6.9

19500 Sandridge Way
Leesburg, VA 20176
703-723-1757

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr Khan is very kind and very forthcoming. He is open to treatment suggestions and will give you the pros and cons from his perspective for each scenario. He is very knowledgeable about his profession, I have found that he is exceptionally skilled at tailoring treatment to the patient instead of offering blanket solutions to all...Don't be afraid to suggest alternatives to the initial protocol or treatment plan, Dr. Khan is very receptive to patient suggestions and will give you an honest opinion as to what he thinks about the suggestion without getting upset...
Shady Grove Leesburg is amazing! You feel like a member of the family instead of just a number, and the entire care team has been so great to my husband and I. They all remind me regularly to keep my eye on the ball, and are genuinely care about and work towards my success. I could not be more grateful for the team at SGF Leesburg...
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Naveed Khan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
After initial testing I was diagnosed with PCOS with an-ovulation and my husband was diagnosed with mild male factor (poor morphology). We did 3 IUI procedures with Femara, taken CD 3-7, and an ovidrel trigger when the lead follicle reached 18mm+. First and second cycles were 2.5mg, and I had one follicle each time. I triggered on CD16 for the first cycle, and CD18 for the second cycle. The third IUI cycle we went with the same protocol since I had responded well in the past, however this time when I went in for a CD12 and CD15 follicle scan and we saw no growth, and no lead follicle. Dr. Khan decided to do a "re-dose" and upped the dose of Femara to 5mg this time. I started the re-dose on CD16 and completed on CD21. I had follicle scans on CD26, 28, and 30 and we triggered on CD31, still only one large follicle. Each IUI cycle resulted in a negative beta. Dr. Khan offered to have us do another IUI, he said the clinic would do up to 6 if we wanted, but we elected to move on to IVF to increase odds of success. My IVF protocol was high responder agonist. I started with 3 weeks of birth control pills, and then I was on 112.5 Follistim and 75 of Menopur for 8 days. I started Ganreliex on the 8th day of stims and days 9-11 we took the follistim down to only 75 because I had a ton of measurable follicles and added in PIO. I stimmed overall for 11 days and used a lupron trigger shot, with retrieval on day 13. I was unable to have any HCG (which they usually administer during the retrieval) because of risk of OHSS. I had 59 eggs retrieved. The retrieval went very smoothly, but I was miserable afterwards. I was given pain meds but even with those the car ride home was absolutely horrible - every small bump in the road was excruciating. I took the day of the retrieval and the next day off of work, and was able to resume normal life 2 days post retrieval. I wanted to do a fresh transfer, but Dr. Khan warned me that this might not be possible due to risk of OHSS. We planned to move forward with the fresh transfer anyway, and I drank more then my share of Gatoraide in the next few days. Since I was feeling back to normal by the time the day for the fresh transfer came around, Dr. Khan advised me that it was up to me to listen to my body and told me to go through with the fresh transfer if I felt up to it. I did, so we did. During the transfer there was only a very small amount of fluid visible on the ultrasound, so I felt much better. Unfortunately we ended up getting another negative beta, and I am cycling for my first FET now. We had 16 embryos fertilized normally, 1 was transferred fresh, and an additional 4 were cryopreserved. We did not do PGS testing because we are not high risk candidates as far as that is concerned, but plan to pursue it if we transfer our 4 frozen and do not have success and want to do another retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christine Johnson)
My primary nurse was Christine. Overall, she is great! She is always available for questions, gets back to me super fast when I leave her a voicemail, and is super compassionate when it comes to breaking me the bad news. I have also interacted with Kelly and Tracy, they are amazing nurses as well. Taylor usually takes care of ordering the meds and she is super responsive and helpful as well. I had a lot of issues with my insurance wanting to change my medications or being out of specific things, and she was always able to make accommodations that allowed me to complete treatment in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility.
I am lucky enough to have great insurance. I paid approx $100 per ultrasound appointment during IUI treatment, and up to my out of pocket maximum once I started IVF ($1400). Medications were about $110 per IUI cycle, and approx $500 per IVF cycle.

