Available by cell phone
3145 Clark Rd.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
6711 Monroe St.
Sylvania, OH 43560
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Nicholas Shamma to a friend?

6.4

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVF Michigan Fertility Centers to a friend?
Male Factor, Other
There is very little interaction with the doctor [Dr. Nicholas Shamma] and very little regard for my schedule. Lots of last minute changes that they expected me to comply with...He is very direct and to the point. He does have compassion for his patients, but not much interaction. I disliked that he was not present during most of my treatment...was able to retrieve quite a few eggs during my retrieval, but the medications caused OHSS and our transfer was delayed for 2 months and became frozen because of it. Before every transfer I had a hysteroscopy and dilation. After the first failed transfer we began a protocol with blood thinners in addition to the other injections and medications.
The nursing staff is who I primarily interacted with [at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers]. Betsey is very empathetic and compassionate...transferred 2 embryos each transfer at our request...Every round there were last minute schedule changes that were made and I was expected to comply with a full-time work schedule. There is not much consideration for the patient with both scheduling and financing...If you got to the clinic right at 8am to monitor there was a pretty long wait. Typically only one nurse would be monitoring in the mornings.
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Dr. Shamma is a good doctor. He is very direct and to the point. He does have compassion for his patients, but not much interaction. I disliked that he was not present during most of my treatment. Most interaction is with staff.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
I would let a prospective patient know that there will probably be a lot of changes in his treatment plan. I have gone through multiple rounds and the set schedule was never set. There were last minute schedule changes during each round and many more expenses than originally quoted.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
There is very little interaction with the doctor and very little regard for my schedule. Lots of last minute changes that they expected me to comply with
Describe the protocols Nicholas Shamma used in your cycles at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers and their degree of success.
Dr. Shamma was able to retrieve quite a few eggs during my retrieval, but the medications caused OHSS and our transfer was delayed for 2 months and became frozen because of it. Before every transfer I had a hysteroscopy and dilation. After the first failed transfer we began a protocol with blood thinners in addition to the other injections and medications.
The nursing staff is who I primarily interacted with. Betsey is very empathetic and compassionate. She goes above and beyond for her patients. Lori is very direct, but a good nurse. Both women are competent and professional.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
The clinic is not very modern, but has the equipment to complete necessary treatment. One problem I did encounter was with billing for treatment. There were so many last minute changes to treatment plans (like fresh to frozen cycle) and with this cams large bills that were never discussed with me. I would receive a lot of surprise bills in the mail for sometimes thousands of dollars. After my first retrieval, they retrieved more than 10 eggs and we received a $500 bill in the mail because of the number of eggs retrieved. We were never told about this possibility of extra charges until I brought the bill to my next appointment and the biller said, “Oh they must have retrieved more than 10 eggs that’s why you have this bill.” Very poor communication with billing and fees.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
I do have to give Lori, the nurse credit here! Lori would come in up to 30 minutes early to help with making monitoring a little more convenient for my schedule. There was a very brief window to come in, but she did try to help with that. If you got to the clinic right at 8am to monitor there was a pretty long wait. Typically only one nurse would be monitoring in the mornings.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
I went through an egg retrieval, which turned into a frozen cycle. I had 2 frozen transfers done in the same year. Our health insurance only covered my hysteroscopies and a portion of the blood draws. We spent $33,000 in total medical bills for IVF. This includes medications, bloodwork, and all the treatments
Describe Nicholas Shamma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Dr. Shamma transferred 2 embryos each transfer at our request
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
The issues I had, other than billing, were related to clinician/lab mistake. More than once, I had issues with a blood draw. My blood was forgotten in the fridge and had to be redrawn. I also had my blood drawn 3 times in a 24 hour span because the lab results were incorrect the first 2 times. Every round there were last minute schedule changes that were made and I was expected to comply with a full-time work schedule. There is not much consideration for the patient with both scheduling and financing.
Saginaw

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
From the first meeting Dr Shamma made us feel very comfortable. He explained everything and answered all our questions. He even suggested a study we could join that happened to fit with our situation. He is very busy and can sometimes be in and out quickly. With that said, if you have questions he will always stop and take the time to talk you through some thing or answer all the questions you have...I had to get a hysteroscopy and have a polyp removed each time we did a transfer. We did an egg retrieval, but because I became slightly inflamed he decided to freeze all the embryos and wait until my next cycle for transfer. I was on lupron depot, estradiol patches and pills, vitamin b, prenatal vitamin, metformin, baby aspirin, enoxaparin, and progesterone.
The blood work, ultrasounds, Dr visits, surgeries, transfers, retrieval’s, etc. are all done right at the office [at IVF Michigan]. All the staff and nurses are very friendly and supportive...The staff and Dr were all very kind and would take all the time you needed to answer any questions until you felt comfortable...There were a couple of nurses that I really liked and were always very detailed and thorough. Some of the others weren’t as detailed or gave a lot of info all at once and it was too much to digest and remember all at once. I had to start asking for them to write it down for me so I would remember by the time I got home. It was a lot when your dealing with all the medications, dosages, times, etc. Overall I thought the nurses were very kind and great to work with.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
No question is silly to ask. It is important for you to be informed and comfortable with what is going on. Dr Shamma is great at explaining things and making patients feel comfortable.
The staff and Dr were all very kind and would take all the time you needed to answer any questions until you felt comfortable. I had gone through a bunch of treatment with another Dr and Dr Shamma didn’t try to waste my time or money by doing any of it again. He told me straight up that we needed to do ivf. The other things didn’t work, why waste our time or money. When we came back to try for a second, they really seemed to be understanding of financial and emotional stress and worked with us.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
The billing department was always very understanding and helpful. The ladies at the front desk are very nice. One issue I did have was that the nurses call back with test results, bloodwork, and everything else after 4:00 pm. They will leave a message, but if you have questions or something was unclear, you can’t get a hold of anyone or get a call back until the next day because the phones shut off at 4:00. They have an email address you can email, but they may not get it until the next day. They do also have an emergency number to call the nurse on call. I just feel like if the nurses are there making calls you should be able to return the call and speak to someone. Other than the phones shutting off at 4, everything was great. Every thing was clean, modern, and inviting. The blood work, ultrasounds, Dr visits, surgeries, transfers, retrieval’s, etc. are all done right at the office. All the staff and nurses are very friendly and supportive.
There was a set rate for the transfer, thawing process, and everything they had to do to prepare the embryo. The medications are all separate and so are the labs and ultra sounds. The cost all depends on your insurance. My insurance changed a couple of times over the years while going through the process. Sometimes all the labs and ultra sounds were covered and a good portion of my meds and other times nothing at all was covered.
When we started treatment Dr Shamma said he would only transfer one embryo. It was successful. We were told that with how far they have come in infertility treatments it was no longer necessary to transfer multiple embryos. Our second time around again he transferred one and we had a chemical pregnancy. We decided to try one more time and we had two embryos left. He told us if we really wanted to he would transfer both. After getting multiple positive blood draws, I miscarried just before my first ultrasound. I don’t believe the decision had any thing to do with the results. I was very comfortable with how he decided what to transfer.

