IVF Michigan

Nurse available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolAmerican U. Of Beirut
3145 Clark Rd.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
6711 Monroe St.
Sylvania, OH 43560
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Nicholas Shamma to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVF Michigan to a friend?
2013 - 2018
[Dr. Nicholas Shamma is] Very straightforward, discussed all options with me, described in detail what he was planning for my cycles and what to expect. Was very empathetic, compassionate, and optimistic... Stimulation with bravele and menopur and ganirelix added to prevent premature ovulation. Trigger was used with lupron due to previous hyperoverian stimulation using HCG and producing over 50+ follicles. Also used lovenox. Only fresh cycle used under dr shamma. Embryos produced resulted in 3 children.
2013 - 2018
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Very straightforward, discussed all options with me, described in detail what he was planning for my cycles and what to expect. Was very empathetic, compassionate, and optimistic. I am happy to have had him lead me to my journey of motherhood. Highly recommend dr shamma.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He is very compassionate and honest. Might not tell you what you want to hear but he does so in a very caring way. Also has so much experience in treating infertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Very caring, knowledgeable, and compassionate
Describe the protocols Nicholas Shamma used in your cycles at IVF Michigan and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
All very knowledgeable and caring. Answered all questions and was very efficient with prescriptions and prior authorizations.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Strength is knowledgeable physicians, good and efficient support staff, state of the art technology and facility. Weakness is wait times and busy clinic. Costs have significantly gone up over the years as well.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at IVF Michigan.
Had to make monitoring appts in the morning, ran efficiently though. Usually had to wait if dr wanted to see me also.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan.
Fresh cycle with transfer was about $12,000. Additional fees for associated procedures, monitoring and labs, anesthesia were probably a few thousand dollars. Medications were additional costs. Frozen embryo transfer costs went up substantially over the years. First one was about $4000 and went up to about $6000 the next transfer
Bloomfield Hills
Dr Shamma never needs reminding about our situation or past experience. I know he sees many clients throughout the duration of IVF cycles. While he's extremely efficient and gets to the point quite quickly, he has never rushed us out and if/when we have questions, he answers them thoroughly.... He has also made time for me outside of scheduled visits. I have received calls from him and also called him directly. After this last failed cycle, I was definitely hesitant to try a 6th round.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
I have done 5 rounds of IVF with Dr Shamma. Dr Shamma is honest, direct and smart as hell. Following every failed cycle, Dr Shamma has made time to meet with us and talk about our options. He has also made time for me outside of scheduled visits. I have received calls from him and also called him directly. After this last failed cycle, I was definitely hesitant to try a 6th round. After talking to Dr Shamma, who is not only sincere, but also motivating, I am going to give it another go. If it weren't worth trying (i.e., if we were a hopeless cause), I know he would tell us it's time to stop.
He may come across as abrupt or hurried, but he will answer every single one of your questions. He will acquaint himself with every aspect of your situation. He will do everything in his power to help you conceive. He does genuinely care about you as a patient.
Dr Shamma never needs reminding about our situation or past experience. I know he sees many clients throughout the duration of IVF cycles. While he's extremely efficient and gets to the point quite quickly, he has never rushed us out and if/when we have questions, he answers them thoroughly. When I have asked him difficult or uncomfortable questions, Dr Shamma looks me in the eyes and provides candid responses. It's not always rainbows and roses, but it's the truth and I trust him. Even though we have had a difficult time conceiving, I wouldn't go to another doctor.
Ovarian stimulation protocols with antagonist. Medications utilized during IVF cycle: Birth Control Pills, Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Pregnyl, Progesterone in Oil, Estrogen, Lovenox, Aspirin, Methylprednisolone. Also prescribed (at my request) supplements and pre-natal vitamins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: I saw Cathy & Kerri most frequently.)
I could not have done this without them (literally and figuratively). The nurses I interacted with were hands down the best nurses I've ever met. In a situation that has so many ups and downs, they helped me every step of the way. I cannot say enough great things about the Ann Arbor team.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
You do not feel like a number at the clinic. Calling is even an easy, enjoyable experience. The only negative is that you can wait quite a while prior to appointments (I have waited an upwards of 45 minutes past my appointment time). Again, this is my only complaint.
Describe Nicholas Shamma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Michigan.
