4.9

Harvard

Owen Davis works at

1305 York Avenue

2017, Unknown Success
i came to him [Dr. Davis] because i was told he would do day 2 or 3 freezing and fresh transfers if desired and appropriate. ... We had one initial converastion to make a plan. It was extended and I never felt rushed. ... I told him I thought I had been way overmedicated in my previous cycle and he listened and dosed lower as a result. We ended up having a very solid outcome of that cycle with 10 to freeze. Ultimately the one pgs normal was in that group but it ended up not taking in transfer.
100% a cattle call. ... there were literally 75- 100 people waiting to be seen. ... You check in with a swipe card. ... When you get called in you will see random blood draw person- i swear I never saw teh same person twice. ... I hated that I literally never saw Dr. Davis and they drs doing the scans were so clearly like- whatever- about their job. ... you are called by name and given scribs to change into they put the IV in your arm. And then you are put in a waiting room with all the same women AND their partners, parents etc..
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Davis was the 4th fertility doc on my long list. i came to him because i was told he would do day 2 or 3 freezing and fresh transfers if desired and appropriate. This was the first time that those options had been offered to me and given the fact that i cannot get an embryo to day 5 in a dish this was comforting. We had one initial converastion to make a plan. It was extended and I never felt rushed. I asked him about the reason that nothign ever made it to day 5 in the dish and he said probably egg quality but not necessarily. He is not didactic in his approach to treatment and has been doing this long enough to remember the days before automatically pushing to day 5 blasts and pgs was the norm. We ultimately decided on a freeze all cycle with the plan to do another cycle immediately following which I ended up not doing because I hated the clinic so much. I told him I thought I had been way overmedicated in my previous cycle and he listened and dosed lower as a result. We ended up having a very solid outcome of that cycle with 10 to freeze. Ultimately the one pgs normal was in that group but it ended up not taking in transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be aware that you will probably never see him in person again after your initial consult. He was available by phone as was consistent in returning phone calls and I never felt rushed in our conversations.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Davis is a very nice person. He was very patient and available on the phone and reassuring. I absolutely hated the clinic and that was the reason I only did 1 cycle there. But I liked him as a Dr and respected his approach.
Describe the protocols Owen Davis used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
It was lose dose- i think it was 25 clomid on cycle days 3-7 and then 125 follistim. He likes double ganirelix on theses low dose cycles, but I thouht it may have been over-suppressive so i actually just did one and a half ganirelix instead of 2X a day.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I remember Dr. Davis's manager a lot more than his nursing staff. His office manager was excellent. The way that Cornell organizes their clinic make me so aggravated that I honestly don't think I had a main nurse. You literally never see teh same person twice- nurse or even phlebotomist. They were all.... fine. It really is truly a factory so the nurses respond to the culture that they are a part of and have no power to change.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Let me start by saying that I hated pretty much everything about the way this clinic is run. it is impersonal. It is a factory but not a well oiled machine. All REs love to talk about how their labs are teh best. Literally every single RE will tell you they have the best lab. And while there are some labs that may be better than others in some ways, for the most part i think it's negligible once you get past a certain threshold of care. So I think Cornell hides behind "we have the best lab" argument to avoid actually providing quality continuity of care. The waiting room holds 100 people. You check in with a swipe card. It is incredibely impersonal. They do not run on time. When you get called in you will see random blood draw person- i swear I never saw teh same person twice. Then you will be assigned a room and random young dr will do your scan. I seriously had to ask a few of tehm if they were med students or not becuase tehy looked so young, and again, I never saw teh same person twice. This is a problem becuase everyone measures follicles differently and you are relying on their measurements being given to your dr to decide on what next steps are needed. So if you are deciding when to trigger and someone measures either generously or conservatively it can actually have a major impact on your outcome. I hated that I literally never saw Dr. Davis and they drs doing the scans were so clearly like- whatever- about their job. It is a factory. I also really, really have a major issue with how they handle retrievals. First of all, EVERYONE is required to come to a 6am class and sort of group blood work the day before your retrieval even if you have already done multiple retrievals. They