U. of Iowa

Redwood City, CA 94063
Sunnyvale
550 Lakeside Dr
Sunnyvale, CA 94085

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.

Treated 2017 - 2019
If a doctor with a really good bedside manner is important to you, chose one of the other doctors at this clinic. Dr. Tran can be a little "cold", but that was not something that bothered me...I trusted that he was well educated and believe that he made decision in our treatment that he thought would result in the best outcome. I felt that he set our expectations for success once we moved on to IVF too high. Sometimes I would have to push him to make changes to my course of treatment after multiple failures because he did not believe changes were needed. I'm not a fan doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.
Appointments were almost always on time [at Spring Fertility] which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss...Most of the nursing staff seemed to really care about the outcome of my treatment and showed a lot of empathy when things didn't work out. The front desk staff always greeted me by name...There were two miscommunications in the first 6 months of treatment that had me questioning whether I should continue treatment at this clinic, but after that everything was good. On our first IUI cycle, no one told us that my husband needed certain bloodwork before the IUI and they ended up having to push my IUI back a few days to give time to get his results back. There was another time when I was supposed to take a medication that noone told me about. I received a text reminder to take the medicine and that is how I found out about it and had to ask for a prescription. After we moved on to IVF, the communication was great and we didn't have any problems. The staff were always very responsive to questions over phone and email.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laurel)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Appointments were almost always on time which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss. I was told by my Gyn that this clinic was the best choice if you are looking for the most cutting edge fertility treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.
IUI cycle - $1,500 plus cost of meds IVF retrieval + PGS - $17,500 plus cost of meds Frozene Embryo Transfer - $4,500 plus cost of meds
Describe Nam Tran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran was very adamant about not transferring more than one embryo.
What specific things went wrong at Spring Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Issues were described under the nursing staff section
San Francisco

We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. ... Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). ... He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics. ... So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
As we have only seen Dr. Tran for a consultation, I cannot speak to his care going through the IVF process. However, just based on our consultation, I know we have made the right choice. We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. Of course, things can change as you go through the cycle, and we are not quite there yet. Dr. Tran is after eggs of great quality that will create embryos of great quality. He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I would say to have your questions ready, and know that he speaks very scientifically. I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics.
Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). He was very sensitive because of the loss we've experienced, and although I did not feel like he treated us like a number, it was staggering to learn all the statistics and to think of IVF in a very systematic way like that. He knows what he is talking about, and fully acknowledges that there are anomalies or "lucky" situations that can occur, no matter what the numbers suggest. I appreciated his honesty.
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
As we have not done a cycle yet (most likely will start in June), I can only speak to the protocol we have been given. I was so elated to learn that I will not take birth control to start my cycle, but will begin injections about 3-6 days after ovulation of the cycle before egg retrieval. I am to call on first day of my period, go in for an ultrasound, and then return once I have a positive ovulation test for another ultra sound. From there, my treatment protocol will be personalized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chicas)
So far I have worked with Michelle, my care coordinator. I have had a few questions for her, and had to get her some info regarding previous testing I have done, and she has been so easy to work with. She communicates easily, responds quickly, and is readily available. She sets my mind at ease every time I talk to her.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
So far the clinic is awesome. So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately. I was surprised that they had 80's music in the waiting room. The receptionist at the front said that Dr. Tran likes to keep it fun. It was a little odd to have an ultrasound with an antral follicle count being done with Whitney Houston playing in the background, but hey, I kind of liked it!
Our consultation was paid for by insurance as we have some infertility coverage. I believe the appointment was around $400, plus additional lab fees for blood work. We received our workup for our IVF treatment, and it's around $18,000 for monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, taking sample of cells for PSG and sending them off. Meds are estimated to be an additional $4000 and then the FET is estimated to be another $3500-5000. This does not include the actual cost of the genetic testing. I think that is another $3000-5000.
Dr. Tran's approach is single embryo transfer as often as possible. He did not mention multiple embryo transfer, so I'm sure if he does it, it's on a case by case basis. As someone who has lost twins, I appreciate that our transfer will be a single one.