IVF Michigan will only transfer 2 (max) embryos.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Shamma may not have the best bed side manner, however when we asked him to slow down or repeat himself when something was unclear, he obliged. He did not get frustrated with our questions (and we had a lot!). His strengths are compassion, empathy and confidence in his work... We did not have any donors (eggs or sperm) so after the embryos made it past the five day period, 4 of our 8 made it to genetic testing and 1 of our 4 were genetically "healthy." If we had not followed Dr. Shamma's advice, we may have experienced more miscarriages.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Shamma may not have the best bed side manner, however when we asked him to slow down or repeat himself when something was unclear, he obliged. He did not get frustrated with our questions (and we had a lot!). His strengths are compassion, empathy and confidence in his work. I would say that Dr. Shamma's weakness is his bed side manner because it could be a bit better. With that said, I'd rather have someone who does their job well and may not be sugary sweet than have the opposite.
Take notes during every appointment. There were times that we walked out and I felt like I heard everything, but retained nothing! Just so much information to take in. Don't be afraid to clarify!! This is your treatment and your dream of having a sweet little one.
Dr. Shamma always called us by our names and shook our hands at every visit. The nurses and other staff at the clinic are personable (except one that always seemed grumpy) and extremely helpful. Even now, after our transfer is complete and I call to make a payment or need something, they are quick to respond and happy to help.
We did not have a problem getting pregnant, however, lost three pregnancies in a row, therefore, Dr. Shamma identified the importance of being able to genetically test our embryos. I was on a number of different injections including injections that increased follicles to get more eggs during the retrieval and also injections that held the release of eggs until the day of retrieval. We did not have any donors (eggs or sperm) so after the embryos made it past the five day period, 4 of our 8 made it to genetic testing and 1 of our 4 were genetically "healthy." If we had not followed Dr. Shamma's advice, we may have experienced more miscarriages.
The nursing staff was amazing. They were always ready to answer questions and there was only one nurse (who I tried to avoid) that ever made me feel like I was a bother to her. There was one nurse that specifically wanted to call us with the positive pregnancy test and said that she wanted to make the phone call because she was so happy for us. The nurses were well organized and responsive and empathetic to our concerns and quickly responded to any questions. I miss them terribly now that we're with our OB GYN.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Strengths of the clinic would be that that everyone seems to be happy to be there (again except for one who always seemed grumpy). We had our treatments done in the Michigan office and the nurses there were so extremely sweet and comforting. I told my husband one of the times that I felt like my mom was there with us because they were so sweet and wanted to make sure that we were doing okay. The weaknesses are really hard to think about....I guess we did feel rushed out of the appointments sometimes, but there were always people in the waiting room and I know we were not their only patients.
$20,000 plus the $3,200 for medications.
We only had one to transfer, however Dr. Shamma made it clear that they would only transfer one embryo at a time. I trusted this decision from Dr. Shamma and he explained his reasoning to me when I asked. He explained that we've already experienced loss and are considered high risk up until a certain point and would like to increase the chances as much as possible of us having a healthy and successful pregnancy.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Overall we think we had a great experience with Dr. Shammas office. We do feel that on our fourth round of IVF treatment we could have been tested for a few more Things that would have resulted in us saving our money and using surrogacy vs. me trying to carry again.... He used everything protocol. We did every medication that was possible to give. It was our fourth time trying and we didn’t want to miss anything at all. We used genetically tested embryos so we had to use blood thinners as well.
4 IUI, 2 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Overall we think we had a great experience with Dr. Shammas office. We do feel that on our fourth round of IVF treatment we could have been tested for a few more Things that would have resulted in us saving our money and using surrogacy vs. me trying to carry again. We have gone trough 4 IUI’s and two full rounds of ivf along with 4 transfers. We want nothing more than to be parents to a child and if we were chosen for this it would truly be a dream come true to me and my husband.
To cover everything from top to bottom throughly. I feel the further you get into IVF treatments, the more you learn about testing. I wish there was someway that every patient could have a one on one visit with some who prior went through ivf treatments.
I feel that there were so many people Going through cycles at the same time it almost felt as if we were being pushed through. I don’t feel as if all issues were tested for prior to our last transfer and it resulted in a miscarriage. Following up with him we did more blood work that resulted in having a mossisim gene?! We felt that this could have prevented our last miss carriage and we could have used a surrogate from the vet go.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Cheryl and Lori )
Nurses were absolutely wonderful! Kind and caring and we’re very compassionate. They communicated wonderfully and always kept in touch. We loved them!
