U. of Iowa

Redwood City, CA 94063
Sunnyvale
550 Lakeside Dr
Sunnyvale, CA 94085

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.

Treated 2018 - 2020
What we appreciated the most was Dr Tran's direct, confident and no fluff demeanor. Often times, he was more confident in a positive outcome than we were which is what I would want with my fertility doctor. We did experience 1 miscarriage with an IUI cycle which Dr Tran showed a nice balance of compassion and yet still a focus on the path forward...If you want a personalized, down to business, direct and a results driven outcome, then Dr Tran is who you'd want to see.
[Spring Fertility's] strengths: medical staff, knowledge of the co-founding doctors, the nursing staff and nurse practitioner are also all great, inviting, organized, clean, resourceful as they have medications on hand if you need it in an emergency sense...If I had one critique, it would be with the financial coordinator who didn't always know the answers to some pretty simple questions I had regarding mediation cost and wasn't always prompt in communication response.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
We couldn't be happier as patients of Dr Tran. We saw him at Spring in 2018 when the clinic was still growing and again at the end of 2019 when the clinic had grown exponentially but we experienced the same level of care from Dr Tran. What we appreciated the most was Dr Tran's direct, confident and no fluff demeanor. Often times, he was more confident in a positive outcome than we were which is what I would want with my fertility doctor. We did experience 1 miscarriage with an IUI cycle which Dr Tran showed a nice balance of compassion and yet still a focus on the path forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
If you want a fertility doctor who is going to hold your hand, provide some fluffiness to your consults and consultations with a pair of rosy glasses on, this is not the doctor for you. If you want a personalized, down to business, direct and a results driven outcome, then Dr Tran is who you'd want to see.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
We've been a patient of Dr Tran's for 2 separate treatment cycles and have always felt like our consults and treatment conversations were personalized. He was always available for questions and concerns outside of appointment times.
Describe the protocols Nam Tran used in your cycles at Spring Fertility and their degree of success.
Walking into the clinic, I thought for sure we would be doing IVF but after our consultation, ultrasound and fertility vitals, Dr Tran recommended that we start with IUI first since the more %s of increase in chances of being pregnant with IVF vs IUI wasn't worth the exponential extra cost of IVF. For our first treatment cycle, we did two rounds of IUIs. The first round resulted in a miscarriage at 5.5 weeks and the second round results in my now healthy toddler. For our second treatment cycle which was 10 months after giving birth, we did two rounds of IUI. The first round didn't take and the second round resulted in twins which I am currently in the third trimester of.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
I worked with multiple nurses at Spring Fertility and all were very responsive and helpful. I hardly ever had to stress about communication or to knowing answers to questions I had during my treatment. I only had 1 confusing situation/encounters which was caused by miscommunication with one of the medical assistants but cleared up with Dr Tran. If I had one critique, it would be with the financial coordinator who didn't always know the answers to some pretty simple questions I had regarding mediation cost and wasn't always prompt in communication response.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Clinic strengths: medical staff, knowledge of the co-founding doctors, the nursing staff and nurse practitioner are also all great, inviting, organized, clean, resourceful as they have medications on hand if you need it in an emergency sense. Weakness: communication with the financial coordinator.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nam Tran at Spring Fertility.
The initial consult was out of pocket which was reasonable. My first two IUI cycles were covered by work and we paid out of pocket for the 2nd two IUI cycles which we found was reasonable as well.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Tran reviewed our results and agreed that IVF with ICSI was our best path forward. Because my results were all within standard range, he said our chances were relatively high, comparatively -- about 60% chance of conception per cycle. I was put on Menopur and Gonal-F to prepare for the retrieval, and we were able to stay the course without making changes to the protocol as the eggs were progressing as expected...strongly recommended single embryo transfer, and given my age and the risks, I was happy with this approach.
We used ICSI and they grew the embryos to day 6 [at Spring Fertility]. Only two made it to day 6, both of which we chose to send for PGS testing. One came back as normal, the other was "inconclusive." We would have been allowed to either re-test the inconclusive embryo or transfer it without further testing...I was very happy with my primary nurse. She was communicative and extremely helpful when we had some trouble with insurance timing and the medication. I appreciate all her support and patience with us.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
When we first met with Dr. Tran for a consultation, he was very efficient but thorough. He explained our options in a straightforward manner. We received a lot of information that first visit, but we had a fairly clear sense of our path forward, though the question of timing was still a little hard to grasp. We were able to proceed with treatment relatively quickly, and I always felt like I was in good hands with Dr. Tran. I appreciated that I saw him on most visits and that he handled my procedures himself. We had one minor confusion when he told us he thought we could do a transfer before the end of the year, when really January was the actual outcome because of holiday closures, but while that felt frustrating at the time, I'm glad we did the transfer at a time when we could have full access to Dr. Tran and the clinic. On the day of the retrieval, he did a great job putting me at ease, joking about the music playing in the procedure room. We got some bad news after my retrieval - only 2 embryos made it to day 6 out of the original 18 - and Dr. Tran explained that it might be due to the quality of my eggs over the phone. I think that information would have been a little easier to take in person, but I appreciate that he was able to take the time to talk to us about it. While things sometimes felt like they moved quickly with Dr. Tran, I know he's a very experienced doctor with a great track record, so I feel grateful we were able to work with him.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. Dr. Tran will make time to answer them if he knows you have them.
While Spring was handling a lot of patients, I appreciated the attention from Dr. Tran. He kept appointments short and to-the-point without making me feel like he didn't have time for me -- I appreciated his efficiency as well as his personal approach.
My partner was diagnosed with male factor infertility before coming to Dr. Tran. We were told IVF with ICSI was our best option by the reproductive endocrinologist we had gotten testing with at Kaiser. Dr. Tran reviewed our results and agreed that IVF with ICSI was our best path forward. Because my results were all within standard range, he said our chances were relatively high, comparatively -- about 60% chance of conception per cycle. I was put on Menopur and Gonal-F to prepare for the retrieval, and we were able to stay the course without making changes to the protocol as the eggs were progressing as expected. I did the trigger injections 36 hours before the procedure, and came in for the retrieval, which resulted in 19 eggs, 18 of which made it to the embryo state. We used ICSI and they grew the embryos to day 6. Only two made it to day 6, both of which we chose to send for PGS testing. One came back as normal, the other was "inconclusive." We would have been allowed to either re-test the inconclusive embryo or transfer it without further testing. When the clinic reopened after the holidays, I went on birth control for about two weeks before starting medication (Letrozole then Medrol) to prepare for the transfer. I was not put on progesterone after bloodwork showed I had appropriate levels. I was given Valium to take the day of the transfer, and no further medication after that. I got a positive HCG result about two and half weeks after the transfer and am currently 14 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yvette Perez)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring is a very nice facility, I appreciate that it's not overwhelmingly clinical in atmosphere. It helped me feel like a person -- the touches like having snacks/drinks in the waiting room, and the running-water feature across from where you get your blood drawn. They're very friendly and accommodating. We struggled a little with our care coordinator at the beginning, and I was a little surprised by how much I had to advocate for myself when I expected a bit more hand-holding -- everything worked out, but I was initially a little frustrated by the confusion, which was mostly around timing. I was generally under the impression that they're growing a lot, quickly, which wonderful, but that some of the early missteps were just a result of that growth. Once I was handed over to the clinical team, everything was very smooth. While it's certainly not a deciding factor, the occasional difficulty of parking is something to be aware of -- at a stressful time, finding out the lot next door is closed or having to circle for spots is just something to account for in understanding the time it'll take to get to the appointments.
Describe Nam Tran's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran strongly recommended single embryo transfer, and given my age and the risks, I was happy with this approach.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
We had some early confusion about timing for starting our first cycle -- we had a weekend trip planned out of town involving air travel, and because it fell around the time of possible ovulation, we weren't sure if we could start that cycle or not. It just took a bit of back and forth with our care coordinator. I also missed an injection class because I was sent the wrong date. In the scheme of things, these ended up being minor and manageable, they were just painful at the start of my treatment.