Treated 2018 - 2019
Both Dr. Tran and his staff [Spring Fertility] has been very responsive and informative with all of my questions....Dr. Tran Is very knowledgeable, informative and caring. I have been through 2 cycles with with Dr. Tran but I unfortunately both had negative results but he has guided me along the way and has answered every question I’ve had.
The one thing I love most about this clinic [Spring Fertility] is the connivence. They have multiple offices across the Bay Area and I’ve been able to go to one just a few minutes from my job which has been extremely helpful considering there are a ton of appointments. The only time I would have to go to the main clinic is for the big procedures which I don’t mind.... My Nurse has been very helpful and informative. Most of my questions are usually answered within a couple of hours. She’s very knowledgeable and knows my next steps.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Come prepared with your questions and make sure you’re comfortable with Dr. Tran and the clinic.
Both Dr. Tran and his staff has been very responsive and informative with all of my questions.
Sorry, I don’t remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: My Lee)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The one thing I love most about this clinic is the connivence. They have multiple offices across the Bay Area and I’ve been able to go to one just a few minutes from my job which has been extremely helpful considering there are a ton of appointments. The only time I would have to go to the main clinic is for the big procedures which I don’t mind.
Each round is roughly around 10,000.00 (not including medication)
Treated 2013 - 2016
Review of
He's [Dr Nam Tran] very matter of fact. I liked his straightforward nature, but if you are looking for someone to hold your hand, he's not it...Honest, direct feedback and recommendations. Acknowledging both the physical and emotional sides of the equation.
Twice an IUI Cycle was cancelled [at UCSF] due to missing my ovulation. I would have expected them to chedule check-ins earlier so that it wouldn't happen. Now, I am more forceful about scheduling my appointments early...Patient navigators are great. New facility at Mission Bay is beautiful and parking is easy. You will interact with a lot of different caregivers.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at UCSF?
He's very matter of fact. I liked his straightforward nature, but if you are looking for someone to hold your hand, he's not it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at UCSF?
Describe your experience with UCSF.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Twice an IUI Cycle was cancelled due to missing my ovulation. I would have expected them to chedule check-ins earlier so that it wouldn't happen. Now, I am more forceful about scheduling my appointments early.
Review of

Success w/ Doc 19 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Nam Tran felt very professional and trustworthy, I felt comfortable going over facts and getting straight answers from him. I felt comfortable with him during the egg retrieval surgery, and afterwards, and things went as expected during my egg retrieval. ... my nurse [Spring Fertility] and Dr. didn't communicate with me about their recommendation that I discontinue birth control several months previous to egg retrieval. I had checked in a previous communication whether I should discontinue, but was reassured it would be alright. When I checked back in a few months later when the procedure would fit with my schedule, they told me to wait several months to get off of birth control before they would recommend me to begin treatments
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is clean, comfortable, and professional, each interaction I had went well and felt good. It would have been nice to know how many doctors/nurses I would interact with throughout the process, before we started off it felt a bit like a whirlwind of people and processes. ... Each nurse, care coordinator and staff member was quite good at their part of the process. It's just that there were so many of them, and different ones at different points along the process! This put me on edge because I felt like information could easily be forgotten along the way, and not passed down to the next person.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I don't think I have anything that would be particularly useful I'm afraid! I was quite satisfied with Dr. Nam Tran
Whether I felt like a number or human was different at different points in my treatment. I rarely had the same doctor at my monitoring appointments for example, and it was difficult to know whether these doctors and nurses were speaking to one another behind the scenes. I thought each doctor individually had great bedside manner, but the communications felt quite disjointed, which made me feel a bit like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is clean, comfortable, and professional, each interaction I had went well and felt good. It would have been nice to know how many doctors/nurses I would interact with throughout the process, before we started off it felt a bit like a whirlwind of people and processes.
$8500 for egg retrieval
What specific things went wrong at Spring Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
my nurse and Dr. didn't communicate with me about their recommendation that I discontinue birth control several months previous to egg retrieval. I had checked in a previous communication whether I should discontinue, but was reassured it would be alright. When I checked back in a few months later when the procedure would fit with my schedule, they told me to wait several months to get off of birth control before they would recommend me to begin treatments