6.4

U of Texas

Orkun Tan works at

39141 Civic Center Driv
Fremont, CA 94538

Dr. Tan has great communication skills. We never felt in the dark about all of the required steps in the process. We felt heard and he empathized with us every step of the way even though we had 2 unsuccessful transfer attempts. He helped me feel that there was hope. ... He also took into account our own research so that we felt we were doing everything within our powers to get pregnant.
Strengths [of Kaiser Permanente] Great empathic doctors that took time to explain and answer questions thoroughly Very clear instructions Always felt safe and cared for during the procedures Weaknesses A lot of different people on staff, communication between staff could be better so that the nurses aren't saying different things to me.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
There are a lot of doctors through Kaiser Reproductive Centers. It's important to make sure you feel comfortable with your doctor completely and thoroughly on this IVF journey. Dr. Tan was this doctor for us and we are lucky to have him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Tan really empathized with our struggle. He made sure to explain everything thoroughly and we never felt rushed or forced into doing anything we were not comfortable with. He also took into account our own research so that we felt we were doing everything within our powers to get pregnant.
Describe the protocols Orkun Tan used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente NorCal and their degree of success.
First egg retrieval: 75IU Follistim AM 150mg IU Menopur PM 250mcg Ganirelix Second Egg Retreival 2.9mg Omnitrope 150IU Follistim AM 150mg IU Menopur PM 250mcg Ganirelix 3rd Egg Retreival 2.9mg Omnitrope 75IU Follistim AM 150mg IU Menopur PM 250mcg Ganirelix
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
We worked with half a dozen nurses and all were wonderful, compassionate, and caring. There were two in particular however that couldn't empathize well and seemed to only be following the directions of the doctors. If we didn't get lab works or pap smears on their timeline, they'd show a bit of passive aggressiveness. I tried not to take it personally because I knew it was from a place of pressure and wanting to get their jobs done and maybe even being afraid that the doctors would come down on them for not getting their job done properly. When this would happen and a nurse would be upset, I'd simply get in touch with Dr. Tan, and he always figured out a solution without making me feel bad or guilty.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Overall, it's a great clinic and I'd highly recommend anyone to come. Their strengths outweigh their weaknesses and the weaknesses never affected the overall care. Strengths Great empathic doctors that took time to explain and answer questions thoroughly Very clear instructions Always felt safe and cared for during the procedures Weaknesses A lot of different people on staff, communication between staff could be better so that the nurses aren't saying different things to me.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It felt like a well oiled machine where even though we only saw Dr. Tan for five minutes, it never felt rushed. He answered all our questions and made us feel heard.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Our medical insurance paid for a lot of it. I think it ended up being about $15-20K out of pocket after 3 rounds
Describe Orkun Tan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I understood the rationale for a single embryo transfer in that it would be safer for me and the baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
There was once occurrence where I was erroneously scheduled for an ultrasound, and a couple times where the nurses were taking their frustrations out on us due to pressure.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Tan has good bedside manner. He is the only doctor that does IVF cycles at this clinic so he is very busy.... I had a good experience with Dr. Tan. He performed my most recent IUI. I only had 1 follicle so I knew the chances were slim, but he still made me feel good about it. We discussed my potential IVF protocol as well. He also did my saline ultrasound and my mock transfer which all went well.... In 2015 when I was receiving treatment I saw Dr. Tan on my follow up ultrasound after 5 days
Kaiser - San Ramon is a small office with 3 doctor's and quite a few nurses. They're organized and efficient, which I like. I do think the clinic could use a few more doctor's because I think the doctor's that are there are overworked....The nursing staff is excellent. They're compassionate and organized. They make the schedule work for you, even if they're busy because they know how important a well timed treatment plan is.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
I would advise them that the only way you'll see him is if you're doing IVF or potentially doing IVF, as he pretty much only does IVF cycles. I would suggest they go in armed with questions.
Dr. Tan has good bedside manner. He is the only doctor that does IVF cycles at this clinic so he is very busy. He still knew my daughter's name and some of my medical background so that was impressive. He is easy to talk to.
In 2015 when I was receiving treatment I saw Dr. Tan on my follow up ultrasound after 5 days of 50 mg clomid. I didn't have any growing follicles so he suggested stair stepping me to 100 mg clomid and when I went back after that I had a ton of follicles. I was pleased he didn't give up and kept my cycle going, because that cycle was successful!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
My infertility coverage is excellent for IUI's. I only pay a $10 deductible for IUI, ultrasound's, hsg, saline ultrasound, etc. and my meds are covered as well. However, if I move onto IVF everything is out of pocket.
He's for eSET. Kaiser does not agree with multiple embryo transfers.
San Ramon
Dr. Tan took time to explain things, was always very friendly and on an occasion he thought I may nervous he called me at home after normal work hours to check on me and help explain things in more details. Although he was seeing lots of other patients for IVF I always felt like he cared about me and knew my case...He really took time to ensure I was ok, and explained everything wonderfully. He was very personable and although he gave lots of details about success rates or lack thereof, he did it in a very professional and sensitive manner and no in a doom and gloom way. Great bedside manner...
All the nurses [at Kaiser - Fremont] are very friendly and nice and truly seem to understand how difficult infertility can be.Everyone was scheduled at a certain time so it could be a long wait, but they were really quick and we got to meet with the actual Dr for each appointment so I did not mind. Plus you could check in and then do your bloodwork while you waited...
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Although there was a little language barrier at times, it was very minimal and only really happened when I asked really random questions about certain fad diets/workouts. He was a great Dr. and I was sad when I left his care to move to my regular OB. He really took time to ensure I was ok, and explained everything wonderfully. He was very personable and although he gave lots of details about success rates or lack thereof, he did it in a very professional and sensitive manner and no in a doom and gloom way. Great bedside manner.
If you have a question ask him, he is more than willing to answer it.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
It was great that ever appointment I saw Dr Tan. All the nurses are very friendly and nice and truly seem to understand how difficult infertility can be.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
I was mainly seen at the San Ramon Satellite office and that office was great, no complaints at all. Had to go to the Fremont Office for weekend appointment and for the IVF retrieval and transfer and the staff there was not as personable as the San Ramon office.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Tan knows his stuff about ivf and treatment. He was supportive to our wants and needs and did as we asked. As I said before he was difficult to get an appointment with since he is the main dr. He was our main dr. But we really did it see him often. Expect for our first consult and final consult regarding ivf ... He spoke will and seemed to know my case didn’t see him often because he’s the main ivf dr for kaiser in our area
They [Kaiser Permanente] did not let me know about possible issues with my tubes until after we had done numerous cycles and spent months trying. ... You are treated as a number not as a person. Appointments are not flexible and rarely convenient for patients. After going to the clinic for three years some of the staff still didn’t recognize me. They put you on a schedule that fits them instead of working with you.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Don’t expect to see him regularly. You’ll be pushed around to other dr.
Our plan was clomid and regular intercourse, then we tried clomid and iui. I got pregnant but it was ectopic. Spent three horrible months waiting to find out if I was miscarrying. Had an emergency tube removal then a couple months later started treatment again with menopour 3 vials four 7 days, then hcg trigger and iui. We did this treatment 5 or 6 times. No luck.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente NorCal. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Nurses were helpful in the process but weren’t personal.
Cost we’re 50% covered by insurance
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
They did not let me know about possible issues with my tubes until after we had done numerous cycles and spent months trying. That was the last straw. They also forgot to order blood test and sometime failed To explain prescriptions.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Tan was very upfront about the chances of our IUI procedures working and thoroughly explained why he suggested the different treatment options for my particular medical history and budget.When we decided to discuss IVF I appreciated that his recommendations were ethically based and focused on having one healthy child...I began using 100mg Clomid for our first cycle of IUI and after meager results we stepped it up to 150mg.
The wait to get into the Kaiser fertility clinic is long and it's important to advocate for yourself about beginning testing in order to book a consultation. Once I was accepted to the clinic it was fairly easy to book appointments and speak with nurses when I called...Our insurance did not cover any part of our treatment and per IUI cycle I believe we spent about $1000-$1200 depending on how many ultrasounds I had.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Tan was very upfront about the chances of our IUI procedures working and thoroughly explained why he suggested the different treatment options for my particular medical history and budget. When we decided to discuss IVF I appreciated that his recommendations were ethically based and focused on having one healthy child.
Come to visits prepared with questions and don't be afraid to speak up. Also, ask in your initial visit about any supplements that he may recommend for you.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Very friendly and welcoming. They definitely put me at ease.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Dr. Tan recommends eSET for the health of the mother and child.
San Ramon

