Medical SchoolWake Forest
ResidencyCornell
FellowshipHarvard
1305 York Avenue
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Owen Davis to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 16Neutral: 29.6
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Weill Cornell Medical College to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 83Neutral: 25Don't recommend: 188.5
8 IVF, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr Owen Davis was very personable, listened to my preferences with respect, and was upfront with the statistics of achieving pregnancy at my age. He always called back within 36hrs of leaving a message, sometimes within 2 - 4 hrs...He was upfront and honest about what my chances were of achieving a positive outcome from a biological as well as a financial perspective. He expressed his own preferences for certain protocols and also adjusted to accommodate my preferences readily. He patiently answered all my questions when I didn't understand something clearly...
8 IVF, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
Dr Davis was very knowledgeable. He was upfront and honest about what my chances were of achieving a positive outcome from a biological as well as a financial perspective. He expressed his own preferences for certain protocols and also adjusted to accommodate my preferences readily. He patiently answered all my questions when I didn't understand something clearly.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
He is very informative and can give you lots of statistics off the top of his head. Take notes to create a plan, as well as a back up plan, that you are comfortable with. Be ready to clearly discuss your options and questions before going in thereafter. Dr Davis is a highly ranked fertility doctor, not a therapist (so don't expect lovely dovey emotional support and hand holding). But do expect honesty and results consistent with the expectations he set.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Describe the protocols Owen Davis used in your cycles and their degree of success.
Frozen embryo transfer over fresh - better success rates. PGS testing - Dr Davis was neutral about this. After several unsuccessful cycles, I did not want to lose time in case of a miscarriage. I requested testing eventually and he did not disagree. In retrospect, I would have started with PGS testing right away. After batching 3 retrieval cycles with 54 eggs retrieved, only 2 were genetically normal. Transferred 1 of the 2 and achieved pregnancy. Meds: Follistim, ganirelex, menopur. Medicated embryo transfer cycle: Didn't want to leave anything to chance.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Primary Nurse: had a miscalculation issue regarding cycle days and expected time of embryo transfer. Nurse was not very clear in setting expectations and I had to do a last minute stressful scramble with my work schedule. Spoke to Dr. Davis and requested to have nurse changed. Subsequent nurse was was very clear and concise thereafter. Nursing Staff: high volume clinic, very professional and friendly except for one nurse (eastern block - russian/ukranian?) who was a bit cold and never bothered to have me check my name/birthdate blood tube label like all the other nurses did. Surgical nursing staff for retreivals at NY Presbyterian: phenomenal. Can't say enough good things about them. Super caring and attentive.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Expect high volume and the pros and cons that come with it. Less personal attention but very efficient. The retrieval procedures done through NY Presbyterian were as stress-free as I think they could possibly have been.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
I went out of my way to get there very early in the morning to minimize wait time to 20-3min. Otherwise waits were anywhere from 30min to 2hrs. Going to the satellite clinic in Tribeca was extremely helpful as it was closer to me and less crowded.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
Dr Davis is Out of Network. So I had to pay out of pocket for his visits and procedures e.g. hysterocsopy, pregnancy ultrasound. Initially I paid out of pocket for all procedures, meds and most bloodwork. They have a flat fee per IVF procedure with add'l cost per transfer. Within range of expected costs for IVF comparable to other clinics. My Insurance started covering IVF in 2016 - costs decreased significantly to deductible only.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[Dr. Owen Davis used a protocol of] Co-culture, Estrogen priming & 450 Gonal-f & and 150 menopur to stimulate follicle growth; cetrotide to prevent ovulation; HCG to trigger. I had 1 successful pregnancy from this protocol. Co-culture, 150 Gonal-f & 75 menopur; cetrotide to prevent ovulation; HCG trigger. I had more follicles on this low dose protocol and had a chemical pregnancy.... Dr Davis is extremely knowledgeable and knew my chart and history inside and out before our consults.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