Success w/ Doc 33 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Tran was warm, friendly and to the point. I really appreciated his ability to balance clear, candid and accurate information well also being super nice. He took the time to learn my goals, tailor the treatment, and set realistic expectations. My favorite part was that if my personal fertility goals had been different, he would have actually not recommended egg freezing. I love he was willing to turn away business if it wasn't in the best interest of his patient.
I am obsessed with this clinic. The facilities are convenient in the city, with a parking garage below and easy street meters. The ambiance is incredibly lux. The sparkling water and snacks were clutch with all the blood draws. I never had to wait long, unless I was early, but my favorite part was that patients in the waiting room were super diverse and friendly. The other patients would grab coffee and chat with each other.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Nothing! You're in great hands at Spring. The whole experience is incredible with great customer service, support and facilities.
The clinic experience was so wonderful! The nurses and receptionists made a point to learn my name, offer snacks and water when I had blood draws, and ask about events happening in my life that I had shared. They were so lovely.
I elected to freeze my eggs for later use. I was given a tailored protocol of menopur, gonal, and later cetrotide. We used a lupron trigger to help avoid OHSS. Spring adjusted my dosages almost daily for the last half of my injects to help prevent OHSS (which they did!) and provided clear communication on their online portal about medications.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yvette)
Yvette was my primary care nurse and Shirley was my scheduling coordinator. They were both incredibly responsive. Yvette was super helpful answering all my panicked emails when I thought I had done the injections wrong. She was super patient and sweet with my random questions about taking baths and tylenol too.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Progyny and my primary insurance handled all costs and billing. My out of pocket costs were minimal and covered by my yearly out of pocket maximum for all health coverage.
San Francisco

We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. ... Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). ... He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics. ... So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
As we have only seen Dr. Tran for a consultation, I cannot speak to his care going through the IVF process. However, just based on our consultation, I know we have made the right choice. We came in fully knowing we want to do IVF after 12+ years of unexplained infertility and a previous pregnancy loss. He was thorough answering all of our questions and laying out the course of treatment as clearly as possible. Of course, things can change as you go through the cycle, and we are not quite there yet. Dr. Tran is after eggs of great quality that will create embryos of great quality. He expressed that he does not want us to go through more than one egg retrieval if we can help it. His goal is to help us get pregnant as soon as possible. I really do feel he has our best interest in mind.
I would say to have your questions ready, and know that he speaks very scientifically. I got the feeling that Spring clinic really nerds out on the science behind IVF, and I love that because it's not something I want to have to deal with! I'm more than happy to put my eggs in their hands so that they can create lab magic. Expect to hear a lot of statistics.
Dr. Tran shared all the possible statistics of going through an IVF with a couple our age (late 30's). He was very sensitive because of the loss we've experienced, and although I did not feel like he treated us like a number, it was staggering to learn all the statistics and to think of IVF in a very systematic way like that. He knows what he is talking about, and fully acknowledges that there are anomalies or "lucky" situations that can occur, no matter what the numbers suggest. I appreciated his honesty.
As we have not done a cycle yet (most likely will start in June), I can only speak to the protocol we have been given. I was so elated to learn that I will not take birth control to start my cycle, but will begin injections about 3-6 days after ovulation of the cycle before egg retrieval. I am to call on first day of my period, go in for an ultrasound, and then return once I have a positive ovulation test for another ultra sound. From there, my treatment protocol will be personalized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Chicas)
So far I have worked with Michelle, my care coordinator. I have had a few questions for her, and had to get her some info regarding previous testing I have done, and she has been so easy to work with. She communicates easily, responds quickly, and is readily available. She sets my mind at ease every time I talk to her.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
So far the clinic is awesome. So clean, organized, every time I call I talk to a real live person and they help me immediately. I was surprised that they had 80's music in the waiting room. The receptionist at the front said that Dr. Tran likes to keep it fun. It was a little odd to have an ultrasound with an antral follicle count being done with Whitney Houston playing in the background, but hey, I kind of liked it!
Our consultation was paid for by insurance as we have some infertility coverage. I believe the appointment was around $400, plus additional lab fees for blood work. We received our workup for our IVF treatment, and it's around $18,000 for monitoring, egg retrieval, ICSI, assisted hatching, taking sample of cells for PSG and sending them off. Meds are estimated to be an additional $4000 and then the FET is estimated to be another $3500-5000. This does not include the actual cost of the genetic testing. I think that is another $3000-5000.
Dr. Tran's approach is single embryo transfer as often as possible. He did not mention multiple embryo transfer, so I'm sure if he does it, it's on a case by case basis. As someone who has lost twins, I appreciate that our transfer will be a single one.
San Francisco

Dr Tran is an incredible doctor- his knowledge of reproduction and his role in making it happen is astounding. I respect how efficient Dr Tran was at all of my appointments, I felt like he was always present and invested in our success. I felt safe, supported and 100% confident in his abilities as my doctor. ... He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays.
One of the things I most appreciated about Spring is their convenience. They are open every day of the year, they open at 7:30am so all of my monitoring appointments happened before work, they were always on time, I never waited and the facilities are spotless. There is parking available on site too, which made life so much easier. ... Onjira was my nurse and she was just ok. I am not one to ask too many questions but she didn’t seem to be up to the same standard as the rest of the nursing staff. Ayda and Helen we’re both brilliant.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr Tran is not going to sit there and give you a cuddle, if you are looking for a doctor to look you in the eyes and tell you everything is ok- that is not Dr Tran. He is smart, fast and to the point and I absolutely appreciated that about him. He did every ultrasound I had, including first appointments of the day and on sundays. He must work 7 days a week, fertility and his work are clearly his passion and I felt so confident in his abilities at every step of the process.
Dr Tran will get you results, but don’t forget that this is a business and he’s a busy man. Expect the best service, honest answers and world class care.
Having done 4 unsuccessful IUIs with Kaiser and being very unimpressed with the care I received there, we moved to spring. I knew Dr Tran was our doctor and within 2 weeks of our first appointment I was starting injectables. I did a combination of menopur, gonal f and certitide for 13 days. My doses were adjusted each day depending on my daily ultrasound and blood results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Onjira )
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Egg retrieval- $18,500 Additional 2 embryo biopsy - $900 FET - $4500 Meds - $4400
I am yet to have my FET but have PGS rested embryos ready to go, our recommendation has been to transfer one embryo.
San Francisco