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The nurses were absolutely wonderful! I would make sure you have a full work up done with blood and everything in between. We came from another clinic so it was a bit confusing on what we were tested for and not tested for. All around we have had a tough time with the ivf process and have been trying to conceive for 5 years and have had many ups and downs with the whole process. We have tried everything and have negative outcomes. We will keep a positive attitude and keep chugging.
$26,000 was spent on our ivf process along with the genetic testing.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Shamma viewed our infertility as a "Slam Dunk" for pregnancy. We are young and the problems that we had were fixable with IVF. Once we had 3 failed PGS, good quality embryos transfers - we were put in the "Surrogacy" category. I felt like my Dr. gave up on me without exploring any other options. We became a problem and not a Slam Dunk as he thought... and I am sure, affecting his success numbers.... If you are a researcher, be prepared to feel belittled by your questions.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
If you are a researcher, be prepared to feel belittled by your questions. I would also recommend asking for all your records. As a patient, you are left in the dark - ie-- when getting bloodwork you will get a call saying "bloodwork is fine" and that is it. It is your right to know the details. You should also know that Dr. Shamma is very by the book and not open to new or unfounded treatments ---even if they only hurt your pocketbook.
We were perceived as a "slam dunk" couple walking through the door. A great candidate for IVF. Once 3 transfers failed, we were immediately moved onto a surrogacy recommendation. I felt like my Dr. had given up on me when I didn't become that slam dunk or helping his success numbers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Borchard)
Both Elizabeth Borchard and Lori McQuinn were absolutely wonderful. They were compassionate, helpful and truly wanted to see the best for me.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The clinics in both Saginaw, MI and Detroit, MI were both clean and well organized. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. Pleasant waiting rooms with plenty of reading materials and TV's running.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at IVF Michigan.
Those nurses were the best at keeping the "line" moving. All the patients knew the time and if you needed to get out early, you knew to be first in line at the door. I didn't see any problem with monitoring.
For IVF with PGS testing, it was $22,000
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Shamma is a knowledgeable man but he is also extremely busy and he will rush through your appointment if he can, at least that is the way he handled us.... Dr. Shamma treated me like a valid human for the most part. He told us that we had excellent odds for becoming pregnant and being that I had 3 previous miscarriages before being in his care he recommended PGS testing.... We went through with PGS testing and transferred one PGS normal embryo.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He's very knowledgeable and confident with his approach. He doesn't see you for most ultrasounds/monitoring but is the one doing your major procedures. He was quick to jump to PGS testing even though there is no guarantee, we are young and we don't have any underlying issues family wise. So we trusted his outlook and still miscarried using a PGS normal embryo. I'm not saying he was wrong to push PGS but he wasn't upfront that it could potentially still end in heartbreak. So that came as a shock to us; we wish he would have explained it better.
Do your research, ask a million and two questions. Don't leave the office without being sure of what's to come. Dr. Shamma is a knowledgeable man but he is also extremely busy and he will rush through your appointment if he can, at least that is the way he handled us. So make sure you have your questions ready to go and get them answered. Your time is precious too.
Dr. Shamma treated me like a valid human for the most part. He told us that we had excellent odds for becoming pregnant and being that I had 3 previous miscarriages before being in his care he recommended PGS testing. Which was an additional $5000. We are young, healthy and as far as anyone can tell us we have unexplained infertility. We went through with PGS testing and transferred one PGS normal embryo. Everything was textbook perfect, we ended up pregnant with perfect high and doubling betas. Our first ultrasound at 6 weeks showed the gestational sac and flicker of a heartbeat. It was all downhill after that; Shamma wouldn't give me a copy of that ultrasound and said "you don't want that" and said we will check again a week later. He said he saw some concerning things during the ultrasound like the sac was not very big and something about the baby being too far to the right corner of it? He didn't elaborate and left the room quickly. We were crushed, there's a heartbeat!! The following week we confirmed the heartbeat was gone and I would miscarry. No answers as to why; no compassion. We did a D&C and the embryo came back as normal tissue. Shamma's answer for that was that I'm the problem. I now need a gestational carrier and there is no hope for me to ever carry a baby. He heard that my husband has a sister (with 4 healthy children) and said perfect! He jumped right into that and didn't want to discuss myself carrying after that. He won't use our remaining embryo with me. My SIL is not an option, she won't do it for us. Shamma didn't care to look at other options, said there was nothing more he could do and to come back when we found a Gestational Carrier. That's when I officially felt like a number. He also told us the sex of the miscarried baby, it was female, which we didn't ask to know. We left very disappointed and have now moved on to getting more opinions.