Dr Davis is extremely knowledgeable and knew my chart and history inside and out before our consults. He is willing to try numerous treatment options and does not get discouraged by poor responders. Dr. Davis is extremely busy and prefers phone calls to emails. If you have questions, leave a message with his assistants, and he will call back quickly.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Dr Davis is excellent with dealing with finished ovarian reserve. He is willing to try multiple stimulation options to achieve the best outcome possible. If you need to reach him during a call, call his amazing Assistant, and she will have him call you right back.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Dr. Davis' nursing staff is extremely responsive and caring. There are a high number of patients for daily monitoring; however, most Dr's took the time during ultrasounds to explain the results and answer questions. Patients see whichever Dr is in duty for monitoring, retrievals and transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Dr Davis' primary nurses are amazing. I worked with 1 in 2014 who was fantastic. She left in 2016, and there was a period of time where a nurse was filling in. I experienced communication gaps during this time period. Dr Davis now has a new primary nurse, and she is also excellent.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: very efficient and able to handle high volumes of patients. Flexible monitoring hours. Highly successful results. Weaknesses: some issues with billing/ filing insurance claims/ getting reimbursements. You don't see your primary Dr for most procedures. Retrievals are done at the hospital across the street vs in office, which is an added expense.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
Monitoring appointments are very busy and the waiting room is full most days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
IVF cycle with co-culture: $11,500 ICSI: $2,630 Anesthesia: $800 Hospital admitting fee for retrieval: $1,005.84
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
I had complications along the way, specifically a very dangerous ectopic pregnancy. I could get ahold of Dr. Davis any time I needed to. He responded quickly to all of my inquiries. He set face to face meetings on very short notice when they were warranted. He provided great patient care....Dr. Davis does not accept insurance, so you must pay for all of his services (initial consultation $600?, hysteroscopy $5,000?, hsg ???, confirmation of pregnancy ultrasound $750??) in full before they are rendered.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
Dr. Davis is very knowledgeable and is able to convey all information clearly. He is soft spoken, but confident. He prepared me for each upcoming event so I knew what to expect. He answered any and all questions I had throughout the 14 months I was his patient.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Ask questions so that you understand each procedure
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Cornell is a large center. I feared there could be a chance of feeling like a number. But, I had complications along the way, specifically a very dangerous ectopic pregnancy. I could get ahold of Dr. Davis any time I needed to. He responded quickly to all of my inquiries. He set face to face meetings on very short notice when they were warranted. He provided great patient care.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Elizabeth would call each day during monitoring and provide all pertinent information in a clear and concise way. She was able to answer many questions for me and if she couldn't answer a question she would put me in contact with Dr. Davis immediately.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It is a large clinic. Some days the wait time is long for monitoring, but the earlier you arrive the shorter the wait time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
The monitoring staff works quickly to get you in and out each day. The waiting area is comfortable and spacious enough for everyone to have a seat while waiting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
Dr. Davis does not accept insurance, so you must pay for all of his services (initial consultation $600?, hysteroscopy $5,000?, hsg ???, confirmation of pregnancy ultrasound $750??) in full before they are rendered. Then the billing department is to send you paperwork to submit to insurance for reimbursement. There were times when the billing department did not send the necessary forms, and when contacted acted put out by the request. The clinic as a whole was participating in my insurance, so IVF and monitoring were all paid directly from insurance to the clinic and I did not have to pay out of pocket. I believe IVF with ICSI and cryopreservation of embryos is approximately $16,000 per round plus medications.
Upper East Side
Dr Davis is a wonderful Doctor. I loved the fact that he always had a plan....The only negative aspect of my experience was that I felt he considered me as an easy case since I was young and did not investigate why I was not getting pregnant before starting me on fertility treatment. After 2 failed iui and 2 failed ivf he decided to perform a histeroscopy and found out I had a polyp- after the procedure I did my final ivf and got pregnant. I wish I had done the histeroscopy before starting with treatments
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
Dr Davis is a wonderful Doctor. I loved the fact that he always had a plan. I was devastated after all my failed cycles and he was able to give me confidence that he knew what he was doing and that it would work out well. I would definitely recommend him for anyone dealing with infertility, specially for people with difficult diagnosis. The only negative aspect of my experience was that I felt he considered me as an easy case since I was young and did not investigate why I was not getting pregnant before starting me on fertility treatment. After 2 failed iui and 2 failed ivf he decided to perform a histeroscopy and found out I had a polyp- after the procedure I did my final ivf and got pregnant. I wish I had done the histeroscopy before starting with treatments
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Be prepared to spend a lot of money but in my opinion, it is worth the investment
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
The interactions I had with dr. Davis were great. He knew my records pretty well and always had a plan or next step, which gave me a lot of confidence that I would get pregnant eventually- he made me fell as a human not a number. However, those interactions were only in the first appointment and after failed cycles, in between all my interactions were with the nurses and then I felt like a number.