I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going... He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field...Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%... Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. ..He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way....
I love love love the clinic [Spring Fertility]. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I cannot say enough good things about Dr Tran and our treatment is still going. We are awaiting our FET having undergone an egg retrieval and PGS testing we have 6 healthy embryos waiting for us. He predicted we would have 3 but would do everything he could to make it more and he did just that. He did all of my ultrasounds, he was supportive and thorough and is clearly a leader in his field. I never questioned him because I had full faith he knew what he was doing and I was in the best hands possible.
Dr Tran has a dry sense of humour and is not the warm and cuddly type- he is a wildly clever doctor so don’t expect cuddles and a shoulder to cry on. He is fact driven, experienced and knows best so trust him. He was literally at the clinic every single time I went- 7am in the morning, Sunday’s, he was there. That’s what I want in a doctor.
Dr. Tran is an unbelievably smart, thoughtful and experienced fertility doctor who I trusted 100%. He clearly loves what he does and was always willing to answer my questions or concerns in a very direct way.
I did 14 days of stims using menopur and cetrotide. I had 7 monitoring visits before my egg retrieval and after each visit my dosages were changed to suit my blood results.
Onjira was my primary care nurse and she was ok. Not the same level at Helen or Ava or any of the other nurses that helped me each visit. She did her job and was helpful when necessary but I think Dr. Tran deserves a better nurse.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I love love love the clinic. The opening hours and location were the biggest plus for me. I had all of my appointments around 7am so never missed time off of work, the location is central SF and has easy parking, though you have to pay for it. The office is a good size with lots of rooms for ultrasounds and the lab is amazing. When you are about to have your egg retrieval you can see the embryologists at work and it makes it all so real.
So far we have paid $18,750 for egg retrieval, $4400 for meds, $900 for additional embryo biopsy, and I believe FET will be $4500. All up it will cost well over $30,000- more if our FET is unsuccessful.
I am yet to transfer but Dr Tran has said from the very beginning I will only be transferring one embryo. I am happy with this as I don’t want to put my body through any undue stress.

Treated 2018 - 2019
[Dr. Nam Tran is] Creative yet evidence-based and doesn’t recommend a bunch of things you don’t need. He is a scientist and straightforward but compassionate, and has some good deadpan humor! He does explain things quickly so write down and bring your questions and don’t hesitate to send up a follow up question. I most appreciate that Dr. Tran is willing to keep working with poor prognosis patients—some clinics want to move on to donor eggs to boost their numbers but not the case here. We were initially devastated after our first two cycles led to no transferable embryos likely due to poor egg quality and me being a poor responder to meds. At that point he recommended proceeding with minimal stimulation ivf which worked really well for us and ended up giving us a better blast yield per cycle and ultimately leading to success for us. Not all clinics do mini IVF so I was grateful Spring offers this as other clinics would have either proceeded with full stim (high expense for low yield) or pushed donor eggs.
Spring Fertility really focuses on the patient experience-everyone is very responsive, they have a lot of nice touches...they pay attention to the little things. The protocols are tailored to individuals not just an algorithm...We had one instance where we had to call back and clarify a miscommunication about an embryo report. However literally every other communication (probably more than 100 contacts between appointments, emails, and phone calls) was timely and accurate.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran is seriously smart and on the cutting edge. Creative yet evidence-based and doesn’t recommend a bunch of things you don’t need. He is a scientist and straightforward but compassionate, and has some good deadpan humor! He does explain things quickly so write down and bring your questions and don’t hesitate to send up a follow up question. I most appreciate that Dr. Tran is willing to keep working with poor prognosis patients—some clinics want to move on to donor eggs to boost their numbers but not the case here. We were initially devastated after our first two cycles led to no transferable embryos likely due to poor egg quality and me being a poor responder to meds. At that point he recommended proceeding with minimal stimulation ivf which worked really well for us and ended up giving us a better blast yield per cycle and ultimately leading to success for us. Not all clinics do mini IVF so I was grateful Spring offers this as other clinics would have either proceeded with full stim (high expense for low yield) or pushed donor eggs.
Write down your questions and don’t hesitate to send the team a follow up question!
1 letrozole flare 1 mid-luteal start 3 mini IVF with clomid and gonalF/menopur
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
This clinic prioritizes the patient experience and does all the touches right. We had so many visits there over our time and really appreciated their organization, timeliness, and attention to all the little things.
Pricing is transparent and up front. Comparable to other clinics in the area. Mini IVF cycles can be packaged which makes the cost about 50% of a regular IVF cycle
They recommend eSET for PGS tested

Treated 2017 - 2019
If a doctor with a really good bedside manner is important to you, chose one of the other doctors at this clinic. Dr. Tran can be a little "cold", but that was not something that bothered me...I trusted that he was well educated and believe that he made decision in our treatment that he thought would result in the best outcome. I felt that he set our expectations for success once we moved on to IVF too high. Sometimes I would have to push him to make changes to my course of treatment after multiple failures because he did not believe changes were needed. I'm not a fan doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.
Appointments were almost always on time [at Spring Fertility] which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss...Most of the nursing staff seemed to really care about the outcome of my treatment and showed a lot of empathy when things didn't work out. The front desk staff always greeted me by name...There were two miscommunications in the first 6 months of treatment that had me questioning whether I should continue treatment at this clinic, but after that everything was good. On our first IUI cycle, no one told us that my husband needed certain bloodwork before the IUI and they ended up having to push my IUI back a few days to give time to get his results back. There was another time when I was supposed to take a medication that noone told me about. I received a text reminder to take the medicine and that is how I found out about it and had to ask for a prescription. After we moved on to IVF, the communication was great and we didn't have any problems. The staff were always very responsive to questions over phone and email.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laurel)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Appointments were almost always on time which made me feel like they valued my time. Nursing staff and front desk staff were very nice. Billing staff communication was hit-or-miss. I was told by my Gyn that this clinic was the best choice if you are looking for the most cutting edge fertility treatment.
IUI cycle - $1,500 plus cost of meds IVF retrieval + PGS - $17,500 plus cost of meds Frozene Embryo Transfer - $4,500 plus cost of meds
Dr. Tran was very adamant about not transferring more than one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Issues were described under the nursing staff section

Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Tran has always been very honest and straightforward which I greatly appreciate. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs. ... He is straightforward and sets realistic expectations which is exactly what you need in this process so you are not giving an unrealistic sense of hope; with this approach it can lack a little bit of warmth in his messages but in the end you leave his office with a real sense of understanding for the future.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is professional and innovative; their results speak for themselves. However, with the rapid growth of the clinic they have lost some of the personal care and precise communication / organization that they had when the clinic first opened. ... I have worked with Laurel Maley and Allie Bell over the last several years and both of them were absolutely amazing and made a very stressful process smooth and bearable. They are knowledge, kind, responsive and effective in communicating / answering all the million of questions you have along the way.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
From a scientific and IVF protocol I completely trust Dr. Tran and his decisions. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs. He is straightforward and sets realistic expectations which is exactly what you need in this process so you are not giving an unrealistic sense of hope; with this approach it can lack a little bit of warmth in his messages but in the end you leave his office with a real sense of understanding for the future.
Be patient with the process and trust Dr. Trans decisions as he shares the same desired outcome.
I have been a patient of Dr. Tran from the beginning of the clinic's opening and as they have grown the level of individual attention to detail is slightly diminished. However, Dr. Tran has always been very honest and straightforward which I greatly appreciate. He is very accurate in his assessments and his protocol is always adjusted and designed to fit my individual needs.
I did two retrievals using Lupron, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide and Novarel. Both retrievals resulted in a desirable amount of eggs; my particular problem is in growing the embryos to day 5. The number of embroys drastically dropped during this time. First retrieval results in 2 embryos that both came back normal after genetic testing. The second retrieval resulted in 1 embryo that came back abnormal. I then did a FET immediately following the second retrieval that resulted in a healthy pregnancy. I did a second transfer Sept 2019 with the remaining embryo from first retrieval that did not result in a pregnancy. I am currently undergoing preparation for another retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laurel Maley)
I have worked with Laurel Maley and Allie Bell over the last several years and both of them were absolutely amazing and made a very stressful process smooth and bearable. They are knowledge, kind, responsive and effective in communicating / answering all the million of questions you have along the way. They are thoughtful and compassionate; everything you would want in the person who is your primary contact during this process! There are some nursing staff that need to avoid speaking to you about your case when they don't know all the specifics; best to avoid communicating information that could lead to confusion.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is professional and innovative; their results speak for themselves. However, with the rapid growth of the clinic they have lost some of the personal care and precise communication / organization that they had when the clinic first opened.
The first two retrievals and transfer were covered by insurance. Second transfer was around $6,000 and current retrieval will be around $25,000
I agree with Dr. Tran's approach of eSET as I highly risk adverse to having multiple babies at my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
There was one instance when a nurse that I worked with briefly sent me conflicting information related to my protocol; however, after calling the clinic directly my questions and concerns were immediately addressed.
San Francisco