2018 - 2020
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
I have had 0 issues with Dr. Shamma. He has always been wonderful. He's upfront, tells you his opinion on what should be done. Let's you know everything that's happening. It made me feel very aware of the entire situation...He's very busy so it's not always easy to get your first appointment. We had to wait several weeks for ours but it's so worth it...We did a frozen transfer 3 months after same medications as before but added aspirin 81 mg once a day and Enoxoparin 40 mg injection once a day. That transfer was successful. I am in the middle of another GET and have the same protocols as my successful FET.
They [nurses at IVF Michigan] are wonderful. They've kept me very in the loop with appointments. If dates need changed they call me immediately...Our first transfer was two embryos (fresh)...sometimes they'll say they'll call at 2pm and they almost never call back on time. They do call back same day or reply to emails quickly. Just know that when they give a call back time they probably won't stick to it. They get very busy I'm sure.
2018 - 2020
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Dr. Shamma was very sympathetic with our failed transfer. He felt terrible right along with us. He also knew we were religious and kindly prayed that I get pregnant during both my transfers.
I can't remember my protocols for meds with my retrieval but my first transfer (fresh) I was on progesterone 2 mL once a day, esradiol three times a day, and the estrogen patch every three days. That transfer failed. We did a frozen transfer 3 months after same medications as before but added aspirin 81 mg once a day and Enoxoparin 40 mg injection once a day. That transfer was successful. I am in the middle of another GET and have the same protocols as my successful FET.
They are wonderful. They've kept me very in the loop with appointments. If dates need changed they call me immediately. We had to push things back due to COVID-19 and they we very kind with letting us know everything that was going on and getting rescheduled.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
I think it's mostly that sometimes they'll say they'll call at 2pm and they almost never call back on time. They do call back same day or reply to emails quickly. Just know that when they give a call back time they probably won't stick to it. They get very busy I'm sure.
So we have very good infertility coverage but without it we would have spent a fortune. It would have been about 35,000 for our retrieval, fresh transfer, and all medications from a pharmacy. But with insurance we paid like 4,000 for the first transfer and retrieval
Our first transfer was two embryos (fresh). Dr Shamma advised that we should only use 1 with my age but we chose to still do 2. It failed. We used 1 embryo in our second transfer which worked and will be doing another single embryo transfer next month. He allows you to do multiple embryos as long as there's not any apparent extra risk

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Compassionate man [Dr. Shamma]. I really felt like he cares about us and wants only good things for us. When we received terrible news about our PGS testing he was so great at talking me through it, encouraging and giving me options. He didn't force his opinion but let me decide what our next path would be. ...I did my monitoring appointments in my hometown with another doctor. Once I had to go to Saginaw for one as my doctor was on vacation. It was easy and very friendly.
Betsey [nurse] is amazing [at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers]. I trust her completely. She is easy to talk to, to tell my symptoms to and she is very great at what she does. She is so sweet, this is a highly emotional process I don't know how she supports so many amazing women who are going through this but when you are with her on the phone or in person you are the only thing that matters. ... If you do PGS testing they will only transfer 1. If you do not do testing he will transfer up to 2.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Wonderful experience. I trust him completely. Having had a friend going to him around the same time it was great to see how different our protocols were and how they were adjusted as our bodies responded. It made me feel that he really looks at me individually and doesn't just send me through the tried and true routine.
Have questions ready before you meet with him. He is very busy so when you get him be ready with your list. Sometimes I would forget what I wanted to ask so I always had a note in my phone and then I would pull it up before the end of our conversation so I didn't forget.
Compassionate man. I really felt like he cares about us and wants only good things for us. When we received terrible news about our PGS testing he was so great at talking me through it, encouraging and giving me options. He didn't force his opinion but let me decide what our next path would be.
Egg Retrieval #1 - gonal F, menopur, HCG trigger. Egg Retrieval #2 - human growth hormone, gonal F, menopur, HCG trigger Egg Retrieval #2 added in human growth hormone for egg quality. I was also on supplements for both: CoQ10, DHEA, folic acid, Myoinstol, L-Arganine,
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: Betsey)
Betsey is amazing. I trust her completely. She is easy to talk to, to tell my symptoms to and she is very great at what she does. She is so sweet, this is a highly emotional process I don't know how she supports so many amazing women who are going through this but when you are with her on the phone or in person you are the only thing that matters.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Living in northern Michigan I was fortunate to have Dr. Heidtke who is a partner for IVF Michigan and could do a lot of my routine testing. But for all procedures it was a 4 hour trip one way for me down to the clinic. You won't know your surgery or procedure time until the day before, but I always asked if they thought it would be early morning or afternoon - that way we could plan if we were going down the night before and getting a hotel or not. They are very busy but very helpful. Don't be afraid to call if you have questions.
Expensive and I had 0% covered by insurance. I was able to save costs with a program that gave us a discount based upon our income. I also ordered my first round of meds from europe and saved thousands.

2020
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Shamma was wonderful and made sure to communicate effectively with myself (as a nurse with technical questions) as well as my husband, who does not have a medical background. I feel that he was honest and straight forward as one would want in a physician. ... He recommended IVF but we did not start a cycle with them due to the cost being prohibitive.
Their [IVF Michigan Fertility Centers] biggest weakness is that the person who sends out financial estimates for treatments never spoke with us in person, over the phone or even followed up with us as we thought would happen based on their Facebook page of 'what to expect at your consultation.' We just got an email estimating $22,500 for IVF with PGS testing and no other verbal explanation otherwise on how to read the price breakdown. I called once and spoke with someone in one of their other offices but never heard anything from the financial person from the Toledo office. That was disappointing and frustrating.
2020
He's wonderful!
We had some concerns after the initial consultation that required further testing. The nurse understood and scheduled us a follow up visit with Dr Shamma for us to discuss the results of the tests to allow us to figure out where to go from there.
They were all wonderful but I didn't get much of a follow up after the first or second visit with opportunity to ask questions. If I had questions, I had to call them.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Their strength was that they were able to get us in for an initial consultation in less than a month (I think maybe even 2-3 weeks). Their biggest weakness is that the person who sends out financial estimates for treatments never spoke with us in person, over the phone or even followed up with us as we thought would happen based on their Facebook page of 'what to expect at your consultation.' We just got an email estimating $22,500 for IVF with PGS testing and no other verbal explanation otherwise on how to read the price breakdown. I called once and spoke with someone in one of their other offices but never heard anything from the financial person from the Toledo office. That was disappointing and frustrating.
Our consultation was $186 out of pocket and some labs I had drawn were $62. The estimate for IVF with PGS testing was $22,500.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
We did ICSI IVF with PGT and put back in a frozen cycle a single embryo [with Dr Nicholas Shamma]. I used a cetrotode protocol. I had no hyper stimulation because I think I was given a trigger with luprolide and a bit of hCG...He said he only will put one embryo...He was dedicated, caring, very knowledgeable, knew all about my case, and even gave me his personal cell number!!...I was elated, thankful by the exceptional care Dr.Shamma provided. From the moment I saw him for my initial consultation I felt that he was caring, framed the problem of recurrent pregnancy issues that I had He did surgery to correct my uterus. He then recommended I do genetics on the embryos because my early losses were all because of a genetic issue. He was caring, super-smart, gentle, and empathetic and understanding. In short, I think he was exceptional.
The cost of the whole process including monitoring during stimulation, making the embryos, genetically testing them, freezing, them, and then thawing, doing the transfer was around $24,000 [at IVF MIchigan Fertility Centers]...Beautiful clinic. Clean. Knowledgeable staff. Caring. Very punctual. Answered all my billing problems. And helped us in navigating ordering the medications. When I called twice after hours, I got hold of a nurse right away. She consulted with Dr. Shamma. He then called me back both times and addressed the issues. We felt extremely comfortable going through this journey.
$500K+
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Do not hesitate to see him as soon as possible. Because he is so direct, you need to be the same. Articulate your expectations from the beginning.
We did ICSI IVF with PGT and put back in a frozen cycle a single embryo. I used a cetrotode protocol. I had no hyper stimulation because I think I was given a trigger with luprolide and a bit of hCG
In short excellent.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
He said he only will put one embryo
Bloomfield Hills