For the iui I had used clomid and then they performed the insemination. Ivf- birth control pills, low dosage of menopur and follistim. He added ganerelix when my eggs started to getting mature. Follow the retrieval I started the pio shots. For the frozen cycles I used birth control pills, lupron, estrogen patches and pio shots
Describe your experience with your nurse.
My nurse was not very accessible. I am not from ny so I was doing an out of town cycle and struggle to communicating with her, getting orders and prescriptions. when I was 6 weeks pregnant I started bleeding and called the emergency line. They never got back to me, just sent me an email asking how bad was the bleeding - at that point I was already on the emergency room (thankfully it was a SCH that have already resolved)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic is amazing. I have only great thinks to talk about it: the structure is great, process, technology used. The only down side is that due to the amount of patients you can wait for a long time to be monitored
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
The clinic monitors their patients early in the morning. Due to the number of patients the waiting time can be very long depending on the time you arrive - the earlier the shorter waiting time
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
I have paid everything out of pocket and it costed me approximately $30k (1 iui, 1 fresh ivf cycle, 2 FET and histeroscopy)
16 Eggs Frozen
16 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
I really liked Dr. Davis, but I also really liked and respected the entire team at Cornell. This is important because you don't often see your own doctor - you see whomever is in charge of monitoring hours on a given morning, and the doctor who does your retrieval is whomever happens to be on call that day. So I only saw Dr. Davis for my initial consult and one time when he happened to be doing monitoring hours. But I thought that all of the nurses and doctors at Cornell were excellent. Everything went exactly as described, all of the staff were 100% on top of giving me clear instructions every day, and I never had to wonder what was going on or feel like I didn't know what to do next. Dr. Davis himself is great. He took a lot of time to explain the options to me, and provided data on probability of success in detailed terms that I really appreciated. I am a scientifically oriented person, and I found that a few other doctors who I consulted with really glossed over the data, when I wanted to hear hard credible facts. Dr. Davis respected me and provided the information I wanted. He is compassionate but also got right to the point. And most importantly, I have full trust in his medical abilities. I was never scared that I was going to be overstimulated, because Dr. Davis and his team made it seem like they were doing an excellent job of monitoring me closely. I was not a complicated case, so maybe this isn't all due to Dr. Davis' skill, but I got a beautiful result, more than I even expected, with basically no side effects. I was just thrilled that I decided to do elective egg retrieval and freezing, and I would 110% recommend Dr. Davis and Cornell to anyone else considering it.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Set aside time to do some research on where to obtain the drugs - first have the Cornell nurse call them in to see if your health insurance will cover them, and if not, research a pharmacy with the best retail price. The Cornell team does not help that much with this part, so you'll need to spend some time on it. Also, do attend the "training" on how to inject yourself. It was worth it to feel more comfortable with starting the injections.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
While Cornell has tons of patients undergoing cycles at any one time, the fact that they process you through their massive system didn't make me feel like a number - I appreciated that they had such a system, which made things efficient and move quickly! In his consultation with me, Dr. Davis truly listened, and was willing to take as much time as I needed to answer my questions and discuss my options. He is truly a caring doctor as well as being brilliant.
Dr. Davis used a basic protocol for me, with Menopur and Gonal-F to stimulate, followed by another drug to suppress ovulation starting halfway through, followed by a single trigger shot.
Instructions were always left on time, always very clear, and it was easy to get someone to call me back if I had a question. I didn't have just one nurse though - it varied a lot from day to day. But I was OK with that.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
Tribeca location usually didn't have a long wait if you got there right when it opened. UES location did always have a long wait, but tons of people were there in the waiting room, so it appeared to be moving as fast as it possibly could.
2012 - 2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
I traveled from DC to see him....I couldn't believe how much time he had spent with my file before sitting down with us. He also began by addressing why he thought I was experiencing the miscarriages. He didn't try to push more IVF until he had determined why the miscarriages were occurring.
