Medical SchoolVanderbilt
206-301-5000
3209 S 23rd St.
Tacoma, WA 98405
206-301-5000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Nancy Klein to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Seattle Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Other
She [Dr. Nancy Klein] was excellent and was very patient and explained everything thoroughly. She was knowledgeable and had a plan for whatever course we were/are ready to pursue. She never pushed me to do any treatments we weren't ready for and was supportive of the research i'd done and allowed me to direct my next step(s) with her guiding me along. I highly recommend her
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
She was excellent and was very patient and explained everything thoroughly. She was knowledgeable and had a plan for whatever course we were/are ready to pursue. She never pushed me to do any treatments we weren't ready for and was supportive of the research i'd done and allowed me to direct my next step(s) with her guiding me along. I highly recommend her
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Don't be scared to tell her how and what you'd like done. She's very receptive to the research you've done and the course of treatment you see fit for your body. She's a strong advocate for listening to and knowing your own body
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
She listened to me and asked me which treatments I wanted to pursue and never pushed me to do more than I wanted. Very kind and knowledgeable.
Describe the protocols Nancy Klein used in your cycles at Seattle Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Weight loss (not required but recommended), levothyroxine (hypothyroidism), Femara, trigger shot, monthly ultrasounds and bloodwork. I ovulated successfully every month, got pregnant once but miscarried by angel at 6 weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at Seattle Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Latonya)
She is always quick to answer any questions I have and is very empathetic when a cycle has failed and she seems to genuinely care about me
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
I love everything about the clinic EXCEPT the one embryo transfer rule. They are compassionate, knowledgeable, flexible with their scheduling when I needed same day bloodwork or ultrasounds. They get bloodwork results back same day, and everything is posted on the online portal for future reference. The staff is kind, empathetic, and get to know you personally. They know me by name anytime I come in. The office is clean and professional and the music is calming
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
They billed most everything under my PCOS, so most bloodwork, ultrasounds, and medications were covered. Unfortunately, IUI and IVF will not be
Describe Nancy Klein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
When we pursue IVF, she will only allow 1 embryo to be transferred at a time. That is my biggest complaint and fear. I strongly feel and want to transfer 2.
Tacoma
Dr. Klein is compassionate, caring, and honest. She listens and makes sure to answer each and every question. She truly cares about you as a patient and is involved in each level of your treatment and plan. I needed to have surgery to remove my tubes, but the surgeon didn’t recommend surgery so she came up with an alternate plan and was encouraging even though I was disappointed I couldn’t have the surgery. I never felt like a “number,” she always knew the details of my history and treatment plan when we met.
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
I am so incredibly thankful for Dr Klein. Her compassion, honesty, caring, patience, and experience is second to none. My diagnosis is due to some very complex medical history and she took the time to understand my history. She was very honest about our options and how we could proceed. She was patient and understanding when we wanted to take some time between diagnosis and treatment to adjust our supplements, diet, and emotionally deal with our diagnosis. I was incredibly thankful she did my egg retrieval as she was able to discover some info on my anatomy that was helpful for my transfer. She didn’t do my transfer, but Dr Thyer was amazing and I felt very comfortable at transfer. Graduating from our clinic was bittersweet - I cried as we will truly miss Dr Klein!!!
Have a list of questions with you to ask and discuss! She takes the time to make sure you understand and all questions are answered. You can also send questions via the portal, she is very responsive!
As we did a freeze all cycle (we thought I’d need another surgery before transfer), she was a bit more aggressive with my dosing - 300 iu of gonal-f, 75 iu menopur, plus cetrotide. Dosed for 9 days. Ended up with 12 eggs, 10 were mature, 7 fertilized (with ICSI as my husband was 37 at the time), 2 embryos frozen and biopsied on day 5 and 1 embryo frozen and biopsied on day 6. 2 of the 3 embryos were normal (one from day 5, plus the day 6). Dr Klein said this was very normal/typical and we had adjusted my protocol if we needed to do a second round. We did not as our frozen transfer (3 months after retrieval) was successful and I’m pregnant (15 weeks, Singleton, single embryo transfer, all genetic tests are normal)! We still have one frozen embryo. My FET was medicated - with endometrin, PIO, and estradiol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Seattle Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shannon Jakubowski)
Shannon is an amazing nurse and advocate!!! I never felt uncomfortable calling her to ask a question or clarify my treatment plan. She is kind, caring, intelligent, and organized. She always called or messaged back (via the portal) right away. She reached out ahead of time to let me know when she would be out of the office and who was covering for her if I had questions. I was very impressed with her communication. The entire nursing staff was amazing as well - there was a PIO shortage after i got pregnant and the nurse who was covering for Shannon quickly called in another prescription to an alternative pharmacy and reassured me that the new pharmacy could fill the order. I also had other questions along the way, and they were always answered in a timely manner!
