Medical SchoolU. of Miami
FellowshipU. of Texas
19500 Sandridge Way
Leesburg, VA 20176
703-723-1757
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Naveed Khan to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
He [Dr. Naveed Khan] was pleasant but sterile. I felt as though he was succinct and not as compassionate as I would have liked, but he seemed knowledgeable. When we were talking about IVF he wanted to put me on a very high dose protocol, 600 of follistim to start, and 3 weeks of birth control prior. When I asked about lower doses I was told “let’s see how this goes and then we’ll adjust.” When you’re out of pocket, a full course with 600iu follistim is prohibitively expensive, so I would have liked it if he worked with me on dosing.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was pleasant but sterile. I felt as though he was succinct and not as compassionate as I would have liked, but he seemed knowledgeable. When we were talking about IVF he wanted to put me on a very high dose protocol, 600 of follistim to start, and 3 weeks of birth control prior. When I asked about lower doses I was told “let’s see how this goes and then we’ll adjust.” When you’re out of pocket, a full course with 600iu follistim is prohibitively expensive, so I would have liked it if he worked with me on dosing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared with your own questions. When I went for an IVF consult he said “so what are your questions” at the top of the appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady Grove is a big clinic and they therefore have a set assembly line type of feel. Everyone was perfectly pleasant but I definitely knew I was “one of the herd.” Also when I left I was preparing for an IVF cycle. My financial counselor changed and no one told me until I emailed my counselor and she said so and so is now the Leesburg counselor.
Describe the protocols Naveed Khan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
IUI - clomid 100mg with ovidrel trigger, estrogen for lining, progesterone suppositories. Second IUI - femara ?5mg, ovidrel trigger, progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tracey, Kelly)
At first I had Taylor, who I liked a lot, and then it switched to Tracey but I didn’t get to meet her so I met Kelley instead which was thoroughly confusing. Tracey was really upbeat & seemed competent. Kelly who I had to interact with from time to time was harder to get a response from. I felt like I had to call and email to get responses at times from anyone, except Taylor who was very responsive but again unfortunately was only my nurse for a short time.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This is a satellite clinic so they do not do anything on the weekends, or any egg retrievals or transfers. I did monitoring here and due to one IUI being on the weekend and the other with Dr Khan out of town I ended up having to drive to Rockville twice. What I loved: no kids allowed. I did have to wait sometimes for monitoring. Monitoring was like one after another bc there are so many patients. The phlebotomist was very sweet.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove really is prohibitively expensive for out of pocket patients. IUI was $1800 global fee. Timed intercourse cycles were the SAME price bc “they don’t recommend doing it without monitoring,” ie my obgyn wouldn’t prescribe clomid or femara without monitoring but neither would my RE. IVF was $10,500 for a fresh cycle. Frozen transfers are $4500 a piece or something, pgs is $3500 or $3600, not sure about ICSI.
Describe Naveed Khan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He preferred one but said it was up to me and that if they recommended 2 it meant things weren’t looking very good.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr Khan is very kind and very forthcoming. He is open to treatment suggestions and will give you the pros and cons from his perspective for each scenario. He is very knowledgeable about his profession, I have found that he is exceptionally skilled at tailoring treatment to the patient instead of offering blanket solutions to all...Don't be afraid to suggest alternatives to the initial protocol or treatment plan, Dr. Khan is very receptive to patient suggestions and will give you an honest opinion as to what he thinks about the suggestion without getting upset...