2012 - 2013
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
I credit him with the birth of my twin girls and could not have been happier with my choice. He is a brilliant doctor -- creative and always trying to find the right solution for his patient, not what works for most patients. He did a hysteroscopy on me to look at my uterus before starting fertility treatments, suspecting that I may have some scarring that was preventing implantation. And he was right -- I have significant scarring from a D&C the year before that my previous doctor had never thought to look for. He promptly returned my calls and was thoughtful in answering all my questions. And he treated me like an individual -- I always felt as though I had very personal care. I cannot recommend him highly enough. If there is any weakness, I would say that the practice is large and other doctors often perform retrievals, monitor progress, etc. on a rotation. But the doctors at Weill Cornell are all exceptional, so it didn't cause concern. Dr. Davis was always available by email or phone if I felt I needed to check in with him.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
I traveled from DC to see him. Don't rule him out just because you live outside of New York, if you have hit a wall with physicians in your city and your personal/work life allows for travel. He's the best and is worth the trip.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
After leaving a doctor who never remembered my name and made little attempt to address my problems -- low ovarian reserve and recurring pregnancy loss (3 miscarriages) -- I arrived for a consult with Dr. Davis with low expectations. He sat with my husband and me for probably an hour and a half, repeating my medical history from memory. I couldn't believe how much time he had spent with my file before sitting down with us. He also began by addressing why he thought I was experiencing the miscarriages. He didn't try to push more IVF until he had determined why the miscarriages were occurring.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Elizabeth was very responsive and experienced.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
There was a morning window, so I could go when convenient. The waiting area is very busy, so that does not feel personal at all, but they were orderly and efficient and the wait was not excessive. The waiting area has comfortable seats, water and plenty of reading materials.
2004 - 2010
He [Dr. Davis] talks fast, but explains everything, and doesn't sugar-coat. I am a scientific professional and I want to be given accurate information -- and I was. I was a surprisingly challenging patient -- came in as obstructive male factor, but stimmed like 5 years older than I actually was -- so we did some crazy estrogen-priming protocol when I was still 37 and it WORKED for kid #2. Plus: he's super kind...
2004 - 2010
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
He talks fast, but explains everything, and doesn't sugar-coat. I am a scientific professional and I want to be given accurate information -- and I was. I was a surprisingly challenging patient -- came in as obstructive male factor, but stimmed like 5 years older than I actually was -- so we did some crazy estrogen-priming protocol when I was still 37 and it WORKED for kid #2. Plus: he's super kind.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Listen closely. Don't be afraid to ask questions. He will answer e-mail but keep yours short; his will be too. There's no one like him for aging ovaries. I owe my two children to him.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
During my first cycle at Cornell. my mother died unexpectedly the day before I was supposed to start stims. Dr. Davis, and the entire staff, could not have been more kind. They held me on Lupron for a week and we decided to cycle. Cancelling would have been devastating -- I had to travel to cycle -- and it was the right thing to do, and they gently supported me through it. That cycle was successful. I love this clinic, & especially Dr. Davis.
Starting off: age 34, obstructive male factor & two failures at an Ohio clinic. (Sperm was frozen when I was 32 & we had a fixed number of vials that were shipped from Ohio to NYC; my husband could not tolerate another operation.) We did vanilla long Lupron, moderate stims, endometrial co-culture, success. Came back at age 37 & tried same long Lupron protocol; low response but did make it to transfer, negative. Then microdose Lupron; cycle cancelled for lack of response. Then estrogen priming & giant stim dose; still endometrial co-culture; success.
They stayed in contact & suported when we needed them. This was when I had first gotten a smartphone & was still amazed at how useful texts could be...the appointment coordinator for the co-culture biopsies was super helpful.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: unbelievably strong medical team & lab. Weaknesses: they're a big operation & necessarily run like one. (But if you think those compare in weight? That's your problem. Also: I grew up in NY and generally value competence & efficiency over politeness. So I'm happy when institutions I work with agree.)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
Cattle call, but comfortable. Much more efficient than time slot appointments would have been.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
Oh gosh. I think we spent over 100K total, for 6 cycles at 2 clinics, and certainly the bulk of that was at Cornell. No insurance coverage. The year we did 3 cycles I think we had over 50K in medical expenses on our tax returns.
