Nurse available by email
Not available by direct line
Medical SchoolAnkara U.
ResidencyS. Ill Med / of OK
FellowshipU. of Texas Southwestern
1801 Inwood Road
Dallas, TX 75390
214-645-3858
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Orhan Bukulmez to a friend?

6.8

6.2

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UT Southwestern to a friend?
He [Dr. Orhan Bukulmez] is extremely knowledgeable and experienced. I trust him with my care. He is very thorough with explanations and answers all questions. I do not feel rushed with him...Lab work, HSG testing, ultrasound I did min stim IVF with ICSI and embryo freeze...Orally I took estrace and clomid. Subcutaneously I took cetrotide, menopur, chorionic gonodotropin Result after 1 cycle: 1 frozen embryo...I felt like a human because when he does your consultation he sits down and talks with you in his office. He is very patient answering questions.
This clinic [UT Southwestern] is great. Clean, organized, runs well with doctors, nurses, lab and office staff. It is in a major hospital system which I like because all of your care is interconnected. It’s located in a busy area of Dallas so traffic can be bad at times...Nursing staff is great. Quick to respond to mychart messages. Friendly and informative...Monitoring is between the hours of 7:30-10 am. They would give you a specific time to come to avoid long wait times but as long as you’re in this time frame you can have your testing done. I never had to wait more than 10 minutes to be called back.
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
He is extremely knowledgeable and experienced. I trust him with my care. He is very thorough with explanations and answers all questions. I do not feel rushed with him. My husband struggled a little with his accent.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
Bring something to write things down. It’s a lot of information. Write down any questions you have.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
Describe the protocols Orhan Bukulmez used in your cycles at UT Southwestern and their degree of success.
Lab work, HSG testing, ultrasound I did min stim IVF with ICSI and embryo freeze Orally I took estrace and clomid. Subcutaneously I took cetrotide, menopur, chorionic gonodotropin Result after 1 cycle: 1 frozen embryo
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
This clinic is great. Clean, organized, runs well with doctors, nurses, lab and office staff. It is in a major hospital system which I like because all of your care is interconnected. It’s located in a busy area of Dallas so traffic can be bad at times.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at UT Southwestern.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern.
Cycle management, physician consult, psychological consultation Sonograms and cycle monitoring lab tests Oocyte retrieval including anesthesia In-vitro fertilization, ICSI, extended culture and embryo freeze $3800 Medications at outside pharmacy ~$1000
Describe Orhan Bukulmez's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UT Southwestern.

17 IVF, 17 Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
He [Dr. Bukulmez] very knowledgeable and does not use generic protocols for everyone. He takes a lot of blood work and tells you what to do the day before. If you are cycling with him you must be open to appointments everyday because he gives you a calendar but does not follow it. So be aware that changes are dependent on your sonogram and blood work from the day before.... I did mini ivf with him. Once you are ready to start. You do baseline to make sure you are surpressed, after that you take clomid for about 4-5 days with cetrotide.
The turn over with nurses [UT Southwestern] really hinder my cycles. But they are getting better. Now the biggest change is that the financial coordinator is gone. This will also hurt them as a clinic. Utsw does not work with you on cost. They gave us a set cost and will now force us to talk to someone outside the fertility clinic and there’s no sense of compassion in that area now.... 4000 per mini cycle- 12k for traditional but prices change yearly. It has gone up every year. I guess since they are more busy they charging more.
17 IVF, 17 Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
He very knowledgeable and does not use generic protocols for everyone. He takes a lot of blood work and tells you what to do the day before. If you are cycling with him you must be open to appointments everyday because he gives you a calendar but does not follow it. So be aware that changes are dependent on your sonogram and blood work from the day before.
He speaks with accent and many people say he hard to understand but I understand him. He doesn’t have other programs like egg donation. He limited to what utsw allows him to do.
He took time to explain and very knowledgeable but his appointment are short notice it’s hard to work and cycle because you could have appointments with him daily for a week or two
I did mini ivf with him. Once you are ready to start. You do baseline to make sure you are surpressed, after that you take clomid for about 4-5 days with cetrotide. Then you have mix of menopur and clomid until follicles are ready for retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UT Southwestern. (Assigned nurse: Kalie)
The nurses are slow to respond. I understand they wait for dr to review and let them know what to do but they could at least acknowledge that they got your email.
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
The turn over with nurses really hinder my cycles. But they are getting better. Now the biggest change is that the financial coordinator is gone. This will also hurt them as a clinic. Utsw does not work with you on cost. They gave us a set cost and will now force us to talk to someone outside the fertility clinic and there’s no sense of compassion in that area now.
He always suggested single embryos transfers
What specific things went wrong at UT Southwestern?
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern.