I am early 30s with good stats, and his strategy was 3 unmedicated IUIs, then (if no pregnancy) 3 medicated IUIs, then potentially move on to IVF. ... now that I have had 3 unsuccessful IUIs, Dr. Tran thinks I should do one before beginning the more involved and expensive process of medicated IUIs. ... I have only ever seen Dr. Tram in person once, at my initial consult. ...
Strengths: friendly, easy to make appointments, knowledgeable staff [Spring Fertility] Weaknesses: billing can sometimes lag. Sometimes I will be asked to pay for a procedure the day I come in (my insurance doesn’t cover anything fertility related) whereas other times they would not charge me day of, and instead I would get hit with several appointments worth of charges a couple months later.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I have only ever seen Dr. Tram in person once, at my initial consult. My IUIs were done by different doctors, and all other information has been conveyed through nurses and my patient coordinator. However I feel like I’m getting the care I need, and if I move on to IVF, I believe I will see him more.
His primary focus is IVF, so if you are starting with IUI, you might not see him for many of your appointments. However he will still be involved in your care, and it’s easy to get answers to questions via your patient coordinator.
Along with the doctors and nurses, I was assigned a “patient coordinator” who is available to answer all my questions. Being able to go through this one person who knows me and my treatment history makes me feel much more connected to my treatment. It makes t easier to ask questions, so I understand more of what is going on. And everyone is always very responsive and friendly.
I am early 30s with good stats, and his strategy was 3 unmedicated IUIs, then (if no pregnancy) 3 medicated IUIs, then potentially move on to IVF. I have had three unsuccessful IUIs. I am now going to have an HSG test. I elected not to have one before beginning initial treatment, but now that I have had 3 unsuccessful IUIs, Dr. Tran thinks I should do one before beginning the more involved and expensive process of medicated IUIs. Depending on the results of the HSG test, I will either move on to the planned medicated cycles, or look at IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Brittany Delacruz)
Great! Very responsive and quick to answer questions. Also very warm and friendly.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Strengths: friendly, easy to make appointments, knowledgeable staff Weaknesses: billing can sometimes lag. Sometimes I will be asked to pay for a procedure the day I come in (my insurance doesn’t cover anything fertility related) whereas other times they would not charge me day of, and instead I would get hit with several appointments worth of charges a couple months later.
Monitoring ultrasounds—$400 IUI— Around $800
San Francisco

Be prepared with a list of questions to get the most out of your visits with Dr. Tran. We had most of our monitoring visits with him personally, but they're routine in nature and quick,...the whole reason we did IVF was the genetic test at D5/6 so we can minimize the risk miscarriage. The mid-luteal protocol didn't allow for a Day 3 transfer...He is strong with the numbers and the science behind this, which was important to my spouse particularly, but also showed great understanding and willingness to listen and consider not only new information but our desires about the ivf cycle we were undergoing as well as next steps. His team of nurses was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate.
team of nurses [at Spring Fertility] was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate...Dealing with the billing department at Spring was the most stressful and painful experience, an unwelcome one too given how taxing the IVF process already is. Inquires required multiple follow-ups before Spring would respond (sometimes 2-3 weeks later)...This is a boutique practice. The clinic was conveniently located for us, and they have other locations in the Bay Area. They seem to be growing and adding new doctors, but I never felt that I have to wait to get an appointment or even wait during an appointment for more than 5 minutes. They'd get me out on time as well, so there was minimal interruption to my work day. The online portal is good, but most importantly they respond and follow-up promptly.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
What I mostly appreciated about Dr. Tran was his willingness to listen and adjust the treatment as new information came in and we wanted a change in direction. I think there's a lot of ego in this field and his flexibility was refreshing. He is very keep on the mid-luteal protocol. At the beginning he was reluctant to share what approach he'd take, stating that he doesn't care what the protocol is called, but whether it is appropriate for us, but ultimately took the approach he seems to be known for. We experienced a setback with unusually high drop in embryos in the lab (b/n D3 and D5/6). He was upfront about how unexpected that result was and presented a solution, without throwing the stats based on my age in my face, which I appreciated. Ultimately, we didn't get to an embryo transfer with him. He very candidly shared his opinion that our embryos had a better chance in my uterus, which is what we came to realize, and showed that he had our interest at heart. This is not where the clinic makes money, so he won my full trust with this recommendation.
Be prepared with a list of questions to get the most out of your visits with Dr. Tran. We had most of our monitoring visits with him personally, but they're routine in nature and quick, so I found myself following up with the nurses with follow-up questions I didn't get to or didn't think of during the visits.
Dr. Tran showed interest in and concern about our individual journey to parenthood. He is strong with the numbers and the science behind this, which was important to my spouse particularly, but also showed great understanding and willingness to listen and consider not only new information but our desires about the ivf cycle we were undergoing as well as next steps. His team of nurses was phenomenal - accessible, understanding and compassionate.
We had to IVF cycles with mid-luteal protocol, with moderate to low doses. I had 8-9 follicles at baseline, and given that there wasn't much potential beyond that, it was important for me to not get overly medicated (some other fertility doctors we consulted with in our research mentioned "aggressive" protocol, which was a big turnoff). Dr. Tran took a moderate approach and adjusted down given my good response in the first cycle. The meds were 225 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur. Great response initially - of 8 follicles we retrieved 8 mature eggs, 7 fertilized with ICSI. Second time less so - of 9 follicles, we retrieved 4 and only 2 mature eggs which were fertilized. "0" embryos at Day 5/6, however, and the whole reason we did IVF was the genetic test at D5/6 so we can minimize the risk miscarriage. The mid-luteal protocol didn't allow for a Day 3 transfer. Seems like our embryos can't make it beyond that in lab environment.
My IVF nurse was phenomenal - responsive, knowledgeable, caring - just on top of her game in every sense. Yvette was super helpful and patient with all my questions, and they were many as I kept reading and educating myself. Same goes for my coordinator Nichakorn.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I definitely felt that I was getting personal care. This is a boutique practice. The clinic was conveniently located for us, and they have other locations in the Bay Area. They seem to be growing and adding new doctors, but I never felt that I have to wait to get an appointment or even wait during an appointment for more than 5 minutes. They'd get me out on time as well, so there was minimal interruption to my work day. The online portal is good, but most importantly they respond and follow-up promptly.
We went through insurance as we had some coverage (with a lifetime max). Still unsure of the total out-of-pocket costs for either cycle due to the messy billing. Dealing with the billing department at Spring was the most stressful and painful experience, an unwelcome one too given how taxing the IVF process already is. Inquires required multiple follow-ups before Spring would respond (sometimes 2-3 weeks later). They simple didn't address/ignored some direct questions. Last but not least, they said they'd do the billing in a certain way for our second cycle, but didn't do so despite the agreement we had reached on that. Super frustrating experience, and I am still entangled in this two months after treatment.
eSET was the considered approach but we didn't have a single embryo for transfer.
San Francisco

