly doc. But when things get complicated (as they often do with IVF), he seems to lack patience, and is reluctant to verbalize his reasoning for making treatment decisions. We had a heart wrenching complication during our cycle, and Dr. Tran never went out of his way to check in on us. The only time we ever heard from him was during scheduled appointments, which were always rushed. If that's not being treated like a number, I don't know what is.
I found Dr. Tran to be very conservative in his approach vs. other docs, which may be due to his background at UCSF (teaching hospital). He will not perform an ERA, or other new procedures, unless they have tons of data back them up. He won't order blood-tests or recommend aggressive treatments unless absolutely necessary. He isn't super proactive - which may be partially due to his lack of time. If you're looking for a doc that will be extremely thorough, and give you all the bells and whistles, he many not be the doc for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laurel)
We never met our nurse and care coordinator in person, so it always felt detached, but overall kept decent rapport. Unfortunately we had several missteps with medications, treatment calendar information, etc. which caused some lost trust. Since the doctors are inaccessible beyond appointment hours, questions around treatment, etc. had to go through the nurse, which can get frustrating. Nursing staff at the clinic seems inexperienced overall, but there are some great gems if you can find them/get their time.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring is busy....really busy. They need more docs for the amount of patients they take on. It's easy to get lost in the cracks here...and there are a lot of cracks. What I love the most about Spring is the lab facility. It's a reason in itself to come here for treatment. I just wish their doctors, and care team were also part of that reason too!
We had some insurance coverage, but about $46-50k for retrieval, $6k for transfer, $800 for meds
I wasn't given an option - single embryo transfers only

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Be prepared with a list of questions to get the most out of your visits with Dr. Tran. We had most of our monitoring visits with him personally, but they're routine in nature and quick,...the whole reason we did IVF was the genetic test at D5/6 so we can minimize the risk miscarriage. The mid-luteal protocol didn't allow for a Day 3 transfer...He is strong with the numbers and the science behind this, which was important to my spouse particularly, but also showed great understanding and willingness to listen and consider not only new information but our desires about the ivf cycle we were undergoing as well as next steps. His team of nurses was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate.
team of nurses [at Spring Fertility] was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate...Dealing with the billing department at Spring was the most stressful and painful experience, an unwelcome one too given how taxing the IVF process already is. Inquires required multiple follow-ups before Spring would respond (sometimes 2-3 weeks later)...This is a boutique practice. The clinic was conveniently located for us, and they have other locations in the Bay Area. They seem to be growing and adding new doctors, but I never felt that I have to wait to get an appointment or even wait during an appointment for more than 5 minutes. They'd get me out on time as well, so there was minimal interruption to my work day. The online portal is good, but most importantly they respond and follow-up promptly.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
What I mostly appreciated about Dr. Tran was his willingness to listen and adjust the treatment as new information came in and we wanted a change in direction. I think there's a lot of ego in this field and his flexibility was refreshing. He is very keep on the mid-luteal protocol. At the beginning he was reluctant to share what approach he'd take, stating that he doesn't care what the protocol is called, but whether it is appropriate for us, but ultimately took the approach he seems to be known for. We experienced a setback with unusually high drop in embryos in the lab (b/n D3 and D5/6). He was upfront about how unexpected that result was and presented a solution, without throwing the stats based on my age in my face, which I appreciated. Ultimately, we didn't get to an embryo transfer with him. He very candidly shared his opinion that our embryos had a better chance in my uterus, which is what we came to realize, and showed that he had our interest at heart. This is not where the clinic makes money, so he won my full trust with this recommendation.
Be prepared with a list of questions to get the most out of your visits with Dr. Tran. We had most of our monitoring visits with him personally, but they're routine in nature and quick, so I found myself following up with the nurses with follow-up questions I didn't get to or didn't think of during the visits.
Dr. Tran showed interest in and concern about our individual journey to parenthood. He is strong with the numbers and the science behind this, which was important to my spouse particularly, but also showed great understanding and willingness to listen and consider not only new information but our desires about the ivf cycle we were undergoing as well as next steps. His team of nurses was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate.
We had to IVF cycles with mid-luteal protocol, with moderate to low doses. I had 8-9 follicles at baseline, and given that there wasn't much potential beyond that, it was important for me to not get overly medicated (some other fertility doctors we consulted with in our research mentioned "aggressive" protocol, which was a big turnoff). Dr. Tran took a moderate approach and adjusted down given my good response in the first cycle. The meds were 225 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur. Great response initially - of 8 follicles we retrieved 8 mature eggs, 7 fertilized with ICSI. Second time less so - of 9 follicles, we retrieved 4 and only 2 mature eggs which were fertilized. "0" embryos at Day 5/6, however, and the whole reason we did IVF was the genetic test at D5/6 so we can minimize the risk miscarriage. The mid-luteal protocol didn't allow for a Day 3 transfer. Seems like our embryos can't make it beyond that in lab environment.
My IVF nurse was phenomenal - responsive, knowledgeable, caring - just on top of her game in every sense. Yvette was super helpful and patient with all my questions, and they were many as I kept reading and educating myself. Same goes for my coordinator Nichakorn.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I definitely felt that I was getting personal care. This is a boutique practice. The clinic was conveniently located for us, and they have other locations in the Bay Area. They seem to be growing and adding new doctors, but I never felt that I have to wait to get an appointment or even wait during an appointment for more than 5 minutes. They'd get me out on time as well, so there was minimal interruption to my work day. The online portal is good, but most importantly they respond and follow-up promptly.
We went through insurance as we had some coverage (with a lifetime max). Still unsure of the total out-of-pocket costs for either cycle due to the messy billing. Dealing with the billing department at Spring was the most stressful and painful experience, an unwelcome one too given how taxing the IVF process already is. Inquires required multiple follow-ups before Spring would respond (sometimes 2-3 weeks later). They simple didn't address/ignored some direct questions. Last but not least, they said they'd do the billing in a certain way for our second cycle, but didn't do so despite the agreement we had reached on that. Super frustrating experience, and I am still entangled in this two months after treatment.
eSET was the considered approach but we didn't have a single embryo for transfer.
San Fran

