Nurse available by email
Not available by direct line
Medical SchoolKing Edward Med Col
ResidencyCook County Hosp
FellowshipRush U. Med Ctr
2425 W 22nd St
Oakbrook, IL 60611
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Nasir Rana to a friend?
5.7

5.8

3.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Medicine Institute to a friend?
Dr. Rana was helpful during our initial consult in explaining why my husband's sperm count and motility pretty much necessitated IVF. That was the most informative conversation i got through this process..when I had concerns about my mental wellbeing and questions about exercising during the process for my mental health, Dr. Rana didn't seem to understand why I would want to exercise for reasons other than weight loss. I was feeling down and frustrated and like I needed more information and support. However he simply referred me to an acupuncturist, and I didn't feel entirely supported or heard.
How was your experience with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
Dr. Rana was helpful during our initial consult in explaining why my husband's sperm count and motility pretty much necessitated IVF. That was the most informative conversation i got through this process. However, when I had concerns about my mental wellbeing and questions about exercising during the process for my mental health, Dr. Rana didn't seem to understand why I would want to exercise for reasons other than weight loss. I was feeling down and frustrated and like I needed more information and support. However he simply referred me to an acupuncturist, and I didn't feel entirely supported or heard.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
Advocate for yourself. Ask lots of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
I felt that I had little information about this process. I skipped over IUI and straight to IVF, so perhaps my team felt I understood more than I did. I got a phone call at 4:45pm on a Friday the first time I was told to do injections, and felt I had zero support. Throughout the process I learned I needed to ask far more questions, because I felt the information they provided me was not sufficient. I did have a consultation with Dr. Rana after our first failed transfer, and I appreciated the time he took to meet with me. However, I didn't always feel like my concerns were being fully heard.
Describe the protocols Nasir Rana used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine Institute and their degree of success.
I had to do a round of birth control before each cycle. For my Stim cycle, I was on Follistim, Menopur, and Ganirelix. I also had to do Doxycycline before each transfer. For my frozen transfer I was on two pills of Estrace twice a day and PIO. For my fresh transfer it was only one Estrace pill 2x day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine Institute. (Assigned nurse: Krystyna)
My coordinator, Krystyna, is okay. She responds to calls quickly, but I do wish I had a direct extension to be able to reach her. I also haven't had much facetime with her, other than when we were first getting started and when we have to sign paperwork. But, it's actually the nursing staff during the retrieval and transfers are the ones I like best. They're much more approachable and informative, and have a friendlier demeanor.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
I'm still undergoing treatment with RMI, so I am unable to write a full review of the entire process. That said, there are some things I like and some things I don't. I don't always feel a great connection with the people on my care team. The most caring and compassionate nurses and staff I've encountered are actually people I've worked with when they were covering for someone else. I often felt like I wanted more information than was provided for me, and felt very alone in the process. I tried my best to stay away from the internet and only go off instructions from my actual doctor/nurse, but sometimes that was extremely hard because I didn't feel well informed. There are great staff members, though. I love the phlebotomist -- she's always cheerful and will pick the colored gauze to match your outfit that day. I also have almost always been able to get an early enough appointment to get my bloodwork done before work, which is appreciated. The communication can feel lacking, and I do sometimes feel like I would like a more personal touch. The medical parts of this process have gone very well so far; it's just the emotional support that feels lacking. Finally, I have heard from friends at smaller clinics that while they know their team very well, the doctor will only perform transfers every three months -- I could not handle that, and I am grateful that RMI works with the schedule that's best for me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute.
My insurance covered nearly all of the procedure, other than embryo storage, once my deductible was met.
Describe Nasir Rana's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine Institute.
My doctor recommended "1 or 2" embryos, and I selected 1 both times, for my fresh and frozen transfer. If this cycle doesn't work, I will do 2 next time. I think Dr. Rana prefers two, but when I told him I'd prefer 1, he didn't push one way or another.
Oakbrook

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute.

