Weill Cornell Medical College

Doctor available by emailDoctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Hong Kong
ResidencyU. of Rochester
FellowshipU. of of South Florida
1305 York Avenue
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pak Chung to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Weill Cornell Medical College to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Chung provided a good overview of the different levels of med protocols that the Cornell reproductive program utilizes (there are five different levels). He also explained that the 3 key ingredients for success are egg, sperm, and uterus. When my first IVF cycle that led to a transfer failed, he explained that it was a matter of luck. He remained optimistic and encouraged us to keep trying. He said that it's a matter of finding a good egg. From my perspective, my experience at Cornell would have been more optimal had I been able to see Dr. Chung all throughout monitoring, retrievals and transfers. Also, my very first IVF cycle was canceled because the eggs did not respond to the injectibles. I have since consulted with three other REs who stated they would not have recommended that particular protocol for my situation. But I do understand that it is generally a matter of trial and error and that each woman can respond differently to med protocols.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be your own health advocate and ask detailed questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Hundreds of women come for monitoring and appointments every day. Dr. Chung did his best to explain things but it is difficult to spend more than 15 minutes with a patient. It is also difficult to call or email and get a response directly from your specific doctor. After 4pm or 5pm there is an answering service. A message is sent to the attending on call for that particular evening and you get a call back about an hour or two later.
Describe the protocols Pak Chung used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
Cycle #1 - Micro-dose Lupron 2x daily 20units = 40 units daily until trigger Result - canceled after 10 days because no response Cycle #2 - Estrogen priming with patch commencing one week after ovulation; Gonal F 300u and Menopur 150u daily; Cetrotide Result - three eggs, 2 retrieved, 1 fertilized, D3 transfer; 8 cell no fragmentation; BFN Cycle #3 - same protocol as cycle #2 Result - 4 eggs, 4 retrieved, 1 immature, 2 fertilized, D3 transfer; 8 and 6 cell; BFN
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Juliana Shen and Christine Lu)
My primary nurses were responsive and compassionate. With regard to the nursing staff, because of the hundreds of patients, occasionally there will be a prescription mishap (forget to call pharmacy or call the wrong pharmacy) or provided with wrong instructions (instructed to come back next day for monitoring and blood work when you were just there that morning and follicles are still small).
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell has good success rates, skilled physicians, and good labs. However, the high volume of patients serves as a barrier to quality individual time with your RE. You will see different RE's throughout monitoring, retrieval, and transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Yes, it is a cattle call with hundreds of women waiting for blood draws and ultrasound. There were a handful of times I waited an hour to get my blood drawn. Once I waited over an hour and had to leave to get to work. I did not have blood drawn or tested that day and no one seemed to noticed I missed it.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College.
IVF $10,500 ICSI $2,630
Describe Pak Chung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell recommended 3-4 eggs for my age group.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
In my earlier response, I described Dr Chung as a very compassionate and supportive doctor. He has great bedside manner, and he never rushed me along. He is very caring. He did a couple of the ultrasounds and his technique was gentle. I've had other doctors at Cornell perform the ultrasound and it just felt like they were jabbing me and causing discomfort, without any recognition that it was painful.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Ask all your questions during the consult, he won't rush you. And he won't look at you like you're crazy.
Dr Chung was very compassionate, did not rush me through our consult, answered all my questions and concerns, and really took the time to make me feel heard. He called me personally after the retrieval to give me an update, and also called me to provide status on the embryo development. When the cycle didn't work out, he was very empathetic and supportive.
Follistim (300iu) daily and 150 Menopur, HCG trigger shot. Then progesterone shots after retrieval. We transferred 2 Day 3 embryos since they didn't look like they were going to make it to Day 5, so Dr Chung suggested we transfer at Day 3, hoping the embryos would be happier in the uterine environment since they weren't development as quickly as they should. Sadly, the embryos did not implant. The original goal was to do PGS testing on Day 5 embryos, but that didn't work out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I can't remember her name, but she was very organized and straightforward. Very responsive to my phone calls and questions. Always received a phone call back within 2 -3 hours.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell has a lot of patients, so their volume everyday is high. The downside of having monitoring hours only from 6:30-9am means that the wait could be long. I tended to go on the later end of monitoring, closer to 9am, so my time there was about 20-30 minutes. There have been times I've waited close to an hour for monitoring. The clinic is clean, spacious, and well-run. If I needed to talk to billing, they would try to accommodate me while I was there. There is also a genetic counselor in the office. Cornell also closes down for a couple of weeks, two times a year, June and December. This is to recalibrate all their equipment.
monitoring hours were from 6:30am - 9am. I had flexibility with my schedule so that allowed me to go later. the wait was about 20-30 minutes usually, with busy days up to an hour. i would prefer more flexible hours. the volume of patients here is so high that there are women waiting in line as early as 6am. The nurses call out your name when it's your turn, but the waiting area is so big, sometimes you can't hear them. And sometimes I was afraid to use the restroom in fear that I'd miss them calling my name.
approximate total for one round of IVF cost me about $22,000+. That includes medications which were around $5-6k. I was able to lower the estimated medication costs of $8K but receiving donations from friends that had unused medications. To use the hospital at NY Presbyterian (for retrievals and transfer) cost an additional $1100. The cycle itself cost about $10K, then additional fees for ICSI, embryo culture, egg freezing, and some other items I can't remember.