2006 - 2009
IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Other
And most importantly, he [Dr. Owen Davis] was willing to take me on as a patient when no one else at any of the major fertility centers in NYC, Boston, SF, or Baltimore would (because I was 42, and had very poor ovarian reserve and endometriosis), and he was willing to keep trying for years despite terrible odds until he really thought my chances of conceiving with my own egg had become impossible and was no longer comfortable continuing to try. And even then, when I requested going back to doing unmedicated IUIs so as not to waste even a single chance while awaiting donor eggs, he was willing to listen to me and do them. Thank goodness! Because on the second one I got pregnant with my wonderful, normal, healthy son!
2006 - 2009
IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
As I said, he's kind, respectful, and provides as much detail as one wants to know about one's treatment. And most importantly, he was willing to take me on as a patient when no one else at any of the major fertility centers in NYC, Boston, SF, or Baltimore would (because I was 42, and had very poor ovarian reserve and endometriosis), and he was willing to keep trying for years despite terrible odds until he really thought my chances of conceiving with my own egg had become impossible and was no longer comfortable continuing to try. And even then, when I requested going back to doing unmedicated IUIs so as not to waste even a single chance while awaiting donor eggs, he was willing to listen to me and do them. Thank goodness! Because on the second one I got pregnant with my wonderful, normal, healthy son!
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Be as relaxed and nonchalant about it as you can possibly be, and keep trying. That's when it happens.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
He's kind, respectful, and provides as much detail as one wants to know about one's treatment. The staff were lovely, too (with the exception of one obnoxious phlebotomist).
Dr. D told me it was extremely unlikely (maybe a 1% chance) that I would be able to conceive with my own eggs but that he was willing to try.  We did one or two unmedicated IUIs (with 1 chemical pregnancy), 4-6 medicated IUIs (with various doses of Clomid, an HCG trigger, and IM Progesterone after; 1 chemical pregnancy), and 7 or 8 IVF cycles (with various doses of Menopur and Follistim +/- Ganirelix; best cycle, which was early on, got 8 follicles otherwise 1-3; did 2-3 retrievals and only 1 transfer that didn't work).  He then told me that since I was now over 45 and had even worse ovarian function, getting pregnant with my own eggs would now be virtually impossible, and I should consider adoption or donor eggs.  I agreed to move to donor eggs, but said that while we were doing all we needed to do to make that happen, I wanted to go back to doing unmedicated IUIs on every possible cycle I could, so as not to waste even a single, potentially good egg while waiting.  He agreed to do it because I insisted, but swore it would never work. The second one resulted in a normal healthy son. He repeated the pregnancy test before calling me with the positive result because he didn’t believe it!
They were very good and pleasant. The nurses/PAs who did most of my IUIs (Dr. Davis did a few, too) were lovely.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Biggest strength is that the were willing to take me and made it all happen and were pleasant and efficient about it. Biggest weakness was one obnoxious phlebotomist. I hate the relatively new (done because of HIPAA) practice throughout Cornell of calling people by their first name and last initial when they call out for you in the waiting room as though we were all in kindergarten, but that's not their fault. I'd prefer they either ask me what I'd like to be called, or just have us all take a number like they do at the deli.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
I think an unmedicated IUI including tv u/s was about $400. IVF came out to somewhere between $20-40k depending on what we did. I honestly don't recall the details. A few cycles were covered by my insurance, the rest I paid myself. It was expensive and it was a long time ago.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Davis is highly competent, intelligent, compassionate, realistic, and thorough -- all the things I could have hoped for in a doctor. He is a man on a fertility mission; he is all business yet still manages to make you feel like a person. Despite the high volume of patients he sees on a daily basis, he was always up to speed with my treatment and was available whenever I needed to speak with him directly. At no time was I confused about my treatment or what the next steps were going to be. I can't recommend him highly enough.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Do not wait to make an appointment - if you want to see him, the sooner the better.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Even though the practice at CRM is huge, everyone I met with treated me with respect and kindness. There are literally hundreds of patients waiting in the monitoring room each day yet I did not encounter any frustrated doctors, nurses, or other staff. Whenever I met with Dr. Davis, he was completely up to speed on my treatment.