Dr. Shamma used the maximum protocol with us for transfer. He had me on low dose aspirin, 40mg of lovenox daily, estrace, vivelle patch (every 3 days), and progesterone in oil injections. I also was given Amoxicillin the week of transfer and started steroids a few days before and a few days after (5 days total).
The nurses got to know us very well; they communicated with me often and were always quick to call me back. There was one mishap where the new nurse on staff didn't explain everything to me and I didn't know to take my estrace after transfer because she made my calendar up and forgot to include it. I called and questioned it and caught the mistake after 2 days. Dr. Shamma advised that wouldn't have an effect on my pregnancy because I was also on the patch, but i'll never know if that had anything to do with our miscarriage.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Overall we had no major issues with the clinic itself. While I do feel they are overpriced, they are competitive with other clinics in Michigan and Dr. Shamma is very well known so that comes with a higher price tag. The front desk was always helpful in scheduling appointments, etc when I was working with them. I will say that when we went to get another opinion they weren't quick to send over my medical history and it took a couple phone calls to get that completed.
We paid for a multiple cycle treatment - meaning 3 egg retrievals and unlimited transfers (depending on number of eggs) for $21,500. This program did not allow for PGS to be added; so when Dr. Shamma advised we needed PGS testing after 3 miscarriages we had to break contract. We had the remainder of our prepaid money go towards another retrieval and transfer but needed to pay an additional $5000 at that time for PGS. We are now out of funds completely as that last transfer failed; so we ended up having 2 eggs retrievals, 3 transfers (1 of those being PGS).
We asked for single embryo transfer due to PGS testing.
Ypsilanti
When I first met Dr Shamma, I walked out of his clinic with a full diagnosis and a plan. When he learned that I have never had an ultrasound performed, one was done that same day. He gave us different options to try and gave us our chances of conceiving each month. He is very compassionate and took his time explaining the treatment course with us and other treatments that we may decide to u dergo....He was very warm and compassionate from the very first visit, and you weren't treated as a number but as a person wanting to have a baby.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
If you are referred to go see him, go sooner than later. We waited a good 6 months to go see him after being referred, due to being scares. He was very warm and compassionate from the very first visit, and you weren't treated as a number but as a person wanting to have a baby.
Everytime we are in the clinic the staff knows our names even without a chart. Always greets us with a handshake
Femara 5 MG with ovidrel for 3 rounds, he gave us a 10% chance each month of conceiving, which every cycle failed due to my severe PCOD. We are going in for a consult soon to discuss other options such as IVF which he gives us a 75% chance of resulting in a pregnancy.
Everytime I go in for my labs, I'm hard to get blood on. They take their time making sure that I'm doing ok. Normally I have 2 nurses at a time drawing my blood. When doing my ultrasounds if they have questions, they go get another nurse for another opinion. All labs/ultrasounds go through Dr Shamma and then they call me later that day with the next step
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The front desk staff is wonderful. Once your established as a patient, they immediately transfer you to a nurse if one is available to answer your questions. If one is not you can leave a message. They never try and answer the questions themselves.
Timed intercourse cost about 600 a round, that's just for the lab/ultrasounds. There is additional costs for the ovidrel which was 85 and 30 something for the femara
Our bodies are not meant to carry 5+ babies, he will only implant so many to help ensure that you as his patient is going to be safe. His main concern is his patients
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
I feel that Dr. Shamma is capable and very knowledgeable. His bedside manner is direct and confident. He will not offer false hope and that's positive. He is a very busy doctor and unfortunately there are moments that can cause you to feel like he's rushing or just done with your appointment before you feel like you are....I had an egg donor. So my protocol was for transfer only. I started on birth control pills the month prior to transfer to sync my cycle with my donor. At that time I had a saline ultrasound, which showed a polyp. I was scheduled for a surgery the following week to have that removed.
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Be prepared for anything.