Dr. Rana's biggest strength is his experience and ability to clearly communicate each step of the process. He is direct which helped us a great deal but could be offputting to patients who would prefer a more delicate approach. At no point did I feel I was under the care of an uninformed doctor. His greatest weakness, in my opinion, is how he communicates. ... I believe that if we needed to ask more or had more details to discuss, it would have been more difficult.
How was your experience with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
Dr. Rana's biggest strength is his experience and ability to clearly communicate each step of the process. He is direct which helped us a great deal but could be offputting to patients who would prefer a more delicate approach. At no point did I feel I was under the care of an uninformed doctor. His greatest weakness, in my opinion, is how he communicates. As we were told and observed during the first cycle, our case had little to no complications and did not require a lot of explaining. I believe that if we needed to ask more or had more details to discuss, it would have been more difficult.
Research the entire process so that you can ask him direct questions during the consultation. Also, if you know that you will require a doctor who is more sensitive, he may not be the ideal fit.
Working with Dr. Rana, I definitely felt more like a human than a number. I am unable to say, unequivocally, that I felt completely human under his care because the consultation felt a bit "paint by numbers" while discussing our needs. I believe if we had more questions to ask, he would have answered them with no issue. However, there have been moments where I feel he has been doing this work for so long that we all just sort of bleed into each other and don't stand out as unique patients.
We used an Antagonist Protocol for our first cycle. The medications included 7 days of Follistim and Menopur for the first 7 days, and Ganirelix was added from days 8-13 as well as several days following the egg retrieval. We used Novarel for the HCG injection shot. The rationale was not explained to us at all but we were provided with details on what injections to take and when via our portal following each blood draw and exam.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine Institute. (Assigned nurse: Huma and Krystyna)
Huma, Dr. Rana's primary nurse, has been amazing. She is available to answer questions and direct us to the appropriate member of our care team. Honestly, we communicate with her much more than Dr. Rana. Krystyna, our IVF coordinator, has also been great. She is direct with all of her communication and clearly explained what we need to do in each step of the process.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
Clinic's Strengths: Well organized and accommodating to your work schedule Clinic's Weakness: Phone system that only allows for calling one main line and being transferred. This is especially unhelpful if you receive a call from someone when the office is technically closed and the main phone lines go to their answering service. I have never experienced longer than necessary wait times or felt that it was a hassle to schedule my appointments. Everyone is incredibly friendly and remembers you as a patient, which is probably due to how frequently they see you in a week!
$2700 out-of-pocket costs for IVF with PGS/PGD $250 out-of-pocket costs for prescriptions Insurance covered a great deal of our first cycle
We have discussed multiple embryo transfer as an option with Dr. Rana but are waiting to discuss further after our second (and hopefully last!) IVF cycle.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
For the times I saw Dr. Rana (only for the initial consultation, on the day of the egg retrieval, and for the WTF appointment), he was patient with our questions and seemed interested in finding something that should work for us. The ins-and-outs of recommendations for drug dosages, etc., also seemed very tailored to what was happening with me. However, there were times when he was pretty insensitive (at WTF appointment told me we'd all be happier if I didn't cry).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
Don't expect tons of communication directly from Dr. Rana - instead you'll deal mostly with his assistant/the nurses.
While actually speaking with Doctor Rana and some of the nurses at the clinic, I felt very much like a human - but at times with scheduling or regular lab visits, I felt like I was being cycled in/out amongst hundreds.
Dr. Rana uses an antagonist protocol - the drugs I used first cycle were 3 weeks of birth control suppression, followed by stimming with Folistim, Menopur, and Ganirelix, with an HcG trigger. This resulted in 1 egg that was mature, but did not fertilize (out of ~7 good sized follicles). He said the other follicles were either empty, or the eggs were of such poor quality they broke up upon retrieval. In my current (second) cycle, he increased the dosages of Folistim/Menopur, and added some HcG microdosing throughout the cycle. We did no suppression beforehand. Haven't done retrieval yet, but my follicle and E2 numbers are higher so far this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine Institute.
I had a care coordinator who dealt with paperwork/ordering medications (Krystyna), who was very helpful and on top of everything. Other than that, I had the same nurses for ultrasounds/bloodwork 90% of the time. They were both friendly, though the ultrasound tech was always a little reticent.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
I think this clinic has the benefit of not being one of the HUGE players in the Chicagoland area, so its not as crowded and is a little more personal. They also share offices with specialists in Endometriosis, so if you have that as a complication, it's probably an excellent place to go.
My costs for my first cycle were greatly covered by insurance, so I don't have a good answer for others.
Dr. Rana highly suggested single embryo transfer in most cases, citing the reduced success in live births with multiples. However, he did say that he might encourage multiple transfer in certain situations (advanced age, low embryo quality, others)