come out with a clipboard and the order that your name goes on teh clipboard is the order that you are seen. So you sit around a conference table with all the women who are being retrieved the next day. Too bad about HIPPA and expectations of privacy- there are NONE. You could end up sitting there with your boss, or your sister in law, or your hairdresser. I actually can;t believe it's legal. Then they call yuo back one at a time to do blood and sign forms. I then refused to stay for the class ofw hat to expect becuase this was going to be by 4th or 5th retrieval which I told them. The nurses were not nice about it all and threatened to cancel my cycle if I messed up anything. I was like- you are handing me a piece of paper with the extensive instructions of what to do. i can read and I will follow them . And then I left. Then the next day I showed up at 6am again- for a 10am retrieval- which is just obnoxious. Then again, you are called by name and given scribs to change into they put the IV in your arm. And then you are put in a waiting room with all the same women AND their partners, parents etc... in scrubs... with an IV sticking in your arm. And you wait. Again. And then they call you by name in groups of 3 and take you to a tiny waiting room. There one at a time the anethesiologist pulls you into the hallway (i swear) to have a private converastion about any anethesia you may have. I had 2 very lovely girls I was sitting with and we kinda chatted a bit but honestly, what if you don't really want to be in scrubs with strangers having a convo right before your retrieval? Then they take you one at a time and you see whoever is on call for retrievals that day- you may or may not have ever met them. Then you go to recovery. They wake you up with mandatory pain pills and send you on your merry way. They do tell you how many eggs were retrieved and thats it. Having had a a fair amount of clinic experiences by the time I got there I had a lot of comparisons to other clinics and this model is by a loooong shot, my least favorite. I ended up moving my 10 frozen 2PNs to another clinic because I refused to ever cycle with them again.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
100% a cattle call. See above. I walked in one saturday and there were literally 75- 100 people waiting to be seen. It is the worst model for monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I paid OOP for this whole cycle. I think it was around 20k?
Describe Owen Davis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Upper East Side

We did PGS testing [with Dr. Owen Davis] given my age...spoke to me honestly and explained in detail the statistical chances of success and the reasons for the protocol he’s chosen... is up to date on all of the research and is a preeminent expert in the field. I only saw him in person once because I live uptown and decided to do all my monitoring in Tribeca, but when I had questions it was very easy to schedule a call and he always took the time to speak with me and answer any of my questions.
Cattle call on UES [of Weill Cornell Medical College], but very efficiently run if you weren’t at the start of your cycle. Tribeca civilized and well run, never waited there more than 20 minutes...20-25k per cycle...and they don’t allow outside lab monitoring, so no traveling if you can’t get back every other day...I didn’t forge any relationship wit the nursing staff, they vary as did the quality of their communication.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Davis is up to date on all of the research and is a preeminent expert in the field. I only saw him in person once because I live uptown and decided to do all my monitoring in Tribeca, but when I had questions it was very easy to schedule a call and he always took the time to speak with me and answer any of my questions.
Have faith, and even though the clinic itself is very crowded and impersonal, know that an experts eyes are monitoring you daily and in charge of tour cycle and outcome.
Dr. Davis spoke to me honestly and explained in detail the statistical chances of success and the reasons for the protocol he’s chosen.
300 Gonal F, 150 menopur, Cetrotide. We did PGS testing given my age. Estrogen priming the second round. First round, 8 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with icsi, 3 made it to day 5 (blastocyst), all anaploid. Second round 10 retriever, 8 mature, 3 fertilized with icsi, 2 made it to day 5 (blastocyst), one mosaic and one anaploid.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Crowded on UES location, and they don’t allow outside lab monitoring, so no traveling if you can’t get back every other day. The tribeca location was easy and civilized and little wait but of course Dr Davis isn’t there, so i never saw him.
Cattle call on UES, but very efficiently run if you weren’t at the start of your cycle. Tribeca civilized and well run, never waited there more than 20 minutes.
20-25k per cycle.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr Davis was always knowledgeable About my situation...I would 100% recommend him if he had a different staff. He is always knowledgeable about my situation, answers my questions and seems to be on top of his game. Usually he calls me back immediately. Once i had been notified of a chemical pregnancy but he didn’t call me until Monday (i asked to speak to him Friday morning).