I had an egg donor. So my protocol was for transfer only. I started on birth control pills the month prior to transfer to sync my cycle with my donor. At that time I had a saline ultrasound, which showed a polyp. I was scheduled for a surgery the following week to have that removed. I began estradiol and a low dose aspirin. I also took a multivitamin with higher folic acid in it. The day of my donors retrieval I began progesterone and oil injections. I also began taking steroid pills. I took those 3 times a day, 5 pills each time. Dr. Shamma uses this as a burst for your immune system. This was one of the most difficult parts. The steroids had many side affects for me. At transfer, we had 2 eggs put back, I continued with the progesterone and oil injections, also added in the blood thinner injection in my stomach. Can not think of the name. Also, 5 days of an antibiotic. This was to prevent any infection from the transfer. My blood was checked regularly. And my levels were always good. Unfortunately, my procedure did not result in a positive pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Betsy )
Betsy and Lori were amazing! At times they gave a bit too much information so that you felt a bit confused when you got home. However, they are more than available if you have a question and need to call them. It would have been helpful to have a binder or big folder so that we could have the information with us.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The staff at the clinic was great!
Very close to 20,000$
PCOS, Other
Dr Shamma is very knowledgeable, and he will answer all of your questions. However, he is very quick and straight to the point.... he tends to use big terms, so you have to remind him to break it down a little better for you.... When my husband and I experienced our miscarriage, he was truly empathetic to our situation. He opened up about his experience with his wife with infertility.... When something doesn’t work, he was quick to move to the next option.
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
As I previously said, Dr Shamma is very knowledgeable. He has an extensive educational back ground and he is well known in the state of Michigan for his clinic. He will answer all of your questions, he seems to genuinely care. When my husband and I experienced our miscarriage, he was truly empathetic to our situation. He opened up about his experience with his wife with infertility. He truly was sorry, and only wanted what was best for us.
Because Dr Shamma is so knowledgeable, he tends to use big terms, so you have to remind him to break it down a little better for you.
When something doesn’t work, he was quick to move to the next option. Which I liked, my husband and I have been trying for four years to have a child, and I didn’t want to play a guessing game or wait around to hope something might work. Moving on to the next option was what I wanted! I saw Dr Ayers for six months before he retired and then switched to Dr Shamma. They both had strict plans, and laid it out perfectly so that it was easy to follow. I did two rounds of Femara, the first round I was not able to make it to the office for the ultrasound, so I did another round, on this ultrasound the eggs weren’t growing like they’d hoped, so we moved on to the next option. We tried femara with I jectable hormones, and I got pregnant with twins. Unfortunately at ten weeks I had a miscarriage, but this is where Dr Shamma and the whole staff were so gracious. The nurse, Kathy, told me day or night to call her even if I just needed to cry. When we were ready to try again, we went back and Dr Shamma had the next plan for us. Because I have Factor V Leiden, he wanted to do IVF to ensure only one egg was implanted because he thought twins or greater would be too stressful for my body and I would possibly miscarry again. So this is where we, getting financing for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy was there for multiple ultrasounds, explaining things, and was truly helpful with the miscarriage. She made herself available to me day or night, for anything, to ask questions or to simply even cry.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The clinic was just remodeled so it is super fresh and clean. The equipment is up to date. The staff is excellent. Never had a single moment where they weren’t happy or helpful. They are quick to get you checked in and out. Can pay bills in person or through mail. Quick to have things faxed. Overall great clinic.
My insurance was actually very good. I only ever paid my copay, which was $40 per visit. The prescriptions were very inexpensive as well. We received paperwork regarding the IVF cycle and costs associated. It was broken down line by line indicating what each dollar was allocated to.
As I said before, I have Factor V Leiden. This is a bleeding disorder that causes clotting. Pregnancy is a hypercoagulating state, and the more babies you carry, the greater your risk is. With the bleeding disorder the risk is even higher. So with the single embryo transfer, we were able to guarantee obviously only one embryo.
Ypsilanti
I absolutely love Dr. Shamma. He was very truthful and knowledgeable. I always felt 100% at ease with him....He was very personable and had great bed side manners.... IVF with ICSi was our only option. My tubes are blocked and my husbands sperm quality and quantity were on the low end. I was on medication and injections. On retrieval day, Dr. Shamma retrieved 2 eggs. 1 turned into an embryo and was transferred on day 5. Today I have a beautiful spunky little girl.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
I absolutely love Dr. Shamma. He was very truthful and knowledgeable. I always felt 100% at ease with him. What I appreciate the most and what I will always remember is my day of transfer with Dr. Shamma. I was really nervous on the day of the transfer, and I only had 1 embryo. Dr. Shamma said a prayer for me before the transfer and stayed by my side to help comfort my husband and I. He went above and beyond to ensure that we understood every step he was taking.