I am early 30s with good stats, and his strategy was 3 unmedicated IUIs, then (if no pregnancy) 3 medicated IUIs, then potentially move on to IVF. ... now that I have had 3 unsuccessful IUIs, Dr. Tran thinks I should do one before beginning the more involved and expensive process of medicated IUIs. ... I have only ever seen Dr. Tram in person once, at my initial consult. ...
Strengths: friendly, easy to make appointments, knowledgeable staff [Spring Fertility] Weaknesses: billing can sometimes lag. Sometimes I will be asked to pay for a procedure the day I come in (my insurance doesn’t cover anything fertility related) whereas other times they would not charge me day of, and instead I would get hit with several appointments worth of charges a couple months later.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I have only ever seen Dr. Tram in person once, at my initial consult. My IUIs were done by different doctors, and all other information has been conveyed through nurses and my patient coordinator. However I feel like I’m getting the care I need, and if I move on to IVF, I believe I will see him more.
His primary focus is IVF, so if you are starting with IUI, you might not see him for many of your appointments. However he will still be involved in your care, and it’s easy to get answers to questions via your patient coordinator.
Along with the doctors and nurses, I was assigned a “patient coordinator” who is available to answer all my questions. Being able to go through this one person who knows me and my treatment history makes me feel much more connected to my treatment. It makes t easier to ask questions, so I understand more of what is going on. And everyone is always very responsive and friendly.
I am early 30s with good stats, and his strategy was 3 unmedicated IUIs, then (if no pregnancy) 3 medicated IUIs, then potentially move on to IVF. I have had three unsuccessful IUIs. I am now going to have an HSG test. I elected not to have one before beginning initial treatment, but now that I have had 3 unsuccessful IUIs, Dr. Tran thinks I should do one before beginning the more involved and expensive process of medicated IUIs. Depending on the results of the HSG test, I will either move on to the planned medicated cycles, or look at IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Brittany Delacruz)
Great! Very responsive and quick to answer questions. Also very warm and friendly.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: friendly, easy to make appointments, knowledgeable staff Weaknesses: billing can sometimes lag. Sometimes I will be asked to pay for a procedure the day I come in (my insurance doesn’t cover anything fertility related) whereas other times they would not charge me day of, and instead I would get hit with several appointments worth of charges a couple months later.
Monitoring ultrasounds—$400 IUI— Around $800

2017 - 2019
Dr. Tran has always been very honest and straightforward which I greatly appreciate. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs. ... He is straightforward and sets realistic expectations which is exactly what you need in this process so you are not giving an unrealistic sense of hope; with this approach it can lack a little bit of warmth in his messages but in the end you leave his office with a real sense of understanding for the future.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is professional and innovative; their results speak for themselves. However, with the rapid growth of the clinic they have lost some of the personal care and precise communication / organization that they had when the clinic first opened. ... I have worked with Laurel Maley and Allie Bell over the last several years and both of them were absolutely amazing and made a very stressful process smooth and bearable. They are knowledge, kind, responsive and effective in communicating / answering all the million of questions you have along the way.
European, South Asian, Native American
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
From a scientific and IVF protocol I completely trust Dr. Tran and his decisions. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs. He is straightforward and sets realistic expectations which is exactly what you need in this process so you are not giving an unrealistic sense of hope; with this approach it can lack a little bit of warmth in his messages but in the end you leave his office with a real sense of understanding for the future.
Be patient with the process and trust Dr. Trans decisions as he shares the same desired outcome.
I have been a patient of Dr. Tran from the beginning of the clinic's opening and as they have grown the level of individual attention to detail is slightly diminished. However, Dr. Tran has always been very honest and straightforward which I greatly appreciate. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs.
I did two retrievals using Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide and Novarel. Both retrievals resulted in a desirable amount of eggs; my particular problem is in growing the embryos to day 5. The number of embroys drastically dropped during this time. First retrieval results in 2 embryos that both came back normal after genetic testing. The second retrieval resulted in 1 embryo that came back abnormal. I then did a FET immediately following the second retrieval that resulted in a healthy pregnancy. I did a second transfer Sept 2019 with the remaining embryo from first retrieval that did not result in a pregnancy. I am currently undergoing preparation for another retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laurel Maley)
I have worked with Laurel Maley and Allie Bell over the last several years and both of them were absolutely amazing and made a very stressful process smooth and bearable. They are knowledge, kind, responsive and effective in communicating / answering all the million of questions you have along the way. They are thoughtful and compassionate; everything you would want in the person who is your primary contact during this process! There are some nursing staff that need to avoid speaking to you about your case when they don't know all the specifics; best to avoid communicating information that could lead to confusion.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is professional and innovative; their results speak for themselves. However, with the rapid growth of the clinic they have lost some of the personal care and precise communication / organization that they had when the clinic first opened.
The first two retrievals and transfer were covered by insurance. Second transfer was around $6,000 and current retrieval will be around $25,000
I agree with Dr. Tran's approach of eSET as I highly risk adverse to having multiple babies at my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
There was one instance when a nurse that I worked with briefly sent me conflicting information related to my protocol; however, after calling the clinic directly my questions and concerns were immediately addressed.

2017 - 2019
If a doctor with a really good bedside manner is important to you, chose one of the other doctors at this clinic. Dr. Tran can be a little "cold", but that was not something that bothered me...I trusted that he was well educated and believe that he made decision in our treatment that he thought would result in the best outcome. I felt that he set our expectations for success once we moved on to IVF too high. Sometimes I would have to push him to make changes to my course of treatment after multiple failures because he did not believe changes were needed. I'm not a fan doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.
Appointments were almost always on time [at Spring Fertility] which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss...Most of the nursing staff seemed to really care about the outcome of my treatment and showed a lot of empathy when things didn't work out. The front desk staff always greeted me by name...There were two miscommunications in the first 6 months of treatment that had me questioning whether I should continue treatment at this clinic, but after that everything was good. On our first IUI cycle, no one told us that my husband needed certain bloodwork before the IUI and they ended up having to push my IUI back a few days to give time to get his results back. There was another time when I was supposed to take a medication that noone told me about. I received a text reminder to take the medicine and that is how I found out about it and had to ask for a prescription. After we moved on to IVF, the communication was great and we didn't have any problems. The staff were always very responsive to questions over phone and email.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Appointments were almost always on time which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss. I was told by my Gyn that this clinic was the best choice if you are looking for the most cutting edge fertility treatment.
IUI cycle - $1,500 plus cost of meds IVF retrieval + PGS - $17,500 plus cost of meds Frozene Embryo Transfer - $4,500 plus cost of meds
Dr. Tran was very adamant about not transferring more than one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Issues were described under the nursing staff section
San Fran