He [Dr. Nicholas Shamma] was practical but knowledgeable. At the end of the whole process, we ended up with a little baby girl so we obviously couldn't be more pleased. We have one more embryo on ice, and will not hesitate to visit Dr. Shamma again... (I was 38, almost 39), and my husband had very few sperm with heads/tails. So the doctor suggested we skip right to IVF, where we could extract eggs, and insert them with the best sperm. So we did an egg retrieval, ICSI, and frozen embryo transfer (5 day). Dr. Shamma put in 2 embryos, and one took. We gave brith to a very healthy baby girl as an end result. We did not opt for genetic testing of the embryos (too expensive).
we did an egg retrieval, ICSI, and frozen embryo transfer (5 day) [at IVF Michigan]. Dr. Shamma put in 2 embryos, and one took. We gave brith to a very healthy baby girl as an end result. We did not opt for genetic testing of the embryos (too expensive)...The nursing staff is very kind. We liked all the nurses we dealt with...$25,000 for the retrieval and implantation (and everything associated with this process like the medication)...The waiting room is often very full, and sometimes you have to wait a really long time. But overall, I would go back and have no regrets about going here in the first place.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
My husband and I went to see Dr. Shamma after failing to conceive using Clomid. We were both 38/39 years old, and wanted to start a family using using our own egg/sperm. He comes across as personable and gentle, but highly knowledgeable. At first we thought maybe he was a little arrogant and overly confident, but shortly thereafter realized he just knew what he was doing. He told us he could help us have a child. He was practical but knowledgeable. At the end of the whole process, we ended up with a little baby girl so we obviously couldn't be more pleased. We have one more embryo on ice, and will not hesitate to visit Dr. Shamma again to try one more implantation.
When you first visit Dr. Shamma, he will have already read your file and will pretty much have your situation assessed before you walk in. My husband and I were taken aback by that, but honestly looking back we realized that he does this every day - and the man has seen just about everything. Once we put our trust in him, we were not dissapointed.
Dr. Shamma was wonderful. He has a very caring and gentle bedside manner. My husband and I really appreciated his blunt (but kind) approach, because he gets to the point and delivers the information succinctly. He is an expert in his field, and it shows because from the start it felt that he had everything under control and could help us conceive.
My eggs were old (I was 38, almost 39), and my husband had very few sperm with heads/tails. So the doctor suggested we skip right to IVF, where we could extract eggs, and insert them with the best sperm. So we did an egg retrieval, ICSI, and frozen embryo transfer (5 day). Dr. Shamma put in 2 embryos, and one took. We gave brith to a very healthy baby girl as an end result. We did not opt for genetic testing of the embryos (too expensive).
The nursing staff is very kind. We liked all the nurses we dealt with, and were impressed that many of them were Dr. Shamma's former IVF patients. Sometimes we got wrong information or different information from different nurses which was confusing and frustrating. It is a busy office and almost always full of patients, so I tried to be understanding.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
The clinic itself is fine/typical. The waiting room is often very full, and sometimes you have to wait a really long time. But overall, I would go back and have no regrets about going here in the first place.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
A few things went wrong. 1) One nurse told us our implantation day would be one of two days, and it ended up that the implantation date is always unknown. So I had a to of stress trying to coordinate my schedule because of this. Everything did work out. 2) They did not ever call me with how many embryos were successful in making it to the 5 day stage, which made me stress out a bunch because of not-knowing. Neither of these events affected my success, they were just stressors.
Sylvania

Dr Shamma was very kind. He explained things in great detail. He made sure we knew what was happening and why and what to expect each time we went. There was never an unknown with our visits. ... He was able to adjust meds when things were not going quite as expected and each step he was there with us. It honestly felt like we mattered with him.
The clinic [IVF Michigan Fertility Centers] is always friendly and welcoming. ... I have needed to call several times for questions and they [nurses] are always quick to help and give answers when I’m not sure what to do. ... I never had a bad experience there. ... The clinic window was easy to follow. From 7:30-8:30am and it was first come first serve. But the line was never a long wait ... I encourage everyone to ask questions and make sure they know what and why something is being done. You’ll learn about your body in ways you never expected and you’ll love knowing why this doctor takes so much pride in his work at the end of the day.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Dr Shamma was very kind. He explained things in great detail. He made sure we knew what was happening and why and what to expect each time we went. There was never an unknown with our visits. We were always able to ask questions and had timely answers. He was able to adjust meds when things were not going quite as expected and each step he was there with us. It honestly felt like we mattered with him.
If you’re not sure ask questions. Keep asking until you understand. This is not a doctor who will just make a quick decision without fully making sure it’s the right one each time.
I was always treated kindly by the staff and the doctor. They were there with any questions no matter got big or small and if I was worried I was always given the opportunity to come in and talk. I never felt alone or left in a batch as just another paycheck for them.
I have pcos which we didn’t know until I started stimulating. As soon as he found that he changed meds to make sure I was not at increased risk of OHSS. He took my care as if I was his own family. He didn’t waste any time when he found out I had a bleed after the pregnancy test was positive. He wanted me there to check and we looked together to see the baby was doing good. He changed meds when I was having a reaction to them. He had changed them based on the bloodwork each week. Sure it’s annoying but my baby’s health is worth all the extra changes and he’s making sure he’s doing everything to ensure I have a healthy baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: Betsy)
The nurses were all amazing. I have needed to call several times for questions and they are always quick to help and give answers when I’m not sure what to do. I couldn’t ask for a more caring group of women.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
The clinic is always friendly and welcoming. I never had a bad experience there. I encourage everyone to ask questions and make sure they know what and why something is being done. You’ll learn about your body in ways you never expected and you’ll love knowing why this doctor takes so much pride in his work at the end of the day.
The clinic window was easy to follow. From 7:30-8:30am and it was first come first serve. But the line was never a long wait. There were always 3-6 people who would be there at various stages with me waiting with excitement for their results. Bloodwork and ultrasounds were done with the nurses and the doctor would review them that afternoon and they call with anything that needed changed.
My costs were all out of pocket. We paid in total about $28,000 but even so I wouldn’t take it back. I am pregnant with our much awaited little one and all the pain, money and tears were worth this.
We had PGS testing so based on that we agreed only 1 embryo would be transferred. It was for my safety as well as baby because I have had 3 prior c sections.
Saginaw

We explained to Dr. Shamma that my Wife had emergency surgery and her Uterus was removed. She was fortunate enough to keep her ovaries so we would be able to use one of her embryos to have a child. My Wife was very nervous because she is pushing 37 years old, and Dr. Shamma quickly shut that down. He explained the whole process very thoroughly; walked us through steps; and guided us with positive vibes....He told us we would both go on prenatal vitamins; folic acid; and I would need to go on birth control to regulate my periods. Then, we would start injections and then the retrieval and placement process.
The only flaw I can think of was the waiting room [IVF Michigan]. Our appointment was at 10:30am and we weren't seen until 11:30am and once we were taken back into the room - Dr. Shamma was still delayed about 25 minutes or so. No one seemed apologetic either, it seemed as if that was their normal routine which was bizarre....Dr. Shamma was a very good communicator and kept us up to speed on the process if we decided to move forward with his location. He also kept things light hearted, so it wasn't completely overwhelming.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Prepare to wait awhile in the waiting room.
My Wife and I had a consultation with Dr. Shamma because we were finalists in the 95.5 "Give You A Baby" contest. We did not end up winning, however, while we met with Dr. Shamma we both feel in love with him. We decided then and there we would utilize him for our IVF needs. We explained to Dr. Shamma that my Wife had emergency surgery and her Uterus was removed. She was fortunate enough to keep her ovaries so we would be able to use one of her embryos to have a child. My Wife was very nervous because she is pushing 37 years old, and Dr. Shamma quickly shut that down. He explained the whole process very thoroughly; walked us through steps; and guided us with positive vibes.
I remember Dr. Shamma taking us through a step by step process of what to expect and what we will both need to do. He told us we would both go on prenatal vitamins; folic acid; and I would need to go on birth control to regulate my periods. Then, we would start injections and then the retrieval and placement process.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
The only flaw I can think of was the waiting room. Our appointment was at 10:30am and we weren't seen until 11:30am and once we were taken back into the room - Dr. Shamma was still delayed about 25 minutes or so. No one seemed apologetic either, it seemed as if that was their normal routine which was bizarre.
Ypsilanti