Upper East Side
He [Dr Chung] wasn't as warm as my other Doctor but he was great. He's nice and cracks a few jokes to lighten the mood. Any time I hear of someone having fertility issues I would send them to him in a heartbeat...I've never regretted my decision to go see Dr. Chung, my only regret is that I never tried an IUI at Cornell because I had exhausted all my benefits for it (and a personally paid one).
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I was referred to him after going to a private practice. He wasn't as warm as my other Doctor but he was great. He's nice and cracks a few jokes to lighten the mood. Any time I hear of someone having fertility issues I would send them to him in a heartbeat. He's in the baby making business and he's great at it...and he has all the resources at Cornell which put my expeience on a different playing field. My original Doctor told me day 1 - "we'll get you pregnant" which was all I wanted go hear at the time. I loved him but at this stage with Something so personal and upsetting you need more than a nice Doctor and a positive attitude. 5 clomid cycles and iui's later no baby I had to go to the professionals. Ive never regretted my decision to go see Dr. Chung, my only regret is that I never tried an IUI at Cornell because I had exhausted all my benefits for it (and a personally paid one). Watching IUIs discussed with other patients there it was a very different run operation that at my original Doctor.
Don't think twice. Go! You're one goal is to have a baby, they'll/he'll be your best odds. Just know you're going to a baby making factory, that's how you'll feel because that's what it is, and right now, that's what you need.
Not so much the doctor but the clinic is truly a baby making factory. That's why you're there and that's what their good at. When I saw Chung he was great and sweet and efficient but he checked, he explained and he left. Often times as you're getting closer to IVF you're there daily seeing whatever Doctor is there. Everyone at the clinic has a specific role, it's the most efficiently run operation I've ever seen. I didn't mind the way I was treated, I had 1 goal in mind and they knew how to accomplish it.
We used birth control to start my cycle, then 2 different kinds of injectables before the retrieval. Following the retrieval I was on progesterone injections until I was about 7 weeks pregnant.
Some were more compassionate than others. Some were better at drawing blood than others. Overall, you're experience with them is limited, short spurts but they were great.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Baby making factory. Efficiency like I've never seen in my life. Clean and nice but I must emphasize the efficiency.
I was working full time, so I went as early as possible. I was always one of the first 10 there so I was seen very quickly and had no trouble making it into work on time.
Insurance covered everythjng.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He [Dr. Pak Chung] personally calls you after every major result. He seems to genuinely care about your results. He has great bedside mannerisms...Explains things in great detail... Listens to my concerns. Adjusts the protocol appropriately. Performs further testing for further assessment of our issues...expect long descriptive answers and his honest opinion...FET 2 natural cycle w progesterone injections 1cc, baby aspirin and folic acid. BFN.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Great bedside mannerisms. Explains things in great detail. Seems to be genuinely concerned for our results. Listens to my concerns. Adjusts the protocol appropriately. Performs further testing for further assessment of our issues.
Ask questions, but expect long descriptive answers and his honest opinion.
He personally calls you after every major result. He seems to genuinely care about your results. He has great bedside mannerisms.
Egg retrieval gonal f, menopur and cetrotide. Fresh transfer: progesterone. BFN. FET 1. Natural cycle c progestrone suppositories. BFP, but miscarriage at 6 weeks. FET 2 natural cycle w progesterone injections 1cc, baby aspirin and folic acid. BFN.
The nurses were very compassionate. They remembered my case and seemed to really care about my outcomes.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It’s a large place, but it feels small because the team seems to remember you and your case. Since it is big during egg retrieval you don’t typically see your dr. I do feel like they could be more through w their initial assessments w patients prior to starting ivf.
Sometimes a long wait but sometimes not. Definitely felt like a factory.
It was covered under insurance
All of mine where single embryo transfers. FET were with PGS tested embryos he doesn’t recommend more than 1 w PGS.