Be patient when dealing with the nurses and staff. They are not the friendliest; however, Dr. Shamma is worth it!
The staff at IVF Mi were not the friendliest. Many times I would call due to an issue and have to wait 2-3 days before I got a return phone call. When I went in for monitoring, I felt like the interactions I had with the nurses were automated. However, besides the nurses and office staff, Dr. Shamma is amazing. He was very personable and had great bed side manners.
I felt like the nursing staff was not the most approachable group of people. This is probably because they are inadated with work. Many times I would call for help and not get a call back until 2-3 days.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Strengths: clean and modern environment, knowledgeable doctors who have great bedside manners Weakness: office staff is not organized, nurses can be somewhat rude, wait time are long even when you have an appointment
My husband and I paid for the guaranteed program that covered 3 fresh rounds and 3 frozen rounds. It was $19,950 plus $300 for anesthesia for each retrieval’s. Luckily, we got our baby the 1st time.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
He [Dr. Nicholas Shamma] is very honest and realistic. When we were told that my husband had no sperm, it was a shock to us and we cried in his office. He told us not to give up and even told my husband “I’m going to tell you like I’d tell my son, we will fix this someway” it was a very genuine moment with him.... He’s very forward, don’t get upset by the way he delivers results. He’s trying to get answers and doesn’t allow emotion to get in his way.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He is very honest and realistic. When we were told that my husband had no sperm, it was a shock to us and we cried in his office. He told us not to give up and even told my husband “I’m going to tell you like I’d tell my son, we will fix this someway” it was a very genuine moment with him.
It was very nice that the dr treated us well. He explained what we would need to do and he was very honest with what our outcome was looking like. However, his staff, nurses, are very rude if you call with a question. They treat you like you’re stupid and talk down to you. Very discouraging.
We dealt with a lot of nurses in the office. Some were very kind and compassionate while others were down right rude and condescending. They’d give you a packet of information and then briefly explain it, if you had questions it was like they’re were annoyed. Very discouraging. Insult to injury. They didn’t care that we were grieving the loss of our future children.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Be prepared for the bluntness of this clinic. They can be great and helpful but they don’t really care about your feelings. Not much emotional support. You will get the answers you are looking for, even if they aren’t what you’re hoping for.
Our insurance covered everything for diagnosis. IVF cycle quote we got was over $14,000
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
He [Dr. Nicholas Shamma] was very straight forward and honest with my husband and I about the plan to move forward. He said, "we will get you pregnant." I did not hear an empty promise there, I heard that he will walk us through whatever it takes. We had seen another specialist prior to Dr. Shamma that was not this way and it was exhausting. Dr. Shamma was funny, caring, friendly, knowledgeable and took his time with us.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He was very straight forward and honest with my husband and I about the plan to move forward. He said, "we will get you pregnant." I did not hear an empty promise there, I heard that he will walk us through whatever it takes. We had seen another specialist prior to Dr. Shamma that was not this way and it was exhausting. Dr. Shamma was funny, caring, friendly, knowledgeable and took his time with us.
Trust him, he knows what he is doing and also ask questions!
The nurses were very personable and happy to answer all my questions. I never felt rushed. Dr. Shamma was personable and funny and caring. Front desk staff was so accommodating and friendly. They were all very willing to work with my schedule and made me feel like I was their most important patient.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
I liked the scheduling capabilities and location availability. They had an office right by my house that I could go to for my frequent visits (ultrasounds/blood draws) This was very convenient. The nurses and front desk made me feel comfortable and were never rude and never made me feel overwhelmed. I have felt the complete opposite at the previous fertility specialist I was at so I know what to compare to!
Costs were comparable to others. I checked with three highly recommended fertility specialists in the state to compare. The only difference is that we did NOT feel "nickel and dimed" here. Everything was explained to us up front in detail as far as costs for care.
We were educated and made a decision based on what we thought was best. Dr. Shamma did not push his opinion on to us and let us know possible outcomes.
