6.7

Pak Chung works at

1305 York Avenue

Treated 2018 - 2019
Investor
We were living abroad when we went through the treatment with Dr. Chung. He makes an effort to go over the procedure and results with us either over the phone or in person when we were in NY. However, he does seem to be in a rush all the time...We did 3 retrievals with him, each time it failed to yield a PGTA normal embryo...we asked him multiple times to consider doing something different to improve the results but he refused.
[Weill Cornell has] a lot of patients cycle through so it's not as personal as a private clinic. Don't expect to see your doctor on every monitoring appointment. He / she may not do your retrieval or transfer. each doctor only does retrieval one day a week...The nurse had a hard time figure out how to coordinate with us because we were living overseas and did the first few days of monitoring outside of country. I would like to note the genetic counsel who communicated the final results to us was horrible. she had zero compassion and knowledge.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Pak Chung takes very straight and narrow approach to IVF , a process that has a lot variability. We did 3 retrievals with him, each time it failed to yield a PGTA normal embryo from a total of 14 highly rated day 5 embryos. Throughout the process, we asked him multiple times to consider doing something different to improve the results but he refused. We are now under the care of CCRM, the doctor there was very surprised by Dr. Chung's approach to stick with the same protocol after seeing the same results in 3 rounds. I think Dr. Chung's approach may work with 75% of the patients but if you have a tough/ unique case and requires the doctor to think out of box, you should not go to Dr. Chung. He sticks with the same general protocol. Being a part of an academic organization, the doctors there are super conservative. They would not go out of their way to help the patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
If you have a tough case and his protocol didn't work for the first time, I would think very hard about staying with him. Get a second opinion. Be prepared with questions when you meet with him. He can be very intimidating sometimes but you need to be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
We were living abroad when we went through the treatment with Dr. Chung. He makes an effort to go over the procedure and results with us either over the phone or in person when we were in NY. However, he does seem to be in a rush all the time so better get your questions prepared ahead of time.
Describe the protocols Pak Chung used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
I am a good responder to stim so he used the same protocol for all three rounds: 225 gonal F/ 150 Menopur then added grlx use 5000 IU HCG trigger
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The nurse had a hard time figure out how to coordinate with us because we were living overseas and did the first few days of monitoring outside of country. I would like to note the genetic counsel who communicated the final results to us was horrible. she had zero compassion and knowledge. her name was Ann Carlson. She didn't know how to explain our results and completely dismissed our results because they were abnormal. She would make these conclusions about the embryos without any data and told us it's based on her gut feeling. I am floored with how unprofessional she was. You should definitely request a different genetic counselor if you go to Cornell. She added so much stress to our process. We deserve better.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Go to Cornell for their lab - we got much better fertilization rate; They have a lot of patients cycle through so it's not as personal as a private clinic. Don't expect to see your doctor on every monitoring appointment. He / she may not do your retrieval or transfer. each doctor only does retrieval one day a week.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
cattle call but efficient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College.
mine was mostly covered by my insurance. Don't recall the exact cost
Describe Pak Chung's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
I think Cornell does up to 2 for day 5 and 3-4 for day 3 (not 100% sure)
What specific things went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Please see my note about the genetic counselor above. My recommendation is request a different one if you get assigned to Ann Carlson.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Chung provided a good overview of the different levels of med protocols that the Cornell reproductive program utilizes (there are five different levels). He also explained that the 3 key ingredients for success are egg, sperm, and uterus. When my first IVF cycle that led to a transfer failed, he explained that it was a matter of luck. He remained optimistic and encouraged us to keep trying. He said that it's a matter of finding a good egg. From my perspective, my experience at Cornell would have been more optimal had I been able to see Dr. Chung all throughout monitoring, retrievals and transfers. Also, my very first IVF cycle was canceled because the eggs did not respond to the injectibles. I have since consulted with three other REs who stated they would not have recommended that particular protocol for my situation. But I do understand that it is generally a matter of trial and error and that each woman can respond differently to med protocols.