Dr. Tran is an intelligent, competent doctor, but there's a lack of emotional IQ to balance his intellectual IQ. ... I found Dr. Tran to be very conservative in his approach vs. other docs, which may be due to his background at UCSF (teaching hospital). He will not perform an ERA, or other new procedures, unless they have tons of data back them up. He won't order blood-tests or recommend aggressive treatments unless absolutely necessary.
pring is busy....really busy. They need more docs for the amount of patients they take on. It's easy to get lost in the cracks here...and there are a lot of cracks. What I love the most about Spring is the lab facility. It's a reason in itself to come here for treatment. I just wish their doctors, and care team were also part of that reason too! ... Unfilled medications, procedures rescheduled last minute, billing issues, lack of communication, etc. You have to stay on top of your care team, medications and billing - just be prepared!
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran is an intelligent, competent doctor, but there's a lack of emotional IQ to balance his intellectual IQ. Infertility is an emotional journey, and we look to our doctors for support. Many times during my care I felt like he didn't have enough capacity for me, and he was taking on too many patients. In the worst of times, I felt abandoned by him as my doctor. He is present at appointments, but his time is rushed. Appointments have become difficult to schedule due to his split time between Redwood City and SF offices, and I have even had major procedures rescheduled last minute to accommodate his busy schedule.
Get to know your nurse, because Dr. Tran will not be available to you beyond your appointments. Be direct in your questions. Don't let yourself get rushed, or brushed off - speak up for yourself. You may need to ask questions multiple times to get the answer you need. Find a good therapist to help with the emotional stuff - you will need it.
Dr. Tran is smart, but we've been disappointed in his bedside care. As long as appointments and/or procedures go as planned, he is a fine, friendly doc. But when things get complicated (as they often do with IVF), he seems to lack patience, and is reluctant to verbalize his reasoning for making treatment decisions. We had a heart wrenching complication during our cycle, and Dr. Tran never went out of his way to check in on us. The only time we ever heard from him was during scheduled appointments, which were always rushed. If that's not being treated like a number, I don't know what is.
I found Dr. Tran to be very conservative in his approach vs. other docs, which may be due to his background at UCSF (teaching hospital). He will not perform an ERA, or other new procedures, unless they have tons of data back them up. He won't order blood-tests or recommend aggressive treatments unless absolutely necessary. He isn't super proactive - which may be partially due to his lack of time. If you're looking for a doc that will be extremely thorough, and give you all the bells and whistles, he many not be the doc for you.
We never met our nurse and care coordinator in person, so it always felt detached, but overall kept decent rapport. Unfortunately we had several missteps with medications, treatment calendar information, etc. which caused some lost trust. Since the doctors are inaccessible beyond appointment hours, questions around treatment, etc. had to go through the nurse, which can get frustrating. Nursing staff at the clinic seems inexperienced overall, but there are some great gems if you can find them/get their time.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring is busy....really busy. They need more docs for the amount of patients they take on. It's easy to get lost in the cracks here...and there are a lot of cracks. What I love the most about Spring is the lab facility. It's a reason in itself to come here for treatment. I just wish their doctors, and care team were also part of that reason too!
We had some insurance coverage, but about $46-50k for retrieval, $6k for transfer, $800 for meds
I wasn't given an option - single embryo transfers only
San Francisco

[Dr. Nam Tran is] not going to waste your time with un-substantiated rabbit holes...The one key decision, which was different from my past (unsuccessful) transfers with my 1st doctor: unmedicated transfer cycle, using my own body's natural cycle to guide transfer timing. I believe that made all the difference in my outcome! That meant that the stuff I had to do before my other (unsuccessful) transfers - endometrial scratch, ERA testing, daily injections with progesterone treatments - were not necessary...made a last-second decision to do ICSI with one of our retrievals. He clarified why and I'm fine with the rationale, but would have liked to know in advance.
[Spring Fertility has a] Concierge feel. Beautiful facilities, incredible medical team. I loved being able to work with Dr. Klatsky and Dr. Harris when Dr. Tran was out of the office. Both are incredible doctors. The surgery nurse is stellar...My experiences with the entire team were incredibly positive with the exception of Yvette. While she was very competent, her demeanor was lacking in compassion. Her delivery of our - positive!!! - pregnancy blood test results sounded like she was telling me my puppy died. TWICE...The one key decision, which was different from my past (unsuccessful) transfers with my 1st doctor: unmedicated transfer cycle, using my own body's natural cycle to guide transfer timing. I believe that made all the difference in my outcome! That meant that the stuff I had to do before my other (unsuccessful) transfers - endometrial scratch, ERA testing, daily injections with progesterone treatments - were not necessary.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
The proof is in the pudding. I'm a 42-year old woman, using my own eggs and husband's sperm, and am currently 20-weeks pregnant after a single embryo transfer! Dr. Tran is matter-of-fact and VERY data-based meaning he doesn't waste time with frivolous treatment without proven efficacy. After two failed transfers in LA, my doctor there had me going down rabbit holes. Not so with Dr. Tran! He reads all of the studies so you don't have to. At the same time Dr. Tran really, really cares about your outcomes. I have video of Dr. Tran in our first ultrasound, grinning from ear-to-ear. As we're all first laying eyes on our baby to be, Dr. Tran is ecstatically exclaiming "you've got a one good one!"
Don't be afraid to ask questions and be open to data-based answers. Like I said, he's not going to waste your time with un-substantiated rabbit holes.
1. Dr. Tran REALLY cares--I have a photo of him grinning from ear to ear as he is conducting my first ultrasound post-transfer, confirming our pregnancy! 2. The entire team converses with you in calming, collegial, layman's terms. 3. Every time I walked into the clinic, I was greeted with my name (without looking at the chart). 4. The demeanor of doctors, nurses, and staff, along with the physical setup of the office, are all very peaceful (i.e., designed with the human being in mind).
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
We chose eSET because of my risk factors: age and two previous ectopic pregnancies. That was absolutely the right thought process and decision!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran made a last-second decision to do ICSI with one of our retrievals. He clarified why and I'm fine with the rationale, but would have liked to know in advance.
San Francisco

