Austin Fertility Institute

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolUniversity of Texas
ResidencyUniversity of Texas
FellowshipUniversity of North Carolina
2200 Park Bend Drive
Austin, TX 78758
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Natalie Crawford to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Austin Fertility Institute to a friend?
Dr. Crawford is so incredibly compassionate, especially when delivering bad news. You could tell that it was difficult for her to even have to give us the bad news, but she answered every question we possibly could have had and was available via email....She welcomed our input even when it came to treatment protocols. For example, I responded very poorly to lupron and had a lot of side effects ... I felt hesitant to even discuss that I did not want to do another lupron cycle, but when I expressed my hesitation she agreed.
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
She was extremely knowledgeable and could provide evidence behind almost everything as it related to IVF. I could not have asked for a better doctor to guide us through our first few cycles of IVF. She welcomed our input even when it came to treatment protocols. For example, I responded very poorly to lupron and had a lot of side effects ... I felt hesitant to even discuss that I did not want to do another lupron cycle, but when I expressed my hesitation she agreed. She was always upbeat and positive, but also realistic. After our first egg retrieval ended with only 1 embryo, we changed strategies from embryo banking to just trying to have 1 baby. I'm glad we were all on the same page the whole way through.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
Ask her any questions that you may have, because her answers are based on extensive knowledge and will make you feel more at ease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
Describe the protocols Natalie Crawford used in your cycles at Austin Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
First was antagonist protocol with gonalF, menopur, ganirelex and ovidrel trigger. Made it to egg retrieval with 6 eggs retrieved, only 1 embryo (PGS abnormal). Due to concern that maybe the follicles were growing quickly and weren't used to the stimulation, OCP and lupron was added the 2nd cycle (started at 10 units, then tapered to 5). Also added HGH for possibly an increase in number of follicles. Had horrible side effects to lupron ... would feel feverish, chills, aches. There was only 1 dominant follicle so we did IUI that failed. 3rd cycle was the normal antagonist protocol with HGH. Follicles did not respond to medication at all and that cycle was cancelled.
Loved all of the nurses at AFI. Just like Dr. Crawford, they were knowledgeable and compassionate. The only downside was the difficulty in reaching them via phone because it is such a busy practice.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Would have been nice to meet with a financial coordinator to walk us through the costs of IVF and how insurance related to our out of pocket costs. The lady who handles their insurance told us at our last visit that we needed to pay several thousand dollars out of pocket because our insurance benefits had run out, but we told her that we had an HRA and we also had a credit... and then she confirmed that (but only after we mentioned it). Loved that the lab was in house and they would even be able to run the labs on the weekends.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute.
From what I can recall, each ultrasound monitoring appointment was around 180 (based on the contracted rate with my insurance), which was approx $1000 in the first cycle. The surgical center costs were the bulk of what we had to pay out of pocket. It was approximately $4000 for the egg retrieval/lab and $4000 for PGS testing.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility Institute?
Austin Park Bend
She [Dr. Crawford] is incredibly knowledgable, up to date in the latest research/technology/procedures, personable, and upbeat without giving a false sense of hope...Dr. Crawford remembered exactly who we were each time we saw her...I ended up being one of the "lucky" folks to suffer from severe OHSS (even though my #s did not indicate I would be at risk), and she did not rest until I was feeling better, including communicating with me at 6am.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Prefer not to answer
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
She is incredibly knowledgable, up to date in the latest research/technology/procedures, personable, and upbeat without giving a false sense of hope. Please see my comments under why I felt like a human for more specific examples.
Trust her. I didn't want to have the saline sonogram that she recommended because I had recently had an HSG performed elsewhere. While she was willing to work with me for 1 cycle without doing the sonogram as I was concerned about costs, I ultimately decided to trust her. Very glad I did as we found 2 uterine polyps that the HSG had not detected.
Dr. Crawford remembered exactly who we were each time we saw her - including what my career is and the fact that it might mean needing to schedule appointments at very specific times. She greeted us with a smile every time we saw her except for the times when we it was more appropriate to greet us with compassion during a difficult time in our treatment. I ended up being one of the "lucky" folks to suffer from severe OHSS (even though my #s did not indicate I would be at risk), and she did not rest until I was feeling better, including communicating with me at 6am. We always came in with a list of questions which were pleasantly answered, and yet Dr. Crawford managed to schedule her appointments with enough time inbetween to be respectful of our other time commitments - I rarely waited more than 15 minutes to be seen. They built their practice to recognize people have lives outside of this endeavor, making it possible to have blood drawn at their office rather than running around town. In addition to Dr. Crawford's incredible bedside manner, her support team was equally up to the task, answering questions with a pleasant demeanor, recognizing my severe needle anxiety and walking me through administrating it without judgment.