2012 - 2015
Anovulation, Other
After a thorough work up we met with him and he [Dr Nicholas Shamma] told us that IVF was our only option (due to my specific problem). He was patient and kind, answered all of our questions. Never made us to feel that he had a waiting room full of people on his mind. He was also upfront about what we should expect. Because Dr Shamma has many satellite locations in Michigan and Ohio, he is only in Saginaw every Monday.
2012 - 2015
Anovulation, Other
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
I went to Dr Shamma when I was 26. I knew I would have trouble getting pregnant but being a healthy and young I didn't think IVF was in my future. After a thorough work up we met with him and he told us that IVF was our only option (due to my specific problem). He was patient and kind, answered all of our questions. Never made us to feel that he had a waiting room full of people on his mind. He was also upfront about what we should expect. Because Dr Shamma has many satellite locations in Michigan and Ohio, he is only in Saginaw every Monday.
He was kind and positive. His demeanor was very caring.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
IVF requires frequent labs and ultrasounds so there were lots of interactions with nurses. Lori and Betsy were fantastic and made the process SO much easier. They would call you same day with lab results and were always available. Betsy even met me at the office at 5:30pm on the night of her sons high school graduation to assess an allergic reaction I was having to the progesterone in oil. I can't say enough about the office staff. I have completed my IVF and TTC journey but hope that others considering the process will be so lucky as to choose Dr Shammas office. You won't be sorry.
Total cost for a fresh cycle in 2012 was ~12-15k with drugs and for a frozen cycle in 2014 was ~10k
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr Shamma had a more aggressive, let's try everything approach. This was very much what we needed at the time after some big setbacks with previous experiences. If it had been our first experience U may have felt that he was overly aggressive, but it was what we needed at the time.... Maybe not the fuzziest person, but a good and kind doctor.... We did everything this round.. including pgs, uterine procedures, and higher doses of hormones
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Maybe not the fuzziest person, but a good and kind doctor.
The head nurse made an effort to communicate regularly with us. After a negative experience with another clinic we really needed some extra care. It wasnt perfect but they made every effort and we were much happier with our experience this time around.
We had mixed experiences with the nursing staff
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
I think going into any IVF experience you need to be prepared and ready to advocate for yourself. Dont be afraid to speak up. They tend to only gice.the information they deem necessary so if you want more info you have to ask.
Psg, all procedures and medications.. everything together at the end of the day we paid about $30,000
We did PSG and only had one viable embryo
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
He [Dr. Shamma] is very to the point, not a sweet overly loving guy. He wants answers and to make babies.... He is very well known for good results. He could have easily taken our money and done IVF without ever going into the reasons why it took so long to get pregnant and why we miscarried twins. He is very to the point, black and white. I was not sire what to expect at our initial consult but left feeling okay.
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Ask questions to make sure you are comfortable with all aspects of your care
He is very to the point, not a sweet overly loving guy. He wants answers and to make babies.
I have only been to 2 appointments so far but I have worked with 2 nurses. Each is friendly and gives me fast answers to my worry wart questions.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
IVF Michigan has several locations which is nice, it has a great reputation and tries to offer competitive pricing for folks like me who has no insurance coverage. The staff is friendly, the office is open from 8-4 daily which is nice. They are courtesy billing our insurance just in case there is any chance of somthing being covered
2014 - 2018
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Shamma is amazing at what he does. He takes his job very seriously. He wants his patients to be successful while also maintaining patient safety.... Medications were ordered based on my needs. However, labwork is always on a "no news is good news" basis. Leaving room for error.... I had a cancelled FET. Dr. Shamma increased medications for my next FET.... The nurses and surgical techs are great at Bloomfield Hills. Tori is AMAZING!!!! The clinic is organized. Planning can be difficult for procedures because scheduling is done the day before.
2014 - 2018
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr. Shamma is amazing at what he does. He takes his job very seriously. He wants his patients to be successful while also maintaining patient safety. However, the cost is a significant concern with continued care with Dr. Shamma.
Be prepared for high cost treatment.
I had a cancelled FET. Dr. Shamma increased medications for my next FET.
Megan and Brittany are amazing.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
The nurses and surgical techs are great at Bloomfield Hills. Tori is AMAZING!!!! The clinic is organized. Planning can be difficult for procedures because scheduling is done the day before. I have nothing more to say about the clinic.