I had failed multiple IUI cycles elsewhere already. Based on my ethnicity and a combination of PCOS and unexplained infertility, and with some other considerations (like limited sperm vials to work with) I was recommended [by Dr. Nam Tran] an antagonist protocol for a freeze-all cycle and FET. We opted for PGS just because we could. We ended up having to adjust medications downwards because I was responding too well. Got more of everything than estimated - eggs, fertilized #, day 3, day 5/6. FET was a letrozole-assisted cycle and succeeded on the first try...He had a VERY, very, very, very strong preference for eSET due to my age and PGS-tested AA grade embryos.
I had nothing but excellent experiences with all the nursing staff [at Spring Fertility]. Every question I had was answered, even at 9pm at night, and all communications were timely...18k for stimulation/retrieval including icsi and pgs. around 4k for medications. 4500-5000 for FET. then $950 for saline sono and $450 for the last appointment to confirm pregnancy before graduating to my regular OB...I think the clinic is pretty great and their doctors, embryologists, and nursing staff are top notch. I also had no issues with billing or with any other clinic interactions. Spring was also one of the only Bay Area clinics that weren't transphobic and queerphobic, and that counted for a lot for us.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I absolutely loved Dr. Tran. He was super straightforward, answered all my questions and beyond, and performed all procedures skillfully. He was also very respectful of me and my partner at every opportunity. It is a pretty rare situation that I leave a serious conversation with a doctor feeling pretty good about everything - even if the answer isn't necessarily what i wanted - but somehow he managed to make that happen.
I spend a lot of my time dealing with healthcare advocacy for others, so Dr. Tran's bluntness was a big positive. But if that's not working for you, I would highly recommend Dr. Harris, who I think was my favorite for bedside manner out of all the doctors at Spring that I saw in brief.
The attention to detail and the way everyone communicated with me felt very personalized. Everything from consideration of names and pronouns, to timely updates.
I had failed multiple IUI cycles elsewhere already. Based on my ethnicity and a combination of PCOS and unexplained infertility, and with some other considerations (like limited sperm vials to work with) I was recommended an antagonist protocol for a freeze-all cycle and FET. We opted for PGS just because we could. We ended up having to adjust medications downwards because I was responding too well. Got more of everything than estimated - eggs, fertilized #, day 3, day 5/6. FET was a letrozole-assisted cycle and succeeded on the first try.
I had nothing but excellent experiences with all the nursing staff. Every question I had was answered, even at 9pm at night, and all communications were timely.
San Francisco
If you’re looking for sugar-coating, you’re barking up the wrong tree. He [Dr. Nam Tran] tells the absolute truth using science and data no matter what. He will not pull punches to make you feel better...I used Clomid for a minimum stimulation cycle. Although I was only 31, my ovaries behave as if they are 49...was 100% transparent about my diagnosis, prognosis (it wasn’t good; my AMH was 0.18 at age 31!), and what I could expect. I feel like his transparency allowed me to have realistic expectations, which is the most compassionate thing a fertility doctor can do.
Brittany Ann (my patient navigator) and Yvette (my nurse) [at Spring Fertility] were perfect. I could not have asked for a more professional, informative, and compassionate team!...The employees are all wonderful, trustworthy people. I KNOW it is stressful, but trust the process and be kind to the staff. They know their stuff!...I used Clomid for a minimum stimulation cycle. Although I was only 31, my ovaries behave as if they are 49...Every provider at Spring is outstanding however, Dr. Tran is a perfect balance between compassion and directness. I feel as though I had all of the information I needed, and I had complete realistic expectations the entire time. I will absolutely use him a second time. New Patient Advice
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
If you’re looking for sugar-coating, you’re barking up the wrong tree. He tells the absolute truth using science and data no matter what. He will not pull punches to make you feel better. That said, TRUST HIM.
Dr. Tran was 100% transparent about my diagnosis, prognosis (it wasn’t good; my AMH was 0.18 at age 31!), and what I could expect. I feel like his transparency allowed me to have realistic expectations, which is the most compassionate thing a fertility doctor can do.
Brittany Ann (my patient navigator) and Yvette (my nurse) were perfect. I could not have asked for a more professional, informative, and compassionate team!
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
I work in the fertility field. I could have gone anywhere, but I chose Spring. The employees are all wonderful, trustworthy people. I KNOW it is stressful, but trust the process and be kind to the staff. They know their stuff!
I do not recall the exact number. I had extraneous costs related to the donor sperm I used, mandatory FDA testing, etc.
Not applicable. I was only freezing embryos.

Treated 2018 - 2019
Both Dr. Tran and his staff [Spring Fertility] has been very responsive and informative with all of my questions....Dr. Tran Is very knowledgeable, informative and caring. I have been through 2 cycles with with Dr. Tran but I unfortunately both had negative results but he has guided me along the way and has answered every question I’ve had.
The one thing I love most about this clinic [Spring Fertility] is the connivence. They have multiple offices across the Bay Area and I’ve been able to go to one just a few minutes from my job which has been extremely helpful considering there are a ton of appointments. The only time I would have to go to the main clinic is for the big procedures which I don’t mind.... My Nurse has been very helpful and informative. Most of my questions are usually answered within a couple of hours. She’s very knowledgeable and knows my next steps.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Come prepared with your questions and make sure you’re comfortable with Dr. Tran and the clinic.
Both Dr. Tran and his staff has been very responsive and informative with all of my questions.
Sorry, I don’t remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: My Lee)
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The one thing I love most about this clinic is the connivence. They have multiple offices across the Bay Area and I’ve been able to go to one just a few minutes from my job which has been extremely helpful considering there are a ton of appointments. The only time I would have to go to the main clinic is for the big procedures which I don’t mind.
Each round is roughly around 10,000.00 (not including medication)

Investor
I was treated as if I was his most important patient. My outcome was as important to him [Dr. Nam Tran] as it was to me...He is incredibly warm and caring. He is elated when your results are good and so sad when they don't . work out. But above all else he tells you the truth and will never lead you to believe something false because it makes you feel better. He will design your treatment with you in mind to get the best possible outcome.
I have been to other clinics that are run like a factory. Spring is warm, intimate and run so well. You are seen on time and you are never left wondering with questions. You are treated like family, not like a number...My [nurse] is an excellent communicator. She goes above and beyond for the patients in her care...My outcome was as important to him [Dr. Nam Tran] as it was to me...He is incredibly warm and caring.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
A lot of people say that he isn't warm or doesn't have a great beside manner. I would completely disagree. He is incredibly warm and caring. He is elated when your results are good and so sad when they don't . work out. But above all else he tells you the truth and will never lead you to believe something false because it makes you feel better. He will design your treatment with you in mind to get the best possible outcome.
He will tell it to you straight. And even if your odds are not great he will do everything in his power to get you a good result. He does not shy away from tough cases.
I was treated as if I was his most important patient. My outcome was as important to him as it was to me.
My is an excellent communicator. She goes above and beyond for the patients in her care.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr Tran is a busy man so have to take all my questions with me for the day. He does make time for me when I need to talk or have so much questions, but don’t get to see him at all my appointments. It would be nice to have him to all my appointment but I understand that he is a busy man and he does most of the clinic in SFO. ... Well for start he talks in a manner you understand very step on the treatment. Makes you fell like a person and not just another woman coming through.
Good nurse that is loving and caring , with an understanding. Making sure you get to know the doctors as dr Tran will not be there [Spring Fertility San Fran] all the time. Go prepared with all the questions and any other medical questions you may have ... She [nurse] is my go to person makes everything easy. I don’t have to wait to call her, she does it all on time and answers all my questions and emails me on the day. She is so easy to communicate with, finally she is never busy to take my call.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Take all your questions with you. Write them down and so you remember them all.
Can’t remember them all sorry
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lee)
She is my go to person makes everything easy. I don’t have to wait to call her, she does it all on time and answers all my questions and emails me on the day. She is so easy to communicate with, finally she is never busy to take my call.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Good nurse that is loving and caring , with an understanding. Making sure you get to know the doctors as dr Tran will not be there all the time. Go prepared with all the questions and any other medical questions you may have
No sorry
Single transfer