I forget the name of the protocol, but it included starting with birth control, then using Gonal F and menopur, later adding ganirelix, and using ovidrel as a trigger. This had to do with the fact that I ovulated regularly and she thought this would produce the highest quantity of eggs within a safe range. We ended up with 18 eggs harvested, 18 embryos being fertilized with ICSI, with 9 of them making it to day 5/6. We did a freeze all because even though my estrogen was below 3000, I still developed severe OHSS. We then elected to do a SET starting with Estrogen pill and patch and progesterone pill and crinone, switching to PIO after my progesterone levels were borderline (she likes them higher for IVF patients than what one might see if one conceived the old fashioned way to lower the risk of miscarriage.
Incredibly friendly. Sometimes the blood draw was more painful than how I've experienced it elsewhere, but the folks were very friendly and the convenience was worth it. Calls were always returned within 24 hours, paperwork requested for financial assistance filled out in a timely manner, questions pleasantly answered.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Scheduling appointments and billing were super easy. Never felt like I was being upsold. The clinic they partner with is just next door and the team there was equally amazing, compassionate, and kind. We are incredibly grateful to the team at Viviere for how we were treated during my OHSS episode.
Procedures and Physician Fees: Follicle Monitoring- $1500, Oocyte Aspiration- $1500, Embryo Transfer- $750. ICSI included. Storage for first year included; $500 year after that. Vivere Health: Lab fee- $5250, Anesthesia fee- $500, Oocyte Retrieval- $1250, Embryo Transfer- $1250 Frozen Embryo Transfer- Ultrasounds and labs- $750, Embryo Transfer- $750 Austin Fertility Lab fee- $500 Facility Fees- $1250 Meds were approximately $6k for retrieval cycle and approximately $2k for FET.
Describe Natalie Crawford's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Austin Fertility Institute.
She didn't seem to have a strong preference; she explained the statistical likelihood of different outcomes. We felt fairly strongly about only transferring 1 embryo given my age, size, and the statistics she presented to us.
Austin Park Bend
She [Dr. Natalie Crawford] was very warm, explained answers to our basic science questions well, and helped us understand the plan with the highest chance of success. After a very quick miscarriage, she was incredibly gentle and gave us time and encouragement for when we were ready... She was very warm, very honest and straightforward about our options, and when we had a negative interaction right before a critical step, she came in and reassured us we were on the right path
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
She was very warm, explained answers to our basic science questions well, and helped us understand the plan with the highest chance of success. After a very quick miscarriage, she was incredibly gentle and gave us time and encouragement for when we were ready.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Be honest and ask any question, she'll answer and have your back.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Natalie Crawford used in your cycles at UNC Fertility and their degree of success.
The dosage stayed relatively low and there was still very high growth. A cyst on one side of my ovaries actually came in handy because it reduced the overall number of eggs growing. The amount of drugs I was prescribed matched very well with what I ordered in advance so there was little to no wasted drugs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Wendy Snyder )
Wendy was a godsend! She was my best friend, the shoulder to cry on, and biggest champion until handoff to the obgyn.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strength was the quality of most of the staff. It is a teaching location, but I was a nerd who liked hearing what in-training fellows needed to know, and hear the thoughts of doctors out loud. The wait list is intimidating, especially if there's anything on the male side thay needs to be done.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility.
I remember a really transparent talk with Jim the finance guy who explained my insurance was pretty awesome. Our total out of pocket for UNC was around $8k?
Describe Natalie Crawford's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UNC Fertility.
They followed industry guidelines and only transferred one embryo the first time in a fresh cycle. Ethics guidelines gave us the option to put in 2 eggs the next time in a frozen transfer, and though one person we spoke to (for the first time), discouraged the two egg transfer, I was young, healthy, tall, and my husband had already raised twins, so what was one more set? We put in two eggs, they both grew, and it was a great experience.
Raleigh
Dr. Crawford’s bedside manner is great and she’s an upbeat person but we were not given extensive details or followed up with after failed iui’s.... She is a warm and inviting person. She gives the impression that she’s explaining everything but then you leave with a lot of questions. I do not like that there was no follow up after failed iui’s. She also always seemed to be in a hurry and appointments felt rushed.... Expect a long wait before appointment
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Center?