2015, Unsuccessful
It would have been nice after our first failed IUI to have him [Dr. Khan] explain why we were trying the same exact protocol as before, but it's understandable to have a nurse call us and talk to us as well.
Chris [nurse at Shady Grove] was always willing to take a call, very responsive to voicemails. Doctors, nurses and the rest of the office staff are thoughtful in their explanations of our care, the appropriate next steps and what to expect...I was surprised that the results of my genetic testing was not communicated with him prior to my follow-up consult.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am fortunate enough to be fairly healthy, and should not have problems conceiving, so most of our protocol has to deal with my husband's issues. Dr. Khan explained what the process would be at the beginning if I had no issues, and after all of our testing explained again what to expect. I was surprised that the results of my genetic testing was not communicated with him prior to my follow-up consult, and he had never heard of the syndrome that I am a carrier of, but had he been given the information prior, I think it would have eased my comfort level, because he would have been able to speak knowledgeably to my concerns. It would have been nice after our first failed IUI to have him explain why we were trying the same exact protocol as before, but it's understandable to have a nurse call us and talk to us as well.
Be upfront about an issues you are, or believe you are facing. Dr. Khan certainly isn't a mind reader, but answered every question that we asked.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Every time we come into the office, everyone is exceedingly nice. They all know this is a difficult time for someone desperately trying to conceive. Doctors, nurses and the rest of the office staff are thoughtful in their explanations of our care, the appropriate next steps and what to expect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chris)
Chris was my care coordinator, and has since left her position and moved to another position in the group. Chris was always willing to take a call, very responsive to voicemails, and creatively left me a voicemail at work, that I would understand, but if someone else happened to hear, they wouldn't have known what she was talking about! I felt at ease with Chris and that she had my best interests at heart.
Leesburg

The doctor [Dr. Naveed Khan] is a good communicator. I felf at ease talking to him. He explained the procedure, set a realistic expactation of the outcome without giving me a false hope. He had all the right answers when I asked my questions. He made the jurney almost effortless and easy...I had IUi procedure for first time. I was prescribed letrazol, Gonal-F 450 ml, Ovidrel 250 MCG/0.5 ml, Progesterone 200 mg...
The cost for IUI was $1800 + $508 for medications [at Shady Grove Fertility]... The office is established and well know...the visits were very convinient. The weekness: for a specific radiology test I needed to travel all the way to the main SGC clinic. I could have done the test in any local radiology office that was much more convinient for me...The staff was always smiling and accomodating. I had to call over the weekend when the office was closed and I had a nurse assisting me with the right instructions.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
The doctor is a good communicator. I felf at ease talking to him. He explained the procedure, set a realistic expactation of the outcome without giving me a false hope. He had all the right answers when I asked my questions. He made the jurney almost effortless and easy.
Be positive.Do you research so you can be better prepare for the conversation with the doctor. Knowing the subject will allow you the ask the doctor the right questions.
He explained the threatment with great details while keep it real for me and without giving me false hope.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I have several friends and college who also recommended me doctor Khan. The office is established and well know. Bonus for me was the close proximety of the office to my house and the visits were very convinient. The weekness: for a specific radiology test I needed to travel all the way to the main SGC clinic. I could have done the test in any local radiology office that was much more convinient for me.
The cost for IUI was $1800 + $508 for medications
Leesburg
As scary as the experience is I always felt calmed by the experience and confidence and the knowledge of Dr. Kahn and his staff. Every question was answered. He spent time with us and even after explaining thing to us he would make sure no other questions came to mind. He would wait around to make sure. We always knew the steps that were happening and what to expect next...We had to do a frozen transfer as I got to “ripe” to do a live transfer. This was not originally part of our plan but it was explained beforehand and we knew the possibility so we were not thrown off when we realized we would have to go that route.
They [the nurses art Shady Grove Fertility] were so loving and caring and they knew how to carry conversations that didn’t put you on edge or put too much pressure on the situation. They were inspirational...I loved this group and all of my options. I loved the communication and the caring environment. I almost didn’t want to stop seeing them they were like family for a while going through it with us. Cheering us on and making it such a smooth process and we left every worry to them.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Always ask questions and write them down for each appointment. And follow all the directions to a few they know what they are doing and trust the process.
I felt like family. He took time. Answered all questions and he never rushed us and always made sure we knew what was happening.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
They were so loving and caring and they knew how to carry conversations that didn’t put you on edge or put too much pressure on the situation. They were inspirational
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Naveed Khan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
That was our choice we did not want to try 2.