Medical SchoolU. of Rochester
1 Jarrett White Rd
Honolulu, HI 96859
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Nia Middleton to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Tripler Army Medical Center to a friend?
The only negative thing about her [Dr. Middleton] is that she is often running late, but this is because she takes so much time to fully address the concerns of her patients...Dr. Middleton also managed to help me avoid OHSS, even with 27 eggs retrieved, by switching me to a lupron/hcg trigger instead of a the standard hcg trigger given by the clinic. After one IVF attempt we had a successful fresh transfer of one embryo and we have nine frozen, so we couldn't be happier!..Even in a very busy military clinic, Dr. Middleton took the time to address any question or concerns that we had.
How was your experience with Nia Middleton at Tripler Army Medical Center?
Seeing Dr. Middleton was a breath of fresh air in our 3-year journey. She was very professional and explained all risks for IVF, but was also very positive and made our IVF experience as comfortable as it could possibly be. The only negative thing about her is that she is often running late, but this is because she takes so much time to fully address the concerns of her patients. In a military facility this is rare, and even though I was busy during this time, it was worth waiting. Dr. Middleton also managed to help me avoid OHSS, even with 27 eggs retrieved, by switching me to a lupron/hcg trigger instead of a the standard hcg trigger given by the clinic. After one IVF attempt we had a successful fresh transfer of one embryo and we have nine frozen, so we couldn't be happier!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nia Middleton at Tripler Army Medical Center?
You will love her, but know that she is often running late.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nia Middleton at Tripler Army Medical Center?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Tripler Army Medical Center.
The coordinator was very helpful and called with all important info eventually. At times it was stressful waiting for a call, but I know that she was completely overloaded. Again, for a military facility, she went above and beyond and made us feel human.
Describe your experience with Tripler Army Medical Center.
weaknesses: Scheduling an appointment is a challenge and sometimes they cannot fit you in when needed due to military hours. The main REs are great, but when you first start you may not see them. You may see a nurse practitioner or intern instead. Also, you have to try each treatment a certain number of times before getting on an ivf wait list which can be long. strengths: Medication is free (including injectables)! Bloodwork, ultrasounds, appointments, and other diagnostic procedures (I had an hsg, saline ultrasound, and laparoscopy) are also free. The REs are great once you are finally able to see them. They work with a civilian fertility institute for IUI and IVF procedures so you are receiving the highest quality of care for a fraction of the price.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nia Middleton at Tripler Army Medical Center.
Because the cost of medication, blood work, ultrasounds, and diagnostic procedures/tests were provided by the military, we only had to pay for the actual procedures done at the civilian fertility institute. Each IUI with sperm wash was $233 and a full IVF procedure with retrieval, ICSI, and transfer came out to about $7500. Embryo storage is about $600 each year.
Honolulu
Dr. Middleton is very honest and to the point when it comes to treatment plans and what's realistic for you personally. She's kind in her delivery and really made me feel that our desires were important and she was going to do everything she could to make it happen.... Because of my age we started with injectables and iui. After 3 failed iui's, Dr. Middleton felt that it would be best for me to move on to ivf, but let me try one more iui while I was on the wait list.
Don't wait, go in asap
She's very personable and listens to my wants and concerns
Describe the protocols Nia Middleton used in your cycles at Tripler Army Medical Center and their degree of success.
Because of my age we started with injectables and iui. After 3 failed iui's, Dr. Middleton felt that it would be best for me to move on to ivf, but let me try one more iui while I was on the wait list. The 4th oil failed as well, so we moved on to ivf. The egg retrieval has been completed and now were waiting to start the frozen embryo transfer cycle.
I believe there were two nurses that I have been working with in regards to scheduling and instructions. They are very helpful and to the point and always return my calls in good time.
Describe your experience with Tripler Army Medical Center.
I like that pretty much everything I needed to do was at this location. Dr visits, ultrasounds, labs and prescriptions. The facility is clean and the staff is friendly. The only negative I would say is that since its in the regular obgyn department, it can get a little hectic and run behind on time.
I believe the total was $7356.00. Most of that cost was for the anesthesiologist and use of the FIH facilities for the egg retrieval and transfer. Also $1500 of that was for cryopreservation
Describe Nia Middleton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Tripler Army Medical Center.
I requested 2 embryos to be transferred because of the expense and my age. Dr Middleton understood my concerns and agreed to allow this.
Honolulu
I appreciated her insight and she was very helpful for the times that I saw her. She is knowledgeable and kind and truly wants success for her patients. She does not think of her patients as numbers only....She’s wonderful, but make sure you ask any questions you might have because she’s very busy!... She prescribed Femara and IUI. This was the 3rd time using Femara and the 4th overall IUI. She only prescribed Femara because that’s what I had taken before and there wasn’t time to do the cycle with injections. This was due to my cycle starting over a holiday weekend and the clinic being closed. (The joys of a military clinic...)
How was your experience with Nia Middleton at Tripler Army Medical Center?
She was very kind and helpful during my treatment. You could tell she truly wants to help her patients.
They’re nice and are helpful. They’re very busy, but that’s not their fault, and it’s hard to get in touch with them sometimes.
Describe your experience with Tripler Army Medical Center.
It’s awesome that we have the opportunity to go to this clinic under the military insurance. They are super busy and can’t always fit you in when needed. I don’t feel like the care is very personalized. I’ve done 4 IUI cycles and have seen different doctors for each one and none of the cycles were successful. I haven’t seen my “assigned” doctor since my initial appointments. It’s frustrating. However, I am thankful that I am able to go to them and that a lot of the treatments are covered or partially covered under insurance.
Nothing costs money except the sperm wash because it has to be done at another clinic.
Not applicable yet