6.9

Redwood City, CA 94063
Sunnyvale
550 Lakeside Dr
Sunnyvale, CA 94085

I like that Dr. Tran answers questions candidly. He never "sugar coats." I personally am data driven and prefer facts over feelings, especially in my situation (diminished ovarian reserve at 30 yrs old), so I prefer his approach. He's kind but not warm which is fine with me considering he's supposed to be my doctor, not my friend...[eSET approach] I am doing day 3 embryos because I have so few so we will be transferring 2.
my primary nurse [at Spring Fertility] she's been amazing throughout my treatment (I've been with them for almost 4 months now). She responds thoroughly to all my questions and is also generally kind...[check insurance]Apparently, insurance contracted rates are different then self pay rates. For example, paying for my medication through insurance would have cost $9000 against my lifetime max of $20k (for ONE cycle). That doesn't even count the procedure or monitoring appts. Self pay was only $1600
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I like Dr. Tran because he seems very knowledgeable and data driven. I only have one complaint which is that he does not seem able to give recommendations on specific treatment protocols. I have very very low amh for my age, and at the beginning of my treatment, I didn't know if I should be trying to do multiple retrievals to get more eggs before trying a transfer. I asked what people in my situation normally do and he seemed hesitant to provide any detail and a comparison point for me. In addition, I've done 3 min stim cycles (oral medication + injections), the first two with clomid and the 3rd with letrizole because I wanted to do a fresh transfer with the last one. The first two went very well. The last failed in that my follicles did not grow. Although it's a small sample size, I would think we should want to go back to clomid and then try a FET. He wasn't able to provide much guidance for me. In that situation, I would have wanted advice. However, I think for liability reasons, they cannot "recommend" particular treatments protocols or fresh/frozen transfers so I'm not sure if this is something I can truly fault him for.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Be sure that you want a more scientific doctor as opposed to a warm and friendly doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
I've done three retrievals with Dr Tran. All three were min-stim cycles meaning 5 days with clomid or letrizole and then another 4-8 days with gonal f and menopur (150 units gonal f, 75 menopur). The first went very well- clomid seemed to work well for me and from an initial scan where only 2-4 follicles were visible, I had 6 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 1 almost mature=3 frozen day 3 embryos; 2 ok quality, 1 good quality. That took 11 days total until trigger; 5 days of clomid and 6 days of stims. The 2nd cycle similar thing happened- I had EIGHT follicles as of day 8 of the cycle! But unfortunately at retrieval, the doctor said 2 follicles on the left prematurely ovulated and they couldn't retrieve them. So we only retrieved 5 eggs, only 3 mature and 1 almost mature. Crazy enough, the 1 that was almost mature did mature and ended up becoming a Morula (stage between day 3 and blastocyst) and I had one other good quality day 3 embryo (both frozen). That took 9 days total until trigger, 5 of clomid, 4 days stims. The 3rd was a disaster. I decided I wanted to try and fresh transfer so we switched to letrizole for the first 5 days. At day 5, I had a measly 3 follicles, one at 10mm, the other two small. Day 8, had more 6, but the largest one had only grown one mm. Day 11, I had 8 follicles but the biggest ones weren't growing. He made me go for another 3 days so in total, I did 5 days on letrizole and NINE days on stims. We ended up cancelling which I was happy about and to be honest, I was a little frustrated that they let me go that long bc it ended up doubling the cost of my medication that cycle. After that, I knew logically I should go back to using clomid. So am going to do a 4th cycle, freeze only, and then do a FET after that. Dr Tran didn't necessarily push me that way but to me, it seemed obvious (even if the sample size was small).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jillian)
Jill was my primary nurse and she's been amazing throughout my treatment (I've been with them for almost 4 months now). She responds thoroughly to all my questions and is also generally kind.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring's facilities are clean and updated. The doctors, nurses, and receptionists were all lovely. However, Spring's billing department was frustrating to work with. The kind of insurance I have is a lifetime max. Meaning that once I've used up $20k, they won't cover anything else and we will have to pay everything out of pocket. It was very unclear what would be applied against my lifetime max. Apparently, insurance contracted rates are different then self pay rates. For example, paying for my medication through insurance would have cost $9000 against my lifetime max of $20k (for ONE cycle). That doesn't even count the procedure or monitoring appts. Self pay was only $1600! Would have been great for the billing department to have presented these options to me upfront and show how everything is broken down. The only thing they gave me upfront was a piece of paper that showed total self pay for my cycle with nothing itemized.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.
