4.2

Nichole Barker works at

3209 S 23rd St.
Tacoma, WA 98405
206-301-5000

She [Dr. Nichole Barker] was compassionate and listened to me but was overly confident in the success of the treatment and gave me false hope. She did not test me for anything prior to treatment and I later found out my thyroid was low, but when asked about it she advised me to see another doctor about it. Not whole person care.... Once your protocol is determined you will not be able to speak to her or change it for 3 cycles. The initial visit is very brief so have your questions written down and take notes.
Their [SRM- Tacoma] hours are very limited, close at 4pm M-F and closed on weekends. Slow to respond via phone or email. If your IUI lands on the weekend you have to go to the Seattle clinic and all IUI's are scheduled in early morning with no regard to your cycle (because "they want to enjoy the weekend too")... Everyone referred to my care coordinator as a nurse but she is not. She was very disorganized, lacked compassion and understanding, and at times was rude. I saw a different nurse each time and they were fine, just straight to the point and quick.
How was your experience with Nichole Barker at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
She was compassionate and listened to me but was overly confident in the success of the treatment and gave me false hope. She did not test me for anything prior to treatment and I later found out my thyroid was low, but when asked about it she advised me to see another doctor about it. Not whole person care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nichole Barker at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nichole Barker at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Barker was really kind and to the point but her staff were not as friendly and at times were difficult to work with. They acted as gatekeepers and I was not given an opportunity to talk to Dr. Barker once treatment started, even to adjust my protocol.
Describe the protocols Nichole Barker used in your cycles at Seattle Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Letrozole 5mg CD3-7, Ovidrel approximately 24 hours prior to IUI, give or take some (ranged 21-30 hours). Unexplained infertility, no reason given for this protocol. Resulted in 1-4 follicles each cycle and no pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Seattle Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: LaTanya)
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
Their hours are very limited, close at 4pm M-F and closed on weekends. Slow to respond via phone or email. If your IUI lands on the weekend you have to go to the Seattle clinic and all IUI's are scheduled in early morning with no regard to your cycle (because "they want to enjoy the weekend too")
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nichole Barker at Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
$750 for each IUI with sperm wash. $300 for 30-minute consultation with Dr. Barker. Drugs through 3rd party pharmacy.
What specific things went wrong at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
My care coordinator told me i needed to sign online consent forms and watch required videos but didn't send me the link or password until halfway through my second cycle and kept blaming me for it. She acted like they wouldn't do my IUI because I was noncompliant and I finally got the link after complaining. I had to push to get prescriptions filled. They sent me lab results with no reference ranges and said it was a user error, said she would send me a PDF with ranges and it took several days and multiple emails back and forth because she forgot and then kept sending me emails with nothing attached. Very computer illiterate.
Tacoma

While Dr. Barker met with us upon our intial meeting, I never saw her after that. And while did respond to one of my emails that I sent to my nurse, she never individualized my treatment, like I requested. She also never explained to me how my immune issues might effect my fertility.... I have autoimmune diseases and a complicated history of Lyme's disease. My doctor was given an extensive and comprehensive medical history. I asked multiple times to take these things into consideration and to give me personalized treatment based on this information. This was never done.
My nurse [at Seattle Reproductive Medicine] was responsive to my phone calls and emails in a prompt manner. However, many of the questions I asked, she did not have an answer. She would consult with the doctor for an answer, but usually the answer from the doctor was to continue standard protocol that is used on all patients. Nothing was individualized.
How was your experience with Nichole Barker at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Both my partner and myself felt like cattle, being run through the clinic with no individualized attention and part of a cog in a wheel for the clinic to make money. While Dr. Barker met with us upon our intial meeting, I never saw her after that. And while did respond to one of my emails that I sent to my nurse, she never individualized my treatment, like I requested. She also never explained to me how my immune issues might effect my fertility. I researched this on my own and since have gotten a second option from a doctor who has explained this to me and is in the process of putting me on a treatment program that is specific to my medical issues.
Advocate for yourself. Do your own research and insist on individual treatment protocol.
I did 3 rounds of IUI with Dr. Barker. The first round was using letrozole with Ovidreal injection. The next two times, using estrogen injections, Ovidreal trigger injection with 200 mg of progesterone vaginally daily.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Seattle Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Blackorby)
My nurse was responsive to my phone calls and emails in a prompt manner. However, many of the questions I asked, she did not have an answer. She would consult with the doctor for an answer, but usually the answer from the doctor was to continue standard protocol that is used on all patients. Nothing was individualized.
Describe your experience with Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic needs flexible hours to accommodate those clients that work.
In total, our out of pocket costs were approx $2,500
Describe Nichole Barker's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
None
What specific things went wrong at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic did not run some tests, such as progesterone and estrogen, when I first began treatment, so we had no baseline for comparison.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I was never able to call and speak to her [Dr. Barker]. I could not even call and talk directly to a nurse. Despite the medications causing severe side effects I was told to "push through". After only 2 IUIs I was told I should consider IVF...She was very brief - in and out. When I raised concerns she continued to tell me I needed to follow the standard protocol for pcos. The care was not individualized. Her bedside manner is, however, pretty good.
Generally they [nurses at Seattle Reproductive Medicine] were easy to work with, but their system is really frustrating. My "assigned" nurse changed every month or so...I had no issues with the reception staff or operations. The reception staff is friendly and efficient. The office was clean and is run efficiently. The wait room was comfortable. The location was easy to access and conveniently located.
How was your experience with Nichole Barker at Seattle Reproductive Medicine?
Don't cave to pressure. Advocate for yourself.
I was never able to call and speak to her. I could not even call and talk directly to a nurse. Despite the medications causing severe side effects I was told to "push through". After only 2 IUIs I was told I should consider IVF.
Several timed intercourse cycles, then IUI, then IVF (which we did not pursue).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Seattle Reproductive Medicine.
Generally they were easy to work with, but their system is really frustrating. My "assigned" nurse changed every month or so.
Seattle