I started a protocol of 300 cc follistim, 150 menopur for the first 12 days of my cycle - around day 8 as I was getting ready for the retrieval, he prescribed ganirelix to prevent me from ovulating. I was monitored every day or every other day with blood work and then ultrasounds. I did not have any side effects, which I am so grateful for. I was triggered on day 13 and retrieved on day 15, closely following my natural cycle. Dr. Davis retrieved 14 eggs, 11 of which were mature. Of the 11, 8 fertilized with ICSI, and 5 went on to be blastocysts. I transferred a single embryo on day 5 - prior to the retrieval we discussed my desire to transfer just 1 embryo if possible. I was thrilled to get a positive blood pregnancy test on day 28, and now have an additional 4 embryos frozen for future use. Dr. Davis did not recommend genetic testing in my case because of family history and age; he explained that it was an additional step to freeze and unfreeze the embryos and that in my circumstances, the risks were not worth doing it.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Katie is an excellent nurse and always answered my questions within a few hours. She is super thorough and organized - nothing ever fell through the cracks with her. I saw her frequently, but other nurses often did the blood work monitoring or ultrasounds. They were all great. Like Dr. Davis, Katie was always completely up to speed on my treatment, which reassured me that my case was being followed personally.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Many other patients have described CRM as a well-oiled machine. It is, which, when it comes to IVF, is a great thing. Having experienced both kind of clinics - more personal vs more automatic - I prefer this environment. Everyone is super nice and professional, but the automation keeps things moving smoothly. With this volume of patients, everything has to be timed to the minute. Despite the high volume, the obvious compassion and level of training from everyone - the billing team, receptionists, nurses, doctors - makes you feel like a person.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
Super efficient. I do not live close to the clinic in Manhattan (I am about 2 hours away) so it was a pain sometimes getting there in the morning before 8:30. However, I never had to wait long to see someone (less than 15 minutes) and was always in and out. Everyone super nice and professional. Usually there are between 75-100 people waiting. The Mount Kisco location is closer to my house, but unfortunately not as efficient. I think they only have 1-2 nurses there, and usually only 5-10 people waiting, but much longer wait times (usually 30 minutes or more).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
Medications - $14,000; IVF - $10,500; ICSI - $2,700; Hospital Fee - $1800; Embryo cryopreservation - $1100 per year; Individual consultations/visits with Dr. Davis - $550 each, probably around 6-8 of those total including initial consultation and follow up after achieving pregnancy
10 Eggs Frozen
I met with Dr. Davis once in person and had a very nice conversation with him. He understood my concerns and was very willing to let me freeze up front, which I pushed to do, prior to a fresh transfer. They wil freeze on Day 1 which is different from a lot of places. He was open to me saying I wanted to do a low dose cycle and responsive by phone when I had questions...He's lovely...The pros of Dr. Davis are outweighed by the cons of the actual clinic.
10 Eggs Frozen
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
He's lovely- the clinic is horrible. The pros of Dr. Davis are outweighed by the cons of the actual clinic.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
My issue is not with Dr. David but rather with CRM as a clinic. Dr. Davis was a lovely and kind human and seems like a great doc. I actually never saw him at all through my entire cycle except for the retrieval, which was just luck of the draw. But he was very responsive by phone- no email... CRM treats women like cattle. You are absolutely a number to them- not a person. It is the least patient centered practice I have ever come across. During my stims and monitoring I never once saw or spoke with the same tech, nurse or doc twice. Some of the docs looked so young I wasn't sure if they were med students. I was getting ready to offer to do my own ultrasound.... There was a range of nice and pleasant people, and then some who could barely be bothered to introduce themselves. Then you have to wonder, though measuring follicles is probably a fairly rote skill, there has to be some variance from person to person. If your actual doc is using these measurements and your bloodwork to make choices about your treatment and there's no consistency, it can have a negative impact. In other clinics there is usually 1-2 docs, maybe 3, doing the measuring and during teh rotation you eventually see your own. This was literally a different person every day. On two days I waited over 90 minutes for monitoring. There were literally no seats available in the waiting room. But My REAL beef is for how they handle pre- op and retrievals. On the day after you trigger, you have to show up at 6:30 in the morning with everyone who is being retrieved the next day. You sit at a conference table with everyone and one by