I chose Dr Bukulmez given that each patient receives personalized care and protocols. Bukulmez is extremely giving of his time during my consultations... He does communicate at a very high, medical level.... My only complaint is I would have liked to get more detailed updates during my IVF cycle to more fully understand what was going on. He is very responsive to the portal messaging via his nursing staff
This is an academic institution [UT Southwestern] so there is significant turnover of the nursing staff...They are usually extremely quick to respond to portal messages... Strengths-individualized care... Weaknesses-nurse turnover, not as much hand holding like you would get at a private practice... Things to know- reproductive endocrinology fellows perform the tracking ultrasounds, not Bukulmez.
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
Bukulmez is the chairman of the department and one of my main reasons for seeing him was that he is at the forefront of the field, individualizes his protocols, and takes the toughest cases. He does communicate at a very high, medical level. I am a physician so I liked that, but it could possibly be challenging for people not in the medical field or going through this for the first time. My only complaint is I would have liked to get more detailed updates during my IVF cycle to more fully understand what was going on. He is very responsive to the portal messaging via his nursing staff
I chose Dr Bukulmez given that each patient receives personalized care and protocols. Bukulmez is extremely giving of his time during my consultations, much more so than the 2nd opinion I received prior to pursuing IVF from an outside physician
Estrace priming followed me Antagonist protocol with follistim, menopur, cetrotide. His goal is quality over quantity and we were shooting for 8-14 quality eggs
This is an academic institution so there is significant turnover of the nursing staff or the nurses are float nurses and not permanent. Bukulmez was very open that this was the case. I believe all the nurses now are permanent. They are usually extremely quick to respond to portal messages. I did have to advocate for myself sometimes so that I could speak to a fellow when it was a question above the nurses head.
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
Strengths-individualized care, quick response to portal questions Weaknesses-nurse turnover, not as much hand holding like you would get at a private practice(but that was largely ok with me), they don’t do a high number of cases Things to know- reproductive endocrinology fellows perform the tracking ultrasounds, not Bukulmez. That was fine by me since most other places they are done by ultrasound techs. The fellows are board certified obgyns already so this was a bonus. Bukulmez does the transfers and retrievals and the early work up procedures
$10k not including meds
He usually only recommends single embryo transfers in my experience. We only transferred >1 bc they were concerned we wouldn’t make it to blastocyst stage

4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We never tried a regular IVF cycle, as my doctor [Dr. Orhan Bukulmez] thought mini-IVF would be the better route. But that resulted in only 4 eggs total over 4 rounds of treatment. I don't feel like I got a fair chance to try and conceive. Because it was mini-IVF and required less drugs than a regular IVF cycle it cost me about $25k for 4 tries, instead of $20-$25k for one try of regular IVF...wasn't a bad doctor, he just didn't have that "never give up" attitude.
Mini-IVF was recommended [at UT Southwestern] because I was over 40. It did result in fewer eggs but I don't believe it improved the quality. Over 4 rounds I had 4 eggs retrieved and none made it to blastocyst stage or were ever frozen, so I never made it to a transfer...They [nurses] were great at answering questions, calling in RX's, and just overall helpful...Mini IVF round would have run about $7,000 to completion including the transfer. I never got that far. So I paid about $4,000. Each cycle was billed as a lump sum fee that included all visits, ultrasounds and retrieval.
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
Dr. Bukulmez seemed to be a good doctor. Never rude or mean. But he told me up front that I had only a 17% chance of having a baby with my own eggs. He recommended mini-IVF to focus on quality of eggs and not quantity. We went 4 rounds of mini-IVF. 1st round - 2 eggs retrieved, both fertilized, neither made it to blastocyst. 2nd round - 1 egg retrieved, 1 fertilized, made it to Day 3 only. 3rd round - 0 eggs retrieved. (I was given a $1,000 credit towards my next IVF because none of the sacs contained eggs.) 4th round - 1 egg retrieved, 1 egg fertilized, made it to Day 3. I think the one thing I wish would have happened was more trying different options. I felt like we were repeating the same protocol each time and hoping to get a different result. I could have pursued it further but after 4 rounds I was out more than $25,000 and I just couldn't afford to continue. Each round was looking less and less promising. Had it been the other way around and I felt like we were making progress I may have continued with Dr. Bukulmez but that wasn't the case. Not a bad doctor, I just didn't feel like his recommendations were very specialized based on my tests or outcomes. We tried one option and that was it. I probably should have pushed more, but I didn't see him often. Usually working with assistants or nurses.
Be pushier. Ask more questions. Insist on more options.
Doctor was nice. Never treated like a number. He does have a very strong accent though so you really have to pay attention. Goes through the information quickly. He always seemed rushed as a I assume there were lots of patients, but I didn't feel like a number. Not rude, just hurried.
Mini-IVF was recommended because I was over 40. It did result in fewer eggs but I don't believe it improved the quality. Over 4 rounds I had 4 eggs retrieved and none made it to blastocyst stage or were ever frozen, so I never made it to a transfer.
They were great at answering questions, calling in RX's, and just overall helpful.
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
No issues. Billing was fine. Front desk was polite. Labs were done in the office and the girls there were very patient even though it often took several stabs to draw my blood. I originally chose UT Southwestern because I thought they were on the cutting edge and might have new options for my "lost cause" case. I didn't really get that feeling though. We never tried a regular IVF cycle, as my doctor thought mini-IVF would be the better route. But that resulted in only 4 eggs total over 4 rounds of treatment. I don't feel like I got a fair chance to try and conceive. Because it was mini-IVF and required less drugs than a regular IVF cycle it cost me about $25k for 4 tries, instead of $20-$25k for one try of regular IVF. But the end result is the same. I never got to attempt a transfer because none of my eggs were viable, resulting in zero pregnancies. Had I had the money to continue I think I would have looked for a different doctor with new and different ideas. Dr. Bukulmez wasn't a bad doctor, he just didn't have that "never give up" attitude. I felt like I was climbing an uphill battle the whole way and didn't feel like he had much hope for my situation. I want a doctor who is my cheerleader and wants to make my dream come true. This just wasn't that place.