Treatment at IVF Michigan is VERY expensive! Discounts are given to certain people throughout treatment. Not sure how those are always given. FET is over $6000 with nothing included other than the transfer.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
My doctor [Dr. Shamma] understood my fertility issues and explained them to me as simply as possible. Everything was done in a timely manner and everyone was polite. Testing was done very accurately and precisely. I did not leave with any questions and felt like part of the family when I left.... I had ultrasounds performed, blood work done and my partner's semen checked. I did not receive any injections yet, that was my next step but I did not have the funds to start the process.
Native American, Other
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
My doctor understood my fertility issues and explained them to me as simply as possible. Everything was done in a timely manner and everyone was polite. Testing was done very accurately and precisely. I did not leave with any questions and felt like part of the family when I left.
People took time out of their day to spend with me and made the entire experience very intimate and personable.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
appointPersonable, quick to get an appointment. I did not notice any weaknesses, overall I felt like they answered my questions and were very thorough when helping me and my family. I am very excited to continue on to the next steps of the IVF cycle with this clinic.ment.
$8800: $3000 for injections and $5800 for IVF procedure
Endometriosis, PCOS
He was a very proficient doctor, and I would recommend him to a friend. I am very happy with the result, but as I said I did often feel rushed. He was very clear about treatment and expectations. I wanted to transfer twins and am glad he talked me out of it because I had a difficult pregnancy, due to my size (very petite)... The office visits as well as ultrasound appointments always felt rushed, but when ever I spoke to him about concerns he gave me ample time and appeared to really care.
Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Don't let the brevity of appointment with the doctor discourage you
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
They whole nursing staff was amazing, but the boss nurse Cathy was really uniquely great.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
This clinic was good. They did a great job at communication and most of the people I worked with really seemed sensitive and caring, which is important because IVF is so stressful and tiring, and expensive
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr Shamma was kind and extremely well-versed in the field. With a diagnosis of unexplained pregnancy loss he did seem quick to conclude that i would be unable to carry my own pregnancy without further tests and trials. Once i miscarried there was no follow up from Dr Shamma or his staff, which was disappointing.... MTHFR treatment Folic Acid Factor 8 treatment Lovenex
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
He is known to be one of the best, he and is staff are great but if your case is not clear cut it wouldn’t be my top recommendation.
Dr Shamma and his staff were very personable, kind and helpful.
MTHFR treatment Folic Acid Factor 8 treatment Lovenex
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Michigan. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
The entire nurse staff was outstanding!
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Overall a very good clinic, great staff, very helpful and knowledgeable. There are many options for fertility meds, be sure to do your research on meds as well as financial assistance available for fertility programs.
About $30,000
Dr Shamma did recommend a single transfer however as newlyweds & hoping to be first time parents in our mid to late 30s we were eager and opted for 2 embryos. We lost 1 at 9weeks and the other at 10.5weeks.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Shamma was great and compassionate. He was gentle and easy to talk to. He made me feel at ease about what was happening. He gave me an amazing opportunity. The care he gave was exceptional. Dr. Shamma wants the best for you and your dreams.... Dr. Shamma was great, but his staff kept me in the dark about my treatments and all the details of what was really happening.... Instead of the staff calling you on updates, you had to call them constantly.
East Asian, South Asian
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Ask stupid questions.
Describe your experience with IVF Michigan.
Not for your average joe. The clinic is tailored towards individuals with a lot of money. They don't want you using your neighborhood pharmacy but rather the extremely expensive pharmacy. Instead of the staff calling you on updates, you had to call them constantly.
2 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
Dr Shamma is extremely knowledgeable and forth coming. He knows what is best for his patients and does his best to accommodate. The only negative is that he is only in the office [IVF Michigan] 1 day a week so your schedule is dependent on him...He aware that the schedule will not go as planned...They took on too many patients. Everyone was very friendly but always felt rushed!...[Nursing staff] Very friendly but sometimes wasn't the best source of knowledge...
2 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
How was your experience with Nicholas Shamma at IVF Michigan?
Dr Shamma is extremely knowledgeable and forth coming. He knows what is best for his patients and does his best to accommodate. The only negative is that he is only in the office 1 day a week so your schedule is dependent on him.
He aware that the schedule will not go as planned
Very friendly but sometimes wasn't the best source of knowledge
60k