We have only had a consult with him but Dr. Shamma truly made my husband and myself feel very comfortable. He spoke with genuine kindness, hope, showed direct eye contact and had empathy....only negative thing I would say is that it did feel a bit rushed. However, he was very compassionate and concerning our issue with my bilateral salpingectomy, he said "well you guys needed this done, like yesterday" in which we all had a little chuckle. He wrote down our treatment plan, went over it with us and that was really it.
The location [IVF Michigan] is beautiful, the waiting room is very spacious, perfect for a little elbow room & privacy if you're looking for that. When we were there, it was busy as I'm sure it is every day...Dr. Shamma is very compassionate, he really makes you feel safe, hopeful and ensures that you are in good hands just by simply talking with him. His nurses are incredible, especially the head nurse (I wanna say Julie?) Dr. Shamma has our best interest at heart
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Well we were one of the 10 finalists on the Channel 95.5 "Mojo Gives You A Baby" contest. We had our consult with Dr. Shamma; only negative thing I would say is that it did feel a bit rushed. However, he was very compassionate and concerning our issue with my bilateral salpingectomy, he said "well you guys needed this done, like yesterday" in which we all had a little chuckle. He wrote down our treatment plan, went over it with us and that was really it. Unfortunately, we weren't a grand prize winner, so we have yet to see him again. We are saving up!
Go in with a clear mind and a positive attitude. Write down a list of questions you may have, so you don't forget to ask (I totally wish I would have done that) and put all your faith in God and Dr. Shamma because they both really do have your best interests at heart. Dr. Shamma has & will continue to create miracles for all of us that are struggling.
I have yet to have a cycle done. Only had a consult.
Very compassionate, respectful and informative. They answered all billing questions I had and sent me all paperwork I requested to ensure that we have all the funds we need prior to starting our cycle.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
We have only had a consult so far with Dr. Shamma at IVF Michigan in Bloomfield Hills; therefore I cannot go off of much. However, I can say is this- Dr. Shamma is a pioneer in this, his success rate is at about 70%. The location is beautiful, the waiting room is very spacious, perfect for a little elbow room & privacy if you're looking for that. When we were there, it was busy as I'm sure it is every day. Going into this, knowing that we have to have this procedure and all this medication is a very scary process.; for me it is anyways. Dr. Shamma is very compassionate, he really makes you feel safe, hopeful and ensures that you are in good hands just by simply talking with him. His nurses are incredible, especially the head nurse (I wanna say Julie?) Dr. Shamma has our best interest at heart and I put all my trust in his hands. I know of people who he has helped perform miracles for! We have zero kids and IVF is our only option at conceiving our own children.. I would pick Dr. Shamma at IVF Michigan over and over again, I truly believe he is the best out there. I can only hope & pray that soon he will be helping create our miracle rainbow baby. Good luck to you, always keep your faith. God is great. Miracles DO happen! xxoo
Egg retrieval $5120 Isci/blast $3100 Prepaid cryro $550 Transfer $3100 Optional cycling $1500 Total: $13,370.00 Medications $4-6,000 additonal Grand total: $17,370-19,370.00
No comment.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Shamma is very kind and doesn’t sugar coat things, but makes sure to fully explain what his plan is. He has years of experience and at the first appointment he didn’t pressure me to have him do the surgery... I have Asherman’s Syndrome and we recently did a hystereoscopy to clear out all of the scar tissue. I am on Micronor until we have a protocol in place....I felt like a human because the first appointment we were in his office
The nursing staff [IVF Michigan] is very friendly and will answer all of my questions. They have an after hours number to reach them as well which helps give peace of mind....Strengths: They have Saturday hours every other week. They answer the phones quickly. Staff is friendly. Weaknesses: No online portal for test results. Nurses typically don’t answer when you get transferred and you have to leave a message (however they typically call back quickly). Difficulty getting records to fax over.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Dr. Shamma is very kind and doesn’t sugar coat things, but makes sure to fully explain what his plan is. He has years of experience and at the first appointment he didn’t pressure me to have him do the surgery and actually recommended other senior level doctors to see if we wanted. We immediately felt comfortable with him and had him do my surgery. Everything went very well. I feel safe with him as my doctor.
If you are new to fertility doctors do not take his honesty as being harsh. My previous doctor gave us a lot of false hope and did not explain the severity of things.
I felt like a human because the first appointment we were in his office instead of the traditional room with a table, ultrasound machine, etc. for the surgery I had he checked in with me right after arriving and spoke to me after to let me know how it went. He is very kind and welcoming to me and my husband.
We are currently in the process of coming up with my protocol. I have Asherman’s Syndrome and we recently did a hystereoscopy to clear out all of the scar tissue. I am on Micronor until we have a protocol in place.
The nursing staff is very friendly and will answer all of my questions. They have an after hours number to reach them as well which helps give peace of mind.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
My insurance covers office visits, ultrasounds, and hystereoscopy. IVF quote including freezing embryos, transfer and genetic testing is $22,500

Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Shamma is an extremely intelligent Doctor. I was refereed to him because I had been diagnosed with endometrial cancer & would be having a complete hysterectomy with removal of my tubes, ovaries & cervix. My husband & I still want children so we opted to have an egg retrieval before surgery.... While you will not see Dr. Shamma during every visit, he reviews your lab & ultrasounds and is still very much involved with each patient. Dr. Shamma was unable to do my egg retrieval but called ahead to the Doctor whom he wanted to do the procedure and discussed my case.
I honestly can not say enough amazing things about the nurses at the Toledo Fertility Clinic! They were all so compassionate & knowledgeable. These are the ladies you will see the most for your ultrasounds, blood work & medicine information.... While you will not see Dr. Shamma during every visit, he reviews your lab & ultrasounds and is still very much involved with each patient. Dr. Shamma was unable to do my egg retrieval but called ahead to the Doctor whom he wanted to do the procedure and discussed my case.
Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Dr. Shamma is an extremely intelligent Doctor. I was refereed to him because I had been diagnosed with endometrial cancer & would be having a complete hysterectomy with removal of my tubes, ovaries & cervix. My husband & I still want children so we opted to have an egg retrieval before surgery. After our first meeting with Dr. Shamma we felt comfortable under his care. Dr. Shamma was always friendly with us during appointments & didn't withhold any information or opinions. While you will not see Dr. Shamma during every visit, he reviews your lab & ultrasounds and is still very much involved with each patient. Dr. Shamma was unable to do my egg retrieval but called ahead to the Doctor whom he wanted to do the procedure and discussed my case. It really made me feel like I was being taken care of.
We started my treatment with Medroxyprogesterone to induce menstruation. He also wanted me on Metformin, Vitamin D & Inositol. After my first ultrasound I started with Gonal F 150 and was eventually bumped up to 450 in increments. Closer to egg retrieval I added Cetrotied & Menopur. Thirty six hours preretrieval I took my trigger shot of Leuprolide & Novarel. On the day of my egg retrieval they collected 21 eggs, 16 were mature & 13 fertilized. We're just waiting to find out how many will be frozen!
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
I don't really have anything to add here. My husband & I were lucky enough to have a positive all around experience. The ladies at the front desk, nurses & Dr Shamma were all awesome.
Sylvania