4 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
He's [Dr. Orhan Bukulmez] very thorough in explaining the process of mini IVF's, benefits and goals. He shows compassion and specialized care/approach for each patient. Even though UTSW is a teaching hospital, nice to know he does all surgeries and transfers...He wanted to do mini IVF retrievals in order to get fewer but better quality eggs. He explained that every cycle is different with some months being better than others. Results have been positive so far with 4 frozen embryos.
They're [nurses at UT Southwestern] organized, timely for appt, compassionate. Weaknesses-since dr is monitoring closely medications are adjusted daily. I ran out of Menpour first round of mini IVF due to no communication and planning on their end...Emails thru my chart has been effective with getting questions answered...He [Dr. Bukulmez] wanted to do mini IVF retrievals in order to get fewer but better quality eggs. He explained that every cycle is different with some months being better than others. Results have been positive so far with 4 frozen embryos.
4 IUI, 4 IVF, 4 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
He's very thorough in explaining the process of mini IVF's, benefits and goals. He shows compassion and specialized care/approach for each patient. Even though UTSW is a teaching hospital, nice to know he does all surgeries and transfers.
Be sure to clear your schedule and be flexible from days 5-14 of your cycle for doctors appointments.
More specialized care, plus more monitoring and appts than previous dr.
They're organized, timely for appt, compassionate. Weaknesses-since dr is monitoring closely medications are adjusted daily. I ran out of Menpour first round of mini IVF due to no communication and planning on their end.
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
Advice would be to plan ahead on having extra medicine when doing an IVF, better to have extra. Don't schedule travel during a cycle and keep schedule open/flexible if possible. Emails thru my chart has been effective with getting questions answered
My insurance, BCBS of IL has been good, with all benefits met so no major charges yet in 2017
I'm not to the transfer part yet, although we have discussed implanting 2 embryos

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
When we first met Dr. B[ukulmez], one of the things he said about infertility being like other diseases and why people should look at it that way made a difference to me - showing how he looks at and approaches our situation. He is open about our chances but maintains a sense of hope that he can get us pregnant. Sometimes it’s difficult to understand him but overall we had minimal issues.
The finance department [at UT Southwestern] does the minimal - it seems like they are best at taking payments. If you have insurance, they do little to assess your benefits or coordinate any required pre approvals without a lot of effort on my part to ensure all the paperwork is provided and timely...None of the same nurses are at the clinic compared to the day we started. This makes it difficult to rate because they have varied - some better than others.
East Asian, South Asian
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Orhan Bukulmez at UT Southwestern?
When we first met Dr. B, one of the things he said about infertility being like other diseases and why people should look at it that way made a difference to me - showing how he looks at and approaches our situation. He is open about our chances but maintains a sense of hope that he can get us pregnant. Sometimes it’s difficult to understand him but overall we had minimal issues.
Ask questions - he is always open to our questions which is important
He spoke to us with empathy and respective to our specific situation.
Describe your experience with UT Southwestern.
The finance department does the minimal - it seems like they are best at taking payments. If you have insurance, they do little to assess your benefits or coordinate any required pre approvals without a lot of effort on my part to ensure all the paperwork is provided and timely.
Single transfer recommended due to my unicornate uterus
What specific things went wrong at UT Southwestern?