Upper East Side
Dr Chung was extremely compassionate and had a good bedside manner. However, I only saw him 2x during my entire cycle and had a very difficult time getting a hold of him. Many times I had to wait over an hour for blood work and ultrasound only to be seen by a doctor I have never met... I hardly ever saw Dr Chung during my visits and could never get a hold of him to ask questions...If you have to go through Cornell, Dr Chung is one of the better choices but don't expect to see him often
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Chung was extremely compassionate and had a good bedside manner. However, I only saw him 2x during my entire cycle and had a very difficult time getting a hold of him. Many times I had to wait over an hour for blood work and ultrasound only to be seen by a doctor I have never met. The protocol he recommended was one that I had already done, which hadn't worked previously and didn't work with him. After changing clinics I saw better results elsewhere.
I waited upwards of 2 hrs per visit for ultrasound and bloodwork, I hardly ever saw Dr Chung during my visits and could never get a hold of him to ask questions.
Estrogen Patch Prime. Clomid + 150 Menopure and 150 Follistim.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine Lu)
Nurses were hard to get a hold of, sometimes 2-3 days to return a call. Could be very rude at times, likely due to the volume of women they saw daily.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weakness: Factory Feeling: Daily monitoring took a long time, waiting with 100+ other women, hard to get a hold of staff, etc.
About $12k for a full round
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
See prior entry about human vs. number.
With Dr. Chung, specifically, I always felt he tried very hard to be kind and to take the time to explain answers to questions. Before both of my embryo transfers, he called me to discuss the embryo quality and to give me his recommendations. When I had a number of questions, he suggested and did, in fact, meet with me in his office before each transfer to discuss details. Undergoing treatment at Cornell generally, it's virtually impossible not to feel like a number, particularly during the monitoring portion and the retrieval at the hospital. That said, Dr. Chung, at least for me, did his best given his caseload to provide individual care and attention. It was not perfect but overall I felt more like a human than a number under his care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Pak Chung's nurses: Julianna and Christine)
They are incredibly busy but usually return calls within the same business day. All conversations were very rushed so it was important to have a sense of my questions before we spoke.
The experience was hard as it was very impersonal. That said, with such a large volume of patients the focus is almost exclusively on moving people in and out. For this reason, I was usually in and out within 30-45 minutes.
Endometriosis, Immunological
He [Pak Chung] had a very humane approach to infertility treatment, and even though there were many reasons to suggest donor eggs, he emphasized that I had never done an IVF cycle and that there were also many positive factors in our case...Weill Cornell is a big operation so it is not super personal - I saw many drs other than Dr Chung during the stimulation phase ,and some were really brusque and cold. But I liked how organized the clinic was. It does feel like a factory but the good part of that is you never wait long and they know what they are doing. WHe I did see Dr Chung he was very warm and helpful. His nurses were great communicators.
Endometriosis, Immunological
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Know that Weill Cornell IVF is a bit of a factory and you will mostly be seeing nurses, but that he is overseeing everything. Ask as many questions in advance as you can.
He had a very humane approach to infertility treatment, and even though there were many reasons to suggest donor eggs, he emphasized that I had never done an IVF cycle and that there were also many positive factors in our case.
I don't remember that well - I was also getting IVIG, steroid, and other treatment separately via Dr Jonathan Scher who had diagnosed me with antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and with recurrent miscarriages.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
A bit of a facotry. But very organized.
It was crowded but I never waited more than 20 min. Many days I waited only 5.
2004 - 2011
IUI, 3 IVF
This was a long time ago, but I clearly remember being treated with respect and kindness. All of Dr. Chung's decisions were intelligent, well thought out, and well explained. He's a consummate professional. We had been using another clinic where the superstar doctor was very casual and blase, and the office was un-professional and sloppy. The change to Dr. Chung was, in my opinion, the reason we were successful.
2004 - 2011
IUI, 3 IVF
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I seem to remember that he was a bit soft spoken and reserved, so you must be very direct and listen closely to what he says. I'd give that advice to anyone for any encounter with a doctor.
He wasn't overly chatty, but he was very kind, clear, and compassionate. I have great respect for Dr. Pak Chung.
I don't remember specifics, but he was much more professional and exacting and scientific than our previous doctor. He's not going to be your best friend, but he was kind and compassionate, and he was excellent at his work and took it very seriously.
I don't remember any specifics, besides their being very professional.
Our twin birth was the very best thing that could have happened in our family. It was the ideal outcome. I do worry that our children are part of a specific trend, from a specific time in history, and that may negatively impact them in some way that I cannot yet predict.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
I have dimminished ovarian reserve. I also had a fibroid in my uterus which he [Dr. Pak Chung] removed. Both cycles were cancelled after 8-9 days. I was on higher meds the 2nd time...has a great bedside manor. Both my husband and I always felt at ease after reviewing everything with him...He was very tourough and helped us understand all of our options. He’s realistic without being down. Still hopeful but practical. Given our situation we needed the balance.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Chung was recommended from a friend who had great success and he was just what we needed. He was very tourough and helped us understand all of our options. He’s realistic without being down. Still hopeful but practical. Given our situation we needed the balance.