one they take you back for bloodwork and to sign consents- again with whomever is on call. The once everyone has gone you are supposed to sit in a class and go over paperwork together. There is no concern from them if you’ve done this before and therefore don’t need to hear things you already know, and no effort made to separate the fresh from the frozen transfers- because you don’t actually need the same info for those 2 situations. They don’t care. I left the class but not before the nurse told me, “If you screw this up we’ll cancel you.” Nice. Then the actual day of retrieval, I was asked to show up at 7am. My trigger was 10PM so I know there’s no way they’re doing my procedure before 9AM. But they make you come early for their convenience and to keep the factory flowing. When you arrive you have to change into hospital pants, robe, gown etc and then sit in the waiting room with EVERYONE ELSE who is there for the same procedure- this includes the women as well as their partners, their parents, whomever they have brought. There is absolutely NO PRIVACY- which has got to be a HIPPA violation. After I got the IV put in I sat for another hour and waited for my turn. I literally heard the nurse at the desk say “ I have numbers 1-6 checked in.” They literally count you as a number. When it is your turn you go in with a group of 3 women. They seat you in another tiny waiting room where you have the option to ignore the people you’re sitting there with, or engage in conversation. Either way, it is a forced situation. The anesthesiologist comes in to go over your stuff in complete earshot of the other 2 people sitting there. Again, no privacy. And then you go back and have the procedure. You wake up in recovery and they as soon as you can sit up and talk they’re pushing you out to make room for the next. I was happy to get out of there quickly, but if you are someone how doesn’t do well with anesthesia, you gotta wonder how that would go. Again, Dr. Davis is a lovely person. The clinic is the pits. There are so many options in NYC why put up with this?
i was given 5 days of clomid at 100mg and then 75 meno adn 150 follistim. I actually only took 50 of the clomid instead of 100 becuase I had just done 2 cycles elsewhere with 50 and 25 clomid and had responded really well. So I jsut did the same thing- but didn't mention it. I knew it would be fine and my eggs retrieved were exactly the same as they have been for the past 2 cycles.
I never saw the same nurse tiwce so I can't really comment. I find it aggravating that they ONLY do instructions over the phone and don't haev any online portal or email access which literally every other clinic does now. They are stuck in the 1980s. you can pay cash to have a nurse come to your home and do the trigger shot if that is something you need help with. And Dr. Davis's secrretary, Tramaine, is AMAZING! She is so nice, so organized and so responsive. Can't say enough good things about her.
See above
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
it was around 15K for a freeze up front cycle. I paid out of pocket. Although because it was relatively low dose, the meds were much less expensive.
Upper East Side
When meeting with Dr. Davis, he really took the time to answer all your questions. Never made me feel rushed. Always had an answer for me based off of statistics. He just really knew what he was doing. never made me feel like what i was asking was insane or unheard of..... I had one antagonist protocol. All i really remember from that cycle was a high dosage of stims. the next cycle was a low dose clomid cycle. and the third cycle was a low dose clomid cycle with estrogen during the tww. he suggested a hysteroscopy in between cycle 2 and 3 and there was a polyp removed.
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
I thought Dr Davis was very knowledgeable regarding my case and studies in general. Any questions I had for him, he addressed and reassured me of his reasoning behind the protocol. Will be using him again for baby #2.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Just know he speaks fast, be prepared to keep up. Also, have all your questions written down before you meet with him. That way you dont miss anything. He will get to all your questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
the nurses were great! in between my 2nd and 3rd cycle dr Davis had a new nurse... i didnt really have time to meet with her- she did however give me good news every time we spoke. it was the cycle that worked.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
morning monitoring was always a long wait. if you got there at 7am it was no time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments.
it was morning monitoring. if you got there early it wasnt a long wait. if you got there after 8am it was longer...
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
all i know, it was out of pocket and not cheap.
2013 - 2016
Dr. Davis exemplifies compassionate care and was incredibly thoughtful and sensitive yet direct in all of our interactions...Dr. Davis gave us hope and assurance while at the same time advising us of the raw facts regarding our cycle. He changed protocols depending on response and was very responsive to our numerous questions and concerns. Could not ask for a better partner in our fertility journey...
