4.3

88 Sutter St
San Francisco, CA 94104
628.777.7064

2021, 11 Eggs Frozen
I met the doctor [Dr. Nastaran Foyouzi] on the day of retrieval. She was very warm during pre-op. During post-op, she brought up the question of why I was freezing eggs instead of embryos. I felt that wasn't the appropriate time to talk to me about that as obviously we couldn't change course at that point for the cycle. I had talked to the physician's assistant about this previously, so I felt it was a poor choice to bring this up as I was just recovering from the procedure.
The [Kindbody San Francisco] clinic is very clean and aesthetically pleasing. I mainly chose it because it offers a very affordable egg freezing cycle... They made my partner and I feel welcome (we are LGBTQ) and my partner was able to come back with me for all my appointments which was huge for us...Angela was my nurse and she was amazing. She was very maternal and I felt like she was taking good care of me.
How was your experience with Nastaran Foyouzi at Kindbody San Francisco?
I believe the doctor is very competent and warm and set our minds at ease before the procedure. As I mentioned previously, my main complaint is that she broached a complicated subject matter that had already been discussed with the physician's assistant with my partner and me during post-op. It didn't feel like a good time and it felt like she was putting a damper on what we had just achieved with the retrieval by saying we should have frozen embryos instead, which wasn't an option for us at that point. I also think that I was started off on too high a dose of gonadotropins given my fertility. I'm coming to the fertility clinic as an LGBTQ person, not as a person with infertility. At the first monitoring appointment, they saw that some eggs were growing quite big, so they lowered my dose of medication, but I think we may have gotten a bigger cohort of eggs if I had been started on a more moderate dose.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nastaran Foyouzi at Kindbody San Francisco?
Research the medication protocols to make sure the protocol given seems appropriate for you, given your age, fertility markers, and any diagnoses you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nastaran Foyouzi at Kindbody San Francisco?
I met the doctor on the day of retrieval. She was very warm during pre-op. During post-op, she brought up the question of why I was freezing eggs instead of embryos. I felt that wasn't the appropriate time to talk to me about that as obviously we couldn't change course at that point for the cycle. I had talked to the physician's assistant about this previously, so I felt it was a poor choice to bring this up as I was just recovering from the procedure.
Describe the protocols Nastaran Foyouzi used in your cycles at Kindbody San Francisco and their degree of success.
I did an egg freezing cycle and they chose a Luteal start for me. I believe they chose this due to my age (38 y.o.) and trying to get the most eggs possible. It was an agonist protocol, I believe, as I was started on Menopur (75 units) and Gonal-F (175 units). At the first monitoring appointment, they saw that some of the eggs were growing quickly and larger than the rest, so they lowered my dose of Gonal-F slightly (I'm not sure by how much). I never took an antagonist like Cetrotide, although they did have me buy that and I had it on hand. I was only stimulated for 8 days and then triggered the next night. The trigger was Novarel (5,000) and they had me do a Gonal-F booster of 450 units with the trigger. My stimulation period was on the shorter side (only 8 days) because the lead follicles were getting too large and they didn't want them to become too mature for retrieval. I originally had an AFC for the cycle of 21, but only 14 eggs were retrieved because the rest were too small. Of the 14 retrieved, 11 were mature.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kindbody San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Angela Cheung)
Angela was my nurse and she was amazing. She was very maternal and I felt like she was taking good care of me. She was very responsive and called me on the weekend, at night, etc. I could reach her and the team at any time with questions. She gave me really good advice for avoiding OHSS in terms of diet and electrolytes. I was a little concerned afterwards that I was still bloated for many days, but when I contacted them, she told me it would be relieved after my period, which it was. I would have liked to have known that ahead of time, though.
Describe your experience with Kindbody San Francisco.
The clinic is very clean and aesthetically pleasing. I mainly chose it because it offers a very affordable egg freezing cycle. The coordinator helped me a lot with getting the most affordable medications as well, which I really appreciated. She sent my prescription to several pharmacies so I could get different quotes. They made my partner and I feel welcome (we are LGBTQ) and my partner was able to come back with me for all my appointments which was huge for us. My mom also got to come back with me at one of my monitoring appointments! They were easy to get in contact with and all the pricing was very straightforward. I went back recently for an OBGYN visit recently and they were running about 15 minutes behind. I had to reschedule my appointment. But outside of that experience, they were always on time and fast during the egg freezing cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nastaran Foyouzi at Kindbody San Francisco.
The egg freezing cycle was about $7,000. The medications, which I qualified for discounts for, were under $2,000.
Describe Nastaran Foyouzi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kindbody San Francisco.
I didn't do any embryo transfer.