He [Dr. Shamma] did not sugar coat anything. I'm still not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. I also feel like he isn't the best at explaining things so I often leave the quick consultations a bit confused. He has also contradicted himself before. ... For my next transfer, he wanted to be more pro-active to prevent miscarriage. So in addition to all of the things from the last transfer, he also added a steroid (starting 5 days before transfer) and Lovenox (to start two days after transfer).
The clinic's [IVF Michigan] weakness is how expensive it is and how they don't do the best job telling you up front how much things will cost. This is especially true for additional testing that they request. They go through an outside lab, but they are not good at knowing that lab's pricing. ... The nursing staff does a very good job being compassionate and also being open to any of your questions.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
He gave us his personal experiences with IVF but at the same time, he was pretty blunt. He did not sugar coat anything. I'm still not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. I also feel like he isn't the best at explaining things so I often leave the quick consultations a bit confused. He has also contradicted himself before. He said that he didn't suggest PGS for us in our first meeting and then after our miscarriage said that he always suggests PGS. I am glad that my husband was there to verify that we had both heard the same thing.
Take a notebook with you to write down what he is saying because otherwise you will end up confused. Also, don't be afraid to have him explain something again if you don't understand.
I unfortunately do not know all of the lingo associated with treatments. For my retrieval, I ended up with around 60 follicles due to my PCOS so they had me do a trigger that was only 50% HCG and then a freeze-all. From that I ended up with16 embryos. I then moved to a FET of 2 non-PGS embryos. He likes to do a hysteroscopy 5 weeks or so before transfer to make sure that everything is looking good. I did a lupron shot about a month before the transfer. The first transfer got postponed a week due to thin lining but eventually got up to 6.8 the week before transfer with taking 4 estradiol pills a day and one patch changed every 3 days. I also took an anti-biotic a few days before the transfer. The first transfer was a success but I miscarried at 5w5d unexpectedly with an HCG of 66k measured that evening in the ER. For my next transfer, he wanted to be more pro-active to prevent miscarriage. So in addition to all of the things from the last transfer, he also added a steroid (starting 5 days before transfer) and Lovenox (to start two days after transfer). My lining was thin again so we once again postponed the transfer a week and my lining got up to 7.5 a week before transfer. That transfer of 2 non-PGS embryos was unsuccessful.
The nursing staff does a very good job being compassionate and also being open to any of your questions. The night of my miscarriage, they were texting us checking in. There is just one nurse in the practice who is less warm than the others. She's not bad, but I don't feel the same level of compassion from her. They do a pretty good job of organization, but sometimes they need to more clearly talk about the tests you need to get done, how long they take, and telling you what your results were quickly.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
The clinic's weakness is how expensive it is and how they don't do the best job telling you up front how much things will cost. This is especially true for additional testing that they request. They go through an outside lab, but they are not good at knowing that lab's pricing. I was told one price by the clinic and it ended up being twice as much when I was billed. I also feel that this clinic is much more expensive than other clinics. When I discuss what I am paying with over IVF patients around the country, they are appalled.
The retrieval process ended up being around 12k. An FET is 6.5k. PGS testing for 14 embryos was 11k.
I am transferring 2 non-PGS embryos but I think if they were PGS tested, he would only do 1.

2012 - 2018
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
[Dr. Nicholas Shamma] insisted, based on evidence, on using Intracytoplasmic sperm injection for all the eggs as he found it more beneficial...For our first fresh cycle, he suggested implanting two embryos because of the timing but warned us about the risk of multiples. On our second frozen transfer he suggested we only transfer one embryo as it was easier to plan the timing and therefore get a higher success rate with a single embryo...spent a good amount of time taking with us about the the process and explaining why he was doing what he was doing. He was up-front and honest and even gave us his cell number so we could call if we had any questions. He never hurried or pressured us in any way
Everyone at the clinic [IVF Michigan] is friendly and treat you like a person. we never had to wait very long for appointment and they were always on top of everything...They [nurses] were all very pleasant and efficient. No complaints...[Dr. Nicholas Shamma] insisted, based on evidence, on using Intracytoplasmic sperm injection for all the eggs as he found it more beneficial...For our first fresh cycle, he suggested implanting two embryos because of the timing but warned us about the risk of multiples. On our second frozen transfer he suggested we only transfer one embryo as it was easier to plan the timing and therefore get a higher success rate with a single
2012 - 2018
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Dr. Shamma is one of my favorite doctors I have seen. He is well educated and up to date and takes the time to educate about the process and explain himself. His personal attitude is very calm and confident and he makes you feel like you're the most important person in the room. I'm very happy with his work.
Stop looking around, just go see him.
Dr. Shamma spent a good amount of time taking with us about the the process and explaining why he was doing what he was doing. He was up-front and honest and even gave us his cell number so we could call if we had any questions. He never hurried or pressured us in any way
During the process of harvesting the eggs he find y or that they hadn't matured as expected. He then choose to give another trigger injection and then return the next day where they successfully received 10 eggs. He also insisted, based on evidence, on using Intracytoplasmic sperm injection for all the eggs as he found it more beneficial.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
They were all very pleasant and efficient. No complaints.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Everyone at the clinic is friendly and treat you like a person. we never had to wait very long for appointment and they were always on top of everything. the only downside is that if you live far away from their main Treatment Center you might have to drive but that's not really a big deal.
I think about $10,000 for full IVF including egg harvesting and another $10,000 for meds and such for the first cycle. The second transfer was between $5,000-$8,000

Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I love Dr. Shamma. His presence alone made me feel comfortable right away. Although he had to tell my husband and I why we haven't been able to conceive all these years and was blunt, he was also very compassionate and choose his words wisely....I'm a new patient in Dr. Shamma's office so we started off with 10 days of Provera to induce my period (since I have irregular cycles due to PCOS) which I did receive my menstrual cycle. I'm currently on Metformin and I take 2,000mg a day. I take Vitamin D 2,000 iu and am also on Birth Control.
I'm still pretty new [to IVF Michigan-Sylvania] so not sure what weaknesses they have but some of their strengths are communication, I like how much they spend communicating with you to make sure you understand and know what's going on. Another strength they have is how organized they are and they make you feel comfortable.... The nurse I had explained everything thoroughly to me because I did have a lot of questions. She took her time making sure I understood and even wrote everything down for me so that I wouldn't forget.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
I love Dr. Shamma. His presence alone made me feel comfortable right away. Although he had to tell my husband and I why we haven't been able to conceive all these years and was blunt, he was also very compassionate and choose his words wisely. I know I can put all my trust into him because he answered all my questions throughly without making me feel like I had to rush and genuinely made me feel important because he listened to everything my husband and I had to say. I'm so glad I met Dr. Shamma!
He's very firm but compassionate.
Dr. Shamma was very polite and has a warm side to him. He explained everything throughly even though it was hard to hear. He's very patient and kind.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
I'm still pretty new so not sure what weaknesses they have but some of their strengths are communication, I like how much they spend communicating with you to make sure you understand and know what's going on. Another strength they have is how organized they are and they make you feel comfortable.
Still a brand new patient.