2013 - 2016
Investment Banker
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Have faith in the medical team.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Used micro dose Lupron approach for a number of cycles and last cycle used estrogen priming and clomid. Used gonal f, menopur, ganirelix. They also as a Center believe in doing IM progesterone injections relative to a suppository.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Very, very sweet and very patient. Listened to all my concerns and provided strong counsel when necessary.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Overall a very positive environment - did not feel very hospital like and everyone was very easy to interact with. Would like to have interacted more with our primary doctor but all the attending physicians are some of the best in the world. Wait times could be long if you did not arrive prior to 730am for monitoring. Also, spent too much time with billing.
$13k for the cycle including ICSI
2006 - 2007
Dr. Davis had amazing bedside manner was always up-to-date on my status. He was also very diligent returning calls or emails...I can't say enough good things about Cornell. I always felt that I had received amazing care. Every doctor was compassionate and up-to-date on where I was in the fertility process. The nurses were also wonderful and always great with getting back to me when I had any questions.
2006 - 2007
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
You are an amazing hands. Dr. Davis is a unique doctor with unsurpassed knowledge of fertility as well as amazing bedside manner
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
I was a poor responder to the I VF drugs. Dr. Davis put me on a protocol for poor responders which resulted in my nine-year-old son Max
Describe your experience with your nurse.
All the nurses at Cornell were top notch.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Very large clinic that sees a lot of patients. But I don't I feel that is a bad thing. They see a lot of interesting cases therefore they have knowledgeable in all facets of fertility
I think about $6000 for clinic
Upper East Side
Great bedside manner, never felt rushed. Really felt like he put thought and care into my plan and that he reviewed my records carefully.
excellent
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
great bedside manner never felt rushed really felt like he put thought and care into my plan and that he reviewed my records carefully every step along the way he returned my phone calls very quickly and was very responsive
Describe your experience with your nurse.
very responsive - returned phone calls within about a half-hour
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis.
dr. davis does not accept insurance for consultations and ultrasounds. it's important to know that after you have the consultation, if your insurance covers fertility treatment then your treatment will be billed under weil-cornell, not dr. davis - so the only thing you might have to pay out of pocket for is dr. davis
6 Eggs Frozen
He [Dr. Davis] is wonderful but we never saw him. Really lovely when we spoke with them. But Impossible to get a hold of; all through voicemail which is challenging for someone working >60hrs a week... It's a factory. Well-run, but a factory. It's [Cornell Weill] a factory. Well-run, but a factory.
6 Eggs Frozen
Investment Banker
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
He is wonderful but we never saw him. I did refer a friend to him before I went, she went for 2 cycles and had great success. All-in he got 30k btwn me and my referrals. Would have appreciated some direct attention
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
It's a factory. Well-run, but a factory. Just feel like a pin cushion, throw your legs up, etc. not really their fault. Just a part of the process. Had very little interaction with Dr Davis himself.
Conveyor belt
2013 - 2014
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr Davis is a real professional. He's not warm and mushy but he does care and is very responsive to you. He telegraphs the I got this - not in a condescending way, but in a way that inspires confidence... Be honest with him about what direction you want to take. I wasn't thrilled about doing IUI and we only did 2 months before switching to IVF, but I wished I had spoken up sooner.
2013 - 2014
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Owen Davis?
He's great - total professional and we had confidence he would be able to figure out how to help us.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
be honest with him about what direction you want to take. I wasn't thrilled about doing IUI and we only did 2 months before switching to IVF, but I wished I had spoken up sooner.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
They were professionals but were caring and diligent in explaining what to expect. There's also a lot of needles involved, but they were virtually painless.
2011 - 2013
20 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Dr. Owen Davis is a marvelous doctor. He is brilliant and kind to boot. He answers all questions via email or phone. He is a gem...Ask questions and be prepared to write things down because he is a fast talker....The billing department [at Cornell Fertility] is terrible, stay on them! Otherwise at a busy clinic phone messages can go awry. I had only minor problems with the nurses when the primary nurse was out of the office. [The nurses] are very knowledgeable.
2011 - 2013
20 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
Highly recommended.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Ask questions and be prepared to write things down because he is a fast talker.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
They are very knowledgeable.
2013
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Owen Davis is amazing. He treats every patient with respect and takes the time to explain every step of the process. He is also responsive by phone or email... Although I didn't get pregnant with Dr. Davis, I had a great experience with him.
2013
1 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis?
Have a list of questions - he covers everything, but he also talks very fast!