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
SRM is a large clinic with a number of docs, nurses, and staff, but I did NOT feel like a “number.” I felt our treatment was individualized and the clinic is a well-oiled machine. No, Dr Klein doesn’t do every ultrasound - but I was perfectly comfortable with the ultrasound techs. The techs were professional, experienced, and kind. I did have to take my own notes during the ultrasound (egg retrieval cycle) so I could tell my husband the follicle sizes, but the gals were very understanding and made sure I had everything I needed/wanted (including photos of my ovaries before retrieval!) the blood draw techs were amazing and I loved that I could go to Bellevue or Seattle depending on scheduling. It was so fun meeting with the embryologist on transfer day and we will forever cherish the picture we have of our embryo!!!
Frozen cycle: 11,950. FET: 3,500.
Dr Klein strongly recommended single embryo transfer as I have a ton of abdominal scars and scar tissue, and a twin pregnancy would be super high risk. I agreed and my OB was in 100% agreement - she was also against a multiple embryo transfer.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Strengths: kind, compassionate, smart, took my case seriously, utilized her peers to consult for advice on treatment, optimistic, very available and quick to respond to emails. Challenges: didn't every really change my treatment protocol, which after three failed retrievals I would of thought she would.... She [Dr. Klein] wasn't as aggressive as I would of liked. She never recommended any sort of supplements or anything. She was a little indifferent about my recurrent failure.
2 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Strengths: kind, compassionate, smart, took my case seriously, utilized her peers to consult for advice on treatment, optimistic, very available and quick to respond to emails. Challenges: didn't every really change my treatment protocol, which after three failed retrievals I would of thought she would, which is why I eventually left her. She wasn't as aggressive as I would of liked. She never recommended any sort of supplements or anything. She was a little indifferent about my recurrent failure.
She is good but if you have one or two failures with her I would seek advice from another clinic and doctor, one with a very good reputation for aggressive treatment.
She is very kind and caring.
The first two treatments were focused on stmulating the most possible eggs, which worked well, I indeed had many eggs. however, the issue was the egg quality as the embryos often began deteriorating on day 4-6 of development. The third cycle she took a different approach which was a less aggressive stimulation but longer, to see if that would improve the egg quality, but it did not have different results. I still had a high number of eggs retrieved and no good embryos as of day 5-6.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Seattle Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Hailey (last name?))
Strengths: informative, organized Challenges: indifferent with results, not a lot of compassion
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths: Professional, organized, clean. Challenges: I question their lab and how good it really is - the success rates arent very high, sometimes the medical assistants were insensitive to what was going on talking about babies and pregnancy (which was often hard to hear), I sometimes felt like a number not a person.
We spent about $45,000 out of pocket in 2017 for three rounds of IVF.
She had a very strong prefernce to only transfer one embryo at a time. She also never recommended PGS/D, so this was always something I disagreed with her about. She had the attitutde that PGS/D made no difference in the end, but in my mind it made a huge difference, as undergoing failed transfers because the embryo s bad is earth shattering. I think she doesn't quite realize the impact a failed transfer has on the psych.
What specific things went wrong at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Nancy Klein] advised IVF early on but because I knew more about IUI, I opted to try that several times first. Turns out, they were a waste of time and money and IVF was inevitable. I wish I would have listened to HER rather than friends/family/societal norms...Dr Klein was so warm and inviting and didn’t make me feel like my infertility was my fault. She presented many options, was patient and kind and had the highest standards for the care she provided. Though an extremely scientific process, Dr Klein never made my treatment feel too clinical or sterile.
