4.9

Harvard

Owen Davis works at

1305 York Avenue

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Davis was a strong proponent of fresh day 3 transfers, and one time we transferred 4 of them, which made me pretty nervous. ... I went to Dr. Davis because of his reputation as a researcher, which is impeccable. However, he has so many patients that our interactions were very brief. By my third cycle I felt like he had lost interest in my case. During my fourth cycle - a protocol that I requested - I neither saw nor spoke to him once.
Cornell has a research profile and reputation that is nearly unmatched, as far as I can tell. ... But I experienced it as a large, impersonal practice, which very little investment in whether or not I personally had a successful outcome. ... I was in excruciating pain for 24 hours after each retrieval, and did not feel that the clinic took my pain seriously until my final cycle, and that was after speaking with four different people.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Go prepared to ask a lot of questions, and do not expect hand holding. I thought I didn't need personalized attention if I was seeing someone with incredible research chops, but discovered that this is a more emotional process than I realized.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Cornell is a large cattle-call practice. I was monitored by a different attending almost every time. I didn't have a consistent nurse. I felt like my treatment plans were by the numbers, rather than tailored to me specifically, and I had real problems with pain management after egg retrieval. Over two years, they never even pronounced my name correctly. It wasn't great.
Describe the protocols Owen Davis used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
3 IUI with Clomid, no success. One IVF cycle with estrogen priming and high doses of Follistim and Menopur, canceled due to nonresponse. One IVF cycle with estrogen priming, Clomid, and low doses of Follistim and Menopur, resulting in 3 day 3 fresh embryos transferred, no success. One IVF with estrogen priming, Clomid, low doses of Follistim and Menopur, plus endometrial co-culture, which was painful and not covered by insurance, 4 day 3 fresh embryos transferred, no success. One IVF with estrogen priming and Lupron flare (my request), 2 day 3 fresh embryos transferred, no success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had a different nurse every time, so it's hard to say. Once I had to request a different phlebotomist because she was having so much trouble taking my blood. Honestly, my experience with them wasn't great.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell has a research profile and reputation that is nearly unmatched, as far as I can tell. And I know colleagues who have found success there. But I experienced it as a large, impersonal practice, which very little investment in whether or not I personally had a successful outcome. At the beginning of this process I thought I didn't need compassionate care if the research chops were there, but over time and repeated failures my needs changed, and I completed treatment elsewhere.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
It was a cattle call with a line around the corner. I regularly waited at least an hour, and once was forgotten in an examining room waiting for an ultrasound.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had insurance coverage. My out of pocket expenses were $1000 for endometrial co-culture, several trigger shots, and misc.
Describe Owen Davis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Davis was a strong proponent of fresh day 3 transfers, and one time we transferred 4 of them, which made me pretty nervous. He felt that embryos had a better chance of success in a woman's body than in a petri dish. I ultimately had success with a fresh day 3 transfer with another doctor.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had a real problem with pain management after egg retrieval. I gather that my body is unusually sensitive, as most people don't experience this level, but I was in excruciating pain for 24 hours after each retrieval, and did not feel that the clinic took my pain seriously until my final cycle, and that was after speaking with four different people.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Davis is a strong scientist. He is not a hand-holder. I felt like our interactions were very brief, straightforward and business-like....Clomid for 5 days (I'm 42, low AMH) and IUI. HSG after 4th IUI...I feel like there were several oversights in association with my treatment, and I wonder if his ego got in the way. As an example, he waited several cycles before performing an HSG on me. Most clinics use that in their initial diagnostic phase. IUIs with a blocked fallopian tube is pointless.
The nurses [at Weill Cornell Medical College] are great. Slightly frazzled, lots going on. But they are caring, compassionate and smart. I liked them better than my doctor, to be honest...One of the more expensive places in NYC. Owen Davis charges for clomid monitoring, which seems semi-insane. Around 1250 / IUI...It is a factory. On the plus side, they know what they're doing and they are efficient. On the minus, there is not a ton of personal connection here. The ladies behind the front desk at the monitoring station can be quite cold. If you want warm and fuzzies, this clinic is not the place.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I know he is good at what he does. However, I feel like there were several oversights in association with my treatment, and I wonder if his ego got in the way. As an example, he waited several cycles before performing an HSG on me. Most clinics use that in their initial diagnostic phase. IUIs with a blocked fallopian tube is pointless. AND an HSG can increase the chances of IUI success. No reason in the world that this shouldn't have been done before I started. Lots of money down the drain, and I consider that careless.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK and make sure you ask for as much info as possible. Silly things, like getting on a prenatal as you start treatment were never disclosed. You really have to ask for the things you need with OD, cause it will not be volunteered. He is not a bad human and I think he cares about what he does. But again, too many clients and a slightly large ego makes him a bit tricky.
Clomid for 5 days (I'm 42, low AMH) and IUI. HSG after 4th IUI.
The nurses are great. Slightly frazzled, lots going on. But they are caring, compassionate and smart. I liked them better than my doctor, to be honest.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Only one mishap - drug sent to the wrong pharm. Otherwise, these guys know what they're doing.
2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Investment Banker
I don’t think he [Dr. Owen Davis] paid enough attention to my individual case and what could have been causing my infertility. My treatment was not customized. It was generally very difficult to get in touch with the doctor...Good bedside manner...happy to just keep doing IVF cycles without alteration given my unlimited insurance benefit. I self-diagnosed that my fibroids may have driven my infertility which the doctors had ignored.
I frequently had to chase nurses [at Weill Cornell] to get them to call in prescriptions. They were overwhelmed and had short fuses with patients. Doctors were happy to just keep doing IVF cycles without alteration given my unlimited insurance benefit. I self-diagnosed that my fibroids may have driven my infertility which the doctors had ignored...$15k per cycle...Professional Experienced doctors...Clean facilities Accepts insurance Operates generally like a well-oiled machine Modern facilities Range of doctors and specialties onsite and within walking distance Weaknesses: It’s a money making machine Doctors don’t tailor protocols enough No examination of nutritional or lifestyle deficiencies
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I don’t think he paid enough attention to my individual case and what could have been causing my infertility. My treatment was not customized. It was generally very difficult to get in touch with the doctor as well as the nurses.
If it doesn’t work after a couple of tries and you don’t see active involvement in diagnosing what could be the issue, switch centers.
Good bedside manner
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Professional Experienced doctors Clean facilities Accepts insurance Operates generally like a well-oiled machine Modern facilities Range of doctors and specialties onsite and within walking distance Weaknesses: It’s a money making machine Doctors don’t tailor protocols enough No examination of nutritional or lifestyle deficiencies
Efficient
$15k per cycle
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I frequently had to chase nurses to get them to call in prescriptions. They were overwhelmed and had short fuses with patients. Doctors were happy to just keep doing IVF cycles without alteration given my unlimited insurance benefit. I self-diagnosed that my fibroids may have driven my infertility which the doctors had ignored.