2013 - 2018
[Dr. Nicholas Shamma is] Very straightforward, discussed all options with me, described in detail what he was planning for my cycles and what to expect. Was very empathetic, compassionate, and optimistic... Stimulation with bravele and menopur and ganirelix added to prevent premature ovulation. Trigger was used with lupron due to previous hyperoverian stimulation using HCG and producing over 50+ follicles. Also used lovenox. Only fresh cycle used under dr shamma. Embryos produced resulted in 3 children.
[IVF MI- Bloomfield Hills'] Strength is knowledgeable physicians, good and efficient support staff, state of the art technology and facility. Weakness is wait times and busy clinic. Costs have significantly gone up over the years as well.... Had to make monitoring appts in the morning, ran efficiently though. Usually had to wait if dr wanted to see me also.... Fresh cycle with transfer was about $12,000. Additional fees for associated procedures, monitoring and labs, anesthesia were probably a few thousand dollars. Medications were additional costs. Frozen embryo transfer costs went up substantially over the years. First one was about $4000 and went up to about $6000 the next transfer
2013 - 2018
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Very straightforward, discussed all options with me, described in detail what he was planning for my cycles and what to expect. Was very empathetic, compassionate, and optimistic. I am happy to have had him lead me to my journey of motherhood. Highly recommend dr shamma.
He is very compassionate and honest. Might not tell you what you want to hear but he does so in a very caring way. Also has so much experience in treating infertility.
Very caring, knowledgeable, and compassionate
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
All very knowledgeable and caring. Answered all questions and was very efficient with prescriptions and prior authorizations.
Bloomfield Hills

Dr Shamma never needs reminding about our situation or past experience. I know he sees many clients throughout the duration of IVF cycles. While he's extremely efficient and gets to the point quite quickly, he has never rushed us out and if/when we have questions, he answers them thoroughly.... He has also made time for me outside of scheduled visits. I have received calls from him and also called him directly. After this last failed cycle, I was definitely hesitant to try a 6th round.
You do not feel like a number at the clinic [IVF Michigan]. Calling is even an easy, enjoyable experience. The only negative is that you can wait quite a while prior to appointments (I have waited an upwards of 45 minutes past my appointment time). Again, this is my only complaint.... The nurses I interacted with were hands down the best nurses I've ever met. In a situation that has so many ups and downs, they helped me every step of the way. I cannot say enough great things about the Ann Arbor team.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
I have done 5 rounds of IVF with Dr Shamma. Dr Shamma is honest, direct and smart as hell. Following every failed cycle, Dr Shamma has made time to meet with us and talk about our options. He has also made time for me outside of scheduled visits. I have received calls from him and also called him directly. After this last failed cycle, I was definitely hesitant to try a 6th round. After talking to Dr Shamma, who is not only sincere, but also motivating, I am going to give it another go. If it weren't worth trying (i.e., if we were a hopeless cause), I know he would tell us it's time to stop.
He may come across as abrupt or hurried, but he will answer every single one of your questions. He will acquaint himself with every aspect of your situation. He will do everything in his power to help you conceive. He does genuinely care about you as a patient.
Dr Shamma never needs reminding about our situation or past experience. I know he sees many clients throughout the duration of IVF cycles. While he's extremely efficient and gets to the point quite quickly, he has never rushed us out and if/when we have questions, he answers them thoroughly. When I have asked him difficult or uncomfortable questions, Dr Shamma looks me in the eyes and provides candid responses. It's not always rainbows and roses, but it's the truth and I trust him. Even though we have had a difficult time conceiving, I wouldn't go to another doctor.
Ovarian stimulation protocols with antagonist. Medications utilized during IVF cycle: Birth Control Pills, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Pregnyl, Progesterone in Oil, Estrogen, Lovenox, Aspirin, Methylprednisolone. Also prescribed (at my request) supplements and pre-natal vitamins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: I saw Cathy & Kerri most frequently.)
I could not have done this without them (literally and figuratively). The nurses I interacted with were hands down the best nurses I've ever met. In a situation that has so many ups and downs, they helped me every step of the way. I cannot say enough great things about the Ann Arbor team.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
You do not feel like a number at the clinic. Calling is even an easy, enjoyable experience. The only negative is that you can wait quite a while prior to appointments (I have waited an upwards of 45 minutes past my appointment time). Again, this is my only complaint.
IVF Michigan will only transfer 2 (max) embryos.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Shamma may not have the best bed side manner, however when we asked him to slow down or repeat himself when something was unclear, he obliged. He did not get frustrated with our questions (and we had a lot!). His strengths are compassion, empathy and confidence in his work... We did not have any donors (eggs or sperm) so after the embryos made it past the five day period, 4 of our 8 made it to genetic testing and 1 of our 4 were genetically "healthy." If we had not followed Dr. Shamma's advice, we may have experienced more miscarriages.
The nursing staff [at IVF Michigan] was amazing. They were always ready to answer questions and there was only one nurse (who I tried to avoid) that ever made me feel like I was a bother to her. There was one nurse that specifically wanted to call us with the positive pregnancy test and said that she wanted to make the phone call because she was so happy for us. The nurses were well organized and responsive and empathetic to our concerns and quickly responded to any questions. I miss them terribly now that we're with our OB GYN.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Dr. Shamma may not have the best bed side manner, however when we asked him to slow down or repeat himself when something was unclear, he obliged. He did not get frustrated with our questions (and we had a lot!). His strengths are compassion, empathy and confidence in his work. I would say that Dr. Shamma's weakness is his bed side manner because it could be a bit better. With that said, I'd rather have someone who does their job well and may not be sugary sweet than have the opposite.
Take notes during every appointment. There were times that we walked out and I felt like I heard everything, but retained nothing! Just so much information to take in. Don't be afraid to clarify!! This is your treatment and your dream of having a sweet little one.
Dr. Shamma always called us by our names and shook our hands at every visit. The nurses and other staff at the clinic are personable (except one that always seemed grumpy) and extremely helpful. Even now, after our transfer is complete and I call to make a payment or need something, they are quick to respond and happy to help.
We did not have a problem getting pregnant, however, lost three pregnancies in a row, therefore, Dr. Shamma identified the importance of being able to genetically test our embryos. I was on a number of different injections including injections that increased follicles to get more eggs during the retrieval and also injections that held the release of eggs until the day of retrieval. We did not have any donors (eggs or sperm) so after the embryos made it past the five day period, 4 of our 8 made it to genetic testing and 1 of our 4 were genetically "healthy." If we had not followed Dr. Shamma's advice, we may have experienced more miscarriages.
The nursing staff was amazing. They were always ready to answer questions and there was only one nurse (who I tried to avoid) that ever made me feel like I was a bother to her. There was one nurse that specifically wanted to call us with the positive pregnancy test and said that she wanted to make the phone call because she was so happy for us. The nurses were well organized and responsive and empathetic to our concerns and quickly responded to any questions. I miss them terribly now that we're with our OB GYN.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Strengths of the clinic would be that that everyone seems to be happy to be there (again except for one who always seemed grumpy). We had our treatments done in the Michigan office and the nurses there were so extremely sweet and comforting. I told my husband one of the times that I felt like my mom was there with us because they were so sweet and wanted to make sure that we were doing okay. The weaknesses are really hard to think about....I guess we did feel rushed out of the appointments sometimes, but there were always people in the waiting room and I know we were not their only patients.
$20,000 plus the $3,200 for medications.
We only had one to transfer, however Dr. Shamma made it clear that they would only transfer one embryo at a time. I trusted this decision from Dr. Shamma and he explained his reasoning to me when I asked. He explained that we've already experienced loss and are considered high risk up until a certain point and would like to increase the chances as much as possible of us having a healthy and successful pregnancy.