Hundreds of women come for monitoring and appointments every day [to Cornell]. Dr. Chung did his best to explain things but it is difficult to spend more than 15 minutes with a patient. It is also difficult to call or email and get a response directly from your specific doctor. After 4pm or 5pm there is an answering service. A message is sent to the attending on call for that particular evening and you get a call back about an hour or two later.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be your own health advocate and ask detailed questions.
Hundreds of women come for monitoring and appointments every day. Dr. Chung did his best to explain things but it is difficult to spend more than 15 minutes with a patient. It is also difficult to call or email and get a response directly from your specific doctor. After 4pm or 5pm there is an answering service. A message is sent to the attending on call for that particular evening and you get a call back about an hour or two later.
Cycle #1 - Micro-dose Lupron 2x daily 20units = 40 units daily until trigger Result - canceled after 10 days because no response Cycle #2 - Estrogen priming with patch commencing one week after ovulation; Gonal F 300u and Menopur 150u daily; Cetrotide Result - three eggs, 2 retrieved, 1 fertilized, D3 transfer; 8 cell no fragmentation; BFN Cycle #3 - same protocol as cycle #2 Result - 4 eggs, 4 retrieved, 1 immature, 2 fertilized, D3 transfer; 8 and 6 cell; BFN
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Juliana Shen and Christine Lu)
My primary nurses were responsive and compassionate. With regard to the nursing staff, because of the hundreds of patients, occasionally there will be a prescription mishap (forget to call pharmacy or call the wrong pharmacy) or provided with wrong instructions (instructed to come back next day for monitoring and blood work when you were just there that morning and follicles are still small).
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell has good success rates, skilled physicians, and good labs. However, the high volume of patients serves as a barrier to quality individual time with your RE. You will see different RE's throughout monitoring, retrieval, and transfer.
Yes, it is a cattle call with hundreds of women waiting for blood draws and ultrasound. There were a handful of times I waited an hour to get my blood drawn. Once I waited over an hour and had to leave to get to work. I did not have blood drawn or tested that day and no one seemed to noticed I missed it.
IVF $10,500 ICSI $2,630
Cornell recommended 3-4 eggs for my age group.
What specific things went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My prescription had not been called in and it was after their office hours so left a message with the answering service and waited an hour at the pharmacy. A nurse left a voicemail on a Sunday evening instructing me to go back for monitoring the next morning. I had to leave a message with answering service and attendant on call called me back an hour later. Attendant confirmed I did not have to go back for monitoring the next morning.
Treated 2016
Dr Chung was extremely compassionate and had a good bedside manner. However, I only saw him 2x during my entire cycle and had a very difficult time getting a hold of him. Many times I had to wait over an hour for blood work and ultrasound only to be seen by a doctor I have never met... I hardly ever saw Dr Chung during my visits and could never get a hold of him to ask questions...If you have to go through Cornell, Dr Chung is one of the better choices but don't expect to see him often
I waited upwards of 2 hrs per visit for ultrasound and bloodwork [at Cornell]...Nurses were hard to get a hold of, sometimes 2-3 days to return a call. Could be very rude at times, likely due to the volume of women they saw daily...Weakness: Factory Feeling: Daily monitoring took a long time, waiting with 100+ other women, hard to get a hold of staff, etc...Many times I had to wait over an hour for blood work and ultrasound only to be seen by a doctor I have never met.
How was your experience with Pak Chung at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr Chung was extremely compassionate and had a good bedside manner. However, I only saw him 2x during my entire cycle and had a very difficult time getting a hold of him. Many times I had to wait over an hour for blood work and ultrasound only to be seen by a doctor I have never met. The protocol he recommended was one that I had already done, which hadn't worked previously and didn't work with him. After changing clinics I saw better results elsewhere.
I waited upwards of 2 hrs per visit for ultrasound and bloodwork, I hardly ever saw Dr Chung during my visits and could never get a hold of him to ask questions.
Estrogen Patch Prime. Clomid + 150 Menopure and 150 Follistim.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Christine Lu)
About $12k for a full round