Expect a long wait before appointment s and know what questions to ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Center?
I’d say both. Dr. Crawford’s bedside manner is great and she’s an upbeat person but we were not given extensive details or followed up with after failed iui’s.
Describe the protocols Natalie Crawford used in your cycles at Austin Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Unexplained infertility so recommended to do IUI.
Nursing staff seemed very disorganized and routinely forgot to send me home with things. They also charged us incorrectly once.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Center.
You check in at a closed sliding window. It’s strange because you sign in on a pad but it takes them a long time to look at it. The wait in the waiting room can be very long and the room is very small and cramped. Once you get called back, the nurses are nice and you are seen fairly promptly. Once seen, it feels rushed. Doctors are friendly but not a lot of attention to detail.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Center.
We paid $1500 both times for IUI.
Austin Fertility Center
Austin
Other, Unexplained
[ Dr. Crawford is] Very willing to work, trying to do the best outcomes. Sometimes had conflict about how far to push treatment and how quickly to scale up. I always felt like she was trying to do the very best. She tried to work around my schedule...Very willing to talk and explain things and answer questions...I used femara so far, to stimulate ovulation on the side that still had a fallopian tube, followed by intercourse. Have discussed other protocols but so far haven't tried that yet.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at Austin Fertility Institute?
I wouldn't have any concern. The same as pretty much any other infertility doctor. I don't know that I would recommend her for someone that absolutely had to have kid glove treatment.
Very willing to talk and explain things and answer questions.
staff is kind of hard to get a hold of. Appointments are scheduled optimistically and frequently run late. Nursing line always goes to voicemail. They do call back and answer questions, but can never get a hold of them.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Clinic is very helpful. It's kind of hard to trust the scheduling. Frequently runs late, but I think that's at least partially because they try to educate and fully answer questions. Care is always done well.
cycles $500 per femara/intercourse. IUI $1500, IVF 10,000
didn't try it yet.
What specific things went wrong at Austin Fertility Institute?
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
[Natalie Crawford] Strengths: Wonderful at explaining options visually and listening. Warm, compassionate, and affirming. Weaknesses: Did not anticipate devastation and confusion I would feel emailing very negative test results before explaining them to me. Muddled order of treatments for multiple diagnoses....Did not prepare me well for what to expect during treatment with very low ovarian reserve. Did not monitor progress early enough, lead to cancelled cycle.
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
Strengths: Wonderful at explaining options visually and listening. Warm, compassionate, and affirming. Weaknesses: Did not anticipate devastation and confusion I would feel emailing very negative test results before explaining them to me. Muddled order of treatments for multiple diagnoses. Gave conflicting information with other doctors in the practice. Did not prepare me well for what to expect during treatment with very low ovarian reserve. Did not monitor progress early enough, lead to cancelled cycle.
Be proactive in raising concerns.
Excellent at explaining diagnosis and options when I was in front of her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UNC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Aly Bell)
The nursing staff at UNC are amazing. Compassionate, responsive, proactive in problem solving.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
Strengths: clean, INCREDIBLE nursing staff, great email communication, good and responsive support with insurance Weaknesses: not always flexible to accommodate difficult patient protocols, appointments not always on time
My insurance covered nearly all costs except cycle management fees ($500?)
What specific things went wrong at UNC Fertility?
Raleigh
I experienced two early missed miscarriages while being treated under Dr. Crawford. I was still very new to infertility treatments and she was compassionate during both losses. She explained my options clearly, and understood that I needed time and space to make decisions for moving forward. She also performed my D&C for the first...Dr. Crawford is a very compassionate RE, who took the time to explain treatment plans to me when I was still very new to infertility. I found her to be kind and gentle,
How was your experience with Natalie Crawford at UNC Fertility?
You don't have to fear being naive or emotional with her; she gets it.
Dr. Crawford is a very compassionate RE, who took the time to explain treatment plans to me when I was still very new to infertility. I found her to be kind and gentle, particularly when I experienced two miscarriages while in her care.
Four IUIs with Clomid.
Describe your experience with UNC Fertility.
The clinic's support staff is phenomenal. They learn your name quickly and genuinely care to provide a good experience when infertility is very stressful. The clinic is very busy, so if they are running behind you will have longer than average wait times.
My treatments (excluding labs) were out of pocket for three of my four cycles. For my fourth, I'd changed insurance and the IUI was covered at 75%.