Medical SchoolAnkaran, Turkey
ResidencyYale/NYU
FellowshipU of Texas
39141 Civic Center Driv
Fremont, CA 94538
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Orkun Tan to a friend?

6.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente NorCal to a friend?
Dr. Tan has good bedside manner. He is the only doctor that does IVF cycles at this clinic so he is very busy.... I had a good experience with Dr. Tan. He performed my most recent IUI. I only had 1 follicle so I knew the chances were slim, but he still made me feel good about it. We discussed my potential IVF protocol as well. He also did my saline ultrasound and my mock transfer which all went well.... In 2015 when I was receiving treatment I saw Dr. Tan on my follow up ultrasound after 5 days
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I would advise them that the only way you'll see him is if you're doing IVF or potentially doing IVF, as he pretty much only does IVF cycles. I would suggest they go in armed with questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Tan has good bedside manner. He is the only doctor that does IVF cycles at this clinic so he is very busy. He still knew my daughter's name and some of my medical background so that was impressive. He is easy to talk to.
Describe the protocols Orkun Tan used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
In 2015 when I was receiving treatment I saw Dr. Tan on my follow up ultrasound after 5 days of 50 mg clomid. I didn't have any growing follicles so he suggested stair stepping me to 100 mg clomid and when I went back after that I had a ton of follicles. I was pleased he didn't give up and kept my cycle going, because that cycle was successful!
The nursing staff is excellent. They're compassionate and organized. They make the schedule work for you, even if they're busy because they know how important a well timed treatment plan is.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Kaiser - San Ramon is a small office with 3 doctor's and quite a few nurses. They're organized and efficient, which I like. I do think the clinic could use a few more doctor's because I think the doctor's that are there are overworked.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
My infertility coverage is excellent for IUI's. I only pay a $10 deductible for IUI, ultrasound's, hsg, saline ultrasound, etc. and my meds are covered as well. However, if I move onto IVF everything is out of pocket.
Describe Orkun Tan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
He's for eSET. Kaiser does not agree with multiple embryo transfers.
San Ramon

Dr. Tan took time to explain things, was always very friendly and on an occasion he thought I may nervous he called me at home after normal work hours to check on me and help explain things in more details. Although he was seeing lots of other patients for IVF I always felt like he cared about me and knew my case...He really took time to ensure I was ok, and explained everything wonderfully. He was very personable and although he gave lots of details about success rates or lack thereof, he did it in a very professional and sensitive manner and no in a doom and gloom way. Great bedside manner...
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Although there was a little language barrier at times, it was very minimal and only really happened when I asked really random questions about certain fad diets/workouts. He was a great Dr. and I was sad when I left his care to move to my regular OB. He really took time to ensure I was ok, and explained everything wonderfully. He was very personable and although he gave lots of details about success rates or lack thereof, he did it in a very professional and sensitive manner and no in a doom and gloom way. Great bedside manner.
If you have a question ask him, he is more than willing to answer it.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It was great that ever appointment I saw Dr Tan. All the nurses are very friendly and nice and truly seem to understand how difficult infertility can be.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Everyone was scheduled at a certain time so it could be a long wait, but they were really quick and we got to meet with the actual Dr for each appointment so I did not mind. Plus you could check in and then do your bloodwork while you waited.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr Tan takes time to cover everything with both myself and my husband. It’s more difficult for my husband to really understand what we are facing as he does not have the medical background that I do ... Dr Tan is kind and considerate without being soft. He manages to be direct, giving you the facts, without being cold. He is gentle but firm and always takes time to make sure we are comfortable with where we are in our protocols and exams.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Ask questions! Don’t be shy or nervous. If you have a question or don’t fully understand what is being said or is happening, he wants you to be honest and open.
Starting protocol was a round of clomid w/IUI. Second round was Menopur and IUI. He has always told us that with our diagnosis and our ages, IVF was our best shot at conceiving.
Quick and efficient but with good bedside manner
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The staff is warm and friendly, though a bit reserved. Doctor Tan is kind and thorough. I would like to have more time to process and develop questions before the end of our appointments, but we can always email him.
Ultrasound $175 Saline sonogram $250 Insemination $495 Pregnancy labs $175 Clomid $7 Menopur $100/per inj Trigger shot $100 Laparoscopy $ 2500
San Ramon

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.

1 IUI, IVF
Dr. Tan knows his stuff about ivf and treatment. He was supportive to our wants and needs and did as we asked. As I said before he was difficult to get an appointment with since he is the main dr. He was our main dr. But we really did it see him often. Expect for our first consult and final consult regarding ivf ... He spoke will and seemed to know my case didn’t see him often because he’s the main ivf dr for kaiser in our area
1 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Don’t expect to see him regularly. You’ll be pushed around to other dr.
Our plan was clomid and regular intercourse, then we tried clomid and iui. I got pregnant but it was ectopic. Spent three horrible months waiting to find out if I was miscarrying. Had an emergency tube removal then a couple months later started treatment again with menopour 3 vials four 7 days, then hcg trigger and iui. We did this treatment 5 or 6 times. No luck.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Nurses were helpful in the process but weren’t personal.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
You are treated as a number not as a person. Appointments are not flexible and rarely convenient for patients. After going to the clinic for three years some of the staff still didn’t recognize me. They put you on a schedule that fits them instead of working with you.
Cost we’re 50% covered by insurance
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Fremont

Dr. Tan spent a lot of time with me and my husband, going over a lot of information and answering all of our questions. He was very caring and sympathetic towards our situation....Dr. Tan was an excellent communicator, extremely thorough, and passionate about his work. He always took the time to answer our questions. We never felt rushed at every appointment....Because of diminished ovarian reserve, we were prescribed Fallustum and Menopur.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Tan was an excellent communicator, extremely thorough, and passionate about his work. He always took the time to answer our questions. We never felt rushed at every appointment. He was honest and objective, but also compassionate.
Ask as many questions as you need to.
We always felt cared for and our emails/phone calls were always returned with a detailed reply.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This clinic provides many appointment options and conducts everything in a timely manner. They treated us with respect and care. They also respected our confidentiality while also being caring and supportive. The first come, first serve option for morning appointments was really nice because I would get there early and be seen by the doctor faster.
It was very expensive.