They [nurses at Weill Cornell] have made mistakes. Often i ask them to double check with dr Davis and their directions would change as a result. They did not seem to be able to answer my questions. Generally unimpressed. I had Katie last time and i thought she was on top of things. This time the nurses keep changing and i have not being impressed...It makes the process mor Nerve racking because i wish i could trust the nurses and not have to second guess.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be your own advocate with the nurses. Get the plan from dr Davis and question the nurses if they are incorrect or if it was different than the plan dr Davis mentioned.
Dr Davis was always knowledgeable About my situation. The nurses did not seem to always be knowledgeable and i felt like a number with them.
First time i got pregnant in 2016 after a natural cycle iui with estrogen priming for an ivf cycle i did not need to start because i was pregnant. I then did 3 natural cycle iuis (because it was successful the first time). Started Estrogen priming for ivf but had to Stop protocol Because i had a positive pregnancy test. Turned out it was a chemical pregnancy. Starting ivf next cycle.
They have made mistakes. Often i ask them to double check with dr Davis and their directions would change as a result. They did not seem to be able to answer my questions. Generally unimpressed. I had Katie last time and i thought she was on top of things. This time the nurses keep changing and i have not being impressed.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr Davis is great and very knowledgeable. Be your own advocate with the nurses and ask questions. When necessary ask them to double check with the doctor. The billing department is inefficient and annoying.
He was out of pocket. So expensive
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The nurses gave me incorrect information but i questioned it. I almost had to cancel an iui because nurse Noel thought i was doing ivf not an iui and told me i couldn’t come in for my appointment. A couple of times they gave me instructions i questioned and when they checked with dr Davis i was correct. It makes the process mor Nerve racking because i wish i could trust the nurses and not have to second guess.
Upper East Side

The clinic [Weill Cornell] has a good system for monitoring appointments where patients checked in for the appointments in the morning 7 days a week.... I found the clinic well run. I liked that waiting area is not too small. This is not directly about the clinic, but we drove to the clinic so it was hard at times to find a parking space. We used different parking facilities nearby.... I spoke with two different nurses from the office of Dr.Davis. Both of them knew my case and clarified my misunderstanding. It required me to study all documents they sent to us about the IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I found Dr.Davis competent and respectful of a patient. When he had a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) done on me, he explained every step to me even though I might have not understood every steop. During the IFV cycle, I did not see him until a couple days before an egg retrial surgery. Because he talked fast, it was at times hard for me to understand everything especially it was about unfamiliar medical subjects. He, however, answered my questions patiently so that I could understand well. He was very sympathetic when finding out that our IVF treatment was unsuccessful. And he provided us with options to improve the chance of success next time.
I wished I could have became more familiar with basics of the IVF treatment and anatomy on a female reproductive system so that I could have used the limited time more effectively.
Even though the Upper East Side facility of Weill Cornell as many described as well run facility, care providers, nurses, and doctors took reasonable time to answer questions I had. When I had communicated with nurses from Dr.Davis's office over the phone, they were prompt and courteous.
I went to a usual IFV cycle with regular monitoring. I used Follistim, Menopour, and Ganorelic until the egg retrieval. I used Novarel for egg triggering and afterword Progestorne. Dr. Davis monitored our case though we did not speak to him everyday. Egg retrieval was successful but we did not have mature embryos except 2 embryos used in the embryo transfer procedure. The IVF treatment was unsuccessful but Dr.Davis offered additional procedures to increase the chance of success next time.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic has a good system for monitoring appointments where patients checked in for the appointments in the morning 7 days a week. I had to get used to in the beginning but soon it became a routine.
We had to pay a fixed fee for the IVF treatment in the beginning.
Our doctor suggested multiple embryo transfer to increase a chance of pregnancy thought he talked to us about a chance of getting twins and its risks.
Upper East Side

He [Dr. Owen Davis] wanted to do a fresh transfer instead of a frozen one and wanted to transfer at 3 day since this was the old fashioned way. He thought the freeze and thaw and additional PGD testing on an older woman’s embryos might be too aggressive. He said we didn’t need to cherry pick at my age. We used the same treatment protocol I had used with my previous doctor using menopur and Gonal f. I started out with fewer eggs this cycle and he thought my ovaries maybe had a diminished response after having had four cycles previously. Even though we had fewer eggs than I had had in my previous cycles and I was reluctant to continue with the cycle he thought we should proceed.