Treated 2013 - 2019
Dr Tran is amazing. My husband and I have been seeing him for almost 7 years and we know each other as well as one can know their doctor. He takes the time to explain very clearly what is going on and always tempers our expectations. He is just clear and concise and we really appreciate that...is no nonsense. If you require hand holding and “feel good” fluff; he is likely not for you. But if you value accurate feedback and someone that really knows his stuff - I absolutely couldn’t recommend a better physician.
Spring Fertility is a beautiful space. Easy to get to and very peaceful to be in. I love how the main facility has everything there and there is no need for me to travel to different offices. They offer refreshments and snacks in the lobby with plenty of room to get comfortable...My nurses and coordinator were all amazing. Compassionate and very quick to get back to me when I had questions...Dr Tran is no nonsense. If you require hand holding and “feel good” fluff; he is likely not for you. But if you value accurate feedback and someone that really knows his stuff - I absolutely couldn’t recommend a better physician.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
when Dr Tran was at UCSF, he went out of his way to be the physician that handled my surgery, retrieval’s and transfers. Being at a teaching hospital, it is nearly impossible to expect your physician to do the actual procedures. But he’d rearrange his schedule and make sure he was there for all the major things that had to get done.
San Francisco
[Dr. Tran] took the time to understand our own personal situation, and made suggestions that were based on our factors. I really value that. It really felt like he was trying to tailor the process to what my husband and I wanted, not trying to fit us into a process that was available...I thought he was very knowledgeable and helpful, more so than other fertility doctors I met during my search. I am BRCA1 positive, which is a mutation that means an increased risk of breast cancer. Dr. Tran took this into consideration, and created a different medicine plan for me based on this factor. My doctors at other clinics haven't thought of this.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is very clean, efficient, in a great location. The staff is friendly and efficient, and very very nice. There are no downsides to the clinic that I have yet encountered, but I am early in my process...15000 for a cycle of IVF, and 5000 for the medicine in one cycle of IVF. 2000 for IUI + Chlomid...Dr. Tranh took the time to understand our own personal situation, and made suggestions that were based on our factors. I really value that. It really felt like he was trying to tailor the process to what my husband and I wanted, not trying to fit us into a process that was available...I thought he was very knowledgeable and helpful, more so than other fertility doctors I met during my search. I am BRCA1 positive, which is a mutation that means an increased risk of breast cancer. Dr. Tran took this into consideration, and created a different medicine plan for me based on this factor. My doctors at other clinics haven't thought of this.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr Tran has a very direct manner. He is not very warm. This matters not at all to me, because he is very smart, and the decisions that he steers us toward feel compassionate. His direct manner is something that works for me, but make sure it's the right thing for you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Onjira)
I am at the very beginning of my treatment and haven't had a chance to interact with them that much.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is very clean, efficient, in a great location. The staff is friendly and efficient, and very very nice. There are no downsides to the clinic that I have yet encountered, but I am early in my process.
San Francisco
Our interaction with Dr. Tran has been only one consultation and one 20 minute phone call. Both times, his communication, as expressed by others is very direct. He keeps things short and to the point. Usually, I prefer this style, but through the IVF process, I feel that he does not give enough info/explanation-- and his explanations are a bit too fast and simplistic for me...Mid luteal start-- I've tried asking the team multiple times and ways on why I'm scheduled this way (instead of Follicular(?) start) but, to my frustration, this is one of the things they have not provided good answer for. GonalF and menopur, Cetrotide, Leuprolide, and novarel.
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is super efficient, almost too much so. The nurses and coordinator would respond right away if there was anything critical and appointment related questions. However, when it comes to questions requiring more detailed explanation, I've had them completely ignore my emails (waiting over 4days), until I called them directly about the question. Also, questions have only been answered by nurses and coordinators. I have not received any emails from the doctors. Finally, their financing team has been terrible-- poor and confusing explanations of costs, and slow to respond.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I'm just treatment. I will have a better idea in a couple of weeks. Our interaction with Dr. Tran has been only one consultation and one 20 minute phone call. Both times, his communication, as expressed by others is very direct. He keeps things short and to the point. Usually, I prefer this style, but through the IVF process, I feel that he does not give enough info/explanation-- and his explanations are a bit too fast and simplistic for me.
The clinic is super efficient, almost too much so. The nurses and coordinator would respond right away if there was anything critical and appointment related questions. However, when it comes to questions requiring more detailed explanation, I've had them completely ignore my emails (waiting over 4days), until I called them directly about the question. Also, questions have only been answered by nurses and coordinators. I have not received any emails from the doctors. Finally, their financing team has been terrible-- poor and confusing explanations of costs, and slow to respond.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Spring Fertility.
See comments regarding Spring team communication.
Due to my age and likely poor egg quality, Dr. Tran advises transferring multiple eggs.

Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. Tran] is a hardcore scientist, so sometimes his bedside manner is a little abrupt, but I trust him to get the best results any doctor could. He did a midluteal start with letrozole for estrogen suppression. I couldn't find a single example of this protocol in literature, he crafts very individualized protocols. I got 11 blasts with AFC of 12, so it definitely worked. ... Expect his bedside manner to be a little cold, but he really does care about you and your success.
The office [Spring Fertility] is beautiful and comfortable I have a hard time with anesthesia, and their anesthesiologist did a great job. ... Onjira [nurse] was the only bad thing about my experience with Spring. She forgot to tell me to take the necessary antibiotics, prescribed the wrong dose of letrozole (I'm glad I remembered the dose my doctor mentioned during our appointment!), and did not reply to emails. ... The clinic was usually running behind, 20-45 minute wait most appointments ...
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
He is the smartest doctor I have ever met! He is a hardcore scientist, so sometimes his bedside manner is a little abrupt, but I trust him to get the best results any doctor could. He did a midluteal start with letrozole for estrogen suppression. I couldn't find a single example of this protocol in literature, he crafts very individualized protocols. I got 11 blasts with AFC of 12, so it definitely worked.
The clinic is busy and you're in and out quickly, but everytime I saw Tran he remembered what was going on with my treatment, and remembered what I told him was important to me.
He started stims 5 days after ovulation (midluteal, no birth control.) My starting doses were follistim 250u, menopur 150u, added cetrotide on day 7. He had me take letrozole 5mg daily throughout stims to keep my estrogen low. He did this to help prevent migraines, it was a freeze all cycle. I stimmed for 13 days and got 19 eggs, 16 mature, 11 made it to blast.
Onjira was the only bad thing about my experience with Spring. She forgot to tell me to take the necessary antibiotics, prescribed the wrong dose of letrozole (I'm glad I remembered the dose my doctor mentioned during our appointment!), and did not reply to emails. I would have to email, then call 2-3 times to get a really. It always took at least 2 business days for a reply.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Pros: I love Spring for Dr. Tran, he is a genius! The office is beautiful and comfortable I have a hard time with anesthesia, and their anesthesiologist did a great job. Complaints: I did not like/trust my nurse Onjira The clinic was usually running behind, 20-45 minute wait most appointments
An IVF freeze all cycle was $13,500 plus meds. A FET will be $4,500
We are planning an eSET in a few months.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
My nurse Onjira prescribed the wrong dose of letrozole. It didn't seem right, so I called the on call doctor before I took my first dose. Onjira also forgot to tell me to take antibiotics before retrieval, so they had to give me IV antibiotics the day of.