Dr Tan takes time to cover everything with both myself and my husband. It’s more difficult for my husband to really understand what we are facing as he does not have the medical background that I do ... Dr Tan is kind and considerate without being soft. He manages to be direct, giving you the facts, without being cold. He is gentle but firm and always takes time to make sure we are comfortable with where we are in our protocols and exams.
The staff [Kaiser Permanente San Ramon] is warm and friendly, though a bit reserved. ... [Nursing staff is] Quick and efficient but with good bedside manner ... Starting protocol was a round of clomid w/IUI. Second round was Menopur and IUI. He [Dr. Tan] has always told us that with our diagnosis and our ages, IVF was our best shot at conceiving.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Ask questions! Don’t be shy or nervous. If you have a question or don’t fully understand what is being said or is happening, he wants you to be honest and open.
Starting protocol was a round of clomid w/IUI. Second round was Menopur and IUI. He has always told us that with our diagnosis and our ages, IVF was our best shot at conceiving.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
Quick and efficient but with good bedside manner
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
The staff is warm and friendly, though a bit reserved. Doctor Tan is kind and thorough. I would like to have more time to process and develop questions before the end of our appointments, but we can always email him.
Ultrasound $175 Saline sonogram $250 Insemination $495 Pregnancy labs $175 Clomid $7 Menopur $100/per inj Trigger shot $100 Laparoscopy $ 2500
San Ramon

Dr. Tan spent a lot of time with me and my husband, going over a lot of information and answering all of our questions. He was very caring and sympathetic towards our situation....Dr. Tan was an excellent communicator, extremely thorough, and passionate about his work. He always took the time to answer our questions. We never felt rushed at every appointment....Because of diminished ovarian reserve, we were prescribed Fallustum and Menopur.
This clinic [Kaiser Permanente] provides many appointment options and conducts everything in a timely manner. They treated us with respect and care. They also respected our confidentiality while also being caring and supportive. The first come, first serve option for morning appointments was really nice because I would get there early and be seen by the doctor faster.... We always felt cared for and our emails/phone calls were always returned with a detailed reply.
How was your experience with Orkun Tan at Kaiser Permanente NorCal?
Dr. Tan was an excellent communicator, extremely thorough, and passionate about his work. He always took the time to answer our questions. We never felt rushed at every appointment. He was honest and objective, but also compassionate.
Ask as many questions as you need to.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente NorCal.
This clinic provides many appointment options and conducts everything in a timely manner. They treated us with respect and care. They also respected our confidentiality while also being caring and supportive. The first come, first serve option for morning appointments was really nice because I would get there early and be seen by the doctor faster.
It was very expensive.