They [Weill Cornell] had a convenient satellite location downtown where I could go for monitoring. This location was much more efficient than the UES location. Working with Dr. Davis and his administrators was always easy. Once you have to come for monitoring, schedule of your procedure, preop, your procedure and recovery you feel more like you’re in a big institution.
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He was very impressive. He had ideas on how to take a different approach after we had four previously failed cycles. He couldn’t really explain to us why our transfer didn’t work. When I wanted to know what we could do differently for a subsequent cycle, I never heard back from him.
Be prepared to deal with a big facility type of feeling.
He spent ample time with my husband and I during our first consultation and again after our transfer didn’t work. He answered our questions to our satisfaction. He returned phone calls. Only at the end, did he not respond to my email seeking advice on what to do next.
He wanted to do a fresh transfer instead of a frozen one and wanted to transfer at 3 day since this was the old fashioned way. He thought the freeze and thaw and additional PGD testing on an older woman’s embryos might be too aggressive. He said we didn’t need to cherry pick at my age. We used the same treatment protocol I had used with my previous doctor using menopur and Gonal f. I started out with fewer eggs this cycle and he thought my ovaries maybe had a diminished response after having had four cycles previously. Even though we had fewer eggs than I had had in my previous cycles and I was reluctant to continue with the cycle he thought we should proceed.
The nurse was good about giving you a calendar to start and keep track of things. The nurses were generally good with phone calls and emails. When I had bleeding and clotting during my 2ww while doing progesterone injections, no one I could reach on the emergency line could explain to me why.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
They had a convenient satellite location downtown where I could go for monitoring. This location was much more efficient than the UES location. Working with Dr. Davis and his administrators was always easy. Once you have to come for monitoring, schedule of your procedure, preop, your procedure and recovery you feel more like you’re in a big institution.
The UES location was very busy in the mornings and on weekends. The Tribeca location ran very well and efficiently.
My insurance covered my care with Dr. Davis and most of my medications.
Given my age, Owen Davis was willing to transfer as many as 8 3 day embryos. He had had success in the past doing this. I was willing to go ahead as well. We implanted 3 of the embryos we retrieved an fertilized.
2015, Successful
Dr Davis is a wonderful Doctor. I loved the fact that he always had a plan....The only negative aspect of my experience was that I felt he considered me as an easy case since I was young and did not investigate why I was not getting pregnant before starting me on fertility treatment. After 2 failed iui and 2 failed ivf he decided to perform a histeroscopy and found out I had a polyp- after the procedure I did my final ivf and got pregnant. I wish I had done the histeroscopy before starting with treatments
My nurse [at Cornell Fertility] was not very accessible. I am not from ny so I was doing an out of town cycle and struggle to communicating with her, getting orders and prescriptions. when I was 6 weeks pregnant I started bleeding and called the emergency line. They never got back to me, just sent me an email asking how bad was the bleeding - at that point I was already on the emergency room (thankfully it was a SCH that have already resolved)
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Davis is a wonderful Doctor. I loved the fact that he always had a plan. I was devastated after all my failed cycles and he was able to give me confidence that he knew what he was doing and that it would work out well. I would definitely recommend him for anyone dealing with infertility, specially for people with difficult diagnosis. The only negative aspect of my experience was that I felt he considered me as an easy case since I was young and did not investigate why I was not getting pregnant before starting me on fertility treatment. After 2 failed iui and 2 failed ivf he decided to perform a histeroscopy and found out I had a polyp- after the procedure I did my final ivf and got pregnant. I wish I had done the histeroscopy before starting with treatments
Be prepared to spend a lot of money but in my opinion, it is worth the investment
The interactions I had with dr. Davis were great. He knew my records pretty well and always had a plan or next step, which gave me a lot of confidence that I would get pregnant eventually- he made me fell as a human not a number. However, those interactions were only in the first appointment and after failed cycles, in between all my interactions were with the nurses and then I felt like a number.