First cycle cost $13,049, 2nd cost $13,165, third cost $4,854 (was just medication and monitoring appts because it was cancelled). The first two costs are generally related to contracted rates between my insurance and Spring. A portion of that is out of pocket related to medication or certain procedures that are out of network. I expect the fourth cycle to be around $13k total.
Describe Nam Tran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
No comments. I am doing day 3 embryos because I have so few so we will be transferring 2.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Only one time did I confirm a day three baseline appointment over email with my coordinator and she forgot to schedule it. She told me I never responded but I can see via email I did. She quickly found another appointment for me though so it wasn't a big deal.
San Francisco
Dr. Tran is highly skilled, and extremely involved/immersed in what's going on. He's laser focused on delivering results, and for that reason he's crazy busy. Make the most of your time with him and other doctors by having list of questions ready before every appointment, and get questions answered during your appointment. With regards to treatment, he can be stubborn about his viewpoint/methods. But as long as you can show him that you respect his expertise, stay relax and talk through your concerns, he is open to compromise and/or break from the normal protocol.
[Spring Fertility offered a] Package deal for 3 retreivals and 1 FET...The retrievals: 1st: 9 eggs/5 embryos 2nd: 14 eggs/5 embryos 3rd: 21 eggs/ 10 embryos * all embryos are day 3...Time is always very tight, albeit efficient, at Spring. You always feel that they are trying to get through as many people as possible, all the while staying on schedule. I was aware of this prior to starting treatment, but it was still tough to deal with and get used to
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
As others have mentioned, Dr. Trans communication style is to keep things very short and to the point. Usually, I prefer this style, but through the confusing and daunting IVF process, Dr. Trans explanations are a bit too fast and simplistic for me. The lack of detail/explanation causes confusion, and makes me feel that he's ready to rush on to the next patient.
The clinic is super efficient, almost too much so. The nurses and coordinator would respond right away for any critical or appointment related questions. However, when it comes to questions requiring more detailed explanation, I've had them completely ignore my emails (waiting over 4days), until I called them directly about the question. Also, any questions for doctors outside of appointments go thru nurses. So they either end up answering them or you have to wait to get them to forward the question to the doctor. Outside of a scheduled appointment, I've never had the doctor respond directly via email or phone call to a question. This has caused frustration since many times I had questions where the nurses did not understand the nuance of what I was asking. Finally, their financing team has been terrible-- poor and confusing explanations of costs, and slow to respond.
3 retrievals followed by FET. Drugs: GonalF and menopur, Cetrotide, Leuprolide, and novarel. The retrievals: 1st: 9 eggs/5 embryos 2nd: 14 eggs/5 embryos 3rd: 21 eggs/ 10 embryos * all embryos are day 3
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The experience at Spring is very much in sync with the characteristics of its key founder --Dr. Nam Tran. Dr. Tran is highly skilled, and extremely involved/immersed in what's going on. Because of this, the clinic is in very high demand. The upside, is that you can feel confident that the Dr. Tran knows what he's doing and, to the best of his abilities, can deliver results. The down side of being a patient at Spring is sharing this high caliber group with lots of other folks. The clinic is growing, and there are bumps, and still lots of learning on their part. Time is always very tight, albeit efficient, at Spring. You always feel that they are trying to get through as many people as possible, all the while staying on schedule. I was aware of this prior to starting treatment, but it was still tough to deal with and get used to. Though, at times when I thought no was paying attention or didn't expect any response, key management of the team or Dr. Tran himself would get back to me on treatment (even while on extended vacation), or fixed problems right away (financial, staffing issues, etc). Being aware of this is important for anyone considering treatment at Spring. Be patient with their growth, and clearly express issues, via email or with directly with staff. They do address issues right away.
Package deal for 3 retreivals and 1 FET.
Due to my age and likely poor egg quality, Dr. Tran advises transferring multiple eggs (ie 5+ per transfer).
San Francisco

We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. ... Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). ... He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics. ... So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
As we have only seen Dr. Tran for a consultation, I cannot speak to his care going through the IVF process. However, just based on our consultation, I know we have made the right choice. We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. Of course, things can change as you go through the cycle, and we are not quite there yet. Dr. Tran is after eggs of great quality that will create embryos of great quality. He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I would say to have your questions ready, and know that he speaks very scientifically. I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics.
Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). He was very sensitive because of the loss we've experienced, and although I did not feel like he treated us like a number, it was staggering to learn all the statistics and to think of IVF in a very systematic way like that. He knows what he is talking about, and fully acknowledges that there are anomalies or "lucky" situations that can occur, no matter what the numbers suggest. I appreciated his honesty.