Success w/ Doc 19 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Nam Tran felt very professional and trustworthy, I felt comfortable going over facts and getting straight answers from him. I felt comfortable with him during the egg retrieval surgery, and afterwards, and things went as expected during my egg retrieval. ... my nurse [Spring Fertility] and Dr. didn't communicate with me about their recommendation that I discontinue birth control several months previous to egg retrieval. I had checked in a previous communication whether I should discontinue, but was reassured it would be alright. When I checked back in a few months later when the procedure would fit with my schedule, they told me to wait several months to get off of birth control before they would recommend me to begin treatments
The clinic [Spring Fertility] is clean, comfortable, and professional, each interaction I had went well and felt good. It would have been nice to know how many doctors/nurses I would interact with throughout the process, before we started off it felt a bit like a whirlwind of people and processes. ... Each nurse, care coordinator and staff member was quite good at their part of the process. It's just that there were so many of them, and different ones at different points along the process! This put me on edge because I felt like information could easily be forgotten along the way, and not passed down to the next person.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
I don't think I have anything that would be particularly useful I'm afraid! I was quite satisfied with Dr. Nam Tran
Whether I felt like a number or human was different at different points in my treatment. I rarely had the same doctor at my monitoring appointments for example, and it was difficult to know whether these doctors and nurses were speaking to one another behind the scenes. I thought each doctor individually had great bedside manner, but the communications felt quite disjointed, which made me feel a bit like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
The clinic is clean, comfortable, and professional, each interaction I had went well and felt good. It would have been nice to know how many doctors/nurses I would interact with throughout the process, before we started off it felt a bit like a whirlwind of people and processes.
$8500 for egg retrieval
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
my nurse and Dr. didn't communicate with me about their recommendation that I discontinue birth control several months previous to egg retrieval. I had checked in a previous communication whether I should discontinue, but was reassured it would be alright. When I checked back in a few months later when the procedure would fit with my schedule, they told me to wait several months to get off of birth control before they would recommend me to begin treatments
San Francisco

Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Ask good questions...[Dr. Nam Tran is] happy to explain things...felt strongly that we should transfer 3 based on my age and egg quality...retrieved 10, had 9 embryos. 3 very good ones and a handful of ok ones. None made it to freeze. Transferred 3 on day three resulted in twins...is efficient, so I only saw him briefly during most visits. However, he was very familiar with my case during each visit and I felt like he was genuinely invested in our conceiving.
I definitely felt like we got what we paid for...Spring is not your cheapest option. However, with the price tag came very good client treatment. I never had to wait for an appointment. Dr. Tran always came in exactly on time, was quick and efficient, and they had me out the door. I was traveling from outside of SF for treatment and I loved that they had very early morning appointments--it meant I missed very little work relative to the number of appointments I had. The office is neat, they offer nice amenities (snacks, coffee, etc.) to make your wait more pleasant. Staff were all extremely friendly and professional. I liked that we even got to meet the embryologist when it came time to transfer. I also used their on call number once and was grateful to speak with one of the doctors on call to make sure I was dosing my medications correctly. I definitely felt like we got what we paid for.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
Dr. Tran was always honest about our odds of conceiving. He was hopeful that it could work, but didn't offer false hope which I appreciated. He was good at explaining what he was doing and why. He seemed to have a good balance between using evidence-based methods and a willingness to try something else when that didn't work. He is fairly technical and clinical, but I think that's what you want: someone precise and exacting. In the end, we trusted him and when he was optimistic that a second round could yield better results than our first, we agreed. And he was right! Our second round was successful.
Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Ask good questions, he's happy to explain things. Trust that his number one goal is to help you conceive and he'll do what he can to make that happen.
Dr. Tran is efficient, so I only saw him briefly during most visits. However, he was very familiar with my case during each visit and I felt like he was genuinely invested in our conceiving.
Round one: started with lupron then was on 150 menopur, 225 gonal f for 4 days, then 150 of each for 4 days, then 75 menopur/150 gonal f for 1 day. Produced 14 follicles, 9 embryos, all poor quality by day 3. Transferred the best 3 on day 3, resulted in a chemical pregnancy with nothing left to freeze. Round 2: started on Aygestin then was on 150 each menopur and gonal f for 8 days, then 75 menopur/150 gonal f for 3 days, then 75 of each for last day. Also took HGH throughout. Began cetrotide last 4 days. This time he also cultured our embryos differently. This time retrieved 10, had 9 embryos. 3 very good ones and a handful of ok ones. None made it to freeze. Transferred 3 on day three resulted in twins.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Spring Fertility.
The staff were always courteous and efficient. We had an incident where meds weren't ordered in time which would have resulted in a delayed cycle (we ended up delaying for other reasons). Staff called us quickly afterward to find out what happened and ensured us it wouldn't happen again.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Dr. Tran felt strongly that we should transfer 3 based on my age and egg quality.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Spring Fertility.
We lived outside the same-day medication delivery area which I communicated multiple times. It still resulted in medications being ordered late and missing the delivery window which would have pushed back our cycle start date (we ended up taking that cycle off). They did follow up with their quality improvement folks to discuss what happened, which I appreciated.

Treated 2017 - 2018
He takes the time to check in and see how we're doing at every appointment. He doesn't EVER seem rushed to move on to another client. He is funny yet also takes the time to explain everything to us...Dr. Tran is a big believer in "less is more". We had a low dose of Menopur and Gonal-f for our stim cycle. ...He just sits back and listens when he needs to and asks probing questions when necessary. When our transfer didn't work, he called to check in and was sympathetic to our needs at that time.
How was your experience with Nam Tran at Spring Fertility?
With my other healthcare professionals, I call him my favorite nerd. He goes into so much detail if you ask questions and explains everything we want to know. He gets excited about how the numbers progress and even has little jokes about what is going on. I really appreciate his approach and expertise in the area. From our first meeting, I knew he was the right doctor for us. He is so knowledgeable and easy to talk to. There aren't many doctors that we interviewed that make you feel comfortable in an IVF clinic. Dr. Tran does that. He just sits back and listens when he needs to and asks probing questions when necessary. When our transfer didn't work, he called to check in and was sympathetic to our needs at that time. He took the time on a Friday night to explain what our next choices were and what we could do vs. what he suggests we do. I feel very well taken care of with Dr. Tran.
Be honest with him. He will, without a second thought, tell you what he thinks. I really appreciate his honesty.
Dr. Tran is a big believer in "less is more". We had a low dose of Menopur and Gonal-f for our stim cycle. He worked with my teaching schedule to plan our retrieval during my Christmas break. I felt less sick during my IVF cycle than I did on some of my IUI cycles. He would rather get 10 really great mature eggs and have all of them make it to freeze than 20 eggs, and an uncomfortable, broke patient, with similar results. We had a little set back when we began our cycle, I had two cysts and he immediately said it would impact our numbers and he was right. We were originally expecting 14-16 at retrieval. He explained to me how the cysts would impact the cycle and asked me how I would like to proceed. I always let him make the decisions as he's the expert we want to control our cycle. He went along with our cycle and we had 12 follicles, 10 mature, 8 fertilized-freeze. We transferred one at day 5. We still have 7 frozen and are going through a "natural" transfer cycle again on my timelines for spring break. He's amazing!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Spring Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allie)
Although I've only met Allie once at a difficult blood draw day, she was amazing and helpful then and every time I email/call. The rest of the nursing team, especially Susannah (she's who I see most of the mornings), is amazing! They're all there to support you and have a smile on their faces. They reassure you that everything's okay and help you understand when things are not.
Describe your experience with Spring Fertility.
Spring has such a great team. They are great at patient support when you're there with them. It has been tough to get ahold of the finance department when we need support, but eventually, we get in touch with them and they're amazing and give you all the information you need. We especially love the transparency of the pricing. There are clear costs up front that allow you to budget and make decisions based on your health and your financial situation up front without having to think about the extra costs that might come up. If we had any recommendations around that it would be to get the med package. It was fantastic to not have to think about how much each vial cost, and when we needed more they supported that process even when the vial costs went up during our cycle.
$14,500 for IVF then a $1000 teacher discount. They handled our medication package which was $3700 since I respond well to meds through Alto so it gets delivered same day. Our current FET costs $3250 with a discount because our previous failed fresh transfer.