[Dr. Nam Tran is] Creative yet evidence-based and doesn’t recommend a bunch of things you don’t need. He is a scientist and straightforward but compassionate, and has some good deadpan humor! He does explain things quickly so write down and bring your questions and don’t hesitate to send up a follow up question. I most appreciate that Dr. Tran is willing to keep working with poor prognosis patients—some clinics want to move on to donor eggs to boost their numbers but not the case here. We were initially devastated after our first two cycles led to no transferable embryos likely due to poor egg quality and me being a poor responder to meds. At that point he recommended proceeding with minimal stimulation ivf which worked really well for us and ended up giving us a better blast yield per cycle and ultimately leading to success for us. Not all clinics do mini IVF so I was grateful Spring offers this as other clinics would have either proceeded with full stim (high expense for low yield) or pushed donor eggs.
Spring Fertility really focuses on the patient experience-everyone is very responsive, they have a lot of nice touches...they pay attention to the little things. The protocols are tailored to individuals not just an algorithm...We had one instance where we had to call back and clarify a miscommunication about an embryo report. However literally every other communication (probably more than 100 contacts between appointments, emails, and phone calls) was timely and accurate.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran is seriously smart and on the cutting edge. Creative yet evidence-based and doesn’t recommend a bunch of things you don’t need. He is a scientist and straightforward but compassionate, and has some good deadpan humor! He does explain things quickly so write down and bring your questions and don’t hesitate to send up a follow up question. I most appreciate that Dr. Tran is willing to keep working with poor prognosis patients—some clinics want to move on to donor eggs to boost their numbers but not the case here. We were initially devastated after our first two cycles led to no transferable embryos likely due to poor egg quality and me being a poor responder to meds. At that point he recommended proceeding with minimal stimulation ivf which worked really well for us and ended up giving us a better blast yield per cycle and ultimately leading to success for us. Not all clinics do mini IVF so I was grateful Spring offers this as other clinics would have either proceeded with full stim (high expense for low yield) or pushed donor eggs.
Write down your questions and don’t hesitate to send the team a follow up question!
1 letrozole flare 1 mid-luteal start 3 mini IVF with clomid and gonalF/menopur
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
This clinic prioritizes the patient experience and does all the touches right. We had so many visits there over our time and really appreciated their organization, timeliness, and attention to all the little things.
Pricing is transparent and up front. Comparable to other clinics in the area. Mini IVF cycles can be packaged which makes the cost about 50% of a regular IVF cycle
They recommend eSET for PGS tested
San Fran

I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going... He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field...Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%... Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. ..He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way....
I love love love the clinic [Spring Fertility]. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going. We are awaiting our FET having undergone an egg retrieval and PGS testing we have 6 healthy embryos waiting for us. He predicted we would have 3 but would do everything he could to make it more and he did just that. He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field. I never questioned him because I had full faith he knew what he was doing and I was in the best hands possible.
Dr Tran has a dry sense of humour and is not the warm and cuddly type- he is a wildly clever doctor so don’t expect cuddles and a shoulder to cry on. He is fact driven, experienced and knows best so trust him. He was literally at the clinic every single time I went- 7am in the morning, Sunday’s, he was there. That’s what I want in a doctor.
Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%. He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way.
I did 14 days of stims using menopur and cetrotide. I had 7 monitoring visits before my egg retrieval and after each visit my dosages were changed to suit my blood results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Onjira )
Onjira was my primary care nurse and she was ok. Not the same level at Helen or Ava or any of the other nurses that helped me each visit. She did her job and was helpful when necessary but I think Dr. Tran deserves a better nurse.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I love love love the clinic. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
So far we have paid $18,750 for egg retrieval, $4400 for meds, $900 for additional embryo biopsy, and I believe FET will be $4500. All up it will cost well over $30,000- more if our FET is unsuccessful.
I am yet to transfer but Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. I am happy with this as I don’t want to put my body through any undue stress.
San Fran

Dr Tran is an incredible doctor- his knowledge of reproduction and his role in making it happen is astounding. I respect how efficient Dr Tran was at all of my appointments, I felt like he was always present and invested in our success. I felt safe, supported and 100% confident in his abilities as my doctor. ... He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays.
One of the things I most appreciated about Spring is their convenience. They are open every day of the year, they open at 7:30am so all of my monitoring appointments happened before work, they were always on time, I never waited and the facilities are spotless. There is parking available on site too, which made life so much easier. ... Onjira was my nurse and she was just ok. I am not one to ask too many questions but she didn’t seem to be up to the same standard as the rest of the nursing staff. Ayda and Helen we’re both brilliant.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr Tran is not going to sit there and give you a cuddle, if you are looking for a doctor to look you in the eyes and tell you everything is ok- that is not Dr Tran. He is smart, fast and to the point and I absolutely appreciated that about him. He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays. He must work 7 days a week, fertility and his work are clearly his passion and I felt so confident in his abilities at every step of the process.
Dr Tran will get you results, but don’t forget that this is a business and he’s a busy man. Expect the best service, honest answers and world class care.
Having done 4 unsuccessful IUIs with Kaiser and being very unimpressed with the care I received there, we moved to spring. I knew Dr Tran was our doctor and within 2 weeks of our first appointment I was starting injectables. I did a combination of menopur, gonal f and certitide for 13 days. My doses were adjusted each day depending on my daily ultrasound and blood results.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Egg retrieval- $18,500 Additional 2 embryo biopsy - $900 FET - $4500 Meds - $4400
I am yet to have my FET but have PGS rested embryos ready to go, our recommendation has been to transfer one embryo.
San Fran

We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. ... Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). ... He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics. ... So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
As we have only seen Dr. Tran for a consultation, I cannot speak to his care going through the IVF process. However, just based on our consultation, I know we have made the right choice. We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. Of course, things can change as you go through the cycle, and we are not quite there yet. Dr. Tran is after eggs of great quality that will create embryos of great quality. He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I would say to have your questions ready, and know that he speaks very scientifically. I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics.
Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). He was very sensitive because of the loss we've experienced, and although I did not feel like he treated us like a number, it was staggering to learn all the statistics and to think of IVF in a very systematic way like that. He knows what he is talking about, and fully acknowledges that there are anomalies or "lucky" situations that can occur, no matter what the numbers suggest. I appreciated his honesty.
As we have not done a cycle yet (most likely will start in June), I can only speak to the protocol we have been given. I was so elated to learn that I will not take birth control to start my cycle, but will begin injections about 3-6 days after ovulation of the cycle before egg retrieval. I am to call on first day of my period, go in for an ultrasound, and then return once I have a positive ovulation test for another ultra sound. From there, my treatment protocol will be personalized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chicas)
So far I have worked with Michelle, my care coordinator. I have had a few questions for her, and had to get her some info regarding previous testing I have done, and she has been so easy to work with. She communicates easily, responds quickly, and is readily available. She sets my mind at ease every time I talk to her.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
So far the clinic is awesome. So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately. I was surprised that they had 80's music in the waiting room. The receptionist at the front said that Dr. Tran likes to keep it fun. It was a little odd to have an ultrasound with an antral follicle count being done with Whitney Houston playing in the background, but hey, I kind of liked it!
Our consultation was paid for by insurance as we have some infertility coverage. I believe the appointment was around $400, plus additional lab fees for blood work. We received our workup for our IVF treatment, and it's around $18,000 for monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, taking sample of cells for PSG and sending them off. Meds are estimated to be an additional $4000 and then the FET is estimated to be another $3500-5000. This does not include the actual cost of the genetic testing. I think that is another $3000-5000.
Dr. Tran's approach is single embryo transfer as often as possible. He did not mention multiple embryo transfer, so I'm sure if he does it, it's on a case by case basis. As someone who has lost twins, I appreciate that our transfer will be a single one.