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Be upfront with your goals and timelines if they are important to you. Listen to her advice and try not to get too far in the weeds of “what if’s”. She advised IVF early on but because I knew more about IUI, I opted to try that several times first. Turns out, they were a waste of time and money and IVF was inevitable. I wish I would have listened to HER rather than friends/family/societal norms.
Personal connection and human conversation. Never had to wait excessively long and always so accommodating to scheduling needs
Describe your experience with your nurse at Seattle Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kahlia Aposhian)
The IVF coordinator was absolutely the best part of the whole process. She was so kind and accommodating, offered every bit of support I could have asked for and really did get me through the whole thing relatively unscathed. One of the scariest parts of IVF aid the liming cost vs what insurance will cover. The staff and SRM was so incredible in getting me all the information , explaining it as many times as needed and presenting options.
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
SRM is pretty amazing. My one complaint is that it’s in a very dense part of the city without a lot of parking. There is an attached garage but when you are going several times a week, paying for parking (on top of an IVF cycle) got to be quite expensive.
Out of pocket, I think the cost for my cycle ended up being about $4k, but I had great insurance that had a $20k infertility lifetime coverage.
Dr Klein did recommend a single embryo transfer, which I was surprised by since you hear about so many IVF pregnancies with multiples.
2014 - 2017
Dr Klein has amazing follow through - emailing me back over weekends, sometimes late at night, once while she was on vacation! - that made me feel like she was tracking me closely and cared very much about my outcome. She is a doctor who keeps current and had always heard of the latest research, often knew the doctor or clinic publishing, that I had questions about which I really appreciated. I never feel rushed and always feel like I'm getting her best.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
We have 1 viable embryo left from a 2017 cycle. And are completely out of pocket so this is our last cycle. Knowing how much rides on this last FET, I recently brought her a list of additions to get her opinion. We went through each one and she helped me weigh the options and decide together on a course of treatment for FET that we feel comfortable with.
2014 cycle - Follistim 300, Menopur 75, Galenrlix. trigger on Day 9. 13 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertalized via ICSI, 4 made it to Day 5 to PGS test, 2 normal. First FET resulted in 7/2015 birth. Second FET in 2016 resulted in chemical. 2016 cycle - Gonal F 450, Menopur 75, Cetrotide. trigger on Day 9. 11 retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertalized with ICSI, 3 made it to Day 5 to PGS test. No normals. 2017 cycle - after being on supplements, some of which were recommended by Dr Klein. Follistim 450, Menopur 75, Ganerlix, trigger Day 9, 7 retrieved, 6 mature, 5 fertalized, 2 made it to Day 5, 1 normal. Because of my age (40), she felt the max dose was warranted. I was concerned that high meds impacted egg quality but she explained it's a numbers game - trying for as many eggs as possible because the number of normals declines rapidly as we age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Seattle Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Haley, Angie and Shannon)
I didn't connect with the first nurse we had. She seemed awefully young and didn't have the right emotional pitch. I mentioned it to Dr Klein and was reassigned right away. The nurses we had for the 2016 round and 2017 round were great.
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
When you call to make an appointment, there is sometimes a long wait. It's a crap shoot. When the wait is long, there's a recording "you are number X in the queue" which is annoying to hear. It's better now (16/17) than it was in 2014. Not sure what changed but seems like a simple thing to right-size.
$13K per retrieval and ICSI, $2500 for PGS testing, $4K for meds.
We were adamant we only transfer one at a time and did PGS to help improve our chances. She never tried to talk us out of our preferred approach.
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr Nancy Klein] was very happy to talk to us, we never felt rushed, even when the husband started talking about articles he'd read and wanted to know the nitty gritty biology stuff. She was friendly and kind during procedures...Ask lots of questions. If you want her to be involved in any treatments make sure you say that. Or at least find out the odds of whether or not she'd be the ones doing things like the IUI. I don't think she did any of the IUIs for us, which was fine, but it was a bit odd to see three different people each time.
