U. of Miami

Naveed Khan works at

19500 Sandridge Way
Leesburg, VA 20176
703-723-1757

Before my IUI, My primary doctor found that my thyroid was WAY off (hypothyroid) and Dr Khan , knowing this, still followed through with the IUI that I paid for out of pocket. *I* then had to ask him after I learned that it failed, if my thyroid could have caused the IUI to fail, he said I was correct my thyroid wasn’t optimal for fertility and to go and seek an Endocrinologist...he was quick to wave off newer studies I’ve found. I let him because he’s the doctor, not me. My test came back with high FSH and possible clotting disorder. Otherwise “unexplained infertility”. I asked if I should take baby aspirin, “it’s not part of our protocol” I pushed back “will it hurt if I take baby aspirin.
Everyone [at Shady Grove Fertility] responds to emails very quickly. Everyone is very kind and welcoming. I never had any issue with communication or treatment from nurses. Phone calls aren’t the best, they prefer email...My IUI was not covered my insurance, $1,800 for IUI...This clinic is run very smoothly and timely. The clinic is very clean and accommodating for my family. (I have a 3 year old son who had to be snuck in a few times). The staff is friendly. They have weekend hours at different locations that isn’t too far away from where we live. I just don’t appreciate how I was treated as a number by the doctor.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am all around disappointed. Honestly, from the start I was a little put off by feeling like a number. It’s the closest clinic to my house, so, I stayed when I shouldn’t have. Dr, Khan did take the time to hear me out most of the time when we had a meeting. But, he was quick to wave off newer studies I’ve found. I let him because he’s the doctor, not me. My test came back with high FSH and possible clotting disorder. Otherwise “unexplained infertility”. I asked if I should take baby aspirin, “it’s not part of our protocol” I pushed back “will it hurt if I take baby aspirin. Since it could help prevent another miscarriage?” “no it won’t hurt anything”. Alrighty fighting for clarity and treatment as an individual and it was only the beginning. One medicated timed intercourse failed. Then I set up for an IUI, our insurance doesn’t cover it, in Northern VA fertility treatment is very pricey. I then went to my primary doctor who ran regular tests and found my thyroid was off (hypothyroid). A few days before IUI I told my clinic about my thyroid levels they “‘made note of it”. Went ahead with the IUI. It failed. I then discovered that my levels were way off for fertility and could be a reason for infertility and early miscarriage. When I brought this up to doctor Khan he said “yes. Your thyroid is not optimal for fertility. If you’d like, go and see an Endocrinologist”. That was the last contact I had with this clinic. I won’t be returning. They took my money and instead of holding off on the IUI that was perhaps destined for failure from the start and waited for my thyroid levels to regulate, they did the IUI. And I had to figure out for myself that my thyroid being off needed to be taken seriously. So frustrating and disheartening. You must be your own advocate. Ask questions. Do your own research!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your own research. Be your own advocate. Ask all of the questions. Be persistent. Also, don’t be afraid to go somewhere for a second opinion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Being diagnosed unexplained and then forced to follow their “protocol” for Medicated timed intercourse. First, they found my tests showed clotting disorder and told me taking baby aspirin wasn’t part of their protocol. Before my IUI, My primary doctor found that my thyroid was WAY off (hypothyroid) and Dr Khan , knowing this, still followed through with the IUI that I paid for out of pocket. *I* then had to ask him after I learned that it failed, if my thyroid could have caused the IUI to fail, he said I was correct my thyroid wasn’t optimal for fertility and to go and seek an Endocrinologist. That was the last contact I had with this clinic. Very disappointing and frustrating. I felt they just took my money without any thought as to what could actually be going on with ME, the patient.
Describe the protocols Naveed Khan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
From my understanding for timed intercourse and IUI - its all the same. I did not do any IVF rounds or egg retrieval’s. For T.I and IUI - take clomid or letrozole starting day 3 of your cycle. Then around day 12 you go into the office for blood work and ultrasound to count follicles to see if you’re ready to take the trigger shot (ovadril). Trigger shot and two days later go in for the IUI. Then follow up with progesterone suppositories until negative blood test. Continue them if positive. My lining was thin during my T.I. and I had to take estrogen suppositories until negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tracey)
Everyone responds to emails very quickly. Everyone is very kind and welcoming. I never had any issue with communication or treatment from nurses. Phone calls aren’t the best, they prefer email.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered the medication for timed intercourse. That price was under 70$ for the clomid, ovadril, and progesterone. My IUI was not covered my insurance, $1,800 for IUI then $175 for medications.
Describe Naveed Khan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We didn’t do this.
Naveed Khan
Leesburg

He [Dr. Naveed Khan] was pleasant but sterile. I felt as though he was succinct and not as compassionate as I would have liked, but he seemed knowledgeable. When we were talking about IVF he wanted to put me on a very high dose protocol, 600 of follistim to start, and 3 weeks of birth control prior. When I asked about lower doses I was told “let’s see how this goes and then we’ll adjust.” When you’re out of pocket, a full course with 600iu follistim is prohibitively expensive, so I would have liked it if he worked with me on dosing.
Shady Grove is a big clinic and they therefore have a set assembly line type of feel. Everyone was perfectly pleasant but I definitely knew I was “one of the herd.” Also when I left I was preparing for an IVF cycle. My financial counselor changed and no one told me until I emailed my counselor and she said so and so is now the Leesburg counselor...Tracey was really upbeat & seemed competent. Kelly who I had to interact with from time to time was harder to get a response from. I felt like I had to call and email to get responses at times from anyone, except Taylor who was very responsive but again unfortunately was only my nurse for a short time.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was pleasant but sterile. I felt as though he was succinct and not as compassionate as I would have liked, but he seemed knowledgeable. When we were talking about IVF he wanted to put me on a very high dose protocol, 600 of follistim to start, and 3 weeks of birth control prior. When I asked about lower doses I was told “let’s see how this goes and then we’ll adjust.” When you’re out of pocket, a full course with 600iu follistim is prohibitively expensive, so I would have liked it if he worked with me on dosing.
Be prepared with your own questions. When I went for an IVF consult he said “so what are your questions” at the top of the appointment.
IUI - clomid 100mg with ovidrel trigger, estrogen for lining, progesterone suppositories. Second IUI - femara ?5mg, ovidrel trigger, progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tracey, Kelly)
At first I had Taylor, who I liked a lot, and then it switched to Tracey but I didn’t get to meet her so I met Kelley instead which was thoroughly confusing. Tracey was really upbeat & seemed competent. Kelly who I had to interact with from time to time was harder to get a response from. I felt like I had to call and email to get responses at times from anyone, except Taylor who was very responsive but again unfortunately was only my nurse for a short time.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This is a satellite clinic so they do not do anything on the weekends, or any egg retrievals or transfers. I did monitoring here and due to one IUI being on the weekend and the other with Dr Khan out of town I ended up having to drive to Rockville twice. What I loved: no kids allowed. I did have to wait sometimes for monitoring. Monitoring was like one after another bc there are so many patients. The phlebotomist was very sweet.
Shady Grove really is prohibitively expensive for out of pocket patients. IUI was $1800 global fee. Timed intercourse cycles were the SAME price bc “they don’t recommend doing it without monitoring,” ie my obgyn wouldn’t prescribe clomid or femara without monitoring but neither would my RE. IVF was $10,500 for a fresh cycle. Frozen transfers are $4500 a piece or something, pgs is $3500 or $3600, not sure about ICSI.
He preferred one but said it was up to me and that if they recommended 2 it meant things weren’t looking very good.
Naveed Khan