As we have not done a cycle yet (most likely will start in June), I can only speak to the protocol we have been given. I was so elated to learn that I will not take birth control to start my cycle, but will begin injections about 3-6 days after ovulation of the cycle before egg retrieval. I am to call on first day of my period, go in for an ultrasound, and then return once I have a positive ovulation test for another ultra sound. From there, my treatment protocol will be personalized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chicas)
So far I have worked with Michelle, my care coordinator. I have had a few questions for her, and had to get her some info regarding previous testing I have done, and she has been so easy to work with. She communicates easily, responds quickly, and is readily available. She sets my mind at ease every time I talk to her.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
So far the clinic is awesome. So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately. I was surprised that they had 80's music in the waiting room. The receptionist at the front said that Dr. Tran likes to keep it fun. It was a little odd to have an ultrasound with an antral follicle count being done with Whitney Houston playing in the background, but hey, I kind of liked it!
Our consultation was paid for by insurance as we have some infertility coverage. I believe the appointment was around $400, plus additional lab fees for blood work. We received our workup for our IVF treatment, and it's around $18,000 for monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, taking sample of cells for PSG and sending them off. Meds are estimated to be an additional $4000 and then the FET is estimated to be another $3500-5000. This does not include the actual cost of the genetic testing. I think that is another $3000-5000.
Dr. Tran's approach is single embryo transfer as often as possible. He did not mention multiple embryo transfer, so I'm sure if he does it, it's on a case by case basis. As someone who has lost twins, I appreciate that our transfer will be a single one.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
If a doctor with a really good bedside manner is important to you, chose one of the other doctors at this clinic. Dr. Tran can be a little "cold", but that was not something that bothered me...I trusted that he was well educated and believe that he made decision in our treatment that he thought would result in the best outcome. I felt that he set our expectations for success once we moved on to IVF too high. Sometimes I would have to push him to make changes to my course of treatment after multiple failures because he did not believe changes were needed. I'm not a fan doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.
Appointments were almost always on time [at Spring Fertility] which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss...Most of the nursing staff seemed to really care about the outcome of my treatment and showed a lot of empathy when things didn't work out. The front desk staff always greeted me by name...There were two miscommunications in the first 6 months of treatment that had me questioning whether I should continue treatment at this clinic, but after that everything was good. On our first IUI cycle, no one told us that my husband needed certain bloodwork before the IUI and they ended up having to push my IUI back a few days to give time to get his results back. There was another time when I was supposed to take a medication that noone told me about. I received a text reminder to take the medicine and that is how I found out about it and had to ask for a prescription. After we moved on to IVF, the communication was great and we didn't have any problems. The staff were always very responsive to questions over phone and email.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laurel)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Appointments were almost always on time which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss. I was told by my Gyn that this clinic was the best choice if you are looking for the most cutting edge fertility treatment.
IUI cycle - $1,500 plus cost of meds IVF retrieval + PGS - $17,500 plus cost of meds Frozene Embryo Transfer - $4,500 plus cost of meds
Dr. Tran was very adamant about not transferring more than one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Issues were described under the nursing staff section
San Francisco

Both Dr. Tran and his staff [Spring Fertility] has been very responsive and informative with all of my questions....Dr. Tran Is very knowledgeable, informative and caring. I have been through 2 cycles with with Dr. Tran but I unfortunately both had negative results but he has guided me along the way and has answered every question I’ve had.
The one thing I love most about this clinic [Spring Fertility] is the connivence. They have multiple offices across the Bay Area and I’ve been able to go to one just a few minutes from my job which has been extremely helpful considering there are a ton of appointments. The only time I would have to go to the main clinic is for the big procedures which I don’t mind.... My Nurse has been very helpful and informative. Most of my questions are usually answered within a couple of hours. She’s very knowledgeable and knows my next steps.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Come prepared with your questions and make sure you’re comfortable with Dr. Tran and the clinic.
Both Dr. Tran and his staff has been very responsive and informative with all of my questions.
Sorry, I don’t remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: My Lee)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The one thing I love most about this clinic is the connivence. They have multiple offices across the Bay Area and I’ve been able to go to one just a few minutes from my job which has been extremely helpful considering there are a ton of appointments. The only time I would have to go to the main clinic is for the big procedures which I don’t mind.