33 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Tran was warm, friendly and to the point. I really appreciated his ability to balance clear, candid and accurate information well also being super nice. He took the time to learn my goals, tailor the treatment, and set realistic expectations. My favorite part was that if my personal fertility goals had been different, he would have actually not recommended egg freezing. I love he was willing to turn away business if it wasn't in the best interest of his patient.
I am obsessed with this clinic. The facilities are convenient in the city, with a parking garage below and easy street meters. The ambiance is incredibly lux. The sparkling water and snacks were clutch with all the blood draws. I never had to wait long, unless I was early, but my favorite part was that patients in the waiting room were super diverse and friendly. The other patients would grab coffee and chat with each other.
33 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Nothing! You're in great hands at Spring. The whole experience is incredible with great customer service, support and facilities.
The clinic experience was so wonderful! The nurses and receptionists made a point to learn my name, offer snacks and water when I had blood draws, and ask about events happening in my life that I had shared. They were so lovely.
I elected to freeze my eggs for later use. I was given a tailored protocol of menopur, gonal, and later cetrotide. We used a lupron trigger to help avoid OHSS. Spring adjusted my dosages almost daily for the last half of my injects to help prevent OHSS (which they did!) and provided clear communication on their online portal about medications.
Yvette was my primary care nurse and Shirley was my scheduling coordinator. They were both incredibly responsive. Yvette was super helpful answering all my panicked emails when I thought I had done the injections wrong. She was super patient and sweet with my random questions about taking baths and tylenol too.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Progyny and my primary insurance handled all costs and billing. My out of pocket costs were minimal and covered by my yearly out of pocket maximum for all health coverage.
San Fran

Getting the doctors to perform tests or think about diagnostics beyond IVF is darn near impossible [at Spring Fertility]. And getting results from any tests, answers to any questions, or follow up on paperwork transfers required me to pester and bother the staff far more than I should have had to...Spring is stylish and clean, but communication is difficult at best, and the doctors are hyper focused on getting the patient into IVF as opposed to creating a unique plan that includes patient input.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran was dismissive to my input and did not seem to care about what was happening with my body or why. He just wanted to override everything with IVF. He was difficult to speak with and we had to push and push to get his mind briefly off of the IVF conveyor belt to discuss our bodies. Even then, his evaluation was sub-par compared to the individualized assessment I later received at UCSF.
Be ready to fight for him to listen to you. Remember that the city is full of excellent fertility doctors so you don’t have to stay if you don’t like him.
I felt like a number because Dr. Tran just wanted to push me into IVF and did not want to consider other options. We had to twist his arm to consider anything else. When I tried to get his to pay attention to my short luteal phase, he dismissed it and blew me off. Turns out, that was the most important clue to my infertility, according to my current doctor at another clinic. At Spring, they just wanted to get me on the IVF conveyor belt instead of figuring out what was actually happening with my body.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kaitlyn and Yvette)
I had to pester and beg the coordinator and nurse to get me my results and follow up on my questions. Nothing is simple at Spring, especially basic communication with the care team.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Getting the doctors to perform tests or think about diagnostics beyond IVF is darn near impossible. And getting results from any tests, answers to any questions, or follow up on paperwork transfers required me to pester and bother the staff far more than I should have had to.
San Fran

In order to meet with Dr. Tran, we had to pay $200. He provided us with a 15 minute overview of the IUI process and said that we would be a good candidate for natural IUI. ... After our initial consultation, we never saw him again, nor heard from him in anyway. You are simply a number to Dr. Tran ... He is not warm, or compassionate and does not have any involvement in your treatment plan. It is all handled by Ursula, the RN.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is very nice and new. They have snacks and water, and are always on time. The weaknesses are the level of doctors care and their desire to help patients, and not just make money. The waiting room often smells like smoke. ... Ursula is a good nurse, but she is just as much of a machine as Dr. Tran. She is always on time, but wants to get patients in and out as fast as possible. She doesn't provide you with any analysis of the results. She simply hands you a piece of paper, and expects you to understand them.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I had one of the worst experiences ever at Spring. The only time that I ever saw Dr. Tran was during my initial consultation which he only spent 15 minutes with my husband and me. You are simply a number to Dr. Tran, and he does not customize your plan or treatment in anyway. It is all handled by the nurse, Ursula. None of my ultrasounds or IUI's were performed by Dr. Tran, nor did he ever provide me with any information on any of the results from our previous unsuccessful rounds of IUI. Dr Tran is not compassionate, warm, and thoughtful in his practice of medicine. In addition, my sister in law was identified with stage 4 endometriosis which was not identified or communicated to her in the year that she was under the care of Dr. Tran. Due to our unsatisfactory experience, we have switched from Dr. Tran's care and have received much better, personalized care with new doctors.
Ask how involved he is with his patients and what his level of care of will be for your particular plan.
In order to meet with Dr. Tran, we had to pay $200. He provided us with a 15 minute overview of the IUI process and said that we would be a good candidate for natural IUI. He was concerned about having multiples, so he recommenced natural IUI as I had been pregnant two the times naturally. After our initial consultation, we never saw him again, nor heard from him in anyway. You are simply a number to Dr. Tran, and he is trying to get as many people through the door. He is not warm, or compassionate and does not have any involvement in your treatment plan. It is all handled by Ursula, the RN.
2 rounds of natural IUI as I had 2 successful pregnancies, 1 round of medicated IUI with Clomid. When I went to see my new doctor, she said that my lining was too thin on Clomid and that it would not have likely resulted in a positive pregnancy. Since he was not involved in my care and never reviewed my results, he was not able to make informed decisions and would have recommended another round of Clomid had I not switched doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ursula)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is very nice and new. They have snacks and water, and are always on time. The weaknesses are the level of doctors care and their desire to help patients, and not just make money. The waiting room often smells like smoke.
$850 for each round of natural IUI, $1500 for each round of medicated IUI