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
After initial testing I was diagnosed with PCOS with an-ovulation and my husband was diagnosed with mild male factor (poor morphology). We did 3 IUI procedures with Femara, taken CD 3-7, and an ovidrel trigger when the lead follicle reached 18mm+. First and second cycles were 2.5mg, and I had one follicle each time. I triggered on CD16 for the first cycle, and CD18 for the second cycle. The third IUI cycle we went with the same protocol since I had responded well in the past, however this time when I went in for a CD12 and CD15 follicle scan and we saw no growth, and no lead follicle. Dr. Khan decided to do a "re-dose" and upped the dose of Femara to 5mg this time. I started the re-dose on CD16 and completed on CD21. I had follicle scans on CD26, 28, and 30 and we triggered on CD31, still only one large follicle. Each IUI cycle resulted in a negative beta. Dr. Khan offered to have us do another IUI, he said the clinic would do up to 6 if we wanted, but we elected to move on to IVF to increase odds of success. My IVF protocol was high responder agonist. I started with 3 weeks of birth control pills, and then I was on 112.5 Follistim and 75 of Menopur for 8 days. I started Ganreliex on the 8th day of stims and days 9-11 we took the follistim down to only 75 because I had a ton of measurable follicles and added in PIO. I stimmed overall for 11 days and used a lupron trigger shot, with retrieval on day 13. I was unable to have any HCG (which they usually administer during the retrieval) because of risk of OHSS. I had 59 eggs retrieved. The retrieval went very smoothly, but I was miserable afterwards. I was given pain meds but even with those the car ride home was absolutely horrible - every small bump in the road was excruciating. I took the day of the retrieval and the next day off of work, and was able to resume normal life 2 days post retrieval. I wanted to do a fresh transfer, but Dr. Khan warned me that this might not be possible due to risk of OHSS. We planned to move forward with the fresh transfer anyway, and I drank more then my share of Gatoraide in the next few days. Since I was feeling back to normal by the time the day for the fresh transfer came around, Dr. Khan advised me that it was up to me to listen to my body and told me to go through with the fresh transfer if I felt up to it. I did, so we did. During the transfer there was only a very small amount of fluid visible on the ultrasound, so I felt much better. Unfortunately we ended up getting another negative beta, and I am cycling for my first FET now. We had 16 embryos fertilized normally, 1 was transferred fresh, and an additional 4 were cryopreserved. We did not do PGS testing because we are not high risk candidates as far as that is concerned, but plan to pursue it if we transfer our 4 frozen and do not have success and want to do another retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christine Johnson)
My primary nurse was Christine. Overall, she is great! She is always available for questions, gets back to me super fast when I leave her a voicemail, and is super compassionate when it comes to breaking me the bad news. I have also interacted with Kelly and Tracy, they are amazing nurses as well. Taylor usually takes care of ordering the meds and she is super responsive and helpful as well. I had a lot of issues with my insurance wanting to change my medications or being out of specific things, and she was always able to make accommodations that allowed me to complete treatment in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Leesburg is amazing! You feel like a member of the family instead of just a number, and the entire care team has been so great to my husband and I. They all remind me regularly to keep my eye on the ball, and are genuinely care about and work towards my success. I could not be more grateful for the team at SGF Leesburg.
I am lucky enough to have great insurance. I paid approx $100 per ultrasound appointment during IUI treatment, and up to my out of pocket maximum once I started IVF ($1400). Medications were about $110 per IUI cycle, and approx $500 per IVF cycle.
Leesburg
It would have been nice after our first failed IUI to have him [Dr. Khan] explain why we were trying the same exact protocol as before, but it's understandable to have a nurse call us and talk to us as well.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am fortunate enough to be fairly healthy, and should not have problems conceiving, so most of our protocol has to deal with my husband's issues. Dr. Khan explained what the process would be at the beginning if I had no issues, and after all of our testing explained again what to expect. I was surprised that the results of my genetic testing was not communicated with him prior to my follow-up consult, and he had never heard of the syndrome that I am a carrier of, but had he been given the information prior, I think it would have eased my comfort level, because he would have been able to speak knowledgeably to my concerns. It would have been nice after our first failed IUI to have him explain why we were trying the same exact protocol as before, but it's understandable to have a nurse call us and talk to us as well.
Be upfront about an issues you are, or believe you are facing. Dr. Khan certainly isn't a mind reader, but answered every question that we asked.
Every time we come into the office, everyone is exceedingly nice. They all know this is a difficult time for someone desperately trying to conceive. Doctors, nurses and the rest of the office staff are thoughtful in their explanations of our care, the appropriate next steps and what to expect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chris)
Chris was my care coordinator, and has since left her position and moved to another position in the group. Chris was always willing to take a call, very responsive to voicemails, and creatively left me a voicemail at work, that I would understand, but if someone else happened to hear, they wouldn't have known what she was talking about! I felt at ease with Chris and that she had my best interests at heart.
Leesburg
I am currently still undergoing treatment with Dr. Khan, however our encounters with him thus far have been great. He is to the point and ready to work towards a solution. I have had no issues with his bedside manner. We look forward to completing our treatment process and believing in his plan of action!... He may come across as a bit cold but he is just very straightforward.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He may come across as a bit cold but he is just very straightforward.
Leading up to Egg Retrieval, my protocol was Menopur with a Lupron Trigger. Last minute he switched my Lupron to an HCG trigger because he believed it would work better with how my body was progressing.
Everyone has been kind and friendly! Very responsive to messages most of the time!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I have no real complaints with the clinic itself. Most everyone I have encountered there has been great. The nursing team, techs, and coordinators have all been kind and helpful. Some of them are such bright spots in a not so great situation!