2020, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Foyouzi] had a great bedside manner and was very invested in our journey...She would call me personally to give us updates on our fertilization/embryo growth progress. She also spoke with colleagues outside the clinic to talk about my endo and to get their opinions on my protocol. Honestly, we probably would have stuck with her if she was at a different clinic...
They [Kindbody San Francisco] have a whatsapp where you can actually just message your nurse which is great. She [nurse] always found me some MDR coupons to use fro medication too, which was so nice...We were starting to get pushed to egg donation after only 2 cycles, which felt a little fast. They never recommended any supplements or helpful ideas, just to cut down my stress and see a therapist to help with anxiety...
How was your experience with Nastaran Foyouzi at Kindbody San Francisco?
She was lovely. Really invested in us. She would call me personally to give us updates on our fertilization/embryo growth progress. She also spoke with colleagues outside the clinic to talk about my endo and to get their opinions on my protocol. Honestly, we probably would have stuck with her if she was at a different clinic.
She's great. But if she's still at Kindbody, pass.
She had a great bedside manner and was very invested in our journey. I talked to her on the phone many times, and I like that she called me personally. We have since switched clinics to have access to a proven lab. We never made any good, tested, day 5 blasts. Our gripes lie primarily with the Kindbody company (so much miscommunication) and practices themselves. We are also concerned that they don't release their lab numbers. We also had a big issue with the embryologist, who thought it was a good idea to message me directly and straight up tell me "something must be wrong with my eggs because your husbands sperm are fine" in a REALLY thoughtless email. The receptionist also let my husbands sperm sit untouched on the front desk for over an hour before our second retreival. We expressed our discomfort with that and were just told "oh it's fine." Super strange and off putting.
Menopur + Follistim the first round, added HGH the second time, with a lupron start. She wanted to calm my endo before stimulation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kindbody San Francisco. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Wiley )
Rachel was wonderful. They have a whatsapp where you can actually just message your nurse which is great. She always found me some MDR coupons to use fro medication too, which was so nice.
Describe your experience with Kindbody San Francisco.
To be blunt, there are no strengths. Kindbody feels like an egg freezing scam, and IVF is an afterthought. They don't release their lab numbers (or they didn't at the time I was there) and I wish we would have known how important the lab is before we spent so much money with no result. On our second round, we weren't given any gradings of our embryos, and I got the WORST message from an embryologist I had never even spoken to before. They left my husband's sperm on the front desk for over an hour before my second retrieval.
We did the two cycle package. We spent about 35k all said and done after medications and embryo testing.
They only do 1 transfer at a time as a practice, which is what we would choose anyway.
What specific things went wrong at Kindbody San Francisco?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kindbody San Francisco.
We never grew any successful day 5 embryos after two rounds. Leaving my husband's sperm out on the counter for so long was really off-putting. There was just a lot of miscommunication. At one point, they sent my trigger instructions that said I should be on antibiotics, but I pointed that out since they hadn't mentioned it and they said "oh good catch, we'll take that out for next time, just ignore it." When we requested they send all of my information and history to CCRM, it took a super long time, and I had to follow up and remind them a bunch. It was just a headache. We were starting to get pushed to egg donation after only 2 cycles, which felt a little fast. They never recommended any supplements or helpful ideas, just to cut down my stress and see a therapist to help with anxiety. We switched clinics to CCRM. I didn't respond super well to my first protocol, so instead of retrieval, we pivoted and did an IUI. It actually worked and I got pregnant with twins. one stopped developing at 9 weeks, and we ended up losing our girl at a little over 20 weeks. I had previa and an abruption, and I bled basically my entire pregnancy. At a certain point, my membranes ruptured and I went into early labor. They have determined none of this was a problem with our daughter, just the placenta. And there was nothing wrong with it, just a really badly placed blood vessel and the fact that she was so low lying. I mention this to say that while I may not have many eggs retrieved per cycle, I can definitely get pregnant. Kindbody said an IUI would be pointless and pushed us to IVF right away.