2013 - 2016
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Immunological
Dr Rana always listened. He would always validate my questions and suggestions for changes, but also take parts of what I said and try to incorporate them into the next parts of treatment. I always did my research and knew what we were discussing since it was my body that we were manipulating to get the results we needed. He always made me feel empowered by information which I appreciated!
2013 - 2016
How was your experience with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
I wouldn't be where I am today, with a toddler running around and 32 weeks pregnant without him. His compassion for patients and willingness to listen to all of my ideas was always appreciated. He remembered details about our personal life and always had amazing bed side manner.
Be open to suggestions but also be prepared with knowledge. Dr Rana always listened to all of my suggestions and questions and answered each and everyone!
Our first cycle we did the tropical lupron down regulation. That resulted in only 3 eggs, all mature and fertilized, but only 2 transferred on day 3 (chemical). Second ivf we used an antagonist protocol and got 6 eggs, 6 mature, 6 fertilized, 4 blastocysts, transferred 2, froze 2, started as twins, lost one at 8 weeks (resulted in singleton birth. Third ivf antagonist protocol, got 14 eggs, 10 mature, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts, transferred 2, froze 2, resulted in singleton pregnancy (32 weeks).
Amazing! They were always compassionate, caring, and great listeners. I never felt rushed, although I know they were extremely busy. They would remember to ask the doctor questions that I had, and always posted my results in a timely manner. They were happy with good news and grieved with us for the not so good news. They felt like family and it was difficult to leave them to transfer to the OB
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
There typically wasn't a long wait for appointments, which I appreciated. I didn't initially understand that you didn't see the doctor for monitoring appointments and would have liked to know that, but in a large clinic it seems to be the norm. The office was always clean and efficient.
We were extremely fortunate that out insurance covered a lot of the procedures and treatment. Otherwise it was billed through them and you could pay by phone or portal (Internet access)
Oakbrook

He [Dr. Nasir Rana] was very dismissive of us because we proved to have a complicated case. He also proceeded with a transfer where we lost 2 embryos that we should have not proceeded with due to liquid in the uterus... We did menopur and follistim for retrieval. Got 5 blasts. Estrogen priming and progesterone injections for FETs. 2 FET cycles were canceled. The other had complications and we proceeded anyway. The doctor didn't make us aware of the risks, which would have changed what we did that cycle. It failed and we lost two embryos
How was your experience with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
He was very dismissive of us because we proved to have a complicated case. He also proceeded with a transfer where we lost 2 embryos that we should have not proceeded with due to liquid in the uterus
See someone else. He may be good for cut and dry cases but he is not good for anything more complicated.
He was not interested in trying new things because my case turned out to be not as cut and dry as first assessed. He canceled two transfer cycles due to thin lining and then randomly brought up surrogates because I couldn't hit 10 mm, but had hit 8mm every cycle.
They were really great for ultrasound and blood work appointments, but not great when we got bad news
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
It's very clean and has a nice setup. I just didn't like the care I received. I did like the fact that I could go to the same place for procedures and for random appointments. But I do not like the way I felt like a number and the way I was dismissed when it became obvious my case wasn't as cut and dry as they wanted it to be
Covered by insurance mostly, so I'm not sure
He advised us to transfer 2 since we didn't PGS test
Oakbrook

We only heard from the dr [Rana] once when we first met and once when we told them we were thinking of switching clinics. ... Then when the second cycle didn’t work, he seemed to blame us. ... At first we were very confident he was the right choice, but after not hearing out our concerns when we asked to switch meds for second cycle, we lost hope. ... He started me on metformin for pcos and then Myo inositol. After my cycle regulated, we did 2 IUIs with clomid and trigger shot.
How was your experience with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
At first we were very confident he was the right choice, but after not hearing out our concerns when we asked to switch meds for second cycle, we lost hope. Then when the second cycle didn’t work, he seemed to blame us.
Get a second opinion. Even if it’s from a different dr at RMI
It was very difficult to get questions answered. Nursing and billing were not always on the same page. We only heard from the dr once when we first met and once when we told them we were thinking of switching clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine Institute.
The communication was very poor. Questions weren’t answered. Sometimes questions were answered with a bit of an attitude.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
Strength- the front desk and phlebotomy nurse staff were great. Weakness- communication. We felt many times that our questions were not answered and we would have to call a few times just to get a simple question answered. Also, tests were billed incorrectly by nursing staff so we paid out of pocket for almost every single test before our IUIs even started.
A lot. We had a lot of billing issues with test being miscoded
Oakbrook

Dr. rana is great, he seems to actually care and when we have met with him has been very thorough and understanding. As someone with a medical background, it was important that our RE seemed up to date and customized his treatment plan to our needs. ... Dr. Rana is always very kind and makes me feel like he actually cares about my treatment ... The decision [eset approach] was completely up to us
How was your experience with Nasir Rana at Reproductive Medicine Institute?
Be prepared to call the nurses and stay on top of your own treatment plan.
IUI with letrozole IVF retrieval with injectables -follistim, menopur, ganirelix, HCG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine Institute. (Assigned nurse: Huma )
The nurses are all very nice, the IVF coordinated Krystyna is kind of difficult to deal with and not very compassionate
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine Institute.
One of the main strengths is the convenience, I’m usually in and out for all of my monitoring appts. The IVF coordinator Krystyna is kind of abrasive and harder to reach. Overall the pros outweigh the cons
I was a Cash patient so all of the costs were out of pocket. We paid about $10l
The decision was completely up to us