No real advice. He’s good. Go to him.
Chung has a great bedside manor. Both my husband and I always felt at ease after reviewing everything with him.
I don’t completely remember. I have dimminished ovarian reserve. I also had a fibroid in my uterus which he removed. Both cycles were cancelled after 8-9 days. I was on higher meds the 2nd time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Julianna )
Julianna was great. Very helpful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I would have loved more of a dietary protocol. I know all drs have different theories but in the age of google there’s so much info out there and I would have loved to learn more about nutrition and supplements.
Still working through.
Upper West Side
He [Dr. Chung] was really thoughtful, considerate and kind. He is a straight shooter and tells it like it is. He is very busy though and often times it could be hard to get in touch with him. He will eventually return calls but I often felt like there was not a ton of time spent analyzing my difficult case...Never changed my medicine during my actual IVF cycle. I did 6 cycles at this clinic and it was the same medicine / routine over and over again...Always called at night when he said he would.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He was really thoughtful, considerate and kind. He is a straight shooter and tells it like it is. He is very busy though and often times it could be hard to get in touch with him. He will eventually return calls but I often felt like there was not a ton of time spent analyzing my difficult case.
Cornell is a mad house, be ready to wait and be a number.
Spent a lot of time with patients going through the ultrasounds and bloodwork. Always called at night when he said he would.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
The nurses always seemed very busy and rushed. They did not have a ton of insight beyond letting me know what my daily medication would be.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: Huge clinic, has had experience with everything, lots of different doctors to consult with for opinions. Weakness: Mad house for monitoring hours, not a lot of specialized patient attention
Long waits, lots of women, cattle call.
roughly 25K for IVF cycle plus meds
Upper East Side
Dr Chung gave me my miracle baby., after my last doctor told me to use donor eggs. He looked at my file after our first cycle With him was a complete failure and told me he would not give up on me. He is truly what all doctors should be and I am forever grateful for him....It [Cornell] seemed to be a well oiled machine. All the nurses were so wonderful and caring, I am not an easy stick and they all knew me and knew exactly what to do.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Chung gave me my miracle baby., after my last docotor told me to use donor eggs. He looked at my file after our first cycle With him was a complete failure and told me he would not give up on me. He is truly what all doctors should be and I am forever grateful for him.
Trust him.. you are in good hands.
Dr Chung is an amazing doctor. My first retrival didn't go as planned . Dr Chung stuck with me every step of the way and made me feel like he truly cared.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Even though Weill Cornell is an international clinic.. it definitely doesn't feel like it. I felt like I had personalized attention every single visit.
It seemed to be a well oiled machine. All the nurses were so wonderful and caring, I am not an easy stick and they all knew me and knew exactly what to do.
2009 - 2012
2 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
2009 - 2012
Investor
2 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Pak Chung is a phenomenal reproductive endocrinologist. He has a warm bedside manner but is also very scientific and thorough in explaining the details of the procedures and results to his patients. When working with him you know you are in the best hands you could possibly be in. He is a wonderful combination of brilliant and relatable.
There is nothing negative to give advice about. I would just say you are making the right choice to go with him!
Dr. Chung always knew the details of my case without having to obviously refer to his notes. He engaged in discussions about more than just the treatment so we got to know him and he got to know us. He always greeted us with a big warm hello when he came in.
Every nurse I interacted with was extremely nice and warm and tried their best to make all of the procedures and needles as comfortable as possible.
2011 - 2012
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing
I couldn't say enough about him [Dr Chung]. He was wonderful. Caring, kind, intelligent, willing to listen to me, calmed my fears, set reasonable expectations, explored different paths when things didn't work, etc... Initially he wasn't super warm. Don't dismiss him because of that if he isn't super warm at first. He is wonderful.
2011 - 2012
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I couldn't say enough about him. He was wonderful. Caring, kind, intelligent, willing to listen to me, calmed my fears, set reasonable expectations, explored different paths when things didn't work, etc.
Monitoring was sometimes long. If you wanted to be in and out quickly, you arrived before it was open and waited. Then, it could move quickly. Otherwise, you might be there for a long time. There were lots of women.
Upper East Side
Dr Chung was very knowledgeable. He was very optimistic and approachable. Even after failed cycles, he remained positive which was very reassuring....He's difficult to understand so listen carefully!
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Chung was very knowledgable. He was very optimistic and approachable. Even after failed cycles, he remained positive which was very reassuring.
He's difficult to understand so listen carefully!
We did a few cycles of clomid followed by two IUI's
IUI's were covered by insurance so we only paid copay