For the iui I had used clomid and then they performed the insemination. Ivf- birth control pills, low dosage of menopur and follistim. He added ganerelix when my eggs started to getting mature. Follow the retrieval I started the pio shots. For the frozen cycles I used birth control pills, lupron, estrogen patches and pio shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My nurse was not very accessible. I am not from ny so I was doing an out of town cycle and struggle to communicating with her, getting orders and prescriptions. when I was 6 weeks pregnant I started bleeding and called the emergency line. They never got back to me, just sent me an email asking how bad was the bleeding - at that point I was already on the emergency room (thankfully it was a SCH that have already resolved)
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic is amazing. I have only great thinks to talk about it: the structure is great, process, technology used. The only down side is that due to the amount of patients you can wait for a long time to be monitored
The clinic monitors their patients early in the morning. Due to the number of patients the waiting time can be very long depending on the time you arrive - the earlier the shorter waiting time
I have paid everything out of pocket and it costed me approximately $30k (1 iui, 1 fresh ivf cycle, 2 FET and histeroscopy)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Since I was doing an out of town cycle I had a few issues on getting bloodwork orders and perscriptions
2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Owen Davis] was great, I got the results I wanted! He probably could have been warmer but he was very nice...He was more open to multiples than I was but didn’t push them or really even recommend them to me...explained everything clearly, always asked if I had questions...I went to him because he was recommended by my ob so it was more important to me to be going to a great dr than to have a dr who was my friend
They [nurses at Weill Cornell Medical College] were all nice but didn’t always fully answer questions which could be frustrating, also sometimes it was hard to know when my meds were really called in...I had an issue with getting meds from one of the nurses...I also had a transfer that I am sure was botched as it was painful because the dr poked my uterus with the catheter...all my other transfers were easy... [staff is] not always warm and fuzzy or transparent in terms of which dr does the retrieval/transfer and what their success rate is. As a patient spending tons of money, I want to have a say in who is actually performing the procedures
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He was great, I got the results I wanted! He probably could have been warmer but he was very nice and I went to him because he was recommended by my ob so it was more important to me to be going to a great dr than to have a dr who was my friend
Know that at Cornell you are mostly talking to the nurses and your dr is in charge of your treatment but not necessarily the retrievals/transfers which can be stressful
He was very nice, explained everything clearly, always asked if I had questions
I don’t remember exactly
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
They were all nice but didn’t always fully answer questions which could be frustrating, also sometimes it was hard to know when my meds were really called in
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: great doctors Weaknesses: not always warm and fuzzy or transparent in terms of which dr does the retrieval/transfer and what their success rate is. As a patient spending tons of money, I want to have a say in who is actually performing the procedures
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had an issue with getting meds from one of the nurses I also had a transfer that I am sure was botched as it was painful because the dr poked my uterus with the catheter (it was not dr Davis who did this) and all my other transfers were easy
2015, 6 Eggs Frozen
Investment Banker
He [Dr. Davis] is wonderful but we never saw him. Really lovely when we spoke with them. But Impossible to get a hold of; all through voicemail which is challenging for someone working >60hrs a week... It's a factory. Well-run, but a factory. It's [Cornell Weill] a factory. Well-run, but a factory.
...Conflicting information specifically on expectations...Voicemail/hard to get a hold of esp for someone working hours without being able to pick up phone...Drugs weren't called in... for [Cornell] Weil I was just a number and because I didn't fit in their procedures on their conveyer belt, I was an outlier and probably from their records a "problem patient" pain in the a$$, we felt we received "low man on the totem pole" type of treatment, not their best not their standard
How was your experience with Owen Davis at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He is wonderful but we never saw him. I did refer a friend to him before I went, she went for 2 cycles and had great success. All-in he got 30k btwn me and my referrals. Would have appreciated some direct attention
It's a factory. Well-run, but a factory. Just feel like a pin cushion, throw your legs up, etc. not really their fault. Just a part of the process. Had very little interaction with Dr Davis himself.
Conveyor belt
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
1. Communication of what was permitted (conflicting information specifically on expectations) 2. Voicemail/hard to get a hold of esp for someone working hours without being able to pick up phone, 3. Drugs weren't called in cvs Caremark was reachable and communicative, but for Weil I was just a number and because I didn't fit in their procedures on their conveyer belt, I was an outlier and probably from their records a "problem patient" pain in the a$$, we felt we received "low man on the totem pole" type of treatment, not their best not their standard