4 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Overall we think we had a great experience with Dr. Shammas office. We do feel that on our fourth round of IVF treatment we could have been tested for a few more Things that would have resulted in us saving our money and using surrogacy vs. me trying to carry again.... He used everything protocol. We did every medication that was possible to give. It was our fourth time trying and we didn’t want to miss anything at all. We used genetically tested embryos so we had to use blood thinners as well.
I would make sure you have a full work up done with blood and everything in between. We came from another clinic so it was a bit confusing on what we were tested for and not tested for.... Nurses [IVF Michigan] were absolutely wonderful! Kind and caring and we’re very compassionate. They communicated wonderfully and always kept in touch. We loved them!... $26,000 was spent on our ivf process along with the genetic testing.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Overall we think we had a great experience with Dr. Shammas office. We do feel that on our fourth round of IVF treatment we could have been tested for a few more Things that would have resulted in us saving our money and using surrogacy vs. me trying to carry again. We have gone trough 4 IUI’s and two full rounds of ivf along with 4 transfers. We want nothing more than to be parents to a child and if we were chosen for this it would truly be a dream come true to me and my husband.
To cover everything from top to bottom throughly. I feel the further you get into IVF treatments, the more you learn about testing. I wish there was someway that every patient could have a one on one visit with some who prior went through ivf treatments.
I feel that there were so many people Going through cycles at the same time it almost felt as if we were being pushed through. I don’t feel as if all issues were tested for prior to our last transfer and it resulted in a miscarriage. Following up with him we did more blood work that resulted in having a mossisim gene?! We felt that this could have prevented our last miss carriage and we could have used a surrogate from the vet go.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl and Lori )
Nurses were absolutely wonderful! Kind and caring and we’re very compassionate. They communicated wonderfully and always kept in touch. We loved them!
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
The nurses were absolutely wonderful! I would make sure you have a full work up done with blood and everything in between. We came from another clinic so it was a bit confusing on what we were tested for and not tested for. All around we have had a tough time with the ivf process and have been trying to conceive for 5 years and have had many ups and downs with the whole process. We have tried everything and have negative outcomes. We will keep a positive attitude and keep chugging.
$26,000 was spent on our ivf process along with the genetic testing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
My husband and I were never tested through the last 5 years for a general genetic testing for blood work. I did some research online and came across karoytype testing and had it ordered. Mine came back not normal and have some rare genetic gene. If we would have known that we would have used surrogacy initially and saved us the heartbreak of another failed cycle.

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
He [Dr. Shamma] is extremely busy so while he will absolutely take the time needed with you and will answer questions your time with him might feel a little limited...We opted to try reciprocal IVF for my wife and I. He was clear with us that my egg reserve was low but was confident he would get some good eggs for us to use. He did decide to prolong and up my meds during the process to produce more eggs. We ended up with 2 good embryos, one a little further along than the other. Unfortunately, we were unable to get pregnant during that cycle. We decided to move forward with IUI for our next cycle due to financial limitations.
We opted to try reciprocal IVF for my wife and I [at IVF Michigan Fertility Center]...Unfortunately, we were unable to get pregnant during that cycle...I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff. They were all very knowledgeable and passionate about their work...Costs are high but seem to be in line with the industry standard...Take the class before you start your cycle, it is so helpful. They seem to respond to emails faster than calls but always have a quick repose. On says when you need lab work we found it best to get to the office as early as possible because otherwise it can be timely having to wait.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Overall, I was very pleased with the care I received from Dr. Shamma. He can be a little cut and dry and direct but he compassion is always there. He has excellent bed side manner and my partner and I both felt he was very invested in our care.
He is extremely busy so while he will absolutely take the time needed with you and will answer questions your time with him might feel a little limited.
Dr Shamma was always warm and compassionate. He would address both my wife and I by our names and remembered details of our lives.
I can't say enough good things about the nursing staff. They were all very knowledgeable and passionate about their work. We were sad to leave their care when we got regnant and moved to our Midwife.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Get there as early as you can. Later in the day can have some back ups but early mornings usually went quickly.
Costs are high but seem to be in line with the industry standard.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He [Dr. Nicholas Shamma] was amazing. To the point and blunt about our issues, which is what I wanted. He explained things thoroughly and talked in normal people terms, not just medical talk. Any question I had he made sure to take the time and explain it or explain what will happen next... We went straight to IVF. I was on meds to get my eggs nice and large (I cant remember them all). We did a hysc (? Spelling) to make sure there was no blockage. Then retrieval and transfer per usual. We transferred 2 eggs and 1 survived
They [the nurses at IVF Michigan- Saginaw] always made sure to answer my questions. Even during a late night when I was unsure which meds to use lori answered the phone and showed so much compassion towards us. Betsy also answers the phone on easter Sunday and after I apologized many times she told me that's what they were there for. They both always wished me luck every single time I talked to them
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
He was amazing. To the point and blunt about our issues, which is what I wanted. He explained things thoroughly and talked in normal people terms, not just medical talk. Any question I had he made sure to take the time and explain it or explain what will happen next
If you are not ok with straight forward answers he might not be a good fit for you
He was concerned about our case and our issues. Absolutely amazing to work with. The nurses, betsy and lori are amazing as well
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: Betsy and Lori)
They always made sure to answer my questions. Even during a late night when I was unsure which meds to use lori answered the phone and showed so much compassion towards us. Betsy also answers the phone on easter Sunday and after I apologized many times she told me that's what they were there for. They both always wished me luck every single time I talked to them
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Everything was absolutely perfect. Clean, neat, welcoming. We loved it. Even if they were super busy they always made you feel like a person. Not just another paycheck. Even the receptionist was welcoming from the moment we got there
They were quicker than I imagined them being but again, if I had questioned they were always answered.
I believe it was roughly $20,000
They told us the pros and cons of single and multiple transfer. My husband and I chose to do 2 embryos
Saginaw
My wife and I both found Dr. Shamma to be very passionate about his work. He is very matter of fact, and pretty cut and dry about his delivery but we both liked that about him. We did reciprocal IVF using my wife's eggs and me as the carrier ... He had a plan ready for us for our next steps ... Sometimes it was pretty quick and in and out of the room during appointments but I didn't feel rushed. If we had questions he always answered them and made sure we understood.
We were nervous about being a same sex couple and if we would be treated the same as any other couple and we were. ... Everything seemed to run very smoothly. There were a couple of times we waited awhile to be seen [IVF Michigan] but it wasn't terrible ... I can't say enough good things about the nursing and office staff at this office. They were all so nice and respectful to my wife and I...
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
My wife and I both found Dr. Shamma to be very passionate about his work. He is very matter of fact, and pretty cut and dry about his delivery but we both liked that about him. We did reciprocal IVF using my wife's eggs and me as the carrier and when we unfortunately did not get pregnant I could swear I saw his eyes tear up a little during our follow up consultation. He had a plan ready for us for our next steps and after we ended up getting pregnant on our 2nd IUI procedure. Sometimes it was pretty quick and in and out of the room during appointments but I didn't feel rushed. If we had questions he always answered them and made sure we understood.
Make the best of the time you have with him. He is very busy but will make the time for you when you have it.
Both Dr. Shamma and his staff always referred to us by name. They were knowledgeable of our case and circumstances. Everyone treated us kindly and was very welcoming.
I can't say enough good things about the nursing and office staff at this office. They were all so nice and respectful to my wife and I. We were nervous about being a same sex couple and if we would be treated the same as any other couple and we were. They are quick to get back to you by phone or email with questions and explain everything very well. Michelle was our favorite nurse! She's awesome
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Everything seemed to run very smoothly. There were a couple of times we waited awhile to be seen but it wasn't terrible. Be sure to go to the class that they offer before your IVF cycle begins. You learn a TON of good info.
Get there as soon as possible if you want to get in and out quickly. I usually arrived by 730 and was to work usually within 2 hours.

Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Shamma is very engaging. I let him know right away that I also work in a medical field, while my husband does not. So, our conversations were very professional and scientific, while theirs were quite a bit less technical.... I have severe PCOS, so I first saw Dr Shamma for a hysteroscopy and to determine if having children was even an option. The hysteroscopy and metformin treatments were successful, to a point. The physical changes went well, but my hormones were still very much out of balance. After several months of not cycling, again, I am back on metformin and am about to have a water sono and start injections for IVF.
In the clinic [IVF Michigan], they are wonderful. Since the doctors rotate through other locations, as well, it is hard for them to get info right away, unless it happens to be a day that the doctor is right with them.... Be prepared to drive around the area. The doctors rotate through different locations, so Mondays will be here, Tuesdays there, etc. That can make things complicated for scheduling. It can also slow general communications down.
Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Make sure you have a list of questions to ask and go over, even if it is just to request a copy of the treatment plan steps.
While I was in clinic, I was very much engaged with. However, it has been difficult to communicate with them otherwise, especially getting a call back in what I would consider a timely manner.
In the clinic, they are wonderful. Since the doctors rotate through other locations, as well, it is hard for them to get info right away, unless it happens to be a day that the doctor is right with them.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
My insurance covers almost everything, so it has only been a few hundred dollars.
As I have severe PCOS, husband has severe male factor, and we are both older and overweight, we have agreed with Dr Shamma that we need to wait to see how I react to the medications. It will depend on how the egg retrievals and development go. Dr Shamma is willing to do two embryos, in our case, if we so choose and have the quality eggs to do so.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
When I had my initial hysteroscopy, I also had a biopsy done, and was to have a two week progress exam to create a treatment plan from there. This is not typical, so when the nurse called to let me know they got clear results, she missed the info as to why I was supposed to have a re-examination, and just said that I didn't need to come in, and that they would just send on all of the pertinent info to my regular OB-GYN. It got sorted out, but it took a few weeks.
Sylvania
He [Dr. Shamma] has been phenomenal in our journey. After our miscarriage he was truly upset, and he moved his schedule around to meet with us. He has done this now twice... has treated me as a daughter. He has been phenomenal through multiple losses, and sat by our sides as we emotionally broke down. He continues to work to help us bring a child into this world. Still have yet to have a successful pregnancy, but each miscarriage he has worked to adjust his schedule to meet with me and my husband.
Get to know the ladies that are nurses [at IVF Michigan]. They will be working with you quite a bit...The nurses have become like a second family, and I feel comfortable asking them anything that I need...Monitoring before the egg retrieval was done a bit more by blocked hours in the morning. However, my ultrasounds were always w [Dr. Shamma]. He even would have his staff squeeze me in early in the morning to not force me to wait through the day!
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
Dr. Shamma has treated me as a daughter. He has been phenomenal through multiple losses, and sat by our sides as we emotionally broke down. He continues to work to help us bring a child into this world. Still have yet to have a successful pregnancy, but each miscarriage he has worked to adjust his schedule to meet with me and my husband.
Bedside manner aside, once you get to know dr shamma, you will see that he has a phenomenal heart and one goal- to help you bring life into this world. He has one of the best labs around and I believe the combination of a great doctor and a great lab are a huge part of success.
He has been phenomenal in our journey. After our miscarriage he was truly upset, and he moved his schedule around to meet with us. He has done this now twice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers. (Assigned nurse: Michelle, Bev, and Shirley. Have spoke with Emily as well! they are all phenomenal!)
My primary nurse is Michelle, but i have spoken w Bev multiple times as well as Shirley! Michelle has been an amazing support system for me and my husband. Her and Bev and cami the nurse in the Bloodwork lab sat and talked me through my first miscarriage and what to expect with my Endometriosis and d&c. They shared their stories and allowed me to ask anything I could think of. The entire office has been beyond supportive. I will forever be appreciative of the impact they have made on my life.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
Get to know the ladies that are nurses. They will be working with you quite a bit. I am a believer in the more you care about people, the more they will care about you. The nurses have become like a second family, and I feel comfortable asking them anything that I need.
Monitoring before the egg retrieval was done a bit more by blocked hours in the morning. However, my ultrasounds were always w shamma. He even would have his staff squeeze me in early in the morning to not force me to wait through the day!
Would truly have to add everything up. Would be around 30k
I had my embryos pgs tested. Dr shamma wanted to transfer one for our first transfer. Both embryos implanted, and one split. I lost triplets during my first miscarriage. He recommended one for the next transfer!
Bloomfield Hills

He [Dr. Shamma] felt strongly about not transferring more than 2. He does not do embryo reduction at his clinic, I am not sure if that is why he limits his numbers or not...After the procedure he didn’t mention if we would move forward with the transfer or freeze, I had to bring it up, after I had just woke up from anesthesia. At that point he acted like of course I should know we were going to freeze, with no explanation of what was going on. This resulted in an additional 2600$, plus more med costs we were not prepared for.
12,000$ for the procedure, 2,650$ for embryo thaw, 250$ for mock transfer [at IVF Michigan]...Strengths: great nurses, nice comfortable office, easy to get an appointment that worked with my work schedule Weaknesses: all procedures are done at a different office which is 1.5 hrs away from Toledo. Doctor isn’t always there, the nurses and office staff run the show... When we moved on to IVF I was on menopur, gonal, ganirelix and did hcg as my trigger shot. I did ok with all of those. My estrogen level went too high and so after retrieval my transfer was cancelled and embryos frozen. I am now preparing for the frozen embryo transfer and they have me on lupron, estrace, vivelle dot and eventually will start the poi. I did have to have a cyst aspiration prior to starting my meds for retrieval and he did a mock transfer.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan Fertility Centers?
He seems to be very knowledgeable and good at his job. I just get the feeling he is too busy and just wants to move his patients along and make that money. Again, as long as I end up with a baby, I don’t care too much but my experience thus far hasn’t been stellar.
Come prepared with all your questions. Ask for all possible avenues your treatment could take and what that means financially. Do as much research as you can ahead of time so you know what to ask.
He did not take the time to explain much to me. All of that is left to the nurses. We had what I would consider a huge change in plan. After my egg retrieval transfer was cancelled and my embryos were frozen due to their concern for OHSS. My retrieval was on a Sunday and I had never been told this was even a possibility until Fri evening when the nurse mentioned “he may want to freeze but he will make the call on Sunday”. Come procedure day I was taken back to the OR before the doctor was even there. I laid on the OR table for almost 25 min, awake, in stirrups before he finally arrived. Very scary and awkward. After the procedure he didn’t mention if we would move forward with the transfer or freeze, I had to bring it up, after I had just woke up from anesthesia. At that point he acted like of course I should know we were going to freeze, with no explanation of what was going on. This resulted in an additional 2600$, plus more med costs we were not prepared for. I had to call the nurse the next day to get an explanation of why we wouldn’t be transferring. I also called he office manager and explained my frustrations with the events. She waived half of the additional procedure fees which was nice, but I never heard from my doctor. I have not yet had my transfer so we will see if things improve, but at this point I do feel like a number. I am a nurse and get that my doctor doesn’t need to give me the warm fuzzies if they do their job well, but with something this serious and emotional I would at least like him to act like he cares.
We began with my husband trying clomid (didn’t work) and then hcg (didn’t work). When we moved on to IVF I was on menopur, gonal, ganirelix and did hcg as my trigger shot. I did ok with all of those. My estrogen level went too high and so after retrieval my transfer was cancelled and embryos frozen. I am now preparing for the frozen embryo transfer and they have me on lupron, estrace, vivelle dot and eventually will start the poi. I did have to have a cyst aspiration prior to starting my meds for retrieval and he did a mock transfer.
I love the nursing staff. They run the show at this clinic. They are efficient, knowledgeable, organized, compassionate and communicate well. Megan and Emily are the absolute best.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan Fertility Centers.
12,000$ for the procedure, 2,650$ for embryo thaw, 250$ for mock transfer, not sure on my meds. My insurance covered 10,000$ of meds so I only came out of pocket about 800$ for meds.
He felt strongly about not transferring more than 2. He does not do embryo reduction at his clinic, I am not sure if that is why he limits his numbers or not.