2014 - 2018
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Compared to another fertility practice I've worked with, I feel like Dr. Tran understands and empathizes with the person behind the treatment. I think it's why he founded his own practice - to be able to offer a more caring environment to patients who are going through all the trials and tribulations of fertility treatment.... Dr. Tran is very candid about what a patient can expect from treatment based on age and other contributing factors. His approach is kind but verges on being blunt. I actually appreciate it and prefer it to the vague politeness of my former doctor.
2014 - 2018
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I worked with Dr. Tran to conceive my son via IUI when he was at a different practice. It happened on the first try. I remember being impressed with how realistic and almost sober he was about the expected outcome, but how precise he was with my treatment. And it worked - we got pregnant on our first IUI and had a healthy child. Three years later, after several failed IVF cycles at that same practice in an effort to conceive a second child, I learned that Dr. Tran had actually founded his own practice in the city. I switched and began working with him. We are still in progress with the first IVF cycle at Spring, transferring the embryos from my first retrieval. Unfortunately we have had two frozen transfers that have been unsuccessful so far. I do understand that I have egg quality issues due to age that are limiting my chances of success. However, my previous fertility doctor offered no new ideas after each failure and only suggested that we repeat the same thing over and over. I trust Dr. Tran more to guide us through the process, taking into account each setback and adjusting the approach accordingly. He is very precise and seems to pay attention to each small detail of my hormone levels and responses to different medication, more so than my other doctor. Plus I somehow feel like he is more invested in the success of my outcome. I trust him to do the very best for me.
Dr. Tran is very candid about what a patient can expect from treatment based on age and other contributing factors. His approach is kind but verges on being blunt. I actually appreciate it and prefer it to the vague politeness of my former doctor. However I can see how very sensitive patients who may be new to the process could potentially not respond as well.
Compared to another fertility practice I've worked with, I feel like Dr. Tran understands and empathizes with the person behind the treatment. I think it's why he founded his own practice - to be able to offer a more caring environment to patients who are going through all the trials and tribulations of fertility treatment. He's candid about what results I can expect, but I personally find that more caring than a RE who is vague. He always remembers my name and status of treatment, and makes time to call me back personally when I call the on-call doctor line with a question.
In my successful IUI cycle with Dr. Tran, we used Clomid and a trigger shot injection (can't remember which). I remember thinking that the Clomid dose sounded high and questioning it with the nurse, but obviously it was the right dose because it produced a successful outcome. In my current IVF cycle with Dr. Tran, we used Aygestin, Gonal-F, Menopur and Cetrotide with a Novel trigger shot for the retrieval. We did not do a fresh transfer the first time because my progesterone levels were too high for a successful outcome. With the embryos from that retrieval we've done two frozen transfers with a protocol of birth control pills, Lupron and Vivelle patches. Unfortunately neither have been successful. We have one more embryo to transfer to finish out this cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna Stencer / Allie Bell)
Compared to my previous practice I've found the nursing team at Spring to be more compassionate, better communicators and more detail-oriented with the medication orders. I've enjoyed working with them. They seem to enjoy what they do.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I appreciate that Spring really does try to provide a boutique fertility clinic experience that counters the experience of being "just a number" that I had at a larger fertility clinic. The atmosphere is welcoming and feels like a healing environment. I feel calmer there than I did at my previous clinic, and I've felt calmer and more cared for during the procedures. Everyone I've interacted with so far has been nothing but professional. The billing team has been very professional and proactive, giving me a much better sense of the financial commitment of each treatment up-front.
My IVF retrieval was approximately $12,000, and each transfer has been approximately $3750 (with a self-pay discount).
When we were with our former practice, we insisted on transferring one embryo at a time because we want to avoid twins. Dr. Tran on the other hand educated us up-front on the statistical probabilities of different outcomes for me. It helped my husband and I see that due to our ages, transferring single embryos is unlikely to result in a successful outcome. When explained in terms of the statistics, this helped us get more comfortable with transferring several embryos at one time.

5 Eggs Frozen
Tran is not a touchy-feely type, but I still always felt like he was giving me care directed at me, specifically. He is very aware of the extreme fertility hardships faced by me and and my husband (azoospermia), and is sensitive to that and tailors his recommendations to our specific situation.... Dr. Tran is an excellent clinician and scientist. He is well-informed in his craft, careful, and practices strong, evidence-based medicine. I trust him completely to get the best outcome for us, and I feel very secure that I'm getting the best treatment I can from him.
Spring has a lot going for it. Excellent doctors. Top-notch staff. Gorgeous clinics. Maybe the best lab in California, if not the entire west. I trust them with the most important medical care I've ever received in my life, and that is saying something.... My only complaint is that they seem almost too busy. Doctors are often rushed (for example, my doctor didn't have time to come back and check on me for even a second after my egg retrieva
5 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran is an excellent clinician and scientist. He is well-informed in his craft, careful, and practices strong, evidence-based medicine. I trust him completely to get the best outcome for us, and I feel very secure that I'm getting the best treatment I can from him. I also think he is sensitive to patients' resources, and doesn't recommend a lot of extra bells and whistles if he doesn't think they're necessary. That said, he is lukewarm about newer treatments (ERA, HGH) because they don't have as much evidence behind them, and if you're looking for a kitchen-sink approach, he may not give you what you want (or he may only do so after you do some convincing of him yourself). He is not the strongest on bedside manner (which doesn't matter to me), but if you're looking for a warm-and-fuzzy doctor type, you might consider one of the other doctors at the practice. He is also incredibly busy, so don't expect him to spend a ton of time with you. That said, I felt like I got all the time I needed to have good care (just not one second more).
Go in to appointments with a list of questions ready. He will answer them, but you need to be prepared to know what you want out of the visit. I even went into monitoring appointments with a single question on a post-it so I could be ready to ask him as I was getting an ultrasound!
Tran is not a touchy-feely type, but I still always felt like he was giving me care directed at me, specifically. He is very aware of the extreme fertility hardships faced by me and and my husband (azoospermia), and is sensitive to that and tailors his recommendations to our specific situation. He remembered what it is I do for work, my thoughts on my particular diagnosis, and even that I like to see the follicle measurements on the screen after a scan-- small things that make me feel like he cares about me, even if he is very, very, very busy and moving very fast.
Dr. Tran started me with a mid-luteal start antagonist protocol, which he seems to really like, especially for DOR patients. This involves having a baseline 5 days after you ovulate, then you do a standard antagonist protocol (Gonal-F and Menopur, with Cetrotide added 5-7 days in). The rationale behind this protocol, as I understand it, is to catch the antral follicles before they start to develop at the beginning of your next cycle. I had expected results for my biology, and I am using the exact same protocol for my second cycle, but with a controlled start after a short course (10-day) of birth control.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Onjira)
Spring has an excellent nursing staff. They are very communicative, and respond quickly to my calls and emails with the information I need. I sometimes worry they're a little overworked, because I've had a few completely inconsequential errors happen (calling the same birth control prescription into my local pharmacy twice because she forgot she did it the first time). However, anything that was important was handled flawlessly, and it seems like they've been adding staff to deal with demand.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring has a lot going for it. Excellent doctors. Top-notch staff. Gorgeous clinics. Maybe the best lab in California, if not the entire west. I trust them with the most important medical care I've ever received in my life, and that is saying something. They're open seven days a week, and nearly always available (I honestly don't know how they do it!). My only complaint is that they seem almost too busy. Doctors are often rushed (for example, my doctor didn't have time to come back and check on me for even a second after my egg retrieval, which would have been a nice sign of compassion). Occasionally the waiting room is so crowded there is nowhere to sit. Non-urgent appointments can sometimes take a while to schedule. That said, once you're getting treatment from Spring, if you need an appointment, they will make it happen. I just hope they continue to add staff to meet demand, and that they don't take more patients than they can handle.
Egg Cryo Cycle (2018 price) - $8,750; subsequent cycles are 10% off.
Dr. Tran strongly prefers a eSET for me, due to previous surgery on my cervix. He has encouraged us to do PGS testing and to transfer one embryo at a time, when we get there.

Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
he [Dr. Tran] is thorough and empathetic. When both FETs failed (one chemical and one negative) he was understanding but upbeat about our potential to get pregnant eventually...Dr. Tran is extremely experienced and well-respected. However, there are times when I didn't understand the drug protocol or certain choices he made and I felt like I had to really push him or the nurse to explain to me what the drugs were supposed to do, why I was being prescribed certain things, if there were risks or side effects with the drugs or procedures. It's important to be vocal with him in order to get questions answered.
Spring SF is in a convenient location, a nice office building and they've created peaceful space. The front desk staff is considerate and organized. The lab is top notch (based on our retrieval results). All of the doctors I've seen there have been excellent - Dr. M, Dr. Klatsky and Ursula...Allie [nurse] is very responsive on email and phone. She's compassionate, patient with questions and knowledgeable. She seems to be very well-educated and sensitive to both Dr. Tran and his patients.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Come to the appointment with a list of questions, be prepared to push to get your questions answered. He is respectful of questions but can come off as dismissive. This isn't personal, it's just his manner. He believes in evidence and facts, he isn't swayed by hearsay, paramedical advice and naturopathic solutions.
Dr Tran and his team are very attentive, he is thorough and empathetic. When both FETs failed (one chemical and one negative) he was understanding but upbeat about our potential to get pregnant eventually.
Prior to Spring, I had one live birth (10 yr old daughter) and two miscarriages (at approx 6 weeks). Spring put me through the normal regimen of tests and scans which revealed my right tube is blocked from an appendectomy when I was a teenager. Dr Tran's advice was to try IUI first. We did one IUI which resulted in a negative and another IUI was cancelled as I was ovulating on the side that was blocked. My husband and I decided to proceed more aggressively with IVF (I'm 39, he's 42). Our first retrieval was smooth, we got 6 mature eggs, all fertilized and grew to day 6. PGS, returned 3 normal embryos. We had the option to know the gender but decided not to find out. Dr Tran gave me a 70% chance of live birth. We did two FETs with one embryo each (Spring is firmly against transferring more than one Day 5 PGS tested embryo). Understandably, we were very very disappointed when both failed. One negative and one chemical pregnancy. I pressed Dr. Tran for answers. He didn't see any reason to change the FET protocol. I asked for an ERA, but he disagrees with this procedure. He offered to do an endometrium scratch, which I went through with but don't know that it helped much since the second FET also failed. With only one embryo left, we did some research and asked him to do another retrieval and FET at the same time (something they call a Switcheroo - not the medical term). We're currently heading into our second retrieval. He has prescribed Lupron, the Gonal F/Menopur and Omnitrope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allie)
Allie is very responsive on email and phone. She's compassionate, patient with questions and knowledgeable. She seems to be very well-educated and sensitive to both Dr. Tran and his patients.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Retrieval is approximately $17,500 + $5,500 for medication. (Includes PGS testing). FET is approximately $4,500. IUI is approximately $1,500. Saline Ultrasound $950. HSG $900. Endometrium Scratch $300. Office visit $175 (if it's an additional visit)
Dr. Tran was very clear that multiple embryo transfer presents many risks and he'd prefer to only transfer one embryo. We agreed so we didn't ask for more specific information.
San Fran

The first IUI he wasn't available so his collegue performed the IUI, which he was nice, reassuring and careful. I am hoping to see Dr Tran on the next IUI... was very nice on the first visit. It went thoroughly with us on the treatment possibilities and we felt comfortable in proceeding with IUI treatments. He advised us for me to check the Fallopian tubes to check that was not a reason for infertility and also did an ultrasound to check that my uterus was well. The next time I saw him was during the Fallopian test, he was very kind and give me comfort knowing how uncomfortable and painful the test could be.
I had to point out to the clinic coordinator [at Spring Fertility] how I was not feeling care by the nurse I was assigned as she didn't do any follow ups after contacting her couple of times due to my lack of period for 2 months after the first IUI. I asked to get another nurse assigned that could match our needs but they reassured us that in the future she will be more attentive. Dr Tran's Dr assistant , which performs the baseline and follow up ultrasounds was always very nice and attentive.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr Tran was very nice on the first visit. It went thoroughly with us on the treatment possibilities and we felt comfortable in proceeding with IUI treatments. He advised us for me to check the Fallopian tubes to check that was not a reason for infertility and also did an ultrasound to check that my uterus was well. The next time I saw him was during the Fallopian test, he was very kind and give me comfort knowing how uncomfortable and painful the test could be. The first IUI he wasn't available so his collegue performed the IUI, which he was nice, reassuring and careful. I am hoping to see Dr Tran on the next IUI.
Dr Tran was knowledgeable and honest on what to expect from the treatments and very nice to start with. However, if things go wrong as it happens to us, it seems like they have more patients than doctors in the clinic, so their follow up protocols lack in attention, so you have to make sure to follow up when you feel you need answers. Be prepared for the journey to be emotionally draining and don't expect emotional support from Spring.
After our first IUI I didn't get my period for 2 months. I contacted the nurse that was assigned to me from Dr Tran's team at the time to let her know from the beginning that there was something wrong, but there was never a follow up from the nurse or doctor even afterwards after the IUI. After 2 months of us following up and asking what was wrong with us, we had to suggest for them to do test as I was very regular in my periods before the IUI. Then I had to let them know how disappointed and frustrated we were as as went to that clinic specifically as they advertise how they treat patients like human and we felt over the 2 month period. No follow up from Dr Tran or his team was done and we didn't hear from them unless we contacted them. They apologized and promised to be put more attention and follow closely our progress, that is why we decided to carry on with them.
IUI with Clomid. He decided to do IUI vs IVF as he thought it was a good point to start based on our history and the results from the blood and sperm test they run. The IUI was negative and I had a cyst , they told me that Clomid could produce cysts. I also didn't get my period for 2 months. I am in the middle of my 2nd IUI with Letrozole , which I suggested myself as to use something different from Clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
I had to point out to the clinic coordinator how I was not feeling care by the nurse I was assigned as she didn't do any follow ups after contacting her couple of times due to my lack of period for 2 months after the first IUI. I asked to get another nurse assigned that could match our needs but they reassured us that in the future she will be more attentive. Dr Tran's Dr assistant , which performs the baseline and follow up ultrasounds was always very nice and attentive.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: modern and very nice and clean facility . No waiting time they call you in very soon after arrival. Weakness: you have to deal with many people so it gets confusing. You only see Dr Tran on the initial visit and then the rest is managed by coordinators, nurses and doctor assistans so if you are a person that like personal treatment this may not be the best place.
Initial Consultation $560 Blood test /Sperm $100 (with Insurance) Genetic test $1000 IUI $600/IUI Ultrasound $400/ ultrasound