Each round is roughly around 10,000.00 (not including medication)

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
I think he’s [Dr. Nam Tran] very smart and hope we’ll eventually get good results. We see him so infrequently and even when I request to speak with him, I get an email from his care team instead. So it’s hard to assess. He knows the statistics and is honest with you. He is very focused on the facts...I feel like one of many patients...I had 3 medicated IUI cycles with clomid. None led to a pregnancy
I’ve had some scheduling issues [at Spring Fertility] (needing time change appointments after they were scheduled, having a different provider than scheduled with). I think Dr. Tran can deliver the results. I feel like one of many patients. I sometimes feel like I really have to advocate for myself and ask the care team a lot of questions. I was given an IVF protocol, but no information on why that protocol was selected.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I think he’s very smart and hope we’ll eventually get good results. We see him so infrequently and even when I request to speak with him, I get an email from his care team instead. So it’s hard to assess. He knows the statistics and is honest with you. He is very focused on the facts.
It’s been a bit challenging to get answers or speak to Dr. Tran. I Often speak with a member of his team. Once I had an appointment booked with him, but I ended up seeing his NP. That’s fine, but would have been nice to tell me
I had 3 medicated IUI cycles with clomid. None led to a pregnancy. IVF cycle was cancelled due to COVID
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
It’s very hard to get in touch with Dr. Tran. His care team is very responsive to email.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I’ve had some scheduling issues (needing time change appointments after they were scheduled, having a different provider than scheduled with). I think Dr. Tran can deliver the results. I feel like one of many patients. I sometimes feel like I really have to advocate for myself and ask the care team a lot of questions. I was given an IVF protocol, but no information on why that protocol was selected. I sometimes feel bad asking so many questions. It would be nice to be given more information up front. The responsiveness around treatment during COVID has been excellent.
2013 - 2016, Successful
Review of
He's [Dr Nam Tran] very matter of fact. I liked his straightforward nature, but if you are looking for someone to hold your hand, he's not it...Honest, direct feedback and recommendations. Acknowledging both the physical and emotional sides of the equation.
Twice an IUI Cycle was cancelled [at UCSF] due to missing my ovulation. I would have expected them to chedule check-ins earlier so that it wouldn't happen. Now, I am more forceful about scheduling my appointments early...Patient navigators are great. New facility at Mission Bay is beautiful and parking is easy. You will interact with a lot of different caregivers.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at UCSF?
He's very matter of fact. I liked his straightforward nature, but if you are looking for someone to hold your hand, he's not it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at UCSF?
Describe your experience with UCSF.
What specific things went wrong at UCSF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at UCSF.
Twice an IUI Cycle was cancelled due to missing my ovulation. I would have expected them to chedule check-ins earlier so that it wouldn't happen. Now, I am more forceful about scheduling my appointments early.
Review of

2019, 19 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Nam Tran felt very professional and trustworthy, I felt comfortable going over facts and getting straight answers from him. I felt comfortable with him during the egg retrieval surgery, and afterwards, and things went as expected during my egg retrieval. ... my nurse [Spring Fertility] and Dr. didn't communicate with me about their recommendation that I discontinue birth control several months previous to egg retrieval. I had checked in a previous communication whether I should discontinue, but was reassured it would be alright. When I checked back in a few months later when the procedure would fit with my schedule, they told me to wait several months to get off of birth control before they would recommend me to begin treatments
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is clean, comfortable, and professional, each interaction I had went well and felt good. It would have been nice to know how many doctors/nurses I would interact with throughout the process, before we started off it felt a bit like a whirlwind of people and processes. ... Each nurse, care coordinator and staff member was quite good at their part of the process. It's just that there were so many of them, and different ones at different points along the process! This put me on edge because I felt like information could easily be forgotten along the way, and not passed down to the next person.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I don't think I have anything that would be particularly useful I'm afraid! I was quite satisfied with Dr. Nam Tran
Whether I felt like a number or human was different at different points in my treatment. I rarely had the same doctor at my monitoring appointments for example, and it was difficult to know whether these doctors and nurses were speaking to one another behind the scenes. I thought each doctor individually had great bedside manner, but the communications felt quite disjointed, which made me feel a bit like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is clean, comfortable, and professional, each interaction I had went well and felt good. It would have been nice to know how many doctors/nurses I would interact with throughout the process, before we started off it felt a bit like a whirlwind of people and processes.
$8500 for egg retrieval
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
my nurse and Dr. didn't communicate with me about their recommendation that I discontinue birth control several months previous to egg retrieval. I had checked in a previous communication whether I should discontinue, but was reassured it would be alright. When I checked back in a few months later when the procedure would fit with my schedule, they told me to wait several months to get off of birth control before they would recommend me to begin treatments