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
She was very happy to talk to us, we never felt rushed, even when the husband started talking about articles he'd read and wanted to know the nitty gritty biology stuff. She was friendly and kind during procedures.
We met with her several times and she was very helpful and answered all of our questions. She seemed to know what she was talking about. The downside was that aside from speaking with her, I rarely saw her for any of our appointments.
We did about 3 cycles of clomid with Nancy, standard dose. When those didn't work we moved on to IUI with clomid for three cycles. I only needed the HCG shot for one of them I believe. We were going to move on to IVF but the cost and some marital difficulties put that on hold. We haven't been back since.
Everyone seemed very kind and helpful. The person who answered the phones when SRM was closed was less so, but I don't think she was actually affiliated with them.
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
While I was primarily at the Tacoma branch I did visit the Seattle branch several times since it was by my office and open on weekends. The Tacoma branch is nicer. Everyone seemed quite friendly, but not intrusive. There were clearly women who'd been going for a long time and seemed well known by clinic staff. Staff working on the weekends can be kind of grouchy sometimes.
Nothing was covered by health insurance after a diagnosis of infertility. I think it was probably about $1000/visit on average. Costs for IVF, which we didn't go through, seemed on par with the market, probably too expensive for us. So appointment visit, iui, sperm analysis, HCG shot were the typical charges.
What specific things went wrong at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
2013 - 2015
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Nancy [Klein] is a very caring person and a professional. She is a mother of 4 and really listened to what I wanted. She took the information I gave her and quickly put in place a plan to achieve our goals. I had complete confidence in her and her team.
2013 - 2015
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Nancy is a very caring person and a professional. She is a mother of 4 and really listened to what I wanted. She took the information I gave her and quickly put in place a plan to achieve our goals. I had complete confidence in her and her team. Her partners made me feel very comfortable, but I am glad she is my primary physician.
Tell her exactly what you want. How many kids ideally. She will be truthful about your odds etc.
I spoke with Nancy Klein on the phone a couple of times before meeting her. We live in a different state. She is a busy woman in a busy practice. I didn't always see her personally when I was out in Seattle for different steps of the IVF process. I really liked her demeanor and personality and trusted her partners I saw while having my eggs retrieved and implanted. The patient coordinator is the person whom I really spoke to most and helped walk me through the day-to-day steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Seattle Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Sullivan and Lindsay Craig )
Since I lived in another state, I spoke with my care coordinator a lot! She was instrumental in answering all my scheduling and pharmaceutical questions. And every other question I had. They were always friendly and extremely prompt in returning my call. My experience would not have been the same without them!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
I lived in another state and had my appointments at a local clinic
Seattle
She [Dr. Klein] is a candid and knowledgeable physician...She definitely was candid about why I should go to IVF. She recommended it right away which troubled me. I ended up seeing another fertility doctor to get a second opinion and ended up TTC naturally for several months afterwards. Finally. I have decided to go on the IVF journey...Do I wish I took her advice earlier? Of course I do. I probably would have been pregnant by now...
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
She is a candid and knowledgable physician.
Try and be well informed about your the whole IVF process; it helps to do your homework before meeting with her.
She definitely was candid about why I should go to IVF. She recommended it right away which troubled me. I ended up seeing another fertility doctor to get a second opinion and ended up TTC naturally for several months afterwards. Finally. I have decided to go on the IVF journey. Should I have listened to her to begin with? I took a gamble with spending close to $30000 or TTC naturally (well, with Letrazole) for several more months. I lost that gamble. Do I wish I took her advice earlier? Of course I do. I probably would have been pregnant by now.
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
They are organized and could easily say how much something would cost. You do feel like bit of a number though.
2009 - 2011
Dr. Klein was very sensitive to our situation having come from another Doctor/clinic where we had not had a good experience. Just a very smart, caring doctor who treated us like people and not a statistic.
2009 - 2011
How was your experience with Nancy Klein at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Wonderful!! She was very sensitive to our situation having come from another Doctor/clinic where we had not had a good experience. Just a very smart, caring doctor who treated us like people and not a statistic.
From the moment you walked in the door, you were greeted with a friendly smile. They knew your name and made you feel comfortable. This continued on through-out the entire care we received there.