10 Eggs Frozen
I felt that he [Dr. Nam Tran] had a strong work ethic, an empathy, and a consideration for others...From our initial appointment forward, I was struck by Dr Tran’s humility. He seemed to genuinely care and I felt like he was not motivated by money, but actually respectful of my limited finances...I am not in a relationship but I want to preserve my fertility for the chance to have a biological child with someone down the road. I was upfront with Dr Tran about my expectations, which are low due to my age. He was honest without being patronizing (as I’d maybe expected?) and he was even optimistic given my healthy prior AMA pregnancy. It should be mentioned that spring’s financing plan is what drew me to the clinic; but once there and after meeting Dr Tran I was very confident I was at the right place.
I liked the clinic [Spring Fertility] because its surgery center is state of the art. It’s waiting room and reception are comfortable and thoughtful without being over-the-top...Dr Tran did a mid-luteal retrieval— I began injections midway into my cycle, so my body was in a suspended state of ovulation when he did the retrieval. As I understand it, this is a new protocol that was previously used in extreme cases (I.e., cancer patients) but has had great results. We did, in fact, get good numbers (10 mature eggs retrieved).
10 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I sought to do one round of egg retrieval/ cryopreservatuon because my insurance doesn’t cover and it is all I can afford. I am 41 years old and have one child who is 1 years old. I am not in a relationship but I want to preserve my fertility for the chance to have a biological child with someone down the road. I was upfront with Dr Tran about my expectations, which are low due to my age. He was honest without being patronizing (as I’d maybe expected?) and he was even optimistic given my healthy prior AMA pregnancy. It should be mentioned that spring’s financing plan is what drew me to the clinic; but once there and after meeting Dr Tran I was very confident I was at the right place.
I think his bedside manner speaks for itself. He is approachable and kind.
From our initial appointment forward, I was struck by Dr Tran’s humility. He seemed to genuinely care and I felt like he was not motivated by money, but actually respectful of my limited finances. I’m not certain of his background (I had been referred by a friend; I only knew he was a great doctor) but I felt that he had a strong work ethic, an empathy, and a consideration for others that I don’t typically associate with doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna Stencer )
There was a cadre of nurses— I saw a different one each time I camein for blood draws and ultrasounds. Still, I got the impression they all knew my chart and worked in concert. There were only two instances of disconnect/ miscommunication. It was mostly in the phone process. If I needed to call in to make an allotment change, or with a question, I was routed through a tortuous phone system of extensions. In one instance my voicemail message for a changed appointment was never received. Sometimes you just need a live person to pick up the phone— particularly if it’s during business hours. Emails fairedbetter, and I generally received a response within 12 hours of my request.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I liked the clinic because its surgery center is state of the art. It’s waiting room and reception are comfortable and thoughtful without being over-the-top. In a previous clinic, a recent lobby renovation and the building itself - on the waterfront with sweeping views of the San Francisco Bay - was beautiful but made me feel as if my check was helping to fund their real estate rather than my service.
$15k over three years. Financing plan with 0%apr including freezing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Covered in previous question.
San Fran

He takes the time to check in and see how we're doing at every appointment. He doesn't EVER seem rushed to move on to another client. He is funny yet also takes the time to explain everything to us...Dr. Tran is a big believer in "less is more". We had a low dose of Menopur and Gonal-f for our stim cycle. ...He just sits back and listens when he needs to and asks probing questions when necessary. When our transfer didn't work, he called to check in and was sympathetic to our needs at that time.
European, Latino
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
With my other healthcare professionals, I call him my favorite nerd. He goes into so much detail if you ask questions and explains everything we want to know. He gets excited about how the numbers progress and even has little jokes about what is going on. I really appreciate his approach and expertise in the area. From our first meeting, I knew he was the right doctor for us. He is so knowledgeable and easy to talk to. There aren't many doctors that we interviewed that make you feel comfortable in an IVF clinic. Dr. Tran does that. He just sits back and listens when he needs to and asks probing questions when necessary. When our transfer didn't work, he called to check in and was sympathetic to our needs at that time. He took the time on a Friday night to explain what our next choices were and what we could do vs. what he suggests we do. I feel very well taken care of with Dr. Tran.
Be honest with him. He will, without a second thought, tell you what he thinks. I really appreciate his honesty.
Dr. Tran is a big believer in "less is more". We had a low dose of Menopur and Gonal-f for our stim cycle. He worked with my teaching schedule to plan our retrieval during my Christmas break. I felt less sick during my IVF cycle than I did on some of my IUI cycles. He would rather get 10 really great mature eggs and have all of them make it to freeze than 20 eggs, and an uncomfortable, broke patient, with similar results. We had a little set back when we began our cycle, I had two cysts and he immediately said it would impact our numbers and he was right. We were originally expecting 14-16 at retrieval. He explained to me how the cysts would impact the cycle and asked me how I would like to proceed. I always let him make the decisions as he's the expert we want to control our cycle. He went along with our cycle and we had 12 follicles, 10 mature, 8 fertilized-freeze. We transferred one at day 5. We still have 7 frozen and are going through a "natural" transfer cycle again on my timelines for spring break. He's amazing!
Although I've only met Allie once at a difficult blood draw day, she was amazing and helpful then and every time I email/call. The rest of the nursing team, especially Susannah (she's who I see most of the mornings), is amazing! They're all there to support you and have a smile on their faces. They reassure you that everything's okay and help you understand when things are not.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring has such a great team. They are great at patient support when you're there with them. It has been tough to get ahold of the finance department when we need support, but eventually, we get in touch with them and they're amazing and give you all the information you need. We especially love the transparency of the pricing. There are clear costs up front that allow you to budget and make decisions based on your health and your financial situation up front without having to think about the extra costs that might come up. If we had any recommendations around that it would be to get the med package. It was fantastic to not have to think about how much each vial cost, and when we needed more they supported that process even when the vial costs went up during our cycle.
$14,500 for IVF then a $1000 teacher discount. They handled our medication package which was $3700 since I respond well to meds through Alto so it gets delivered same day. Our current FET costs $3250 with a discount because our previous failed fresh transfer.
San Fran

Dr Tran is one of the most brilliant doctors I have ever met. He is truly gifted in his area of care. I have several other friends who have seen him and none of us have had the same protocol, yet we have all been successful with him! He is up to date on all the latest advances, and truly treats every patient as an individual. He really assesses each persons situation and comes up with the best protocol to suit them. I always felt that he really cared about me.
The entire office [Spring ] treated me so well from the front office, the medical staff, the doctors, and the nurses. You never ever feel like you’re just a number. I really felt like they cared so much about me. They always did everything they could to accommodate me. I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment, even when I was super early....Allie is such a wonderful and kind nurse. On top of that, she is super competent and organized. I really felt that she cared about me. She is on top of everything and is really great at communication.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
He’s super direct, and you should appreciate that about him. He always gives it to you straight. Also, be super straight with him too.
The entire office treated me so well from the front office, the medical staff, the doctors, and the nurses. You never ever feel like you’re just a number. I really felt like they cared so much about me. They always did everything they could to accommodate me. I never waited more than 5 minutes for an appointment, even when I was super early.
We did a straight start with no priming or any kind. For a dor patient like me, he didn’t think priming was necessary, and he was right! I did a cycle at a different clinic with estrogen priming and max meds, and only got 2 embryos. With dr tran, he started me off with medium doses of follistim and menopur, and slowly reduced them as the cycle went on. I ended up with 9 eggs, but got 7 High quality blastocysts!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allie Bell )
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I echo all the other reviewers’ sentiments. This place really is like a spa. It’s beautiful, tranquil, and truly up to date on all the latest equipment. I really cannot think of anything negative to say. They’re also open 365 days a year and always available. I trust spring fertility 100%. I’ve referred other friends here as well, and they all end up loving Spring just as much as I do.
Honestly, I still haven’t received my final bill yet.
Dr Tran strongly suggested single embryo transfers, which we agreed was he best option. However, I ended up having 3 failed embryo transfers. I sought immune treatment and also requested to have 2 embryos transferred for my 4th transfer. Although Dr tran still advised us to do a single, he listened to us and went with our decision to do 2. We wanted to do 2 because of the cost and chance of higher success.

2014 - 2017
IVF, Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
Dr. Tran is a wonderful person. I always felt like he remembered everything about my case and was very reassuring.. Dr. Tran has tried to help me over the years with my intrauterine scarring issue (Asherman's Syndrome) and my resulting abnormally thin lining issue. He is very pro estrogen therapy...... I AGAIN went back to see Dr. Tran for yet another hysteroscopy because I love and trust him so much...He has also consulted with me over email and the phone about my thin uterine lining issues and saw me for an emergency ultrasound
the clinic [Spring Fertility] felt like a spa and everyone is really nice and respectful and I did not feel like I was in a fertility factory....Everyone at Spring Fertility...is wonderful. Seriously. It feels like a spa. Everyone is so nice and respectful.... He [Dr. Tran] is my gold standard of doctoring. His office sent our family a holiday card...Dr. Tran is a wonderful person. I always felt like he remembered everything about my case and was very reassuring...
2014 - 2017
IVF, Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I first saw Dr. Tran when he was still practicing at UCSF and I was living in San Francisco. I went in to ask him if I had a fertility issue because I had had two miscarriages and was having very light periods. He assured me that I did not have recurrent pregnancy loss and that I had a lot of follicles so didn't have to worry about timing yet. I was subsequently diagnosed by another doctor in Dallas (where I moved to next) with Asherman's Syndrome (intrauterine scarring caused by a D&C after my first miscarriage). I flew back to San Francisco twice to have Dr. Tran perform hysteroscopies to remove the scarring. After I had my first child and was again diagnosed with Asherman's Syndrome (possibly recurring from a c-section or never fully resolved) and was living in DC at the time, I AGAIN went back to see Dr. Tran for yet another hysteroscopy because I love and trust him so much. I sometimes still wish I lived in San Francisco so I could go see him. He has also consulted with me over email and the phone about my thin uterine lining issues and saw me for an emergency ultrasound when I happened to be in San Francisco during my pregnancy and was having a lot of bleeding. He is my gold standard of doctoring. His office sent our family a holiday card and I put it up on my fridge because I like looking at him. He provided hope to me when a doctor in Dallas told me there was nothing he could do for me and I needed a gestational carrier (in a twist of fate, I am now pursuing the gestational carrier route for a second child!). I really cannot say enough good things about Dr. Tran.
If you don't understand what Dr. Tran is saying, ask him to repeat it or write it down. He actually made me a really cool diagram of what was going on once and I kept it for a long time. He's very patient so don't feel like you can't ask your questions.
Dr. Tran is a wonderful person. I always felt like he remembered everything about my case and was very reassuring. He wrote personal emails to me right away and also was always available to talk. He is very good at being optimistic while also discussing risks and downsides. He gives wonderful patient-initiated hugs.
I think I covered this previously. Dr. Tran has tried to help me over the years with my intrauterine scarring issues (Asherman's Syndrome) and my resulting abnormally thin lining issue. He performed three of the six total hysteroscopies that I have had to date. After the first three hysteroscopies (one from a doctor in Dallas and two from Dr. Tran), I actually conceived my first child (using a protocol set in place by another doctor). Dr. Tran was the doctor who said my lining looked good enough to try getting pregnant again and he was right because I did get pregnant on my first try using injectables and timed intercourse. For baby number two, I am pursuing a gestational carrier because after three more hysteroscopies (one of which was performed by Dr. Tran and two of which were performed by a doctor in New York) and two failed FETs, I am worn out by the whole process and my lining is both abnormally thin and fluid filled - both things that are hard to treat. Plus there are a number of other risk factors from the first pregnancy. In short, results are mixed because I had a successful pregnancy after two hysteroscopies plus estrogen therapy under Dr. Tran's care, BUT I am now pursuing a gestational carrier because I don't think anyone, including Dr. Tran, is able to fix my lining this time.
Everyone at Spring Fertility (and UCSF when Dr. Tran was there) is wonderful. Seriously. It feels like a spa. Everyone is so nice and respectful.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I was a "weird" patient who was traveling from out of state and not going in for routine things like bloodwork and ultrasounds. As I mentioned, the clinic felt like a spa and everyone is really nice and respectful. Can't think of any weaknesses.
Most of my treatments with Dr. Tran were medical treatments covered by my insurance (as opposed to fertility treatments that are often capped or excluded). So the costs were not a big deal. I think my first two hysteroscopies with Dr. Tran were totally covered. My third one was out of network and I think I paid $1,000 for it.
I didn't see Dr. Tran for this issue, but I can tell you that he is pro eSET. My successful pregnancy was a triplet pregnancy resulting from taking injectables plus doing timed intercourse. It was a dichorionic triamniotic triplet pregnancy (identical twins sharing a placenta and a singleton) and Dr. Tran very strongly counseled me to have a multi-fetal pregnancy reduction of the identical twins due to the risks of multiples and particularly multiples in this configuration. So I cannot imagine him promoting multiples! Obviously these questions depend on age and quality of the embryos, but I'm pretty sure he would encourage singletons.